PDA

View Full Version : Desert News: Spurs interested in Kyle Korver

Man Mountain
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
New Jersey and San Antonio also are thought to have interest in Korver, an unrestricted free agent who was Matthews' backup and the NBA's leading 3-point shooter last season.

The Jazz contacted Korver's camp Thursday and haven't ruled out re-signing him, but for now, chances of that happening seem remote.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700044803/Other-teams-like-Jazzs-Matthews.html?pg=2

spursfan1000
07-02-2010, 12:46 PM
No doubt they are interested but can we afford him?

timvp
07-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Considering that the Spurs would need to use at least a portion of their MLE to sign Korver, that's an interesting development if true.

lefty
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
We need 3 pt shooters

Badly

4>0rings
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM
But will he be able to sell fouls...

Dex
07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm interested in Jessica Alba but that shit ain't happenin' either.

lefty
07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm interested in Jessica Alba but that shit ain't happenin' either.
You never know

Creation88
07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
this is good news. he's much needed here. i'll take him over Little Richard any day.

2pac
07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
It is DeserEt News, not Desert news.

tuncaboylu
07-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Does it means Splitter not coming? We can't get Korver w/o MLE and we were planning to spend it for Splitter.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
New Jersey and San Antonio also are thought to have interest in Korver.

Not quite a contract offer.

07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
so the spurs have come to this huh? i never thought in the tim duncan era that kyle korver would be a good option for SF. he's basically just a shorter matt bonner who plays small forward, shoots 3's, and hustles on defense but can't make an impact. he would be a liability against all star caliber wings. definitely would get destroyed by melo, artest, and durant. but then again, after roger mason's disaster, korver looks like a pretty good option.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 01:10 PM
What free agent in recent history have the Spurs not been "thought to have interest in?"

Exactly.

Now how many of those guys ever wore the Silver and Black?

My Fault
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
It's more likely that the Spurs are looking for a sign and trade. Perhaps Ian would be in the mix given the question marks on Utah's front line. Maybe Mason? Why knows.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Spurs don't have bird rights on Ian.

ducks
07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I would like him for the lle

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I would like him for the lle

I would like to wake up next to Jessica Alba.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I'd love for it to happen but I think we might all just be getting Punk'd.

lefty
07-02-2010, 01:29 PM
:lol

Phenomanul
07-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Well... ever since we let go of Will Smith the Spurs' Championship caliber left...

hmmm...

maybe....

nah...

timvp
07-02-2010, 01:35 PM
It's more likely that the Spurs are looking for a sign and trade. Perhaps Ian would be in the mix given the question marks on Utah's front line. Maybe Mason? Why knows.

The Jazz are likely to lose Korver due to the lux tax. For that reason, a sign-and-trade would be unlikely.

The only chance would be for the Spurs to throw in some unguaranteed contracts and a sweetener ... but that too is unlikely.

AFBlue
07-02-2010, 01:36 PM
If Miller is getting $5M per year, then I think Korver is getting close to that.

Mel_13
07-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure either. I just asked in the Ian thread in the think tank and one answer was yes and the other was no. :wtf

Our rights with regard to Ian are limited because his 4th year option was declined last October.

Without using the LLE or MLE, the Spurs can sign Ian to a contract starting an amount no greater than the value of that 4th year option (just under 1.8M). In order to offer more than that, they would have to use the MLE or LLE.

ducks
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
so what are the jazz going to do about boozer
ian is bigger
I want ian as a spur but I would rather ian go to jazz then mavs

MannyIsGod
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Or a trade exception :smokin

rascal
07-02-2010, 01:40 PM
this is good news. he's much needed here. i'll take him over Little Richard any day.

Great another guy to stand around the 3 point line and do little else.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Yeah, lord knows we couldn't use a guy like that in our Phoenix series this year.

tp2021
07-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Actually, he can stand behind the 3-point line and hit shots. RJ couldn't. By the end of the season, he didn't even stand behind the line, which ruined the spacing even more.

AFBlue
07-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Did you watch the playoffs? The Spurs didn't have ANY reliable options on the perimeter to make teams pay when they closed in on penetrators. With Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Hill the Spurs have enough guys to create on offense. Now they need players to hit the open shots...and Korver fits that bill.

Again though, he's going to end up making more money that the Spurs can offer...if they're intent on fixing their other need (frontcourt athleticism/length) by using most, if not all the MLE on Splitter.

AFBlue
07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah, lord knows we couldn't use a guy like that in our Phoenix series this year.

Fixed. Did you get the memo?

lurker23
07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
http://media.timeoutchicago.com/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/151/151.x600.feature.brewview.officespace_lumbergh.jpg ?

Cane
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Don't see how Utah will let go of one of the best shooters in the NBA that just happens to be an Ashton Kutcher lookalike...he should be a huge fan favorite in Utah right?

His shooting would be nice to have (assuming it carries over!) although I expect him to play even worse defense than RJ and be nearly worthless if he's not getting open looks. The shooting touch would be nice though.

AFBlue
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
http://media.timeoutchicago.com/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/151/151.x600.feature.brewview.officespace_lumbergh.jpg ?

Yeeaah

lurker23
07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Don't see how Utah will let go of one of the best shooters in the NBA that just happens to be an Ashton Kutcher lookalike...he should be a huge fan favorite in Utah right?

He's definitely a fan favorite. However, they got Gordon Hayward to replace him. If they were both on the team at the same time, things could get ugly....

DPG21920
07-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Slap fights?

lurker23
07-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Slap fights?

In the locker room, or in the stands between female fans? (Or both?)

Blackjack
07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I just figured you were speaking to the inevitable cataclysmic event that would take place should they occupy the same space on the same team (see: Bonner-Scalabrine).

Chomag
07-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Would this mean that the negotiations with Splitter might not be going well? I'm just wondering if spurs have the money to sign him if they give Splitter a contract. Hope its just means it's a trade possibility.

ohmwrecker
07-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Not a surprising stance coming from you, but the only thing this dude can do better than RJ is shoot a higher 3pt% and win an Ashton Kutcher look-a-like contest.

Dex
07-02-2010, 02:23 PM

I got the memo... (http://homepage.mac.com/payote/TPSMemo.pdf)

Vic Petro
07-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Not a surprising stance coming from you, but the only thing this dude can do better than RJ is shoot a higher 3pt% and win an Ashton Kutcher look-a-like contest.

The Spurs need defense and 3pt shooting. Korver provides no defense and excellent 3pt shooting. Jefferson provides no defense and no 3pt shooting.

Obviously Korver is more difficult to acquire, which factors in, but player for player I'd rather have Korver for this team.

objective
07-02-2010, 02:26 PM

and he'd lose the Kutcher-contest to Splitter.

But RJ can win the Jason Taylor contest.

EricB
07-02-2010, 02:28 PM
The Spurs need defense and 3pt shooting. Korver provides no defense and excellent 3pt shooting. Jefferson provides no defense and no 3pt shooting.

Obviously Korver is more difficult to acquire, which factors in, but player for player I'd rather have Korver for this team.

Actually Korver isn't horrible on D, he's no Bruce Bowen, but he's decent.

Thank Jerry Sloan for that.

ohmwrecker
07-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Do not agree. RJ is a better defender than Korver by a mile and has the potential to be better next season. Korver has 0 potential to be a good defender. Ever.

Creation88
07-02-2010, 02:29 PM

you're just mad b/c korver probably can't lick your p**** like jefferson can. :downspin:

ohmwrecker
07-02-2010, 02:31 PM
you're just mad b/c korver probably can't lick your p**** like jefferson can. :downspin:

That's very mature. You have lost any shred of credibility, if you had any to begin with.

And you can just type out pussy, you won't get in trouble.

baseline bum
07-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I'd love to have him here if it doesn't get in the way of bringing Splitter.

Creation88
07-02-2010, 02:44 PM
That's very mature. You have lost any shred of credibility, if you had any to begin with.

And you can just type out pussy, you won't get in trouble.

look anything anti-Jefferson you're against. people could want Bosh in here and you'd discount it because Jefferson plays SF and Bosh does not.

you're ability to analyze talent/chemistry is terrible. Jefferson does not fit here and Korver is the MUCH better option. he gives us what this team needs a 3 pt threat.

Jefferson gives us nothing, zero.

lurker23
07-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I just figured you were speaking to the inevitable cataclysmic event that would take place should they occupy the same space on the same team (see: Bonner-Scalabrine).

:lol Indeed. And yes, a Bonner/Scalabrine combo would be very scary.

EricB
07-02-2010, 02:45 PM
and he'd lose the Kutcher-contest to Splitter.

But RJ can win the Jason Taylor contest.

Actually Splitter kinda looks like that dude that played stiffler more than Ashton Kutcher..

objective
07-02-2010, 02:48 PM
In the last 3 years in Utah, in a span of 27 playoff games Korver's averaged 39% from 3 and 88% from the line in about 22 minutes a game.

That's pretty much perfect for the Spurs. Because of his shooting he's a legit option in crunch-time for 3s unlike RJ, which would ease the pressure to play a Bonner, and is even useful as a designated FT shooter in the playoffs, though his regular seasons are up and down and the Spurs FT-Curse could nullify that. And he's not the most athletic guy anyway so his age won't affect his play too much.

But he's still fairly unrealistic as an option without the MLE, and without Splitter for the MLE it's all moot anyway.

ducks
07-02-2010, 02:54 PM
booner for him PLEASE
BOONER IS WHITE JAZZ!

ohmwrecker
07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
look anything anti-Jefferson you're against. people could want Bosh in here and you'd discount it because Jefferson plays SF and Bosh does not.

That is just completely and absolutely false. I've stated many times that I am for an RJ S&T. Bosh for Jefferson? Sure. Go ahead and explain how that would happen. I'm all ears.

JustinJDW
07-02-2010, 08:18 PM
No way we can bring in Splitter and also sign Korver.

EricB
07-02-2010, 08:19 PM
booner for him PLEASE
BOONER IS WHITE JAZZ!

Who the F is Booner?

Russ
07-02-2010, 08:23 PM
If it leads to Bonner's exit . . . :)

Or benching . . . :)

Or at least reduced role . . . :)

Or move to the front office ala Mitch Kupchak . . . :)

doobs
07-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Spurs need a tall, defensive SF who can hit an occasional corner 3. Defense first, though. Anyone can learn to shoot a corner 3.

EricB
07-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Spurs need a tall, defensive SF who can hit an occasional corner 3. Defense first, though. Anyone can learn to shoot a corner 3.

The Spurs would love for you to point them to said player also.

Shastafarian
07-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Can't wait for Pop to critique this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hiPvB_ABZs4/R9Nj1_jBBPI/AAAAAAAAAB4/ljfIt3cmzHU/s400/rmccants_400_080226.jpg

slick'81
07-02-2010, 08:31 PM
cant afford him after splitter and hes a total bitch on defense anyway

dbestpro
07-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Korver's defense is not Bowen, but its not RMJ either. Actually, all things considered he is a decent defender. Having said that the only way to get Korver is through a sign and trade that would probably require Utah to take back 2 of our free agents. I just don't see it happening.

wildbill2u
07-02-2010, 09:13 PM
New Jersey and San Antonio also are thought to have interest in Korver.

Not quite a contract offer.

We are thought to have an interest in every FA out there if you listen to the rumormongers and the agents of the FAs.

Show me the money!

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2010, 09:24 PM
they should do this trade to replace boozer, bonner is legit

rascal
07-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Korver would have made no difference in that series. He is not the type of player that turns a series sweep into a winner.

TimDunkem
07-02-2010, 11:14 PM
He defends the water bottles well on the pine, but he could not defend anyone in the nba, hes the sf vers of bonner.

I know I might get heat for this, but I agree with you. He's very much like Bonner (although he's not the choker Bonner is) in that he'll hit some jumpshots for you, and he'll try on defense, but he can't stop anybody.

There should be better options out there.

TheSpursFNRule
07-02-2010, 11:28 PM
It is DeserEt News, not Desert news.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2010, 11:39 PM
ashton kutcher on the spurs? lol

jesterbobman
07-03-2010, 12:18 AM
ashton kutcher on the spurs? lol

Hey, Combine that with Tiago "Sean Willilam Scott" Splitter and we've got the recipe for a giant Dude where's my car remake.

GSH
07-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Korver may look like Ashton Kucher, but he is a tough sonofabitch. He plays hard-nosed, borderline dirty ball, which is one of the reasons Jerry Sloan likes him. He gets under people's skin. When he sends someone to the line, he's good about making sure they are shooting 2, instead of getting and-1 opportunities. That toughness would be a welcome addition to the Spurs. I don't especially like him, but I have always respected the fact that he comes onto the floor and goes right to work.

The worst he has ever shot from the 3-P line is .352 in the regular season. The last two years he shot .462 and .478 from 3-P, in the playoffs. (Think how much that would have meant to the Spurs in the last two post-seasons.)

The problem is, he shot .532 from 3-P for the season. Someone is going to over-pay for him, but the Spurs can't afford to.

Those of you saying Korver is soft, or can't/won't defend are full of crap. Jerry sloan wouldn't put up with it. Period.

And comparing him to RJ is ridiculous. I respect Richard Jefferson's game, I'm just not sure he is a good fit in the Spurs system. But if there is one place he definitely doesn't fit, it is with the Jazz. Sloan would break RJ down so badly, he would be crying to go back to the East. Based on toughness and defense, RJ couldn't hold a roster spot on the Jazz - Korver can.

In a wide-open system, RJ is twice the player that Korver is. But the Spurs don't run wide-open, and never will while Pop is the coach. Korver could be a solid role-player here - but not at the price he is likely to command this off-season.

howbouthemspurs
07-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Korver would be perfect! we need that three point shooter! it was missing in last years playoffs

gospursgojas
07-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Korver would be perfect! we need that three point shooter! it was missing in last years playoffs

ZERO, 0, no D.

Pass

Flux451
07-03-2010, 10:10 AM
so the spurs have come to this huh? i never thought in the tim duncan era that kyle korver would be a good option for SF. he's basically just a shorter matt bonner who plays small forward, shoots 3's, and hustles on defense but can't make an impact. he would be a liability against all star caliber wings. definitely would get destroyed by melo, artest, and durant. but then again, after roger mason's disaster, korver looks like a pretty good option.

Difference is Korver looked to be clutch after Jazz's previous post season, something Bonner can't match. Nothing wrong with three pointers here and there while sufficing to a little less defensive impact. I don't seem him as a starter or a big min player. FIN didn't play great defense and made bone head mistakes, we got a ring with him.

dbestpro
07-03-2010, 10:16 AM
OK, so maybe his defense is not so good.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88216

sexinthatsx
07-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Meh... the SF I'm most interested in is Matt Barnes, and I will take him any day over Korver. We already have your 3 shooter in James Anderson, Matt Barnes can at least play better defense than Korver. But then again, Matt Barnes is unlikely as well.

Spurs Brazil
07-04-2010, 07:35 AM
If we can sign Korver for the LLE and Tiago with the MLE it would be a perfect summer. We would not need to pay RJ and Korver would be cheaper and a better fit

quentin_compson
07-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Meh... the SF I'm most interested in is Matt Barnes, and I will take him any day over Korver. We already have your 3 shooter in James Anderson, Matt Barnes can at least play better defense than Korver. But then again, Matt Barnes is unlikely as well.

Anderson hasn't played one minute of NBA basketball yet, so I wouldn't take that as given.

Das Texan
07-04-2010, 01:00 PM
I'll take Korver in a heartbeat. Would improve the shooting on this team tremendously and open up the spacing on the offensive end of the court.

With both Duncan and Splitter covering the rim, it should make it easier to account for Korver's short comings on defense, I could see the Spurs trying to go back to the defense played with Robinson around and just really funnel to the big guys.

So Splitter better get acclimated to the league real fast basically...:lol

BacktoBasics
07-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't know what the hold up is but they need to wrap this Splitter deal up and quick.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2010, 01:08 PM
If we can sign Korver for the LLE and Tiago with the MLE it would be a perfect summer. We would not need to pay RJ and Korver would be cheaper and a better fit

I highly doubt Korver will come for the LLE. If he would, that would be too perfect. But if Amir freakin Johnson can get $7M+ a year, taking the LLE would be an insult to Korver.

Das Texan
07-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Maybe Jerry Sloan will like him some Roger Mason and do a S&T.