PDA

View Full Version : James Anderson ranked 8th in the first rookie rankings

spursbird
07-03-2010, 03:04 AM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/07/01/rookie.rankings/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

8. James Anderson (http://www.nba.com/draft2010/prospects/james-anderson), San Antonio Spurs
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/draft2010/headshot/Anderson_hs.jpg
Last Week: NR | Drafted: 20
Anderson has the opportunity to make an immediate impact in San Antonio. Anderson was a consistent, efficient scorer his junior season at Oklahoma State, averaging 22.3 points while taking home Big 12 Player of the Year honors. The Spurs found a gem (DeJuan Blair) in the second round last season, and Anderson could end up being another steal. Anderson is dealing with a hamstring injury that kept him out of pre-Draft workouts, but the Spurs are expecting him to be a key contributor off the bench.

Wow, it seems Drew Packham is really high on this boy. Surely I hope he would become whom he was supposed to be. Go Spurs go!

buttsR4rebounding
07-03-2010, 03:19 AM
He ranks him 8th even with Blake Griffin being ranked #1 since he is still considered a rookie this year.

tdunk21
07-03-2010, 03:24 AM
not bad

DMX7
07-03-2010, 03:25 AM
THat's not a bad list.

GSH
07-03-2010, 04:28 AM
I hope he is right. But right now, nobody knows how any of the new rookies will be able to handle the NBA. Ranking Anderson that high in the pre-season is more of a commentary on the Spurs ability to find draft bargains.

Look at it another way: Just a few days earlier, there were at least 12 NBA GM's who didn't think he was the 8th best player in the draft. So what changed? He got picked by the Spurs. That's enough to convince people that he was probably better than where he got picked.

spursbird
07-03-2010, 04:36 AM
I hope he is right. But right now, nobody knows how any of the new rookies will be able to handle the NBA. Ranking Anderson that high in the pre-season is more of a commentary on the Spurs ability to find draft bargains.

Look at it another way: Just a few days earlier, there were at least 12 NBA GM's who didn't think he was the 8th best player in the draft. So what changed? He got picked by the Spurs. That's enough to convince people that he was probably better than where he got picked.
Haha, appreciate your math. Spurs always did good jobs in drafts. Maybe except Ian, but I really had a high expectation on him.

Darkwaters
07-03-2010, 05:52 AM

Nothing changed. But Anderson still could very easily be the 8th best player in this year's rookie class (or 7th best in this draft). Reason being is because teams (especially those drafting high) typically draft high potential players. Just because they have a high ceiling now doesn't mean they're worth a damn now either. Anderson is experienced, seasoned and NBA ready. As a result, hes likely to make a bigger splash next year in some instances than players drafted well before him. Now, in 3 years this board will look significantly different, but for now, Anderson is probably placed about right.

Danny.Zhu
07-03-2010, 06:18 AM
I doubt he could surpass Blair's impact on the team, which is also very limited.

TDMVPDPOY
07-03-2010, 06:27 AM
so where is splitter on this list if this is going to be his rookie season

if anderson can produce what first year players at teh spurs then its a good draft pick...hopefully he either pans out like jax...

kobyz
07-03-2010, 06:35 AM
if Duncan and Splitter in lineup i think James Anderson could be the 3 man with no much problem, his size could be overcome with two great defensive bigs with size behind him.

spursbird
07-03-2010, 07:12 AM
so where is splitter on this list if this is going to be his rookie season

if anderson can produce what first year players at teh spurs then its a good draft pick...hopefully he either pans out like jax...
Splitter>Griffin now IMO.

8FOR!3
07-03-2010, 07:48 AM
I'd say James Anderson is a pretty calculate risk as a player. He's ranked on there one behind Derrick Favors, who everybody on here was willing to give up Parker for and one ahead of Paul George, who everybody cried about when he was taken by Indiana.

Muser
07-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Splitter>Griffin now IMO.

:lmao

wut
07-03-2010, 09:29 AM
I guess this will depend on our roster and needs if he will even make the roster or sit in the dleague. ( :) jk .... of course we could use this guy NOW! ...especially with reports of Mason all but gone)

Solid D
07-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Jay Bilas' Best Players Available during the NBA draft broadcast were:
1. John Wall
2. Evan Turner
3. Derrick Favors
4. Wesley Johnson
5. Greg Monroe
6. DeMarcus Cousins
7. Al-Farouq Aminu
8. Ekpe Udoh
9. Luke Babbitt
10. James Anderson

Certainly, Splitter will be in the mix when he comes over. Once the season starts, so many of these rankings become stats-oriented and weighted.

Seventyniner
07-03-2010, 10:48 AM
The only thing that would keep Splitter from being top 5 in this past draft (had he been in it) would've been his age. I can see Splitter getting serious attention for Rookie of the Year if he starts and is a big contributor. He'll probably contribute more than all but 3 or 4 players from this class this coming season anyway; I can't see Favors, Monroe, or several others putting up big numbers immediately.

ohmwrecker
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
The only thing that matters is how much the Spurs value him. I have a feeling that should become pretty clear after the FA bonanza starts to die down and we see what Spurs roster is settling into.

ChuckD
07-03-2010, 10:57 AM
The thing about a player like Anderson is that he isn't a franchise guy, and if you're picking in the top 10, you want a shot at that. They'd rather reach for a kid that has less right now and higher possible upside. Each year they reach further and further with the raw kids, allowing good players to drop into the middle and late first round.

spursbird
07-03-2010, 11:00 AM
:lmao
We'll see. You can take Oden as an example.

Muser
07-03-2010, 12:16 PM
We'll see. You can take Oden as an example.

Please, Griffin is 10000000000 times the player Oden is.

Blackjack
07-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Nothing changed. But Anderson still could very easily be the 8th best player in this year's rookie class (or 7th best in this draft). Reason being is because teams (especially those drafting high) typically draft high potential players. Just because they have a high ceiling now doesn't mean they're worth a damn now either. Anderson is experienced, seasoned and NBA ready. As a result, hes likely to make a bigger splash next year in some instances than players drafted well before him. Now, in 3 years this board will look significantly different, but for now, Anderson is probably placed about right.

:tu

But add to that where a particular player is drafted -- taking into consideration team need, the surrounding cast and culture of the organization -- and it's much easier to see how a lesser player (possibly) in the long-term can make a more immediate impact in the short-term.

Anderson isn't a long-term project and he went to a great situation where he fills a team need. As far as a pre-season projections for players that should make the best and quickest impact right off the bat, Anderson should be ranked in the Top-10.

spursfan1000
07-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't know much about Anderson, I just know he was the #1 option on a team that had no talent, but hopefully he lives up to his expectations.

Harry Callahan
07-03-2010, 01:24 PM
I wish I would have known the future and watched him more carefully when he was in college. He looked pretty good the few times I did see OSU. A pure shooter that is learning how to draw fouls sounds good to me.

ceperez
07-03-2010, 01:28 PM

Agree with you, right on the mark.

Anderson likely will not be an All Star, but he'll be in good position to thrive with the Spurs. The Spurs need players that don't need to hog the ball much to score. If the scouting report is true that he's a good catch and shoot player, knows how to get himself to the free throw line and can play good perimeter defense then that's what this team needs.

RJ shot with a poor percentage from the 3 point line. Has trouble with the catch and shoot. Doesn't get himself to the line often enough and finally is terrible defending the perimeter. He may be able to create his own shot, but when challenged, he is unable to change his shot to adapt to the defense.

Hooks
07-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not surprised, he was easily the 2nd best SG in this years draft and extremely underrated in college. It's good to see someone else that thinks this highly of him.

spursbird
07-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Please, Griffin is 10000000000 times the player Oden is.
Hmmm... The same remark on Oden before he was drafted.

spursbird
07-03-2010, 02:41 PM
:tu

But add to that where a particular player is drafted -- taking into consideration team need, the surrounding cast and culture of the organization -- and it's much easier to see how a lesser player (possibly) in the long-term can make a more immediate impact in the short-term.

Anderson isn't a long-term project and he went to a great situation where he fills a team need. As far as a pre-season projections for players that should make the best and quickest impact right off the bat, Anderson should be ranked in the Top-10.
Yep. Potential always seems to be attractive to every GM. But it is also too unpredictable. Every year the GMs keep betting and betting on the potential using the lottery picks, and they rarely succeeded.