PDA

View Full Version : Under the cap causing delay in signings?

rudwick
07-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Aren't the Spurs under the cap now? I don't know what the exact cap is now,
but wouldn't the Spurs be about $4-$5mil under.

If so, couldn't they be trying to sign another free agent using that cap space first before re-signing their own free agents and going back over the cap?

Then they could use their exceptions after going back over the cap?

Harry Callahan
07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
They are not under the current cap.

ChuckD
07-04-2010, 03:47 PM
The "delay in signing" is because no one can sign yet.

lurker23
07-04-2010, 03:54 PM
You cannot use both cap space and exceptions in the same off-season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2010, 04:03 PM
If the MLE is bigger than the amount of which you are under the cap, you're given the MLE to work with as if you were over.

Seventyniner
07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
If the MLE is bigger than the amount of which you are under the cap, you're given the MLE to work with as if you were over.

This is correct. The reason for it is that a team $2M under the cap (like the Spurs) shouldn't have less money to work with than a team over the cap (who gets the MLE).

ohmwrecker
07-04-2010, 07:27 PM
The "delay in signing" is because no one can sign yet.

Everybody keeps forgetting that. Splitter is just waiting to drop ink, pen in hand.

My Fault
07-04-2010, 08:00 PM
No one can offically sign before July 8. All the deals you hear now are just verbal agreements. Which you won't hear much else till the Queen makes his move.

Agloco
07-05-2010, 12:29 AM

If so, couldn't they be trying to sign another free agent using that cap space first before re-signing their own free agents and going back over the cap?

They aren't under the cap. They're under the luxury tax threshold. Its about 12 million higher than the cap.

Manufan909
07-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Wow, no signings until the 8th??? Now I have a date for when to check back at least.

SpurrrUrrr
07-05-2010, 04:56 PM

If so, couldn't they be trying to sign another free agent using that cap space first before re-signing their own free agents and going back jordans (http://www.dgksneakers.com/) over the cap?

I don't think that they are under the cap.