PDA

View Full Version : A little something about the Gasol trade...

MiamiHeat
07-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Back in 1996, the Miami Heat signed Juwan Howard to a 7 year, $100 million contract. Howard had only played 2 seasons in the NBA, but was a rising star. He averaged 17 pts as a rookie, and 22 ppg in his second season.

However, David Stern of the NBAWWE, voided the contract and rejected it.

Basically, Stern argued that Pat Riley was circumventing the salary cap and, thus, violating it. Stern McMahon argued this because Pat Riley and Alonzo Mourning had already verbally agreed to a deal, and were waiting until AFTER signing Juwan Howard, to re-sign Zo.

Why? Because a team re-signing their own player can go over the salary cap.

So David got angry and said the HEAT were violating the salary cap by trying to cheat it, and voided the signing.

FAST FORWARD TO GASOL TRADE :

Feb. 2008 : Lakers acquire Pau Gasol from the Grizzlies for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Assistant Coach Aaron McKie, draft rights to Marc Gasol, and 2 first round picks from the Lakers.

Why is this important?

Aaron McKie was an Assistant Coach for the 76ers the day that the Pau Gasol trade went down. He was an ex-Laker player, as well. Anyway, so the Lakers called him and asked him to please allow them to sign him to a PLAYER CONTRACT and throw him in the trade for salary cap reasons, so the trade could work. Grizzlies released him a little bit later, and he went back to being an Assistant Coach.

Stern McMahon accepted the trade.

Why didn't he void the trade because of OBVIOUS cheating of the salary cap? This offense was MUCH worse than the Juwan Howard one.

Apparently, signing Assistant Coaches to player contracts to cheat the trading system and salary cap is OK as long as Stern likes the results.

Fuck David Stern.

Stinky Paki
07-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I just went back to back :lobt::lobt:

What you got?

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
07-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Cool story bro,.

JamStone
07-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Are you really upset the Miami Heat didn't sign Juwan Howard to a $100 million contract?

MiamiHeat
07-05-2010, 11:27 AM
or is this about the ridiculous rule of David Stern and the eventual Gasol trade that has gifted 3 straight Finals appearances for the Lakers?

Giuseppe
07-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Daddy-O, you lose Wade and this will all seem like Sunday School by the time Luva & I get done with ya.

This I vow.

JamStone
07-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Your example is a putridly weak one to support your point.

Stern did the Lakers a favor by signing off on the Gasol trade.

Stern did the Heat a favor by not allowing them to sign Juwan Howard.

Your point's not proven.

Red Hawk #21
07-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Seriously, If I was a player in the league I would do three things:
1) Work extremely hard every single day to improve my game.
2) Try to be as friendly with Emperor Stern as possible. Call him, keep in touch with him, clean his house, do his laundry. Yes, I said I will do his laundry.
3) Be extremely nice to the Refs. Talk to them, buy them gifts, take them out to dinner, basically get on their good side.

I bet you at the end of the day Stern and his refs would reward me with a ring. This is what I feel any owner or GM that wants to win big should do. Basically get as close to Stern and the Refs as possible, become best friends with them and they won't let you down.

Medvedenko
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
That's a pretty weak arguement.

Signing JHoward for 100 million is retarded and if it happened the Heat probably wouldn't have the means to build their championship team in 06. The reverberations of that monstrosity would still have been felt.

Muser
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
It's been 2 and a half seasons and people are still crying.

Giuseppe
07-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Signing JHoward for 100 million is retarded and if it happened the Heat probably wouldn't have the means to build their championship team in 06.

Don't sell Dirk short on that '06 build as well. He did his part.

tee, hee.

pookenstein
07-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Signing JHoward for 100 million is retarded and if it happened the Heat probably wouldn't have the means to build their championship team in 06. The reverberations of that monstrosity would still have been felt.

It's not because it's not about the person/player Howard and alos not about the 100 million, but about Stern's different reaction to the attempt to beat the system.

It's also not about the Heat. Replace them with the Spurs, Hornets or basically every other small market team and Stern would have stopped the trade.

Biggems
07-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I wanted Marc Gasol....the Spurs passed on him and took Marcus Williams instead. If the Spurs had taken Gasol, the Pau trade never happens....or at least it becomes far more difficult to maneuver the deal.

Plus, maybe if the Spurs had drafted Marc, they could have traded he, Ian, a couple of expiring contracts, and a draft pick or two for Pau.

I remember when Kupchak was the laughing stock of the league as a GM and basically had half his ass out the door.....and now he is one of the most successful and respected GMs in the NBA.

You have to give props to the guy.....Pritchard got tons of love around the league for all his wheeling and dealing, but the Blazers have absolutely zero to show for it. Kupchak's deals have lead to several Finals appearances and multiple rings.

As much as I hate the Pau trade, I have to admit it is the best trade of the decade.

monosylab1k
07-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I wanted Marc Gasol....the Spurs passed on him and took Marcus Williams instead. If the Spurs had taken Gasol, the Pau trade never happens....or at least it becomes far more difficult to maneuver the deal.

No it wouldn't have. The Lakers would have just offered some other shitty second round prospect, probably Sun Yue or some shit.

At the time of the trade, Marc Gasol was just Pau's fat little brother with no real future in the NBA. It's to Marc's credit he lost weight and took his career seriously, but at the time of the trade that wasn't the case.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2010, 01:09 PM
No it wouldn't have. The Lakers would have just offered some other shitty second round prospect, probably Sun Yue or some shit.

At the time of the trade, Marc Gasol was just Pau's fat little brother with no real future in the NBA. It's to Marc's credit he lost weight and took his career seriously, but at the time of the trade that wasn't the case.

:lol exactly..he had a little more hype than that, but the Lakers would have still gotten Pau either way..

The revisionist history is always funny, because a lot of people ignore the fact that Crittenton was the prospect that was extremely hyped in this trade, not Marc Gasol..now Crittenton can't even make the Lakers' Summer League roster..

I also love how everybody considered Kupchak to be a horrible GM, Kobe was shitting on him, every Laker fan took a shit on him, but he somehow had the ability to acquire an all-star big man that changed the entire landscape of the NBA, and changed Kobe's career..I guess Kupchak had a plan, he knew what he was doing all along..

I'm over the Gasol trade, but I find it insulting when somebody denies that it was extremely shady/collusion-like..it was, nothing we can do about it, stop denying it..

Namlooks Ignore List
07-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Shut up, shut up. All of you, stop it!

The NBA engineered the Gasol trade? Hahaha...this shows you the level of intelligence we are dealing with.

Chris Wallace knew something. Marc Gasol wasn't a throw in. Wallace told the Lakers he wouldn't do the trade unless Marc Gasol was involved. It's too bad. Gasol would have been a nice piece for the Lakers to keep. Kobe would have made him just as good as Pau.

lalalalalalalalala, I'm not listening!

http://rlv.zcache.com/new_york_guy_ignore_t_tshirt-p235217538718941217qmkd_400.jpg

poop
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
anyone who is not a Lakers fan or just being an apologist knows that 'trade' was as shady as they come.

in fact, the results of the 'miraculous' dealings that took place that year and the manufactured superteams they created overnight are on display for all to see...Stern McMahon got what he wanted, an end to spurs/pistons/small market dominance and a return to big money franchise dominance.

following the travesties that took place that year, we have now had (barring garnett's injury) THREE CONSECUTIVE LAKERS-CELTICS FINALS.

but im sure it was all 'just a coincidence' :rolleyes

BadOdor
07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Spur fan, on a scale from 1 to 10, how much are you still butthurt about this?

ChuckD
07-05-2010, 02:58 PM

I don't think Washington ever recovered from their Juwan mulligan.

Budkin
07-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah we all know it was bullshit but nothing's ever going to be done about it except the Lakers winning championships until someone stops them. So let's just try for that.

BadOdor
07-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah we all know it was bullshit but nothing's ever going to be done about it except the Lakers winning championships until someone stops them. So let's just try for that.

But the NBA is fixed, remember? sadly the spurs are not that good right now that they could overcome sterns conspiracy, so the lakers will keep wining championships until stern decides it someone else's time.

namlook
07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Your example is a putridly weak one to support your point.

Stern did the Lakers a favor by signing off on the Gasol trade.

Stern did the Heat a favor by not allowing them to sign Juwan Howard.

InRareForm
07-05-2010, 05:38 PM
fuck the gasol trade. hate laker fans thinking it was "fair" lol.

Giuseppe
07-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't care.

I just tote up the NBA World Titles...

16-17.

Finish it.

LkrFan
07-05-2010, 07:59 PM
:lol exactly..he had a little more hype than that, but the Lakers would have still gotten Pau either way..

The revisionist history is always funny, because a lot of people ignore the fact that Crittenton was the prospect that was extremely hyped in this trade, not Marc Gasol..now Crittenton can't even make the Lakers' Summer League roster..

I also love how everybody considered Kupchak to be a horrible GM, Kobe was shitting on him, every Laker fan took a shit on him, but he somehow had the ability to acquire an all-star big man that changed the entire landscape of the NBA, and changed Kobe's career..I guess Kupchak had a plan, he knew what he was doing all along..

I'm over the Gasol trade, but I find it insulting when somebody denies that it was extremely shady/collusion-like..it was, nothing we can do about it, stop denying it..
The Logo did not trade Pau to LA. How could there be collusion? Kwame had the biggest expiring KT, then the Lakers offered picks and two promising prospects in Marc Gasol and JC - these are assets that Memphis wanted.

Besides, the year before y'all drafted Tim Duncan, I highly doubt it that David Robinson was really hurt. But I'm glad you guys got him instead of Boston. :toast

Chillen
07-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Everyone knows already that the Lakers clearly got a gift from Memphis and Stern allowed it since he knew it would make the Lakers a better team, now 3 straight NBA finals and back to back NBA titles later everyone looks back and thinks damn that was lopsided.

it f**king was and it made the Lakers a powerhouse and shifted the balance of the Western Conference, know one saw it coming beforehand either, so it must have been under the table all along as Memphis had better offers for Gasol.

I don't mind the Lakers, they are a talented bunch and Kobe is an amazing player, one of the games best. It just took the fun out of watching the Western Conference playoffs. :lol