PDA

View Full Version : World’s richest club eyeing Donovan

jag
07-04-2010, 07:01 PM
This from last week but i found it interesting.

Sources: World’s richest club eyeing Donovan (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/sources-worlds-richest-club-eyeing-donovan--fbintl_ro-donovan062710.html)

LOEMFONTEIN, South Africa – Landon Donovan’s pain over the United States’ World Cup exit could be eased by a lucrative transfer to the world’s richest soccer club.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that English Premier League team Manchester City has identified Donovan as one of its top targets in the gigantic summer spending spree by owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.

Man City sent a scout to watch Donovan “in all four games” that the American played during the World Cup, according to a source who is familiar with the team’s player acquisition dealings. Another source close to the club confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that there is “significant interest” in Donovan.

Donovan will earn $2,127,777.78 with his current employer, the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, in 2010. However, the English club would be able to offer a far greater salary, one in the region of $4 million a year. Another factor that could entice City would be the prospect of additional reach and exposure in the North American market, with Donovan’s profile and popularity at an all-time high.

While Donovan’s form during the World Cup was not always at its best, he proved himself as a clutch performer under pressure. His game-winning goal against Algeria, which saved the USA from elimination in the group stage, came with just two minutes of injury-time remaining.

Even in the disappointing round-of-16 defeat to Ghana on Saturday night, Donovan held his nerve with a coolly taken penalty kick to level the score at 1-1 in the 62nd minute.

Man City has historically operated in the shadow of its cross-town rival Manchester United, one of the most successful teams in English and European club soccer history. But since being purchased by Sheikh Mansour and his consortium of uber-rich oil magnates in 2008, the team’s fortunes have been transformed.

More than $250 million has been invested in the squad, including high-profile signings such as Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor (formerly of EPL side Arsenal), Argentina forward Carlos Tevez (Man United) and Brazil forward Robinho (Real Madrid). Man City’s next goal is a top-four finish in the Premier League and a place in the UEFA Champions League.

Donovan would represent solid value for the ambitious club. He would likely cost around $12 million in transfer fees, which would be paid by Man City and split between the Galaxy and Major League Soccer.

Everton of the EPL has been keen on acquiring Donovan full-time after he spent a highly successful loan spell there at the start of this year. If there is a bidding war, however, there will only be one winner – City.

According to numerous reports in the British press, City is poised to sign Spanish midfielder David Silva, who can operate as either an attacking central midfielder or a winger. Donovan would most likely be used on the right wing, the position he occupies for the U.S.

sefant77
07-04-2010, 07:07 PM
City is not the richest club in the world.

Sense
07-04-2010, 07:09 PM
meh, he should've been in Europe a long time ago.

Goran Dragic
07-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I always thought Real Madrid was the richest club in the world.

ElNono
07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I think the difference is that Real Madrid gets a good chunk of change from the government where ManU doesn't.

jag
07-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Manchester City is definitely the richest club in the world. As of 2008 they are owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, whose estimated worth (http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Trillion-dollar-wealth-of-new-Manchester-City-owner-Sheikh-Mansour-bin-Zayed-Al-Nahyan-article38353.html) is $1trillion.

sefant77
07-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Real is a joke. Few years ago they were deep in debt and sold they training area to the city for ridiculous 480 million euro, even the EU investigated that shit (illegal support by the state).

Chelski, City etc all are offically hundred of millions in debt to their owners.

ManU
Barca
Real (thanks to that crap)
Bayern

Thats the real "richest".

jag
07-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Real is a joke. Few years ago they were deep in debt and sold they training area to the city for ridiculous 480 million euro, even the EU investigated that shit (illegal support by the state).

Chelski, City etc all are offically hundred of millions in debt to their owners.

ManU
Barca
Real (thanks to that crap)
Bayern

Thats the real "richest".

I agree that those are the most profitable clubs in the world, but the owners of Man City have far more money at their disposal. They've reportedly already spent £400m.

jag
07-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Also, for those who care...

Everton is apparently still interested in signing him permanently. Everton fans have started Facebook groups and the Liverpool media is surprisingly very fond of the guy.

English Fans Find an Unlikely Love for a Yank (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/sports/soccer/14donovan.html)

For an autograph signing, Donovan’s presence coaxed a line that zigzagged through the merchandise store, snaked out the door and hogged about 300 yards of sidewalk. He has triggered Facebook pages like “Keep Landon Donovan at Everton (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-Landon-Donovan-at-Everton/304280288165)!!” (10,240 fans by Saturday) and “Evertonians Will Never Forget Landon Donovan (http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/EVERTONIANS-WILL-NEVER-FORGET-LANDON-DONOVAN-USA-USA-USA/393056258377)!!!! (1,867 fans). He has thrived while donning the beloved No. 9 shirt worn by a lineage of Everton luminaries beginning with the 1920s and Dixie Dean, whose muscular statue outside the stadium wears an Everton scarf. Keep reading... (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/sports/soccer/14donovan.html)

Everton fans love them some Landon Donovan (http://www.dailysoccerfix.com/2010/3/10/1367262/everton-fans-love-them-some-landon)

LIVERPOOL, England – By the time Landon Donovan was done at Goodison Park on Sunday, I was fairly sure Everton officials were about to rename the stadium after the guy.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/303422/feb-march_camera_phone_023_large.jpg

Our little soccer party moved up north from London into the land of the Beatles and Liverpool FC. The northern port city is also home to Everton, which gets short shrift in terms of fan attention in the city. (I told one local that I had gone to Goodison Park the day before. “Ah. To atone for your sins, eh?”)

But they do love them some Landon Donovan around the old and somewhat dank Goodison grounds.

Even for a cynical journalist – “That glass is half empty, I tell ya!” – seeing the affection for Landon Donovan was moving. I know it’s a little late, and you may have heard the tale of Sunday’s appearance at Goodison, so I’ll be brief.

As they announced the subs prior to kickoff, the round of applause for Donovan was louder than it was for some of the starters. As he came on late, the cheers were loud and surely earnest. As he blazed a ball into the hapless Hull City goal, the place came apart.

Then came the chants. “USA! … USA … “

It happened again as he set up Everton’s final goal in the 5-1 win. And then at the final whistle, as he took a short little walk to clap for the fans, the “USA! … USA! … “ chant rang anew.

Remember, these aren’t just Everton fans. Presumably, they are England fans, too. And this same “USA!” will meet England on June 12. It’s been in all the papers, so they all know.

Such is the affection for a guy who earned the admiration and respect quite quickly, not only by fans but by teammates, too. None of them had a bad word to say, and all talked of hopeful efforts to keep the American attacker around Goodison a little while longer.

I knew he played well during his loan period, but i was surprised to see he had made this much of an impact over there. I personally hope he stays at Everton. There's no guarantee he'll get quality playing time at his best position (Wing/Forward) at Man City.

sefant77
07-04-2010, 07:47 PM
You dont get it, their owner is fucking rich, not the club.

They give the money, City blows it with players and salary and in their books its fat red numbers.

If the owner leaves or cut the money tomorrow City is fucked. Thats why City isnt the richest club and thats why Chelsea never was the richest even if they blow right now money like crap.

Libri
07-04-2010, 09:34 PM
If Donovan is going to get playing time in the EPL, then he should definitely make the move.

noob cake
07-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Manchester City is definitely the richest club in the world. As of 2008 they are owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, whose estimated worth (http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Trillion-dollar-wealth-of-new-Manchester-City-owner-Sheikh-Mansour-bin-Zayed-Al-Nahyan-article38353.html) is $1trillion.

lol, the dude's family owes Saudia Arabia. Doubt you can find a richer owner for a club.

sefant77
07-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Lets see how long it need until the owner get sick of his toy

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2010, 10:06 PM
manutd has 1b in debt cause of the glazers

then again those clowns dont care cause the profit they make each season is enough to cover the interests and still leave themselves with a profit to take home

mancity might have all the money in the world it can buy players, but none of them clowns wanna go there unless they want money only since they havnt won shit...

MannyIsGod
07-04-2010, 10:38 PM
He'd get playing time with Everton but its not his decision when he's under contract.

ffadicted
07-04-2010, 11:17 PM

lmao, they still suck, lmao Robinho, lmao Tevez

Bukefal
07-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Nice. I hope he can go to a great club and have a starting place in the team. I like Donovan.

Muser
07-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Donovan would start for about 5 games until they buy someone else and then he'd be on the bench all game knowing Man City.

Spurologist
07-05-2010, 07:49 AM
I doubt Everton has the money to bring him over

ffadicted
07-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I hope he can go to a great club and have a starting place in the team.

lol this is Donovan we're talking about here, he'll have to settle for one or the other

sefant77
07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Donovan was two times in Leverkusen and both times went quick back to the USA instead of trying to fight for a place in the team...

Bukefal
07-05-2010, 02:06 PM
lol this is Donovan we're talking about here, he'll have to settle for one or the other

I know, but I just hope he'll find some nice club where he will have a starting place.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I would love for him to go overseas but at this point in his career I don't think its that big of a deal anymore. Honestly he's going to be a huge draw for the Galaxy now so having him stay here might do a good deal for MLS.

I'm curious to see what the ratings for last night's Founders/Galaxy game was because I'd bet way more people tuned in to see Landon in his first game back.

Johnny RIngo
07-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Donovan was two times in Leverkusen and both times went quick back to the USA instead of trying to fight for a place in the team...

Probably a good decision(on his part) since he probably wouldn't have seen any playing time with Ballack, Basturk, and Ze Roberto starting in midfield for Leverkusen back then.