PDA

View Full Version : Wojnarowski: Jefferson eyes Knicks, Nets

ace3g
07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Richard Jefferson doesn’t have a deal with the San Antonio Spurs and would prefer to return to the New York area to play for the Knicks or Nets, league sources told Y! Sports.

Jefferson is seeking a multiyear contract that averages in the range of $8 million-$10 million, sources said. He opted out of the $15 million final season of his contract with the Spurs on Tuesday.

Jefferson has built a good relationship with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, but doesn’t think the team’s system best fits his skills.

The Spurs could still try to sign Jefferson to a contract that lowers their luxury-tax hit, depending on what other options they find in free agency.

– Adrian Wojnarowski, 4:20 p.m. ET, July 1

http://tinyurl.com/34uvljx

Creation88
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
thank God!

ace3g
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
woops didn't realize I started a new thread, thought I only posted it in the other RJ threads, lol

DBMethos
07-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Better be a sign-and-trade, otherwise we're fucked.

mingus
07-01-2010, 03:57 PM
i just hope it's a sign and trade. if not, i want him to resign here. this is only god for the Spurs if they can get something in return. Chandler comes to mind.

Vic Petro
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
If it's a S&T, and we can secure Splitter, it's a great start to FA.

benefactor
Hopefully they can work out a S&T.

purist
thank God!

You realize the Spurs are screwed if RJ walks? Sign and trade is the best option for Spurs, but neither the Nets or Knicks have anything on their rosters that I'd want, save for Favors or Lee. and neither team will want to part with them.

Muser
S&T for who though?

ducks
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
lee for jefferson LOL

Creation88
You realize the Spurs are screwed if RJ walks? Sign and trade is the best option for Spurs, but neither the Nets or Knicks have anything on their rosters that I'd want, save for Favors or Lee. and neither team will want to part with them.

don't want RJ here. if it's a sign and trade that'd be great but i'm perfectly fine with him leaving. period.

lefty
If he leaves its a good thing, but we still have to find a good athletic SF

tdunk21
07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
thank God!

do u realize we have to find a replacement for him with just the LLE?

timvp
07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
woops didn't realize I started a new thread, thought I only posted it in the other RJ threads, lol

I split it out into a new thread because it's a noteworthy development.

The first rumor I heard of RJ thinking about opting out was involving him going back to NJ for $35-40 million ... add in this story by the best Spurs source (Yahoo AKA Ludden) and I'm really doubting that the Spurs were the ones who pushed RJ to opt out. I think that RJ's number one wish is to go back to NJ.

The good news is that if RJ goes to NJ or NY, he'd likely go in a S&T.

RiverwalkParade
07-01-2010, 04:01 PM
S&T for who though?

Curry and Gallinari for RJ and Dice?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
thank God!

If it's not a sign and trade, you realize our starting SF next year will either be Hairston or James Anderson, right?

benefactor

The first rumor I heard of RJ thinking about opting out was involving him going back to NJ for $35-40 million ... add in this story by the best Spurs source (Yahoo AKA Ludden) and I'm really doubting that the Spurs were the ones who pushed RJ to opt out. I think that RJ's number one wish is to go back to NJ.

Better for either team financially, correct?

lurker23
I just want a sign and trade for a trade exception. That would give the Spurs a lot of flexibility to get a replacement. I've posed this question before, but what would convince NY or NJ to do a S&T instead of an outright free agent signing? Could we throw in a 2nd round pick or $1 million?

Bruno
07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Teams under the cap best interest is to do a S&T because they can have a contract with 10.5% raises instead of 8%

If RJ sign a $40M/5 years contract, the starting salary will be $6.90M with a 8% raise contract and $6.61M with a 10.5% raise contract. Doing a sign and trade will spare $300K in cap space.

A S&T of RJ for a 2017 top 59 protected second round pick woudl be great because it would create a big TE for Spurs. Spurs can even get a bigger TE by packaging Hairston and/or Jerrells with RJ.

ducks
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
spurs could throw in up to 3 million right?

Creation88
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
If it's not a sign and trade, you realize our starting SF next year will either be Hairston or James Anderson, right?

all for giving time to someone that will value it.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 04:05 PM

The good news is that if RJ goes to NJ or NY, he'd likely go in a S&T.Really? New York barely has enough players to trade as it is. Both seem to have enough cap room to compensate for any money lost in raises from a sign and trade since it won't be a max contract.

The Spurs might be fortunate to get a second rounder out of it. The real value would be the trade exception. Don't get greedy about demands.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm really surprised that RJ did this without the team's cooperation.

Here's to getting a nice, fat trade exception.

My Fault
07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Hopefully its in a S&T so the Spurs atleast get a trade exception in the deal to bring someone else in. Question is who tho...

timvp
07-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Better for either team financially, correct?

I just want a sign and trade for a trade exception. That would give the Spurs a lot of flexibility to get a replacement. I've posed this question before, but what would convince NY or NJ to do a S&T instead of an outright free agent signing? Could we throw in a 2nd round pick or $1 million?

In a sign-and-trade, the Spurs can give larger annual salary increases, which means NJ or NY can give RJ a lower first year salary and save some cap room. The Spurs could also take back an unwanted contract or throw in a pick or some cash.

When it comes down to it, NJ or NY would have no reason not to do a S&T other than if they just wanted to screw the Spurs.

lefty
07-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Teams under the cap best interest is to do a S&T because they can have a contract with 10.5% raises instead of 8%

If RJ sign a $40M/5 years contract, the starting salary will be $6.90M with a 8% raise contract and $6.61M with a 10.5% raise contract. Doing a sign and trade will spare $300K in cap space.

A S&T of RJ for a 2017 top 59 protected second round pick woudl be great because it would create a big TE for Spurs. Spurs can even get a bigger TE by packaging Hairston and/or Jerrells with RJ.
I'm so jealous of your knowledge

ace3g
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
if he goes to NJ I would want a trade exception (not really any good SF on the Nets roster); if he goes to NY S&T involving Wilson Chandler as one of the pieces

SpursTillTheEnd
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
thank you jesus, and yall people saying we dont have a sf need to shut the hell up, hariston is better than jefferson and if you say otherwise just stop being a spurs fan

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
thank you jesus, and yall people saying we dont have a sf need to shut the hell up, hariston is better than jefferson and if you say otherwise just stop being a spurs fanWe don't have an SF.

Jefferson is better than Hairston.

benefactor
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
In a sign-and-trade, the Spurs can give larger annual salary increases, which means NJ or NY can give RJ a lower first year salary and save some cap room. The Spurs could also take back an unwanted contract or throw in a pick or some cash.

When it comes down to it, NJ or NY would have no reason not to do a S&T other than if they just wanted to screw the Spurs.
:tu

Hopefully something gets done today.

timvp
Really? New York barely has enough players to trade as it is. Both seem to have enough cap room to compensate for any money lost in raises from a sign and trade since it won't be a max contract.

The Spurs might be fortunate to get a second rounder out of it. The real value would be the trade exception. Don't get greedy about demands.

Where did I say I want the Spurs to get anything other than a trade exception? I'd be willing for the Spurs to give up a draft pick, pay cash or take back an unwanted player to get that trade exception.

A trade exception right now is worth its weight in gold.

scottspurs
thank you jesus, and yall people saying we dont have a sf need to shut the hell up, hariston is better than jefferson and if you say otherwise just stop being a spurs fan

Hairston will NOT start at SF.

peacemaker885
07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Sorry to change topics, but is there a way to ignore/not to see posts from particular users?

Interrohater
This is starting to look more and more like the Spurs are getting caught in a bad spot. Even though we have all this talk about CIA pop and the FO smoke screens, sometimes things just don't go our way. This looks like one of those times.

ChumpDumper
Where did I say I want the Spurs to get anything other than a trade exception? I'd be willing for the Spurs to give up a draft pick, pay cash or take back an unwanted player to get that trade exception.

A trade exception right now is worth its weight in gold.I was saying the Spurs should not get greedy with demands.

tdunk21
07-01-2010, 04:13 PM

no way

Bruno
07-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Nets also want to dump Kris Humphries who has a $3.2M expiring contract.

A S&T like:
RJ (5/40) + Hairston + Jerrels for Humphries + picks + $3M in cash could be great.

Spurs would get a $5M TE. Humphries whole salary would be almost paid with the cash. Picks could be a couple of good second round pick or a lottery protected first round pick.

Nets get RJ for a cost of only $3.4M in cap space.

timvp
07-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I was saying the Spurs should not get greedy with demands.

Oh, that "really?" threw me off. But yeah, if RJ is going, the Spurs have to do what it takes to get a trade exception.

angelbelow
07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Humphries has always been a nice player. Not a starter/consistent role player but one who is willing to work hard out and fill the energy bench role. Wouldnt mind having him at all.

Slomo
Sorry to change topics, but is there a way to ignore/not to see posts from particular users?

Control Panel -> Edit Ignore list

jiggy_55

I don't see how/why it would be a sign and trade.. What woukd NY get out of it? Their likely not getting any free agents lol and have money to spend..

Please elaborate.. If we can get wilson chandler, I'd trade him right now :)! But I just don't see this happening. Its becoming more apparent that this was not a coordinated opt out with SA, looks like he wants to leave. I didn't think this till after reading the latest piece from Yahoo

lurker23
Thanks, Mel_13, Bruno, timvp, etc. I swear, on a scale of 1 to 10, I used to be about a 6 or 7 on CBA knowledge. Apparently that has taken about a 50% cut when my brain exploded a few hours ago.

Is it too early to start drinking? :drunk

timvp

A S&T like:
RJ (5/40) + Hairston + Jerrels for Humphries + picks + $3M in cash could be great.

Spurs would get a $5M TE. Humphries whole salary would be almost paid with the cash. Picks could be a couple of good second round pick or a lottery protected first round pick.

Great work :tu

Yeah, something like that is what the Spurs should be able to do with an RJ S&T. A $5 million TE would be enough to find an RJ replacement.

MaNu4Tres
Hold the phone..

Bron has the Nets as the front-runners. If Bron goes to NJ, that takes away the Nets from all of these proposals.

peacemaker885
07-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Control Panel -> Edit Ignore list

Thanks Slomo! Its just that with getting older, have to watch out for the blood pressure ;-)

benefactor
07-01-2010, 04:17 PM

A S&T like:

Humphries and a 5mil TE for RJ? Yes please.

objective
07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
You realize the Spurs are screwed if RJ walks?

Screwed out of what? Playoff performances of 33 minutes a game with 9 points a game along with mediocre at best defense, soft hustle, and refusal to step out beyond the three point line?

S/T would be awesome. If he walks straight up I'm not going to cry about a single digit playoff underperformer.

Duncan2177
07-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Richard Jefferson doesn’t have a deal with the San Antonio Spurs and would prefer to return to the New York area to play for the Knicks or Nets, league sources told Y! Sports.

Jefferson is seeking a multiyear contract that averages in the range of $8 million-$10 million, sources said. He opted out of the $15 million final season of his contract with the Spurs on Tuesday.

Jefferson has built a good relationship with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, but doesn’t think the team’s system best fits his skills.

The Spurs could still try to sign Jefferson to a contract that lowers their luxury-tax hit, depending on what other options they find in free agency.

What a bitch.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Great work :tu

Yeah, something like that is what the Spurs should be able to do with an RJ S&T. A $5 million TE would be enough to find an RJ replacement.

Not to get greedy, but it would be nice to get a TE of at least $6.4 million, which would bring into play guys who got the full MLE last season, and now teams regret it. Not that the Rockets would ever help us out, but guys like Trevor Ariza come to mind.

Gino20
07-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I am on the fence as far as RJ goes at this point.

Anyway, can someone please explain to me how exactly a TE works? Who would be a realistic option with this TE?

Thanks in advance!

:flag::lobt2:

benefactor
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Hold the phone..

Bron has the Nets as the front-runners. If Bron goes to NJ, that takes away the Nets from all of these proposals.
The Nets would only use up 3.4 million in cap space in a deal like Bruno suggested. They would still have enough to max out LeBron.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2010, 04:22 PM
spurs could throw in up to 3 million right?

Why would they? "Here, take our starting small forward and here's 3 mil to boot."

Think ducks.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 04:22 PM
The Nets would only use up 3.4 million in cap space in a deal like Bruno suggested. They would still have enough to max out LeBron.

I doubt New Jersey would want to commit 8 million a year on Jefferson, if they signed Bron. They already have Williams as a very capable back up.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Why would they? "Here, take our starting small forward and here's 3 mil to boot."

Think ducks.

They might not have to, but if the options for the Spurs are letting RJ walk for nothing, or throwing a little money at another team in order to get a crucial trade exception, they might choose the latter.

silk
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Jefferson and James plays the same spot. It's more realist Jefferson is their Plan B if James goes elsewhere

I like bruno's deal a lot, but i think Jay Z and Prokhorov efforts could very well pay off. So a deal with the knicks and D'Antoni is more probable in my eyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
I don't see how/why it would be a sign and trade.. What woukd NY get out of it? Their likely not getting any free agents lol and have money to spend..

They have money. FAs will go where the money is to get paid. This shouldn't be a hard concept to understand.

ace3g
ofcourse I'm starting to like the trade exemption now, could go after a restricted FA like Josh Childress.

Or someone like Travis Outlaw who is young and still has a lot of upside.

scottspurs
What kind of shape do you think Bruce Bowen is in?

5in10
S&t for Chandler?

ace3g
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
or use that TE on someone like Kyle Korver, Mike Miller.

Also another question, can a TE be split between 2 players? or only used on one?

Bruno
07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Not to get greedy, but it would be nice to get a TE of at least $6.4 million, which would bring into play guys who got the full MLE last season, and now teams regret it. Not that the Rockets would ever help us out, but guys like Trevor Ariza come to mind.

Well, you can also add Gee and Temple to the trade to create a bigger TE but Spurs may want to keep some of Gee/Temple/Hairston/Jerrels.

You can also imagine a 3 way trade.

Spurs get Humphries + a SF + $3M for RJ + Hairston + Jerrells
Nets get RJ + Hairston + Jerrells fro Humphries + $3M
3rd team get TE for a SF.

Add picks to balance the trade.

In that scenario and with RJ starting salary at $6.6M, Spurs can get a SF paid $7.2M.

Bruno
07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
or use that TE on someone like Kyle Korver, Mike Miller.

Also another question, can a TE be split between 2 players? or only used on one?

A TE can be split.

silk
07-01-2010, 04:30 PM
TimVP predicts quite well usually ( cf last Mavs playoff series ), what would you predict TIMVP ? A trade exception from the nets ? And what player could you see us get with it ?

4down
07-01-2010, 04:30 PM
And just a few days ago there were dreams of Rudy Gay....

tdunk21
07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
wow RJ continues to piss off spurs fans....

baseline bum
07-01-2010, 04:33 PM
A sign and trade for a trade exception is pretty much a best case scenario since Dick opted out. I'd love to do it without taking Humphries, but if that's what the Nets want, Spurs gotta play ball to get that exception.

silk
07-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I actually like Humphries, seems like a spur

pad300
Who here would take on Curry's contract to get Chandler from the Knicks?

ducks

Think ducks.

to get the other team to do a sign and trade think aggie think aggie

Spursfan 87
The only player I like from NJ is Damion James

ducks
07-01-2010, 04:37 PM
And just a few days ago there were dreams of Rudy Gay....

not my the smarter spur fans
they knew he would be to much but not the max:lol

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Well, you can also add Gee and Temple to the trade to create a bigger TE but Spurs may want to keep some of Gee/Temple/Hairston/Jerrels.

You can also imagine a 3 way trade.

Spurs get Humphries + a SF + $3M for RJ + Hairston + Jerrells
Nets get RJ + Hairston + Jerrells fro Humphries + $3M
3rd team get TE for a SF.

Add picks to balance the trade.

In that scenario and with RJ starting salary at $6.6M, Spurs can get a SF paid $7.2M.
They can have all of those guys if they want them. Fine by me. D-leaguers are a dime a dozen.
The problem is that the Nets don't have a lot of player's under contract. So, this would all be dependent upon a guy like Humphries (for example) agreeing to a S&T because he doesn't think he could do better on the open market.
Terrence Williams isn't bad as a backup SF, has a decent contract and the Spurs could use the TE to find a starter.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
A sign and trade for a trade exception is pretty much a best case scenario since Dick opted out. I'd love to do it without taking Humphries, but if that's what the Nets want, Spurs gotta play ball to get that exception.

I agree, although at 3M he becomes the 5th big and almost eliminates any chance of Bonner returning.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 04:40 PM
They can have all of those guys if they want them. Fine by me. D-leaguers are a dime a dozen.
The problem is that the Nets don't have a lot of player's under contract. So, this would all be dependent upon a guy like Humphries (for example) agreeing to a S&T because he doesn't think he could do better on the open market.
Terrence Williams isn't bad as a backup SF, has a decent contract and the Spurs could use the TE to find a starter.

Humphries already picked up his option, he's under contract.

Bruno
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Humphries isn't a FA.

Nets are under the cap, they don't need to match salaries.

Brazil
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I just want RJ makes up his mind quick because in few days all the players we could take with the TE will be gone like Miller

ace3g
07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
If the Spurs trade RJ to you NY or NJ and get a Trade Exception (worth around 5-7 million) essentially another MLE amount, I'm now expanding my SF list to some of the restricted FA:

Matt Barnes
Josh Childress
Mike Miller
Kyle Korver
Travis Outlaw
Rasual Butler
Ryan Gomes

silk
It's not so much RJ than NJ and NY and even before them LBJ that have to make up their mind quick

Creation88
Korver wont' command that much and was the best 3 pt shooter last year...

Mhak
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Lets be realistic!!! Some of you guys wishes for him to go but face it there isnt a good SF than RJ in the market. Sure he didnt fit but i still think he is better SF out in the market..

Some of you guys are Ridiculous stating that Malik Hairston, Alonzo Gee are legit but they are just scrub. They havent made any names of themself but to only to spurs fan. There is nothing here but emptiness.

When RJ leaves its a big whole for us specially against the lakers. We need a player that is athletic and can't be push around by artest (he is still a good help for their defense). Also to relieve our big three if one of them are checked by defenders.

Seventyniner
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
What would Washington want from the Spurs to sign-and-trade Mike Miller to the Spurs (using the hypothetical trade exception)? Would this be a way to get a higher-priced SF?

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I just want RJ makes up his mind quick because in few days all the players we could take with the TE will be gone like Miller

It won't be til after LeBron makes a decision.

Both of NJ and NY want LeBron and they won't make any other moves until Bron decides.

This Jefferson situation should play out til at least July 5th.

Creation88
Woj on Childress

As Atlanta closes its check book and elite small forwards don’t change in free agency, there’s a perfect storm starting to develop for Childress. A versatile 6-foot-8 forward, Childress could find himself courted by the Knicks, Nets and Clippers and multiple more teams. He could command as much as $7 million-$8 million annually in a contract.

scottspurs
Can this trade exception some how produce Anthony Morrow

pjjrfan
don't want RJ here. if it's a sign and trade that'd be great but i'm perfectly fine with him leaving. period.

I'm with you. LIke the guy didn't screw us already with his crappy play and attitude.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Humphries already picked up his option, he's under contract.

I did not know that. Donald Rumsfeld is in charge of my intell. You're fired, Rummy!

Anyway, what do you guys think about Williams?

Bruno
07-01-2010, 04:47 PM

If Spurs take back Humphries in a RJ S&T and even if they add $3M in cash, Nets should add a little sweetener. Damion James could be that sweetener.

hsxvvd
07-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Ime Udoka LLE!

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Humphries isn't a FA.

Nets are under the cap, they don't need to match salaries.

I didn't say anything about matching salaries, bub.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
ofcourse I'm starting to like the trade exemption now, could go after a restricted FA like Josh Childress.

Or someone like Travis Outlaw who is young and still has a lot of upside.

Trade exceptions can only be used in trades for already signed players, not for free agents.

Edit: I suppose it could work to pick up another player via S&T, but it doesn't seem likely.

baseline bum
I agree, although at 3M he becomes the 5th big and almost eliminates any chance of Bonner returning.

Nice. I guess there is a silver lining to it. :lol

ohmwrecker
If Spurs take back Humphries in a RJ S&T and even if they add $3M in cash, Nets should add a little sweetener. Damion James could be that sweetener.

I really don't see the Nets throwing in Damion James.

JP le Requin
07-01-2010, 04:54 PM
and mike miller instead RJ??

DesignatedT
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Terrance Williams is a great prospect from NJ and he's a SF.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Right. That was kind of my point. Although, I do like the idea that Humphries would bump out Bonner.

benefactor
07-01-2010, 05:02 PM
That would actually make more sense for NJ. I don't know it they would part with him though.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2010, 05:02 PM
0 for 2?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157595

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I like TW a lot. He showed some serious flashes of talent. He would be an excellent pick up in my opinion.

MannyIsGod
So basically right now Joe Johnson resigning would be a good thing and Lebron going to someplace like Chicago would be a good thing too.

Nice.

DPG21920
I don't care what it is for. Just no long term deal for RJ. Please.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2010, 05:04 PM
The idea of getting a nice trade exception seems grand. The money some small forwards have been getting speaks well to getting RJ overpaid. The more overpaid he is in a SnT the better.

4down
07-01-2010, 05:05 PM
not my the smarter spur fans
they knew he would be to much but not the max:lol

haha yeah - now even the psychotic pipe dreams of many are being dashed

Bruno
07-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I really don't see the Nets throwing in Damion James.

It makes more sense for Nets to trade Damion James than TW because TW can also play SG.

Brazil
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Trade exceptions can only be used in trades for already signed players, not for free agents.

Edit: I suppose it could work to pick up another player via S&T, but it doesn't seem likely.

Well I think I need a little help here.

So I cannot use the TE for signing a free agent (restricted or not I suppose) ? I also suppose I cannot sign Tiago with the TE, right ?

sorry for the dumb questions but I'm not an expert on TE stuff.

Booharv
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Humphries has always been a nice player. Not a starter/consistent role player but one who is willing to work hard out and fill the energy bench role. Wouldnt mind having him at all.

tbh I don't know if you're confusing him with someone else but Humphries has established a pretty well deserved reputation as a chucker ball hog who shoots nearly every time he gets the ball. His usage rates for a player in his role and with his efficiency/TS% is jarring. He has skills as a rebounder/complimentary scorer but he has always forced way too many shots.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:07 PM
TW is surely better than James. He is a better scorer and as Bruno said, can definitely play two positions.

I don't see them parting with either. It would be nice. I would just like a TE.

When is the earliest this can get done, the 8th?

DesignatedT
07-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Terrance Williams is an absolute monster athletically. If the Spurs could somehow trade RJ for him I would be extremely happy.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I think I need a little help here.

So I cannot use the TE for signing a free agent (restricted or not I suppose) ? I also suppose I cannot sign Tiago with the TE, right ?

sorry for the dumb questions but I'm not an expert on TE stuff.

A "TE" stands for a Trade Exception. You can only use it in trades, not signing FA's. It is not like an exception (MLE) and only works through a trade.

It really just functions as a hold for trading a player. This happens because teams under the cap, don't have to match salaries in a trade. It gives the team who traded a chance to maintain their cap level.

Does that help?

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Terrance Williams is an absolute monster athletically. If the Spurs could somehow trade RJ for him I would be extremely happy.

Real talk. I would be happy with just a TW and RJ swap. If the Spurs also got a TE with that, pffffffffffffff.

ducks
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Josh Childress would be great! but would he want to come to the spurs
rumors are boston is afteer him

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:14 PM
A "TE" stands for a Trade Exception. You can only use it in trades, not signing FA's. It is not like an exception (MLE) and only works through a trade.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's right. A trade exception is just like any other exception and can be used on a FA signing.

Booharv
07-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Terrence Williams would be a very, very bad fit. He has tons of athletic skills and some playmaking skills, but he is an absolutely horrific outside shooter. Since TP and Manu are creators he would be useless when they have the ball in the half court except for cutting to the basket.

He would be best served playingwith perimeter shooters around him, so that he could create off the dribble and they could space the floor for him not the other way around.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's right. A trade exception is just like any other exception and can be used on a FA signing.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q71

"

Here is an example of a non-simultaneous trade: a team trades away a $2 million player for a $1 million player. Sometime in the next year, they trade a draft pick (with zero trade value itself) for a $1.1 million player to complete the earlier trade. They ended up acquiring $2.1 million in salary for their $2 million player -- they just didn't do it all at once, or even necessarily with the same trading partner.

In the above example, after the initial trade of the $2 million player for the $1 million player, it was like the team had a "credit" for one year, with which they could acquire up to $1.1 million in salaries without having to send out salaries to match. This credit is often referred to as a Traded Player exception or a trade exception, but be aware that the CBA uses the name "Traded Player exception" to refer to the entire exception which allows teams to make trades above the salary cap (including simultaneous trades, non-simultaneous trades, and base year compensation).

There are some common misconceptions about non-simultaneous trades. For one, teams cannot use a Traded Player exception to sign free agents; it can be used only to acquire existing contracts from other teams. For another, teams cannot combine a Traded Player exception with other exceptions (such as the Mid-Level exception or the 125% plus $100,000 margin from another trade) in order to trade for a more expensive player. For example, a team with a $1 million Traded Player exception cannot combine it with their $2 million player to trade for a $3 million player (see question number 74 for more information on combining exceptions). "

Very complicated, I know.

4down
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Could this have a bearing on signing Splitter? Would it be possible he takes up a TE rather than MLE, which would now go toward a 3?

I imagine those amounts couldn't be split, In the case of signing a new player, regardless of how much of a TE the Spurs could create, or is that not the case?

objective
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM

yes, you are wrong

objective
07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Could this have a bearing on signing Splitter? Would it be possible he takes up a TE rather than MLE, hich would go toward a 3? I imagine those amounts couldn't be split, regardless of how much of a TE the Spurs could create?

trade exception can only be used in trades

There wouldn't really be much of a difference though with Splitter. It would still be the MLE for Splitter assuming the Spurs don't cheap out on him, and the availability of the Trade Exception to land a small forward.

DesignatedT
07-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Real talk. I would be happy with just a TW and RJ swap. If the Spurs also got a TE with that, pffffffffffffff.

That's real talk for sure. TW makes rj look like danny ferry.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
yes, you are wrong

And, you are a douchebag.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I think you can use a TE in a sign & trade, but I am not even sure about that....That would kind of be like using it on a FA.

objective
07-01-2010, 05:23 PM
wasn't Terrence Williams a strong candidate for being mentally ill? I seem to remember that at draft time he had a rep for not being all there.

4down
07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
trade exception can only be used in trades

There wouldn't really be much of a difference though with Splitter. It would still be the MLE for Splitter assuming the Spurs don't cheap out on him, and the availability of the Trade Exception to land a small forward.

Roger. Thanks for clarifying

tdunk21
07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
s&t RJ for randolph and morrow?

objective
07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
And, you are a douchebag.

why? Because you put it out there that you 'could be wrong' and actually were?

:lol

Mark in Austin
07-01-2010, 05:27 PM
:tu S&T involving Wilson Chandler

long shot, fantasy gm move.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:27 PM
So, the trade exception is more of a long-term benefit? How exactly could the Spurs use that as an immediate help?

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:28 PM
why? Because you put it out there that you 'could be wrong' and actually were?

No, because I said myself that I could be wrong and you felt it necessary to point it out again.:lol

franceout
07-01-2010, 05:30 PM
sign tmac with LLE, could be a steal.

Das Texan
07-01-2010, 05:30 PM

so much for what TPark said.

Brazil
07-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks DPG and objective ! now that's clear

lurker23
07-01-2010, 05:31 PM
So, the trade exception is more of a long-term benefit? How exactly could the Spurs use that as an immediate help?

If the Spurs got, say, an $8 million TE, they could trade for a player making $1-8 million this year without really giving anything up. The other team would do this for financial reasons.

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 05:32 PM
They have money. FAs will go where the money is to get paid. This shouldn't be a hard concept to understand.

My question is about a sign and trade, you didn't address that. Why would they help the Spurs? As we both agree, they have money. They don't need a sign and trade. They can probably sign RJ to a big contract since I don't see any of the major FA's heading there (doesn't look they'll be getting anyone that significant right now), while also keeping their own players. The Knicks have no incentive to throw in someone unless they can actually get some big time FA.

As for the Nets, their big time players for Lebron and nothing will happen there for RJ until LBJ makes his decision.

clubalien
07-01-2010, 05:33 PM

it lets us trade with people that don
t have cap space and don't want rj.

lets say we sign and trade rj and get an exemption. we then can trade with lakers for ron artest. we didn;t give them anything besides an exemption and we then can have our new starting player.

sjax or anyone else if a team wants to trade with us.

ohmwrecker
If the Spurs got, say, an $8 million TE, they could trade for a player making $1-8 million this year without really giving anything up. The other team would do this for financial reasons.

Righto. Thanks for clarifying that without being condescending.

So, it's like a placeholder, for lack of a better term.

Seventyniner
My question is about a sign and trade, you didn't address that. Why would they help the Spurs? As we both agree, they have money. They don't need a sign and trade. They can probably sign RJ to a big contract since I don't see any of the major FA's heading there (doesn't look they'll be getting anyone that significant right now), while also keeping their own players. The Knicks have no incentive to throw in someone unless they can actually get some big time FA.

As for the Nets, their big time players for Lebron and nothing will happen there for RJ until LBJ makes his decision.

Bruno already explained this: the Spurs can give bigger raises than any other team, so RJ could get the same money starting with a smaller salary, saving the Nets or Knicks valuable cap space.

Bruno
07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Lebron needs to make his choice quickly. I'm sure he's thrilled to be the center of attention but he is freezing the whole free agency. Nets won't consider adding RJ as long as they think they have a shot at Lebron.

objective
No, because I said myself that I could be wrong and you felt it necessary to point it out again.:lol

I wasn't 'pointing it out again', the other post hadn't been put up with the cap faq quote when I was writing my post.

You were operating under a misconception. I was letting you know that, no need to be so sensitive.

lurker23
Not that Spurs fans should expect anything this lucrative, but here's an example of trade exceptions at work:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943588

SEATTLE -- The Seattle SuperSonics acquired veteran forward Kurt Thomas and the Phoenix Suns' first-round draft choices in 2008 and 2010 on Friday in exchange for a conditional second-round draft choice.

Seattle also sent Phoenix its $8 million trade exception to complete the deal. The Sonics gained the exception from Orlando earlier this month when they completed a sign-and-trade deal that sent Rashard Lewis to the Magic.

smrattler
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM

For their own good, to get rid of players that might become redundent or they're trying to get rid of anyway (bad contracts?). IDK...

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Bruno already explained this: the Spurs can give bigger raises than any other team, so RJ could get the same money starting with a smaller salary, saving the Nets or Knicks valuable cap space.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Das Texan
07-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Dick wont purposely fuck over the Spurs.

He will go in a S&T if he signs for anything over the mid level.

Win/win for everyone. He gets more coin, Spurs get the ability to use that salary slot still.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Trade exceptions are valid for up to 365 days after the trade. So it could be used right away or kept for later in the season or even after the season.

Main rule is that the salary of a player acquired with a TE must fit into the amount of the TE plus 100K.

So, if the Spurs get a 6.1M TE in an RJ trade, they can acquire a player from another team whose 2010-11 salary is no more than 6.2M.

Spurs would try to find players that may not be wanted by their current team because of salary or fit or both. That 6.1M TE could get you Mo Petersen (6.2M), but not James Posey (6.5M), for example.

You also can't combine two smaller TEs to get one higher priced player.

objective
07-01-2010, 05:37 PM

it can be traded for a long term contract, but the exception itself expires after a term of 12 months.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I wasn't 'pointing it out again', the other post hadn't been put up with the cap faq quote when I was writing my post.

You were operating under a misconception. I was letting you know that, no need to be so sensitive.

You didn't need to say it at all. It was redundant.

I got my question answered without the condescending bullshit, but thanks anyway.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Lebron needs to make his choice quickly. I'm sure he's thrilled to be the center of attention but he is freezing the whole free agency. Nets won't consider adding RJ as long as they think they have a shot at Lebron.

As an aside, I'm sure Spurs fans and the Spurs front office thought they would avoid the excitement and/or mayhem that is the "Summer of LeBron." We thought the most interesting thing would be Tiago Splitter's decision. Now we're just as caught up in it as the teams with cap space. I'm not particularly happy about it, but at least it gives us something to talk about. :lol

slick'81
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
god i just want this to all end tonight lol

Fpoonsie
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM

I got my question answered without the condescending bullshit, but thanks anyway.

Wow.

For the sake of your vagina, don't EVER visit the NBA forum.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Wow.

For the sake of your vagina, don't EVER visit the NBA forum.

What?! Who the fuck are you? I'm not upset at all. Just trying to have a conversation.

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 05:42 PM
McDonald:

http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/17525528799

Just posted to mysa.com. No deal yet, but Jefferson's return to #spurs looking imminent. http://bit.ly/agdsAq

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 05:44 PM
McDonald:

Just posted to mysa.com. No deal yet, but Jefferson's return to #spurs looking imminent. http://bit.ly/agdsAq

If true, it would be the first time Mac was right and Woj was wrong about something Spurs-related.

Whiplash is starting to set in.

lurker23
07-01-2010, 05:45 PM
McDonald:

"One unconfirmed report Thursday had Jefferson poised to sign a three-year, $30 million with the Spurs. Another had the terms at five years for $45 million, with the final season likely only partially guaranteed."

:td

benefactor
07-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Don't bother following McDonald on twitter. I could give you info that is just as good.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:46 PM
That's a little more than I had hoped.

Seventyniner
07-01-2010, 05:46 PM
"One unconfirmed report Thursday had Jefferson poised to sign a three-year, $30 million with the Spurs. Another had the terms at five years for $45 million, with the final season likely only partially guaranteed."

Ouch. Both of those deals are bad.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Ouch. Both of those deals are bad.

Yeah, hopefully the report is true, but the details are false.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:48 PM

It really just functions as a hold for trading a player. This happens because teams under the cap, don't have to match salaries in a trade. It gives the team who traded a chance to maintain their cap level.

Does that help?

Righto. Thanks for clarifying that without being condescending.

So, it's like a placeholder, for lack of a better term.

Do you just tune me out? :lol

slick'81
07-01-2010, 05:48 PM
5 years gtfoutta here

Agloco
07-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Trade exceptions are valid for up to 365 days after the trade. So it could be used right away or kept for later in the season or even after the season.

Main rule is that the salary of a player acquired with a TE must fit into the amount of the TE plus 100K.

So, if the Spurs get a 6.1M TE in an RJ trade, they can acquire a player from another team whose 2010-11 salary is no more than 6.2M.

Spurs would try to find players that may not be wanted by their current team because of salary or fit or both. That 6.1M TE could get you Mo Petersen (6.2M), but not James Posey (6.5M), for example.

Can you split it?

Say as in the above example the Spurs get 6.1mil for RJ, can they then go out and get one player at, say, 2.5 and another at 3.7?

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 05:49 PM

The fact that he has 2 "sources" reporting 2 separate deals leads me to think it seems he has some info. I mean could both reports be completely wrong? What are the odds? The Spurs and RJ seem to be definitely talking about re-signing, not a sign and trade if this is true.
LOL I think this changes by the hour according to the reports we here.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Do you just tune me out? :lol

Honestly? A little bit.

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 05:50 PM

You walk around calling people "bub" all the time and were condescending to me all day yesterday even though I was explaining myself to you.

Lighten it up a little.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Can you split it?

Say as in the above example the Spurs get 6.1mil for RJ, can they then go out and get one player at, say, 2.5 and another at 3.7?

Yes

Gino2882
07-01-2010, 05:52 PM
What would be wrong with the 3 year 30 million dollar deal? I think Jefferson is gonna be very successful next year.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 05:53 PM
5 years gtfoutta here

Last year would be partially guaranteed.

It really isn't all that bad TBH.

galvatron3000
07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
So is this the season the Spurs and Knicks rub elbows for the plane ride the Knicks gave the Spurs back in 2008 or was it last year?

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 05:55 PM
You walk around calling people "bub" all the time and were condescending to me all day yesterday even though I was explaining myself to you.

Lighten it up a little.

I don't think I was condescending to you. We were having a difference of opinion that seemed to have lost it's focus. I think I just got tired of arguing with you so I did kind of tune you out.

I apologize. Sincerely. And, I usually say bubba.

Seventyniner
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Can you split it?

Sorry, gotta be the math nit. 2.5 + 3.7 = 6.2, so it wouldn't be possible. :toast

Muser
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
So the Spurs are actually looking to re-sign him?

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 06:00 PM

I want to see why you think long-term RJ is good for the Spurs. I just don't see it.

murpjf88

Jefferson's already shown signs of regression. He is untradeable at that price. He's already 30. What the hell are they gonna do with him in 2 to 3 years?

dbestpro
I keep getting this creeping feeliing that this is part of a CIA plan to send Parker and RJ to NY.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 06:01 PM
So the Spurs are actually looking to re-sign him?

I don't see any other way out of this deal. It's actually pretty cool of Jefferson to opt out and re-sign with us for a deal that benefits the Spurs. It's weird that nobody is giving him props for that.

If that's what is happening, of course.

ducks
07-01-2010, 06:06 PM

said by monday he will decide

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Jefferson's already shown signs of regression. He is untradeable at that price. He's already 30. What the hell are they gonna do with him in 2 to 3 years?

I think regression is a strong word. He came out of a year in Milwaukee where the team wasn't defensively focused, he handled the ball a lot more and was the #1 0r 2 option 90% of the time.

Pop's system required a completely different mindset and he was under a lot of pressure to perform big because of his contract. Not to mention being forced to play PF a lot, learning a new playbook, having to defer to new teammates while being yelled at that he was deferring too much.

If it's true that Pop is working with him this off season, then I have got to believe that they think they can make him fit in next year.

If not, S&T.

murpjf88
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I think regression is a strong word. He came out of a year in Milwaukee where the team wasn't defensively focused, he handled the ball a lot more and was the #1 0r 2 option 90% of the time.

Pop's system required a completely different mindset and he was under a lot of pressure to perform big because of his contract. Not to mention being forced to play PF a lot, learning a new playbook, having to defer to new teammates while being yelled at that he was deferring too much.

If it's true that Pop is working with him this off season, then I have got to believe that they think they can make him fit in next year.

If not, S&T.

I don't see the Spurs changing their style of play to suit the 4th best player on the team. So either he gets it this year or the Spurs are pretty much out of options unless they can get a miracle player in return for TP at the trade deadline. I personally would like to keep TP unless CP3 was involved.

Edit: If he has another down year like this year, his trade value will be severely compromised.

jag
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I think there's one thing everyone can agree on. Richard Jefferson is not worth all this trouble. That guy is a diva.

Creation88
07-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I think there's one thing everyone can agree on. Richard Jefferson is not worth all this trouble. That guy is a diva.

correct if i'm wrong but wasn't it just yesterday that you wanted him here? :jack

jag
07-01-2010, 06:50 PM
correct if i'm wrong but wasn't it just yesterday that you wanted him here? :jack

You have the mind of a child...a really slow, mentally challenged child.

Simply put:

-RJ > no RJ and nothing in return
-RJ > Hairston, Gee, jerrells, james jones or whichever unnamed d-league scrub you're convinced can give you 12+ and 5 every game
-RJ has his faults, but by simple math, a SF is better than no SF. 1 > 0
-Just because i'd like to see him back doesn't mean he's worth all this fuss. This is Richard Jefferson, not Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili.

Creation88
07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
You have the mind of a child...a really slow, mentally challenged child.

Simply put:

-RJ > no RJ and nothing in return
-RJ > Hairston, Gee, jerrells, james jones or whichever unnamed d-league scrub you're convinced can give you 12+ and 5 every game
-RJ has his faults, but by simple math, a SF is better than no SF. 1 > 0
-Just because i'd like to see him back doesn't mean he's worth all this fuss. This is Richard Jefferson, not Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili.

he's a diva but you want him back? that's mentally challenged if i've ever heard of it. you think he's not worth the trouble yet you want him here at the same time?

make up your mind.

chemistry is BETTER w/o Jefferson. Period.

Mugen
07-01-2010, 06:58 PM

i think the only thing everyone can agree on is that Creation88 needs some fucking reading comprehension skills.

jag
07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
he's a diva but you want him back? that's mentally challenged if i've ever heard of it. you think he's not worth the trouble yet you want him here at the same time?

make up your mind.

chemistry is BETTER w/o Jefferson. Period.

Chemistry is better when teams have a SF.

Thomas82
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Like I said a few times, I'm partial to Derrick Favors myself, and we do need another big to compliment Tim Duncan. Plus I don't think the Nets plan to keep him anyway. If they can get Amare or Boozer, I think that increases their chances of trading him. IMO, the Spurs need to see what it would take to get his rights from New Jersey.

Agloco
07-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Can you split it?

Sorry, gotta be the math nit. 2.5 + 3.7 = 6.2, so it wouldn't be possible. :toast

It's quite complicated so I won't flame ya. Yeah theres an additional 100k that you have to play with.

Creation88
07-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Chemistry is better when teams have a SF.

positions in the NBA are a formality. Jefferson played outta position for most of the season anyway. Duncan played center. big deal.

Seventyniner
07-01-2010, 07:31 PM
It's quite complicated so I won't flame ya. Yeah theres an additional 100k that you have to play with.

I appreciate it. :toast

I thought that both the 10% and 100k stuff only applied when both teams were over the cap; I didn't think TEs were subject to those rules (looks like TEs can be off up to 100k, but the 10% rule doesn't apply).

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
I want to see why you think long-term RJ is good for the Spurs. I just don't see it.

1) Finding a better piece is really hard to find.

Which I've stated here:

Trading Richard Jefferson's contract for a "better fit" is virtually impossible to do.

There's less than a handful of guys out there to begin with that are a great fit for the Spurs. Three criteria exists for such a player IMO:
1) Defensive oriented- great one on one perimeter defender
2) Can hit the three with consistency
3) Long enough to be as effective guarding the longer, taller wings in the league such as( Melo, Durant, LeBron, Roy, Kobe, Joe Johnson ect.)

Wings 6'7 and above (exception Lee)on the top of my head that exhibit one criteria (defensive oriented):In order IMO

1. Thabo Sefolosha
2. Luc Mbah a Moute
3. Trevor Ariza
4. Gerald Wallace
5. Shane Battier
6. Stephen Jackson
7. Courtney Lee
8. Nicolas Batum
9. Ronnie Brewer
10. Martell Webster

Now you filter those guys into the category: Can spread the floor by shooting the 3 ball with consistency.

1. Thabo Sefolosha (barely)
3. Trevor Ariza
5. Shane Battier
6. Stephen Jackson
7. Courtney Lee
8. Nicolas Batum
10. Martell Webster

Now lets see how available these 7 guys are:

1. Thabo Sefolosha- Signed a very cheap-valued extension with the Thunder that runs through 2014. Virtually impossible to pry away from Thunder. Only makes roughly 3 million a year. Virtually untouchable.
2. Trevor Ariza- IMO was underpaid by the Rockets with the MLE. Highly doubt Rockets are looking to trade him due to his relatively cheap contract for the amount of production he puts on the court on both ends. Most likely not available
3. Shane Battier - Could be available at the trade deadline if Rockets aren't in contention due to his expiring contract. Won't know his availability til mid-February. Even so it's less likely Morey gives such a valuable piece to a division rival.
4. Stephen Jackson- Leading the Bobcats to the playoffs for the first time makes him virtually untouchable being owned by Jordan's competitive spirit, unless Bobcats are the Nets of the league by the trading deadline. Then Bobcats may consider parting ways with their long-term expensive contracts. (Won't know his availability til mid-February)
5. Courtney Lee - Still on a very cheap rookie scale salary. His productivity output surpasses his salary by a wide margin. Making his availability less likely.
6. Nicolas Batum- See above
7. Martell Webster- Has a contract that pays him 4.8 next year and 5.2 the next with a team option for the 3rd year in 2013. Could be trade-able with the improvement of Batum, if they draft a wing with the 22nd pick. They were interested in Jefferson at the 2009 trading deadline. Jefferson plus 20th pick for Webster+Pryzbilla's expiring(player value insignificant with torn patella tendon)+ maybe Fernandez or Cunningham may get the Blazers to think for at least a second. (Possibly available)

As you can see there's virtually no "better fit's" out there that are realistically possible for the Spurs to attain.

All in all, Spurs fan's underestimated the value Bruce Bowen brought to the Spurs. He was a key component in the efficient well-oiled machine on both ends of the court that lasted from 2003 to 2008. Looking for such a player will be virtually impossible to attain.

IMO With this reasoning Spurs are better off keeping Jefferson. Perhaps a summer with Chip can do wonders for his confidence and revitalize the 40% clip he shot from the distance with the Bucks just a year ago.

In regard of the thread...

3. The improvement of Richard Jefferson. Sick Chip Engelland on him the entire summer and revamp his confidence. A more consistent Jefferson on the offensive end would do wonders for his overall hustle and activity on the defensive end.

2) The trade exception won't guarantee the Spurs a replacement at SF. To be honest pretty much the only realistic options for BOTH sides that actually makes the Spurs better are Corey Brewer, Michael Pietrus, Martell Webster( to a degree) and maybe Kellen Azubuke. Francisco Garcia and James Posey are possible, but I don't think the Spurs will be willing to use the trade exceptions on an overpaid player for multiple years in Garcia(which would be more of a gamble). And I don't think they would use their trade exception on a 33 year old, who has played like he's 38 the past 2 seasons. Not to mention paying him for two more seasons.

There is no guarantee the Spurs can accomoddate this vital need at the SF position via trading exception.

3) Last year was perhaps the worst year we will see from Jefferson (in terms of picture perfect Bruce Bowen-like fit), he has shown he has the capability to be a legitimate threat from 3. This aspect will do wonders for the team as a whole and for himself, if he improves on it. ( which he should because it was totally non-existent the last 3 months of the year; any progress would help.) I personally think he can improve on the aspects to improve the team as a whole. I've seen it from him in the past, which makes me believe it is possible.

4) 8-9 million dollars per year is great value for the player Jefferson is, even if he wasn't the picture perfect fit for the Spurs. He has proved in his past he has the ability to be a great fit by shooting 40% from three in 292 attempts just a year ago. Spurs aren't going to find a better player with the LLE. And counting on the trade exception to net a better fit is like betting on the 00 on the roulette wheel. ( It's a far fetched gamble at best to get the other side to agree on letting go of a player that fits the Spurs the best.) Resigning Jefferson would guarantee the Spurs a viable option at the small forward position and gives the Spurs a better chance to compete for the championship the next 2 seasons. This also still saves Holt mucho dinero for the upcoming season.

FWIW(Spurs just paid around 9 million this year on Mason/Bogans and Finley; and Spurs paid Barry, Udoka and Finley this same amount 2 years before the last two seasons.)

5)
People really under rate the production he brought to the Spurs as the 4th option.

Sure he wasn't the "picture perfect fit", and sure he didn't average the 20 points he averaged in Milwaukee, but those 20 points per game was impossible to produce with the scarce amount of opportunities he had playing behind the big 3.

Even if he was the 4th option, he still scored in double digits in 58 games last year (more than 15 points per game in 32 outings). And was instrumental in many victories, even in the playoffs.

About his defense, I know he wasn't Bruce Bowen on the defensive end, but the guy showed progress as the season progressed; not so much on the ball, but off the ball; especially in putting in the effort and contesting shots around the rim more effectively than any big man outside of Duncan. I'm not saying he was Dikembe Mutombo by any means; but he was progressively active in this regard, especially in the last few months of the season.

Overall saying he didn't do anything is foolish to say.

Without him the Spurs would have more than likely been a lottery team this past year. Fact is R.J gets too much of the blame for the Spurs' disappointing year. He was not the reason why the Spurs rubbed one out, so to speak.

There were other reasons why the Spurs failed when it was all said and done. Most notably, the lack of having an established clear cut 5th wing ( part of it was Pop's fault) and the lack of interior defense that doomed the Spurs in the end. Not so much Jefferson.

Pop stubbornly made the wrong choice for the team by investing in the wrong players (Mason, Bogans) all damn year. Even when these two players were atrocious for the last 3 months of the season, Pop didn't budge and stubbornly played the law of averages game. In the end, Pop put the team in a very vulnerable position from a depth standpoint by stubbornly giving Mason and Bogans the responsibility as the 5th wing. It made no sense to do this and still doesn't til this day.

As a result of Mason and Bogans maintaining their atrocious status, the Spurs back court and Jefferson were forced way too many minutes and it showed in their 4th quarter execution down the stretch ( even in the Dallas series ).

Pop should have given more responsibility and prepared Hairston or Temple somewhere in the last 2 months of the regular season, when Mason and Bogans were consistently horrid. (Believe it or not, Hairston and Temple had more productive minutes than Mason and Bogans did all season; even if they played less minutes. )

If Hairston or Temple would have panned out as a 5th wing, Spurs could have stretched their bench enough, which would've given Manu more gas at the end of games to " go for the throat", and Hill wouldn't have had as big of a responsibility offensively ( because of Manu and Tony having less but more efficient minutes, and more efficient touches). But Pop was too stubborn to find this out.

By no means am I blaming the year on Popovich, but he certainly could have made different decisions in regards of the rotation that could have put the Spurs in a better position to compete in the playoffs. Many people just point at R.J and blame him. I couldn't disagree more.

Hopefully now Splitter can come in to help the interior defense and hopefully Spurs can find a respectable replacement for R.J via trade ( less likely) or for the LLE. If not then I hope Hairston, Gee and Anderson are ready to contribute.

All in all, (worst case scenario) Spurs will have Jefferson for the next 3 years and because of his 4th year essentially being his expiring contract year ( because of the 5th year being non-guaranteed), Spurs can then use his valuable expiring in 3 years to add a player for the future, whenever that time comes. *For example, Spurs could trade Jefferson's expiring for another expiring and a decent prospect at a relative cheap price.

Just because Spurs may resign him for 5 years/45 million (last year non-guaranteed) doesn't necessarily mean Spurs are locked with him til the end. It's not like he is getting payed Gay or Joe Johnson money. 9-11 million should be a lot easier to move if the worst case scenario transpires.

All these reasons are the reasons why I think this is the best move for the Spurs. Without Jefferson, Spurs will be left with a trade exception (best case scenario), a sign and trade -netting a player that's worse than Jefferson, or the LLE to fill a vital role on the Spurs. And these situations doesn't necessarily guarantee talent in return for the Spurs.

Re-signing Jefferson does guarantee necessary talent to compete for a title, even if he isn't a picture perfect fit, he is more than likely the best the Spurs can acquire.

BobEX
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Really hope the Spurs don't resign RJ. Last season was a huge disappointment. A sign & trade would be fantastic, but even if the Spurs get nothing and have to go with the LLE or a D-leaguer at least they wouldn't be stuck with RJ for another 3 - 5 years.

Brazil
07-01-2010, 07:59 PM
1) Finding a better piece is really hard to find.

Which I've stated here:

2) The trade exception won't guarantee the Spurs a replacement at SF. To be honest pretty much the only realistic options for BOTH sides that actually makes the Spurs better are Corey Brewer, Michael Pietrus, Martell Webster( to a degree) and maybe Kellen Azubuke. Francisco Garcia and James Posey are possible, but I don't think the Spurs will be willing to use the trade exceptions on an overpaid player for multiple years in Garcia(which would be more of a gamble). And I don't think they would use their trade exception on a 33 year old, who has played like he's 38 the past 2 seasons. Not to mention paying him for two more seasons.

There is no guarantee the Spurs can accomoddate this vital need at the SF position via trading exception.

3) Last year was perhaps the worst year we will see from Jefferson (in terms of picture perfect Bruce Bowen-like fit), he has shown he has the capability to be a legitimate threat from 3. This aspect will do wonders for the team as a whole and for himself, if he improves on it. ( which he should because it was totally non-existent the last 3 months of the year; any progress would help.) I personally think he can improve on the aspects to improve the team as a whole. I've seen it from him in the past, which makes me believe it is possible.

4) 8-9 million dollars per year is great value for the player Jefferson is, even if he wasn't the picture perfect fit for the Spurs. He has proved in his past he has the ability to be a great fit by shooting 40% from three in 292 attempts just a year ago. Spurs aren't going to find a better player with the LLE. And counting on the trade exception to net a better fit is like betting on the 00 on the roulette wheel. ( It's a far fetched gamble at best to get the other side to agree on letting go of a player that fits the Spurs the best.) Resigning Jefferson would guarantee the Spurs a viable option at the small forward position and gives the Spurs a better chance to compete for the championship the next 2 seasons. This also still saves Holt mucho dinero for the upcoming season.

FWIW(Spurs just paid around 9 million this year on Mason/Bogans and Finley; and Spurs paid Barry, Udoka and Finley this same amount 2 years before the last two seasons.)

5)

All in all, (worst case scenario) Spurs will have Jefferson for the next 3 years and because of his 4th year essentially being his expiring contract year ( because of the 5th year being non-guaranteed), Spurs can then use his valuable expiring in 3 years to add a player for the future, whenever that time comes. Spurs could trade Jefferson expiring for another expiring and a decent prospect at a relative cheap price for example.

Just because Spurs may resign him for 5 years/45 million (last year non-guaranteed) doesn't necessarily mean Spurs are locked with him til the end. It's not like he is getting payed Gay or Joe Johnson money. 9-11 million should be a lot easier to move if the worst case scenario transpires.

All these reasons are the reasons why I think this is the best move for the Spurs. Without Jefferson, Spurs will be left with a trade exception (best case scenario), a sign and trade -netting a player that's worse than Jefferson, or the LLE to fill a vital role on the Spurs. And both situations don't necessarily guarantee the Spurs talent with these options.

Re-signing Jefferson does guarantee necessary talent to compete for a title, even if he isn't a picture perfect fit, he is more than likely the best the Spurs can acquire.

Manu4tres FTW

Vito Corleone
07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I personally would rather try and work a 3 team deal with maybe Atlanta where we get Josh Childress in return. If we can do that for around 6 or 7 million a year and Atlanta gets someone that will help them from either NY or NJ. That to me would be ideal.

Maybe we can do the same thing with Utah for AK-47.

Vito Corleone
07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I personally would rather try and work a 3 team deal with maybe Atlanta where we get Josh Childress in return. If we can do that for around 6 or 7 million a year and Atlanta gets someone that will help them from either NY or NJ. That to me would be ideal.

rayray2k8
07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
WojYahooNBA

Spurs and Richard Jefferson's agent have discussed a new deal, but nothing in works. RJ would love return to NY-area, but NJ not interested.

ace3g
07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski WojYahooNBA

Spurs and Richard Jefferson's agent have discussed a new deal, but nothing in works. RJ would love return to NY-area, but NJ not interested.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 08:15 PM

You do realize that is a far-fetched scenario for that to transpire (for all 3 teams agreeing on the deal).

Passing on Jefferson and telling him he is not good enough and then hoping for a far fetched trade is pretty dumb basketball move to make. IMO

Mel_13
Adrian Wojnarowski WojYahooNBA

IF:

1. RJ did not have a prearranged deal with Spurs.

And IF:

2. RJ can't drum up interest from a team with cap space

THEN:

3. His best deal from a team other than the Spurs would be the MLE (5/34). In that case, the Spurs may very well be able to retain RJ on a team friendly deal around 4/30 or a little less.

TheProfessor
So it's NY or bust for Jefferson. Which means we get to play the waiting game while NY busts on every major free agent.

benefactor
07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Well that settles that. Perhaps the Knicks now that Johnson isn't interested?

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't understand why the Knicks would want Jefferson.

They have two intriguing prospects at small forward in Gallinari and Chandler.

Jefferson is not good enough to spend 8-9 million a year, when they have Gallinari and Chandler there for a fraction of the price. That is bad basketball economics to add significant salary to an already set position.

Only way they'd sign a small forward is if it was LeBron. IMO

I'm willing to bet Jefferson sticks with SA.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I don't understand why the Knicks would want Jefferson.

They have two intriguing prospects at small forward in Gallinari and Chandler.

Jefferson is not good enough to spend 8-9 million a year when they have Gallinari and Chandler there for a fraction of the price.

Only way they'd sign a small forward is if it was LeBron.

I agree.

Hard to see any of the teams with cap space making a big push for RJ. He could be left looking for MLE offers.

tim_duncan_fan
07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm willing to bet Jefferson sticks with SA.

Yep. We're stuck with him.

slick'81
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
so no one wants him i guess were stuck?!?!

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I agree.

Hard to see any of the teams with cap space making a big push for RJ. He could be left looking for MLE offers.

Spurs can use that as leverage and maybe Spurs already know that, which is why no deal is in place yet via Yahoo. ( Meaning Spurs might have offered R.J a less expensive deal.)

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Well that settles that. Perhaps the Knicks now that Johnson isn't interested?

The Knicks actually seem like a pretty logical fit the more you think about:

D'antoni's popping Pringles on the sideline

New York will very likely miss out on the top-tier

The Knicks could get a talented player that fits their system -- at a decent rate -- and they'd still have room to add another solid free-agent or just keep the cap room for flexibility.

ChuckD
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM

No, it has to be used in a trade. However, if you work things out, the former team may to a S&T of the player. It sounds like you're just signing him, but you really do need the consent of the losing team.

Seventyniner
07-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Spurs can use that as leverage and maybe Spurs already know that, which is why no deal is in place yet via Yahoo. ( Meaning Spurs might have offered R.J a less expensive deal.)

Exactly. We want other teams to not want RJ, so the Spurs wouldn't have to pay him as much. Or we want one team with cap space to really want RJ, so we can get a trade exception. The disaster would be to re-sign RJ to a 4/40 type deal.

ohmwrecker
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
No, it has to be used in a trade. However, if you work things out, the former team may to a S&T of the player. It sounds like you're just signing him, but you really do need the consent of the losing team.

Dude, this was resolved hours ago. Thanks anyway.

timvp
07-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Yahoo is all over the map with their RJ reporting. I'm almost ready to believe McDonald.

Almost.

objective
07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
1)
3) Last year was perhaps the worst year we will see from Jefferson

why would last year be the worst from Jefferson?

He wouldn't be the first Spur to either stay the same or get worse in year 2. Roger Mason was much worse in year 2. Kurt Thomas wasn't any better in year 2. Rasho was so bad in year two the Spurs traded for Nazr to take his job. Nazr then went on to lose all his minutes to smallball and had a worse year 2.

Off the top of my head I'd say the bulk of guys who create the reputation for year 2 turnarounds are rookies or guys who were given so little time they were bound to improve, like Hill and Stephen Jackson.

Plus Jefferson is sliding out of his athletic prime on the wrong side of 30.

He was mediocre at best in the playoffs and got he Spurs under 10 points a game in 33 minutes to go with sub-par defense and what many would see as soft play.

He's not going to get the offense built around him like in Milwaukee. He's not going to get a ton of fast breaks like in New Jersey, especially as he loses steps. His role won't be changing to help his offense, and he has already epically failed at what was supposed to be the role of defensive stopper.

He had a revolting sub-par year . . . right before deciding to opt-out. If that's how he's going to play with that kind of effort in a contract year, what's going to happen when he gets paid with a guranteed multi-year deal?

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM

In terms of fit, it was. Spurs need three point shooting and him being a 40% 3 point shooter in Milwaukee was one of the reasons why everyone ( including the Spurs) thought he would be a great fit.

But for whatever reason he lost all confidence in an important aspect as the season progressed.

It was non-existent, therefore he can't fit any worse than he did last year.

Highlight the rest of what was said in the post.

TD 21
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I agree with MaNu4Tres, I can't see the Knicks being interested. Not only are their two best players (at the moment) natural SF's, but even if they strike out on all the big names, D'Antoni clearly wants to add more shooting to the roster (in case that wasn't clear enough with them drafting Rautins 38th). Jefferson doesn't fit the bill. They'd probably overpay for Miller, Korver, etc., before they'd sign Jefferson.

I think that Jefferson is hoping that either the Nets or Knicks strike out big time in free agency or only land one high quality free agent and in a desperate attempt to save face, they go after him. I'd be very surprised if that happened, though. In the end, I think he ends up back with the Spurs.

Agloco
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I appreciate it. :toast

I thought that both the 10% and 100k stuff only applied when both teams were over the cap; I didn't think TEs were subject to those rules (looks like TEs can be off up to 100k, but the 10% rule doesn't apply).

Yeah I cant really keep it straight. I look to Mel_13 or Bruno to clarify things usually. My love of economics and human psychology keep me coming back for more though.......

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Yeah I cant really keep it straight. I look to Mel_13 or Bruno to clarify things usually. My love of economics and human psychology keep me coming back for more though.......

I look here:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Agloco
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Yep. We're stuck with him.

so no one wants him i guess were stuck?!?!

Depends on what you mean by stuck.......he IS a free agent after all.

I look here:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

So do I from time to time, you're a hell of a lot better at deciphering and digesting it than I am though. :lol

Radiation and Nuclear Physics I get, this stuff is beyond me though. I'll leave it to the seasoned veterans of the board. :toast

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM

He wouldn't be the first Spur to either stay the same or get worse in year 2. Roger Mason was much worse in year 2. Kurt Thomas wasn't any better in year 2. Rasho was so bad in year two the Spurs traded for Nazr to take his job. Nazr then went on to lose all his minutes to smallball and had a worse year 2.

Off the top of my head I'd say the bulk of guys who create the reputation for year 2 turnarounds are rookies or guys who were given so little time they were bound to improve, like Hill and Stephen Jackson.

Plus Jefferson is sliding out of his athletic prime on the wrong side of 30.

He was mediocre at best in the playoffs and got he Spurs under 10 points a game in 33 minutes to go with sub-par defense and what many would see as soft play.

He's not going to get the offense built around him like in Milwaukee. He's not going to get a ton of fast breaks like in New Jersey, especially as he loses steps. His role won't be changing to help his offense, and he has already epically failed at what was supposed to be the role of defensive stopper.

He had a revolting sub-par year . . . right before deciding to opt-out. If that's how he's going to play with that kind of effort in a contract year, what's going to happen when he gets paid with a guranteed multi-year deal?

Thomas was a hair from 40 and Mason was hurt. They are not fair comparisons. We won a title in Rasho's second year.

Jefferson is 30 and he will be fine physically for a couple more years at least. He has had no major injuries.

objective
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
In terms of fit, it was. Spurs need three point shooting and him being a 40% 3 point shooter in Milwaukee was one of the reasons why everyone ( including the Spurs) thought he would be a great fit.

But for whatever reason he lost all confidence in an important aspect as the season progressed.

It was non-existent, therefore he can't fit any worse than he did last year.

Highlight the rest of what was said in the post.

see, that's where I see that it can be worse.

At no point was his 3-point shooting worse than in the playoffs. He shot 20%!

You write that he lost confidence 'for whatever reason'. The problem I have is that there's no cause to think that the 'whatever reason' won't happen all over again.

So yes, he could fit in worse than last year: he could still shoot terrible from 3 in the playoffs (the only time he shot better than 32.5% was when he was 25), he could still refuse to even step out past the three point line, he could still play soft, he could somehow play worse defense, and with declining athleticism the few plays he does make like the occasional dunks and blocks could shrink.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
see, that's where I see that it can be worse.

At no point was his 3-point shooting worse than in the playoffs. He shot 20%!

You write that he lost confidence 'for whatever reason'. The problem I have is that there's no cause to think that the 'whatever reason' won't happen all over again.

So yes, he could fit in worse than last year: he could still shoot terrible from 3 in the playoffs (the only time he shot better than 32.5% was when he was 25), he could still refuse to even step out past the three point line, he could still play soft, he could somehow play worse defense, and with declining athleticism the few plays he does make like the occasional dunks and blocks could shrink.

In a nutshell, he could just turn into Roger Mason Jr...

objective
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Thomas was a hair from 40 and Mason was hurt. They are not fair comparisons. We won a title in Rasho's second year.

Jefferson is 30 and he will be fine physically for a couple more years at least. He has had no major injuries.

Mason was hurt all 82 games?

We won a title Rasho's second year? So? What does that have to do with Rasho's play? They won a title in spite of Rasho. He played only 15 of the 23 playoff games and got less than 8 minutes a game when he did play.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Teams that still have enough cap space to offer RJ a contract larger than the MLE (assuming all reported trades and signings go through):

Miami
New York
New Jersey
Chicago
Washington
Clippers
Sacramento

I don't see a match. While crazy money is flowing all over the NBA, RJ and his agent may have badly misjudged the market for his services.

Spurs should be patient, keep a reasonable short-term deal on the table (3/24) and see if a market develops for RJ.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Teams that still have enough cap space to offer RJ a contract larger than the MLE (assuming all reported trades and signings go through):

Miami
New York
New Jersey
Chicago
Washington
Clippers
Sacramento

I don't see a match. While crazy money is flowing all over the NBA, RJ and his agent may have badly misjudged the market for his services.

Spurs should be patient, keep a reasonable short-term deal on the table (3/24) and see if a market develops for RJ.

Get a clue

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Not used to the whole blue font thing yet. My apologies.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Mason was hurt all 82 games?

We won a title Rasho's second year? So? What does that have to do with Rasho's play? They won a title in spite of Rasho. He played only 15 of the 23 playoff games and got less than 8 minutes a game when he did play.

He broke his shooting hand early and played through it. You recall the sling he wore pretty much the whole second half?

Nesterovic was also hurt in 2005.

The Truth #6
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree with objective's basic points.

I think the outpouring of love for RJ is bizarre. Perhaps it isn't love, but an insane number of words are being written in his defense. I agree that without him we are not a better team, but with him we aren't exactly contenders either. Everyone hated him all year. Now that he opted out on us everyone has fallen in love with signing him to a multiple year deal. And these are the same people who usually talk in defense of Holt's money as if it were their own. Personally, I don't care if Holt saves money or not - I care about the product on the court - but signing RJ to a 4 year deal makes even me wince.

Luckily, the Spurs are patient and typically cheap. When RJ slumps back with his head between his legs he'll take whatever scraps the Spurs give him. I think that's the best thing that can happen. If they feel they need to sign him, hopefully it's cheap to give us more spending options elsewhere, and its for a short contract so that he can opt out again and see who else is in love with him.

Shastafarian
07-01-2010, 10:51 PM
He broke his shooting hand early and played through it. You recall the sling he wore pretty much the whole second half?

I don't believe he broke it. He tore a ligament.

ElNono
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM

I couldn't hear how much he was hurting over his whining to get more playing time (that he didn't earn while his hand was fine) and his request to be traded.
And his splint didn't prevent him from pretending he could play defense and earning his minutes on the court.

Mason simply stopped giving a shit about the team in his second season. He just wanted to showcase himself to land a nice contract in the offseason. What pisses me off the most is that he didn't even have the balls to come out and tell the media himself, instead choosing to send memos to his agent to do the talking.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 10:57 PM

I think the outpouring of love for RJ is bizarre.

It's not love.

No one here is whispering sweet nothings in R.J's ear.

The reality is he is the best guaranteed option the Spurs have.

That is where the love ends.

AFBlue
07-01-2010, 11:14 PM
It's not love.

You may be convinced it's the best guaranteed option, but I'd say it's more of a coin flip.

I was not one to quickly bash RJ when he didn't come strong out of the gate and I certainly gave him his due when he started defending and rebounding with a purpose later in the season...but if RJ signs a contract for $8M/yr he'll easily remain the most overpaid Spurs player. And what's worse, he'll hold that title for the next 3 to 5 years.

The flipside is that the Spurs go this year with a less talented, less proven group and see what happens. Not great, but at this point I'd have to call it the lesser of two evils.

Just my opinion.

weebo
07-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Why would anyone want this bum back? He obviously doesn't want to be on the team. As far as I'm concerned, his team chemistry busting attitude wouldn't be fair to the guys that actually want to be on the team. Get that knob slobber outta here.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Like I said a few times, I'm partial to Derrick Favors myself, and we do need another big to compliment Tim Duncan. Plus I don't think the Nets plan to keep him anyway. If they can get Amare or Boozer, I think that increases their chances of trading him. IMO, the Spurs need to see what it would take to get his rights from New Jersey.

For some reason I could see something like this happening, the Nets owner seems pretty crazy/out there.

The Truth #6
07-02-2010, 12:07 AM
It's not love.

Yeah. I get that. I'm just not sure what that begins. Signing RJ to a medium length contract when he'd really rather be somewhere else...this is how we start our dream of winning one more title?

Will Tiago sign here and be a player - uncertain. Will our first round draft pick be a player - uncertain. Will RJ disappont - fairly certain.

If RJ signs for less than 5 million a year, then the expectations will be lower and he'll probably play better with less pressure. But he wants more money so that creates a tension.

As many people have said, doing a sign and trade is probably the best option. Hopefully RC can work some magic somehow.

Manufan909
07-02-2010, 12:37 AM
all for giving time to someone that will value it.

I 2nd this. Anderson/Hairston/Gee working their asses off to contribute will be infinitely better than the mediocrity RJ provided. Yes I know he was the 4th option, but many games he played without one of the big 3 during the season, and he couldn't even average double digits in the POs, for fucks sake.

objective
07-02-2010, 12:41 AM
I 2nd this. Anderson/Hairston/Gee working their asses off to contribute will be infinitely better than the mediocrity RJ provided. Yes I know he was the 4th option, but many games he played without one of the big 3 during the season, and he couldn't even average double digits in the POs, for fucks sake.

No! We Spurs fans demand that RJ be signed to $10 million a year for 3-5 years! RJ's complete failure in what turned out to be a contract year must be rewarded! We need those 9 points a game and soft play!

We need Bonner back too.

MaNu4Tres
07-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah. I get that. I'm just not sure what that begins. Signing RJ to a medium length contract when he'd really rather be somewhere else.

Yes I'm sure Jefferson would sign with the Spurs if he didn't want to be here.

And don't give me, " Well then why did he opt-out?" He opted out so he can take advantage of this summer before the league makes significant changes to the CBA and the cap.

But he wants more money so that creates a tension.

Yes I'm sure R.J would throw fits and not want to play for the rest of the year, after signing a new 30 million dollar contract with a contender.

As many people have said, doing a sign and trade is probably the best option. Hopefully RC can work some magic somehow.

Enlightenment me on this best option, please.

For your dream scenario to play out:

You have to go through each of these steps to logically think about this scenario.

1) You got to find a team willing to sign Jefferson. Meaning they have to have a hole to fill at the SF position and have the cap space to sign him. Or they must have a player of less ability that they are willing to part with in a sign and trade ( meaning Spurs aren't the real winners in a player for player sign and trade swap).

2)This team must have a player that they are willing to part with, and that fits the Spurs better than R.J. and that would be more productive being the 4th option.

3) If there is a trade exception being sent to the Spurs ( instead of a player), what are realistic possibilities for such a move on both sides? * In case you didn't know- there's only a handful of scenarios that actually make some sense on both sides*

You have to go through all these three steps and find matches in every aspect. That my friend is a long-shot and that is why the Spurs are interested in resigning Jefferson because he is the best-most realistic option.

Spurs would be fools to let Jefferson walk, in hopes of finding such a dream scenario where the Spurs net a better piece.

DrSteffo
07-02-2010, 01:24 AM

Bruno is the MVP me thinks. :toast

DrSteffo
07-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Personally I would prefer a S&T and RJ might prefer that too since he has publicly stated he is not a good fit with the Spurs. I have very limited hopes that RJ becomes better for us next season if he stays. However, if he walks for nothing that would obviously be the worst scenario since he is better than nothing and better than D-league caliber players.

gospursgojas
07-02-2010, 02:04 AM

Chieflion
07-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Crucify them, Manu4Tres. Send those idiots to the tree of woe.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2010, 08:11 AM

I think the outpouring of love for RJ is bizarre. Perhaps it isn't love, but an insane number of words are being written in his defense. I agree that without him we are not a better team, but with him we aren't exactly contenders either. Everyone hated him all year. Now that he opted out on us everyone has fallen in love with signing him to a multiple year deal. And these are the same people who usually talk in defense of Holt's money as if it were their own. Personally, I don't care if Holt saves money or not - I care about the product on the court - but signing RJ to a 4 year deal makes even me wince.

Luckily, the Spurs are patient and typically cheap. When RJ slumps back with his head between his legs he'll take whatever scraps the Spurs give him. I think that's the best thing that can happen. If they feel they need to sign him, hopefully it's cheap to give us more spending options elsewhere, and its for a short contract so that he can opt out again and see who else is in love with him.

I don't think anyone's in love with the idea of RJ returning.

But he sure looks like a good option when the alternative is Hairston and Gee at the three next season.

Xevious
07-02-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't think anyone's in love with the idea of RJ returning.

But he sure looks like a good option when the alternative is Hairston and Gee at the three next season.
Exactly. Spurs have exactly no money to spend on any decent free agents if they hope to bring Splitter over. RJ is the best option for starting 3.