PDA

View Full Version : Article: San Antonio is the Best Place for Chris Bosh

kev
07-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Didn't see it posted elsewhere.

With Parker's recent comments, I think I'd do this.

http://dimemag.com/2010/07/san-antonio-is-the-best-place-for-chris-bosh/

purist
07-02-2010, 08:50 AM
I'd do it.

c - duncan
pf - Bosh
sf - RJ
sg- manu
pg - hill

bench:
splitter
anderson
bellineli
evans
temple
hairston

Chieflion
07-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Why would Dime Magazine pimp the Spurs up? Anyway, it is all but certain Bosh would go to Miami to join Wade.

MoSpur
07-02-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm fine with giving up Parker and Dice, but not Blair.

Muser
07-02-2010, 08:53 AM
For the 1234565432454345432345432 time Hill is not a starting PG.

Phenomanul
07-02-2010, 08:53 AM

This...

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-02-2010, 08:56 AM

True, but if this deal is on the table, the Spurs absolutely have to do it and think of the PG position later.

That said, it's highly unlikely, of course.

Tito_Trinidad
07-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Bosh any day !!!!! Bring it !!!!

purist
07-02-2010, 08:59 AM

understand that, but with Bosh, TD, and Splitter, all the pg has to do is bring the ball up and throw it down low ala Avery Johnson. Ball will either go up as a shot or come back out to the perimter for an open look. I know this an oversimplification, but when you have such strong low post presence a serviceable pg will do, IMO. It's not likely to happen anyway, but it's a pipedream fun to talk about.

K-State Spur
07-02-2010, 09:00 AM

without giving any credence to this being a remote possibility:

agreed that Hill is NOT a PG. However, if it gets you a guy like Bosh - you make a Hill/Ginobili tag-team work at that spot.

if you're sporting the best frontcourt in the league, the demands of playing the PG position are significantly lessened.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 09:00 AM
No way Toronto does that trade.

A trade centered around Tony for Bosh has been discussed ad nauseum around here since last summer.

Toronto has two ridiculously overpaid PGs on long-term contracts. Parker on the Raptors gives them 3 PGs on the roster for 27M next season. It makes no sense. It makes even less sense because there's no way Tony signs a long term deal to stay on that dysfunctional mess of a team up there in Toronto.

So all Toronto gets out of that deal is a one year rental on Tony, the last year of Dice's career (if he doesn't retire rather than report), and Blair. Now I love Blair, but that's a pretty meager return for Bosh, Evans, and Belinelli.

No need to look at reasons the Spurs might be hesitant about this deal, there isn't nearly enough in it for the Raptors to cooperate in a S&T.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Mel_13, you're right that there's little in this package for Toronto, but after Hedo's contract and yesterday's Raptors reached agreement to sign centre Amir Johnson to a five year, $34 million (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157680), I wouldn't bet my house against the possibility of Colangelo having a blonde moment yet again. :lol

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Mel_13, you're right that there's little in this package for Toronto, but after Hedo's contract and yesterday's Raptors reached agreement to sign centre Amir Johnson to a five year, $34 million (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157680), I wouldn't bet my house against the possibility of Colangelo having a blonde moment yet again. :lol

True enough. One shouldn't underestimate the possibility that BC makes an incredibly stupid move that further cripples his franchise.

Biggems
07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
U dont give up an all-star/championship PG. We would rue the day that we traded away Parker to get Bosh for a long time.

Instead of worrying about trades and such.....let's use our money to sign Splitter, keep Jefferson and then add some UDFAs to the mix....maybe Mikhail Torrance, Marqus Blakely, Mac Koshwal, Tyler Smith, etc.

I like what we have with Duncan, McDyess, Blair, Manu, Parker, Hill, Temple, and Hairston.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 09:24 AM
add some UDFAs to the mix....maybe Mikhail Torrance, Marqus Blakely, Mac Koshwal, Tyler Smith, etc.

:lol

Are you going to get paid a commission if those two guys get NBA contract?

Tito_Trinidad
07-02-2010, 09:40 AM
If we get Splitter, there is not necessity for Bosh. The next step after getting Splitter is a long young wing, like Rudy Gay, Granger, Iguodala, or even Brewer.

Darkwaters
07-02-2010, 09:40 AM

Are you going to get paid a commission if those two guys get NBA contract?

My thoughts exactly! :lol

bdictjames
07-02-2010, 09:43 AM
No way. Bosh is pretty much in love with Miami.

guzmangm
07-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Actually the first time I agreed with a possible Parker trade. Remember Jefferson plays better with Manu at point; who is a better distributor (if they do in fact resign RJ). If this happens it in effect negates or lessens the need for the slashing attack of the point guards. Blair has upside but we hardly used him, so you can't really miss what you never used and he is still short...

Cheddz
07-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Sure I'd miss Blair, but getting Bosh would probably make me not notice so much.

Anyway...this is a pipe dream.

dbestpro
07-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Hill is a PG now and in the future. Why? Because Pop says so.

rayray2k8
07-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Bosh aint coming guys. Don't let this pipe dream thread continue to drag on any longer.

OrEmuN
07-02-2010, 10:37 AM
True enough. One shouldn't underestimate the possibility that BC makes an incredibly stupid move that further cripples his franchise.

If BC is that incredibly stupid, i hope he is stupid enough to do a S&T involving Bosh for RJ + spare parts ? Can someone link him up with some RJ youtube highlights ?

Manufan909
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM

What are Parker's recent comments? Man I need to check ST more.

purist
07-02-2010, 11:02 AM
If we get Splitter, there is not necessity for Bosh. The next step after getting Splitter is a long young wing, like Rudy Gay, Granger, Iguodala, or even Brewer.

I disagree, if you get Splitter and Bosh, you have the next generation of twin towers and you build around them. And, you still give Tim a chance at another ring.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Well it worked for Kobe. So why not Duncan?:lol

timvp
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd do that trade. Bosh is a possible franchise player. Losing Parker would obviously hurt but if you are going to trade him, getting a stud bigman is one of the few scenarios that makes sense -- and Bosh is a stud. Having Duncan and Bosh (and probably Splitter) would limit Blair's worth on the Spurs, so including him in the trade is fine.

That said, even though I'd do that trade, it'd lower the Spurs' chances of winning a championship next season. The best chance the Spurs have of winning a championship next season is having the Big 3 healthy at the same time and drawing off of their deep well of corporate knowledge in the postseason. But I'd be willing to take that hit for the chance of acquiring a possible franchise bigman who could extend Duncan's career.

Seventyniner
07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
The Spurs would almost certainly have to take back a bad contract to make the Raptors want to do this. The Raps would love to offload Calderon, but him + Bosh is too much salary for the Spurs to match; TP + McDyess is $18.5M, while Bosh ($16.6M starting) + Calderon is $25.6M. Even throwing in Hairston/Gee/Jerrells/Temple doesn't get close enough. Bosh + Jack is $21.2M, which is within Hairston/etc range of matching.

So a revised deal (that gives the Spurs a decent, if overpaid backup PG) is Bosh + Jack for TP + McDyess + Hairston. Hairston is fully unguaranteed, which would help Colangelo financially (though he doesn't seem to care the way he threw money at Amir Johnson). Throw in a first-rounder if we must, but try to keep Blair. If they insist on Blair...I still say do it. Bosh is an excellent piece to build around.

K-State Spur
07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
The Spurs would almost certainly have to take back a bad contract to make the Raptors want to do this. The Raps would love to offload Calderon, but him + Bosh is too much salary for the Spurs to match; TP + McDyess is $18.5M, while Bosh ($16.6M starting) + Calderon is $25.6M. Even throwing in Hairston/Gee/Jerrells/Temple doesn't get close enough. Bosh + Jack is $21.2M, which is within Hairston/etc range of matching.

Not really. Remember that a sign + trade is basically giving the team losing the player SOMETHING instead of losing their FA for nothing. The Raps don't really have Bosh right now, so it's not like you're actually taking the franchise player off their roster. This isn't the same as making a trade for a guy who is already under contract.

If you have to give up pieces AND take back a bad contract - then it's not happening. Tell the Raps to be happy with nothing.

That said, I don't think the logistics work out well enough because Toronto already has so much money committed at the PG position. But the listed offer was plenty in return for a S+T of bosh.

AFBlue
07-02-2010, 01:29 PM
At the end of the season Bosh sent a list to Raptors management of places he would be willing to go in a sign-and-trade scenario. To my knowledge, SA is not one of those teams. So, while this Bosh-to-SA-for-Parker thing can be talked up and down, it doesn't seem plausible since Bosh never stated a desire to be here.

The Btown Spur
07-02-2010, 01:43 PM
At the end of the season Bosh sent a list to Raptors management of places he would be willing to go in a sign-and-trade scenario. To my knowledge, SA is not one of those teams. So, while this Bosh-to-SA-for-Parker thing can be talked up and down, it doesn't seem plausible since Bosh never stated a desire to be here.

Agreed Bosh wants to be in Miami, Chicago, or New York. He can pick where he wants to be signed and traded. Hes not comin to SA

alchemist
07-02-2010, 01:48 PM
:lol not gonna happen.

Mr Bones
07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I think Bosh is a pipe dream, but the arguments against Hill don't make sense to me. Is he a perfect starting PG? No. But neither is Derek Fisher, and he just won yet another ring. Keith Bogans isn't a starting anything, and neither is Matt Bonner, and neither was Michael Finley... but the Spurs tried to move forward with them. If you have a chance at locking up Bosh for the next half decade, you do it. A team led by Parker in the future without Duncan will be fun to watch, but I don't think they win championships without a player better than Parker also being added.

vander
07-02-2010, 04:03 PM

and Derick Fisher is?

Supergirl
07-02-2010, 04:12 PM
True, but if this deal is on the table, the Spurs absolutely have to do it and think of the PG position later.

That said, it's highly unlikely, of course.

Why? A quality PG is not that easy to find in the NBA, and the Spurs have a top 5 PG right now. I don't think Bosh is worth giving that up. It would make MORE sense to give up Blair, since his minutes will get eaten up by Splitter and Bosh, if they both wound up here.

DPG21920
07-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Blair or Roddy B. Who is currently more overrated?

vander
07-02-2010, 04:17 PM
The Spurs would almost certainly have to take back a bad contract to make the Raptors want to do this. The Raps would love to offload Calderon, but him + Bosh is too much salary for the Spurs to match; TP + McDyess is $18.5M, while Bosh ($16.6M starting) + Calderon is $25.6M.

would we really have to give him the Max? wouldn't the extra year, no income tax, and no Canada allow us to get him a bit cheaper?

also I wouldn't give up Blair, I'd rather give up a future first rounder

Agloco
07-02-2010, 04:18 PM

I'd do it.

c - duncan
pf - Bosh
sf - RJ
sg- manu
pg - hill

bench:
splitter
anderson
bellineli
evans
temple
hairston

I guess we should all thank the league that it won't let you fools do this...... :rolleyes

vander
07-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Why? A quality PG is not that easy to find in the NBA, and the Spurs have a top 5 PG right now. I don't think Bosh is worth giving that up. It would make MORE sense to give up Blair, since his minutes will get eaten up by Splitter and Bosh, if they both wound up here.

quick, who were the last 2 teams to win a Championship with an all-star PG?

ezzizle
07-02-2010, 04:20 PM

why not Blair ?
he doesn't have ACL's in either of his knees so they'll give up on him sooner or later. that's why he slipped from 1st round pick to 37th.

Agloco
07-02-2010, 04:22 PM

and Derick Fisher is?

Vander, the Boston Celtics beg to differ.

And no, Hill isn't a starting PG; As a matter of fact, he's not a PG at all.

vander
07-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Vander, the Boston Celtics beg to differ.

And no, Hill isn't a starting PG; As a matter of fact, he's not a PG at all.

Nash >>> Fisher
Rondo >> Fisher
Williams >> Fisher
even that guy on the Thunder is better than Fisher,

you don't need a great PG to win the title, Hill would be perfectly adequate with the right pieces at other positions

also, going forward, TP is not even a Top 10 PG

if we could get a guy like Bosh for TP, that's a no freaking brainier. Bosh is worth 2 TPs, at least.

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 04:37 PM
quick, who were the last 2 teams to win a Championship with an all-star PG?

Spurs and Celtics.

vander
07-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Spurs and Celtics.

Rondo was an all star that year?

edit: I'm not sure about Billups, if he wasn't, there hasn't been one other that Tony since, since... before the TD era, did Jordan ever have an all star PG? was Cassell? going all the way back to Magic there has been at most 4 all star PGs winning championships to the best of my recollection.

not only that, But TP is no all star anymore.

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Let's see... the Celtics were also 12:00 away from winning the title this year, and the Pistons were 12:00 from winning a title in 05, and did win one in 04.

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 04:40 PM
But hey, the Lakers won 5 titles recently and didn't need a point guard. Therefore, point guards aren't that important.

vander
07-02-2010, 04:49 PM
But hey, the Lakers won 5 titles recently and didn't need a point guard. Therefore, point guards aren't that important.

and the bulls, and the Spurs won with rookie TP and Avery, who did Miami win with? GP and white chocolate? :lol:lol:lol

ask Nash and Stockton how important the PG is

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 04:52 PM
OK, so all we need is prime Michael Jordan.

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Or prime David Robinson.

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
And a time machine for Duncan too.

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Or the greatest chokers in NBA history as a Finals opponent.

vander
07-02-2010, 04:55 PM
OK, so all we need is prime Michael Jordan.

or Chris Bosh

vander
07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
baseline, do you think we can win a title with TP and whatever we can get with the MLE?

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 05:00 PM
baseline, do you think we can win a title with TP and whatever we can get with the MLE?

Doubtful. Do you think someone who averages 0.7 assists in 34 minutes a game is a point guard?

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Talking about Bosh in San Antonio is just masturbation. Why don't I create a thread about resurrecting Wilt from the dead?

ducks
07-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Doubtful. Do you think someone who averages 0.7 assists in 34 minutes a game is a point guard?

you mean you do not agree with this dude:rollin

I don't see why not. He handles the ball well, doesn't turn it over often and unlike Mason I doubt he over thinks the position. He won't get better at point if he isn't given the chance to play it.

vander
07-02-2010, 05:10 PM

one way to find out, can't possibly turn out any worse than staying put. and we could also find a serviceable FA PG if necessary.

also, he averages 2.3 in 23 for his career, and that's while playing 2 a lot.

EricB
07-02-2010, 05:15 PM

I love how the Tony Parker haters are now clinging to the "Well, you don't NEED a point guard to win a ring"

vander
07-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Talking about Bosh in San Antonio is just masturbation. Why don't I create a thread about resurrecting Wilt from the dead?

Miami pulled off the shaq trade
LA pulled off the Gasol trade
Boston got KG and Allen

why must the Spurs getting a top player be such an impossibility?

vander
07-02-2010, 05:19 PM

I love how the Tony Parker haters are now clinging to the "Well, you don't NEED a point guard to win a ring"

you have evidence of the contrary?

ducks
07-02-2010, 05:20 PM
I never said Hill was a play maker, but he hasn't needed to be one. Down the strech of any game whether the Spurs have Parker or not a healthy Manu Ginobili will be the point guard. So who cares who starts at point.

And Hill at the shooting guard mostly averages 1 assist every 10 minutes. He can get more than that if he had the ball in his hands as much as Tony.

if manu had to ran point more he would be spent before the playoffs
he almost was already
and he is not going to get better his play will get worse and worse

vander
07-02-2010, 05:23 PM
hey ducks, where would you rank TP among PGs in the NBA right now?

ducks
07-02-2010, 05:25 PM
right now
tell he proves he is healthy and can ball
around 12-15

if he regains his form top 5

he is more valuable to the spurs then that between 12-15 because duncan trust him
duncan did not trust him for a long time
he also knows the system
that is why sticking with tp to me is the only shot spurs have a chance at a title this coming year

EricB
07-02-2010, 05:27 PM
you have evidence of the contrary?

The last three Spurs championships, need a DVD?

EricB
07-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Boston got KG and Allen

Look at the three cities that pulled those trades off.

San Antonio isn't as desired a major hot shot city as those are.

I love SA but thats the truth. Its unrealistic.

ducks
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
these are trades not fa signings

vander
07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
The last three Spurs championships, need a DVD?

:lol 2003 TP

I see your 2 and raise you every other championship team except Detroit since 96

EricB
07-02-2010, 05:34 PM
:lol 2003 TP

I see your 2 and raise you every other championship team except Detroit since 96

Yeah 2003 was a pretty good year for him despite what the Speedy Hill honks think.

Its hilarious, ever since Parkers been here, people have always desired the sexy back up to "take over" and win the rings that Parkers obviously lost.

vander
07-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah 2003 was a pretty good year for him despite what the Speedy Hill honks think.

Its hilarious, ever since Parkers been here, people have always desired the sexy back up to "take over" and win the rings that Parkers obviously lost.

Parker has not lost us any rings, he is just our best trade bait, is already on the down-side of his career, re-signing him will be a mistake, letting him walk will be a mistake

ducks
07-02-2010, 05:57 PM
could have done that 2 years ago

a new point guard takes a year to learn the system plus time to learn where the people want the ball

spurs should have traded manu for a Danny Granger and another bench player

oh and when tp is right
he has the ball alot in the 4 not manu
they both share it
pop trust tp now first years he did not late

EricB
07-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Parker has not lost us any rings, he is just our best trade bait, is already on the down-side of his career, re-signing him will be a mistake, letting him walk will be a mistake

he's almost 30 and he's on the downside of his career....

wow :lol

Agloco
07-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Nash >>> Fisher
Rondo >> Fisher
Williams >> Fisher
even that guy on the Thunder is better than Fisher,

you don't need a great PG to win the title, Hill would be perfectly adequate with the right pieces at other positions

also, going forward, TP is not even a Top 10 PG

if we could get a guy like Bosh for TP, that's a no freaking brainier. Bosh is worth 2 TPs, at least.

rofl. You claim that D Fish isn't a starting PG and then proceed to compare him to some of the best in the game......:lol But of course he doesn't stack up. :rolleyes

Sure, you don't need a great PG to win the title. All you need is talent that is the best in the NBA at another position. D Wade, Jordan, Duncan, Kobe etc...

and the bulls, and the Spurs won with rookie TP and Avery, who did Miami win with? GP and white chocolate? :lol:lol:lol

ask Nash and Stockton how important the PG is

What the hell do you think they'll say? :lol

A better question would how important is the talent surrounding you.....

Agloco
07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Boston got KG and Allen

Look VERY closely at the cities you listed. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

Agloco
07-02-2010, 06:22 PM

one way to find out, can't possibly turn out any worse than staying put. and we could also find a serviceable FA PG if necessary.

also, he averages 2.3 in 23 for his career, and that's while playing 2 a lot.

Can you lend me that crystal ball of yours? I'm in need of the next winning Pick 5 numbers. :lol

lol @ "one way to find out".

Obstructed_View
07-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Bosh is hugely overrated. I wouldn't give up Parker and Blair for him.

Josepatches_
07-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Then Parker is overrated too.Without Duncan around him i'm not sure he could be an all star.

Bosh isn't going to play here but he's better than tony and Blair together.

vander
07-02-2010, 08:14 PM
he's almost 30 and he's on the downside of his career....

wow :lol

style of play, his success was based on quickness and reckless abandon. both of which are waning.

vander
07-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Can you lend me that crystal ball of yours? I'm in need of the next winning Pick 5 numbers. :lol

lol @ "one way to find out".

lol @ "i don't know what might happen if we change things, so let's just stick with what we know doesn't work"

vander
07-02-2010, 08:22 PM
rofl. You claim that D Fish isn't a starting PG and then proceed to compare him to some of the best in the game......:lol But of course he doesn't stack up. :rolleyes

Sure, you don't need a great PG to win the title. All you need is talent that is the best in the NBA at another position. D Wade, Jordan, Duncan, Kobe etc...

What the hell do you think they'll say? :lol

A better question would how important is the talent surrounding you.....

you're somewhat getting the point here, making progress

JustinJDW
07-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Ok, we need to stop with the pipe dreams and focus on bringing Tiago over this Summer and whatever the hell is going on with Richard Jefferson.

EricB
07-02-2010, 08:27 PM
style of play, his success was based on quickness and reckless abandon. both of which are waning.

Yeah that plantar fascitis had nothing to do with that.

Nah...

wildbill2u
07-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Rockets are offering SCola, Arriza and Battier for Bosh. That's three damn good players.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Rockets are offering SCola, Arriza and Battier for Bosh. That's three damn good players.

They better throw in some 1st rounders, that still shouldn't be enough.

Seventyniner
07-02-2010, 09:55 PM
If the Spurs are willing to offer Parker for Bosh, that would trump just about any deal the Rockets offer. Parker is better than anyone on Houston's roster (except maybe Yao? and he wouldn't be involved anyway).

Thompson
07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
If the Spurs are willing to offer Parker for Bosh, that would trump just about any deal the Rockets offer. Parker is better than anyone on Houston's roster (except maybe Yao? and he wouldn't be involved anyway).

That, and Bosh has to agree to a sign-and-trade. Who thinks he would rather go play with what remains of Houston over what would remain of San Antonio? I think he'd much rather contend for a couple of years vs. not really having much of a shot with the Rockets.