PDA

View Full Version : One of the stupidest rules in the NBA

Biggems
07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
is the rule that allows only 12 players to dress on a given night. IMO, if you are allowed 15 roster spots, all 15 should be eligible to play. Not only this, but each team must have a minimum of 13 players on the roster, even though every game someone will have to be in street clothes. Just keep the minimum 13, the maximum 15 and let all players dress on game day, unless the team personally deactivates them.

I feel the same way about the NFL.....I find it stupid to have 53 spots, but only 45 can dress for the game. I actually believe that each team should have a roster size of 60, and all players should be eligible to dress.

Arrowch4
07-02-2010, 09:35 AM
I agree.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2010, 09:42 AM
They no longer have an injured list in the NBA. They replaced it with the active and inactive list. It was a response to bogus injuries like our plantar fasciitis in the nineties. I think they expanded it further so you could retain exclusive rights to players on your dleague rosters.

completely deck
07-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I agree with you. When it comes down to it, the last 3 spots seem like a waste of money.

TimmehC
07-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't think you'll find any disagreement on your stance here. I friggin hate that rule.

YoMamaIsCallin
07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
What problem does the dress-12-players rule cause, exactly? I just hear a lot of bitching but no substance. What is the issue?

From my POV I think it's way down the list of things about the NBA that need changing. The 13th player isn't going to play anyway, so what's the big deal about having him in street clothes? (NBA dress code approved, of course.)

stnick2261
07-02-2010, 01:48 PM
it's not a big deal.... there's just not enough minutes for anyone 12 and up to get meaningful minutes, but if you have an injury, you'll be glad you have them on the roster. And as mentioned, it's good to have the flexibility to send 2 out of 3 inactive players to the d-league

.... not exactly a waste of money and space

K-State Spur
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
is the rule that allows only 12 players to dress on a given night. IMO, if you are allowed 15 roster spots, all 15 should be eligible to play. Not only this, but each team must have a minimum of 13 players on the roster, even though every game someone will have to be in street clothes. Just keep the minimum 13, the maximum 15 and let all players dress on game day, unless the team personally deactivates them.

I feel the same way about the NFL.....I find it stupid to have 53 spots, but only 45 can dress for the game. I actually believe that each team should have a roster size of 60, and all players should be eligible to dress.

Know your history. Roster sizes were always supposed to be 12, but teams used to fake injuries with their players to get them onto the injured list to open up extra roster spots. The league responded to this joke by adding the inactive list. Makes much more sense.

Biggems
07-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Know your history. Roster sizes were always supposed to be 12, but teams used to fake injuries with their players to get them onto the injured list to open up extra roster spots. The league responded to this joke by adding the inactive list. Makes much more sense.

I know my history and since i have been watching, the roster size has been max 15, with a max of 12 that could dress.....sure they tweaked rules about the 3 who sit, but it is still the same basically. The point is, someone is sitting, out of uniform. All 15 players should be eligible to dress on any given night. The team should be able to decide if players should sit out or not, not the league.

LoneStarState'sPride
07-02-2010, 09:55 PM
No argument here.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I know my history and since i have been watching, the roster size has been max 15, with a max of 12 that could dress.....sure they tweaked rules about the 3 who sit, but it is still the same basically. The point is, someone is sitting, out of uniform. All 15 players should be eligible to dress on any given night. The team should be able to decide if players should sit out or not, not the league.

I am pretty sure they can declare actives and inactives before every game just like in the NFL.

Kori Ellis
07-02-2010, 10:17 PM
The active and inactive list is set on a game-by-game basis, one hour before tip-off.

spursfan1000
07-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I agree, everyone should be able to dress, so if it's a blowout the worst 3 players can get some time.

Darkwaters
07-03-2010, 01:02 AM
I think we're arguing over getting spot minutes for Mac Koshwal and Mikhail Torrance.

GSH
07-03-2010, 02:19 AM
I could probably think of several reasons why the inactive list makes sense. (I'm sure that some of it is a financial benefit for the teams.) One thing that comes to mind is 10-day contracts. Teams are not allowed to have more 10-day contracts than the number of players they have on the inactive list. If all 15 players were active, then teams would not be allowed to have any 10-day contracts, under the current CBA.

Under the old CBA, 10-day contracts were only available to replace an injured player. Now teams can put a player on the inactive list for whatever reason, and use 10-day contracts to check out other players.

Any player that is on the active or inactive list for at least one day of the season earns a year of service under the current CBA. Those years of service add up and increase the player's minimum salary as his career progresses. (They also count toward the player's Bird rights.) Players who are only signed to 10-day contracts are not credited with a year of service.

If you think about it, you can probably find other reasons why the inactive list makes sense, and it's a good bet that most of those reasons benefit the owners monetarily.

mudyez
07-03-2010, 03:22 AM
problem solved!

-QDIHIpEZoo

mudyez
07-03-2010, 03:26 AM
I'm just thinking of a reason why to have more than 12 players dressed for a game!

I'm a basketball coach and I even had to learn, to cut it down to 10 or fewer players, coz most of them (its girls) can live better without doing the warmup and so on, than prepairing and then beeing disappointed.

Magdalena M
07-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm just thinking of a reason why to have more than 12 players dressed for a game!

I'm a basketball coach and I even had to learn, to cut it down to 10 or fewer players, coz most of them (its girls) can live better without doing the warmup and so on, than prepairing and then beeing disappointed.

I agree, everyone should be able to dress, so if it's a blowout the worst 3 players can get some time.

planaria
07-03-2010, 07:29 PM
This is a basketball rule, not only a NBA rule.

Biggems
07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I could probably think of several reasons why the inactive list makes sense. (I'm sure that some of it is a financial benefit for the teams.) One thing that comes to mind is 10-day contracts. Teams are not allowed to have more 10-day contracts than the number of players they have on the inactive list. If all 15 players were active, then teams would not be allowed to have any 10-day contracts, under the current CBA.

Under the old CBA, 10-day contracts were only available to replace an injured player. Now teams can put a player on the inactive list for whatever reason, and use 10-day contracts to check out other players.

Any player that is on the active or inactive list for at least one day of the season earns a year of service under the current CBA. Those years of service add up and increase the player's minimum salary as his career progresses. (They also count toward the player's Bird rights.) Players who are only signed to 10-day contracts are not credited with a year of service.

If you think about it, you can probably find other reasons why the inactive list makes sense, and it's a good bet that most of those reasons benefit the owners monetarily.

that can be easily fixed by saying you can have no more than two simultaneous 10 day contracts at a given time.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I do not see whats so hard to figure out. It used to be a 12 man roster with a DL. Teams abused that so they expanded it to 15 with inactives so it got rid of the farce.

What was stupid was players mysteriously getting and then healing plantar fasciitis like we used to do all the time to shuffle the roster and bend the rules.