PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Spurs Free Agency: A Short Appraisal of Available Wings

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 02:26 AM
Spurs Free Agency: A Short Appraisal of Available Wings
by Timothy Varner

Now that the Richard Jefferson has opted out of his contract, it’s fair to say the Spurs will target a wing in free agency. Although Jefferson’s deal brings the Spurs close to the cap line, they’re still limited to exception money and veteran minimums. In addition to this, they hold Bird Rights on Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/06/30/spurs-free-agency-a-short-appraisal-of-available-wings/#more-8766)

EricB
07-01-2010, 02:28 AM
:lol

I like how he pretty much rules out darn near every FA.

L.I.T
07-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Ronnie Brewer sans the shooting ability is an intriguing option.

I like James Jones as a stop-gap, if he'll be available for the LLE.

Mr Bones
07-01-2010, 03:24 AM
I just don't buy the idea that a wing on the Spurs absolutely has to be a 3 point shooter in order to contribute. The Spurs as a team were 11th in the NBA in 3 pt% last year. The Celtics were 17th, and the Lakers were 24th! Phoenix was #1. Three point shooting can help, of course, but so do offensive and defensive rebounding, man to man defense, pick and roll defense, blocked shots, steals, etc... I still think long defenders like Dominic McGuire or a super athlete like Rodney Carney warrant a look. If Jefferson doesn't return on a refashioned contract, the answer might just have to be SF by committee, and 20 mpg of good D without 3 pt shooting could work very well. I'm generally not a fan of smallball, but if Duncan and Splitter click defensively, a three guard line up with Manu at SF for brief periods could also help.

intlspurshk
07-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Dorell Wright is a can't miss FA signing, even at the expenses of S&T

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Dorell Wright is a can't miss FA signing, even at the expenses of S&T

Him and George could be best friends.. :lol

Chieflion
07-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Him and George could be best friends.. :lol

Maybe we should bring Greg Oden in as well to complete "The Naked Three!"

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Maybe we should bring Greg Oden in as well to complete "The Naked Three!"

:lmao

elbamba
07-01-2010, 08:08 AM
If we could get Brewer for that low cost I would bring him in today. Not going to happen. He is too young and too talented.

mystargtr34
07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Im a little intrigued by Dorell Wright all of a sudden. Would be nice to see his pre-draft measurements but cant seem to find them on draftexpress... either way its obvious he has the body of a prototypical long wing...I think hes moved up to number 1 on my list of realistic targets for the LLE.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I just don't buy the idea that a wing on the Spurs absolutely has to be a 3 point shooter in order to contribute. The Spurs as a team were 11th in the NBA in 3 pt% last year. The Celtics were 17th, and the Lakers were 24th! Phoenix was #1. Three point shooting can help, of course, but so do offensive and defensive rebounding, man to man defense, pick and roll defense, blocked shots, steals, etc... I still think long defenders like Dominic McGuire or a super athlete like Rodney Carney warrant a look. If Jefferson doesn't return on a refashioned contract, the answer might just have to be SF by committee, and 20 mpg of good D without 3 pt shooting could work very well. I'm generally not a fan of smallball, but if Duncan and Splitter click defensively, a three guard line up with Manu at SF for brief periods could also help.

One of their main flaws was lack of shooting ability. The Lakers and Celtics weren't up there, but they had people capable of shooting, and they had big men capable of shooting in order to spread the floor. Yes, we also need defense, but it's no guarantee that they can fix it. I mean, they had all of last season and didn't capitalize on it. It's not for sure that Splitter can bring that for them, so the safest bet is to not ignore the lack of offense in hopes of them just being able to switch it on next year, and bring in someone who's proven to be capable of scoring who's not terrible at defense, such as Wright, Jones, Butler, (who I believe should be the Spurs's top 3 targets) etc.

SpurCharger
07-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Dorell Wright..... Hell Take A Chance With TMac for the Vet min.... I think He May Be Done... But He may Still Have some Magic left in His Body...

iManu
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Dorell Wright..... Hell Take A Chance With TMac for the Vet min.... I think He May Be Done... But He may Still Have some Magic left in His Body...

I agree, unfortunately, now.

ajh18
07-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I dont think that I actually see T-Mac signing for the LLE, but if he did I think he'd surprise everyone and be a phenomenal fit for us. He'd have to want to win, and he'd have to be willing to take a lot fewer shots... but I actually think he could be a better fourth option on offense (in our system at least) than RJ ever was. No one knows better than the Spurs how dangerous he is when he catches fire, and he's still very long and relatively athletic (despite being nowhere near what he once was).

I think the Spurs should make a serious push for T-Mac for the LLE. Let him play 6th/7th man, and if we re-sign RJ, consider pairing RJ with Manu off the bench and starting McGrady at the SF for about 20 min. a night. Again, I don't theink he'd accept that little money, but who knows... maybe getting past being seen as a loser in the playoffs would be enough motivation.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I would be okay with T-Mac coming if he can accept the LLE. It's not like we have anything else to give him. At best, we have ourselves a great backup, maybe even starter. At worst, he rots on the bench and collects his $2M.

galvatron3000
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM

If he can just still shoot the ball and and hang out on the wing instead of creating, yeah I'd consider it but I don't know the extent of his capabilities now. He wouldn't have to be an all star player just an all star shooter

HarlemHeat37
07-01-2010, 10:30 AM
As somebody that watches most Knicks games(a decent amount of them in person), I'll tell you that McGrady was HORRIBLE last year..he has NO athleticism or explosiveness left, he can't shoot, and he's arguably the worst perimeter defender in the NBA at this point..he literally has no lateral quickness left, he looked like he was going to break every time he moved..

The only good thing about McGrady is that he's a good passer, other than that, he doesn't fit on a title team unless he makes huge strides in his off-season workouts..

Agloco
07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Ronnie Brewer sans the shooting ability is an intriguing option.

I like James Jones as a stop-gap, if he'll be available for the LLE.

If we could get Brewer for that low cost I would bring him in today. Not going to happen. He is too young and too talented.

:tu

I've been high on Brewer for a while. According to the FA thread, looks like Memphis won't extend a QO to him, which is shocking actually since they gave up a first rounder for him. We might just get lucky and land him with the LLE. One can dream right?