PDA

View Full Version : I told you all the 2010 plan was going to be awful

baseline bum
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Exactly as I have been predicting here for years, the 2010 free agent class has lots of low-level talent getting paid huge money this offseason with so many teams having so much money to spend.

Rudy Gay - $81 million
Amir Johnson - $34 million
Channing Frye - $30 million
Drew Gooden - $32 million
Joe Johnson - $119 million

All on the first day of free agency! This is quickly shaping up to be the worst buyer's market since 2000 when Brian Grant, Eddie Jones, and Allan Houston were crippling their teams with unreal long-term deals. As much of a disaster as Jefferson was, if they can flip his ass into a trade exception, they're much better off than had they joined the 2010 free agent lottery. If he walks for nothing, then they're pretty much in the same boat anyways, using the money to re-sign Ginobili instead of fucking Amir Johnson.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Nice post.

Jefferson has been a disappointment, but the decision to cash in assets last summer instead of waiting for 2010 was correct.

spursfan1000
07-02-2010, 12:05 AM
This free agency has been crazy and retarded, I agree.

DMX7
07-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Teams are out of control.

spursfan1000
07-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Teams are out of control.

I'm thinking Nets sign RJ to 4 year 80 mil contract? :wow

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Exactly as I have been predicting here for years, the 2010 free agent class has lots of low-level talent getting paid huge money this offseason with so many teams having so much money to spend.

Rudy Gay - $81 million
Amir Johnson - $34 million
Channing Frye - $30 million
Drew Gooden - $32 million
Joe Johnson - $119 million

All on the first day of free agency! This is quickly shaping up to be the worst buyer's market since 2000 when Brian Grant, Eddie Jones, and Allan Houston were crippling their teams with unreal long-term deals. As much of a disaster as Jefferson was, if they can flip his ass into a trade exception, they're much better off than had they joined the 2010 free agent lottery. If he walks for nothing, then they're pretty much in the same boat anyways, using the money to re-sign Ginobili instead of fucking Amir Johnson.

I don't know if there has ever been a player who has been on the roster of every team in the league (since the 4 ABA teams joined the league) but, it is looking more and more like Drew Gooden may yet enter the record book. There should be a picture of him in the dictionary under 'journeyman'. He'll have a monster game when he first suits up for a team and then he just moves to the end of the bench. Yet teams are always willing to pick him up...I guess, in hopes he will pan out. He is the opposite of Kobe & Manu when it comes to having the heart of a champion!

Harry Callahan
07-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Gooden has played for six or seven teams and he's not even 30 years old. Wow!

Seventyniner
07-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Chucky Brown has the record for most teams played for; I think it's 13. Go, Drew, go!

ChuckD
07-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't know if there has ever been a player who has been on the roster of every team in the league (since the 4 ABA teams joined the league) but, it is looking more and more like Drew Gooden may yet enter the record book. There should be a picture of him in the dictionary under 'journeyman'. He'll have a monster game when he first suits up for a team and then he just moves to the end of the bench. Yet teams are always willing to pick him up...I guess, in hopes he will pan out. He is the opposite of Kobe & Manu when it comes to having the heart of a champion!

Gooden isn't even close to Tony Massenberg yet. I belive TMass played on either 12 or 13 teams.

One of Gooden's problems is that he's a talent tease. He shows you a little, and you drop your pants and give him a huge contract. Then, he fails to live up to it, you get buyer's remorse, and dump him at the first opportunity. Team's always think he's better than he really is. When reality sets in, it's trade time to the next sucker GM.

hsxvvd
07-02-2010, 07:27 AM

Milwaukee's trading for Maggette and Douglas-Roberts, signing Gooden....lol.

and Scott Skiles is wanting to play defence?

wut
07-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Geez... with contracts like these, even I could squeeze a deal for 12 million; and I've never even set foot on a NBA court. :lol:

gospursgojas
07-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Then in 3 or 4 years teams ownership are going to be crying and wanting another "Finley" type salary dump

Samr
07-02-2010, 08:07 AM
I keep saying (and I may be wrong, as I was with Haislip), that the more and more players get paid exorbitant amounts of money, the better it looks for the Spurs. My thinking is this:

How many teams have a ton of spending money? And what percentage of that available money is being taken already by these second-tier guys? Once you factor in the max contracts Wade, Bosh, Amare, LeBron, Dirk, Boozer are all going to get, how many teams are going have money left? And how much?

I'm thinking that the more money that gets used up by the the guys the likes of which are mentioned in the first post, the less money will actually be available for the more role-playing guys the Spurs will target. These players will have to take less, because that will be all that's available.

Also, the more big names still out there, the more other time other teams (who are able to spend that kind of money) are going to spend courting them, which provides a great window for guys like the Spurs to court their targeted FAs basically by themselves.

I could be wrong, but I keep thinking this is really good for the Spurs. Someone good with numbers, I want to see how a comparison of all the available money in free agency, vs. how much has already been tied up.

If nothing else, this ridiculous contract spree is just hilarious.

Thomas82
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM

This will actually be his 9th team in his 9-year career.

ohmwrecker
07-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Paul Pierce 4years 60mil from the Celts

I don't think the Joe Johnson deal is done yet.

4>0rings
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
This is why it's hard to believe that RJ would be signing back with the Spurs, you know he's going to get a major contract... hopefully not with the Spurs.

07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
haven't seen the worst yet, which i bet is coming from the clippers. they are going to get desperate when none of the big name FA's even show interest, then they get even stupider when they get desperate and will probably offer jefferson 12mil/yr for 4 years.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
The dumbest people in the business, Kahn and Sarver, have already spent nearly all their money.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2010, 01:06 PM
the teams with FA leaving, why dont they just sit and see what the offer sheet is, since they can always outbid the free cap team, instead of handing out a max deal cant they just give like an extra dollar or 1m more then the other teams bid?

superbigtime
07-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I will be so pissed if the Spurs sign Matt Bonner early (if at all), because he will be available to the last day. See what other options are out there first. Please don't sign him. Please.

alchemist
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
TP's gonna want 16mil/per next year

:lol :bang

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 01:40 PM
TP's gonna want 16mil/per next year

:lol :bang

Next year's market will be vastly different than this year's.

ducks
07-02-2010, 01:45 PM
yeah but a few team will have money

alchemist
07-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Next year's market will be vastly different than this year's.
yeah that's definitely true

Mr Bones
07-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I agree-- the 2010 plan was playing with fire when you consider the age of Duncan. The Spurs easily could've had Wilson Chandler and possibly more by taking on Jared Jeffries' contract the year before last. Jeffries is a much better defender than Jefferson, and while overpaid, he's not as overpaid as Jefferson. Chandler would've been Stephen Jackson Lite for the Spurs-- a perfect fit who can play the 2 or 3. Oh well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Nice call, bb. :tu

WTF is up with the Bucks? 32mil to Gooden!? :vomit:

Trading for Maggette I can kinda see, although he is such a ballhog, just like Gooden, that they are the last players I'd be signing. Why the hell didn't they throw all their space at Boozer, who would be a perfect compliment to Bogut? Terrible offseason for them.

TheSpursFNRule
07-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Nice call, bb. :tu

WTF is up with the Bucks? 32mil to Gooden!? :vomit:

Trading for Maggette I can kinda see, although he is such a ballhog, just like Gooden, that they are the last players I'd be signing. Why the hell didn't they throw all their space at Boozer, who would be a perfect compliment to Bogut? Terrible offseason for them.

No one wants to go to Milwaukee. Thats the problem.

Ditty
07-04-2010, 02:24 AM
dont worry in the summer of 2012 we will have more than 30 million in salary to spend including ginobili expiring!!!

Magdalena M
07-04-2010, 02:49 AM
It might be nice to see a player make the all star team once, or be named to the all-nba second or third team, or get a vote or two for defensive player of the year before securing a Max contract, don't ya think?

Veterinarian
07-04-2010, 02:55 AM
Everyone with a brain knew a lot of players were going to get overpaid this summer. There were too many teams with cap space and too few true max players.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2010, 06:34 AM
No one wants to go to Milwaukee. Thats the problem.

You may well be right. Ironically, if I was a balla I'd want to go there and play with young guns like Bogut and Jennings, and in front of Squad 6 who made the Bucks a tough home beat, for 41 games a year. But then I'm a weirdo... :lol

Love the way Bogut has committed to that town. He's doing Australia proud. :tu