PDA

View Full Version : Suns trying to get Lee from Knicks in S&T

Jeremy
07-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Or at least a trade exception.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/07/05/20100705phoenix-suns-amare-stoudemire-plan.html

Gorilla Game
07-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Haha, they're getting GM advice from ESPN!

Jeremy
07-06-2010, 12:57 AM
If only we could somehow end up with Lee, I would actually be HAPPY about Amare leaving!!

Gorilla Game
07-06-2010, 01:03 AM
If only we could somehow end up with Lee, I would actually be HAPPY about Amare leaving!!

If Lee came over in a sign and trade it would make the transition a bit less painful, they still take a step back, but I can't blame Sarver for not wanting to risk signing Amare to a max deal.

We're most likely losing Lou, Sarver's gotta bring in Lee to keep that white player quota up or the season tickets will start dropping. JK

Kai
07-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't hurt to sign & trade Amare if he's gonna get an ultimately identical deal in NY. He would just have a smaller salary the first year, since he would be able to have a higher % increase in pay per year, saving the Knicks some cap room this summer. They would just have to accommodate the Suns with something in return.

Giuseppe
07-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Christ, I hope this don't happen. I want those fucks bereft of anything on this Amare event.

Muser
07-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Christ, I hope this don't happen. I want those fucks bereft of anything on this Amare event.

Why do you hate the Suns?

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2010, 04:21 AM
lol where are the suns going to get the offense from in the front court

Giuseppe
07-06-2010, 04:23 AM
I don't know. I was fine till I moved here in '86. It just manifested itself immediately and has just worsened something fearsome in the interim.

Reeko_Htown
07-06-2010, 11:24 AM
If I'm New York I'd say Fuck you guys.

Amar'e is already overpaid.

Stump
07-06-2010, 11:32 AM
As long as Stoudemire's deal stands as it is, I can see this move for the Knicks. If you're not going to keep Lee and he is most likely to sign with an eastern conference rival (Heat, Nets, Bulls), why not help send him west?

Giuseppe
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
If I'm New York I'd say Fuck you guys.

Amar'e is already overpaid.

+ aside from the S&T for Lee chappin' my hide considerably it don't make sense switching Lee out for Amare. Just keep Lee if yer gonna do that. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Harry Callahan
07-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Why would NY do this when they don't have to. They could S&T Lee for something else decent since Lebron, Wade, and Bosh don't appear to be going to the NYK. The fact that the NYKs don't have to do a S&T is the reason they stripped their roster down for the last 2 years. The Knicks don't exactly have a lot of tradeable assets lying around and Lee is probably the only thing someone would want off the current roster. A S&T with Minnesota would make a lot more sense.

Dumping Lee to further massage Amare's ego with another $10-15MM would be dumb for the NYK. They already got the committment from AS.

JamStone
07-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Knicks aren't getting Lebron, Wade, or Bosh.

If I'm the Knicks, I try to re-sign David Lee to keep him, hopefully at somewhere around $9-10 million a year. I think Lee and Amare can play together, and at least it helps Amare's penchant not to rebound. With Eddy Curry also coming off the books, the Knicks can go back at it again trying to sign either Carmelo or Tony Parker, or perhaps both if things fall into place (unlikely but a thought).

Giuseppe
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
If I'm the Knicks, I try to re-sign David Lee to keep him, hopefully at somewhere around $9-10 million a year. I think Lee and Amare can play together

Must be an echo in here.

tee, hee.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Man David Lee is overrated. His points and rebounds come from hustle, running, playing out of position at center so he's guarded by guys with less athleticism, and being on a team with no better options. It's very similar to 2006 Shawn Marion but at least Marion had his fluke 20 10 season on a winning team with other decent offensive weapons. Once David Lee gets a taste of the playoffs when the tempo slows down, the big men he outhustles during the regular season are playing with the same intensity level he plays with, and when he's in a 7 game series where the other team can use film to stop plays designed for him, he'll be exposed as the gimmicky player he is.

Amare + David Lee up front wouldn't work unless NY planned on making David Lee the 6th man or something. If a team is ever going to win a championship with Amare, it will be with him at PF and a legit, 7 ft. tall center who weighs 260+ pounds that can do all the things Amare can't while reducing the wear Amare takes on D. A large reason why Amare has always sucked at D is because he was never given a defined role he could succeed in. One day he'd have to defend the low post and box out someone bigger and stronger than he is, the next day he needed to focus more on pick and rolls and weakside help. The day after that he needed to do both.

Offensively New York will be a great fit because of D'antoni, but other than rebounding help, David Lee doesn't do anything to reduce the liability Amare is at certain things. Setting your team up so Amare has to do the dirty work in the low post is a recipe for disaster.

Kamnik
07-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Man David Lee is overrated. His points and rebounds come from hustle, running, playing out of position at center so he's guarded by guys with less athleticism, and being on a team with no better options. It's very similar to 2006 Shawn Marion but at least Marion had his fluke 20 10 season on a winning team with other decent offensive weapons. Once David Lee gets a taste of the playoffs when the tempo slows down, the big men he outhustles during the regular season are playing with the same intensity level he plays with, and when he's in a 7 game series where the other team can use film to stop plays designed for him, he'll be exposed as the gimmicky player he is.

Amare + David Lee up front wouldn't work unless NY planned on making David Lee the 6th man or something. If a team is ever going to win a championship with Amare, it will be with him at PF and a legit, 7 ft. tall center who weighs 260+ pounds that can do all the things Amare can't while reducing the wear Amare takes on D. A large reason why Amare has always sucked at D is because he was never given a defined role he could succeed in. One day he'd have to defend the low post and box out someone bigger and stronger than he is, the next day he needed to focus more on pick and rolls and weakside help. The day after that he needed to do both.

Offensively New York will be a great fit because of D'antoni, but other than rebounding help, David Lee doesn't do anything to reduce the liability Amare is at certain things. Setting your team up so Amare has to do the dirty work in the low post is a recipe for disaster.

BS!

You can simply hustle up such stats as Lee has. By your logic Lou Amudson should easily be a 20/10 guy...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 02:31 PM
BS!

You can simply hustle up such stats as Lee has. By your logic Lou Amudson should easily be a 20/10 guy...

I gave reasons other than hustle, but neat comparison.

Last season, David Lee played 37.3 minutes per game on a team as the leading shot taker on NY with no one else who averaged 6 rebounds per game. Lou Amundson averaged 11.4 PPG and 10.7 RPG per 36 minutes. If at the start of last season you swapped David Lee for Lou Amundson where Lou is playing 37 MPG on a team that he would be the best rebounder on and would be the leading shot taker, I'll bet Amundson averages 15 points and 11 rebounds per game, the only reason he wouldn't put up 20 PPG is because he doesn't have a semi-reliable mid range jumper like David Lee.

JamStone
07-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Must be an echo in here.

tee, hee.

Said it in another thread several days ago.

You can check my recent posts if you'd like.

Giuseppe
07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Said it in another thread several days ago.

You can check my recent posts if you'd like.

I said it over a week ago so the echo is still reverberating.

JamStone
07-06-2010, 02:44 PM
David Lee did drop 20/12 on Dwight Howard and the Magic and 31/17 on that long and athletic Lakers front court this year. So it wasn't just the fact that he was being guarded by less athletic centers. The emergence of that midrange jumper is exactly what helped David Lee become a 20 point scorer. Opportunity and shot attempts, along with his relentless hustle especially on the boards, are what made him a pretty good scoring big man. David Lee might be a little overrated, but I don't think his scoring stats are a fluke.

Kamnik
07-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I gave reasons other than hustle, but neat comparison.

Last season, David Lee played 37.3 minutes per game on a team as the leading shot taker on NY with no one else who averaged 6 rebounds per game. Lou Amundson averaged 11.4 PPG and 10.7 RPG per 36 minutes. If at the start of last season you swapped David Lee for Lou Amundson where Lou is playing 37 MPG on a team that he would be the best rebounder on and would be the leading shot taker, I'll bet Amundson averages 15 points and 11 rebounds per game, the only reason he wouldn't put up 20 PPG is because he doesn't have a semi-reliable mid range jumper like David Lee.

Lee shot 55% from the field and made 81% of his free throws.

Amundson is one of the least skilled players in the NBA and really a stricly garbage/hustle guy.

You can't compare such 2 players...

JamStone
07-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I said it over a week ago so the echo is still reverberating.

Of course I ignore most of your posts and I didn't see you make such a comment before. In fact, I didn't read your post in this thread until you quoted mine.

So I guess it wasn't an echo, just two different birds unknowingly chirping the same thing.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Lee shot 55% from the field and made 81% of his free throws.

Amundson is one of the least skilled players in the NBA and really a stricly garbage/hustle guy.

You can't compare such 2 players...

Amundson shot 55% from the field as well......other than having a better jumper there's no skill David lee has that Lou Amundson doesn't have. You've never watched David Lee play if you think that outside of draining open jumpers he has any sort of skill.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 02:48 PM
David Lee did drop 20/12 on Dwight Howard and the Magic and 31/17 on that long and athletic Lakers front court this year. So it wasn't just the fact that he was being guarded by less athletic centers. The emergence of that midrange jumper is exactly what helped David Lee become a 20 point scorer. Opportunity and shot attempts, along with his relentless hustle especially on the boards, are what made him a pretty good scoring big man. David Lee might be a little overrated, but I don't think his scoring stats are a fluke.

So outside of the midrange jumper he's no better than Lou Amundson. What I've said all along.

JamStone
07-06-2010, 02:50 PM
So outside of the midrange jumper he's no better than Lou Amundson. What I've said all along.

Kind of like aside from a consistent jumper, nothing separates Tony Allen from Dwyane Wade.

Smh.

austN Spur
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Wanted a pic of junior from white men cant jump to go with this quote

"if Lou Amundson scores 15 and 11 i'll kill myself and I don't wanna do that"

thats like saying if yao plays a complete season he will win a title

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Kind of like aside from a consistent jumper, nothing separates Tony Allen from Dwyane Wade.

Smh.

So you think that if Tony Allen had a consistent jumper he'd be Dwayne Wade? I find that hard to believe.

Those big games you mentioned prove my point. Do you see any of the Lakers' bigs making an effort to jump out and contest David Lee's jumpers during the regular season? Do you see any of them caring enough during the regular season to keep David Lee off the glass on an every possession basis? I sure as hell don't. Lou Amundson had a double double against LA this year with virtually no plays run through him so all of his production came off hustle and wanting it more.

Booharv
07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Lee and Amare would be an unbelievably bad defensive duo in the paint.

Booharv
07-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Tony Allen is annually among the worst players in the league in turnover ratio. He had the worst turnover ratio of all shooting guards in the league two years ago, and was awful last year as well. He has a very weak handle because of his high dribble and compounds his lack of dribbling ability by making dumb decisions. There's more than a lack of shooting ability that hampers his offensive game.

austN Spur
07-06-2010, 03:13 PM
I thought if Amare was headed anywhere it would be miami since its his home state.

Cant believe he is leaving after one of phx's most productive seasons. he didnt even stick around for nash's final season after everything nash has done for him.

Giuseppe
07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I thought if Amare was headed anywhere it would be miami since its his home state.

Cant believe he is leaving after one of phx's most productive seasons. he didnt even stick around for nash's final season after everything nash has done for him.

He was low-balled by Sarver. Amare's max is not 5/100, it's 6/130. Phoenix only guaranteed him 56/3 and 2 more at 40/not guaranteed. He'd a been nuts to take the Sun's offer.

austN Spur
07-06-2010, 03:29 PM
he should of called sarver a chicken and showed up on the 10 o clock news doing the chicken dance

JamStone
07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
So you think that if Tony Allen had a consistent jumper he'd be Dwayne Wade? I find that hard to believe.

Those big games you mentioned prove my point. Do you see any of the Lakers' bigs making an effort to jump out and contest David Lee's jumpers during the regular season? Do you see any of them caring enough during the regular season to keep David Lee off the glass on an every possession basis? I sure as hell don't. Lou Amundson had a double double against LA this year with virtually no plays run through him so all of his production came off hustle and wanting it more.

No, I don't. I was making fun of you thinking that a midrange jumper is the only thing that separates David Lee from Louis Amundson.

Giuseppe
07-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Of course I ignore most of your posts and I didn't see you make such a comment before. In fact, I didn't read your post in this thread until you quoted mine.

So I guess it wasn't an echo, just two different birds unknowingly chirping the same thing.

You assured me once I quit nagging you about your award we'd be peaches.

What happened? Hell-bells, if you're still putting me in the deep freeze I might as well bust your chops over the Award.

Yes?

JamStone
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
You assured me once I quit nagging you about your award we'd be peaches.

What happened? Hell-bells, if you're still putting me in the deep freeze I might as well bust your chops over the Award.

Yes?

Got no problem. I merely responded to you. Did not cuss you out. Did not talk down to you. Simply told you what was up.

You've done well not to continue going award crazy with your posts. I ignore most of your posts with regularity but so what? If you decide you want to resurrect that little poo party, you may force me to really in fact namlock ignore list you. I found it that annoying.

Your choice.

Ashy Larry
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Lakers should get in on this. Offer shooting of the dead eye Sasha Vujacic and the dominating passing skills of Luke Walton. The Bricks would come out on top if that deal was made.

Kamnik
07-06-2010, 04:08 PM
DOK with some serious Post aMare Sickness :P

Lee would be great adition to the Suns. He would be recieving passes from Nash and Dragic instead of whoever plays PG in NY... Duhon or who was it?

Lopez/Lee/Dudley/Dragič would be a solid core on which to build on in the future... Trading Nash for a solid young SG would be awsome too.

Giuseppe
07-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Got no problem. I merely responded to you. Did not cuss you out. Did not talk down to you. Simply told you what was up.

You've done well not to continue going award crazy with your posts. I ignore most of your posts with regularity but so what? If you decide you want to resurrect that little poo party, you may force me to really in fact namlock ignore list you. I found it that annoying.

Your choice.

I was just checkin' assholes, and your's needed it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
No, I don't. I was making fun of you thinking that a midrange jumper is the only thing that separates David Lee from Louis Amundson.

What else does?

badfish22
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
What else does?

basketball talent

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
DOK with some serious Post aMare Sickness

I've been calling David Lee an overrated rich man's Louis Amundson long before Amare signed with New York. He's just the latest addition to the long list of players who've had their numbers inflated by D'antoni, his numbers even moreso because he did it on a shitty team.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
basketball talent

So you can't point out anything specific. Thanks for proving my point.

pauls931
07-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I'll feel a bit better if the Suns can get Lee, but anything short of Dirk is a downgrade and that's impossible now.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
It's gonna be even more impossible to rebuild if the Suns give David Lee a 5 year deal in the 8-9 million range like they probably will. Of all teams and fan bases that should have learned their lesson about D'antoni inflating #'s and making players appear better than they really are, the Suns and Suns fans should know best, yet they're falling for this stupid crap. The biggest role David Lee will ever have on a championship team is a 25 MPG 6th man.

pauls931
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
It's gonna be even more impossible to rebuild if the Suns give David Lee a 5 year deal in the 8-9 million range like they probably will. Of all teams and fan bases that should have learned their lesson about D'antoni inflating #'s and making players appear better than they really are, the Suns and Suns fans should know best, yet they're falling for this stupid crap. The biggest role David Lee will ever have on a championship team is a 25 MPG 6th man.

Then as a GM, what do you suggest the Suns do right now considering the current contracts they have? Who should the go after? No one?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Then as a GM, what do you suggest the Suns do right now considering the current contracts they have? Who should the go after? No one?

Yup, no one. Once they decided not to give Amare a guaranteed 5 years and he went to New York it was time to rebuild and start stockpiling young players and draft picks while clearing cap room, not overpaying overvalued role players like Frye, Warrick and Lee. They shouldn't be in win now mode yet they're making moves as if they are.

jacobdrj
07-06-2010, 05:59 PM
The Suns should TOTALLY agree to a sign and trade, to further screw the GeriatriKnick-Suns... Just because...

The signing of Amare by the GeriatriKnick-Suns guarantee the mediocrity of that franchise for the next 5 years...

And this makes the Suns better with a positive attitude change.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Lee was overrated for a while earlier in the season, but he's a good player, especially in a system like you see in Phoenix..

The biggest improvement in his game was that he added efficiency and range to his mid-range jump shot..a 10% improvement overall, but he added effectiveness to his range, all the way around the top of the key to inside the 3-point line..

Lee, like Stoudemire, is a horrible defender..the difference is that he's a very solid defensive rebounder, unlike Amare..it doesn't make up for his defensive deficiencies, but it's an upgrade over Amare on the defensive end..

Also, unlike Stoudemire, Lee is a good passer and always has been..there's also an obvious difference in rebounding..

Amare is a much, much more explosive player..he strikes more fear into the other team, he creates off the dribble better, he's a better finisher..scoring is the only advantage Stoudemire has over him, although it's obviously a huge advantage..

Lee would be a downgrade from Amare, but he would definitely be a very good addition to the Suns system, and he would be a big part in keeping them in the playoffs, maybe keeping them in the 2nd round..

JamStone
07-06-2010, 06:32 PM
What else does?

David Lee has touch around the rim. I've seen Lou miss a five foot put back attempt by 4 feet.

David Lee has become a competent if not solid passer. Lou couldn't pass the basketball if it was intestinal gas.

David Lee can actually dribble the basketball. My 7 year old niece can dribble the basketball better than Louis Amundson. But to be fair, my niece can dribble the basketball pretty good for a 7 year old girl.

David Lee isn't a very good defender, but he's become more than just a rebounder. He's active enough to be good for a steal or two each game. Amundson hustles a lot but doesn't give anything much more than rebounding.

David Lee can attack the basket off the dribble. Lou might be able to attack the basket off the dribble by dribbling the basketball off of his foot.

Kamnik
07-07-2010, 06:08 AM
David Lee has touch around the rim. I've seen Lou miss a five foot put back attempt by 4 feet.

David Lee can actually dribble the basketball. My 7 year old niece can dribble the basketball better than Louis Amundson. But to be fair, my niece can dribble the basketball pretty good for a 7 year old girl.

:lmao:lmao

Muser
07-07-2010, 06:31 AM
I've been calling David Lee an overrated rich man's Louis Amundson long before Amare signed with New York. He's just the latest addition to the long list of players who've had their numbers inflated by D'antoni, his numbers even moreso because he did it on a shitty team.

So in a D'antoni system Amundson would average the same as Lee?

Goran Dragic
07-07-2010, 07:21 AM

David Lee has become a competent if not solid passer. Lou couldn't pass the basketball if it was intestinal gas.

David Lee isn't a very good defender, but he's become more than just a rebounder. He's active enough to be good for a steal or two each game. Amundson hustles a lot but doesn't give anything much more than rebounding.

David Lee can attack the basket off the dribble. Lou might be able to attack the basket off the dribble by dribbling the basketball off of his foot.

lol acting like David Lee can create for himself off the dribble