PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason: "I dont think I'll ever leave San Antonio"

tdunk21
07-04-2010, 12:32 AM
http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/july/mason-qi-dont-think-ill-ever-leave-san-antonioq.html

Written by Jeff Garcia
Saturday, 03 July 2010 23:43

While it seems San Antonio Spurs' free-agent, Roger Mason Jr., might not be re-signing with the Spurs, there is one thing he knows for sure, he fell in love with the city:

“I don't think I'll ever leave San Antonio,” the Spurs free-agent guard said Saturday. “I'm not planning to sell my house. I came down here and really fell in love with the city. I'll probably retire here.”

Mason on offers he has received from other teams:

“There have been a couple offers,” said Mason, declining to name the teams involved. “I haven't agreed to anything yet. I'm still weighing my options, waiting to see what happens.”

Mason drew the ire of Spurs fans as his production from his first year to the second year as a Spur dropped. As mentioned, he has reportedly received interest from teams such as the Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls and the Portland Trailblazers.

Needless to say chances are high Mason will not be in a Spurs' uniform next season but his fans in San Antonio might still see "Money" Mase out and about in San Antonio.

lefty
07-04-2010, 12:33 AM
I thought he had already retired

EricB
07-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Rogers good people.

Good luck to him wherever he goes next year.

lefty
07-04-2010, 12:39 AM
That means Pop is not done destroying his confidence by playing him as a backup PG

sammy
07-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Good luck Roger Mason Jr on wherever you play!:toast I liked him and I will never forget the 3 point shot that he made to win the game against the Fakers! Watching the Rapist face was priceless!

Kori Ellis
07-04-2010, 12:45 AM
The whole E-N article (which the quotes above were taken from) is actually good. He seems to appreciate the Spurs organization and the city a lot.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/free_agent_mason_prepared_to_move_on_97750319.html

EricB
07-04-2010, 12:50 AM
That means Pop is not done destroying his confidence by playing him as a backup PG

Oh boo fucking hoo.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2010, 12:51 AM
:lol poor Mason..he loves the Spurs and the city and all, but he's probably read SpursTalk, which was probably a horrible experience for him:lol..until he looked at his bank account..

IronMexican
07-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Good luck Roger Mason Jr on wherever you play!:toast I liked him and I will never forget the 3 point shot that he made to win the game against the Fakers! Watching the Rapist face was priceless!

It was a 2 pointer. Fisher fouled him to complete a 3 point play.

Andy25
07-04-2010, 12:59 AM
http://mobmg.photobucket.com/albums/v200/leedude42/CoolFace.jpg?t=1274985113

Problem San Antonio?

lefty
07-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Oh boo fucking hoo.
He was playing well as a SG before Pop's experimentation

EricB
07-04-2010, 01:05 AM
He was playing well as a SG before Pop's experimentation

So the experimentation in November screwed him over? shocking.

davidbowie
07-04-2010, 01:06 AM
http://imgur.com/RrDUo.jpg

:downspin:

good luck roger

lefty
07-04-2010, 01:12 AM
So the experimentation in November screwed him over? shocking.
November only?

Where the fuck have you been?

EricB
07-04-2010, 01:39 AM
November only?

Where the fuck have you been?

He started as the point guard in November and was still puting up big points, if it screwed him up so bad, why did he score so well in november december?

Its ok, I know its never the players fault.

DMX7
07-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Rogers is definitely good people. He fits in well here. Too bad his game doesn't (not trying to be funny). He's a class act though.

alchemist
07-04-2010, 02:43 AM
I've given Mason a lot of sh** the past year over the basketball side of things like most of ST...but on the personal level he seems like a cool dude, humble. Good luck to him on the rest of his career. :toast

greyforest
07-04-2010, 05:11 AM

TJastal
07-04-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm willing to bet Mason becomes productive again somewhere else under a different coach, should be interesting to see what teams have made him offers.

Wouldn't it be funny if he ends up getting resigned by the spurs? :D

bigfan
07-04-2010, 08:17 AM
I dont know, I know he totally sucked last season but the guy said he was injured. I remember the season before last we were all saying what a great player the guy was. I remember him winning a few games for us too. He's a sharp guy and seems to be a good locker room guy; wish there was a way to see which guy would play next season, the sharpshooter or the dud. If he could get back to a couple of years ago Id keep him.

dbestpro
07-04-2010, 08:55 AM
RMJ is a catch and shoot player. Period.

When he is used in this fashion he can be highly effective. When Pop moved him to PG, it screwed with his game. Last summer, in an effort to become the PG Pop wanted, he worked hard on driving to the basket. This threw his game off more coupled with an injury towards the end of the season. RMJ will be effective again when used towards his strengths.

You will see that in the future he will be an effective catch and shoot bench player for another team. One of Pops main criticisms is that he takes players out of their comfort zone and tries to get them to do things that are not part of their game.

(Jordan was asked, "Which do you work on more, the things you do well or the things you don't do so well?" He replied, "The things I do well. After all that is why I am where I am at."

SCdac
07-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Nothing wrong with that, wanting to live here in town and all. If he feels like he can call this city home, good for him. As a player though, he's got his faults just like any player. It's not just his shooting that left something to be desired, he's kind of undersized and not the greatest defender. But hopefully for his sake he finds a good team.

boutons_deux
07-04-2010, 10:07 AM
If he were only as half as good a bball player and shooter as he is a person ...

Maybe he can find it again (he never had much to offer anyway), but don't be looking for it in a Spurs uniform.

wildbill2u
07-04-2010, 10:35 AM
The whole E-N article (which the quotes above were taken from) is actually good. He seems to appreciate the Spurs organization and the city a lot.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/free_agent_mason_prepared_to_move_on_97750319.html

He would join a lot of Spurs who learned to love the city and fans and retired here, no matter where their previous home ties were.

Interestly, all of these retirees are good people to start with and good citizens of the city. The bad guys go away somewhere else and that's fine with me.

Spurologist
07-04-2010, 10:46 AM
trying to build some bridges, eh?????

ChuckD
07-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Isn't Roger an Architecture major? If so, San Antonio is in the top 3 most unique cities in the US in that respect, along with New Orleans and San Francisco.

LoneStarState'sPride
07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Isn't Roger an Architecture major? If so, San Antonio is in the top 3 most unique cities in the US in that respect, along with New Orleans and San Francisco.

Did not know that--that's pretty cool. I like RMJ a lot--that 3 pointer against the Suns on Christmas day will always be one of my favorite Spurs moments. He's humble too--glad he's taken to SAtown :toast

jimo2305
07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
now i feel bad for hatin' on him lol..

Das Texan
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Roger seems like a cool dude.

Too bad things didnt work out with the Spurs but glad to see him wanting to stick around the city.

Das Texan
07-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Ya he is. And isnt it a 4some thats listed as the unique cities with Boston added to that list or am I thinking of something else?

LOL@MavsFan
07-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Roger Mason is the reason I drink Venom

alchemist
07-04-2010, 07:31 PM

When he is used in this fashion he can be highly effective. When Pop moved him to PG, it screwed with his game. Last summer, in an effort to become the PG Pop wanted, he worked hard on driving to the basket. This threw his game off more coupled with an injury towards the end of the season. RMJ will be effective again when used towards his strengths.

You will see that in the future he will be an effective catch and shoot bench player for another team. One of Pops main criticisms is that he takes players out of their comfort zone and tries to get them to do things that are not part of their game.

(Jordan was asked, "Which do you work on more, the things you do well or the things you don't do so well?" He replied, "The things I do well. After all that is why I am where I am at."
If his best players stayed healthy, role players wouldn't have to play out of position. :wakeup

Blackjack
07-04-2010, 07:37 PM

This is the type of insight and analysis that leaves no one questioning dbestpro's views and opinions of Hairston and others. :tu

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I do not understand all the RMJ hate on this board. It's quite startling actually.

It's also startling to watch Spurs history be re-written before my eyes with all the needless hate towards the man.

Yes he sucked this last season, yes his injury was a huge blow, yes he was wrong to bitch about PT and trades.

But the fact of the matter is, until Pop demanded him to play a certain way, placing him in a position to fail and shattering his confidence for the rest of his Spurs career, he was really fucking good for us, and won a bunch of games with clutch threes.

His three against the Lakers and Suns were bad ass memorable games. He did that. Treating him like Derek Fisher is an injustice. I am no big fan of RMJ and actually want him off the team, but I do not think he deserves all the hate being thrown at him on this message board.

He has never been the same since Pop made him be backup pg over Hill in the 09 season and that's the facts. He didn't start sucking by himself. It's not all his fault.

spursfan1000
07-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Just when I thought he was for sure gone.

Blackjack
07-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't hate Mason at all. I don't even blame him for feeling the way he did about his minutes in a contract year.

That said, he's one-dimensional. And whether you want to blame the ineptitude of that one dimension on Pop, injury or anything else, he became a one-trick pony incapable of performing that trick. The Spurs need better. Simple as that.

If I ever run into him, I'll be happy to give him my best and reminisce about those shots he authored against the Clippers, Lakers, Suns and Celtics. Good times, great shots.

Time to move on.

mingus
07-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I do not understand all the RMJ hate on this board. It's quite startling actually.

It's also startling to watch Spurs history be re-written before my eyes with all the needless hate towards the man.

Yes he sucked this last season, yes his injury was a huge blow, yes he was wrong to bitch about PT and trades.

But the fact of the matter is, until Pop demanded him to play a certain way, placing him in a position to fail and shattering his confidence for the rest of his Spurs career, he was really fucking good for us, and won a bunch of games with clutch threes.

His three against the Lakers and Suns were bad ass memorable games. He did that. Treating him like Derek Fisher is an injustice. I am no big fan of RMJ and actually want him off the team, but I do not think he deserves all the hate being thrown at him on this message board.

He has never been the same since Pop made him be backup pg over Hill in the 09 season and that's the facts. He didn't start sucking by himself. It's not all his fault.

Mason played out of position for a chunk of the 08-09 season, but last season he was given the opportunity to play where he's best suited and he didn't re-establish himself there. fact of the matter is also that he played a lot of pg in Washington, so that was on his resume. part of Pop wanting to play him there had to do with his success at the position previously. and it's more Mason's fault that he wasn't able to regain his confidence than Pop (supposedly) breaking it. lots of players lose confidence at some point in their career and overcome it. Pop did nothing abnormal.

Mason pretty much just proved why he is a marginal NBA player at best last season and shouldn't be relied upon by any championship team imo. Pop didn't make him suck. he's sucked for a long time, which explains why he's been in and out of the league and in other international leagues. dude just isn't that good. his most memorable moments were great, but even in two of those games where he hit the game winner (the Celtics and Suns game) he had shitty games. i didn't see the Clippers game. LA game he was good in.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Mason played out of position for a chunk of the 08-09 season, but last season he was given the opportunity to play where he's best suited and he didn't re-establish himself there. fact of the matter is also that he played a lot of pg in Washington, so that was on his resume. part of Pop wanting to play him there had to do with his success at the position previously. and it's more Mason's fault that he wasn't able to regain his confidence than Pop (supposedly) breaking it. lots of players lose confidence at some point in their career and overcome it. Pop did nothing abnormal.

Mason pretty much just proved why he is a marginal NBA player at best last season and shouldn't be relied upon by any championship team imo. Pop didn't make him suck. he's sucked for a long time, which explains why he's been in and out of the league and in other international leagues. dude just isn't that good. his most memorable moments were great, but even in two of those games where he hit the game winner (the Celtics and Suns game) he had shitty games. i didn't see the Clippers game. LA game he was good in.

Points taken but there is a difference between a Spur who sucks and a Spur that is totally spat upon and hated by spurs fans. Mason's been getting thrashed on here lately and I don't think it's warranted.

ChuckD
07-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Ya he is. And isnt it a 4some thats listed as the unique cities with Boston added to that list or am I thinking of something else?

Boston has some unique architecture, for sure, but those 3 cities I listed have areas that are as close to being in Europe as you can get without taking a plane.

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2010, 08:52 PM
he lives the oversupply of big butt chicks...

mingus
07-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Points taken but there is a difference between a Spur who sucks and a Spur that is totally spat upon and hated by spurs fans. Mason's been getting thrashed on here lately and I don't think it's warranted.

i personally think Mason is a good guy, but at the same time his asking for a trade showed he was to an extent in it for himself, which is bull. imo, the thrashing is warranted.

chazley
07-05-2010, 11:02 PM

I could use your help in my thread...

Kamala
07-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Whatever happens I hope Roger has a year with no injuries and can get that stroke going again.

ElNono
07-05-2010, 11:38 PM

I don't hate him at all. I think he's not very good, he lost his place to Hill, and at this point he's not necessary. I think we can find a more versatile player out there. That said, I don't think bragging about being the 'steal of the offseason' two seasons ago somehow reflects well on him at this juncture. It's actually pretty hilarious. But best wishes for him wherever he goes.

newacc
07-06-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't think Mason is even NBA caliber talent at this point. He's too poor (inconsistent, low %) of a shooter and not good at anything else. Like others said, he doesn't seem like a bad person, but the truth is his performance for the last year+ was horrible.

I can see the merit of the Pop-PG experiment excuse but if true, that just goes to show how cemented his one-dimensional status is.

Cheddz
07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
i personally think Mason is a good guy, but at the same time his asking for a trade showed he was to an extent in it for himself, which is bull. imo, the thrashing is warranted.

In a job where your career lasts 10 years or less, you have to be about yourself sometimes. Performance and playing time are the basis of your next payday...if you're rotting on a bench, you're effed.

ohmwrecker
07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I can see the merit of the Pop-PG experiment excuse but if true, that just goes to show how cemented his one-dimensional status is.

There aren't very many NBA SGs that can play PG.

dbestpro
07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
This is the type of insight and analysis that leaves no one questioning dbestpro's views and opinions of Hairston and others. :tu

Nice try, but blackjack is not 20 its 21. Huh, go figure. All this time you thought you were winning.

bus driver
07-06-2010, 01:55 PM
this thread is in the twilight zone......alot of people giving him props.(did i not watch the same season he had as everyone else)
he gets paid to shoot a ball through a basket......playing out of position, BS! if he cant make a shot on any part of the court then fuck him. the spurs need someone else. he ass needs to be on any bus that is leaving town.
if he wants to spend his summer's here than cool, but other than that the spurs better not sign his sorry ass....not even for water boy.

howardcopy
07-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Roger Mason sucks. It'll be a good day when he's gone.

Blackjack
07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Nice try, but blackjack is not 20 its 21. Huh, go figure. All this time you thought you were winning.

:huh

:lol

Baseline
07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Mason won't be the last player Pop ruins.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Mason won't be the last player Pop ruins.

Bullshit.

Check Mason's numbers pre-Spurs, he's a scrub. If anything Pop managed to squeeze every bit of production Mason had in him for a few months, which he won't be able to repeat anymore.

DesignatedT
07-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Mason is a joke. Who cares about this bum.

ohmwrecker
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
"I don't think I'll ever leave San Antonio"

Does he need a ride? A suitcase? What's the issue?

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Roger Mason Close To New Contract

Jul 06, 2010 4:12 PM EST
Roger Mason Jr. could be closing in on a new deal by the end of the week, sources have told NBA.com.

Mason has spent the last two seasons with the Spurs.

"We're going through it day by day," Mason's agent Mark Bartelstein said Tuesday. "We have to go through the process. There's a domino factor to all of this."

Bartelstein added that there are a number of teams interested in Mason.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67901/20100706/roger_mason_close_to_new_contract/#ixzz0sw38HX8U

Stump
07-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Just as long as it's not with the Spurs, congrats to him.

mingus
07-06-2010, 03:47 PM
In a job where your career lasts 10 years or less, you have to be about yourself sometimes. Performance and playing time are the basis of your next payday...if you're rotting on a bench, you're effed.

you do ur own campaigning during the season when u get the chances (which he didn't capitalize on) in order to extend ur career. or in tryouts for other teams. he couldn't then and can't now apparently accept it's his own fault. u don't throw it on the team and disrupt chemistry.

Josepatches_
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM

wut
07-07-2010, 08:01 AM
"I don't think I'll ever leave San Antonio"

Does he need a ride? A suitcase? What's the issue?

No he's good...they just cut off his original quote:

"I don't think I'll ever leave San Antonio....until I finish packing my bags".