PDA

View Full Version : General NBA Free Agent News Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I thought they'd have to move Johnson or someone of that ilk, but I might be remembering the 3 star scenario -- haven't checked their numbers in a while.

If they pull LeBron, then the Boozer signing is fine.

If not ... me no like.

Boozer's contract starts at 13.8M. The Bulls retain enough cap space to sign LeBron to a max contract.

yavozerb
07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Rose-anybody-LJ-Boozer-Noah, would be pretty sick..

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 04:53 PM
That player would have to be Deng. Moving Deng I believe would be enough by itself to bring in LJ at the max.

I'm sure Mel is about to enlighten us but the Bulls had the ability or were very close to having the ability to add two max contracts when this thing started. I believe Deng and others would've had to have been moved to achieve the Wade, James and Bosh triumvirate.

yavozerb
07-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm sure Mel is about to enlighten us but the Bulls had the ability or were very close to having the ability to add two max contracts when this thing started. I believe Deng and others would've had to have been moved to achieve the Wade, James and Bosh triumvirate.

I see...Not sure why they would hang onto that contract for a back up SF if LJ indeed goes Chi-town.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Boozer's contract starts at 13.8M. The Bulls retain enough cap space to sign LeBron to a max contract.

I just saw it reported that he signed for 5 years and $75M.

I think I was remembering the scenario for Chicago to get all three.

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I just saw it reported that he signed for 5 years and $75M.

I think I was remembering the scenario for Chicago to get all three.

5/75 would start at 12.9M

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM
5/75 would start at 12.9M

I just saw it posted in a conversation with Coon and he didn't correct it. Not one-hundred-percent sure of the number but it does look better for them if true.

Could Boozer have really decided to take less money, and would he have to believe it was to allow for the team to have a little more room for someone else?

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I just saw it posted in a conversation with Coon and he didn't correct it. Not one-hundred-percent sure of the number but it does look better for them if true.

Could Boozer have really decided to take less money, and would he have to believe it was to allow for the team to have a little more room for someone else?

Tomorrow, 8PM central time on ESPN.

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 05:07 PM
cleveland with jackshit
chicago with rose,boozer,noah
new york with amare
miami with wade and bosh
new jersey is out.

ill put my $ on cleveland

MannyIsGod
07-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Why?..

Because RJ suffered as the fourth option in San Antonio which is understandable to a certain degree but Ray Allen suffered in as the fourth option in a system he'd played in for years. RJ is younger and at this point in their careers the better player.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Tomorrow, 8PM central time on ESPN.

I was so pissed earlier, I hadn't realized LeBron was doing this thing tomorrow night and not tonight. :lol

yavozerb
07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Just saw on ESPN that the Bulls still have room for 1 max contract even with the boozer signing.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Because RJ suffered as the fourth option in San Antonio which is understandable to a certain degree but Ray Allen suffered in as the fourth option in a system he'd played in for years. RJ is younger and at this point in their careers the better player.

You could argue that Jefferson is more talented, but he wouldn't be a better fit on any team..

I'm not a fan of Ray Allen's, but he's still a good/very good shooter that plays good D on slower SGs..he's easy to plug into a lineup as an open shooter and running around screens..

Jefferson doesn't do anything well at this point, TBH, at least IMO..

MannyIsGod
07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I was so pissed earlier, I hadn't realized LeBron was doing this thing tomorrow night and not tonight. :lol

Yeah, the sooner this shit is over the better. At least the other signings have started to happen so we can figure out what scraps are going to be left.

tdunk21
07-07-2010, 05:16 PM
http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/july/free-agency-rumor-roundup.html

Bell getting interest from Spurs

While they are not on his short list, the Spurs are reportedly interested in Raja Bell.

In an interview for a Dallas radio station, Bell said Dallas Miami and Orlando were his top three teams.

Could the Spurs still be looking for that lockdown defender they had in Bruce Bowen? If they could sign him for the bi-annual exception, the Spurs would get better defensively and add another three-point shooter to the mix at a bargain.

MannyIsGod
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
You could argue that Jefferson is more talented, but he wouldn't be a better fit on any team..

I'm not a fan of Ray Allen's, but he's still a good/very good shooter that plays good D on slower SGs..he's easy to plug into a lineup as an open shooter and running around screens..

Jefferson doesn't do anything well at this point, TBH, at least IMO..

I think you're really underrating Jefferson after watching him play for the Spurs this last season. There was a reason everyone was so excited when this guy was coming here and he's only one year removed from that.

benefactor
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd like the Spurs to look at other options first. He doesn't even want to come here.

AFBlue
07-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Interest in Bell makes absolute sense (committed defender, good 3pt shooter), but if he doesn't want to come to SA it's a moot point.

yavozerb
07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Interest in Bell makes absolute sense (committed defender, good 3pt shooter), but if he doesn't want to come to SA it's a moot point.
That says alot that he is not interested in the spurs, cause he would probably get the most PT in SA over those other 3 teams he likes.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
DeJuan45

Lebron to the Knicks watch!!!!! Shhhhhhhhhh!
less than a minute ago via Echofon

Beast even getting in on it. :lol

AFBlue
07-07-2010, 05:26 PM
That says alot that he is not interested in the spurs, cause he would probably get the most PT in SA over those other 3 teams he likes.

I think it's mostly about the destination. Bell seems to place an emphasis on the area he's going to live in.

MannyIsGod
07-07-2010, 05:27 PM

I don't know if that is true. I think he can expect about the same amount of PT with each team.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
In all honesty, they need a legit starting forward that would warrant playing time over Hill, Parker or Ginobili to close crucial games. They need defensive size and they need that size to have range on the jumper, preferably a 3-point shot.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I would have gambled on Bell on the last trade deadline and see if he could come back from his injury for the playoffs. I'm not really sold on him at this stage. I much rather try for a Mike Miller or a Korver if possible at all.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
In all honesty, they need a legit starting forward that would warrant playing time over Hill, Parker or Ginobili to close crucial games. They need defensive size and they need that size to have range on the jumper, preferably a 3-point shot.

In other words, they need the Richard Jefferson they thought they were trading for.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
In other words, they need the Richard Jefferson they thought they were trading for.

Or probably who they hoped they could help him become in their system and under their guidance -- they had to know his defensive limitations and history as a scorer and not a shooter, he was just about the best that could be had.

It was worth it to them to give it a shot. He seemed to at least have the talent and be a decent fit in the locker room, but it was pretty apparent before he even came aboard that'd he'd be less than an ideal fit.

But that's water over the bridge, the Spurs still need what they needed last year and they're not going to get where they need to be unless fill that void, IMO.

The question is, is that guy out there and capable of being acquired?

I'd say yes to the former and I'm pessimistic about the latter.

lurker23
07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
@gswscribe

Warriors close to shipping Randolph to Knicks for Lee. Waiting on LeBron decision - http://bit.ly/c7hIu7

http://twitter.com/gswscribe

Bruno
07-07-2010, 05:59 PM
lol GSW.

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Id take Lee>Randolph. that came out of nowhere.

Cane
07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Lee for Randolph? I thought the Knicks would be more interested in Monta but I suppose they can go after Raymond Felton...

Or maybe this is some crazy 3-way deal to get another player :stirpot:

DPG21920
07-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Salary Cap at 58M per Mark Stein

DPG21920
07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
70.3M Tax Line.

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Salary Cap at 58M per Mark Stein

That's actually a slight increase from last season. Lux tax line should be around 70M. Spurs now about 18M under the tax instead of 16M. 2M is nice amount of extra breathing room for Splitter negotiations and the ability to use the LLE.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Wasn't everybody expecting it to be lower?..

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Wasn't everybody expecting it to be lower?..

Yep. Owners are gonna have a hard time claiming poverty.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2010, 06:52 PM
All I know is that I'm glad it doesn't look like Wade/LBJ/Bosh will play together in Miami, and nor does it look like LBJ/Bosh/Rose/Noah will materialise in Chicago. Those are the two teams that would irrevocably shift the balance of power in the NBA for years to come.

As an off-the-top-of-my-head-potshot exercise, I say:
(Johnson - re-signed with Hawks
Pierce - re-signed with Celtics)
LBJ - Chicago or Cleveland (depends whether loyalty+cash beats wanting to win... if he wants the latter he grabs Bosh as well, and they take the paycut necessary, but I doubt that happens)
Wade/Bosh - Miami
Amare - NY
Boozer - NJ
Lee - Houston

Got another one right, although Boozer to Chicago is a surprise. Looks like the Bulls might be the big losers out of this FA, unless they pull out LBJ at the last moment...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I would have gambled on Bell on the last trade deadline and see if he could come back from his injury for the playoffs. I'm not really sold on him at this stage. I much rather try for a Mike Miller or a Korver if possible at all.

There is more than one Mike Miller? More than one Korver?

Sorry, nothing personal, just one of my pet hates in sports writing... the 'a' is redundant and confusing unless you are referring to a kind of player. In fact, the widespread use of this phrasing came about as a shorthand of "a XXXX kind of player" eg. "a Mike Miller kind of player"

ElNono
07-07-2010, 07:19 PM
There is more than one Mike Miller? More than one Korver?

Sorry, nothing personal, just one of my pet hates in sports writing... the 'a' is redundant and confusing unless you are referring to a kind of player. In fact, the widespread use of this phrasing came about as a shorthand of "a XXXX kind of player" eg. "a Mike Miller kind of player"

Thanks for the correction. My native language is not english, so it's a constant learning process. I probably picked it up from said sports writing :lol

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the correction. My native language is not english, so it's a constant learning process. I probably picked it up from said sports writing :lol

And I've been learning from you -- my native tongue is Texan not English.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
And I've been learning from you -- my native tongue is Texan not English.

good, you don't want to learn my New Joisey accent... :lol

Spurs Brazil
07-07-2010, 08:25 PM
WojYahooNBA
Jermaine O'Neal is leaning toward signing with Boston, but still considering Denver, league sources tell Y! Decision will come soon.

Spurs Brazil
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Allen and Celts have agreed on two-year deal worth $10 million annually that includes player option in Year 2. ESPN.com link coming
5 minutes ago via TweetDeck
STEIN_LINE_HQ Ray Allen is going back to the Celtics, according to his agent Lon Babby

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
only 2 years for ray huh? and a player option. I expected something a little longer than that. looks like he might be thinking about hangin em up after next season

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 08:30 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Allen and Celts have agreed on two-year deal worth $10 million annually that includes player option in Year 2. ESPN.com link coming
5 minutes ago via TweetDeck
STEIN_LINE_HQ Ray Allen is going back to the Celtics, according to his agent Lon Babby

Sounds about right for Ray. Once Sheed drops the retirement talk, Celts will be bringing everyone back.

EricB
07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Ray has just enough left for two seasons.

Makes sense.

AFBlue
07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Does anyone question $10M/yr for Allen? He had one good game in the finals, but he was mostly a dog for them. He's old and I don't see how he gets any offers above MLE if he starts looking...certainly not almost double it. I get it that the Celtics can absorb lux tax because of their market, but this just jumped out at me as another crazy contract.

Am I nuts?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Does anyone question $10M/yr for Allen? He had one good game in the finals, but he was mostly a dog for them. He's old and I don't see how he gets any offers above MLE if he starts looking...certainly not almost double it. I get it that the Celtics can absorb lux tax because of their market, but this just jumped out at me as another crazy contract.

Am I nuts?

I was thinking the same thing. Only players who have spent their whole careers with that team should a contract like that when he's as shitty as Ray Allen was in the playoffs. $10M for both years makes more sense to me.

MannyIsGod
07-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Holy shit I read that as 10m for 2 years not 10m annually. Major overpay there. I guess I was wrong about no one overpaying for Allen. Jesus.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Is it more than he's worth at this stage? Yes.

Is it crazy to think someone might offer him a similar offer for two or three year? Probably not.

I just think this is a case of locking up your own -- even if it costs you a little more -- because he means more to your team than he would anyone else and losing him when they're in such a win-now mode would hurt them more than a few million extra they had to dish out.

Their Big 3 got them a championship and I think they -- a lot like the Spurs --feel like they owe it to them and themselves to see if they can grab one more before it's all said and done -- Spurs fans should know now just how hard it is to replace integral parts to a championship team. It's not solely about on-court ability.

I think it was probably the right move in the end for them.

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2010, 11:22 PM
$10M for both years makes more sense to me.

Holy shit I read that as 10m for 2 years not 10m annually. Major overpay there. I guess I was wrong about no one overpaying for Allen. Jesus.

I completely agree with the both of you. In fact, I made the mistake in the title of the thread started in the NBA forum stating that it was 2 yr/$10M and thinking that it sounded reasonable. I had to go back and correct it after someone pointed out that it was actually $10M/yr. I think that Boston overpaid, but I think they are hoping that they can make one last run and are "rewarding" Allen for helping them win a Championship (just as BlackJack points out in the post above).

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Am I nuts?

It's probably a little high, but like you said, Boston can afford it. Two years from now their window is probably closed so if overpaying Allen for 2 years keeps him around, it's not all that bad of a thing.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Ray is an integral part of their core that won them a ship and just a month ago helped them get back to the Finals. I'm sure they feel they can have another run so making sure you keep you core intact has to be a priority. Also, you do normally pay more for short contracts like that one.

timvp
I think that's a solid contract for Allen. His shooting is erratic but teams respect his shot. More importantly, he has suddenly become a pretty damn good defender ... probably because he didn't play defense his whole career until joining the Celtics :lol

Allen > Ginobili defensively all of a sudden.

AFBlue
Ken Berger of CBSSports reports the Raps are trying to accommodate a sign-and-trade request that would give Bosh the extra year and net mostly draft picks for Toronto. Looks like no Beasley or Chalmers involved.

Progress on Bosh sign-and-trade
Posted on: July 7, 2010 10:05 pmScore: 161Sign-up to rate:Sign-up to rate: Sign-up to rate: The Raptors and Heat are "progressing" toward a sign-and-trade arrangement to facilitate Chris Bosh's desire to join Dwyane Wade in Miami, a person with knowledge of the talks told CBSSports.com Wednesday night.

The most likely scenario, according to the source, would send draft picks and massive trade exception to Toronto -- but not Michael Beasley. The former No. 2 pick, whom the Heat want to trade to create more cap space for a third max signing as they try to lure LeBron James, has been included in some of the potential deals discussed. But Toronto has been decidedly cold on the notion of taking Beasley in a trade for Bosh.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/23069546?source=rss_blogs_NBA

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 11:33 PM
If you watched that interview today, it looked like Wade had Bosh over a barrel and was telling him what he was going to do and how this was all going to play out (i.e. taking less money and making sure he got him to say it on camera).

SVG was definitely on to something with his lapdog comment of Bosh. :lol

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Ken Berger of CBSSports reports the Raps are trying to accommodate a sign-and-trade request that would give Bosh the extra year and net mostly draft picks for Toronto. Looks like no Beasley or Chalmers involved.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/23069546?source=rss_blogs_NBA

David Aldridge stated this also:

http://twitter.com/daldridgetnt

just so everyone's clear: if there's a s/t with Miami/ Toronto 4 Bosh, it'll be for picks, cash & trade exception, not players.

AFBlue
07-07-2010, 11:38 PM
The other potential Boston signing of Jermaine O'Neal for two years at MLE would be a good deal for them. With Perkins out initially and Wallace likely to retire, getting a capable F/C in O'Neal for a reasonable price makes a lot of sense.

Stump
07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
RealGM claiming Lebron is picking the Heat

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2010, 11:49 PM
i hope the bulls signin of boozer is like the signin of ben wallace a few years ago, set them back a few more years :D:D

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2010, 11:49 PM

RealGM also predicts that the Spurs will sign G Anthony Morrow and ...

wait for it....

G Roger Mason Jr.

:wow

AFBlue
07-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Technically it's Alan Hahn of Newsday...here's the tweet:

http://twitter.com/alanhahn

Multiple sources are telling Newsday that LeBron James has decided to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami. The new Big Three is here.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Not particularly great news . . .

Nets assess options (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ah6Y2TngydX.QaQQobEdzT28vLYF?slug=ys-freeagentbuzz070710)

After losing out on Carlos Boozer(notes) to the Chicago Bulls, the New Jersey Nets have targeted three players in discussions: Tyrus Thomas(notes), Travis Outlaw(notes) and Kyle Korver(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Nets have $30 million in cap space, but aren’t under great pressure to use it all. They’re holding out a faint hope for LeBron James(notes), but with no running mate in New Jersey, James is destined to sign with Cleveland, Miami or New York.

New Jersey made an offer for $75 million over five years for Boozer, but Boozer’s agent Rob Pelinka went back to the Bulls and received an $80 million deal.

The Nets have a strong interest in Knicks forward David Lee(notes), but they’re still waiting for the sign-and-trade market to shake down for him.

Thomas is a restricted free agent that the Nets have long been intrigued with, and a frontloaded offer sheet could put him out of reach of the Bobcats. The Nets could make offers quickly for Korver and Outlaw, who are unrestricted free agents, source say.

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I sure hope Lebron doesn't go to Miami.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 11:55 PM
It's hard to see why there'd really be interest in RJ with the Nets but there apparently is.

AFBlue
07-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Personally with the LeBron-to-Miami rumor, I'll believe it when I see it (or hear about it afterwards because I refuse to buy into the four-letter networks hype machine broadcast). I understand the appeal, but I would be surprised if James' ego lets him go to Wade's town and be part of a three-headed monster (albeit the biggest head), rather than THE guy at one of the other spots.

ducks
07-07-2010, 11:56 PM
I think that's a solid contract for Allen. His shooting is erratic but teams respect his shot. More importantly, he has suddenly become a pretty damn good defender ... probably because he didn't play defense his whole career until joining the Celtics :lol

Allen > Ginobili defensively all of a sudden.

allen also can play more minutes then manu

AFBlue
07-07-2010, 11:58 PM
It's hard to see why there'd really be interest in RJ with the Nets but there apparently is.

Didn't see him mentioned in the article you posted...only saw Outlaw and Korver.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 11:59 PM

There's a part of me that could see LeBron signing a three-year deal with Miami figuring he'd win a title to help his brand and then venture out elsewhere once that monkey's off his back.

I wouldn't buy into that rationale -- seems a pretty weak move and a brand-diminisher to me -- but I wouldn't put it past him.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Didn't see him mentioned in the article you posted...only saw Outlaw and Korver.

That's why I didn't find the article to be "particularly great news".

The RJ interest was confirmed by Don Harris and one or two others prior. It's apparently there but news like this doesn't bode all that well if they pick up a 3.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Personally, I'll believe it when I see it (or hear about it afterwards because I refuse to buy into the four-letter networks hype machine broadcast). I understand the appeal, but I would be surprised if James' ego lets him go to Wade's town and be part of a three-headed monster (albeit the biggest head), rather than THE guy at one of the other spots.

This is the one thing that I hear over and over - and I can't disagree with more. LeBron may LOVE the spotlight, but he's never come off as a "me-first" type of player that alienates himself from his teammates (at least IMHO). He is a very unselfish player who has always done a great job of getting his teammates more involved in the game - and I don't think that he would have a problem joining forces with Wade and Bosh.

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 12:07 AM
This is the one thing that I hear over and over - and I can't disagree with more. LeBron may LOVE the spotlight, but he's never come off as a "me-first" type of player that alienates himself from his teammates (at least IMHO). He is a very unselfish player who has always done a great job of getting his teammates more involved in the game - and I don't think that he would have a problem joining forces with Wade and Bosh.

It doesn't have to do with his on-court play or off-court relationships with other players...it has to do with LeBron selling himself as a "brand". LeBron makes the most money as THE franchise guy in a major market. From a marketing standpoint, this makes no sense.

I also think that there is a potential issue with who handles the ball in crunchtime. Again, this is (or was) Wade's team.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
It doesn't have to do with his on-court play or off-court relationships with other players...it has to do with LeBron selling himself as a "brand". LeBron makes the most money as THE franchise guy in a major market. From a marketing standpoint, this makes no sense.

I also think that there is a potential issue with who handles the ball in crunchtime. Again, this is (or was) Wade's team.

You may be right, but I think LeBron is smart enough to realize that his "brand" will be more valuable with rings on his fingers and this is the best shot for him to do that. Wade is a GREAT player, but there is no doubt that Miami would become LeBron's team if he goes there and while Miami is not NY or L.A., it is still a decent market to help James build what he hopes.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:15 AM
RicBucher

Never tweeted LeBron was in Mia. A source said he was. Passed it on to the mothership. Made a 2nd call, told he was in Akron. Killed report.
5 minutes ago via web

RicBucher
But the insanity is rising: the 1 source came at me hard that LBJ to Mia is done. Only way I go w/one source on that is if it's LBJ/Mav.

EricB
07-08-2010, 12:25 AM
This would not be good for the game at all....

EricB
07-08-2010, 12:26 AM
@mhaubs (http://twitter.com/mhaubs) Sources tell me Bron currently dining w/Amare in NY, playing softball in Akron, mtg w/Riles in Mia & visiting LLohan in LA jail

:lmao

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I doubt James could get in to see LL . . . :downspin:

silverblk mystix
07-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Lebron has made himself into a big target now.

He will be crucified next season no matter where he ends up---and if he fails to get the ring in 2010-11 he will never,ever be respected.

If he is smart he will realize that these are his choices;

a) Stay in Cleveland and remain beloved by his hometown temporarily---temporarily because he will NEVER win a title with that team....so he will be loved until he continues to fail---then he will be crucified because of all of this drama he created...

...in other words....be loved but remain a LOSER.

b)Sign with Chicago or Miami and be crucified for stabbing Cleveland in the heart...but END UP...being beloved and praised because eventually cleveland will get over it and still love him when he is a champion---and respected by everyone else because he made a tough, heartwrenching choice ---but did it to win a title...

c) (WORST) sign with NY, NJ or LAC and be crucified for betraying cleveland and STILL remaining a LOSER...

Chieflion
07-08-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't think you guys understand. LeBron is the market. Wherever he goes, the media, the brand, the market, everything will follow. As of right now, the NBA practically revolves around him. It doesn't really matter where he goes.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Chris_Broussard
Sources with knowledge of the situation indeed saying LeBron will join Wade and Bosh in Miami, barring a late change of heart

Vic Petro
07-08-2010, 12:45 AM
You may be right, but I think LeBron is smart enough to realize that his "brand" will be more valuable with rings on his fingers and this is the best shot for him to do that. Wade is a GREAT player, but there is no doubt that Miami would become LeBron's team if he goes there and while Miami is not NY or L.A., it is still a decent market to help James build what he hopes.

This may be semantics but I think it's less about brand and more about legacy. There is most certainly a doubt that Miami would become LeBron's team imo. In fact one could argue history would say that LeBron joined Wade's team to win titles.

It's the old Kobe argument. Kobe has 5 rings, but they don't even approach Jordan's 6 rings, because only 2 of Kobe's were as lead banana. The first 3 he was second banana to Shaq. It's not quite the same as Jordan's 6 or even Duncan's 4.

I think that stuff is important to LeBron. He knows that if he can put a losing franchise like Cleveland on his back...the Indians have basically sucked forever, the Cavs are the Cavs, the Browns left and then came back and stink. If he can win 3+ rings in that city, my goodness, I don't think he could top that. He'd be on the Mt Rushmore of Basketball.

The Brooklyn franchise is appealing for the same reason imo, though to a lesser degree because it's not home.

A one hour special to announce a FA decision is extraordinarily selfish behavior. I really have a hard time believing he's going to follow Bosh to Wade's team in the name of winning titles. The subtext would be that he needs their help, and you don't get on Mt Rushmore that way.

If LeBron wants to be the best ever, and I'm sure he thinks he can, he should try to build a dynasty in Cleveland.

Vic Petro
07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
I also think a lot of the Mia and NYK stuff is leaked rumors to increase ratings. I'd really be surprised if he uses a 1 hour special to rip the heart out of Cleveland.

timvp
07-08-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure where I want LeBron to land. NJ would be cool because of the Avery vs. LeBron dynamic. Avery wouldn't put up with his pregame antics and it'd be interesting to see who would win out in that battle. The unintentional comedy would be off the charts.

I wouldn't be upset with LeBron to NY. First of all, it'd screw Rocket fan and screwing Rocket fan is always a good thing. Secondly, LeBron and Amare would be good ... but not really championship good. Maybe in a couple years but not right away.

I don't want to see LeBron in Miami or Chicago. Those teams could get too good too fast.

LeBron in Cleveland? Meh, that'd be fine. Not a notable championship threat next season.

I'm actually excited to see that little drama queen announcement show :hungry:

EricB
07-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Yeah Lebron to New York would only be annoying by hype, but the team would lack substance big team outside of Gallinari Stoudamire and Lebron.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Getting dunked on is bad enough in today's NBA, having be done by James and/or Amar'e in a Knick uniform?

That thing will be burned into your corneas and psyche permanently within 24-hours . . .

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
ShamSports

It simply cannot be that both of those things are true. If you think Derrick Rose is taking your limelight, what is Wade going to do?

ShamSports
I'm find it hard to believe both a) that LeBron was deterred by the fact Rose would take last shots in Chicago, b) that he'll sign in Miami.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2010, 01:39 AM
i hope james goes to the knicks or nets...at leasts that gives the eastern conference another contending team for the other eastern teams, instead of having one dominant team..

bulls - rose, boozer, noah
knicks - amare, lebron?
nets - lebron away from contending
celtics - rondo, big 3
magic
heat - wade, rapul

i didnt list the hawks cause JJ will lead them to nowhere..

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:41 AM
ShamSports
By signing DeMarcus Cousins, the Kings no longer have enough cap room for LeBron James.
7 minutes ago via web

Scratch one off the list. :downspin:

Kori Ellis
07-08-2010, 01:48 AM
http://twitter.com/iamdiddy/status/18015634412 - now it's LeBron to the Knicks :)

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Of course it's Diddy. ... Of course it is -- who else would break it? :lol

Chieflion
07-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Of course it's Diddy. ... Of course it is -- who else would break it? :lol

Why isn't he crazy enough to say Clippers?

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:02 AM
Now he just said a JK goin to Miami.

Asswhipe...

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Sham's latest (http://blog.shamsports.com/2010/07/amount-of-cap-room-teams-will-actually.html) on the cap room for all of the free-agent players

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Now he just said a JK goin to Miami.

Asswhipe...

His "second home Lol"

He ain't no Skee-Lo, that dude had credibility . . .

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:18 AM
whats a skee-lo?

that like a skee ball?

Kidding....

No really whats a skeelo?

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 02:23 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6XCdYuCsT6w/SNgHby2IOrI/AAAAAAAAAIw/dep5M0V_dM4/s400/Skee-Lo+-+I+Wish+-+Front.jpg

I wish I was a little bit taller, y'all

I wish I was a baller.

RECOGNIZE, SON!!! :downspin:

07-08-2010, 02:30 AM
since the nets struck out on securing another big name FA, i think it's basically down to miami, knicks, or the bulls. cleveland had shot themselves in the foot a long time ago and the knicks still have eddy curry's contract eating up a ton of cap space. the bulls would be the best choice to win next season. they have gotten rid of the dead weight and added boozer. they could always trade deng for other pieces if needed since he and lebron plays the same position. the heat might just completely suck next year due to just minimum players but will become unstoppable as years go on.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Why isn't he crazy enough to say Clippers?

no shit man, they got a good squad and just a lebron away from being a contender, actually most teams are a lebron away from being contenders...but that clippers team has alot of the pieces....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2010, 02:40 AM

It's all good. Glad to help. Your English is excellent overall.

This would not be good for the game at all....

I'm not sure where I want LeBron to land. NJ would be cool because of the Avery vs. LeBron dynamic. Avery wouldn't put up with his pregame antics and it'd be interesting to see who would win out in that battle. The unintentional comedy would be off the charts.

I wouldn't be upset with LeBron to NY. First of all, it'd screw Rocket fan and screwing Rocket fan is always a good thing. Secondly, LeBron and Amare would be good ... but not really championship good. Maybe in a couple years but not right away.

I don't want to see LeBron in Miami or Chicago. Those teams could get too good too fast.

LeBron in Cleveland? Meh, that'd be fine. Not a notable championship threat next season.

I'm actually excited to see that little drama queen announcement show :hungry:

He'd immediately make a power out of Chicago (Rose, Deng, LBJ, Boozer, Noah :wow: ), the way NYK might develop is intriguing, and I will be happy if he stays with Cleveland (keeps the East pretty balanced).

LBJ to Miami would be terrible for the NBA I think - too much power concentrated in too few teams. The true power in the NBA continues to agglomerate in few cities, and because of the ineptitude of many of the GMs of the smaller teams (yes, you, David Kahn!... and about 10 other guys), the trend is only getting stronger. Putting LBJ and Wade in the same team robs another team of one of the best 5 players in the league (ie LBJ in Cleveland, Chicago, NY and how that would utterly transform their teams). I'm not a fan.

Also, the bastard will vastly reduce my chance at a DL I repeat championship if he goes to Miami! I have Wade and LBJ, and there's no way their stats hold up if they play together. :(

PS LJ, when do I get my trophy? BTW, I have lots of ideas for the DLs next year and would like to help out with running them if you need help. Will email you closer to the start of the season. :)

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:43 AM
KAAAHHHHHNNNN

:lol

Sorry, everytime I see him brought up I hear William Shatner now...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2010, 02:44 AM
KAAAHHHHHNNNN

Sorry, everytime I see him brought up I hear William Shatner now...

Indeed.

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:47 AM
That could be the T Wolf fans now...

KAAHHHHNNN

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 02:54 AM
That could be the T Wolf fans now...

KAAHHHHNNN

The Impossible Dream, B. ... The Impossible Dream. :smokin

EricB
07-08-2010, 03:00 AM
The Impossible Dream, B. ... The Impossible Dream. :smokin

Is this dream anything like the happy gilmore ones?

Midget in a tutu gonna come struttin by any minute now?

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Is this dream anything like the happy gilmore ones?

Midget in a tutu gonna come struttin by any minute now?

Well there is the hot chick in lingerie serving me beer and granny rollin' in the dough but, yeah, there's definitely some frolicking midgets to be found.

The dude was supposedly trying to sign Ridnour! He's stockpiling point-guards like Ahmadinejad stockpiles Member's Only jackets!

Surely there isn't any room for Webster!

KAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHNNN!!! :downspin:

EricB
07-08-2010, 03:07 AM
:lol @ ahmadinejad

BTW props on the spelling...

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 03:09 AM
LeBron to join Wade and Bosh in Miami? (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bulls-confidential/2010/07/lebron-to-join-wade-and-bosh-in-miami.html)
Mark Deeks

The prevalent late night rumour; before spending 50 minutes talking about himself, LeBron James will announce on his big self-congratulatory announcement show tomorrow that he will sign with the Miami Heat, joining the recently committed Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh as possibly the best trio in NBA history.

Right.

It's definitely one of two things. It's either:

a) true, or
b) false.

(Obviously.)

If it's false, its presumably a WWE-style story angle at the last minute to drum up tension, drama, and - perhaps most importantly - interest. Since we are talking about the world's biggest attention whore here, a man who decides his free agency decision is worthy of an hour long documentary when no one else seems to need one, this is entirely possible. One subscriber to that theory is J.A. Adande. Another one is me.

Then again, it might also be true. Four teams currently have enough cap room to sign LeBron to the maximum outright, and Miami are not one of them; however, they're close enough to do it. A trade of Michael Beasley gets it done, and if LeBron commits to Miami, then Cleveland's future basically does not exist. At that point, them having Michael Beasley is better than them not having Michael Beasley,

If it is true, it's game over. Not just this summer, but for the foreseeable future.

Chieflion
07-08-2010, 03:12 AM
LOL WWE style. BRHornet45 wrote that article or what?

WWE style: All owners and GMs of the final 6 teams are invited. LeBron goes to the show with a Cavs jersey on, shakes Dan Gilbert's hand and prepares to sign the contract. He then flips over the table, throw the contract back in Gilbert's face, gives him a choke slam and then in superman fashion, rips off his Cavs jersey and reveals a Heat jersey underneath, with the Heat contract already signed.

Cane
07-08-2010, 03:16 AM
If Lebron James really wants to turn the NBA world upside down, he'd join Miami for peanuts so they can get some high quality depth and rule the NBA for years :downspin:

EricB
07-08-2010, 03:19 AM
LOL WWE style. BRHornet45 wrote that article or what?

WWE style: All owners and GMs of the final 6 teams are invited. LeBron goes to the show with a Cavs jersey on, shakes Dan Gilbert's hand and prepares to sign the contract. He then flips over the table, throw the contract back in Gilbert's face, gives him a choke slam and then in superman fashion, rips off his Cavs jersey and reveals a Heat jersey underneath, with the Heat contract already signed.

While Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade stomp on Gilbert then Lebron spray paints HEAT across his bare chest in black paint....

EricB
07-08-2010, 03:19 AM
If Lebron James really wants to turn the NBA world upside down, he'd join Miami for peanuts so they can get some high quality depth and rule the NBA for years :downspin:

If he wants to turn it upside down he would join the Clippers.

07-08-2010, 03:27 AM
clippers will be good as soon as they get rid of baron davis and get a real point guard. although, they'll have to get good before sterling trades griffin away for cash.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I don't know why people think having a dominant NBA franchise in Miami would be bad for the game. Some people enjoy parity (not like we have parity now anyway) but really the best times for a sport come with dominant franchises. It would be incredible for the game for Miami to be so good.

There would be a hell of a lot of pressure.

Spurminator
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
If this were happening for NY or Los Angeles there would be no one claiming it's bad for the NBA.

I'm still not sold he's going to Miami though.

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
IMO, the Nets make the most sense. They were the worst team in basketball record-wise last year, but they have some nice pieces (Harris, Lee, Williams, Lopez, Favors), and any improvement (i.e. playoffs in first year) would absolutely be linked to their new franchise cornerstone.

Does anyone know if they can add another player like D. Lee if they sign LeBron as well?

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Outlaw to Nets...pretty much kills any chance for LeBron or RJ to go there.

Here's the article...

Forward Travis Outlaw has agreed to a five-year, $35 million deal with the Nets, his agent, Bill Duffy, told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

The 25-year-old Outlaw averaged 8.7 points and 3.6 rebounds in 23 games for the Los Angeles Clippers after being acquired as part of a trade that sent Marcus Camby to the Portland Trail Blazers. In 11 games for Portland last season, Outlaw averaged 9.9 points and 3.5 rebounds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5363686

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Also looks like the Raptors are still spending...this time it's Kleiza.

The Toronto Raptors have signed Denver Nuggets restricted free-agent forward Linas Kleiza(notes) to a four-year, $20 million offer sheet, a league source tells Yahoo! Sports.

If the Nuggets don’t match the deal over the next seven days, the Lithuanian – who played with them from 2005-09 – will be a Raptor. Kleiza played for Greece’s Olympiacos last season and terminated his contract on Wednesday.

– Marc J. Spears, 9:25 a.m. ET, July 8

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An009nlKOTH.kQQmkArDZxQ5nYcB?slug=ys-freeagentbuzz070810

dbestpro
07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Could be a nice catch for NJ. If Outlaw is allowed to become a primary option his game could really blossom.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 10:41 AM
:lmao Colangelo...

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 10:44 AM
:lmao Colangelo...

Compared to their other signings, this one is a relative bargain. Kleiza is a "stretch 4" with some nice offensive skill. He's never going to be dominant, but a $5M/yr deal in this market is about right for role players.

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Tweet from Brian Windhorst of Cleveland Plain Dealer...

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider/status/18042795465

Sources: Cavs are in trade talks with Minnesota Timberwolves for PG Jonny Flynn. Flynn is represented by #LeBron's agent & LRMR.

This one honestly makes no sense to me, unless another guard or two are coming back in the trade (D. West's non-guaranteed deal?). They already have Mo Williams, Gibson, Telfair and West...what would they want with Flynn? And is this a straight salary dump by Minnesota if it goes through...barely over a year after they drafted this guy in the top 10? Talk about selling low.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
If Lebron leaves, Cleveland is in full rebuild mode and they'll probably be looking to dump guys with expensive or long term contracts like Williams and Gibson.

ElNono
07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Tweet from Brian Windhorst of Cleveland Plain Dealer...

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider/status/18042795465

This one honestly makes no sense to me, unless another guard or two are coming back in the trade (D. West's non-guaranteed deal?). They already have Mo Williams, Gibson, Telfair and West...what would they want with Flynn? And is this a straight salary dump by Minnesota if it goes through...barely over a year after they drafted this guy in the top 10? Talk about selling low.

Might be a precondition for Lebron resigning with Cleveland?

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Not any news on LeBron necessarily, but a good theory by JA Adande from his twitter account...

Part of me thinks LeBron's camp is just floating this Miami thing to gauge the reaction. And what I've seen has not been positive.

http://twitter.com/jadande

I could definitely see this scenario if James is still on the fence about leaving Cleveland. The more I hear Miami is the destination from "sources" (none of which by the way have been in James' inner circle), the more I think it's Cleveland.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't think it's to gauge reaction. This whole thing has been one big drama fest from the resident Drama Queen (LeBron). This reads more like leaking one story only to go another way and "surprise" everyone with his announcement tonight.

At this point, I think Miami is really out of it.

Spurminator
07-08-2010, 11:42 AM
LeBron Plans Weekend Party in South Beach (http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic/news/lebron-james-plans-weekend-party-in-south-beach-201087)

tdunk21
07-08-2010, 12:01 PM
nets sign kyle korver.....

The Nets announced Thursday afternoon that they have agreed in principle to a contract with forward Travis Outlaw. The deal is reportedly worth $35 million over five years, fully guaranteed and provides Outlaw a flat $7 million a year.

Meanwhile, "independent sources" tell Fred Kerber that Kyle Korver will sign with the Nets, too. Al Iannazzone adds the Nets could also offer a contract to Tyrus Thomas as early as Thursday afternoon. The Bobcats would have seven days to match any Nets' offer. Outlaw is 25, Korver 29 and Thomas 23.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/7/8/1558782/nets-agree-to-deal-with-travis

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Jermaine O'Neal to the Celtics.

ElNono
07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
S&T with the Nets, Korver for RJ?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2010, 12:05 PM

:tu :tu :tu

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Nets definitely moving on from the LeBron sweepstakes.

benefactor
07-08-2010, 12:10 PM
:hungry:

timvp
07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Can't do a sign-and-trade if you sign with a different team . . .

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Can't do a sign-and-trade if you sign with a different team . . .

Yeah, I was wondering how, or if, that would even work.

Besides, if I had to choose between RJ or Korver for the same money (assume it's above MLE), I'm probably choosing RJ...sad as that is.

objective
07-08-2010, 12:21 PM
do people still hold out hope that Lebron won't sign with Miami?

Not me.

Because Lebron's a beta. Might as well change his name to LeBeta. He doesn't want the responsibility of being top dog, he doesn't want a team or a city on his shoulders, he just wants money and easy rings.

That's why he's going to Wade's team and Wade's city, so he can be the Harper to Wade and Bosh's Jordan and Pippen. He doesn't want any heavy lifting or hard work, he'll just be Wade's ride-a-long.

EricB
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Looks like it's Knicks or bust for jefferson...

tdunk21
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
ringless texas team signs brendan haywood to 6yr 55mil

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-haywoodmavericks070810

objective
07-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I wonder how much of Haywood's deal is guaranteed, because 9 per year for a guy who's already 30 seems a bit much for that long a deal.

Spurminator
07-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Can Miami pull off Beasley trade?
By Chad Ford and Marc Stein

The surest way to know that LeBron James-to-Miami is a done deal before LeBron’s official announcement?

If Miami trades away Michael Beasley to create even more salary-cap space before the show starts.

As of noon Thursday, Miami did not have a trade taker for Beasley, after numerous sources said that the Heat – as they’ve been doing for weeks – continued to shop 2008’s No. 2 overall pick with vigor for much of Wednesday.

Yet sources say that a four-team trade scenario was hatched on the eve of LeBron’s hour-long “Decision” special on ESPN that includes Charlotte and Houston and would enable the Raptors to bring them back an asset or two in the wake of Chris Bosh’s departure but also avoid taking back Beasley. Which is believed to be the only sort of sign-and-trade that Toronto would consider.

The proposed deal, sources said, would send Beasley and Rockets forward Jared Jeffries to Charlotte, land Bobcats center Tyson Chandler in Houston and create sufficient cap space for Heat president Pat Riley to offer max-contract money to Wade, Bosh and James.

The Heat and Raptors engaged in discussions for several hours after Bosh and Dwyane Wade announced that they committing to Miami in a package about the various sign-and-trade options. Discussions were serious enough Wednesday night, according to two sources, that Heat officials told Beasley to start preparing to relocate.

One source with knowledge of Toronto’s thinking, however, insists that the four-team trade – which would require Houston to send at least $3.1 million in salary to the Raptors -- is “not happening.” Toronto continues to convey the message that it is a reluctant partner in any deal that makes Bosh’s departure more lucrative.

If the Raptors ultimately consent to a sign-and-trade, Bosh would be able to sign a six-year max deal with the Heat worth nearly $130 million and LeBron and D-Wade would score max deals, too. Toronto, meanwhile, would come away with a very big trade exception and presumably at least one first-round pick … possibly its 2011 first-rounder that was previously dealt to Miami.

But Miami’s lack of options -- with only Beasley and Mario Chalmers officially on the roster on Decision Day – and concerns about Beasley’s off-the-court issues are undeniable stumbling blocks when it comes to any deal.

Such is Miami’s fortune these days, though, that it can offer near-maxes to the three Team USA buddies even without finding a new home for Beasley. The Heat found that out Wednesday night, along with the rest of a grumbling league, when the NBA announced that the salary cap next season will be nearly $2 million higher than anticipated: $58 million as opposed to $56.1 million.

The latest estimates say that James, Wade and Bosh could all sign deals with a first-year salary just under $1 million less than the max if the Heat make no more moves before James’ makes his intentions official. Miami would have to fill out the rest of its roster with minimum-salary players, but the trio’s financial sacrifice would have been more unrealistic if the cap figure didn’t rise. Factor in the lack of state income tax in Florida and the sacrifice shrinks further.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17823/can-miami-pull-off-beasley-trade

objective
07-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Jermaine O'Neal to the Celtics, according to Wojo

objective
07-08-2010, 12:29 PM
There's coming in now pretty heavy. Outlaw, Korver, O'Neal, etc.

How long until RJ gets his bloated, regrettable contract?

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Looks like it's Knicks or bust for jefferson...

How so? Knicks have Chandler and Gallinari at SF and a gaping hole at PG. My guess is they go hard after Felton if they lose out on LeBron.

Wizards and Clippers both have holes at the SF spot and can pay above MLE...they seem like more likely destinations if he were to leave SA.

yavozerb
07-08-2010, 12:37 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158146

This would be great news for the spurs cause RJ should be in the same ballpark salary wise..

Death In June
07-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I have this sinking feeling that signing splitter will be the only FA move made for the spurs, and they'l be stuck with holes at SF, and C/SF/SG in the second unit. They've never been known to do great FA work. All their praise has been deserved through the draft. In fact, they've shat the bed in FA for the last ten years.

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I have this sinking feeling that signing splitter will be the only FA move made for the spurs, and they'l be stuck with holes at SF, and C/SF/SG in the second unit. They've never been known to do great FA work. All their praise has been deserved through the draft. In fact, they've shat the bed in FA for the last ten years.

Don't think it's much of our FO shitting the bed in FA but just goes to show that's San Antonio is a pretty hard place to recruit up and coming players. We have had good pickups like horry, rasho, Barry, finley but they were all veterans by that time who just wanted to win

yavozerb
07-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Hey guys, I was told this morning from my highest source possible that LeBron is going to come to San Antonio!

As long as its your highest source I feel good about this then..I am so ready for this process to finish and we can start talking about the summer league.

yavozerb
07-08-2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.hoopsdaily.com/content/2010-free-agent-signing-tracker

nbadraft.com upated FA signings..

EricB
07-08-2010, 01:03 PM
6 years 55 for Haywood? Wow....

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 01:06 PM

And the overpaying keeps on coming. How serious are these owners about drastically reducing terms of player salaries? Based on the outlandish spending this off-season, it doesn't seem like they give a crap at all.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm just looking forward to the owners making their inevitable "Sprewell" comment to the Players Association.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
brian cardinal to the spurs for the full mle.. link coming

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
What, is that Bloods sarcasm?

clubalien
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
As long as its your highest source I feel good about this then..I am so ready for this process to finish and we can start talking about the summer league.

does anyone know if it involved shipping tony parker out.

I would trade everyone on the team besides manu. but won't do it if we lose manu.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Typcial maverick offseason. Talk a big game about going after the top free agents only to end up overpaying for a 2nd or 3rd tier free agent.

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
brian cardinal to the spurs for the full mle.. link coming

Dude, this is not 'nam...there are rules.

Re: blue font = sarcasm

Cane
07-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Source told FOXSports.com Miami Heat have offered Mike Miller 5-year deal worth 27-30 million with deadline tonight.

Unless thats a lowball offer, maybe that price/years is something we can expect for Richard Jefferson wherever he might end up.

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Unless thats a lowball offer, maybe that price/years is something we can expect for Richard Jefferson wherever he might end up.

RJ on a 5yr deal would be gawd awful, I don't care if it is slightly discounted from his market value.

Cane
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
RJ on a 5yr deal would be gawd awful, I don't care if it is slightly discounted from his market value.

Yea I wonder if the Heat would include clauses or some shit that would be beneficial to the team that signs a 30 year old player to a 5 year contract like Miller/RJ. I bet Cuban did with Haywood since they try to have at least some flexibility down the road.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 01:33 PM

This is so short sighted. The Spurs by and large have never had a ton of money to work with come free agency. They've largely been relegated to using their LLE and MLE to improve the squad.

And you can't say re-signing Tim, Tony, and Manu in the past were anything along the lines of 'shatting the bed'.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
5yrs/$27-$30 for Miller is definitely asking him to take a "you get to play with Wade & Bosh (& Lebron?)" discount.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Unless Wade, Bosh, etc. are going to sign on for less than the max, Miami doesn't have enough money for adding say LeBron and Miller.

DPG21920
07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
It does not bode well if the Nets offered Outlaw and Korver contrcts. Means no intrest in RJ at all.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 02:58 PM
teamziller
RT @gswscribe David Lee has agreed to the deal with the Warriors, gets $13 million a year
2 minutes ago via web

But the owners have to feeds their families . . . :(

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
new jersey gets stuck with outlaw this free agency lol. they got fuuuuucked.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 03:09 PM
wojyahoonba

rt @fisolanydn: Now we now why donnie thanked isiah thomas at press conference. Knicks sent zeke to akron to make one last pitch for lebron
half a minute ago via ubertwitter

lol

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 03:13 PM
:wtf

It means "laugh out loud".

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Lebron is making my head spin. I genuinely have no idea where he is going to go. I have trouble buying the Miami talk.

EricB
07-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Supposedly zeke helped...

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 03:29 PM
sportsguy33
Fake gambling line for tonight: Does LeBron cry at any point during tonight's The LeBrachelor? Bet -240 (yes) or +200 (no).
less than a minute ago via web

v-Bookie?

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 03:46 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ
RT @PDcavsinsider: LeBron just left Cleveland State, headed for Greenwich. No, didn't say goodbye
less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

Sources say he shaved and showered but couldn't confirm if he shit -- reporters are live at the scene and inspecting the bathroom as we speak.

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Sources say he shaved and showered but couldn't confirm if he shit -- reporters are live at the scene and inspecting the bathroom as we speak.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 03:49 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo
Warriors rooting for LeBron going anywhere but NYK to ensure David Lee sign and trade goes down.
1 minute ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

lurker23
07-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Get ready for the flood gates to open, everyone. Once LeBron makes his "Decision," I think the dominoes will start falling very quickly.

My prediction: we'll have a very good idea about both RJ and Tiago by the end of the day, July 10th.

pad300
07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Typcial maverick offseason. Talk a big game about going after the top free agents only to end up overpaying for a 2nd or 3rd tier free agent.

Overpaid, a little, but not that bad. He's pretty much the best C available in Free agency. Haywood was going to get paid. I do question the length of the deal; I suspect that Dallas bid against themselves there... (unless it's a Dampier special, with the last year unguaranteed).

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Overpaid, a little, but not that bad. He's pretty much the best C available in Free agency. Haywood was going to get paid. I do question the length of the deal; I suspect that Dallas bid against themselves there... (unless it's a Dampier special, with the last year unguaranteed).

I'd think that Heywood is kind of in the same boat that Jefferson is. Yeah, there are teams out there with cap room. But how many of those teams were going to be interested in throwing $9 mil/yr at him?

I definitely think Dallas had time to be patient and could have gotten him at a cheaper price.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 04:40 PM
RicBucher

FWIW: disparate opinions among gms, agents, league HQ officials today about where LeBron is going, but consensus on 1 thing: it's not Mia.

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Bucher working for the 4-letter trying to add to the intrigue and rumor-mongering. No credible information from peeps in the know, means no news at all.

Cane
07-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Oh shit looks like Bucher surfs forums too if he's using acronyms like FWIW.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
RicBucher

Unofficial Bucher poll results of those I've spoken to today: 4 for Cle, 3 for NY. Not sure why Chi got no love but it didn't.
less than a minute ago via web

Latest from the Doucher

RicBucher

Reason for skepticism: LBJ wd be 3rd-highest paid, it's Wade's town, brand unquestionably tarnished, still at least a yr away from title.

RicBucher

In other words: no decision would inspire more head-scratching than the Heat. And Riley goes to straight into hypnotists Hall of Fame.
half a minute ago via

pad300
07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd think that Heywood is kind of in the same boat that Jefferson is. Yeah, there are teams out there with cap room. But how many of those teams were going to be interested in throwing $9 mil/yr at him?

I definitely think Dallas had time to be patient and could have gotten him at a cheaper price.

Haywood was definitely not in the same boat as Jefferson.
1) Haywood had a decent year (PER 16.1, after coming back from a major injury the year before), Jefferson was well down (PER 13.1, a CAREER low).
2) Less competition - Haywood is pretty much the best FA center out there. There are several more attractive options at SF than Jefferson - Outlaw, Miller, Lebron, etc.

I do agree however, that if Dallas had more patience they could have gotten a better price. Although rumour has is that the last year is unguaranteed. 6 years at $55 million, including 10.5% raises means it starts at roughly 7.5 Million, which is good, and the last year unguaranteed makes it roughly $45 Million / 5 years

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I never though LBJ was going to Miami. Bucher makes it seem like there is no way.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
sportsguy33

the miami/lbj scenario: Just 3 hours away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76dwhgowpa
5 minutes ago via web

Here ya go:

H76DwHgOwpA

benefactor
07-08-2010, 05:12 PM
The anticipation is killing me.

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:13 PM
It is pretty intense.

Warlord23
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Oh shit looks like Bucher surfs forums too if he's using acronyms like FWIW.

Where else do you think he gets his "news"?

benefactor
07-08-2010, 05:15 PM
It is pretty intense.
Very.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Very.

Extremely.

E-RockWill
07-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "LBJ" sounds a lot like a latin porn star? Seriously, think about it......

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "LBJ" sounds a lot like a latin porn star? Seriously, think about it......

Latin Beef Jungle?

SpursTillTheEnd
07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
lbj signing party tonight @heb

lbjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjj

E-RockWill
07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Latin Beef Jungle? :wow

:lol Holy shit....

I was thinkin' more like "El B.J.".

Your's is like conditioner....It is better.....

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I ain't gonna lie ... I'm not Latin, but I used it as my stage name . . .

benefactor
07-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Very.

Extremely.
http://blog.masslive.com/parquetpride/2008/04/large_kevin-garnett-pumped.jpg

E-RockWill
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
lbj signing party tonight @heb

free lbj umbrella's when you suscribe to the Express News........

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo

LeBron & Co en route to venue for "The Decision."

Reporters still live on the scene inspecting bathroom . . .

Manufan909
07-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Why is it head scratching to assume Lebron goes to Miami?

To whoever brought up the "ride a-long" theory, that makes a whole crap load of sense.

And to whoever said if it were the Lakers no one would be shitting bricks, I have to disagree. The Gasol traded wasn't liked by anyone, but imagine if Gasol had been in his prime, AND Carmelo or Lebron came along, that would cause an uproar. No one can really stop it, but that would be some serious bs.

And to whoever mentioned parity, this would not be dominant-but-there-are-2-or-3-teams-that-could-also-win, it would be dominant-as-in-that-dude-got-held-back-5-times-yet-he's-still-playing-HS-basketball-W-T-F!!!

cantthinkofanything
07-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Labia Buster James?

sorry.....

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:27 PM

It is pretty intense.

Very.

Extremely.

http://blog.masslive.com/parquetpride/2008/04/large_kevin-garnett-pumped.jpg

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2008/04/21/0421_ultimate_warrior_wwe.com_bn-1.jpg

cantthinkofanything
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Latin Beef Jungle?

Likes Butthole Juice

sorry again

Mel_13
07-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Anyone else recording the event?

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Likes Butthole Juice

sorry again

Nope, can't say I ever used that one . . .

E-RockWill
07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Likes Butthole Juice

sorry again

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Anyone else recording the event?

I've even got a stenographer!

cantthinkofanything
07-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Nope, can't say I ever used that one . . .

Sorry. Didn't mean to insinuate. That was directed 100% at LeBron and this fucking fiasco.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Sorry. Didn't mean to insinuate. That was directed 100% at LeBron and this fucking fiasco.

Nah, Latin Beef Jungle was my stage name back in the day. I've never 'used' it (unless you count what I did on stage).

TD 21
07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm still sold on the Cavs. I think all this Heat talk is to build drama, suspense, etc., so that when he says Cavs, it not only shocks most people, but he looks like a hero in the process.

objective
07-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Randy Foye expected to sign with the Clippers

Vic Petro
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm so excited my Decision Party is about to start!!!

Meatless burgers and sugarless soda and other things without substance.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Randy Foye expected to sign with the Clippers

I wasn't even aware he was a free-agent . . .

Ginobili2Duncan
07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
I really hope he stays in Cleveland. i think it would be a disaster for the nba if he went to Miami with Wade and Bosh.

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I was unaware about Foye also lol

Vic Petro
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I will say it again.

Bron is definitely staying in Cleveland and if he doesn't I'll poop in my hat.

objective
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I wasn't even aware he was a free-agent . . .

apparently he didn't even have a QO from Washington.

Blackjack
TheBigLead
Rumors! RT @gregcote: LeBron-to-Miami may not be happening. Heat has canceled a full-page welcome ad in The Miami Herald. I'm serious

Spurs Brazil
STEIN_LINE_HQ RT @EthanJSkolnick: Heat pulled its Welcome LeBron ad from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Confirmed.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 07:30 PM
apparently he didn't even have a QO from Washington.

And that's probably why. :wow

TD 21
07-08-2010, 07:30 PM
It would be a disaster for the NBA. For two weeks in the fFnals, if it were Heat-Lakers, the league would love it, but for the other fifty weeks of the year, they'd hate it. You don't want two of your consensus three best players on the same team and another top fifteen player; you want them spread out. Each in their own market and going head to head against one another.

Foye is a solid third guard, but he had a bad season last season and with the Wizards already having Wall, Arenas and Hinrich in the back court, it didn't make sense to qualify Foye for (I believe) close to $5 million next season to be a fourth guard in an already undersized back court, particularly with the top three likely to play the vast majority of the minutes. To fill out their back court, they need size. If he's kept (I've heard they'd like to move him), Young would fit the bill and if he's brought back (I've heard they'd like to bring him back, though that was before Wall and Hinrich were on the team), Livingston would, too.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 07:31 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

RT @IraHeatBeat: Heat pulled print ads not because of any knowledge of James decision but because of unsigned status of Bosh and Wade

objective
07-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I will say it again.

I feel sorry for your hat.

But at least you're not saying you'll wear it also.

Now that would be laying it on the line.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I will say it again.

I'm inclined to agree. Having an hour long special on ESPN to announce that you're fucking your home state is pretty cold-blooded, and can't be good for your "brand". Is he really that stupid? I can't decide.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I said Cleveland a few days ago and it sounds to me that's where he'll be. I keep seeing reports about all of those surrounding that he's going to Miami but apparently the Cleveland brass is very confident he's going back -- which would give credence to the notion that they're floating the Miami stuff to add to the drama for Queen LeDrama.

objective
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
And that's probably why. :wow

Foye doesn't play the same position, and won't take up all their cap space, but the Clippers need for RJ's alleged scoring ability will be even less.

RJ's bargaining position just keeps getting worse.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I think LeBron really screwed himself with this whole free agency stunt. Good players were afraid to go to Cleveland because they weren't sure if LeBron was staying and he wouldn't let anyone know what his intentions were. Had LeBron just committed to the Cavs two years ago he might have some more talented players around him today. Who wouldn't want the chance to play with LeBron, players were just scared they would be stuck in Cleveland all by themselves.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2010, 07:35 PM
I think LeBron really screwed himself with this whole free agency stunt. Good players were afraid to go to Cleveland because they weren't sure if LeBron was staying and he wouldn't let anyone know what his intentions were. Had LeBron just committed to the Cavs two years ago he might have some more talented players around him today. Who wouldn't want the chance to play with LeBron, players were just scared they would be stuck in Cleveland all by themselves.

Excellent point. Thanks to his ego, he could find himself six years older with bad knees and no rings. At times like this you have to credit guys like Dirk and Kobe who didn't use these times as an opportunity to have the world jerk their egos.

ElNono
07-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Who said Lebron gives a shit about basketball?

This is what he loves... the drama with him front and center. Attention whoring at it's finest.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Foye doesn't play the same position, and won't take up all their cap space, but the Clippers need for RJ's scoring will be even less.

RJ's bargaining position just keeps getting worse.

Depends on what the hell they're thinking with Aminu, but it could be possible.

Utah's another possibility now that they got a trade exception for Boozer and they at least have a team that gets up and down a little more with a point who'd be a better fit for him.

His market's drying up but so are the potential trade suitors to get a trade exception for him.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Who said Lebron gives a shit about basketball?

This is what he loves... the drama with him front and center. Attention whoring at it's finest.

If LeBron wants to be a global icon like MJ it is in his best interest win some championships.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
He's staying. No way he leaves imo. But, I'm not going to lie. I'm going to watch.

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Id say 50% Cleveland or 50% New York at this point. I never bought the Miami talk.

objective
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Depends on what the hell they're thinking with Aminu, but it could be possible.

Utah's another possibility now that they got a trade exception for Boozer and they at least have a team that gets up and down a little more with a point who'd be a better fit for him.

His market's drying up but so are the potential trade suitors to get a trade exception for him.

I have problems seeing Utah as credible.

He's not better than AK47, and Sloan tends to like players who can do the little things, like Hayward looks like he can do in the Harpring mold.

Why on earth would they want to bring RJ into that?

objective
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Denial is the first stage guys.

He's going to Miami. Eventually you'll finally accept that the window is over for all other teams. But for now you're just fighting against it.

TD 21
07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Seems like the Spurs are content to wait Jefferson out. They know he probably has limited options given what he's likely looking for and are just waiting for his options to dwindle until he has little to no choice but to return to them with an affordable deal. 5 years/$45 million doesn't fit that description, even if the fifth year isn't fully guaranteed.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I have problems seeing Utah as credible.

He's not better than AK47, and Sloan tends to like players who can do the little things, like Hayward looks like he can do in the Harpring mold.

Why on earth would they want to bring RJ into that?

I'm trying to give myself some hope dammit!

We're gonna end up with him extended. :depressed

objective
07-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I just hope they don't bid against themselves like they did with Bonner.

There just isn't any demand for him. A team will try for Childress with the MLE before RJ. Look at Toronto, they just signed Kleiza risking a Denver match, they didn't want anything to do with RJ.

TD 21
07-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't think they'll low ball him. They know that even if his intention was to leave the Spurs, he still did them a favor by opting out of his deal (even though the Spurs options would be limited). For that, I think they'll reward him...to an extent. I don't buy 5/$45, something more like 3 or 4 years and somewhere between $27-36 million.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2010, 07:56 PM
No way LBJ goes to the Knicks. Even he's smart enough to see how inept that group is. If he goes anywhere other than Cleveland it'll be New Jersey.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 07:56 PM
And you know they're going to be weighing the fact that he opted out of 15.2M into the equation.

I'm sure they're probably afraid if he loses too much money they'll end up with a bad fit of a player who's also in the midst of sulking or dogging it at times.

Somebody -- anybody -- take him off the Spurs' hands . . .

http://www.thehypertexts.com/images/Boy%20and%20Dog%20Praying%20Together.jpg

MannyIsGod
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
No way LBJ goes to the Knicks. Even he's smart enough to see how inept that group is. If he goes anywhere other than Cleveland it'll be New Jersey.

After the signings they made today thats not happening.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
DeJuan45
Don't go no were lebron smh!!
less than a minute ago via Echofon

MannyIsGod
07-08-2010, 08:01 PM
God I already want to puke.

benefactor
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
God I already want to puke.
That's why I didn't watch. Dinner was quite good.

Spurs Brazil
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Maybe James will say he needs more 7 days to think

objective
07-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Clippers have also reported to have come to terms with Ryan Gomes

Now they really don't need RJ.

Stay strong, RC. Play the market, nothing else.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Its like a car wreck bro. I have to look.

Also, Jon Barry saying he doesn't owe the fans in Cleveland anything is complete bullshit, imo. They typically don't owe the fans as much as fans sometimes think they do, but to say they don't owe ANYTHING is complete bullshit.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
After the signings they made today thats not happening.

Then my money's on "don't add insult to injury". He's staying home.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 08:08 PM
He definitely didn't look at ease, that's for sure . . .

objective
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
he's nervous because he's a coward who has to bow down to be the sidekick on Wade's team to coattail to a title.

Nathan89
07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
He should go to the bulls.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Ok so he lied about the timeline for this shit. Fuck this guy.