PDA

View Full Version : Splitter's Price Climbs

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-freeagentbuzz070110

Splitter’s price climbs

There were undoubtedly some eyes rolling into the backs of heads in the Spurs’ front office with the Minnesota Timberwolves close to an agreement with European center Nikola Pekovic(notes) on a three-year, $13 million contract. The Spurs are negotiating to bring over 2008 first-round pick Tiago Splitter(notes) this summer, and Pekovic’s deal promises to elevate Splitter’s leverage.

A 7-foot center from Brazil, Splitter is considered a far superior prospect to Pekovic. The Spurs’ ability to pay Splitter from its midlevel exception and still have some of that money to use on another free agent has been somewhat compromised.

– Adrian Wojnarowski, 11:40 a.m. ET, July 1

bigfan
07-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Damn idiot T-Wolves.

koriwhat
07-01-2010, 11:49 AM
damnit! here we go again...

timvp
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Minnesota also just signed Darko to a four-year, $20 million contract so perhaps the Spurs can claim insanity.

Seriously though, signing Splitter for less than the MLE is a pipe dream. It'd be really nice but Splitter has too much leverage and the Spurs are too desperate.

benefactor
Stop dicking around and give him the full MLE. It's not like there are a lot of better options out there.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Yep. Whatever the scenario or what happens in free agency, Splitter's got to get the whole MLE.

HarlemHeat37
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Of course he's going to get the full MLE(he could get less if he's feeling generous), this doesn't change anything..giving Splitter as much $ as he wants is a no-brainer..this isn't some old guy, he's in his athletic prime and will hopefully give the Spurs years of good service..

rayray2k8
07-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure the spurs were thinking about maybe giving him the whole MLE deal to Splitter.

cd98
07-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Minnesota also just signed Darko to a four-year, $20 million contract so perhaps the Spurs can claim insanity.

Seriously though, signing Splitter for less than the MLE is a pipe dream. It'd be really nice but Splitter has too much leverage and the Spurs are too desperate.

Thank you. When I saw that on Realgm.com, I had to hit refresh to make sure it was for real. How do you pay Darko $20 million for four years? Kahn is the new Wallace. Just as he may bid up the price to sign Splitter, maybe the Spurs front office can take advantage of his propensity to sell the farm for foreign players by doing a sign and trade of Ime.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Stop dicking around and give him the full MLE. It's not like there are a lot of better options out there.

Of course he's going to get the full MLE(he could get less if he's feeling generous), this doesn't change anything..giving Splitter as much $ as he wants is a no-brainer..this isn't some old guy, he's in his athletic prime and will hopefully give the Spurs years of good service..

All that and 29 yr old Drew Gooden just got 5/32. The full MLE is 5/34.

Pay the man.

timvp
07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
These are tricky negotiations for the Spurs. Their only leverage is that it's becoming pretty obvious that Splitter wants to come to the NBA. That could allow the Spurs to play a little bit of hardball.

I'm assuming the Spurs' opening offer to Splitter would be something in the neighborhood of three-years and $15 million. But yeah, as Yahoo suggests, Pekovic's deal makes that offer look too small.

Ditty
07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
tiago will get the full MLE and is smart enough to know how much the spurs could spend I hope he doesnt seem to greedy

EricB
07-01-2010, 12:06 PM
KAHN!!!!!!!

Someones gotta have that video somewhere....

benefactor
07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
These are tricky negotiations for the Spurs. Their only leverage is that it's becoming pretty obvious that Splitter wants to come to the NBA. That could allow the Spurs to play a little bit of hardball.

I'm assuming the Spurs' opening offer to Splitter would be something in the neighborhood of three-years and $15 million. But yeah, as Yahoo suggests, Pekovic's deal makes that offer look too small.
...couple that with the fact that Splitter now knows that the Spurs won't have to pay tax on his salary and the Spurs are running out of excuses as to why they can't give him the full MLE.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Now the Suns are reported to have a 5/25 offer on the table for Channing Frye.

Give him the 5/34 before he demands a trade to a team with enough cap space to pay him more.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Now the Suns are reported to have a 5/25 offer on the table for Channing Frye.

Give him the 5/34 before he demands a trade to a team with enough cap space to pay him more.

Do you honestly see Splitter taking a 5 year deal? I think the most he would accept is a 3 year (with maybe a player option for a 4th) in hopes of becoming a FA and cashing in as a FA.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Do you honestly see Splitter taking a 5 year deal? I think the most he would accept is a 3 year (with maybe a player option for a 4th) in hopes of becoming a FA and cashing in as a FA.

I absolutely agree.

That may be the major point of the negotiations, with the Spurs offering a higher annual salary for a longer deal and a lower annual salary for a shorter deal.

urunobili
07-01-2010, 12:24 PM
lol T- Wolves :lol

baseline bum
07-01-2010, 12:32 PM
The Spurs cannot afford to screw these negotiations up. Goddamn, if they re-sign Jefferson but let Splitter pass through their hands.... :smchode:

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2010, 12:33 PM
No need to f around. Get the deal done.

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Before his strong playoffs I thought a 3yer/12 million deal would be fair (Scola deal) but after his MVP in Spain I think we'll have to pay him near the full MLE.

I hope he signs for 5 years but I think it'll be 3years - $18 million

DesignatedT
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Just sign him up already.

vander
07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
no reason for Spurs to be cheap here, RJ just gifted them millions of salary+luxtax relief, open up the pocketbook and bring the dude over, don't worry about getting someone else with part of the MLE, just bring back players like RJ, Ian, Hairston and etc.

throw that draft pick into the mix right away too

and for the love of god TRADE TONY PARKER!!!!

Brazil
07-01-2010, 12:40 PM
It's not my money so I'm all for giving him the max ! Sign him up !

LongtimeSpursFan
07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
KAHN!!!!!!!

:lmao That shits funny.

TIMMYD!
07-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Just get this fucking thing done.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
KAHN!!!!!!!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/rollo_tomassi7/kahn1.gif

wRnSnfiUI54

nbaman99
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Splitter talented enough to get the MLL and i don't know why we're still thinking about this. Correct me if I'm wrong but i think MLL is little over 5 million right? so we can offer spiltter way more than Minnesota offered this other guy, so what's the problem?

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Splitter talented enough to get the MLL and i don't know why we're still thinking about this. Correct me if I'm wrong but i think MLL is little over 5 million right? so we can offer spiltter way more than Minnesota offered this other guy, so what's the problem?

The MLE is actually closer to $6M (~$5.8M) and we can offer all of it to Splitter anywhere from 1 to 5 years. The consensus is that Splitter is "far superior" to Pekovic and the Spurs have virtually no shot whatsoever of getting Splitter for anything less than the full MLE (which at one time was a realistic possibility). Although Splitter has had the upper hand in negotiations thus far, this signing (combined with other factors) basically tips the scale even further to his side.

EricB
07-01-2010, 01:25 PM
:lol I knew someone would have it. Guaranteed that's pop and rc right now...

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
KAHN!!!!!!!

Changed my Twitter avatar in honor of David Khan's performance the past 13 months. Your future T-Wolves fans: www.khaaan.com

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33

Chucho
07-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I really hope this gets done in as fast and peaceful a manner as possible.

BTW, is David Khan's personal goal to break Isiah's record for highest cap figure to accumulate the worst record ever? This guy has already taken the mantle of Worst GM in NBA history in just 2 offseasons. Say what you will about Isiah, at least he gave money to guys that had track records of statistical success and credentials. Khan is just a fucking moron.

rascal
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Splitter will not be a big difference maker. Spurs will still fall short with Splitter. The spurs will still need to add another quality center.

Seventyniner
07-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I really hope this gets done in as fast and peaceful a manner as possible.

BTW, is David Khan's personal goal to break Isiah's record for highest cap figure to accumulate the worst record ever? This guy has already taken the mantle of Worst GM in NBA history in just 2 offseasons. Say what you will about Isiah, at least he gave money to guys that had track records of statistical success and credentials. Khan is just a fucking moron.

Isiah was still worse, and Kevin McHale wasn't much good either. Kahn may be giving out weird contracts, but Isiah would've given Darko $70M at least.

Mr Bones
07-01-2010, 01:49 PM
If Splitter suits up for the Spurs and plays well, they have an outside shot at a title. If Splitter feels he is being low-balled and stays in Europe, there's no chance whatsoever.

angelbelow
07-01-2010, 02:04 PM
this article doesnt mean much. most of us expected him to sign the full MLE anyways. anything less would have been a surprise

07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
as long as it does not exceed the MLE, it's fine.

Chomag
07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I like most of us allready expected it to take the full MLE. I just hope that the FO is not dicking around and trying to lowball him, sours are in no postition to try to ge thim cheaply.

Allthough our Fo has a track record on getting the talent cheap I don't think that would be a good idea here.

Whoever is making the decision here .JUST GET THE DAMN DEAL DONE!

jag
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Even if Tiago takes 4 million a year it isn't like the Spurs will be able to add a piece that will make that much of a difference with the extra 2 million.

There were a few people last night trying to convince everyone that the Spurs next starting SF could be had for 1.8 Mil. And he'd be a solid replacement, too.

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
[Comment From JayJay: ]
With the $13MM to Pekovic, does that set the table for the Spurs to need to use their entire MLE on Splitter? How much more is Splitter worth?
Thursday July 1, 2010 1:39 Jay
1:40 John Hollinger: Not necessarily. Pekovic is really good, so I don't think it necessarily means the Spurs have to blow away Splitter now. The only comparison point is what a team in Europe can offer, and nobody over there is paying Childress money in this economy (especially in Spain). I'm guessing Splitter gets less than Gooden but more than Darko.
Thursday July 1, 2010 1:40 John Hollinger

benefactor
07-01-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.encancha.com/articulo/10938

Nothing really solid...just more assumptions that Splitter is crossing the pond.

we'll see what happens in the coming days but it is clear that the future of Splitter is in the NBA.

dbestpro
07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
We don't need Splitter. RC is gonna resign Bonner.

Das Texan
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Topic makes it sound like the Spurs wont be able to afford Splitter.

The assumption for a while has been that Splitter will eat up all of the MLE or 90% of it, which might as well be the entire thing.

Move along, nothing of significance here.

BadOne
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry but that "KAHN" shit is hillarious!!!:lmao

objective
07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
We don't need Splitter. RC is gonna resign Bonner.

no need for it to be blue, I'm sure there's a contingent out there who wouldn't be phased if the Spurs gave an MLE deal to Bonner and dumped Splitter's rights.

spursbird
07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Splitter will not be a big difference maker. Spurs will still fall short with Splitter. The spurs will still need to add another quality center.
If Splitter perform well, McDyess coming from the bench is enough.

Danny.Zhu
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Thank god we have extended Manu's contract.

With today's price level, he probably could get a maximum.

ducks
07-01-2010, 11:11 PM
spurs have no more the the mle
so atleast splitter can not expect more then that!

rayray2k8
07-01-2010, 11:21 PM
spurs have no more the the mle
so atleast splitter can not expect more then that!

That's the most they can give him.

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2010, 12:58 AM
:lol I knew someone would have it. Guaranteed that's pop and rc right now...

I'm sorry but that "KAHN" shit is hillarious!!!:lmao

http://kahhhhhn.spreadshirt.com/

EricB
07-02-2010, 01:01 AM
no need for it to be blue, I'm sure there's a contingent out there who wouldn't be phased if the Spurs gave an MLE deal to Bonner and dumped Splitter's rights.

That contingent would only be in your own head....

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 01:12 AM
no reason for Spurs to be cheap here, RJ just gifted them millions of salary+luxtax relief, open up the pocketbook and bring the dude over, don't worry about getting someone else with part of the MLE, just bring back players like RJ, Ian, Hairston and etc.

throw that draft pick into the mix right away too

and for the love of god TRADE TONY PARKER!!!!

Draft night hurt, huh?

hsxvvd
07-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Anybody consider the possibility that a thread such as this with so many people saying "pay the guy" might actually provide more leverage for Splitter and drive up his price?

Unlikely, but lesser things have been suggested.

Man In Black
07-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Kahn as a GM is reaching Ted Stepien-esque proportions for Basketball Tom Foolery.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5825252/12253005

1980 - Cleveland trades Bill Robinzine, their 1983 1st round pick (Derek Harper), and their 1986 first round pick (Roy Tarpley) to Dallas in exchange for Richard Washington and Jerome Whitehead. Granted no future superstars were involved in this deal, but the cluelessness of then Cavs owner Ted Stepien put the trade on this list, who had an irritating habit of trading his top draft picks for doghouse scrubs. The man literally didn't know basketball. If you thought the Isiah Thomas era in New York was bad, the Stepien era in Cleveland was - well, there is no appropriate word to describe it. It was THAT bad. Washington spent the next season and a half with the Cavs, averaging 9.1 PPG, while Whitehead would be cut three weeks after the trade. Derek Harper would turn out to be a very good NBA player for Dallas.

How do I know about Ted Stepien? You had to be alive and into hoops back in a day when NBA finals games were tape-delayed and be addicted to the little orange ball. Strangely...I'm still addicted.

Flux451
07-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Hello Everybody! Back from the dead.

I want to assume RJ is playing humble and allowing the Spurs to allot more of (his possible dough) towards Splitter and another free agent.

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 02:59 AM
I'm hoping the working out with Pop story is straight CIA intended to help prop Jefferson's value in free agency a bit. The more he signs for, the bigger trade exception the Spurs can get.

jiggy_55
07-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Is there a chance that if the Spurs can't agree with Splitter, that they will sign-and-trade him or trade his rights before July 15?

If so, would there be a chance of getting anyone significant? Of course, the Spurs priority is Splitter and I think he will be great here. But the longer this goes without much news the more doubt I start to get. Splitter has been able to discuss with the Spurs since the end of his season and it seems like it would have been easy to get an agreement as he wants to join the NBA most likely and we want him to come and have the MLE to give him.

I sure hope he's signed ASAP.

objective
07-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Is there a chance that if the Spurs can't agree with Splitter, that they will sign-and-trade him or trade his rights before July 15?

It would seem logical. He wouldn't have an out in his contract for another two years if I remember correctly, so getting something for him now would seem defendable. And if he stays in Europe it might be for a new team that pays the higher Euro-buyout, meaning more years added to his contract and a longer wait until the next buyout option.

But the longer this goes without much news the more doubt I start to get. Splitter has been able to discuss with the Spurs since the end of his season and it seems like it would have been easy to get an agreement as he wants to join the NBA most likely and we want him to come and have the MLE to give him.

I sure hope he's signed ASAP.

It does seem at least a little weird. If the Spurs aren't offering him the MLE, then why aren't they? Because there's little defense of them if they're not offering the full MLE while happily entertaining the possibility of Bonner's return. If Splitter's not willing to sign for the MLE, then that's a big killer.

jiggy_55
07-02-2010, 05:37 AM
It would seem logical. He wouldn't have an out in his contract for another two years if I remember correctly, so getting something for him now would seem defendable. And if he stays in Europe it might be for a new team that pays the higher Euro-buyout, meaning more years added to his contract and a longer wait until the next buyout option.

Ya, that's what I was thinking. I mean if there's no chance of a deal maybe they'd trade his rights before the July 15 date in case another team wants to try or has more money to offer him.

It does seem at least a little weird. If the Spurs aren't offering him the MLE, then why aren't they? Because there's little defense of them if they're not offering the full MLE while happily entertaining the possibility of Bonner's return. If Splitter's not willing to sign for the MLE, then that's a big killer.

Exactly. Why wouldn't they offer it to him? No reason not to. I just don't get why he wouldn't have signed with us already, there seems to be something stopping him. Like you say, if he wants more than the MLE we do have a big problem at hand. That's why I considered a possible trade in case this was the scenario.

objective
07-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Exactly. Why wouldn't they offer it to him?

Who knows? Maybe they just want to go cheap on him. They didn't want to pay Scola a Bonner-level contract. Maybe they don't want to jeopardize re-signing Bonner with the addition of so much for Splitter.

I just don't get why he wouldn't have signed with us already, there seems to be something stopping him.

Maybe it's a situation where he wants to have his ass kissed and be promised a big role. Spurs usually don't kiss ass and usually don't promise anything to anyone.

ChuckD
07-02-2010, 07:02 AM

That's actually powerful leverage for one reason: the Spurs are the only NBA team he can talk to. Pekovic can shop himself around. Splitter can't.

Splitter's leverage is even less than a RFA.

Chieflion
07-02-2010, 07:08 AM
That's actually powerful leverage for one reason: the Spurs are the only NBA team he can talk to. Pekovic can shop himself around. Splitter can't.

Pekovic's draft rights are owned by the Timberwolves as they drafted him with their 2nd round pick. He also cannot talk to other teams. The reason why he tole teams to not pick him in the 1st round is because he did not want to be restrained by the 1st round draft pick rookie scale as he may go over to the NBA before the 3 year limit.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Pekovic couldn't have shopped himself around, as he was Minny's 2008 2nd round draft pick.

BadOne
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
http://kahhhhhn.spreadshirt.com/

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/16599203/view/1/producttypecolor/2/type/png/width/280/height/280:lmao:lmao:lmao

THAT'S PRICELESS. THIS JUST MADE MY DAY!!!

DPG21920
07-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Why is everything so deathly quiet on the splitter front?

AFBlue
07-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Definitely makes me nervous. He's supposedly the number one target for the Spurs this off-season and there is no news in the first couple days of free agency?

Well at least we know it won't drag out all summer.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Hopefully, they're just working out the details. Even if both sides agree that the contract will start at the full MLE or very close to it, there is still plenty to negotiate. The Spurs certainly aren't handing the full MLE to Splitter's agent and letting him structure it any way he sees fit.

Length of contract
Player options
Teams options
Trade kickers

So, I'm hoping that they're down to the details.

DPG21920
07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I just wish we heard more, because of all these other rumors about the spurs being interested in MLE level players makes one nervous.

TimmehC
07-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Maybe because he's getting married tomorrow. After the honeymoon, maybe?

AFBlue
07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Maybe because he's getting married tomorrow. After the honeymoon, maybe?

Wha...really?

Either way, he has until the 20th to opt out of his euro contract...so it better not be a long honeymoon.

objective
07-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Wha...really?

Either way, he has until the 20th to opt out of his euro contract...so it better not be a long honeymoon.

I believe he only has until the 15th to get his buyout clause activated with Caja Laboral.

ploto
07-02-2010, 02:25 PM
The one concern to me is that the Spurs have been able to talk to Splitter all along. They did not have to wait for July 1 to negotiate a deal with him. It seems like it would have been done by now, especially with the time constraints on his buy out.

lurker23
07-02-2010, 02:51 PM

No worries, folks. Tiago was just focused on the World Cup.

@tiagosplitter21

Brasil fuera/ fora/ out!!! Thats horrible!!

http://twitter.com/tiagosplitter21

Just like everyone else, now that his country is out, he'll have to go back to focusing on his day job. :downspin:

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Sometimes no news is good news. While we haven't heard any reports that an agreement is close, we also haven't seen any public posturing by his agent or any media reports that 'sources close to Splitter aren't happy with the offer from the Spurs'.

Perhaps most encouraging, except for Caja's extension offer, when was the last report of another European team targeting Splitter?

EricB
07-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Things are gonna go silent with the holiday weekend coming up anyways.

My buddys already left the office and said the offices are pretty bare even at 3 on friday.

benefactor
07-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Perhaps most encouraging, except for Caja's extension offer, when was the last report of another European team targeting Splitter?
Exactly...and every report we do hear is saying that he is gone to the NBA.

vander
07-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Draft night hurt, huh?

huh? I'm fine with who we took, he should get minutes right away.

Bruno
07-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Spurs aren't in concurrence with other NBA teams for Splitter. It's possible that they have still reached an agreement and keep it secret. Given that Splitter cna't sign his contract before July 8th, there are few edges to make the public announcement now.

EricB
07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
huh? I'm fine with who we took, he should get minutes right away.

He meant in not trading Tony Parker...

taps
07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
when was the last report of another European team targeting Splitter?

even KBP has been quiet on this front

benefactor
07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2010-07-03/querejeta-cree-logan-jugador-20100703.html

Another article with yet more strong quotes from Barca's president about Splitter not returning and being focused on finding his replacement. Not sure if these quotes are from today.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2010, 10:26 PM
time for american teams to start poachin europe players since there is uncertainty in euro economy...

timvp
07-02-2010, 10:29 PM

IIRC, Splitter's contract has a large buyout for other Euro teams. Perhaps that's the reason.

Harry Callahan
07-03-2010, 09:00 AM
TimVP is right, I think, I remember reading at some point how Splitters old team implemented a much higher buyout for any non-NBA team acquiring him in the middle of his four year deal from 08.

If he leaves, SA is the only destination most likely.

I find it interesting (and this may have an effect on Splitter's decision) - Houston is jacking around with Scola now because they are openly courting Chris Bosh- also a power forward - and possibly offering up Scola as partial compensation in a S&T. That's some loyalty the Rockets are showing.

My point is that Scola waited so long to get to the NBA and now he is a 30 year old player who still hasn't signed a long term big money deal in the NBA. His best friend Splitter sees this and probably realizes he better get over here to the U.S. now when he is still only 25, get a good contract and before the European economy collapses.

EduRiker
07-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Splitter was interviewed a few days ago. Was asked about next season.

http://balanacesta.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... rte-1.html (http://balanacesta.blogspot.com/2010/06/o-mvp-fala-parte-1.html)

- Mas, Tiago, de que torcida você se refere para a próxima temporada?
-- (Risos). Não sei ainda o que será feito, mas não tenho como esconder que tenho um desejo muito grande de jogar na NBA e isso está muito próximo de se sacramentar. Essa possibilidade já existe faz tempo, mas como tive ótimos contratos e uma condição muito boa aqui na Espanha, esperei um pouco. Agora, porém, me sinto maduro para poder chegar, me adaptar e atuar bem na liga americana. Ainda faltam alguns detalhes, mas sinto que é a minha hora de fazer o salto e vou fazer de tudo para me sair bem na NBA. Espero acertar a minha situação em breve com o clube (Splitter se refere ao San Antonio Spurs, cujo técnico, Gregg Popovich, ligou para Tiago na semana passada para reforçar o interesse da franquia em contar com os seus serviços, apesar das ofertas que quase dez times fizeram após o Draft).

I dont know what Im going to do, but I cant hide I have a big desire to play in the NBA and thats very close to happening. That possibility is out there for a while, but since I had great contracts and a very nice situation in Spain, I waited a little. Now, however, I feel matured enough to come, adapt and to play well in the american league. There are still some details (to solve) but I feel this is the time to make the jump and I will do everything to do well in the NBA. I hope I can arrange an agreement soon with the club. (Gregg Popovich called Tiago last week to stress the franchise's interest in him even though the Spurs had received almost ten oferts for him after the draft)

Mel_13
07-03-2010, 10:19 AM

I dont know what Im going to do, but I cant hide I have a big desire to play in the NBA and thats very close to happening. That possibility is out there for a while, but since I had great contracts and a very nice situation in Spain, I waited a little. Now, however, I feel matured enough to come, adapt and to play well in the american league. There are still some details (to solve) but I feel this is the time to make the jump and I will do everything to do well in the NBA. I hope I can arrange an agreement soon with the club. (Gregg Popovich called Tiago last week to stress the franchise's interest in him even though the Spurs had received almost ten oferts for him after the draft)

Thanks for posting.

Certainly doesn't sound like someone that's getting jerked around.

Spurs Brazil
07-03-2010, 11:18 AM

http://balanacesta.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... rte-1.html (http://balanacesta.blogspot.com/2010/06/o-mvp-fala-parte-1.html)

Thanks for posting. He seems ready to make the jump. I think Bruno is right and the deal is already done but the Spurs are hiding because of their FA strategy

- In the first line of his last answer he said coming to the NBA is very close to happening

- More then ten teams made offers for him during the draft

ducks
07-03-2010, 11:20 AM
I hope I can arrange an agreement soon with the club. (Gregg Popovich called Tiago last week to stress the franchise's interest in him even though the Spurs had received almost ten oferts for him after the draft)

EricB
07-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Would've been interesting to hear how "serious" those were.

Blackjack
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Sounds good, and appreciate the post. :tu

Would've been interesting to hear how "serious" those were.

That's what Ludden is for: after-the-fact, after-the-smoke-clears kind of info. :lol

benefactor
07-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm really starting to wonder if this is all smoke and mirrors and the Spurs already have an agreement in place. Bruno made a good point in the Matthews thread:

If Spurs are interested in Matthews, it could explain why they say nothing about Splitter.

Matthews is a RFA but he has been with Jazz for one year. Jazz must use their MLE to match offers form other teams. However, Jazz have other needs and could use a part of the MLE on another player.

Spurs best interest in that case is to let Utah in the dark and not reveal what part of their MLE they will spend on Splitter. If Spurs had revealed how much Splitter would get, Utah would exactly know what part of their MLE they can spend to keep the ability to match an offer from Spurs. By keeping the Splitter transaction secret, Utah could move first to sign a FA with a part of their MLE and end up not being able to match an offer for Matthews from Spurs.
It makes no sense right now for the Spurs from a leverage standpoint with other potential free agent suitors for them to say a deal with Splitter is finalized.

Blackjack
07-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I agree with Bruno's take to a degree.

Where I have a hard time believing it passes the sniff test, is thinking that the Spurs would still have enough left of their MLE to give a contract that the Jazz or someone else couldn't better -- I can't see Tiago taking any less than 4M and I expect him to take more.

So I tend to believe Tiago's deal is all but done and the Spurs don't want to show all their cards -- likely for restricted free-agency purposes -- but it's got to be for a lower-level guy. Someone who won't command quite as much coin, IMO.

benefactor
07-03-2010, 02:32 PM

Where I have a hard time believing it passes the sniff test, is thinking that the Spurs would still have enough left of their MLE to give a contract that the Jazz or someone else couldn't better -- I can't see Tiago taking any less than 4M and I expect him to take more.

So I tend to believe Tiago's deal is all but done and the Spurs don't want to show all their cards -- likely for restricted free-agency purposes -- but it's got to be for a lower-level guy. Someone who won't command quite as much coin, IMO.
Yeah...it's more broad brushed then just being aimed at one player i.e. Matthews.

HankChinaski
07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
You have to wonder if seeing day 1 of FA has caused some changes in whatever allegedly was agreed upon. I wonder if something like that caused some changes with signing him over.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-03-2010, 04:47 PM
You have to wonder if seeing day 1 of FA has caused some changes in whatever allegedly was agreed upon. I wonder if something like that caused some changes with signing him over.

I could be wrong, but I believe I heard something that Splitter's contract in Spain doesn't expire until july 8th so perhaps that's why the Spurs haven't inked him yet.

objective
07-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe I heard something that Splitter's contract in Spain doesn't expire until july 8th so perhaps that's why the Spurs haven't inked him yet.

he has to give Caja Laboral notice by the 15th if I remember the dates right.

Mel_13
07-03-2010, 05:00 PM

he has to give Caja Laboral notice by the 15th if I remember the dates right.

July 8- earliest date to sign NBA contract

July 15- last day to opt out/buyout of current contract

Brazil
07-03-2010, 05:04 PM

clever strategy for the spurs but awful for the fan :lol

smrattler
07-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Spurs need to offer full MLE, ask Splitter how many years he wants at that rate (up to max allowed by the NBA of course) and cross their fingers that it's enough. Nothing else they can do.

Anything less than this and he is not coming. I don't think that was ever NOT the case. So, in my opinion the price has't changed really. If we thought we could get him for less, we were kidding ourselves.

EduRiker
07-04-2010, 10:11 PM
For the experts on salary cap. How much salary can the Spurs receive in a trade for Splitter rights?

Mel_13
07-04-2010, 10:14 PM
For the experts on salary cap. How much salary can the Spurs receive in a trade for Splitter rights?

None, but they can receive cash considerations. I'm pretty sure that the limit on that is 3M dollars.

EduRiker
07-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks, man. I was really curious.

FWIW, I think Splitter to Spurs is a done deal.

Mel_13
07-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks, man. I was really curious.

FWIW, I think Splitter to Spurs is a done deal.

I'm optimistic, but I won't believe it until I see him next to RC Buford holding up a Spurs jersey with his name on it.

MaNu4Tres
07-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm optimistic, but I won't believe it until I see him next to RC Buford holding up a Spurs jersey with his name on it.

I think the hold up on the announcement is because the Spurs are possibly trying to get Splitters side to agree to a little bit less than the MLE.

Which would give the Spurs the small amount of space to make potential non-guaranteed deals to promising undrafted rookies at the end of the year. Similar to what they did this past year with McDyess-Gee-Temple-Jerrels.

Of course if it came down to it, the Spurs will just offer the full MLE if there is no chance for Splitter to agree to 5 million instead of 5.8 million.

That's just my two cents on the hold-up with the verbal agreement.

Manufan909
07-05-2010, 12:47 AM
This wait is killing me, I want to know if he's in or out already.

So manu4tres, if Splitter got all the MLE, then there'd be no chance for Gee/Temple/whoever? They prob already have unguaranteed contracts already, so sorry if it is a dumb question.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2010, 03:47 AM
So manu4tres, if Splitter got all the MLE, then there'd be no chance for Gee/Temple/whoever? They prob already have unguaranteed contracts already, so sorry if it is a dumb question.They are indeed already on unguaranteed contracts, but their respective statuses probably aren't directly dependent on Splitter's deal unless that and the rest of the Spurs' offseason moves put them back over the luxury tax threshold.

temujin
07-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Pekovic is the only Euro player that is a better prospect than Splitter.
Certainly better as a center.

Minnesota overpayed a player, as usual.
They have to, if they want to convince good players that care about winning go play for a perennial loser in that place.

No need to worry.
10-12 millions/3 years will do for Splitter.

lotr1trekkie
07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I will assume that the Spurs have told TS that they have big plans for him. I assume he will be a starter sooner rather then later. If so he deserves MLE. I assume he has big plans for himself.

Kindergarten Cop
07-05-2010, 10:16 AM

They have to, if they want to convince good players that care about winning go play for a perennial loser in that place.

No need to worry.

No offense, but by who's account is Pekovic a better prospect than Splitter (even at center)? I admit that I know little about players outside of the United States, but from everything that I have read and heard - Splitter is better than Pekovic by leaps and bounds and it isn't really even close. I could be wrong, but would you mind providing some support or a link for the claim that Pekovic is a better prospect? Thanks in advance.

TimDunkem
07-05-2010, 10:19 AM
No offense, but by who's account is Pekovic a better prospect than Splitter (even at center)? I admit that I know little about players outside of the United States, but from everything that I have read and heard - Splitter is better than Pekovic by leaps and bounds and it isn't really even close. I could be wrong, but would you mind providing some support or a link for the claim that Pekovic is a better prospect? Thanks in advance.
lol Yeah, really. Splitter is arguably the best big man not playing in the NBA, and only a year older than Pekovic, yet he's not the better prospect?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-05-2010, 11:25 AM

A couple of years ago Pekovic was probably a better prospect than Splitter, however Tiago has improved greatly since then,while Pekovic... well not so much since he went to play in Greece.

Right now Tiago is undoubtedly the better player, but it's possible that Pekovic's game could translate better to the NBA, especially in a team like Minnesota, where he could eventually get pretty decent numbers ( if they trade Al Jeff ).

temujin
07-05-2010, 11:43 AM

No offense.
Link?
Me. Check my record to predict the outcome of the Scola "trade".
I actually watch games.
Euroleague games.
Splitter was great in the Spanish league, but was a non factor in the Euroleague.
Pekovic is a beast, stronger, better rebounder and with great post skills.
He is NBA-ready.
The only question mark, he is Serbian: sometimes they go nuts in big games and lose it.
Splitter is cool, better in defensive rotations and a better passer.
He will have to put on at least 30 pounds to seriously match up with some of the NBA bigs, though.
He is more a PF than a center, in my opinion.
That could go down well, considering the decline of Duncan.

Mel_13
07-05-2010, 11:46 AM

No need to worry.

Minny's contract with Peckovic is almost completely irrelevant to the deal that the Spurs and Splitter will reach.

Splitter's leverage with regard to the Spurs is much greater than what Peckovic had with the Wolves.

Splitter will get much more than 3/12.

temujin
07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
A couple of years ago Pekovic was probably a better prospect than Splitter, however Tiago has improved greatly since then,while Pekovic... well not so much since he went to play in Greece.

Right now Tiago is undoubtedly the better player, but it's possible that Pekovic's game could translate better to the NBA, especially in a team like Minnesota, where he could eventually get pretty decent numbers ( if they trade Al Jeff ).

This.

Pekovic was one of the few bright spots in the Pana disaster this year.

temujin
07-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Minny's contract with Peckovic is almost completely irrelevant to the deal that the Spurs and Splitter will reach.

Splitter's leverage with regard to the Spurs is much greater than what Peckovic had with the Wolves.

Splitter will get much more than 3/12.

I disagree that Pekovic's leverage was inferior to Splitter's.
Minnesota could not sign -and never will, probably- their first draft choice of 09.
I guess there was some pressure there.
They were desperate to sign a big of some sort.
Pekovic was making pretty good money in Greece, in the $4-5 millions a year bullpark, and you REALLY do want to play in the NBA, to accept Minnesota, but not for inferior money.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure what all the hand wringing is about.

Players can't sign until July 8. You never see the Spurs getting the ESPN air time or leaking to the E-N ahead of time. You'll probably see something from Ludden or Woj over at Yahoo late the night of the 7th, and The Excuse for News trotting along with a similar story about an hour after, and the Spurs will announce the signing on the 8th with a small press conference in the afternoon.

Mel_13
07-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I disagree that Pekovic's leverage was inferior to Splitter's.
Minnesota could not sign -and never will, probably- their first draft choice of 09.
I guess there was some pressure there.
They were desperate to sign a big of some sort.
Pekovic was making pretty good money in Greece, in the $4-5 millions a year bullpark, and you REALLY do want to play in the NBA, to accept Minnesota, but not for inferior money.

1. How much leverage could he have had if he took substantially less money to sign in Minnesota than he could have received to stay in Europe?

2. Minnesota won 15 games last year. They have Jefferson, Love, Milicic, and Hollins. How desperately did they really need Peckovic?

We'll find out soon, but I'm certain Splitter will get a much more lucrative contract than 3/12.

Spurs Brazil
07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
A falta de oficializar la marcha de Splitter a los San Antonio Spurs, algo que debe concretarse como muy tarde el próximo día 15, el Baskonia se ha puesto a rastrear el mercado para hallar su recambio. "El mercado ofrece alternativas muy pequeñas y todas están fuera de nuestras posibilidades", ha aseverado.

http://www.abc.es/agencias/noticia.asp?noticia=443011

Amuseddaysleeper
07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
A lack of progress Splitter formalize the San Antonio Spurs, something that should be put later on the 15th, the Baskonia has been tracking the market to find its replacement. "The options market offers very small and they are all beyond our means," he asserted.

Kindergarten Cop
07-05-2010, 03:17 PM
A lack of progress Splitter formalize the San Antonio Spurs, something that should be put later on the 15th, the Baskonia has been tracking the market to find its replacement. "The options market offers very small and they are all beyond our means," he asserted.

Thanks for the Google translation, but could someone else post a literal translation so we could better understand the statement? Thanks in advance.

temujin
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
1. How much leverage could he have had if he took substantially less money to sign in Minnesota than he could have received to stay in Europe?

2. Minnesota won 15 games last year. They have Jefferson, Love, Milicic, and Hollins. How desperately did they really need Peckovic?

We'll find out soon, but I'm certain Splitter will get a much more lucrative contract than 3/12.

Pekovic could have stayed in Europe, playing for a contender team and have his money guaranteed.
The money he is getting is slightly more than with Pana.

Splitter has no choice really, but joining the Spurs, or Madrid in Europe.
He played for a smallville second tier, with financial problems, and his "two years" left in his contract, signed in a pre-financial crisis era, are anything but guaranteed.
So either he joins the Spurs at a 12M/3 -generous, actually- or he is heading to Madrid with a contract of 2 years max 7M (USD).
Forget about his old contract, even in Madrid.
The times for fat long term contracts are over in Europe, even for state-owned teams like Madrid.
Splitter knows that quite well.

It is possible that the Spurs offer him more.
If I were Splitter, I would actually settle for a 2 years contract: if he fulfils his potential, he could well brake the coffers in two years time.

Mel_13
07-05-2010, 03:43 PM
So either he joins the Spurs at a 12M/3 -generous, actually- or he is heading to Madrid with a contract of 2 years max 7M (USD).

Your best guess. Time will tell.

Spurs Brazil
07-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I think the Spurs and Tiago are going ULTRA CIA in this one because there's no reports so far, nothing.
We know McDonald is terrible but it's impossible to think that a reporter would not call an agent, that he knows well Herb Hudoy (Manu agent), to know what's going on.

Solid D
07-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure if Splitter is taking a honeymoon but I doubt you will see many quotes or activity right now.

EduRiker
07-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I think that the preseason game against Caja is a PRETTY STRONG signal he's joining the Spurs and the game is probably part of the agreement.

Stump
07-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I think that the preseason game against Caja is a PRETTY STRONG signal he's joining the Spurs and the game is probably part of the agreement.
You sure? I bet that game has been planned for a while. The Oberto/Scola/Splitter connection is only a coincidence.

TDMVPDPOY
07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
bUT mle sounds about right for splitter, dont forget the bonuses players get from playoffs game which will prop up their earnings

EduRiker
07-05-2010, 08:04 PM
You sure? I bet that game has been planned for a while. The Oberto/Scola/Splitter connection is only a coincidence.

Doubt the Spurs would play a team that has been nothing but problem over the years (Scola, Splitter) on their own will.
No, Im not sure but I do think it's a strong signal this friendly is attached to the agreement.

Balance
07-05-2010, 08:44 PM

If I were Splitter, I would actually settle for a 2 years contract: if he fulfils his potential, he could well brake the coffers in two years time.

How much money could he make with a new contract/extension in his 3rd or 4th year?

I know he doesn't have any other options in the NBA, so it doesn't matter how much the Spurs offer him, if he wants to come he'll have to accept it. But the number of years will be the main issue of the contract. If the Spurs are cheap now, they might have to pay more later.

elgato21
07-06-2010, 05:39 AM
You still have 9 more days...
July 15th is the Day!!!
I hope he stays here in Caja Laboral
well, if he doesnt sign in madrid...

Ice009
07-06-2010, 05:59 AM
You still have 9 more days...
July 15th is the Day!!!
I hope he stays here in Caja Laboral
well, if he doesnt sign in madrid...

So I take it you're not a Spurs fan?

elgato21
07-06-2010, 06:21 AM
No, im Caja Laboral's fan, and I want him here.. Im sorry

tuncaboylu
07-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Would you become a Spurs fan if Splitter decides to join Spurs?

Ice009
07-06-2010, 07:13 AM

Well I want him on the Spurs. He put his name in the draft and he got drafted. He stayed an extra two years with you guys so now it's time for him to come to the Spurs.

elgato21
07-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Ofcourse i will be Spurs fan!! I dont him playing for Real Madrid or Lakers... Im tired of these teams!!!

ChuckD
07-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Well I want him on the Spurs. He put his name in the draft and he got drafted. He stayed an extra two years with you guys so now it's time for him to come to the Spurs.

Actually, while he declared early a couple of times and pulled out, when SA drafted him, he had simply turned 22, and was automatically eligible for the draft.

elgato21
07-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Sorry, i dont want* him playing...

taps
07-06-2010, 01:56 PM
I dont want him playing for Real Madrid or Lakers... Im tired of these teams!!!

:lol this comment is a winner

jiggy_55
07-07-2010, 08:29 AM
I have no idea what it says, but I found this on today's Hoopshype's News section with the tag line of: "Tiago Splitter's representatives are putting pressure on the Spurs so they make an offer for their client as soon as possible."
http://www.noticiasdealava.com/2010/07/07/baskonia/splitter-apremia-a-los-spurs-para-que-le-trasladen-una-oferta

This deserves a fucking new thread! :wow

Have they not made an offer???

jiggy_55
07-07-2010, 08:42 AM
http://www.noticiasdealava.com/2010/07/07/baskonia/splitter-apremia-a-los-spurs-para-que-le-trasladen-una-oferta

Google translation:

Splitter urges Spurs to move him an offer
The Texas franchise has discretion to release the statement after Jefferson
OSM - Wednesday, July 7, 2010 - Updated at 4:16 pm

VITORIA. The countdown to the virtually certain Tiago Splitter march to the NBA has already begun. A little over a week to expiry of the deadline (July 15) that allows you to benefit from an exit clause and terminate his contract with Baskonia for the next two seasons, officials of the Brazilian power forward and have urged Spurs to move as quickly as possible a satisfactory offer to make the dream of Barca integral still crossing the pond this summer.

The Texas franchise, through its highest level, has reiterated on many occasions his desire to have in his new project Splitter. The interior orphan makes good level in just under an obligation to the task of bringing one of the few stars that still swarms in European basketball, but its managers have not activated until now all the resources at its disposal to realize that interest in a compelling offering that pushes the Joinville to leave the capital of Alava. For now, try squaring numbers to see all possibilities at its disposal and, above all, not to exceed the salary cap set by the NBA, which is set at about $ 56 million in the 2010-11 season.

Against the interests Vitoria plays that San Antonio has a greater margin of maneuver to recruit free agents after Richard Jefferson, one of the more expensive contracts for your facility during the past year, quit the team in late June. Coach Gregg Popovich has found extra money with which, a priori, no reinforcements had to invest in the battered change the whole course.

Unless you take the unlikely choice to transfer the rights of the Brazilian in the customary exchange of players, Toronto would be interested as American media, "the Spurs eligible for mid-level exception-granting action to overcome the NBA salary cap, for achieve its goal of recruiting Splitter.

jiggy_55
07-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Somebody please give us a better translation as this doesn't make much sense.

buttsR4rebounding
07-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Splitter's camp want the Spurs to make an offer quickly
Written by Jeff Garcia **
Wednesday, 07 July 2010 07:45
According to noticiasdealva.com, Tiago Splitter's camp has urged the San Antonio Spurs to move quickly to make him an offer as his July 15 2010, deadline approaches which grants Splitter an exit from his contract with Caja Laboral:

A little over a week to expiry of the deadline (July 15) that allows you to benefit from an exit clause and terminate his contract with Baskonia for the next two seasons, officials of the Brazilian power forward and have urged Spurs to move as quickly as possible a satisfactory offer to make the dream of Barca integral still crossing the pond this summer. (translated using Google Translate)

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 08:46 AM
No worries. The Spurs will get it taken care of. They can't afford not to.

jiggy_55
07-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Working on translating the original article

Thanks buddy.

From what I understood, is we have yet to make a damn offer? Is that for real? IF thats true (BIG IF) than fuck the FO for not doing something they shoulda done a month ago!

timtonymanurich
07-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I really, TRULY don't think that the Spurs FO have dropped the ball on this MONSTROSITY of an opportunity. I'll bet that there are those that have been assigned to be 'Tiagos welcoming committee' a month ago, that's how prepared the Spurs FO is. I don't think we need to jump to conclusions as to the Spurs organization preparedness, as making an offer to Tiago at this point, the Stern '(anti) brain trust' would find some way to fine the Spurs for Tampering with our Draft rights prospect if he got wind of our talking contract/offer before Thursday.
Stern needs to step down, or die. He's taken a near flawless product, and corrupted it to the point that there's little difference between that and Pro Wrestling.