PDA

View Full Version : Mexico's drug war heats up near Arizona border

ducks
07-05-2010, 09:25 AM
A shootout that left 21 people dead and six wounded on the road last week is the most gruesome sign that a relatively tranquil pocket of northern Mexico is quickly turning into a hotbed of drug-fueled violence on Arizona's doorstep. The violence in recent months is grist for supporters of the state's tough new law against illegal immigration, who are eager to portray the border as a lawless battlefield of smugglers both of drugs and humans.

Nogales, the main city in the region, which shares a border with the Arizona city of the same name, has had 131 murders so far this year, nearly surpassing 135 for all of 2009, according to a tally by the newspaper Diario de Sonora. That includes two heads found Thursday stuffed side by side between the bars of a cemetery fence.

MORE
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100705/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_drug_war_nogales

George Gervin's Afro
07-05-2010, 09:26 AM
sucks to be mexco.

CosmicCowboy
07-05-2010, 09:33 AM
The worst part is they are rigging the political elections now. If you aren't "their" candidate you get assassinated. They really will be running the country soon if they aren't stopped now. To a certain extent this cartel vs.cartel violence is actually good because it just wipes out more bad guys.

boutons_deux
07-05-2010, 09:54 AM
AZ gov says most illegal immigrants are drug mules.

aka, yet another blatant, easily disprovable Repug lie rousing the dumfuck rabble and bubbas

MX appears to be on the slippery slope to being a failed state, with its legendary corruption at all levels now being controlled by drugs militia, who are simply businessmen corrupting govt to get protection and non-enforcement, just like the Yanqui businessmen do. :)

Another few dozen MX drug murders? yawning at ducks.

George Gervin's Afro
07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
The worst part is they are rigging the political elections now. If you aren't "their" candidate you get assassinated. They really will be running the country soon if they aren't stopped now. To a certain extent this cartel vs.cartel violence is actually good because it just wipes out more bad guys.

I'm all for bad guys killing other bad guys

boutons_deux
07-05-2010, 10:21 AM
There's 100s of 1000s of desperate Mexicans, many impoverished by taxpayer-subsidized food from USA mega-agricorps, as an endless supply of drug warriors.

Stringer_Bell
07-05-2010, 10:27 AM
A shootout that left 21 people dead and six wounded on the road last week is the most gruesome sign that a relatively tranquil pocket of northern Mexico is quickly turning into a hotbed of drug-fueled violence on Arizona's doorstep.

Do we have any estimates about how many "innocent" people are killed compared to "gang-related" people? Usually, I think, the people notice one marked car and know that if a rival marked car pops up they need to GTFO as fast as humanly possible.

What I don't like is when US authorities say we have concerns about the safety of some areas on OUR OWN border because of Mexico's violence. That's unacceptable, IMHO.

4>0rings
07-05-2010, 10:50 AM
How much more can it heat up? They have been beheading the Chief of Polce in towns fo awhile.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
ducks, is crime in Arizona up or down?

Wild Cobra
07-05-2010, 01:46 PM
AZ gov says most illegal immigrants are drug mules.

aka, yet another blatant, easily disprovable Repug lie rousing the dumfuck rabble and bubbas

MX appears to be on the slippery slope to being a failed state, with its legendary corruption at all levels now being controlled by drugs militia, who are simply businessmen corrupting govt to get protection and non-enforcement, just like the Yanqui businessmen do. :)

Another few dozen MX drug murders? yawning at ducks.
Most illegal aliens probably did one trip in as a mule. It is one way of paying for a trip to get here.

rjv
07-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Most illegal aliens probably did one trip in as a mule. It is one way of paying for a trip to get here.

link? statistics? some factual reference?

ChumpDumper
07-05-2010, 05:25 PM
link? statistics? some factual reference?"The statistics I believe...."

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Do you have one iota of evidence to support this bullshit claim? or are you just talking out of your ass as usual?

ElNono
07-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Do you have one iota of evidence to support this bullshit claim? or are you just talking out of your ass as usual?

What do you think? :lol

MannyIsGod
07-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Can't wait to see the response WC has to this.

George Gervin's Afro
07-05-2010, 07:58 PM

usual

ChuckD
07-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I blame NAFTA. Mexico is a failed state, and surely needs to be isolated as much as Iran or NK. That will never happen as long as corporate America is addicted to cheap goods from the south. Those trucks, with cheap goods inside and drugs in the secret compartments, will keep on rollin down the highway north into the USA.

boutons_deux
07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
"addicted to cheap goods from the south"

a lot of US/canadian factories setup in MX soon after NAFTA started were closed and moved to China.

MannyIsGod
07-06-2010, 12:25 AM
I blame NAFTA. Mexico is a failed state, and surely needs to be isolated as much as Iran or NK. That will never happen as long as corporate America is addicted to cheap goods from the south. Those trucks, with cheap goods inside and drugs in the secret compartments, will keep on rollin down the highway north into the USA.

NAFTA? Really?

Blame the DEA and the American (although now the cartels are starting to go world wide) appetite for drugs. There's no doubt NAFTA has killed Mexico but that has more to do with the complete destruction of the Mexican farmer.

As far as isolating I'm not sure what you mean but trying to compare Mexico with North Korea or Iran is fucking laughable. I'm not sure how you'd plan to isolate Mexico but its god damn clear we can't control the border. This has nothing to do with corporate America (outside of pharma keeping narcotics illegal) and everything to do with the cartels being the best funded organizations in Mexico including the Mexican government.

You want this shit to stop? Seriously discuss legalizing Marijuana and start pulling out the funding from those cartels.

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2010, 02:19 AM
why dont u guys build up a huge ass wall like ur brothers israel, and just fire RPGs into mexico?

Nbadan
07-06-2010, 02:32 AM
why dont u guys build up a huge ass wall like ur brothers israel, and just fire RPGs into mexico?

They're working on the wall...the RPGs come later..

Wild Cobra
07-06-2010, 03:15 AM
link? statistics? some factual reference?
Over the years you hear these things. I said "probably." I'm not going to attempt a link.

Wild Cobra
07-06-2010, 03:16 AM
OMG....

Four of you are total fools over this. My statement was one of obvious opinion, and you want me to back it up with lings.

You can all go fuck yourselves for being so damn stupid.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2010, 03:23 AM
OMG....

Four of you are total fools over this. My statement was one of obvious opinion, and you want me to back it up with lings.

You can all go fuck yourselves for being so damn stupid.:lol U mad?

If you don't like being called out for making shit up, don't make shit up.

Wild Cobra
07-06-2010, 06:27 AM
:lol U mad?

If you don't like being called out for making shit up, don't make shit up.
Since when is an opinion something made up?

God you're dumb.

MannyIsGod
07-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Ok, if you don't want to look like a fool you shouldn't say shit that is obviously not based on fact. Unless you see no problem with spouting off your uniformed opinion.

ElNono
07-06-2010, 07:47 AM
lmao 'over the years you hear these things'...

looks like you're dumb enough to believe them and go out there repeat them... :lol

CosmicCowboy
07-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Neither side can back their assertion up with facts because drug/human smugglers don't keep statistics on shit like that and if they did they sure as hell wouldn't post it on the internet where you losers cut cut and paste it.

I know that the only time I have personally seen drug mules in south Texas they looked much more coordinated/professional than your average wetback (actually looked paramilitary) but I have also seen video of what appears to be "average" wetbacks floating bales of pot across the Rio Grande and I could easily see their coyote telling them "float this bale across the river, carry it and follow Chewy there to the truck and THEN we will ship you on to El Norte..."

ElNono
07-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Neither side can back their assertion up with facts because drug/human smugglers don't keep statistics on shit like that and if they did they sure as hell wouldn't post it on the internet where you losers cut cut and paste it.

I know that the only time I have personally seen drug mules in south Texas they looked much more coordinated/professional than your average wetback (actually looked paramilitary) but I have also seen video of what appears to be "average" wetbacks floating bales of pot across the Rio Grande and I could easily see their coyote telling them "float this bale across the river, carry it and follow Chewy there to the truck and THEN we will ship you on to El Norte..."

He said 'most illegal aliens', not drug mules/smuggled humans.

CosmicCowboy
07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
He said 'most illegal aliens', not drug mules/smuggled humans.

Well, by definition "illegal aliens" crossed the border illegally and most hire coyotes (who typically are in the drug trade to) to facilitate their crossing.

I can't statistically confirm his claim that "most" illegal aliens are involved in smuggling just as you can't statistically refute it.

Here is a border patrol video from Arizona that certainly SEEMS to confirm that "innocent" illegal aliens are involved in drug trafficking. INS/ICE caught 10 smugglers and clearly believed that only 2 of them were the actual "smugglers" as the rest of them were deported.

Y5Oxa3ZDOoY

ElNono
07-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Well, by definition "illegal aliens" crossed the border illegally and most hire coyotes (who typically are in the drug trade to) to facilitate their crossing.

This is simply not true. A small excerpt from here (http://www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/002734.html):

Mention the words “illegal immigrant” and most Americans conjure up images of desperate migrants sneaking across the Mexican border. There is another side to America’s immigration problem, however, that most know very little about — those who come with valid, temporary visas and do not return home. According to a 2006 Pew Hispanic Center study, nearly half of the 12 million-plus illegal aliens in America arrived legally with temporary, non-immigrant visas.

I can't statistically confirm his claim that "most" illegal aliens are involved in smuggling just as you can't statistically refute it.

I can statistically refute it. Read above.

Here is a border patrol video from Arizona that certainly SEEMS to confirm that "innocent" illegal aliens are involved in drug trafficking. INS/ICE caught 10 smugglers and clearly believed that only 2 of them were the actual "smugglers" as the rest of them were deported.

So, you have one case. Now you need another 10 million to make the 'most illegal immigrants' claim be substantiated at all.

ElNono
07-06-2010, 10:00 AM
If you're looking for actual numbers, here's the complete CIS report: link (http://www.cis.org/articles/2008/back208.pdf)

CosmicCowboy
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I didn't make the claim. I just commented on it.

ElNono
07-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I didn't make the claim. I just commented on it.

You commented that the claim could not be disproved. It can be.
The claim is entirely ridiculous and an absurd generalization. I know you didn't make the claim, so that comment doesn't apply to you.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Why is it that people don't understand how stupid and unfair unsubstantiated generalizations are until they feel identified by one??

Stringer_Bell
07-06-2010, 11:46 AM

I, too, have wondered why we don't utilize bunker busters to blow the ever living shit out of those drug cartels. Who cares if the amateur sports teams no longer have funding cuz we killed all their fundraisers?

MannyIsGod
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Because our border is fucking huge? Do you realize how much money and manpower it would cost to do that?

Why don't we just legalize pot and move towards complete decriminalization in order to really solve the problem?

Phenomanul
07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Because our border is fucking huge? Do you realize how much money and manpower it would cost to do that?

Why don't we just legalize pot and move towards complete decriminalization in order to really solve the problem?

Not necessarily countering your legalization argument (as in yay or nay) but what about heroin, cocaine and some of the other hard drugs...?

Pot is only a fraction of the war...

Phenomanul
07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Oh BTW it's stupid to suggest that "most" illegal immigrants are associated with the drug trade... I've met hundreds of them over the years, and the majority (unquestionably) were humble peasants, craftsmen, farmers, fathers/mothers trying to make a better living for themselves by working here... Most of those would be shocked and utterly disgusted at the notion that they were somehow involved with drug smuggling...

The governor's generalizations eek of cultural racism...

DarrinS
07-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I hope they aren't racially profiling these guys?

td_Nn_FIics

MannyIsGod
07-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Not necessarily countering your legalization argument (as in yay or nay) but what about heroin, cocaine and some of the other hard drugs...?

Decriminalization of the hard drugs to start but I'm not sure how you go about making them completely legal. I'm not sure how places like the Netherlands handle that but I do know that if we ever want to pull the money away from the cartels its going to involve legalization of the drugs that fund them.

baseline bum
07-06-2010, 03:08 PM

I would legalize those too, and make the drug age 21 like the drinking age.