PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys consider Suarez a cheater for the handball?

Amuseddaysleeper
07-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I've been reading a ton of articles that are grilling Suarez for disrespecting the game and being a cheater, but I can totally understand why he did that for Uruguay.

The rules are the rules and I don't doubt for a second that Suarez knew he'd be automatically suspended and that Ghana would be given a penalty shot. In hindsight, how can you blame Suarez for what he did? The tactic worked perfectly, and the rules were clearly stated in advance what the punishment should be if a player was to ever try such a thing. Now FIFA is considering suspending him for additional games after the one game ban.

I was rooting for Ghana, and that was one of the most devastating losses I have seen in sports in recent years. Some say Suarez should have apologized, but he just did what he needed to do to keep his team alive. It's like intentionally fouling Shaq. It's cheap, you pay a penalty, but you do it if it gives you an advantage.

Thoughts? I'm probably going to be in the minority on this.

DAF86
07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
In basketball, do you consider a guy that stops a fast break with a foul a cheater? I don't.

Bukefal
07-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Suarez can not be blamed. I mean, he did what everyone would do. Even if he did not do it on purpose, its just a automatic reaction, instinct, to put your hand up and hold the ball. If he didn't he would be home now, so of course he put his hand up to hold the ball. Ghana got a penalty for it, they missed it and that's it.

resistanze
07-03-2010, 12:07 PM
This was probably discussed ad nauseam in the game thread. But I'll repeat my sentiments from that thread.

It was ugly, but it worked. Like Hack-a-Shaq. We wouldn't have been talking about the handball if Gyan converts the penalty. Nothing to apologize for, we should move on.

jag
07-03-2010, 12:07 PM
No. He did what he had to do, and a PK is the perfect answer to this type of play.

To me, it was a heady play that also showed how bad he wanted the W.

DMX7
07-03-2010, 12:08 PM
He should also know that FIFA reserves the right to ban him for more than one game if they feel he disrespected the "spirit" of the game and showed poor sportsmanship.

Either way, it worked and his team is moving on but he should have known if could have meant more than a one game suspension. But FIFA has very small balls if they have any at all, so I would be surprised if they suspend him for the Final should they get there.

DMX7
07-03-2010, 12:09 PM
But I don't have a problem with it.

lefty
07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
How is that cheating?

Its not like he dived like an Italian to get a penalty

He took a risk, he got a red card, he is suspended for 2 games

He went by the rules, the referee went by the rules

Ghana missed a penalty; if they missed it, it's their problem

If Gyan put the ball in the back of the net, people wouldnt be talking about "cheating"

Amuseddaysleeper
07-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm surprised at the reaction of this thread so far. Everywhere else on the internet people are calling for Suarez's head.

Good takes guys :toast

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Not in the least bit.

You never concede a goal, TD, basket, etc. because you never know what will happen on the PS, PK, next play, FT line, etc.

Ghana has no one to blame but themselves. Bury the PK and this is nothing but maybe a blip in this WC.

ffadicted
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I won't comment anymore on this because I've said all I wanted to say yesterday, but imo if this was done by an argentinian or a brasilian, everybody would be jumping on that shit imo

Spurologist
07-03-2010, 12:35 PM
it's a bang bang play....he almost acted on impulse. I've been in those situations as a defender. It's very difficult to not to reach out with your hand when you know you can't reach the ball otherwise. I don't consider it cheating and never will

SevenX
07-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I've said it on another forum. Suarez is the man for doing that. When you grow up playing futbol, you dream of playing in the world cup and winning. He gave his team another chance to advance and I applaud him for that.

Gyan fucked up. For crying about sportsmanship, they (Ghana) sure didn't show it against USA when they were diving and running the clock.

lol Africa

resistanze
07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I've said it on another forum. Suarez is the man for doing that. When you grow up playing futbol, you dream of playing in the world cup and winning. He gave his team another chance to advance and I applaud him for that.

Gyan fucked up. For crying about sportsmanship, they (Ghana) sure didn't show it against USA when they were diving and running the clock.

lol Africa

USA got nothing to do with this incident. Leave that shit team outta this.

quentin_compson
07-03-2010, 01:15 PM
No, he did what was best for his team, and he probably did it on instinct as well (not really much time to think of anything in this situation).
He got red-carded, and Gyan missing the penalty is nobody's fault but his own.

usdane
07-03-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm surprised at the reaction of this thread so far. Everywhere else on the internet people are calling for Suarez's head.

Good takes guys :toast

This is Spurstalk and here most want's to win be any means necessary. Suarez did what he had to do.

jag
07-03-2010, 01:20 PM
USA got nothing to do with this incident. Leave that shit team outta this.

lol africa

lefty
07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
lol africa
lol usa losing to Africa

jag
07-03-2010, 01:31 PM
lol usa losing to Africa

Let's not do Africa vs US....it'll get ugly in this bitch

lefty
07-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Sure :lol

resistanze
07-03-2010, 01:32 PM

It will.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-03-2010, 01:34 PM
lol usa losing to Africa

The US lost to real Africans.....not terrorist shitheads in Northern Africa

lefty
07-03-2010, 01:45 PM
The US lost to real Africans.....not terrorist shitheads in Northern Africa
lol USA

lol imperialists who need to invade other countries to make $

lol Donovan

lol fatsos

lol healthcare

lol Suns

lol Channing Frye

jag
07-03-2010, 01:49 PM
This might be good

LoneStarState'sPride
07-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Suarez did what he fucking had to do to keep his team alive. The hack-a-shaq analogy or the clear path to the basket fouls are perfect analogies. Regardless of the "spirit of the game" crap, the fact remains that Suarez knew the rule and willfully broke it, no different than an intentional foul in basketball. The onus is all on the opposing team to make the perpetrator pay for their infraction (i.e., making their free throw or penalty kick). If Ghana simply puts the ball through, Suarez would've been going home with the rest of the team anyway, but committing the foul gave his team the slightest crack of opportunity, which is what every player on the field is supposed to be doing in the first place. His handball was about as far from cheating as you could be without committing a foul at all.

Oh, and much respect to Ghana--hell of a team, and it was hard to watch them go out that way. All the "lol africa" mess is bullshit (as is talking shit about a gritty American team, for that matter, but I digress).

Congrats to Uruguay!

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-03-2010, 04:14 PM
He played within the rules and got the suspension he deserved, BUT anyone think they should introduce a 'penalty goal' rule ? For example, in Rugby, if you blatantly do something 'dirty' to stop a certain try, then the ref will award a try anyway.

What if they just awarded a goal if it is a 'deliberate' handball on the goal line? (and no, not like the Kewell Handball, that was not deliberate :lmao )

A penalty kick in the box is not a given, where as that was a certain goal if Suarez hadn't used his hands.

resistanze
07-03-2010, 04:35 PM
He played within the rules and got the suspension he deserved, BUT anyone think they should introduce a 'penalty goal' rule ? For example, in Rugby, if you blatantly do something 'dirty' to stop a certain try, then the ref will award a try anyway.

What if they just awarded a goal if it is a 'deliberate' handball on the goal line? (and no, not like the Kewell Handball, that was not deliberate :lmao )

A penalty kick in the box is not a given, where as that was a certain goal if Suarez hadn't used his hands.

One thing I'll say is that it's VERY unfair that Suarez and Kewell's handball offenses are treated the exact same.

Kewell's hand blocked a goal, but it was pretty much unintentional. He was given a red card and a penalty. Suarez INTENTIONALLY volleyed a ball out of the goal with his hands, and got the same penalty. I don't believe the two should be treated the same. I doubt a 'goaltending' rule would work out so well, but he should be punished for a longer period of time.

Ozzy
07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
He did what the rules allow and he got punished for it by the rules.

Just for reference: Tevez scored a goal when he knew he was offside and nobody is considering him a cheater ...

If Suarez did the same thing in, for example, 60th minute of the match nobody would be debating this today ...

Capt Bringdown
07-03-2010, 10:16 PM
The rules are weak. Cheating is rewarded in soccer, that's why it's an inferior game.
It should be like a goaltending call in basketball.
No need for a penalty kick, the ball would have gone in, fair and square.

urunobili
07-03-2010, 10:55 PM
lol Capt Soredown? u mad? u don't know a fucking bit about Football so a recommendation for you... stay away from posting on here if you don't want to get owned u sore fucking loser :loser

It shouldn't have even came to that play u fucktard it was a non existent foul created by the refs and TWO fucking offsides. The hand just brought fucking justice you fucking idiot.

NRHector
07-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Hell!!!! in Basketball Lebron walks when he goes for a layup and he gets rewarded with 2 points and a foul, is illegal and he does it anyway.

Suarez knew it was illegal to do that. He reacted took a chance and it worked to his team advantage, Suarez is not a cheater I guess he's more like a hero.

Capt Bringdown
07-03-2010, 11:14 PM
lol Capt Soredown? u mad? u don't know a fucking bit about Football so a recommendation for you... stay away from posting on here if you don't want to get owned u sore fucking loser :loser

It seems you're the one who's had an emotional meltdown. How old are you, twelve? I'll post anywhere I want, thank you, and for your childish temper-tantrum name calling, Welcome to my ignore list!

urunobili
07-03-2010, 11:19 PM
It seems you're the one who's had an emotional meltdown. How old are you, twelve? I'll post anywhere I want, thank you, and for your childish temper-tantrum name calling, Welcome to my ignore list!

you started it by using the word "cheating"... I won't be able to sleep because a newcomer puts me on his/her ignore list :sleep

lefty
07-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Fuck

Its not the 1st time a player does that

All of sudden, people make a big deal out of it

Give me a fucking break

nkdlunch
07-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I had predicted Ghana to go through. Of course they deserved to and should have. After seeing the Suarez hand ball, which is much more than a mere hand ball. Dude blocks the ball like a goal keeper, with both hands.

yes it is cheating IMO.

urunobili
07-07-2010, 10:09 AM
I had predicted Ghana to go through. Of course they deserved to and should have. After seeing the Suarez hand ball, which is much more than a mere hand ball. Dude blocks the ball like a goal keeper, with both hands.

yes it is cheating IMO.

not Football knowledgeable American with a not Football knowledgeable post

nkdlunch
07-07-2010, 10:33 AM
not Football knowledgeable American with a not Football knowledgeable post

english mofo, do you speak it?

SevenX
07-07-2010, 10:43 AM

The next Namlook!! :lmao

ffadicted
07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Welcome to my ignore list!

lmao

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2010, 11:05 AM
if the handball is clearly intentional..u award the team a goal not a penalty shot cause shit happens :)....offender gets red carded.

then again i dunno why they dont use cameras...cause they dont wanna show replays of divers? or exposing phony refs?

rascal
07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Not in the least bit.

You never concede a goal, TD, basket, etc. because you never know what will happen on the PS, PK, next play, FT line, etc.

Ghana has no one to blame but themselves. Bury the PK and this is nothing but maybe a blip in this WC.

They should not have had to bury a penalty kick if this cheat didn't cross the line. Only goal tenders are allowed to use their hands so yes he cheated when he intentionally stopped the goal with his hands. He crossed the lines of the game. The penalty is not strict enough.

The goal should have been allowed and he should have been banned for life from all future World Cup games. That will put a stop quickly to this sort of play.

rascal
07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Fuck

Its not the 1st time a player does that

All of sudden, people make a big deal out of it

Give me a fucking break

It is a big deal. It directly resulted in changing the outcome of the game.

rascal
07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
He did what the rules allow and he got punished for it by the rules.

Just for reference: Tevez scored a goal when he knew he was offside and nobody is considering him a cheater ...

If Suarez did the same thing in, for example, 60th minute of the match nobody would be debating this today ...

The rules do not allow what he did. The penalty is too lenient for the play.

rascal
07-07-2010, 11:20 AM
One thing I'll say is that it's VERY unfair that Suarez and Kewell's handball offenses are treated the exact same.

Kewell's hand blocked a goal, but it was pretty much unintentional. He was given a red card and a penalty. Suarez INTENTIONALLY volleyed a ball out of the goal with his hands, and got the same penalty. I don't believe the two should be treated the same. I doubt a 'goaltending' rule would work out so well, but he should be punished for a longer period of time.

Agree. An intentional block should bring a lifetime ban.

rascal
07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
The rules are weak. Cheating is rewarded in soccer, that's why it's an inferior game.
It should be like a goaltending call in basketball.
No need for a penalty kick, the ball would have gone in, fair and square.

Agree. The goal should have been awarded.

I dont agree that cheating is rewarded in soccer but the penalty for cheating is too lenient. Just award the goal and throw the player out and fewer players will try it. It is an easy fix.

sonic21
07-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Why are the men that cheat with famous handballs always in blue? The color's cursed I tell you.

Even though it was cheating, and he pain the rightful penalty for it, It's still genius.

He has nothing to lose, if he doesn't handball it it's in, game over, they're out.

Johnny RIngo
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
In basketball, do you consider a guy that stops a fast break with a foul a cheater? I don't.

+1

The player was penalized and Ghana was awarded a penalty. There's nothing more you can do in that situation. This isn't basketball where you can just give out goaltendings.

Johnny RIngo
07-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Even though it was cheating, and he pain the rightful penalty for it, It's still genius.

He has nothing to lose, if he doesn't handball it it's in, game over, they're out.

Exactly. I remember a moment during one of my little brother's soccer games where the GK came out of the box and there was only one defender left to protect the goal. The opposing team hit a long shot and the lone defender tried to head the ball away but couldn't reach high enough to stop the ball. Everyone in the crowd felt he should have used his hands to stop the ball in that situation. By the rationale of this thread, most the spectators that day might as well be deemed cheaters.

urunobili
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Racist American being racist... no upsets there... :wakeup

and BTW I do speak English among other 3 languages and most likely I speak it better than you and your family that probably isn't American anyway :rolleyes

nkdlunch
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Racist American being racist... no upsets there... :wakeup

and BTW I do speak English among other 3 languages and most likely I speak it better than you and your family that probably isn't American anyway :rolleyes

racist? LOL

you realize your great grandparents were killin indians for fun right?

urunobili
07-07-2010, 02:18 PM
racist? LOL

you realize your great grandparents were killin indians for fun right?

them not me... YOU are being a xenophobe with your post couldn't careless what your granparent's did wherever they were...

nkdlunch
07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
them not me... YOU are being a xenophobe with your post couldn't careless what your granparent's did wherever they were...

so because I think Suarez is a cheat, I am a xenophobe??

LMAO

urunobili
07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
so because I think Suarez is a cheat, I am a xenophobe??

LMAO

:rolleyes

:owned

mabrignani
07-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Its not like he dived like an Italian to get a penalty

spain dives more than italy, so does brazil
fact is everyone dives, even manu dives(flops)

mudyez
07-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Do you guys consider Suarez a cheater for the handball?

No, but a douche for his behavior afterwards (his "hands of god" statement and so on)!