PDA

View Full Version : If Parker is Traded ...

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2010, 09:05 AM
what are the chances of bringing over de Colo to play PG this year? Although Pop has assured Tony that he is not going anywhere, if the Knicks strike out on the top tier FAs and turn their attention to Tony (as reported), couldn't the Spurs use some of the acquired Trade Exception (if indeed, that is the case) to lure de Colo to the NBA? I haven't heard anybody mention this recently, but I thought I'd ask considering that everyone assumes that Hill would have the PG position locked down if Parker was actually traded. Your thoughts?

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Trade Exceptions are used to acquire players in trades, they can't be used to sign FAs or draft picks.

That being said, if Tony is traded into New York's cap space in exchange for a large TE, the Spurs would then be well under salary cap and have plenty of room to bring over De Colo.

In the end though, the LLE would likely have been enough to get De Colo here this year, but its been reported that both sides saw the benefit of Nando staying one more year in Spain. His team advanced to the Euroleague and he'll play a higher level of competition next year.

Also, Nando is not a PG.

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Trade Exceptions are used to acquire players in trades, they can't be used to sign FAs or draft picks.

That being said, if Tony is traded into New York's cap space in exchange for a large TE, the Spurs would then be well under salary cap and have plenty of room to bring over De Colo.

In the end though, the LLE would likely have been enough to get De Colo here this year, but its been reported that both sides saw the benefit of Nando staying one more year in Spain. His team advanced to the Euroleague and he'll play a higher level of competition next year.

Also, Nando is not a PG.

Thanks for the response. I remember the discussion yesterday about the restrictions of the TEs, but I wasn't sure if it could be used as part of a buyout with his current team (which I think he has one more year).

As for the position he plays, I guess I fell into the trap in assuming that since he plays PG for his current team that that would translate to the same position in the NBA. Sorry.

Thanks again for the response.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 09:31 AM
As for the position he plays, I guess I fell into the trap in assuming that since he plays PG for his current team that that would translate to the same position in the NBA.

That's part of the reason, as I understand it, that he's being left overseas for one more season. That is, that he'll need to play some PG to survive in the NBA. So, while he came up as a SG, he played PG for much of this past season.

There's 6 pages of Nando discussion here, including plenty of good stuff from the European posters who have seen him play:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148357

Pauleta14
07-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Also, Nando is not a PG.

As well as Tony wasn't a "natural" one at the start of his career...
Nando's goal is to become one!
He played PG this year, and the french NT coach intend to start him ahead of Beaubois this summer at the point...

I don't see him coming before at least one more year in Spain though.

SpurCharger
07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Nando May not be Ready to Take over the reigns at the NBA Level.... Maybe another year or 2....

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys. :toast

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 10:15 AM
As well as Tony wasn't a "natural" one at the start of his career...
Nando's goal is to become one!

:lol

Please. Even if you wear tri-colored glasses, you can't compare Tony and Nando as PGs at any point in their development.

At 19 years old, Tony was able to survive as a starting PG in the NBA. Nando is already 23 and has just finished one year as a PG in Spain.

I understand the plan with regard to Nando, but he's got quite a way to go just to become good enough to earn rotation minutes in the NBA. He's got to go much further than that to be as good as Tony was when he was 19, let alone 23.

iManu
07-02-2010, 11:05 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=25hrh44

Mal
07-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I can see Parker traded for Danny Granger. It makes a lot of sense

I <3 SPURS
07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Some deals that the Spurs should look at is with the Timberwolves and the Pacers. With the Wolves try sending Tony Parker for Al Jefferson and Jonny Flynn maybe add Dice or Blair to that deal or with the Pacers and work something out with Parker and Granger.

AFBlue
07-02-2010, 02:04 PM
This Parker-to-Pacers-for-Granger thing needs to be stopped in its tracks. Granger is a top 5 scorer in the league, an extremely versatile player, and he's locked up for four more years. Parker on the other hand, is coming off a bad year and has only one season left on his contract.

I don't see how the Spurs convince the Pacers how that's an equitable deal.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
This Parker-to-Pacers-for-Granger thing needs to be stopped in its tracks. Granger is a top 5 scorer in the league, an extremely versatile player, and he's locked up for four more years. Parker on the other hand, is coming off a bad year and has only one season left on his contract.

Parker is a great trade chip, but there are limits. He is most valuable to a team that is able to keep him beyond 2010-11. Otherwise he is a one-year rental. Tony isn't signing a long-term deal to spend the next several years in Indianapolis. Trades to NY or NJ seem more likely.

Cane
07-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Parker's also one of the top scorers in the league when healthy and Granger missed 20 games as well this past season. Parker did have a worse season and missed out on more games though.

That said, it still doesn't make much sense for the Pacers for the other reasons you mentioned.

Josepatches_
07-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Also, Nando is not a PG.

And he's not an NBA player.

If he's lucky he could have a good career in Europe.Nothing more.