PDA

View Full Version : MYSA: Jefferson to test free-agent market

Man Mountain
07-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Though Jefferson has told close associates he opted out of his contract earlier this week in hopes of signing a long-term deal with the Spurs, he is expected to first test the free-agent market for better offers.

New York, New Jersey or Miami could be in position to make an attractive offer for Jefferson, especially if those teams strike out in pursuit of big-name free agents.

“He wants to see if there is a long-term opportunity,” Todd Eley, Jefferson's agent, said. “There is a lot of opportunity out there. If you put all of that together, that's what he's looking at.”

rest of article : http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/waiting_game_on_for_jefferson_spurs_97716299.html

timvp
07-02-2010, 11:42 PM
:lmao Both the Express-News and Yahoo can't get their RJ rumors straight. First he opted out to go back to NY area, then it was to re-sign with the Spurs, then it was NY area but not the Nets, then it was probably the Spurs but nothing finalized, then there was specific contract numbers being talked about and now it's back to RJ testing the waters first before negotiating with the Spurs.

Usually Yahoo or E-N knows what's happening (usually Yahoo). In this situation, they are both flinging shtuff and hoping something sticks.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2010, 11:43 PM
looking at what the wolves and bucks dish out, then i see why not...since his better then those scrubs who just recently signed over market value

Mel_13
07-03-2010, 10:07 AM
“He wants to see if there is a long-term opportunity,” Todd Eley, Jefferson's agent, said. “There is a lot of opportunity out there. If you put all of that together, that's what he's looking at.”

RJ should have hired one of the guys closer to the top of this list:

http://hoopshype.com/agents.htm

ploto
07-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Though Jefferson has told close associates he opted out of his contract earlier this week in hopes of signing a long-term deal with the Spurs...

This makes little sense if he had not actually had any conversations with the Spurs about it before hand.

slick'81
07-03-2010, 02:01 PM
yawn go away rj

sananspursfan21
07-03-2010, 02:03 PM
:lmao Both the Express-News and Yahoo can't get their RJ rumors straight. First he opted out to go back to NY area, then it was to re-sign with the Spurs, then it was NY area but not the Nets, then it was probably the Spurs but nothing finalized, then there was specific contract numbers being talked about and now it's back to RJ testing the waters first before negotiating with the Spurs.

Usually Yahoo or E-N knows what's happening (usually Yahoo). In this situation, they are both flinging shtuff and hoping something sticks.

what a rollercoaster this whole thing has been. then again, who really knows what's true

ElNono
07-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I thought resigning him was imminent... :jack

8FOR!3
07-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd think he'd be better off in New York where he fits in the system.

Spurologist
07-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I have zero confidence in the spurs FO to get a suitable replacement for RJ if he leaves

Obstructed_View
07-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I think RJ, Amare and D'Antoni deserve each other.

smrattler
07-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Maybe RJ can join Amare and Parker in NY.

If we're lucky, we get Curry out of all of that and trade Splitter's rights to Houston so we can allow him to live his dream of coming to the NBA.

We're nice like that.

Pop likes to call out his team when they are soft on the court, we might have the softest front office in the league.

baseline bum
07-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Best case scenario is he walks and gives the Spurs a good trade exception in S&T, next best is he walks and the Spurs get nothing. Worst case is he's signed by the Spurs for 4-5 years.

EricB
07-03-2010, 04:14 PM
:lol how is the front office being soft prey tell?

PM5K
07-03-2010, 04:34 PM
The only team that should even be remotely interested in him is Dallas, where J-Kidd can spoon feed him easy shots again.

smrattler
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
If RJ walks away and we have nothing to show for it, they aren't being aggresive enough IMO.

Harry Callahan
07-03-2010, 05:19 PM
If RJ walks and leaves SA out in the cold with not cap room, he is what we thought he might be - a scumbag. It screws your teammates and organization.

EricB
07-03-2010, 05:25 PM
If RJ walks away and we have nothing to show for it, they aren't being aggresive enough IMO.

Yeah uh no.

Stump
07-03-2010, 05:29 PM
If RJ walks and leaves SA out in the cold with not cap room, he is what we thought he might be - a scumbag. It screws your teammates and organization.
Huh? A few weeks ago people were raking him over the coals for being selfish and taking a $15 million contract he didn't deserve. Now he's scum for not taking the money?

Do not get.

lurker23
07-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Yeah uh no.

Actually, he has a point. I'd rather the Spurs aggressively pursue a sign and trade, even to the point of throwing in a second round pick as a sweetner, than to let RJ walk without getting a trade exception.

2pac
07-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Actually, he has a point. I'd rather the Spurs aggressively pursue a sign and trade, even to the point of throwing in a second round pick as a sweetner, than to let RJ walk without getting a trade exception.

Nobody gives a fuck about a bottom-10 second round pick.

lurker23
07-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Nobody gives a fuck about a bottom-10 second round pick.

True, but I think if someone offers you one for free, you take it.

EricB
07-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Which neither the other team nor Jefferson would be obligated to give....

lurker23
07-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Which neither the other team nor Jefferson would be obligated to give....

Very true. However, if the two options are:

a. Team signs RJ for X amount of money and Y amount of years using cap space.

b. Team signs RJ for the identical contract, except they get a 2nd round pick from the Spurs.

Why would the team take option a over option b? The only reason I can think of is for the sake of competition against the Spurs, especially if said team is in the same division/conference.

objective
07-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Very true. However, if the two options are:

a. Team signs RJ for X amount of money and Y amount of years using cap space.

b. Team signs RJ for the identical contract, except they get a 2nd round pick from the Spurs.

Why would the team take option a over option b? The only reason I can think of is for the sake of competition against the Spurs, especially if said team is in the same division/conference.

fwiw, Bruno has detailed how because of bird rights, if S/T happens then X amount the first year would be lower than with a straight signing saving the team some space the first season.

lurker23
07-03-2010, 05:55 PM
fwiw, Bruno has detailed how because of bird rights, if S/T happens then X amount the first year would be lower than with a straight signing saving the team some space the first season.

Interesting. I'll have to try and find that one. I assume RJ wouldn't mind horribly, since he'd probably make up the difference with 10.5% raises instead of 8%.

baseline bum
07-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Nothing wrong with him looking out for his own interests. I mean, it sucks for the Spurs to not have a $15 million expiring, but with these horrible contracts being agreed to right now, I could see him pocketing an extra $21M or so on a 4 year deal, hopefully not in San Antonio.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2010, 06:29 PM
It's entirely possible that RJ figured he'd be better off leaving a sinking ship for a longer contract prior to the impending labor problems. His time in San Antonio has not turned out the way most people thought it would.