PDA

View Full Version : Splitter vs Dirk or Gasol?

jermaine
07-05-2010, 03:52 PM
As long as I can remember, Dirk has been a thorn in the Spurs side! So my question is if/when Splitter comes, for you guys that have watched him play defense will he be able to at least slow Dirk down? Same goes for Gasol. I think we will auto jet to 2nd in the West if he has good defense against those 2. These are serious questions!

BadOne
07-05-2010, 03:59 PM
That is a good question homie. I've wondered that myself. I'd like to think that he can give Gasol fits. Timmy in his prime owned Pau. Due to his age and milage though, Gasol has a slight edge in athleticism over Timmy. I think Tiago can most definately help there. Ask for Dirk, I'm not sure. He's a Power Forward who plays as a 7 foot shooting guard. If Tiago is quick enough to chase Dirk when he moves out to the perimiter or beyond, then I think he'll do fine.

JonNOKC
07-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Gasol yes - Dirk doubtful

Dr. Gonzo
07-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Let him play an NBA minute before saying he can stop Gasol or Dirk. Who knows if he can even stop Darko right now.

Solid D
07-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Not without help.

BadMotorscooter
07-05-2010, 05:14 PM
let him play an nba minute before saying he can stop gasol or dirk. Who knows if he can even stop darko right now.

+1

EricB
07-05-2010, 05:17 PM
He;s got enough foot speed that he can stay somewhat in front of Dirk.

Better than Duncan.

Gasol? We shall see if his length matches up..

Cane
07-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Hopefully he can stay in front of Lamar Odom as well since he's been a weakness for the Spurs.

At least Amar'e will be in the East.

usdane
07-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Gasol yes - Dirk doubtful

:lol:lmao Keep it coming. Please I beg.

DrSteffo
07-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Let him play an NBA minute before saying he can stop Gasol or Dirk. Who knows if he can even stop Darko right now.

Well, I agree he has to prove himself in the nba but it's not like Splitter is some unknown scrub who has been hiding somewhere in the mountains of Albania. He has played in the best Euro league and was MVP and finals MVP. Many of his opponents have played in the nba or will play there later on. Darko on the other hand has played like shit.

Of course Splitter cannot completely "stop" the top euro-guys in the nba, Gasol and Dirk. However, they are veterans now and will slow down a little bit every year so with some help d it might be ok. Of course someone has to defend them and Splitter might be the best option even if he is a C and more of a post defender. Ideal thing would of course be if we somehow could find a long, athletic, defensive PF. We had a chance in the draft but decided to fill another need which is ok.

urunobili
07-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Both Gasol and Dirk have made Splitter their bitch on International ball :wakeup

howardcopy
07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Both Gasol and Dirk have made Splitter their bitch on International ball :wakeup

:tu

SpurCharger
07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Agreed

duhoh
07-06-2010, 10:35 AM

PublicOption
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
how about shaq and splitter

DrSteffo
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM

When did that happen? Brazil haven't met Spain or Germany since 2002 I think? I'm just curious since I completely missed that.

Balance
07-06-2010, 03:50 PM
When did that happen? Brazil haven't met Spain or Germany since 2002 I think? I'm just curious since I completely missed that.
Exacty! I didn't remember that either. But that's what the Internet is for, right?

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/9/grid/E/rid/3448/sid/3118/_/2002_World_Championship_for_Men/statistic.html
Splitter played only 5 minutes against Spain in 2002.

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/A/grid/15/rid/6251/sid/4508/_/2008_FIBA_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournament_for_Men/statistic.html
Brazil vs. Germany in 2008
Does anybody remember that game and want to share some information with the rest of us?

urunobili
07-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Friendly matches on pre WC and Olympics for Spain IIRC and I also remember seeing him vs Dirk on that mini tourney to give u a spot on the Olympics and on the Stankovic cup in China too :)

Manufan909
07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I believe Dirk is an "unstoppable player", like Kobe or Lebron. He isn't at their level as a player, but his unique style screws over traditional defenders. I did like how Dice defended him in the POs (keep in mind I mainly have Bonner for comparison:p:), even though it didn't seem particularly effective, what with Dirk going off almost every game. Does anyone know Dirk's FG % when Dice was on him in the first round?

Solid D
07-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I didn't see the game but judging by the link to the Box Score, Splitter went 16 and 6 against Dirk and Chris Kaman and then fouled out. Tiago didn't shoot particularly well, but Dirk shot an even worse FG% (30%).

JonNOKC
07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
:lol:lmao Keep it coming. Please I beg.

Not talking about shutting him down - you don't shut down great players in the NBA - simply make them earn their points - Splitter has the length and discipline (doesn't leave feet much) to be an effective defender against Gasol - as goos as anyone on the Spurs right now

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I've always said that the Spurs' best possible defense against Dirk will be offense..they aren't going to find an ideal player to guard Nowitzki, it just won't happen, he's too good..he's developed into an average/sometimes above average defensive player, but he can obviously still be exposed defensively..if Splitter is good enough to challenge him inside offensively, that will be the best solution the Spurs have had against Nowitzki in a long time, if not the best solution they've ever had against him IMO..

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2010, 05:53 PM
He'll manage but I doubt he'll impress against them.

DrSteffo
07-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Thank you for the info Balance and urunobili! I didn't remember those qualifying games and friendlies and only had time to check the big tournaments. Anyways, Splitter is only 25 and it's not surprising that he struggled against Dirk and Gasol a couple of years ago. It would not be surprising if he keeps struggling a bit defending those guys the next couple of years either but at least father time is on his side.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2010, 01:37 AM
From timvp's rundown, it sounds like Splitter has grown up a lot in the last 2-3 years, and that probably means he's a better defender now than in those games mentioned above.

However, yeah, let's see how he adjusts to the NBA before we start judging these things.

wut
07-07-2010, 07:34 AM
yeh hard to judge without seeing Splitter play against NBA talent...however I will say:

Dirk is obviously harder to guard than Gasol. Gasol, if you cut off his positioning and get into his body and put a hand up you can lower his effectiveness. You do the same to Dirk he will still shoot over you and hit 50% of 'em.

temujin
07-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Dirk?
yes.

Gasol?
No, 2 quick fouls, courtesy of Joey Crawford.