PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee close to re-signing John Salmons for five years, $39M.

ace3g
07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
daldridgetnt

Milwaukee close to re-signing John Salmons for five years, $39M. Story up soon on NBA.com.

ace3g
07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
David Aldridge daldridgetnt

Salmons link: http://bit.ly/9NR6hr

timvp
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Got damn. The Bucks front office must have had their supply laced.

JamStone
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I mean I know it's hard to get free agents to come to Milwaukee, but $71 million on Drew Gooden and John Salmons????

Giuseppe
07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I still get a kick outta the time he took the Sun's pants down, who then turned to Marcus Banks.

tee, hee.

Stump
07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I mean I know it's hard to get free agents to come to Milwaukee, but $71 million on Drew Gooden and John Salmons????
Pistons didn't do much better last year.

ace3g
07-01-2010, 12:51 PM
plus the Maggette trade, they have a lot invested in 3 players

JamStone
07-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Pistons didn't do much better last year.

Agreed. Perhaps worse.

What's your point?

Stump
07-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Agreed. Perhaps worse.

What's your point?
I'm kind of numbed to bad signings. As a Pistons fan who dealt with this garbage last year, I figured you would be too.

Findog
07-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Fuck! He's 4/5 of Joe Johnson at 1/4 the price. The Gooden signing is a waste of cap space, but this is a good bargain for Salmons.

Muser
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Fuck! He's 4/5 of Joe Johnson at 1/4 the price. The Gooden signing is a waste of cap space, but this is a good bargain for Salmons.

You migh have to simplify that for luva.

MavDynasty
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Damn, I wanted to keep Gooden

Booharv
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I still get a kick outta the time he took the Sun's pants down, who then turned to Marcus Banks.

tee, hee.

Giuseppe
07-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Salmons is all show/no go. Like Joe Johnson, Salmons will make you sorry every--single--time.

Goran Dragic
07-01-2010, 01:08 PM

tee, hee.

Don't remind me. After he did that and then the deal with Toronto unraveled, Phoenix was too dumb to swallow their pride and sign him anyway. They decided to sign a way worse player just to spite Salmons.

Creation88
07-01-2010, 01:08 PM
it's amazing that these ridiculous contracts will only lead to another FA market like this year. overpaid contracts will eventually get shifted around like the last few years for a FA market in the future.

HarlemHeat37
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Milwaukee keeps adding high-usage players, I don't understand what exactly they're trying to accomplish here..

It will be tough for this team to share the ball IMO..I wonder if they have a trade lined up..

Booharv
07-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Milwaukee keeps adding high-usage players, I don't understand what exactly they're trying to accomplish here..

It will be tough for this team to share the ball IMO..I wonder if they have a trade lined up..

Maybe they can get Kevin Pritchard from Portland for John Hammond in a sign and trade. That would be the only thing that would provide some optimism for their fan base after this retarded offseason they are having.

Findog
07-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Salmons is all show/no go. Like Joe Johnson, Salmons will make you sorry every--single--time.

He's a useful player and that's not a bad contract for a guy who can put up 20 points a night.

JamStone
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
He's a useful player and that's not a bad contract for a guy who can put up 20 points a night.

If he puts up 20 points a night and somewhat efficiently, it might be a good deal. But he's never done that consistently in his career. Only last year for about 30 games with the Bucks. He's not really a 20 point scorer. But maybe he turns out to become one and he hasn't gotten enough of a chance to show that yet.

I think part of the criticism is that he's about to turn 31 in a couple months. He'll be 35 years old making probably over $10 million in the last year of his deal. It's not as bad as Gooden's deal, but I don't think it's a good deal either.

Mr Bones
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Something obviously clicked with Salmons & Milwaukee last year, so I see Milwaukee's angle here. He might be overpaid by the time he hits age 35, but he should produce at a good rate for the price for at least 3 years. I don't get the Gooden thing at all. Salmons came in and the Bucks went something like 20-2. I can't see Gooden having any kind of big impact.

angelbelow
07-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Probably not, its the bucks.

bdictjames
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Salmons is one of the underrated players in the league.. him getting 8M/year is deserving.

Gooden, however, is a headache.

Cane
07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Salmons > Joe Johnson.

Basically the same stats in the playoffs for a fraction of the price like what was posted earlier.

JamStone
07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Salmons > Joe Johnson.

Basically the same stats in the playoffs for a fraction of the price like what was posted earlier.

I wouldn't go that far. Salmons is a solid, solid player. I'd even agree that $8 million is fair. The five years is a bit much though considering his age. It would look better if it were a 3 year deal with an option for a 4th. But then again, we don't know a lot of the financial things that go into it that GMs have to consider or what they know about what their alternatives are.

Salmons also went 7-for-31 in the games 6 and 7 of the Atlanta series. He had a couple of good games against the Hawks, and Joe Johnson getting the max certainly looks bad, but I'd still take Joe Johnson over Salmons 10 out of 10 times.

JamStone
07-01-2010, 04:27 PM
We can put to rest the notion that Hammond was the real brains behind Detroit's success.

Unfortunately, Joe Dumars and what he's done the last few years is still challenging that claim, despite the Gooden and Salmons signings Hammond just made.

Findog
07-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Salmons also went 7-for-31 in the games 6 and 7 of the Atlanta series. He had a couple of good games against the Hawks, and Joe Johnson getting the max certainly looks bad, but I'd still take Joe Johnson over Salmons 10 out of 10 times.

I'd easily take Salmons for 5/40 over Johnson for 6/124. This aint a pickup game at the YMCA.

baseline bum
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
You migh have to simplify that for luva.

:rollin

Booharv
07-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd easily take Salmons for 5/40 over Johnson for 6/124. This aint a pickup game at the YMCA.

If you look at his stats Salmons has been a significantly above average player only really in 2008-09 and the last half of 2009-10 with Milwaukee. You know he struggled most of the time to duplicate his 08-09 performance with Chicago in the early part of last year, right?

I mean it's a well reported fact. He scored only 12.7 ppg on very inefficient shooting from the field overall, and his struggles were pretty public. The Chicago media chronicled it fairly well, he was expected to score more given the departure of Ben Gordon. And he bricked it up from the field for the most part.

JamStone
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM

I'd probably agree with that. Neither is going to lead a team to a championship.

But I was talking about each player individually, not considering their salary. I take Joe Johnson every time over John Salmons.

Salmons is a pretty good player. I think he's getting a little undeserved hype because the last two seasons, he played really well at the end of those seasons for teams he was traded to.

I don't think he's a 20 point scorer. And I don't put him in the talent class of Joe Johnson. But hey, maybe he comes out during his contract and proves that he is.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2010, 05:21 PM
now the bucks should get rid of redds contract, then they are going somewhere here

Booharv
07-01-2010, 05:37 PM
tbh all the awful contracts given out this week almost make Salmons deal look good but he really struggled in Chicago last year and has a short history of being a good offensive player. Basically he was a below average offensive player until he was 29 and its rare for a player to make a sudden leap in offensive talent his seventh year in the league. Earlier in his career he got by on his defense and his passing but his defense slacked off when he started looking for his own shot more the last two years, from what I've read about him. Also his assist ratio plummeted as he looked for his own shot more. He wasn't bad on defense from what I've read but I don't know if I'd trust him to keep playing like he did in 08-09 and with Milwaukee last year. If he can keep up his production, the deal isn't bad, but he's a very special case.

I can't think of many other players who were below average offensively for like 7 years and then suddenly at 29 became above average. I mean Salmons was a defender/ballhandler with a suspect shot and then suddenly became a solid scorer.

Veterinarian
07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Salmons actually came on as a scorer when Sacramento put him in their starting lineup in 2007-08. He had a whine fest about coming off the bench and played way better as a starter than a bench player. They benched him because he was gunning pretty hard and he made some of the coaching staff or his teammates upset iirc. He pretty much moped when they made him come off the bench and his splits were way, way worse as a bench player than a starter that season. He was a scrub for the most part as an offensive player for his first 5 to 5.5 years though, that's correct.

He also stunk in Chicago for the most part last year for whatever reason.

Johnny RIngo
07-01-2010, 06:27 PM
That's actually pretty good value, especially if the Bucks have a team option on the 4th/5th years.

Chieflion
07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
So Drew fucking Gooden gets 5/32 out of the Bucks and Salmons can't even get 5/45? What is wrong with this world?