PDA

View Full Version : Guess who could be re-signing with the Spurs...

Pages : [1] 2

SenorSpur
07-01-2010, 01:57 AM
As if fans and the Spurs FO hadn't already endured enough misery from his perennial playoff choking, now this, according to Jeff McDonald:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/free_agent_bonner_may_bounce_back_to_spurs_9755085 9.html

Richard Jefferson wasn't the only Spurs player to hit free agency Wednesday night. Four other notable players also became free agents, albeit much more expectedly than Jefferson.

Matt Bonner, Roger Mason Jr., Keith Bogans and Ian Mahinmi had their contracts expire at 11:01 p.m. CDT, as free agency's opening bell sounded.

Of those four, only Bonner stands a significant chance of coming back. The Spurs value his unique skill set as a 3-point shooting center/forward, which they could be hard-pressed to find on the free-agent market.

Bonner's agent, Kenny Grant, said formal talks with the Spurs have not yet begun, but he expects them to start soon.

“Matt wants to be a Spur, and I'd imagine they want him back, too,” Grant said.

The Spurs are open to bringing back Bonner, but only if the price is right.

A career 40.5 percent shooter from 3-point range, Bonner made $3.2 million last season. He averaged 7.0 points and 3.3 rebounds and shot 39 percent from 3-point range, despite missing 17 games after breaking his hand in December.

gospursgojas
07-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Bonner is ok from the bench... NOT A STARTER

4>0rings
07-01-2010, 02:00 AM
If he comes back in any way shape or form... then FUCK THE SPURS and they deserve to be losers.

EricB
07-01-2010, 02:01 AM
The price being the veterans minimum....

Amuseddaysleeper
07-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Bonner could turn into the next Finley, as in a player that gets way more minutes than he deserves. That's why I'm hesitant to even have Bonner for the veteran's minimum. Pop still might be too in love with the stretch big, but like Bogans, you can't turn players into something they're not. It just kills the entire team.

Bruno
07-01-2010, 02:03 AM
I hope Spurs won't bring him back. Even at the min and even at the deep end of the bench, it will be a bad move.

Bonner has no upside and chokes in the playoffs. I don't see what he could bring to Spurs.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2010, 02:04 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/funny-pictures-unpolitical-cat-is-on-a-fence.jpg

objective
07-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Bonner re-signed would be a nightmare and the leading indicator of the window being closed.

Chieflion
He is a better insurance big than Brian Cardinal.

angelbelow
vet min please

timtonymanu
OH GOD NO!!!

I cant stomach seeing this guy in a Spurs uni.

baseline bum
07-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Fuck this shit. First they convince Jefferson to opt out of his final year and now they want to bring this worthless piece of shit back? What the fuck, RC? Maybe he should have been allowed to interview with Portland after all.

EricB
07-01-2010, 02:09 AM
vet min please

Thats all he'll be offered...

sananspursfan21
07-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Bonner w/ more than 10 min. = :(

Bonner w/ less than 10 min. = :)

slick'81
07-01-2010, 02:12 AM
for the min and 5th big minutes fine but i really dont want him back

EricB
07-01-2010, 02:18 AM
If Splitter is brought over, with McDyess and Blair, there really is no time left over for Bonner.

Again, his agent says Bonner wants to go back and the Spurs are "open" to it.

But again, that doesn't mean the Spurs WANT him back nor are they CLAMORING.

Its a very one sided street and you don't read reports of RC being up right now calling Bonner, so there....

Skywalker
07-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Bonner has got talent, and with Splitter down low, he should see more open looks.

He can be used to rack up qtr 1-3 regular season minutes in the big man rotation and help ensure that TD is allowed to ride the pine and get limited minutes until qtr 4 of most games and up til april when TD's minutes can start to be ramped up a bit.

Fresh TD in april/may/june means title contenders.

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 02:47 AM
:lol

If Bonner is retained as a fifth Big now that they've seemingly got the ability to pay him without going into the tax, I don't see the problem. He'd eat minutes during the regular season when he's useful and be a non-factor come the playoffs by choice and not his play -- Duncan, Splitter, Blair and 'Dyess will be all they really need in the playoffs.

Bonner's fine if you're not depending on him. If he's willing to come back as the fifth Big, I'm not going to be up in arms. What other athletic Big or shooting Big is out there that you'd really want over Bonner as your fifth in the rotation?

tdunk21
07-01-2010, 02:49 AM
if bonner gets a contract then ian deserves to get a contract too....he is too young to let him sign some where else...

The Truth #6
07-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Seriously. Fuck Bonner. Nice guy but so is my neighbor and I don't want him shooting in the playoffs either.

Something is seriously wrong when Ian can't get minutes yet our three other castaways kept getting chance after chance.

Bonner comes back and I agree the window is closed. That's just the wrong message. It says we accept mediocrity and softness. I'd rather roll the dice with someone young and unproven.

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 03:10 AM
I agree, the Spurs' fifth Big will decide whether this team wins a championship or not.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 03:17 AM
If they get Splitter, signing Bonner is fine -- though I'd just as soon tryout Rob Kurz or someone similar who would seem to be in line for the same amount of minutes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Fuck. Re-sign Mahinmi for the minimum for fucksake, and play him 24-30mins during Nov-Dec to give plenty of rest to Tim (or Dice). This seems like a no-brainer to me - give the kid some run, save Tim's legs. We don't need Tim to take the court until January.

NBA teams have to start thinking about using the ends of their benches more in the first two months of the season, especially to rest aging stars.

ploto
07-01-2010, 03:24 AM
I hope Spurs won't bring him back. Even at the min and even at the deep end of the bench, it will be a bad move.

Bonner has no upside and chokes in the playoffs. I don't see what he could bring to Spurs.

Just like bringing back Finley. If he is there, Pop will play him.

silverblk mystix
07-01-2010, 03:27 AM
FUCK

WHY?

take those 3.2 mil and add them to the LLE and get a real player who won't choke in crunch time...bonner sucks as bad as finley did...

if bonner is re-signed--the spurs are heading in the wrong direction again...

2011?

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Tim's going to play 30min/per.

Tiago would play around 30min/per.

Blair and 'Dyess will combined for around 30min/per.

Are you telling me it'd be that terrible to have Bonner playing 6-10 min/per?

Whether it's Kurz, Tolliver, or any other low-cost option, I just don't see how the Spurs would be in better shape than with a guy they know (for better or worse) and that knows the system.

This is such a non-issue if he returns as their fifth Big playing behind Duncan, Splitter, Blair and 'Dyess . . .

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 03:28 AM
take those 3.2 mil and add them to the LLECan't do that.

picnroll
07-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Maybe this will make Sheed reconsider retirement.

silverblk mystix
07-01-2010, 03:32 AM
Can't do that.

ok...

then sign someone else for the 3.2...bonner has had MORE than enough chances to show what he is made of...

and he always choked when he was needed the most.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 03:33 AM
then sign someone else for the 3.2Can't do that either -- unless you don't want Splitter here.

silverblk mystix
07-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Can't do that either -- unless you don't want Splitter here.

are you saying it is bonner or nothing?

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 03:43 AM
are you saying it is bonner or nothing?Not at all.

Bruno
07-01-2010, 03:48 AM
I agree, the Spurs' fifth Big will decide whether this team wins a championship or not.

Of course, it's way less important who is the 5th big compared to who is a starting SF. However, it doesn't mean that Spurs shouldn't try to do their best to fill that spot.

I think Spurs can and should do better than Bonner for that spot. It could be either a reliable vet or a young player.

angelbelow
07-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Of course, it's way less important who is the 5th big compared to who is a starting SF. However, it doesn't mean that Spurs shouldn't try to do their best to fill that spot.

I think Spurs can and should do better than Bonner for that spot. It could be either a reliable vet or a young player.

Was about to post this. Hopefully we can find someone within that price range (vet min) that perhaps has more potential than bonner does. Easier said then done, all in all i wouldnt mind bonner back as the 5th.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Well sure, I'd take Tolliver now that he can hit some threes. Anyone else?

Bruno
07-01-2010, 03:56 AM
Was about to post this. Hopefully we can find someone within that price range (vet min) that perhaps has more potential than bonner does. Easier said then done, all in all i wouldnt mind bonner back as the 5th.

I would also take a vet player with limited upside but who doesn't choke in the playoffs over Bonner. Players like Massenburg or Willis have been solid end of the bench bigmen for Spurs.

Skywalker
07-01-2010, 03:57 AM

Blackjack, with all due respect, if the plan is to have TD play 30 minutes per game in the regular season, then the season is lost before it begins.

I want him playing 20 minutes a game. Maybe 8 in the 4th when it matters most.

We should heed the lessons learned from last season.
TD carried the team early, and was out of gas when needed most.

Rest him for when it counts. The acquisition of Splitter will make this possible.

Danny.Zhu
07-01-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm ok with a vet-min.

Interrohater
07-01-2010, 04:05 AM
I'll take Bonner back, he's not as bad as a lot of posters are making him out to be. His defense got better, he developed a little bit of an in-between game and he knows the system. We could do a lot worse for an insurance option. Guys, you realize that we can't have all-stars backing up all-stars. Bonner is not a bad role-player. I understand that we were all let down with Bonner a couple of years ago, but he's a very serviceable big that meshes well with the team. I hope they re-sign him.

mingus
07-01-2010, 04:10 AM
i was hoping Matt could take Ryan Richards under his wing and show him how to be a stretch 4.

CubanMustGo
07-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Didn't Kori explicitly ask us not to post MYSA stories b/c the E-N threatened legal action?

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Now you've done it.

Interrohater
07-01-2010, 04:24 AM
i was hoping Matt could take Ryan Richards under his wing and show him how to be a stretch 4.

I'm pretty sure that was their intention upon drafting him. They would send him to Austin to learn from the other Bonner, then call him up to learn from Awesome Bonner.

Ice009
07-01-2010, 06:16 AM

He's choked twice in the playoffs. These types of players the Spurs never bring back. It would be idiotic if they bring him back.

underdawg
07-01-2010, 06:36 AM
is it possible to believe that the 3rd, 4th and 5th big man will get much more playing time than years past? Wouldn't that make those 3 players more valuable than ever before? I think it's funny that there are those that are fooled into thinking Bonner will get small minutes. He's a shooter and not a pressure shooter at that - don't make him out to be more because he hustles and his defense has gone from crappy to kinda crappy.

We need length even at the 5th big man mainly because Tim and Antonio will need rest, Splitter will be learning the system and there are going to be times that Blair is just too small.

johnnySpurs
07-01-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm not a Bonner fan by any stretch of the imagination, but he is arguably our best and most consistent 3pt shooter which is a pretty shameful thought in itself. Though he really does not bring anything else to the table.

Like many Spurs fans I'd prefer to see Mahinmi get some real minutes.,. we really have had no opportunity to see what he is capable of in the NBA. However, in the right role I can understand bringing Bonner back.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 06:51 AM
If you sign him, he will play.

http://robrozicki.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/if-you-build-it-they-will-come1.png

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2010, 06:56 AM
the fkn problem with bonner i have with him, his fkn passive sometimes or non existent on the court, but he has no problem pulling the trigger....

i like how he attacks the basket when the other team is disrespecting his inside game hahahaha....whats that he had last season, 2-3 take it to the hole for a jam, why doesnt he do this more often...3m a year to be a passive softcock gtfo...

Fabbs
07-01-2010, 07:20 AM

Not to mention the attitude and continued message it displays.
Suck in playoffs, steal minutes from more deserving players? You'll be rewarded in *Pops System*.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 07:26 AM

If that 5th big is Bonner then, sarcasm aside, you would be effectively closing the window, since there's no chance in hell Pop uses him as the 5th big. I actually see Blair losing minutes to him.

Do not want. Thanks but no thanks.

SenorSpur
07-01-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm not a Bonner fan by any stretch of the imagination, but he is arguably our best and most consistent 3pt shooter which is a pretty shameful thought in itself. Though he really does not bring anything else to the table.

Like many Spurs fans I'd prefer to see Mahinmi get some real minutes.,. we really have had no opportunity to see what he is capable of in the NBA. However, in the right role I can understand bringing Bonner back.

None of that matters because Bonner doesn't produce in the playoffs.

Bonner is like that old car you've kept around for sentimental reasons. You're very comfortable driving it to the grocery store around the corner. However, you wouldn't dare trust it enough to take it on a long road trip out of town, because it's so unreliable.

We've all seen this movie before - and it sucks. Why the FO still puts faith in this guy is beyond me? There is absolutely no excuse to waste a roster spot on a rotation player, who is a proven playoff choker. He doesn't deserve a roster spot.

I'd rather they resign Ian, as a 5th big. Or even taking a chance on Tolliver would be better than him.

SenorSpur
07-01-2010, 07:32 AM
well sure, i'd take tolliver now that he can hit some threes. Anyone else?

+1

benefactor
07-01-2010, 07:55 AM
No. I don't care what the price tag is.

elbamba
07-01-2010, 07:58 AM
I am ok if they bring him back at 1- 1.5 million a year. Anything more would not make sense to me.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Senor Spur obviously thinks highly of Jeff McDonald's opinion.

Why? I don't know.

hsxvvd
07-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Brian Scalabrine is also a free agent?

Sign em both. :lol

Dr. Gonzo
07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
if bonner gets a contract then ian deserves to get a contract too....he is too young to let him sign some where else...

Bonner is a better NBA player than Ian, and don't give me this "he never got a chance" bullshit. He has every chance to prove himself to the coaching staff in practice and apparently can't do that.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Brian Scalabrine is also a free agent?

Sign em both. :lol

Twin Gingers

Chieflion
07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Twin Gingers

http://gazetteonline.com/files/2009/11/3443.jpg

Brian Cardinal feels left out. He will dye his hair red.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 08:18 AM
He has every chance to prove himself to the coaching staff in practice and apparently can't do that.

No he doesn't.

Spurs practices throughout the season consist of game planning for the opposition and developing small wrinkles in their defense and offense accordingly.

The other half of the practice is made up of a light shoot around.

Spurs don't have the time or the legs to have full fledged practices/ scrimmages during the year.

Mahinmi's practices consist of mainly individual drills and 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 after practice to stay in shape with the rest of the players that have a hard time finding time on the floor.

Dr. Gonzo
07-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Bonner is a better NBA player than Ian, and don't give me this "he never got a chance" bullshit. He has every chance to prove himself to the coaching staff in practice and apparently can't do that.

But, but, but I saw Ian play against the Nets and he alters shots, is tall and young. Popabitch ruined him. He could have been an All-Star!!!

I hope he leaves and wins 10 titles all of them against the Spurs in the Finals because that's how big of a Spurs fan I am. :cry:cry:cry

coyotes_geek
07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
With the number of roster spots that need to be filled and the limited number of exceptions available to bring in players, Bonner coming back was always pretty much a given IMO. If nothing else he'll be able to eat up some regular season minutes and I'm fine with that.

SenorSpur
07-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Senor Spur obviously thinks highly of Jeff McDonald's opinion.

Why? I don't know.

It's not faith in McDonald's opinion, it's more a familiarity with Pop's man-crush on certain players - the Big Red-Headed 3-pt chucker being one.

mystargtr34
07-01-2010, 08:26 AM
But, but, but I saw Ian play against the Nets and he alters shots, is tall and young. Popabitch ruined him. He could have been an All-Star!!!

I hope he leaves and wins 10 titles all of them against the Spurs in the Finals because that's how big of a Spurs fan I am. :cry:cry:cry

Probably the same thing Laker fans were saying about Andrew Bynum when he was putting up 3 and 2 with 5 fouls during his first two years.

Creation88
07-01-2010, 08:27 AM
this off season just got worse. WTF are they thinking. Jefferson and Bonner being brought back are the Spurs putting the noose around their own necks.

i bet the fucktards that want RJ back are championing Bonner. neither of which do absolutely nothing for this team other than fill a roster spot.

coyotes_geek
07-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Probably the same thing Laker fans were saying about Andrew Bynum when he was putting up 3 and 2 with 5 fouls during his first two years.

Please tell me you're not trying to compare Ian to Bynum.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 08:35 AM
this off season just got worse. WTF are they thinking. Jefferson and Bonner being brought back are the Spurs putting the noose around their own necks.

i bet the fucktards that want RJ back are championing Bonner. neither of which do absolutely nothing for this team other than fill a roster spot.

Considering Mason, Finley and Bogans all equated to 8 million last season, Jefferson at 8 million a year is really good value.

That is a better situation than having James Jones starting at small forward.

In regards of Bonner, I hope Spurs don't plan on bringing him back, but I understand the move if he comes back for a fraction of last year's salary. I would rather fill the 5th big spot with a young, up and coming player who could be an asset to the future as well as the present. (Mahinmi is one that fits that criteria)

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Please tell me you're not trying to compare Ian to Bynum.

Such a comparison is not fair to Ian.

montgod
07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Even though I am not a big fan of re-signing Bonner, the addition of Tiago, Anderson, and maybe another good addition could help open things up a bit more when Bonner is actually on the floor. I know I know... I am just trying to figure out what the Spurs FO would be thinking.

rascal
07-01-2010, 08:41 AM

Whether it's Kurz, Tolliver, or any other low-cost option, I just don't see how the Spurs would be in better shape than with a guy they know (for better or worse) and that knows the system.

This is such a non-issue if he returns as their fifth Big playing behind Duncan, Splitter, Blair and 'Dyess . . .

Bonner has been given enough chances. Bonner should not get a regular spot in the rotation and any injury to a big that will happen. Its better he is not on the roster.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Obviously I am in the minority on this, but I've said in the past (and my stance has not changed) that I don't mind the Spurs bringing back Bonner as our 5th big at a vet minimum deal. Bonner actually improved in a few areas this year, although his ceiling is extremely low in just about every area other than 3 pt. shooting. With that being said, throughout the year I was puzzled with so many posters hating on him when he was the only player on our team that could sink a shot beyond the arc. That was our biggest weakness, moreso last year than any year in recent memory, and everyone is ready to get rid of the only player that can hit a 3.

I won't be heartbroken or lose any sleep if he goes elsewhere, but I'm not ready to start searching for another team to root for if the Spurs offer him a very reasonable deal to be a bench player either.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Obviously I am in the minority on this, but I've said in the past (and my stance has not changed) that I don't mind the Spurs bringing back Bonner as our 5th big at a vet minimum deal. Bonner actually improved in a few areas this year, although his ceiling is extremely low in just about every area other than 3 pt. shooting. With that being said, throughout the year I was puzzled with so many posters hating on him when he was the only player on our team that could sink a shot beyond the arc. That was our biggest weakness, moreso last year than any year in recent memory, and everyone is ready to get rid of the only player that can hit a 3.

I won't be heartbroken or lose any sleep if he goes elsewhere, but I'm not ready to start searching for another team to root for if the Spurs offer him a very reasonable deal to be a bench player either.

Because he promptly returned everything he scored at the other end. He also can't even do what he does best in the playoffs while getting the minutes.
Furthermore, it taxes Tim because he's normally paired with him, and TD ends up having to do most if not all of the grunt work inside the paint.

This is not hate, it's just being realistic. He was not as bad last season as, say, Mason. But then you're just setting the bar way too low. Time to move on to greener pastures.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Because he promptly returned everything he scored at the other end. He also can't even do what he does best in the playoffs while getting the minutes.
Furthermore, it taxes Tim because he's normally paired with him, and TD ends up having to do most if not all of the grunt work inside the paint.

This is not hate, it's just being realistic. He was not as bad last season as, say, Mason. But then you're just setting the bar way too low. Time to move on to greener pastures.

Again, I may be in the minority here - but I saw many times down the stretch where Bonner played solid/pretty good defense. This is one of those few areas that I noted an improvement. Don't get me wrong, I'm not clamoring for him to get All Defensive Team votes - but he actually surprised a me a lot with his play on the defensive end on numerous occasions. I believe he also improved as a rebounder, but not to the point that it would be his strength.

Anyways, I think that a lot of this hate is based on the time that we've suffered through seeing Matt as a starter and that obviously would not be the case if the Spurs bring him back. As a 5th big off the bench, Bonner is far more palatable.

Samr
07-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Bonner is better than a lot of the other options out there, most importantly because he is already familiar with the Spurs' system, but also because his "skill" set is kind of interesting. If the Spurs are going to sign a 4th or 5th option backup big (behind Duncan, Splitter, McD, Blair), they could do a lot worse.

I think most Spurs fans have a problem with the guy just because he plays big minutes and has a decent contract. I don't see him doing either of those two if he returns, so I say have at it.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 09:32 AM
We're not going to agree. But let me reiterate:

The idea that Matt Bonner would be the 5th big on the bench is laughable. He would be the 3rd/4th big, that is, integral part of the bench rotation.

Creation88
07-01-2010, 09:32 AM
none of you guys better bitch about him getting burned up by Dirk next season. Bonner does not belong here. that is a failed experiment.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 09:52 AM
none of you guys better bitch about him getting burned up by Dirk next season. Bonner does not belong here. that is a failed experiment.

With all due respect, how many bench players around the league don't "get burned up by Dirk"? Wouldn't you expect to see one of the NBA's elite players taking advantage of a player like Bonner? Who would we get for the LLE or vet min that we could put on a player like Dirk that would be effective?

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
We're not going to agree. But let me reiterate:

The idea that Matt Bonner would be the 5th big on the bench is laughable. He would be the 3rd/4th big, that is, integral part of the bench rotation.

I apologize for any offense because I honestly respect your stance - and I have no issue agreeing to disagree. :toast

Normally I would agree with your assessment of where Bonner's place on the bench would be, but with Splitter coming over (fingers crossed) even Pop wouldn't put Bonner ahead of Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, or Blair IMHO.

coyotes_geek
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
none of you guys better bitch about him getting burned up by Dirk next season.

...........because there are just bunches and bunches of Dirk-stopping D-leaguers eager to sign league minimum contracts who would be much better fits for the Spurs.

vander
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Bonner should be able to get more minutes and more money elsewhere.

Dr. Gonzo
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
With all due respect, how many bench players around the league don't "get burned up by Dirk"? Wouldn't you expect to see one of the NBA's elite players taking advantage of a player like Bonner? Who would we get for the LLE or vet min that we could put on a player like Dirk that would be effective?

Ian can stop Dirk. He is young and tall. That's all thatis required to be a great player in the minds of many of these posters.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Ian can stop Dirk. He is young and tall. That's all thatis required to be a great player in the minds of many of these posters.

Shouldn't your first sentence be in blue? :lol:toast

HarlemHeat37
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Positives:

-Bonner is a good regular season player, so he could help there..

-Bonner gives the Spurs spacing, they desperately need it..

-Bonner played well this season when he wasn't playing serious minutes and matching up with the other team's bench(before his injury)..

-Spurs need a 5th big that brings a different dimension to the team, and Bonner does that..

Negatives:

-Bonner is a playoff choker, and this will never change..he was neutered a long time ago..

-Bonner will more than likely not be a 5th big under Pop, there's always the serious chance that Pop plays him too many minutes..for the people that believe there's no chance that Bonner gets big minutes, this is what we also said about Finley for years..

-The Spurs still need an athletic big man, maybe a shot blocker, and Bonner doesn't bring that..

Bonner's negatives outweigh his positives..

Brazil
07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Shouldn't your first sentence be in blue? :lol:toast

I missed this blue story, someboday can explain to me ?

Dr. Gonzo
07-01-2010, 10:01 AM
The thing I have always liked about Bonner is his hustle. I hate when he has the ball in his hands or takes a shot but he does bring in some energy when the rest of the team seems to not care. With that said the Spurs could do worse with the vet minimum.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 10:02 AM

I hope you're right.

galvatron3000
07-01-2010, 10:05 AM

Agreed!

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I missed this blue story, someboday can explain to me ?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sarcastic%20blue

1. sarcastic blue

on a message forum using the color blue to show that you are being sarcastic. Started at IMDB Avatar and Naruto forums.

underdawg
07-01-2010, 10:11 AM

If he is a better NBA player, it's not by much - both will get close to min and I doubt many teams out there will be pursuing boner. Argue what you want about practice (just your assumptions with no evidence) - boner got minutes and was mediocre overall.

Brazil
07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sarcastic%20blue

1. sarcastic blue

on a message forum using the color blue to show that you are being sarcastic. Started at IMDB Avatar and Naruto forums.

Thx !

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
boner got minutes and was mediocre overall.

:lmao

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Thx !

:toast

ElNono
07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I apologize for any offense because I honestly respect your stance - and I have no issue agreeing to disagree. :toast

Ofcourse, we're just exchanging ideas here. No offense taken at all.

Normally I would agree with your assessment of where Bonner's place on the bench would be, but with Splitter coming over (fingers crossed) even Pop wouldn't put Bonner ahead of Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, or Blair IMHO.

I think he'll be behind Duncan/Splitter. Most likely replacing Splitter from the bench, since Pop loves to use him with TD on the court. Unfortunately, that also means more work for Duncan. I see McDyess having his minutes shortened through the regular season, much like what Pop did with Horry in his last season, and partially last season.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Let's hope so. You should follow him where he goes too.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
No more Bonner. Enough is enough. I would rather give Ryan Richards a run.

underdawg
07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
:lmao

What team other than the Spurs does boner crack the rotation with?

ElNono
07-01-2010, 10:20 AM

Probably teams that don't expect to be in the hunt for a title... there's a handful of those out there.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Forgive me, I was actually laughing at the phrase that I quoted - not the point that you were making. Go back and read what I quoted and I bet you'll find the statement quite humorous - as in a "That's what she said!" kind of way. :lol

boner got minutes and was mediocre overall.

HarlemHeat37
07-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Bonner would be a very solid player on a non-playoff team TBH..he thrives in non-pressure situations..

YoMamaIsCallin
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Are you people kidding me? Bonner is a WAY better NBA player than Mahinmi or Tolliver. You just have to actually watch the games to see this. Do you really think Popovich would not have played Mahinmi or Tolliver ahead of Bonner if they showed they could truly compete and not hurt the team?

Look I was as big a fan as anyone of Mahinmi. I watched him in the summer leagues. I rooted for him every time he got in a game. It... just... wasn't... there, people. He never made real progress. The fouling, the inability to blend into the team defensive schemes, the inconsistency on offense, just didn't allow Popovich to keep him on the floor.

Look, Bonner will never be a starter quality player. But he's a decent bench guy. And he gets the system. And he actually worked very hard to improve his defense because that's what Popovich wanted from him. He's never going to be an outstanding one-on-one defender, but he's stepped it up a lot from where he was when he started.

You also have to look at "who'd you get to replace him in that role". The question is not whether Bonner's a great player or not, it's replacement value. Plus there's the fact that he knows the system and fits in. Starting over is probably not the Spurs' best option.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 10:30 AM

There's probably a few teams in the league that would like to have a 40.5% career 3-point shooter on the court. I could be wrong, though.

For the record, Bonner's career 3PT% is only top 20 in the NBA all-time. No biggie.

Leetonidas
07-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Ugh...Bonner will help us win some games in the regular season no doubt, but he ain't gonna do jack shit in the playoffs. I don't mind him on this team for the minimum at the end of the bench but like you guys said, I think Pop will try to play him too much. Then again, if we have Splitter, that automatically limits his minutes, and Bonner will allow McDyess to rest more during the regular season.

As long as Tim, Splitter, and Blair are leading the team in PF/C minutes and Bonner/Dice are getting 15 or less a game, then all should be well. But in the playoffs, fuck that ginger, glue his ass to the bench.

Brazil
07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
For me it's anyway between Ian and Bonner and I think Pop will always take the big who potentially can hit a 3 once in a while. You have already seen that with Scola. In pop's mind pop, matt>scola / ian / tyrus / theo... :(

Agloco
07-01-2010, 10:43 AM

I hope you're right.

I'm with Mel on this one, but really now.....

Does the master of the Hoagie and Pontiac Grand Prix really have a care for money? :lol

vander
07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Probably teams that don't expect to be in the hunt for a title... there's a handful of those out there.

he'll probably have a better shot at a title elsewhere too

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 10:56 AM

He has my best wishes. Bon Voyage, Red Rocket. May you have many happy landings for some other NBA franchise.

thOOdee
07-01-2010, 11:01 AM
maybe their really is some romance going on between pop and bonner......

ElNono
07-01-2010, 11:07 AM
There's probably a few teams in the league that would like to have a 40.5% career 3-point shooter on the court. I could be wrong, though.

For the record, Bonner's career 3PT% is only top 20 in the NBA all-time. No biggie.

He's also a career 32% 3-point shooter in the playoffs... That make him what, top-50000 NBA All-time?

ElNono
07-01-2010, 11:08 AM

I can see that. In a Finley-in-Boston kinda role. :tu

Pauleta14
07-01-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't see the point of signing a player who performs ONLY during the regular season...

I hope this rumor comes only from his agent.

Chomag
07-01-2010, 11:15 AM
What would be the point when everything he does dosn't even matter come playoff time?

J_Paco
07-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Please, if Bonner is brought back everyone should prepare themselves for a repeat of last season. Bonner will either start to begin the season or take minutes away from McDyess, Blair or Splitter. We've seen from years part that 1) Pop will play Bonner exclusively with Duncan because he "stretches" the court, 2) Pop gradually increases players minutes that are new to the system or not at all (Oberto, McDyess and Thomas) and 3) Pop will likely reduce the minutes of either, or both, of Tim Duncan and McDyess throughout the season.

All these examples lead me to believe that Bonner won't just comeback in a limited capacity, but will be a critical 5th big man throughout the season. That means more work for anyone that plays alongside him since Bonner neither defends nor rebounds well for his position. He's a liability and if after 3 or 4 seasons the Spur front-office can't realize this, then the team is doomed to repeat the last two seasons failures.

timvp
07-01-2010, 11:30 AM
We saw last year how having too many wing players who wanted minutes ended up being a distraction and hurt the chemistry. If Splitter is signed, the Spurs don't need much from a fifth big. The best fit is a veteran who can be counted on to play without having consistent minutes. Bonner doesn't fit that role.

Sigz
07-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Do the Spurs not get it?

Matt Bonner is fucking pathetic. He has shown time and time again to be a complete playoff choke.

WHY the fuck do they want to continue with this Bonner experiment? It didn't work out....

jermaine
We saw last year how having too many wing players who wanted minutes ended up being a distraction and hurt the chemistry. If Splitter is signed, the Spurs don't need much from a fifth big. The best fit is a veteran who can be counted on to play without having consistent minutes. Bonner doesn't fit that role.

Watch it Mr. Timvp! I happen to like Bonner. He's my brotha from anotha motha!

Cane
I hated Bonner and the Spurs FO's guts for trying to make him a starting big man, but as a reserve he's not as bad. He offers range, corporate knowledge, and even has a running hook shot nowadays.

He was having a pretty good season until he broke his hand too. His 3-point shot usually stays at home especially during the playoffs but the Spurs are going to be hard pressed to find a 4/5 that can hit from downtown and have a great +/-.

However I don't think the Spurs are going to be able to afford the Red Rocket. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him on a team with a lot of capspace since most of those teams have zero bigs. He could fit in well in Mike D'Antoni's 3-point happy system.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
He's also a career 32% 3-point shooter in the playoffs... That make him what, top-50000 NBA All-time?

I didn't say I want him in my starting 5 for the NBA Finals. I was just pointing out that he has a legitimate NBA skill. Those who act like he's a worthless scrub who has no business playing basketball, much less in the NBA, do a disservice to both Bonner and the collective intelligence of people on this board.

TimDunkem
07-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Why the fuck do people use the term "Bonner experiment"? He's not an experiment, but an important piece in the Spurs system. The Spurs need Bonner and he needs them. Why else did they rely so much on his choking ass the past two seasons?

J_Paco
07-01-2010, 11:43 AM

Or a young big that has potential that can accept sporadic minutes and a bigger opportunity the following season. The Spurs can't just rely on another veteran presence working out, since it didn't happen last season with Ratliff, and should keep most of their options open.

Why the fuck do people use the term "Bonner experiment"? He's not an experiment, but an important piece in the Spurs system. The Spurs need Bonner and he needs them. Why else did they rely so much on his choking ass the past two seasons?

He was primarily meant as the "successor" to Robert Horry as the perimeter 4. But, he failed miserably two post-seasons in a row and should be castaway. The Spurs need to look for new avenues to find a strong candidate for 5th big man in their rotation.

Pauleta14
07-01-2010, 11:46 AM
I wonder if the FO also takes into account the "oppinion" of the fan base...

They can't ignore that NOBODY want him back, I just don't get it...

But it's not done yet!

ElNono
07-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I didn't say I want him in my starting 5 for the NBA Finals. I was just pointing out that he has a legitimate NBA skill. Those who act like he's a worthless scrub who has no business playing basketball, much less in the NBA, do a disservice to both Bonner and the collective intelligence of people on this board.

Pretending that the guy is anything more than Timberwolves material, however, is also an affront to the collective intelligence of the people in this board.
He could be better than Jordan during the regular season. If it doesn't translate to the playoffs, then it's worthless.

And he's undeniably a one trick pony. A freaking rookie (3 inches shorter than him too) averaged twice as many rebounds than him in about the same time.
Sure, the 3 point shot is important, but it's imperative we get back to playing good, solid defense, especially in the interior if we want to have a shot at anything. Bonner simply can't help you there.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I wonder if the FO also takes into account the "oppinion" of the fan base...

They can't ignore that NOBODY want him back, I just don't get it...

But it's not done yet!

The only part of the fanbase that matters even a little bit to the FO is that small segment that buys tickets, especially season tickets.

There was actually an organized group of season ticket holders that wouldn't renew their tickets unless Manu was extended. There won't be any organized movement based on whether Bonner stays or goes.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 11:51 AM
The only part of the fanbase that matters even a little bit to the FO is that small segment that buys tickets, especially season tickets.

There was actually an organized group of season ticket holders that wouldn't renew their tickets unless Manu was extended. There won't be any organized movement based on whether RJ stays or goes.

You mean Bonner...

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
You mean Bonner...

Yeah, changed my post. Doubt many care one way or the other about RJ either.

Birn
07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Spurs need shooters.That's what Bonner does. A big that can shoot is a valued commodity around the league. It opens up the lane for Tim and it also opens lanes for TP, Manu, RJ, etc. to get in the paint and get to the rim. Is he an all star? Of course not. His playoff performance the past few years has been no different than most other players on the team. Bonner was not the reason the Spurs have lost in the playoffs the past few seasons. If we can sign him for about the same salary, it would be a good move. GM's and people around the league who know basketball would not be surprised to see Bonner resign with the Spurs. The only people who object are the fans who are ignorant on how to build a basketball team. He's just a role player with one NBA skill that teams covet - he can shoot. The Spurs are not going to be any closer to a championship by resigning Bonner alone. They need pieces to put the team together. He's just one piece.

TimDunkem
07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
The Spurs need DEFENSE. Bonner is a total liability on the court.

"Give the ball to whoever Bonner is guarding!"

rayray2k8
07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
The Spurs need DEFENSE. Bonner is a total liability on the court.

"Give the ball to whoever Bonner is guarding!"

I remember this, who said it?

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I remember this, who said it?

Sheed

underdawg
07-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Spurs need shooters.That's what Bonner does. A big that can shoot is a valued commodity around the league. It opens up the lane for Tim and it also opens lanes for TP, Manu, RJ, etc. to get in the paint and get to the rim. Is he an all star? Of course not. His playoff performance the past few years has been no different than most other players on the team. Bonner was not the reason the Spurs have lost in the playoffs the past few seasons. If we can sign him for about the same salary, it would be a good move. GM's and people around the league who know basketball would not be surprised to see Bonner resign with the Spurs. The only people who object are the fans who are ignorant on how to build a basketball team. He's just a role player with one NBA skill that teams covet - he can shoot. The Spurs are not going to be any closer to a championship by resigning Bonner alone. They need pieces to put the team together. He's just one piece.

A role player should never cost you a title because they are just "role" players - it wan't just his poor play that hurt us, it was what he couldn't ever provide in his many minutes of playing time that hurt too - length in the paint for defense and rebounds. A stretch 4 is only valuable to the Spurs if that player can play defense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
How many years of watching him choke in the playoffs does Pop need to realize the guy sucks?

Can't defend, can't rebound. Can't shoot in the playoffs.

End this madness :td

lurker23
07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Pretending that the guy is anything more than Timberwolves material, however, is also an affront to the collective intelligence of the people in this board.
He could be better than Jordan during the regular season. If it doesn't translate to the playoffs, then it's worthless.

And he's undeniably a one trick pony. A freaking rookie (3 inches shorter than him too) averaged twice as many rebounds than him in about the same time.
Sure, the 3 point shot is important, but it's imperative we get back to playing good, solid defense, especially in the interior if we want to have a shot at anything. Bonner simply can't help you there.

Comparing basically any player to Blair isn't really fair as far as rebounding rates go. While rebounding isn't Bonner's strength, I've shown stats in the past that he's basically an average rebounder for a role player big man.

I'm not necessarily arguing for Bonner for a spot on this Spurs team, nor do I necessarily feel like debating it. However, just so you know where I'm coming from, I'll quote my more complete thoughts on Bonner from another thread:

The key to appreciating players like Matt Bonner is to understand what they are, and understand what they are not. Either by overestimating what Bonner is, or simply out of necessity, the Spurs have often put Bonner in positions disproportionate to his skill level; this put him in a position to fail in the eyes of the fans.

Matt Bonner is a good shooter, but he should not be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd offensive option the court. Matt Bonner competes well on defense, but he is not a defensive force, nor should he be put against the opposing team's best big man. Matt Bonner is a hard worker, a hustle player, and an all-around good guy, but he should not be relied upon to be anything more than a role player.

After watching him for several years, I think this sums up my opinion of Matt Bonner as a player:

5. He can be the 5th best big man on a championship team.
4. He can be the 4th best big man on a great team.
3. He can be the 3rd best big man on a decent to good team.
2. He can be the 2nd best big man on a decent to bad team.
1. He can be the best big man on a very bad team.

If the Spurs want to bring him back and expect him to be #5 on that list (perhaps #4 when injuries occur), then I'm all for it. However, there are two potential problems with this: a.) Bonner's familiarity with the system may cause Pop to play him as one of the first two big men off the bench on a regular basis, which could hurt the team, and b.) With Bonner's skill set, it's very possible that he gets more money from another team to be #2, #3, or #4 on the above list. (For what it's worth, I believe #1 on the list would probably only happen in the NBA due to injuries.)

TimDunkem
07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Sure. I agree with the Bonner supporters that he could be valuable to a team....A shitty team that is. Any team that gives Bonner playing time might as well throw their championship aspirations out of the window.

Are the Spurs not tired with mediocrity? Let Bonner's choking ass walk.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I can't see how anyone would want him back. Everyone knows he'd get the Finley treatment and be playing no matter what, even with his anemic contributions to this team.

And he can't hit a shot in the playoffs until we're either up or down 3-0 in a series. F him.

vander
07-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I can see that. In a Finley-in-Boston kinda role. :tu

or the playing for a coach that inspires confidence role
or the playing for a team that runs an actual offense role
or the fact that almost half of the teams in the league will be better than the Spurs over the next few years...

:td

Dex
07-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I can't see how anyone would want him back. Everyone knows he'd get the Finley treatment and be playing no matter what, even with his anemic contributions to this team.

And he can't hit a shot in the playoffs until we're either up or down 3-0 in a series. F him.

http://sunshineanddesign.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/james-joyce-this-this-and-this1.jpg

Manufan909
07-01-2010, 12:33 PM

90 minutes might be about right, but there's no way Splitter plays half an hour unless he meets Spurstalks insane expectations. And I hope there's no way that Timmy plays half an hour either. Blair and Dyess will need to average 45-50 minutes, with Blair hopefully getting 25+ due to his improved jay/defense.

Why would he defend Dirk in games that count anymore, when we have this guy?

http://images.usatoday.com/Wires2Web/20070723/1737619595_Pistons_McDyessx.jpg

Birn
07-01-2010, 12:33 PM
A role player should never cost you a title because they are just "role" players - it wan't just his poor play that hurt us, it was what he couldn't ever provide in his many minutes of playing time that hurt too - length in the paint for defense and rebounds. A stretch 4 is only valuable to the Spurs if that player can play defense.

He didn't get that many minutes in the playoffs. He's just one piece. He's not being resigned to be the next David Robinson. Outside of Manu, everybody sucked in the playoffs. Remember Channing Frye hitting all those threes? He was supposed to be guarded by Tim and/or Mcdyess. Should we get rid of them, too? The bottomline is that nobody on the Spurs played any defense in the Suns series. The Suns were just a better team period. Frye is not a great defender.Why didn't Tim take advantage of that matchup? I'm just saying there's plenty of blame to go around. Not all of it is laid on one player. Bonner was terrible defensively as was everyone else against Phoenix. If you'll also recall, the Spurs beat the Lakers 2 out of 3 times during the season. They're not that far off from title contention. If we can bring in Splitter and add another wing that can defend and shoot (Matt Barnes), we're in good shape.

Pauleta14
07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
at best, all his offensive production does is "compensating" his defensive mistakes...

All in all, he is useless

The only argument in his favor is his +/- record that stays a mystery to me...

+ I understand Pop loves having a big that can shoot the 3, but the pb is that Timmy is left alone under the basket and is not as efficient as if he is playing along a "real" big...

ElNono
07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
or the fact that almost half of the teams in the league will be better than the Spurs over the next few years...

Hey, he got the minutes, and the wide open shots, that he proceeded to pass on... we all saw it. it happened. Don't blame Pop for Matt's lack of mental fortitude.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Comparing basically any player to Blair isn't really fair as far as rebounding rates go. While rebounding isn't Bonner's strength, I've shown stats in the past that he's basically an average rebounder for a role player big man.

I'm not necessarily arguing for Bonner for a spot on this Spurs team, nor do I necessarily feel like debating it. However, just so you know where I'm coming from, I'll quote my more complete thoughts on Bonner from another thread:

He's incredibly average when he shots 40% from downtown. When he dips into the low 30's, he becomes below average. Furthermore, he obviously has a mental block when it comes to pressure situations, considering he was even passing shots last playoffs.

I appreciate your take, and even agree up to an extent if we were to consider his shooting at a static 40%. That said, Bonner would be big #3 in this team, and I rather have an athletic big in that spot that actually plays in the interior and could help Tim/Dice do the grunt work. To shoot 30% or so from downtown, Manu or even Hill in the corner can take those shots.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
He's incredibly average when he shots 40% from downtown. When he dips into the low 30's, he becomes below average. Furthermore, he obviously has a mental block when it comes to pressure situations, considering he was even passing shots last playoffs.

I appreciate your take, and even agree up to an extent if we were to consider his shooting at a static 40%. That said, Bonner would be big #3 in this team, and I rather have an athletic big in that spot that actually plays in the interior and could help Tim/Dice do the grunt work. To shoot 30% or so from downtown, Manu or even Hill in the corner can take those shots.

Well, one thing we can certainly agree on: As I implied before, if Bonner is going to be big #3 on this team, whether by skill level or by Pop's choosing, then please let him take more money elsewhere.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Well, one thing we can certainly agree on: As I implied before, if Bonner is going to be big #3 on this team, whether by skill level or by Pop's choosing, then please let him take more money elsewhere.

Agree. :toast

vander
07-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey, he got the minutes, and the wide open shots, that he proceeded to pass on... we all saw it. it happened. Don't blame Pop for Matt's lack of mental fortitude.

well first of all, he played pretty damn good most of the time, the on/off-court stat confirms that quite clearly; and second of all, when he plays better elsewhere, how will you explain that?

Pop is not a good coach for most players, he doesn't get the most out of players, he just lucked out that he was a perfect fit with TD.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 12:51 PM
well first of all, he played pretty damn good most of the time, the on/off-court stat confirms that quite clearly; and second of all, when he plays better elsewhere, how will you explain that?

I'll say, nice going Matty. I don't care what he does for another team.

J_Paco
07-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Outside of Manu, everybody sucked in the playoffs. If we can bring in Splitter and add another wing that can defend and shoot (Matt Barnes), we're in good shape.

Please, everyone played poorly during the playoffs for stretches including Manu. But, Bonner was especially poor because he got minutes ahead of Blair and even played more than McDyess at times. The guy played like shit until the Spurs season was virtually over down 0-3 and there was no longer any pressure to perform. I'll be highly upset if Bonner returns for another wasted stint in San Antonio.

His level of production can be easily replaced with a player that brings more skills to the table, IMO.

Oh, and Matt Barnes is bad three-point shooter. He'd help defensively but in limited minutes like his past role in Orlando and Golden State.

Of course he had a good +/- since he usually played in a line-up involving Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson-himself-Duncan or Hill-Ginobili-Jefferson-himself-Blair. Those two line-ups incorporate at least 3 of our top 5 players at all times.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 12:55 PM

I disagree. He sucked when it mattered the most. Good luck to him wherever he goes...

Pop is not a good coach for most players, he doesn't get the most out of players, he just lucked out that he was a perfect fit with TD.

Yet he's widely recognized as one of the top coaches in the league. But I should take your word for it since all you amounted to is to post in a message forum...

Gotcha. :rolleyes

howbouthemspurs
07-01-2010, 12:58 PM
i hope bonner comes back.. he was always funny to watch

J_Paco
07-01-2010, 01:04 PM
i hope bonner comes back.. he was always funny to watch

Why would you watch basketball looking for humor? I'd prefer a reliable player over Matt Bonner.

vander
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I disagree. He sucked when it mattered the most. Good luck to him wherever he goes...

so who didn't suck against the Suns? time to cut the Big 3 :downspin:

Yet he's widely recognized as one of the top coaches in the league. But I should take your word for it since all you amounted to is to post in a message forum...

Gotcha. :rolleyes

is that supposed to mean something? what are people supposed to say when a guy has rings? they aren't going to stir the pot, it's just like people saying that TD is still one of the best players in the league, open your eyes, don't be a drone, a parrot

Chomag
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
He didn't get that many minutes in the playoffs. He's just one piece. He's not being resigned to be the next David Robinson. Outside of Manu, everybody sucked in the playoffs. Remember Channing Frye hitting all those threes? He was supposed to be guarded by Tim and/or Mcdyess. Should we get rid of them, too? The bottomline is that nobody on the Spurs played any defense in the Suns series. The Suns were just a better team period. Frye is not a great defender.Why didn't Tim take advantage of that matchup? I'm just saying there's plenty of blame to go around. Not all of it is laid on one player. Bonner was terrible defensively as was everyone else against Phoenix. If you'll also recall, the Spurs beat the Lakers 2 out of 3 times during the season. They're not that far off from title contention. If we can bring in Splitter and add another wing that can defend and shoot (Matt Barnes), we're in good shape.

IF spurs were a regular lottery team Bonner might be fine. However Spurs are a team that is always playing for a championship and they need roll players that can step it up in the playoffs. Bonner has been given his chances but all he has proven is he is not this kind of player that fits that roll. So calling Bonner a role player is kind of a moot point when come time when it matters he can't contribute to his roll.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 01:09 PM
is that supposed to mean something? what are people supposed to say when a guy has rings? they aren't going to stir the pot, it's just like people saying that TD is still one of the best players in the league, open your eyes, don't be a drone

Are you serious? So virtually every person with the requisite expertise to render an opinion on the subject comes to be virtually the same conclusion, yet attaching credibility to such a vast consensus makes one a drone?

I suppose you're a rebel just because?

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Let me make something clear, I don't want Bonner back. Period.

But let's also make something clear, if your argument against bringing him back is that there's no way he'd play behind Duncan, Splitter, Blair and 'Dyess, then the Spurs have bigger problems than who their fifth Big is.

You better be hoping for a Pop opt-out . . .

spursfan1000
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't even want there to be a chance that Spurs play him more than he deserves SO LET HIM LEAVE.

Agloco
07-01-2010, 01:15 PM

:td

GMAFB

It's not Pops responsibility to inspire confidence per se. How much emotional head does this flake need anyway?

TimDunkem
07-01-2010, 01:15 PM
IF spurs were a regular lottery team Bonner might be fine. However Spurs are a team that is always playing for a championship and they need roll players that can step it up in the playoffs. Bonner has been given his chances but all he has proven is he is not this kind of player that fits that roll. So calling Bonner a role player is kind of a moot point when come time when it matters he can't contribute to his roll.
The guy has no argument. In fact, at some points he sounds like he's making an argument against Bonner.

"The Spurs need shooters, and defense, so let's sign Bonner so he can brick open shots and play no D!"

Yeah, that makes so much sense. Sure, you can use the "but Bonner will be there for depth purposes" cop-out, but we all know Pop will play the choker.

rayray2k8
07-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Yo Bender, if Bonner goes to another team will you follow him? Hope so. :toast

vander
07-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Are you serious? So virtually every person with the requisite expertise to render an opinion on the subject comes to be virtually the same conclusion, yet attaching credibility to such a vast consensus makes one a drone?

I suppose you're a rebel just because?

that's hardly the reality, most of the people you believe to be "experts" are probably far from it, how many of them have ever coached a pro team successfully? who are these experts? talking heads on TV networks? :lol you think they'd even be allowed to express an opinion like that? :lol, other coaches? you think you'd ever get a truthful answer to a question like that? Players? :lol Amare Stoudamire is probably about the IQ norm in the NBA :lol

no, 4 rings means that anyone who cares even the slightest about his own public image isn't going to say anything but the highest praises about Pop

Duncan2177
07-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Boner sucks.

vander
07-01-2010, 01:23 PM
GMAFB

It's not Pops responsibility to inspire confidence per se. How much emotional head does this flake need anyway?

but still, if other coaches are able to do it, then they are better coaches.

the responsibility is winning, and whatever that might require

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 01:27 PM
that's hardly the reality, most of the people you believe to be "experts" are probably far from it, how many of them have ever coached a pro team successfully? talking heads on TV networks? :lol you think they'd even be allowed to express an opinion like that? :lol, other coaches? you think you'd ever get a truthful answer to a question like that? :lol

no, 4 rings means that anyone who cares even the slightest about his own public image isn't going to say anything but the highest praises about Pop

Flawless logic as usual. Why don't you tell us again how keeping Manu hurts the team's chance in 2010-11?

:rolleyes

vander
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Flawless logic as usual. Why don't you tell us again how keeping Manu hurts the team's chance in 2010-11?

never said that.

but you seem pretty fixated on it, does the NBA close up shop after 2011?

and way to refute the current argument again, you're really good at that, rarely do you run away or try to change the topic :lol :toast

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 01:32 PM
never said that.

but you seem pretty fixated on it, does the NBA close up shop after 2011?

and way to refute the current argument again, you're really good at that, rarely do you run away or try to change the topic :lol :toast

vander
07-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 01:36 PM

See, your problem is that you think you made an argument worth refuting.

When you do, I'll refute it.

Until then.....

vander
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
See, your problem is that you think you made an argument worth refuting.

When you do, I'll refute it.

Until then.....

Flawless logic as usual. :rolleyes

and here we have yet another universally applicable canned retort from the witty expert Mel_13 :lol

but you do keep replying to say I'm wrong, just with no reasons ever given.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 01:46 PM
so who didn't suck against the Suns? time to cut the Big 3 :downspin:

Except we're not cutting Bonner... his contract expired. So long!

is that supposed to mean something?

If you haven't figured out... who is the drone, parrot?

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Flawless logic as usual. :rolleyes

and here we have yet another universally applicable canned retort from the witty expert Mel_13 :lol

but you do keep replying to say I'm wrong, just with no reasons ever given.

The posts are there for all to read.

Your argument can be distilled down to "All recognized experts can be ignored because they're intimidated by Pop's rings".

While you may think that represents a valid argument, you'll find that you're quite alone in that view.

Come up with something worth a response and I'll be happy to comment.

Brazil
07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Mel_13 >>>>>>>>>>> vander

quentin_compson
07-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Bonner's fine if you're not depending on him. If he's willing to come back as the fifth Big, I'm not going to be up in arms. What other athletic Big or shooting Big is out there that you'd really want over Bonner as your fifth in the rotation?

Pretty much. Bonner's alright in the RS and he knows the system. If Splitter comes over, Matt won't play in the playoffs anyway. Any more than the vet min would be a joke, though. There might be teams willing to pay him at least a bit more than that, I guess (he always seemed like a player who'd fit into Nellie's Warriors to me).

hater
07-01-2010, 01:54 PM
If he comes back in any way shape or form... then FUCK THE SPURS and they deserve to be losers.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000

People say "it's ok, as long as he is deep in the bench at the vet min"

FUCK THAT. He is still taking up a space that someone else could use and help Spurs. Bonner will never show up for Spurs in the playoffs. NEVER. Get his ass out!!!!

Chucho
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Matt Bonner is a paradigm of over hype for one certain "skill". He doesn't offer much, if anything, beyond that one skill. He's a flat footed defender that practices standing perpendicular to his man and holding his arms high as defense. He's slow, can't rebound and if isn't wide open, can't hit his 3 balls. And for some strange reason Coach Pop has an infatuation with this guy. He being on the roster will surely deprive the player with severe upside, heart, hustle, talent and tenacity, DeJuan Blair, with fewer mintues and take away the rebounding, inside scoring, hustle and defense Bonner has never been able to provide. To me, it makes little sense to sacrifice everything the undersized PF with heart and talent brings to the table in favor of 3 point shooting and "spacing". Not to mention the kid is working incredibly hard this off season, what is Bonner doing? Traveling the Hill Country in search of the best gas prices and cheapest sandwiches?

Matt Bonner just doesn't bring anything beyond his one "skill" that is only useful when it doesn't matter and his presence on the bench is likely to stunt the growth of a guy who truly has the talent, desire and heart to become a truly great player in this league. And I don't understand the "spacing" issue. How did the Spurs do before Bonner and Horry? Tim played besides guys like Rasho, The Admiral in decline, Nazr Mohammed and Kevin Willis and took home two titles. I don't see why there is dependence upon a "stretch" big man if you can successfully stock the bench with 3 point shooters. Hopefully Manu, Tony, Anderson and an improved RJ can take up the slack, maybe spend the LLE on a 3 point specialist. I just truly believe Bonner doesn't deserve to be on the roster nor is he needed on the roster.

rayray2k8
07-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Now Vander knows how angel_luv and ploto felt when people wanted Rasho out. :lol

vander
07-01-2010, 02:03 PM
The posts are there for all to read.

Your argument can be distilled down to "All recognized experts can be ignored because they're intimidated by Pop's rings".

While you may think that represents a valid argument, you'll find that you're quite alone in that view.

Come up with something worth a response and I'll be happy to comment.

and yet here you are commenting away, then saying you don't feel the need to comment. :lol

and yes, you seem to like to distill down arguments and put them in your own words in order to not refute them.

hey, If you only want to think only what you think everyone else thinks, I don't have a problem with that, it was not me who attacked you for your opinion on Pop. you attacked me, and then ran away, claiming nothing I said is worth a response from you :lmao

raise the bar :toast

vander
07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Now Vander knows how angel_luv and ploto felt when people wanted Rasho out. :lol

you got me all wrong, I just enjoy the arguing with idiots, I don't even want Bonner back, we have too many big men, and add to that the fact that Pop likes to play 3's at the 4... :bang

rayray2k8
07-01-2010, 02:08 PM
you got me all wrong, I just enjoy the arguing with idiots, I don't even want Bonner back, we have too many big men, and add to that the fact that Pop likes to play 3's at the 4... :bang

What the fuck?? then what are ya'll arguing about then??
And when did you jump off the Bonner bandwagon?

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 02:09 PM
it was not me who attacked you for you're opinion on Pop. you attacked me,

Again, read the posts and see who attacked the person and who attacked the position.

vander
07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
What the fuck?? then what are ya'll arguing about then??
And when did you jump off the Bonner bandwagon?

there was never a bandwagon, I was just one of the few who recognized the real value of Bonner, while everyone else just irrationally despised him and blamed all the Spurs' problems on him.

I think he'll do well wherever he goes.

vander
07-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Again, read the posts and see who attacked the person and who attacked the position.

yes, your generic high school retorts like "flawless logic" and "not worth arguing" are very positional, while my posts questing the validity and weight of "expert opinions" was an uncalled personal attack :lol

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 02:20 PM
yes, your generic high school retorts like "flawless logic" and "not worth arguing" are very positional, while my posts questing the validity and weight of "expert opinions" was an uncalled personal attack :lol

Read the posts.

vander
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Read the posts.

you know you're right, I should probably read the posts, problem is my monitor's broken so I'm just posting blind today. but once I get it back, I'll read all the posts, and re-read them, and re-read them again, as many times as it takes until I magically see it your way, so that you won't ever have to present a valid argument or original thought

:toast

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 02:29 PM
you know you're right

:tu

07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
bonner sucks. that is all.

vander
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
:tu

:lol I expected you to do EXACTLY that :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
:lol I expected you to do EXACTLY that :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Happy to oblige.

poop
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
i cant believe its mid 2010 and im still reading Spurs fans proclaiming their support for Bonner and what he brings.

vander
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
i cant believe its mid 2010 and im still reading Spurs fans proclaiming their support for Bonner and what he brings.

do you know what he brings?

were you aware that he brings an 8 point scoring margin in the Spurs favor for every 48 minutes of gametime he participates in? were you aware that no other Spur tops him in this category over the last 2 years?

Are you aware that the Spurs suck, not because of Bonner,
but because TP is no longer quick by NBA standards, and that was really all he had;
because TD is a shell of his former self;
because Manu is unreliable, injury-prone, and is rarely able to get to the rim anymore;
because Pop has almost no offensive game plan other than running it through one of the aforementioned 3 and hoping they can create something?

but no, come to ST and you'd think that Bonner and RJ have completely sabotaged this team, that if they weren't here, and if Bowen still was, we'd be celebrating our 6th championship :lol:lol:lol:lol

Stars win championships, and we don't have any anymore

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
The Spurs have called free-agent forward-center Matt Bonner to re-iterate their desire to bring him back.

"The Spurs called last night," Bonner's agent, Kenny Grant said this afternoon. "I think they're interested. Hopefully, it works out."

Bonner, whose unique skill set as a 3-point shooting big, has also taken calls from Dallas, Denver and Chicago in the early stages of free agency.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/07/the-matt-bonner.html

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 03:26 PM
The Spurs have called free-agent forward-center Matt Bonner to re-iterate their desire to bring him back.

"The Spurs called last night," Bonner's agent, Kenny Grant said this afternoon. "I think they're interested. Hopefully, it works out."

Bonner, whose unique skill set as a 3-point shooting big, has also taken calls from Dallas, Denver and Chicago in the early stages of free agency.

Here we go............

Bruno
07-01-2010, 03:28 PM
:hang

Brazil
07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
:hang

objective
07-01-2010, 03:33 PM
:vomit:

Creation88
07-01-2010, 03:34 PM

i'm out to go run over a puppy.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 03:35 PM
What are they thinking?

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 03:36 PM
You probably couldn't fit everyone who wants to bring Bonner back into a phone booth or a Volkswagen, but I'm pretty sure they would all fit in here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/electric-off-road/311458d1202780167-tips-tricks-upgrades-tamiya-501x-worlds-edition-short-bus.jpg

Juanobili
07-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Hm.. I must have been in the bathroom or something each time Matt contributed this post season

Creation88
07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
at least ST is on the same page on this guy...

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I cant believe the spurs are considering bringing back bonner and rj long term. Disgusting if true.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Wow... kill me now... http://chat.kithara.gr/images/smilies/kill.gif

Creation88
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I cant believe the spurs are considering bringing back bonner and rj long term. Disgusting if true.

right there with you. this is by far the worst scenario I could have thought of. we are not opening opportunities for young talent and we just aging year by year. there comes a time when you gotta give it up and start a legitimate rebuilding process. you can't hold on to an old team AND rebuild. no team in history has been able to do that successfully.

objective
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Another bad thing about Bonner is that now he's crossed the 30 year old threshold, so Pop will fall even more in love with him as aging slowly robs him of his limited skills.

:lol when the Spurs re-sign Bonner while cheaping out on Splitter, oh the huge manatee

Creation88
07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
the only thing i wanted to remember Bonner by was the fact that he's in every Dirk highlight now. that would've kept the laughs coming for years.

mingus
07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
he won't be getting any playing time assumming Splitter signs.

TimmehC
07-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Bonner, whose unique skill set as a 3-point shooting big, has also taken calls from Dallas, Denver and Chicago

Sing and Trade: Bonner/RJ for Carmelo.

benefactor
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/gospelrapper/facepalmfyd.png

EricB
07-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Theres uh three other teams that have shown interest....

I think the overreaction is a little much........

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM

And so the epitaph on the Tim Duncan era was written.

ducks
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
not hardly

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM

He f'in sucks Tpark. Down on your knees for the front office, and it's only 4 PM on day one of free agency.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
he won't be getting any playing time assumming Splitter signs.

Yeah, all the people excited about Finley coming back last year were saying the same thing before the season started.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Sing and Trade: Bonner/RJ for Carmelo.

I don't know that anyone in the Spurs organization can sing nearly that well.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM

The reaction is to the apparent fact that the Spurs have interest in bringing him back.

Borosai
07-01-2010, 04:13 PM
I like Bonner, but I'm tired of the Spurs' endless pursuit of another Horry: it's not happening. I'd rather see the team focus on letting the bigs play inside and get good 3-point shooting from the 1-3. That's how the Lakers and Celtics have won lately. Horry is gone.

SCdac
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
The amount of value the Spurs front office has in this guy is absurd. He went from a fan favorite on a shitty squad in Canada that won 27 games, to basically an anti-favorite here in San Antonio where stepping up in the playoffs is pretty much a requirement. Bonner makes Channing fucking Frye look like one of the best 3-point shooting big men of all time, and even he isn't all that, got exposed by the Lakers. We don't have time to groom Bonner into becoming a real effective player in the NBA (if that's even possible) - whereas Horry came to our team as a proven commodity. Huge differences between these two players, Spurs should look to move on. Let Dallas or Chicago realize what they don't have in Bonner, because we're like way past that point.

dbestpro
07-01-2010, 05:31 PM
The idea of Bonner coming back just made me put my season ticket purchase on hold.

silverblk mystix
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
please, someone....anyone give bonner a better offer than the spurs...

timvp
07-01-2010, 06:24 PM

http://petru.paler.net/img/do_not_want.jpg

dbestpro
07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
LeBron to the Nets, Bonner to Chicago. Do it! Make it happen basketball gods!

4>0rings
07-01-2010, 06:27 PM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/facepalm_statue.jpg

4>0rings
07-01-2010, 06:28 PM
You probably couldn't fit everyone who wants to bring Bonner back into a phone booth or a Volkswagen, but I'm pretty sure they would all fit in here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/electric-off-road/311458d1202780167-tips-tricks-upgrades-tamiya-501x-worlds-edition-short-bus.jpg
Tpark would be MORE than enough to fit in a telephone booth or a volkswagn.

BadMotorscooter
07-01-2010, 06:28 PM
So we're gonna lose a huge trade asset in Jefferson and re-sign Bonner? Fantastic. What an off season.

anakha
07-01-2010, 06:32 PM

http://templaraz.com/bbpress/bb-plugins/bb-smilies/default/icon_gonk.gifhttp://templaraz.com/bbpress/bb-plugins/bb-smilies/default/icon_gonk.gifhttp://templaraz.com/bbpress/bb-plugins/bb-smilies/default/icon_gonk.gifhttp://templaraz.com/bbpress/bb-plugins/bb-smilies/default/icon_gonk.gifhttp://templaraz.com/bbpress/bb-plugins/bb-smilies/default/icon_gonk.gif

Dex
07-01-2010, 06:35 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/5xkd95.gif

rmt
07-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Bonner chokes in the playoffs so he's useless. Blair should have gotten Bonner's time last year to develop. I'd like the Spurs to get a veteran with length like Ratliff or Willis or even Massenberg (toughness).

Splitter - 35 - 37 mins. - only 25 yrs. old
Blair - 28 - 30 mins. - needs time to develop and get experience
Duncan - 25 mins - no back to back - save him for the playoffs
Dice - 10 mins - no back to back - save him (even more) for the playoffs
vet min - whatever's left over - no need to save for playoffs

dbestpro
07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Maybe the idea is if Bonner can be brought back on the cheap that Dice's contract then becomes tradeable.

Trying to find a glimpse of light in the darkness.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 06:58 PM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/4/18/633756823609244600-Facepalm.jpg

4>0rings
07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
^^^ They did all that custom work on it and they use mirror strap on extenders :lmao

Although I do think it's pimp

silverblk mystix
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe the idea is if Bonner can be brought back on the cheap that Dice's contract then becomes tradeable.

so keeping bonner and getting rid of dice is a LIGHT in the darkness...

my how the spurs have fallen...

if you think back to players like Bowen, Horry and even S jAX---THEY ALL had a little nastiness---some accused them of being dirty...

and then....LATELY...

you have finley, bonner and RJ----and you know right away WHY there are no more championships....

fuck bonner...

TD 21
07-01-2010, 08:36 PM

If only it were as simple as you make it sound, I'd agree with you. But I'm not that naive.

Pop is going to be playing mad scientist with the big rotation, similar to how he did with the entire rotation particularly in the first 50 or so games of last season, there's going to be a lack of clarity, McDyess will probably be resting/sitting out too much, Bonner will inevitably be playing too much because the Spurs are obsessed with having a stretch four (I knew they couldn't help themselves with this guy; the instant Jefferson opted out, one of my first thoughts was "Bonner is probably coming back").

Then in the playoffs, when rotations are shortened, who get's left out? Probably Blair at the expense of Bonner. Splitter probably won't be playing as much as he should. Re-signing Bonner would create a multitude of issues.

silverblk mystix
07-01-2010, 08:38 PM
If only it were as simple as you make it sound, I'd agree with you. But I'm not that naive.

Pop is going to be playing mad scientist with the big rotation, similar to how he did with the entire rotation particularly in the first 50 or so games of last season, there's going to be a lack of clarity, McDyess will probably be resting/sitting out too much, Bonner will inevitably be playing too much because the Spurs are obsessed with having a stretch four (I knew they couldn't help themselves with this guy; the instant Jefferson opted out, one of my first thoughts was "Bonner is probably coming back").

Then in the playoffs, when rotations are shortened, who get's left out? Probably Blair at the expense of Bonner. Splitter probably won't be playing as much as he should. Re-signing Bonner would create a multitude of issues.

this.

slick'81
07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
please go to dallas bonner go fuck someone else over come playoff time

rmt
07-01-2010, 08:48 PM

I hope not. I'd prefer Dice at MLE than Bonner at vet. min (or even for free). Dice did a great job on Dirk and played with more heart/passion than Bonner can ever dream about. Wish Dice could sit on the bench and start playing in January.

Agloco
07-01-2010, 08:49 PM

lol Bonner

EIC
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Fuck Bonner. Dude is a fucking joke of a player, especially in the playoffs. Let him go to Dallas and perfect his choke-artistry on their roster. I have never seen a player with more talent at fucking his team over while he's on the floor than Bonner. I would rather they play with one less man on the roster than have him in the rotation.

Before signing Bonner, R.C. ought to watch a tape of the Suns series. He should pause the tape when Bonner checks in and note the score. He should then pause the tape when Bonner checks out and note the difference in the score. I swear to God, in every fucking case there is at least 9 point swing in the Suns' favor while he's on the floor. Bonner checking in is like a power play for the other team.

I'm not sure I can stomach another season of it, honestly.

NRHector
07-01-2010, 09:16 PM
hey Bonner I heard that there's some great Hoagies in Canada, are you interested in going over there? :bang

objective
07-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Does Toronto still have their exceptions? Hopefully they can still make a play for the return of the Red Rocket.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Does Toronto still have their exceptions? Hopefully they can still make a play for the return of the Red Rocket.

They should. They signed Johnson to a contract that is the same size as the full MLE, but they had full Bird Rights on him. They should be able to overpay Matty as well.

objective
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
awesome.

Colangelo, work your magic! You need Bonner to spread the floor for Amir Johnson!

Capt Bringdown
07-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Even if Bonner does his usual regular season thing, or perhaps even UPS his game even slightly, that just makes things even worse for us come playoff time. To say you can't count on him in the PO is the understatement of the century.
We'd be better off rolling the dice on a development league washout IMO.

Xevious
07-02-2010, 08:56 AM
If Splitter is coming over, we'll have four bigs deserving of minutes. There will be no need for Bonner except for situational lineups and/or injury. And unfortunately Bonner is not a guy you can bring in cold to knock down 3s. He needs minutes to keep his rhythm.

Let him walk... please.

objective
07-07-2010, 03:42 AM
Matt Bonner on Canadian radio 7-6-10 (http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20100706_172051_8260)

Says he'd be happy to return to either the Spurs or Toronto. Says if ends up with Toronto it'd be great because he loves it there. Wants to get a contract done so he can play for the Canadian National Team coming up soon, and wants whichever team he signs with to support his National Team play.

Is also asked a question where the host brings up inflated contracts, and Bonner answers plainly about luck and situation etc as well as what his own numbers are in comparison. I'm almost concerned that the Spurs could sign him the first-pitch contract that was offered to Channing Frye, 5/25. Almost.

fwiw, the RealGM raptors board seems to range from fans wanting him for the minimum and fans not wanting him at all. There does however seem to be an undercurrent of a belief that Bonner was crucial to the Spurs success.

Ice009
07-07-2010, 06:19 AM
FUCK that! Are you saying the Spurs could be offering him the same amount of money Channing Frye got? I don't care what other players like Frye got paid. Matt Bonner is not even worth half that after two no shows in the playoffs.

ploto
07-07-2010, 06:33 AM
There does however seem to be an undercurrent of a belief that Bonner was crucial to the Spurs success.

I would call it more a belief that the Spurs must know what they are doing and they played Bonner.

wut
07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
look people, Bonner provides something other big men don't...it's called spacing. When you have a dominant big men on the other team and you need to keep him out of the paint, you put in Bonner and let Parker and Manu drive. Obviously the key to this tactic is the kick out when said dominant big man rolls to the rim....and more to the point....Bonner hitting his outside shot.

Now I know Bonner struggled with his shot last season, but he was shooting alright before he broke his hand.

Having a guy like Bonner ON THE BENCH is not a bad thing, he adds depth to the team.

Also, name another big man for the same price that adds that kind of depth.

Seventyniner
07-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Also, name another big man for the same price that adds that kind of depth.

This. As a 10th man for the minimum (or even slightly above), I'd say do it.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 09:17 AM
lol 10th man...

Chomag
07-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Do any of you Bonner defenders even watch the Spurs games?

Das Texan
07-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I'd like to have Bonner back as the 5th bigman behind Duncan, Splitter, Blair and McDyess.

You could do a hell of a lot worse.

silverblk mystix
07-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I'd like to have Bonner back as the 5th bigman behind Duncan, Splitter, Blair and McDyess.

NO, frankly-you couldn't.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-07-2010, 09:37 AM

1. No you couldn't

2. You really think Pop would treat him as the fifth big? Pop's got Finley eyes for Bonner. As long as he's on this roster, he will be getting way too much playing time.

rmt
07-07-2010, 09:45 AM
1. No you couldn't

2. You really think Pop would treat him as the fifth big? Pop's got Finley eyes for Bonner. As long as he's on this roster, he will be getting way too much playing time.

Ditto. Pop can't help himself - better to not have Bonner on the bench. Blair can use all that time to develop. I don't want anyone with no heart on this team.