PDA

View Full Version : Reigning Black: That Just Happened

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes, Ricky Bobby. ... That, just happened.

After asking aloud to myself if the Spurs were going to be any kind of a player in free-agency earlier today, it would only seem fitting that Richard Jefferson would decide to opt out of a 15.2 million-dollar contract. Suffice it to say, I saw this coming a mile away -- and if you believe that I'd love to sell you your next... anything, really.

Whether this turns out to be a great move on Jefferson's behalf or as poor of a decision as it would seem -- opting out of a final year that would've paid him around two-times his current worth -- is neither here nor there as it pertains to a Spurs fan. So rather than get bogged down in the inconsequential, I think it'd be wise to address what this means. What exactly are the implications and ramifications for the Spurs?

How much money does this save the Spurs?

Had Jefferson exercised his option, the Spurs were looking to be in the neighborhood of $10 million over the luxury tax. Meaning they'd be paying two dollars for every one dollar over the threshold. So with him opting out, the Spurs are likely to now spend up to the threshold without exceeding it. With Jefferson's decision to opt out, Peter Holt's bottom line just improved by $25 million, should the Spurs stay under the tax -- the Spurs were $10 million over the tax, which translates to $20 million (double on every dollar over), and the Spurs would now be in line to collect $5 million in luxury-tax distribution in July, 2011 by simply being under the threshold.

Could Jefferson be re-signed? If so, is it possible that 32-40 million isn't worth more than 15.2 million?
Continue Reading >>>> (http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/)

Drachen
07-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes, Ricky Bobby. ... That, just happened.

After asking aloud to myself if the Spurs were going to be any kind of a player in free-agency earlier today, it would only seem fitting that Richard Jefferson would decide to opt out of a 15.2 million-dollar contract. Suffice it to say, I saw this coming a mile away -- and if you believe that I'd love to sell you your next... anything, really.

Whether this turns out to be a great move on Jefferson's behalf or as poor of a decision as it would seem -- opting out of a final year that would've paid him around two-times his current worth -- is neither here nor there as it pertains to a Spurs fan. So rather than get bogged down in the inconsequential, I think it'd be wise to address what this means. What exactly are the implications and ramifications for the Spurs?

Had Jefferson exercised his option, the Spurs were looking to be in the neighborhood of $10 million over the luxury tax. Meaning they'd be paying two dollars for every one dollar over the threshold. So with him opting out, the Spurs are likely to now spend up to the threshold without exceeding it. With Jefferson's decision to opt out, Peter Holt's bottom line just improved by $25 million, should the Spurs stay under the tax -- the Spurs were $10 million over the tax, which translates to $20 million (double on every dollar over), and the Spurs would now be in line to collect $5 million in luxury-tax distribution in July, 2011 by simply being under the threshold.

Could Jefferson be re-signed? If so, is it possible that 32-40 million isn't worth more than 15.2 million?
Continue Reading >>>> (http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/)

Um, they are undert the luxury tax line, not the salary cap, therefore, they won't get the disbursement.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Um, they are undert the luxury tax line, not the salary cap, therefore, they won't get the disbursement.

Teams under the luxury tax threshold get the disbursement.

Tax money:

* Teams under the tax level receive a full share (1/30) of the tax money.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q17

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Mel just doin' what Mel's supposed to do: droppin' da knowledge . . .

celldweller
07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Nice Work MEL_13!

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Nice Work MEL_13!

Yeah, nicely done Mel. That blog is lucky to have your insight; or we're lucky that you started a blog (or, I'm confused . . .).

Anyway. :toast

Bruno
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM

I somewhat disagree with these number.

First, If Spurs are projected to be $10M over the tax with RJ at $15.2M, they won't be under the tax it they re-sign him to a cheaper contract. I don't RJ agreeing to a new contract that start at $5M.

Second, the $5M figure in luxury tax redistribution is a wild assumption. It's hard to tell how much tax will be paid that soon in the offseason but is should be less than $150M. IMO, $90M, that is to a $3M share, is a more reasonable figure.

My Fault
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
A lot of interesting things. I wonder the Spurs could package RJ and Bonner or Mason in a S&T to another team to bring someone in.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 03:27 PM
4yrs./32 million for Richard...

Win, win for everyone.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
^ except the spurs

benefactor
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Nice blog, Mel. :tu

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
^ except the spurs

Which is why they are interested in bringing him back?

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Wojo: (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmBMjogNYHmntvOSd7Bb.aW8vLYF?slug=ys-freeagentbuzz070110)

Richard Jefferson doesn’t have a deal with the San Antonio Spurs and would prefer to return to the New York area to play for the Knicks or Nets, league sources told Y! Sports.

Jefferson is seeking a multiyear contract that averages in the range of $8 million-$10 million, sources said. He opted out of the $15 million final season of his contract with the Spurs on Tuesday.

Jefferson has built a good relationship with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, but doesn’t think the team’s system best fits his skills.

Maybe the New Jersey deal for an exception is a real possibility . . .

Bruno
07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Nice blog, Mel. :tu

Yep, nice blog. :toast

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Yep, nice blog. :toast

What he said. :tu

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Which is why they are interested in bringing him back?

The Bucks were interested enough in Gooden to sign him to that large contract, does that make it good?

RJ, who is getting older and is a terrible fit, being signed to a long term contract is bad for the Spurs' future.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
The Bucks were interested enough in Gooden to sign him to that large contract, does that make it good?

R.C and Popovich are the golden standard in the NBA.

Comparing them to John Hammond is ridiculous.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
R.C and Popovich are the golden standard in the NBA.

Comparing them to John Hammond is ridiculous.

No, its not. RC and Pop are great, but they have made mistakes. This would be another.

Agloco
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM

:lol

Fail. Badly.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
This would be another.

I don't agree.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Well there are certainly two schools of thought on it. I am just on the side that thinks RJ 3 & 4 years down the road is not worth anything the Spurs could get today in savings. Especially when the reality of the market is setting in and they won't be able to "steal" RJ.

dbestpro
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
It seems to me that RJ would rather take a 50% paycut than play with a no pass PG and a coach who wants him to play PF and be the goat for every loss.

my2sons
07-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Seems this article is closer than those clowns on local sportstalk radio. This article makes the most sense of any scenario, especially against those who were/are happy to see this guy walk for no compensation and no real options to replace him with.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Nick really hit the nail on the head over there at Reigning Black.

I'm starting to like that blog more and more.