PDA

View Full Version : Its Already OVER guys....

poop
07-01-2010, 01:32 PM
i havent posted here or read these boards since around the WCF, but i already can tell you this: all the patchwork in the world isnt gonna make the spurs a contender. Tim and Manu will be even older (still effective but you know), Matt Bonner will continue to be a big part of the team, and most importantly, the Lakers will continue to have a ridiculously stacked team that will go thru the motions again to get to the Finals, but only next year since the Celtics have declined the league will move to 'encourage' certain things and a new superteam will form out East out of superstars following a series of miraculous dealings and that team will be facing the Lakers in the next 2 or so Finals.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
the spurs are never out ....

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey, Kori. Here's another thread for you to lock.

rascal
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
the spurs are never out ....

The spurs have been out ever since the Gasol trade.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
but i already can tell you this: all the patchwork in the world isnt gonna make the spurs a contender.

So, what should we, as Spurs fans, do?

boutons_deux
07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
If Pop doesn't re-install Spurs Basketball (aka, defense first/last/always), I agree.

Mr Bones
07-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't agree that it's over, but at this point even if everything falls into place (Splitter coming, Jefferson returning, Anderson playing well), the Spurs will still need a good dose of luck to win it all. On paper, the Lakers are still superior.

ducks
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
If Pop doesn't re-install Spurs Basketball (aka, defense first/last/always), I agree.

then leave

iManu
07-01-2010, 01:45 PM
If we could sign Splitter, McGrady, and Shaq. We'd at least be a dark horse.

4>0rings
07-01-2010, 01:47 PM
as long as crater face continues to trot out that t-rex ginger it's over.

SenorSpur
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
The Fakers are the champs until someone knocks them off. I just don't see anyone in the West being capable - at this point - including the Spurs.

Remember this team was SWEPT out by the Suns.

TheSpurglar
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Heh heh... "poop".

SpursChampsIII
07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
i havent posted here or read these boards since around the WCF, but i already can tell you this: all the patchwork in the world isnt gonna make the spurs a contender. Tim and Manu will be even older (still effective but you know), Matt Bonner will continue to be a big part of the team, and most importantly, the Lakers will continue to have a ridiculously stacked team that will go thru the motions again to get to the Finals, but only next year since the Celtics have declined the league will move to 'encourage' certain things and a new superteam will form out East out of superstars following a series of miraculous dealings and that team will be facing the Lakers in the next 2 or so Finals.

I hate quitters. Your attitude = your handle

Duncan2177
07-01-2010, 01:55 PM

GTFO Your thread is poop.

Chillen
07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I think Spurs fans need to start enjoying the NBA championships won in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007. The Gasol trade really kind of changed the balance of power in the Western Conference, and the Spurs never got a talented big man to help Tim Duncan. It's not over but with the Lakers just getting a 2peat, they remain the team in the West and the whole NBA to beat. The Spurs have enough experience talent to be a 50 win team and make the playoffs, so it ain't over until this team with Duncan, Ginobili, Parker misses the playoffs. Winning the NBA title though for that core looks pretty tough but it's not impossible.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 02:38 PM
What a bunch of pussies spurfans can be.

poop
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
i will always be a fan, will watch every game and root for them, but its almost sad coming on here seeing countless threads about 'if we can only get Splitter (oh brother), and sign this guy, and __-continues to play well...if..if only...if...if only...."

its like watching a national geographic video where a baby seal has just been bitten in half by a great white shark and the little guy's top half is struggling to swim, he still thinks he can make it, and you are rooting for the little guy, but you know deep down hes dead meat. hahhahahahhaha

hater
07-01-2010, 02:50 PM
it's all over guys. The OP has spoken.

Now I guess it's time to talk about 2012 Spurs season... or that one over too?

poop
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
im not saying 'stop being a spurs fan', all im saying is please stop the delusion that they are going to contend for the Title anymore.

TheSpurglar
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I think Spurs fans need to start enjoying the NBA championships won in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007.

I couldn't truly start enjoying the four titles until you made this post. Thanks, man!

It's not over but with the Lakers just getting a 2peat, they remain the team in the West and the whole NBA to beat.

The champs are the team to beat? What kind of logic is THAT!?

The Spurs have enough experience talent to be a 50 win team and make the playoffs, so it ain't over until this team with Duncan, Ginobili, Parker misses the playoffs. Winning the NBA title though for that core looks pretty tough but it's not impossible.

So it's not impossible for the Spurs to win a title, but it's not going to be easy either? Thank you for your contribution to this thread. :toast

Creation88
07-01-2010, 03:04 PM

we're resigning Jefferson and Bonner to address that........

poop
07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
especially watching the world cup, reminds me of how much of a manufactured product the NBA is. the Spurs had an incredible run, unprecedented for a small market team. it was based on a couple extremely fortunate lottery picks as well as extremely smart FO organization and resourcefulness, that no franchise has been able to match. but the NBA effectively put an stop to this once and for all and ended our reign by assuring that the Big Money teams and Stars stay on top for the forseeable future. its all a marketing gimmick now, its about the big name stars not the team, where big money franchises get anything they want to stay on top while small market teams remain at a severe disadvantage

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Don't tell us what kind of fans to be.

Thanks.

poop
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
why do you bother to even open my threads, ChumpDump?

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Don't tell me what threads to read.

Thanks.

SenorSpur
07-01-2010, 03:50 PM
The OP brings up a salient point. The gap between the defending champions and the rest of the conference is pretty huge right now.

The Spurs roster flaws and deficiencies were duly exposed during the Suns series. The supporting cast wasn't quite good enough to push the Spurs over the hump. With the minutes and age of the Big Three, it's imperative that the remaining rotational players be solid enough, and good enough, to make consistent contributions on a game-to-game basis. Some of those same question marks will still be there, when the season starts.

Compounding the Spurs issues are the fact that they have very little financial flexibility to make further roster upgrades. The potential additions of Anderson and Splitter are nice and should help considerably. However, the big question is will that be enough to provide the lift the Spurs need? Can those additions supercede the existing roster flaws? Personally, I looking forward to seeing what RJ can do in Year 2, if he remains on the team. However, I have to admit, I'm very skeptical as to how he'll be any better next season.

There is no doubt the Spurs will be a playoff team. While it's premature to deem the run over, to say or think of the Spurs as legitimate NBA title contenders, right now, is also premature. Let's see how the rest of the summer plays out.

Josepatches_
07-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Remember this team was SWEPT out by the Suns.

And next year Manu and Tim will be one year older.

It's over.Time to rebuilt.

Josepatches_
07-01-2010, 05:50 PM
im not saying 'stop being a spurs fan', all im saying is please stop the delusion that they are going to contend for the Title anymore.

At least next year

Agloco
07-01-2010, 06:02 PM
The OP brings up a salient point. The gap between the defending champions and the rest of the conference is pretty huge right now.

The Spurs roster flaws and deficiencies were duly exposed during the Suns series. The supporting cast wasn't quite good enough to push the Spurs over the hump. With the minutes and age of the Big Three, it's imperative that the remaining rotational players be solid enough, and good enough, to make consistent contributions on a game-to-game basis. Some of those same question marks will still be there, when the season starts.

Compounding the Spurs issues are the fact that they have very little financial flexibility to make further roster upgrades. The potential additions of Anderson and Splitter are nice and should help considerably. However, the big question is will that be enough to provide the lift the Spurs need? Can those additions supercede the existing roster flaws? Personally, I looking forward to seeing what RJ can do in Year 2, if he remains on the team. However, I have to admit, I'm very skeptical as to how he'll be any better next season.

There is no doubt the Spurs will be a playoff team. While it's premature to deem the run over, to say or think of the Spurs as legitimate NBA title contenders, right now, is also premature. Let's see how the rest of the summer plays out.

Good post

It all pretty much comes down to two things, perhaps three:

1) Will Splitter have the same impact here as he had in Europe? I heart wants to say yes, but my brain tells me no. It will be his first year and we all know how that goes......

2) Will RJ be that reliable scorer/defender that we need if and when one of the big three has an off game. He wasn't last year and the results were disastrous. I wanna stress that he doesn't need to be "the man" but he needs to be "a man".......

3) Will Anderson and RJ be able to provide consistent 3 point shooting. This to be extended to any FA that the Spurs sign as well. So collectively, will they have enough from downtown to keep them in games down the stretch?

Injuries are always a potential factor so this goes without saying. There's no fixing the defense unless a surprise acquisition occurs at the 3 and 5. The existing personnel don't inspire much confidence in that department.

BUMP
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
The Spurs are done with the roster they have now, but as long as you're gonna keep Tim, Tony, and Manu you might as well keep punching buttons and maybe you'll get lucky and pull off a Gasol-like trade

rascal
07-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Good post

It all pretty much comes down to two things, perhaps three:

1) Will Splitter have the same impact here as he had in Europe? I heart wants to say yes, but my brain tells me no. It will be his first year and we all know how that goes......

2) Will RJ be that reliable scorer/defender that we need if and when one of the big three has an off game. He wasn't last year and the results were disastrous. I wanna stress that he doesn't need to be "the man" but he needs to be "a man".......

3) Will Anderson and RJ be able to provide consistent 3 point shooting. This to be extended to any FA that the Spurs sign as well. So collectively, will they have enough from downtown to keep them in games down the stretch?

Injuries are always a potential factor so this goes without saying. There's no fixing the defense unless a surprise acquisition occurs at the 3 and 5. The existing personnel don't inspire much confidence in that department.

1)Of course Splitter will not have the same impact here as he had in Europe. He was a star in Europe. He will be going up against bigger quicker players in the NBA.

2)RJ can be better but only if Pop takes the reigns off the structured offense and let the spurs and RJ run more. RJ is not a consistent 3 point shooter. I do not know why so many here are counting on him to be a reliable 3 point shooter.

3) Anderson will be a good player but he is 4th in line for minutes in the backcourt and that will slow his development.

BadMotorscooter
07-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I wouldnt say its over....ecspecially after watching Boston end up in the Finals this year. There isnt a poster here who picked them to be in the Finals when the playoffs started. With the way we are made up, we need to be very healthy and rested going into the playoffs and go back to making the games a very low scoring affair. We tried outscoring people this year and that was our doom against Phoenix.

Agloco
07-01-2010, 06:43 PM
1)Of course Splitter will not have the same impact here as he had in Europe. He was a star in Europe. He will be going up against bigger quicker players in the NBA.

2)RJ can be better but only if Pop takes the reigns off the structured offense and let the spurs and RJ run more. RJ is not a consistent 3 point shooter. I do not know why so many here are counting on him to be a reliable 3 point shooter.

3) Anderson will be a good player but he is 4th in line for minutes in the backcourt and that will slow his development.

1) Of course......we will see. I think that he needs to operate at a level well above the average NBA center in order for the Spurs to be a legitimate threat. Whether or not that makes him a star is subjective banter at best.

2) Probably because no one on the current roster other than Hill has shown a tendency to hit 3's consistently. Manu is the closest, and he's really streaky. That leaves Anderson and RJ. As you point out in #3, Anderson probably wont get a lot of minutes, thus he won't develop into significant threat before next years playoffs. Yeah, RJ needs to build confidence in that shot in order to improve the spacing. That was the genesis of many problems on the offensive end last year.

Quiet Strength
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Man some people are big babies. I still believe in the spurs and i'll always be a fan when they win and when they lose. The spurs still have duncan, parker, and manu and I still believe that with them the spurs can compete with the best. Hopefully blair has a monster second season and hill has an even better season than last. Go spurs!

Arrowch4
07-02-2010, 09:40 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Katrina_Go_Away_sign.jpg/800px-Katrina_Go_Away_sign.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Katrina_Go_Away_sign.jpg)

carib
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey, Kori. Here's another thread for you to lock.

If he thinks that it’s on him, and I am sure there are Spurs fans out there that will concur with this proclamation.

The Spurs are not built to contend with the Lakers, and there is zilch that they can do in this off season to get better, or shall I say the front office is trying to do with the money they can spend.

Are the Spurs going out there to Win Yes, but there is only so much you can do with what you have.

iManu
07-02-2010, 11:05 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=25hrh44

DrSteffo
07-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Oh another it's over thread how original.

Solid D
07-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I choose to look at things on the bright side. I'm just glad that, over the past dozen years, Timmy D. hasn't sliced off a hand with one of his swords.

ohmwrecker
07-02-2010, 12:33 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=25hrh44

With this trade you have decreased this team's projected wins by 4.

Love,

John Hollinger

veji1
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Indeed, this was I believe the last "let's give it all we got" year.. The FO tried, the players tried, but it is now time to try to build the next contender in a multiyear plan while trying to stay competitive in the meanwhile (aka no tanking).

Gino/TD are great players still, and soon great trade assets. TP is already a great trade asset. Splitter would be great to be mentored by TD...

Time to get on working on a 2013-2014 plan.