PDA

View Full Version : Question about Manu's extension

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Is there still anyone left who thinks that the Spurs should have let him the open market?

Look at what's happening on the first day of free agency:

WojYahooNBA

Mike Miller promises to benefit too. He will get a deal exceeding the mid-level exception -- perhaps $35 to $40 million too.

Wow, wtf???

So far:
Pekovic 3/13
Gooden 5/32
Salmons 5/39
Milicic 4/20
Gay 5/82

Some deals are said to be on the table:
Frye 5/25
Johnson 6/119

Teams are throwing crazy money for average players. :wow

Cane
07-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Yea, Manu would easily be one of the bigger names available despite his age. He's the guy that basically carried the team into the playoffs and posts up great boxscores while also having intangibles second to nearly no one.

Slinkyman
07-01-2010, 02:49 PM
How many of those players are over 30?

bdictjames
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
That Johnson deal is just crazy. For a 22 ppg scorer, no way.

Brazil
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
That Johnson deal is just crazy. For a 22 ppg scorer, no way.

A new Arenas fail in the making

lurker23
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Other than more years, is there any way other teams would have been able to outbid the Spurs current extension? Didn't they give him the max money he could get for a 3 year contract?

VBM
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Thought this would be a Manu - nose thread...

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
I wonder what kind of bank Childress will get?

So much for a looming CBA. :rollin

timvp
07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Is there still anyone left who thinks that the Spurs should have let him the open market?

Manu's contract looks more than fair given the crazy signings we've seen thus far.

Although I have to admit that my mind wanders to what could have been if RJ opted out, Manu's contract expired and the Spurs traded TP to a team with cap space. Would the Spurs risk it and go after a franchise level stud? Only hindsight will tell us if such a rebuilding plan should have been put into motion.

SsKSpurs21
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ: ESPN.com sources: Gay on verge of verbal agreement on five-year $80 million deal to stay with Memphis Grizzlies. Link forthcoming

Wow, and people here, including me, were hoping we could have gotten him.

Creation88
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
these contracts show the stupidity of 80% of the NBA owners/teams/organizations. this will just lead to another pre-FA 2010 set of years where teams are just begging to dump huge contracts in order to free space for a particular FA pool in the future.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Other than more years, is there any way other teams would have been able to outbid the Spurs current extension? Didn't they give him the max money he could get for a 3 year contract?

He got a maximum extension, not the same as a max contract. Extensions are based on the salary of the last year of his existing contract. In Manu's case, that meant a salary of 11.8M for the first year of his extension. If he had become a FA, the maximum first year salary of a new contract would have been 16.6M.

My Fault
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I've always thought Manu's contract was fair. He brings more to this team then what's on the court.

TheSpurglar
07-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Thought this would be a Manu - nose thread...

:lol :toast

lurker23
07-01-2010, 03:47 PM
He got a maximum extension, not the same as a max contract. Extensions are based on the salary of the last year of his existing contract. In Manu's case, that meant a salary of 11.8M for the first year of his extension. If he had become a FA, the maximum first year salary of a new contract would have been 16.6M.

Yeah, I realized that sometime after I posted it. Thanks Mel. My brain is kind of fried right now. Maybe I should step away from the numbers and focus on my British spy/kung fu movie screenplay co-staring Ryan Richards and Mengke Bateer. :downspin:

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I realized that sometime after I posted it. Thanks Mel. My brain is kind of fried right now. Maybe I should step away from the numbers and focus on my British spy/kung fu movie screenplay co-staring Ryan Richards and Mengke Bateer. :downspin:

:lol

Sounds like a good flick.

DesignatedT
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Another reason why Spurs need to hand Tony an extension also.

TMTTRIO
07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
We were lucky the last time he was a FA. Because he was a restricted agent there weren't a lot of teams willing to go after him and throw a lot of money at him. Now it looks like maybe it would've been better in his case to test the FA market.

Fabbs
07-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mel_13

Manu's contract looks more than fair given the crazy signings we've seen thus far.

Although I have to admit that my mind wanders to what could have been if RJ opted out, Manu's contract expired and the Spurs traded TP to a team with cap space. Would the Spurs risk it and go after a franchise level stud? Only hindsight will tell us if such a rebuilding plan should have been put into motion.
If Pop-a-Stoop leads to another 1st round and out or 2nd round sweeping it will certainly be fail.

Won't know until the post season unfolds.
Also how will Manu be in the 2nd and 3rd year of the extension?

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
lol kahn is he a disciple of mchale? repeat and rinse same shit all over again with the wolves organization