View Full Version : Anderson: Travis Ford interview on the Ticket760

Solid D
07-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Nice interview by Andy and Walter with Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford. Coach Ford provided some great insights into James Anderson as a player and person. Came in as a McDonald's All-American who could catch and shoot, excellent athlete. Really developed his game, can get to the basket, pull up and shoot off the break. He is very intelligent and understands the game of basketball.

He said Byron Eton was great at getting to the basket and drawing fouls and when he left, coach Ford challenged and worked with James to improve in that area. They spent a great deal of time studying players and their adeptness at drawing fouls. James worked on it and led the nation up until the end of the season, where he finished 2nd in the NCAA with 8 FTA/game.

James "was our leader on defense". Good positional defender, really understands defenses and rotations. When they needed to stop someone, he would work to figure out how to get the job done. He's long, athletic and a good rebounder. At 6'6", he has the wing-span of a 6'10" player. He understands rebound angles and watching the flight of the ball and rebounds well.

When James declared for the draft, he started his pre-draft workouts and got injured, so he was not able to work out for teams like he wanted to. There was a team at 12 that was interested but had not seen a good workout with him. So, when he went to 20th with the Spurs, Ford was excited and felt that was a 100% perfect fit for James. "You're going to love James!"

rayray2k8
07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, Anderson did say he would defer to the defensive side and work to improve on his D and overall game.
Can't wait to see him at the summer league games.

Hooks
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I heard from several articles that he was a very good defender and others that said he played average defense. He was the only star on his team though, teams were focused on shutting him down so I'm sure he was sort of resting on the defensive end most of the time.

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks, Solid. I didn't get to catch it. :toast

admiralsnackbar
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
I heard from several articles that he was a very good defender and others that said he played average defense. He was the only star on his team though, teams were focused on shutting him down so I'm sure he was sort of resting on the defensive end most of the time.

Not to mention you can't afford to be picking up fouls when you're the #1 optionon your team.

Bruno
07-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Nice summary, thanks.

ceperez
07-01-2010, 03:15 PM
This could be yet another lucky draft by the spurs. Hill was more skill than luck. Blair was pure luck. Anderson may in fact be better than either Hill or Blair.

I like to hear about players who focus on the mental aspect of the game. If anderson has the athleticism and applies himself well then sky's the limit.

timvp
07-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Solid stuff, D. Hopefully he plays in summer league so the Spurs can figure if they need to go out and get perimeter help.

ducks
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM
great job

The Truth #6
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Interesting comments. Of course the coach is only going to say positive things, but at least its some insights to work with.

Thanks for the write up.

MajorMike
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
JA is an absolute freak, and can shoot from anywhere. He is better offensively than defensively. He did not play solid 100% defense but when they needed a stop in a critical place, they put him on the go-to guy. He could have played defense 100% of the time but he fouls a lot and they needed him to be in the game for his O more than his D.

Think Tony Allen with better offense; able to create on his own. Much more disciplined and studious than TA. Offense a little better than but MUCH better D than Joey Graham (who was scoring 15 points a game when Carmelo was out). Same sort of work ethic as Joey (which is why Joey has hung around this long).

Additionally, he is a fun player. He likes to smile and pump up the crowd and love to play the game. You know, some times your school has players you like to follow because they are from your school, but you aren't too terribly upset to see them go because they are jerks. JA isn't like that - everyone loved him and he was a great kid. I think SA could love a guy like James.

Manu-of-steel
07-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Great find! Seems like JA really is a level-headed player, coachable-spurs-like.

Cane
07-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Hopefully his hamstring heals up ASAP!