PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Truehoop, Henry Abbott: Would the Spurs trade Tony Parker?

jiggy_55
07-06-2010, 10:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17681/would-the-spurs-trade-tony-parker

Would the Spurs trade Tony Parker?
July, 6, 2010
By Henry Abbott

One of the theories that has been floating around is that the Knicks will try to get Tony Parker as a running mate for Amare Stoudemire.

It's a great idea from the Knicks' end -- this would make them vastly better, of course. Mike D'Antoni's offensive system and Stoudemire's offense both stand to gain a ton of efficiency from a great point guard.

But isn't that some kind of pipe dream? What could the Knicks possibly offer San Antonio in exchange for a top-grade point guard like Parker? Why are people even talking about this? Isn't it just crazy?

Not so crazy, it turns out. There are signs from all over that Parker really is in the mix for New York, and the main thing the Spurs would get in such a trade is a trade exception.

Before you laugh, consider that in this summer of free agency, there are lots of high-value young players floating around (Wesley Matthews has been mentioned) who will be fairly cheap and would help the Spurs stay vibrant as Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili age. Efficient, energetic and cheap role players are the lifeblood of the Spurs' organization. But if they are going to sign Tiago Splitter with their midlevel exception, the Spurs won't be able to get any of those guys without some cap creativity.

Tim Varner of 48 Minutes of Hell addressed the possibility a few days ago:
If the Spurs sent Parker to the Knicks, they could, as one example, take back Toney Douglas (adding depth behind George Hill at point guard) and a whopping big trade exception. Nothing more. N.Y. is under the cap. Salaries don’t have to match.

The Spurs could then use the trade exception to shop the free agent market, effectively giving themselves cap space to play with. Of course, the Spurs couldn’t sign players outright with trade exception money, but, in this market, there are plenty of contracted players or free agents who could be had through a trade or sign and trade.

In a similar manner, the Spurs could sign and trade Richard Jefferson to a team under the cap and take back a large trade exception for him as well.

Trade exception money can be split amongst multiple players, and the Spurs would have a year to utilize the funds.

For Knicks fans it's a question of: Where do I sign up for that? For Spurs fans ... does this do anything for you? Does the emergence of George Hill as Parker's potential replacement change the thinking, allowing the Spurs to "sell high" on Parker before age depletes his value?

coyotes_geek
07-06-2010, 10:11 AM
It's a plausible scenario, but one that only makes sense for the Spurs if they have their free agent target and that free agent's team on board BEFORE the trigger is pulled on the deal that sends Parker to NY. Ultimately, that's why I don't think it will happen because you're effectively trying to negotiate a 3 team trade plus a free agent signing simultaneously. Pretty complicated.

All this being entirely separate from the issue of what FA out there is worth giving up Parker for once you take away the Lebrons, Wades and Boshes.

jiggy_55
07-06-2010, 10:15 AM
It's a plausible scenario, but one that only makes sense for the Spurs if they have their free agent target and that free agent's team on board BEFORE the trigger is pulled on the deal that sends Parker to NY. Ultimately, that's why I don't think it will happen because you're effectively trying to negotiate a 3 team trade plus a free agent signing simultaneously. Pretty complicated.

Similar to my thoughts after reading it.

Why isn't there such a thing as a Free Agent Exception? Lol, could be put to good use by many teams!

timvp
07-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Trading RJ for a trade exception = greatness

Trading TP for a trade exception = stupidity

spursfaninla
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17681/would-the-spurs-trade-tony-parker

Would the Spurs trade Tony Parker?
July, 6, 2010
By Henry Abbott

Before you laugh, consider that in this summer of free agency, there are lots of high-value young players floating around (Wesley Matthews has been mentioned) who will be fairly cheap and would help the Spurs stay vibrant as Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili age. Efficient, energetic and cheap role players are the lifeblood of the Spurs' organization. But if they are going to sign Tiago Splitter with their midlevel exception, the Spurs won't be able to get any of those guys without some cap creativity.

Tim Varner of 48 Minutes of Hell addressed the possibility a few days ago:
If the Spurs sent Parker to the Knicks, they could, as one example, take back Toney Douglas (adding depth behind George Hill at point guard) and a whopping big trade exception. Nothing more. N.Y. is under the cap. Salaries don’t have to match.

The Spurs could then use the trade exception to shop the free agent market, effectively giving themselves cap space to play with. Of course, the Spurs couldn’t sign players outright with trade exception money, but, in this market, there are plenty of contracted players or free agents who could be had through a trade or sign and trade.

In a similar manner, the Spurs could sign and trade Richard Jefferson to a team under the cap and take back a large trade exception for him as well.

Trade exception money can be split amongst multiple players, and the Spurs would have a year to utilize the funds.

1) Is it not true that the trade exception is ONLY useful if another team wants to "dump" a high salary player to us, or will take a low salary player from us and give us a high salary player?

2) Assuming that, the trade exception will be most likely to be used either now,when teams want salary cap space hoping to sign a free agent, or at the trade deadline, when they know their team sucks and they want to dump someone to save money.

3) If we trade parker for said exception now and don't land someone during the summer soon, we have thrown the year away. Even if we get somebody that is ok, we are done without a major offensive contributor minus parker.

Period.

4) Seems to me there is salary inflation, rather than "many cheap players." there are plenty of teams with too much money to spend, and they will spend it. I don't see the cheap players they are talking about.

A trade exception for RJ I can live with. For parker, that seems like a very risky idea. I remember getting one from trading Beno, and that just expired, we got nothing.

Ice009
How do you get a player with a trade exception? They already have to be signed on a team? How would you get a free agent? Do they have to sign on their team first and then get traded to you? If so then the trade exception isn't worth it for TP. Getting a trade exception for RJ would be great though.

DBMethos
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I really don't think the national media (or many Spurs fans, for that matter), understand the drop-off from Parker to George Hill. George is good and is getting better, but Tony is a Top 5 point guard in the NBA. That has to count for something, especially considering that TD and Manu will be yet another year older.

BlairForceDejuan
07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
There is no logic behind getting rid of a 3-time PROVEN NBA champion/mvp with instant offense who is clutch for nothing more than question marks.

If you want cap space, you should not have acquired the lame Dick.

rjv
07-06-2010, 10:38 AM
there is no logic behind getting rid of a 3-time proven nba champion/mvp with instant offense who is clutch for nothing more than question marks.

If you want cap space, you should not have acquired the lame dick.

+1

coyotes_geek
07-06-2010, 10:40 AM
I really don't think the national media (or many Spurs fans, for that matter), understand the drop-off from Parker to George Hill. George is good and is getting better, but Tony is a Top 5 point guard in the NBA. That has to count for something, especially considering that TD and Manu will be yet another year older.

Even if they did understand it wouldn't change anything. Talking about player movement is fun, especially when it involves talking about the team playing in the largest media market in the country. Talking about the possibility of Tony and Amare creates way more buzz than talking about the reality of how the dropoff from Parker to Hill makes it much less likely that the Spurs would move Parker.

PublicOption
07-06-2010, 10:43 AM
shaq and splitter

PublicOption
07-06-2010, 10:43 AM
do it pop

DynastySpurs210
07-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Everyone makes a big fuzz about TP going or staying. Chances of him leaving SA, are really high according to Tele mundo lol. Guy you have to accept Tonys like a son moving up to college. You loved him and cared about him but now its time to move on and take care of the little ones "GEORGE HILL"

SenorSpur
07-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Precisely what I was thinking.

BTW, I read that if this scenario occured, the Spurs would have 1 year to use such an exception. Does anyone know what the general terms and conditions of an NBA trade exception are?

Cane
07-06-2010, 10:51 AM
If there's a deal worth it, the Spurs would trade Tony Parker but its going to have to be one hell of a deal to convince the Spurs not to go all-in next season with a healthy big 3 + Tiago.

They also should make offers at premier FA's like they were rumored to have done with Bosh otherwise they'd be incompetent Front Office people especially in the post-Gasol NBA.

rayray2k8
07-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Exactly. I was willing to do the trade to the Nets for Favors and possible even Harris, but for just a trade exception? GTFO out of here with that shit. :rolleyes

purist
07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
+1

Lame Dick is not the problem. He can walk away and Spurs still don't have cap space.

Cane
07-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Just curious, wasn't Bruno mocking me for a very similar idea I half assed the other day?

I like Bruno but he's still got that French flag under his name IIRC and thus, awfully biased in favor of Parker :downspin:

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't really care whether Bruno is biased or not, because pretty much every Parker trade idea has been either really stupid or unrealistic IMO..

If the Spurs trade Parker, they are virtually giving up on the season IMO, unless the other team is extremely incompetent(which is possible, since the NBA has a lot of bad front offices)..

gilmor
07-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't really care whether Bruno is biased or not, because pretty much every Parker trade idea has been either really stupid or unrealistic IMO..

If the Spurs trade Parker, they are virtually giving up on the season IMO, unless the other team is extremely incompetent(which is possible, since the NBA has a lot of bad front offices)..

If the Spurs traded Parker, which I hope they don't.. They won't come close to winning anything in the next 5 years.

SenorSpur
07-06-2010, 11:24 AM
It's funny how the National media and NBA analysts ALL seem to think that George Hill is a PG.

DynastySpurs210
07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
It's funny how the National media and NBA analysts ALL seem to think that George Hill is a PG.

Why not?

Bruno
07-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Bruno might be the best poster when it comes down to numbers, but he gets defensive of TP. It's fair enough. Parker is the best player out of France and likely the reason he is a Spurs fan.

First, Parker isn't the reason why I'm a Spur fan. Keep the fact that I'm French out of it because it has nothing to do with that discussion.

Second, I'm not defensive when it comes to Parker but a lot of people are plain stupid when it comes to him and a trade. Parker is 28 years old, in his prime, 3 times NBA champions, 3 times all star, 1 time final MVP and 1 time all NBA 3rd team. He is arguably the best Spurs ever behind Gervin, Duncan and Robinson. So yes, when you propose to trade him for Anthony Randolph or when some blogger wants to trade him for Toney Douglas, I find that damn dumb.

I like you and I find that you're a quality poster but it doesn't mean that I had to agree with all you said and I wholly disagree with you on that subject.

coyotes_geek
07-06-2010, 11:28 AM
A parker for Toney Douglas trade would only happen if R.C. had a gun to his head.

Or if the Spurs had another trade with a different team already worked out that would land the Spurs someone who helped their title chances more than Tony does.

Whether such a deal exists or not is a different matter. I doubt it does.

The Btown Spur
07-06-2010, 11:29 AM
trading rj for a trade exception = greatness

trading tp for a trade exception = stupidity

+1

tuncaboylu
07-06-2010, 11:36 AM
New Yorkers saw that Lebron is staying, Wade is addressed to Miami or Chicago and they have no hope adding another big free-agent except Amare. So they're trying to create smokescreen to land Parker by this meaningless scenerios.

Spurs don't need trade exception now. If they want to trade Parker, they can use his expiring contract anytime of the year until trade deadline and his value isn't decreasing.

lurker23
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
A few thoughts from my end:

-Like coyotes_geek said, the Spurs aren't going to do this blindly; if they're even considering this, it's going to be with specific free agents and/or trade targets in mind, already contacted, with a good chance of them wanting to come to SA.

-As a corollary to that, you would think that if the Spurs had this as a legitimate part of their potential plans, we would have heard more through the rumor mill. The only players we've heard the Spurs reaching out to are the likes of Wesley Matthews, and a small footnote that they talked with Toronto about a potential Chris Bosh S&T. It's hard to imagine the Spurs trading away their franchise point guard so they can land a few small fish to fill roles.

-Even if they were to land a relatively big fish, it still feels like rebuilding. If you truly think you have a chance at a title this year, I think you put your faith in your established Big 3, who have good chemistry both on and off the court, and hope that the addition of Tiago Splitter is enough to refocus the defensive foundation of the system.

-Finally, if you're doing a trade like Abbott suggests (Parker for Douglas and a TE), I sure hope you're landing a first rounder or two as well.

tuncaboylu
07-06-2010, 11:54 AM
-Finally, if you're doing a trade like Abbott suggests (Parker for Douglas and a TE), I sure hope you're landing a first rounder or two as well.

You can't hope too much from New York's first rounder next year, after sending Parker to them. Since they have both Parker and Amare, the pick won't be higher than 20.

I really can't understand why we're discussing to send our all-star PG for an unprovena not lottery pick and trade exception. 2 years old Toney Douglas to back-up our 3 years old Hill in PG position. Is that a joke that I couldn't laugh?

Is this the best offer that we can find? Is everybody crazy? We can try to get Bosh if we decide to send Parker to Toronto, they can get him without second thought.

Cane
07-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Is this the best offer that we can find? Is everybody crazy? We can try to get Bosh if we decide to send Parker to Toronto, they can get him without second thought.

No thats not the best offer that we can find. Hell thats not even the best offer the guy above you listed. You seemed to have went in tunnel vision mode and focused on his last point when he had other scenarios listed as well.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-06-2010, 12:00 PM
First, Parker isn't the reason why I'm a Spur fan. Keep the fact that I'm French out of it because it has nothing to do with that discussion.

Second, I'm not defensive when it comes to Parker but a lot of people are plain stupid when it comes to him and a trade. Parker is 28 years old, in his prime, 3 times NBA champions, 3 times all star, 1 time final MVP and 1 time all NBA 3rd team. He is arguably the best Spurs ever behind Gervin, Duncan, Robinson, and Ginobili.

Fixed. :toast

tuncaboylu
07-06-2010, 12:00 PM
No thats not the best offer that we can find. Hell thats not even the best offer the guy above you listed. You seemed to have went in tunnel vision mode and focused on his last point when he had other scenarios listed as well.

There is no other scenerio about Parker that guy listed in his writing. If there is, please show me.

He wrote in his final sentence:

For Knicks fans it's a question of: Where do I sign up for that? For Spurs fans ... does this do anything for you? Does the emergence of George Hill as Parker's potential replacement change the thinking, allowing the Spurs to "sell high" on Parker before age depletes his value?

Parker's age is deplating his value? How old is he? Is he aging more than the other players in the league? 29 years old JJ is signing 6 years 119M contract, but Parker's age is depleting his value?

Cane
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
There is no other scenerio about Parker that guy listed in his writing. If there is, please show me.

A few thoughts from my end:

-Like coyotes_geek said, the Spurs aren't going to do this blindly; if they're even considering this, it's going to be with specific free agents and/or trade targets in mind, already contacted, with a good chance of them wanting to come to SA.

-As a corollary to that, you would think that if the Spurs had this as a legitimate part of their potential plans, we would have heard more through the rumor mill. The only players we've heard the Spurs reaching out to are the likes of Wesley Matthews, and a small footnote that they talked with Toronto about a potential Chris Bosh S&T. It's hard to imagine the Spurs trading away their franchise point guard so they can land a few small fish to fill roles.

-Even if they were to land a relatively big fish, it still feels like rebuilding. If you truly think you have a chance at a title this year, I think you put your faith in your established Big 3, who have good chemistry both on and off the court, and hope that the addition of Tiago Splitter is enough to refocus the defensive foundation of the system.

picnroll
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I have several misgivings about Parker. His questionable desire to re-sign with the Spurs and the more than mixed signals he's been giving about his willingness to move on. His out of the normal character of a Spur's player love for the fast lane, rap pin, movie star marrying life style which is more suited to the glamor cities. The fact that his next contract would carry him into Spurs rebuilding years where he wouldn't be happy or helping. The fact that Parker is a speed guard, not a change of pace, big strong or creative playmaker guard and his speed is going to go away during his next contract. If the Spurs can get the right deal I'm all for moving him. The trick is getting the right deal.

tuncaboylu
07-06-2010, 12:06 PM

I was answering to Hanry Abbott, not lurker23

Cane
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I was answering to Hanry Abbott, not lurker23

Ah my bad then :toast

tuncaboylu
07-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Ah my bad then :toast

Cheers :toast :)

ohmwrecker
07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Fixed. :toast

He kind of busted himself there a little bit.

MannyIsGod
07-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Exactly. The only way this makes sense is if you flip TP for talent out of the gate not the potential of adding talent later.

At this point the only thing I've heard worthwhile is trading TP for Bosh. Nothing else comes close to peaking my interest.

beirmeistr
07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I have several misgivings about Parker. His questionable desire to re-sign with the Spurs and the more than mixed signals he's been giving about his willingness to move on. His out of the normal character of a Spur's player love for the fast lane, rap pin, movie star marrying life style which is more suited to the glamor cities. The fact that his next contract would carry him into Spurs rebuilding years where he wouldn't be happy or helping. The fact that Parker is a speed guard, not a change of pace, big strong or creative playmaker guard and his speed is going to go away during his next contract. If the Spurs can get the right deal I'm all for moving him. The trick is getting the right deal.

Very thoughtful, truthful post.

coyotes_geek
07-06-2010, 01:03 PM

You're missing the point that Abbott was trying to make. Say for example that Bosh insisted on being a Spur and Toronto had no interest in taking on a large return salary as part of a S&T. That would be a scenario where it could make sense for the Spurs to trade away Tony to New York for basically just peanuts and a giant trade exception. Spurs ship out Tony for a TE in one deal, then make a second deal to get Bosh using the TE they just got from trading Tony.

The key though would be having that 2nd deal already worked out. There's no sense whatsoever to the Spurs trading away Tony and then going around trying to find a player to acquire with it.

Blackjack
07-06-2010, 01:07 PM
You're missing the point that Abbott was trying to make. Say for example that Bosh insisted on being a Spur and Toronto had no interest in taking on a large return salary as part of a S&T. That would be a scenario where it could make sense for the Spurs to trade away Tony to New York for basically just peanuts and a giant trade exception. Spurs ship out Tony for a TE in one deal, then make a second deal to get Bosh using the TE they just got from trading Tony.

The key though would be having that 2nd deal already worked out. There's no sense whatsoever to the Spurs trading away Tony and then going around trying to find a player to acquire with it.

That trade exception isn't likely to cover a max contract for Bosh, though.

coyotes_geek
07-06-2010, 01:13 PM

Correct. Dumping Tony's salary alone doesn't create enough room to offer someone like Bosh a max deal. Since guys like Bosh are pretty much the only guys for whom it makes sense to consider moving Tony for, that makes it pretty hard for me to think up a scenario where the Spurs come out ahead by trading Tony.

But, just to keep the conversation going, Parker's contract alone does get you pretty close to a max deal. Spurs could probably get there by tossing in Gee & Hairston.

lurker23
07-06-2010, 01:17 PM

True. How-evah...

Parker+Gee+Hairston+Temple+Jerrells = $16,790,974

Bosh max deal ~ $16.6 million

:stirpot:

G-Dawgg
07-06-2010, 01:18 PM
If the Spurs don't trade Tony Parker, he's gonna pull a Rod Strickland on us in a year and I'll be laughing at how stupid everybody is for not wanting to get anything for him in return -just cuz he's their hero... lol

I'm not saying to settle for just a trade exception, but if that's all
we could get for him AT LEAST GET SOMETHING. Don't let him pull what Dick Jefferson is doing and let him go for nothing next year!

Duncan2177
07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Tony Parker for Josh Smith? :downspin:

Supergirl
07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Jesus fucking christ I hope the SPurs FO is not as a stupid as Henry Abbott, Spurstalk posters, and anyone else who even wants to entertain the idea of trading a top 5 PG for peanuts. WTF. Just reading about this making me sick to my stomach. I trust Pop and the FO is not this stupid.

Dex
07-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah, let's trade away the heart of our system and the engine that makes the Spurs machine go, and hope we can get somebody half as talented, not to mention as familiar, as Parker back in S&T or trade exceptions.

If they plan to rest Duncan and Ginobili next season, Parker is the one leg the Spurs have to stand on.

George Hill is not ready to run this team, and may never be.

Blackjack
07-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Correct. Dumping Tony's salary alone doesn't create enough room to offer someone like Bosh a max deal. Since guys like Bosh are pretty much the only guys for whom it makes sense to consider moving Tony for, that makes it pretty hard for me to think up a scenario where the Spurs come out ahead by trading Tony.

But, just to keep the conversation going, Parker's contract alone does get you pretty close to a max deal. Spurs could probably get there by tossing in Gee & Hairston.

True. How-evah...

Parker+Gee+Hairston+Temple+Jerrells = $16,790,974

Bosh max deal ~ $16.6 million

:stirpot:

:lol

I wasn't telling you it couldn't be done, just not solely on account of Tony.

AND YOU LEAVE HAIRSTON OUT OF THIS, lurker!!! :downspin:

lurker23
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM

I wasn't telling you it couldn't be done, just not solely on account of Tony.

AND YOU LEAVE HAIRSTON OUT OF THIS, lurker!!! :downspin:

:smokin

silverblk mystix
07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Why not?

he is a 2

Blackjack
07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
:smokin

And that would be the appropriate response. :tu

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1247/1449723070_269c1a3f59_o.gif

:elephant

xmas1997
07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
I'll open a new can of worms here! lol
I already mentioned a scenario of Bosh coming here by using TP.

But would the Spurs trade TP for Nash? Nash could mentor Hill, and Jefferson would thrive.
Just another insane thought to add to all the other insane thoughts.

Pauleta14
07-06-2010, 02:30 PM

=10000000

I couldn't have answered better (or a shorter :lol)

SpursTillTheEnd
07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
yes its been confirmed amare was right parker wants to be traded to the knicks, and sources say the knicks are looking for a 3rd team to send a sf to san antonio in a trade, look for this trade to happen if wade or lebron dont go to the knicks, so i would say by the end of this month

timvp
07-06-2010, 02:35 PM

The bold part above makes no sense to me. First of all, Parker talking about possibly moving on is exactly what Ginobili did last year during the season. Spurs fans were mostly fine with Ginobili talking about being open to signing elsewhere during the middle of the regular season but burn Parker at the stake for saying the same thing in the summer? Okay . . .

I also don't understand how Spurs fans hold Parker marrying a TV star against him. Spurs fans, for some unknown reason, would rather Parker be unhappy and married to a no-name then happy and married to a celebrity. Again, I don't understand the logic behind that.

And Parker living in the fast lane? He goes on vacation during the offseason and attends a few events here and there ... and that's about it. Not exactly a fast lane if you ask me.

The rest of your post is somewhat logical but the bold is baseless.

But whatever, Spurs fans have never and will never really appreciate what Parker brings to the team. They're willing to sprain their neck looking for things to hold against him. It's just weird more than anything.

For the record, I'm not against trading him depending on the deal and the position the Spurs find themselves. He's far from untouchable. But it'd be great if Spurs fans concentrated on reality instead of inventing issues and controversies.

tuncaboylu
07-06-2010, 02:36 PM

So why is those 2 trades should be done sepeartely? If Abbott was thinking as you said he would write the following one.

In a 3 team deal we send Parker to New York, they send trade exception to Toronto and Toronto sends Bosh to us.

Mr Absurd was not thinking Bosh in San Antonio while he was writing this scenerio. His whole wish is to see Parker in New York and he's dreaming.

spursfaninla
07-06-2010, 02:41 PM
yes its been confirmed amare was right parker wants to be traded to the knicks, and sources say the knicks are looking for a 3rd team to send a sf to san antonio in a trade, look for this trade to happen if wade or lebron dont go to the knicks, so i would say by the end of this month

Link to confirmed that parker wants to leave?

Link that knicks are looking for 3rd team?

Link that Knicks have anything to give 3rd team?

Link that end of month is magic deadline?

Otherwise, fail.

Pauleta14
07-06-2010, 02:43 PM

I Agree very much!

I can understand from the fanbase, but from the media and some "respected" journalists... WTF??!!!!???!! :bang

I'm used no have no respect to the french journalists and in particular the one who follow sports and I was kind of "jalous" about the US ones who seemed to have a better knowledge of their sports, but the more it goes, the more it seems they are all the same!! :lol
Like a lot of fans, I end up so often (like now!) thinking "I should have his job, I would do soo much better!"...
I mean, sport is just a hobby for me and like for most of you I know so much more than them, it's scary... :wow

and what about Timvp, Bruno... you must be laughing guys!

Pauleta14
07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
The bold part above makes no sense to me. First of all, Parker talking about possibly moving on is exactly what Ginobili did last year during the season. Spurs fans were mostly fine with Ginobili talking about being open to signing elsewhere during the middle of the regular season but burn Parker at the stake for saying the same thing in the summer? Okay . . .

I also don't understand how Spurs fans hold Parker marrying a TV star against him. Spurs fans, for some unknown reason, would rather Parker be unhappy and married to a no-name then happy and married to a celebrity. Again, I don't understand the logic behind that.

And Parker living in the fast lane? He goes on vacation during the offseason and attends a few events here and there ... and that's about it. Not exactly a fast lane if you ask me.

But whatever, Spurs fans have never and will never really appreciate what Parker brings to the team. They're willing to sprain their neck looking for things to hold against him. It's just weird more than anything.

For the record, I'm not against trading him depending on the deal and the position the Spurs find themselves. He's far from untouchable. But it'd be great if Spurs fans concentrated on reality instead of inventing issues and controversies.

:toast

You (and some others) are one of the main reasons I keep coming on ST...

Let me ask you a question, IF you were Tony's agent/adviser, what would you suggest him to do?

I mean, I'm pretty sure he'd love to end his career in SA but (even if he doesn't come on ST) does he feel he is not really apreciate by the fanbase (at least the way he should be for what he has done)?

Maybe the "Parker haters" are not that many after all, they just post a lot...:lol

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Trade Parker would be stupid. He'll be in a contract year and we'll see the 2009 TP again. I hope he stays, play well and sign an extension

alchemist
07-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Hill as the starting PG = nightmare.

I hope the Spurs have someone lined up if Parker leaves or it's Detroit Pistons all over again.

picnroll
07-06-2010, 03:29 PM

I don't criticize Parker for his lifestyle choice, that's what you read into it. At the same time, admittedly not knowing him, he seems to enjoy the in the spotlight celebrity lifestyle more than Duncan or Ginobili. That's fine. Frankly if I grew up in Paris I might long for Living in a more cosmopolitan city. And I appreciate Parker's contribution. That said I have doubt, all things, i.e., money, being equal that Parker's first choice would be SA and personally I would not want the Spurs to give Parker a maxed out contract to keep him for the next 5 or 6 years. If the right deal, let me make that clear THE RIGHT DEAL, came I would not be against the Spurs trading him.

superbigtime
07-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Amen!

timvp
07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't criticize Parker for his lifestyle choice, that's what you read into it.

Huh? This looks pretty clear:

I have several misgivings about Parker. His questionable desire to re-sign with the Spurs and the more than mixed signals he's been giving about his willingness to move on. His out of the normal character of a Spur's player love for the fast lane, rap pin, movie star marrying life style which is more suited to the glamor cities.

What am I reading into wrong?

At the same time, admittedly not knowing him, he seems to enjoy the in the spotlight celebrity lifestyle more than Duncan or Ginobili.

:lmao 99% of the NBA enjoys the celebrity spotlight more than Duncan or Ginobili. Hell, it's probably 100%. Duncan and Ginobili might be the two most unassuming celebrities in the world. Holding anyone up that standard is unrealistic.

silverblk mystix
07-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Agree 100%

IMO there are a couple of things that I feel no-one has really mentioned here--regarding TP and Manu's loyalty and/or willingness to be traded---willingness to re-sign with the spurs...

#1) TP and Manu have been 100% model citizens, gentlemen, and TRUE spurs in every way, so WHY has everyone always invented reasons why they will leave,why they should be traded,etc...

Manu could have become a free agent and most likely would have been paid a lot more by numerous teams---and he KNEW it---but he stayed. IMO I believe that Manu was loyal because the spurs showed him respect and let him know that they wanted him.

#2) TP has ALSO been all of the above and IMO if the spurs treat him with respect---there is a good chance he will stay.
...as far as EVA --she is a TEXAS GIRL--why would she have to leave when all TP and Eva have to do is fly at a moments notice to anywhere in the world--why does everyone ASSUME that TP OR Eva are pining for some glamourous city? they already have the resources to be anywhere,anytime.

#3) this is just a hunch---but I feel that because TP and Manu are not originally american born and raised---they seem to have a different upbringing---a more ...old world upbringing-if you will...they don't seem to follow the spoiled,tatted,thuggish,hip-hop culture as deeply as other NBA playas'---
this means, to me anyway that they have MANNERS and certain things resonate more with them;
things such as respect, a team/family atmosphere, politeness,straight-shooting from Pop,etc....

IMO all these things matter and it seems insulting to lump these two special spurs with all the other free agents who will jump ship at the drop of a hat.

TP should retire as a spur and if allowed to do so...I see more titles in the near future.

timvp
07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
If the right deal, let me make that clear THE RIGHT DEAL, came I would not be against the Spurs trading him.

Agreed. If the Spurs get a great offer or if the team has no chance and TP is likely to leave in free agency, I have no issue with trading him.

Pauleta14
07-06-2010, 04:06 PM
that's a lot of "if" guys... and big ones!

picnroll
07-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Huh? This looks pretty clear:

What am I reading wrong
What your reading wrong is that I'm not disapproving or criticizing his lifestyle choices but that at this stage in his career/life I think he finds a city like NY more enjoyable, better suited to the celebrity lifestyle he enjoys, certainly his celebrity in NY better for his wife's career. That that is, among other reasons, why he may be prone to not sign with the Spurs and why trading him might be the best option as opposed to losing him for little to nothing. I might be right or wrong in reading the situation but only someone wearing rose colored glasses wouldn't weigh that as a possible motivation that goes into the mix of him staying or leaving.

Blackjack
07-06-2010, 04:24 PM
It really amuses me how Hill's become incapable of playing the point for the Spurs. Like the Spurs would be screwed and just fall off the map.

Newton's Third Law of Motion:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Pop and some fans overhype, which creates and equal and opposite backlash.

I've got news for all parties, Hill is a far cry from Tony at the point and most likely will never become his equal. But Hill's future is at the point and he's going to be a pretty damn good one in his way -- he'll never be prototypical or 'the quintessential' but neither was -- or is -- Tony.

Is it ever possible for a Spurs fan to appreciate two players on their team that's game or position conflict and just recognizing it as such: a conflict of position or abilities and not a blood feud that needs a side to be taken?

pad300
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Lets try thinking a little strategically:

The Spurs have 2 possible objectives with such a trade. 1) Try for a championship in the remaining 2 years of Duncan & Manu. 2) Set up for the Post Duncan & Manu years.

IF 1), trading Parker needs to bring back assets that bring more basketball value, than Parker does next season. That means for example, some sort of sign and trade for a PG or a COMBO guard who brings MORE to the table than Parker. For example, CP3 or Roy (Note, I am not suggesting either of those are available, but that's the kind of TALENT we are talking). Any offseason involving Tony leaving would not fit this strategic intent unless a strong starting level PG comes in; Hill is not a starting PG on a championship team.

IF 2), trading Parker needs to bring back enough you potential to have a chance of building a championship contender around. That means a potential heir to Duncan's throne, or other potential lead dog level player. For example, Derick Favors, Greg Oden, DeMarcus Cousins (maybe).

Anything less than these two extremes means it makes far more sense to wait for the next CBA and see what happens to the value of a maximum contract; it's going to go down. The question is : how much? It may well be that TP would be sginificantly better off accepting a 5yrs/$65 million extension, which the SAS ownership might well pay. Tony has a strong incentive to resign due to the uncertainty in the new CBA...

spursfaninla
07-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Lets try thinking a little strategically:

The Spurs have 2 possible objectives with such a trade. 1) Try for a championship in the remaining 2 years of Duncan & Manu. 2) Set up for the Post Duncan & Manu years.

IF 1), trading Parker needs to bring back assets that bring more basketball value, than Parker does next season. That means for example, some sort of sign and trade for a PG or a COMBO guard who brings MORE to the table than Parker. For example, CP3 or Roy (Note, I am not suggesting either of those are available, but that's the kind of TALENT we are talking). Any offseason involving Tony leaving would not fit this strategic intent unless a strong starting level PG comes in; Hill is not a starting PG on a championship team.

IF 2), trading Parker needs to bring back enough you potential to have a chance of building a championship contender around. That means a potential heir to Duncan's throne, or other potential lead dog level player. For example, Derick Favors, Greg Oden, DeMarcus Cousins (maybe).

Anything less than these two extremes means it makes far more sense to wait for the next CBA and see what happens to the value of a maximum contract; it's going to go down. The question is : how much? It may well be that TP would be sginificantly better off accepting a 5yrs/$65 million extension, which the SAS ownership might well pay. Tony has a strong incentive to resign due to the uncertainty in the new CBA...

This is what I have been preaching. I think people do not give enough importance to TP getting a deal done this year, vs. what he will be able to command after next summer with the new CBA. It changes what we can offer him and how affordable he will be. significantly.

He might still not want to play for the Spurs after TD retires if they are not a playoff team, though.

Blackjack
07-06-2010, 05:02 PM

I pretty much agree with the premise, except for the part in bold.

The Spurs don't need to have a Parker-level talent at the point or 2, but they would need comparable talent -- should they bolster the front court 3-5 and have Hill at the point, they'd be just fine. But if you're expecting Hill to be Tony, you'll be sorely disappointed and fall short of your goal.

Boss
07-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Don't post much but I gotta weigh in on this. It's funny how short term memory most fans on here have. All season Manu said he was going to test free agency and a lot of people wanted to trade him. we all know what happened next. It's a negotiation tactic.
Parker is just doing the same thing. Parker's stance after the season was he wanted to start talking to the Spurs about an extension in Oct. If he continued that stance he would lose his leverage for a bigger contract.

Once again in the moment spurs fans want TP traded after a down year much like Manu after his down year last season. Also the thought that you can get awesome value in return for Tony is stupid too, since he had a bad year teams aren't going to over pay for a possible 1 yr rental. Their thinking is to see if they can get a steal.

Lets hope TP is healthy and back to his 2009 form instead of hoping to have a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

ElNono
07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm unconcerned about Parker. I think there would need to be a completely lopsided deal for the Spurs to trade him. If RJ leaves and we don't get to spend the money (ie: through a S&T), I expect the Spurs to offer an extension that Tony will eventually take as soon as more details of the upcoming CBA become public.

What I'm really undecided about is wether we should offer the entire MLE to Splitter or Mason Jr...

Blackjack
07-06-2010, 05:14 PM
What I'm really undecided about is wether we should offer the entire MLE to Splitter or Mason Jr...

And this has been the reason for my three-week insomnia binge . . .

Brazil
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
another TP trade.... oh god....

lebroun make up your mind quick, then everybody will be able to finish this damn long FA period so that you can talk future line-ups, summer league, world championship... instead of trying elaborate TP for a TE or toney douglas BS

Blackjack
07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
LeBron will be in Cleveland.

Wade and Boozer will be in Miami.

That's all for my fearless predictions today. :downspin:

coyotes_geek
07-06-2010, 05:45 PM
So why is those 2 trades should be done sepeartely? If Abbott was thinking as you said he would write the following one.

In a 3 team deal we send Parker to New York, they send trade exception to Toronto and Toronto sends Bosh to us.

Mr Absurd was not thinking Bosh in San Antonio while he was writing this scenerio. His whole wish is to see Parker in New York and he's dreaming.

Abbott was only thinking that the Spurs could trade Tony away in a lopsided deal and then use the resulting trade exception to even things out by acquiring a very good player. And he's absolutely correct about that. They could. They could trade Tony to New York today and then start looking to get some big name free agent in a separate transaction sometime over the next 12 months.

My point is that it's too risky to the Spurs to do it that way. If they're going to give away Tony they need to already have something worked out so that they know specifically who they're going to get with that TE. At that point whether the Spurs make one 3-team trade or two separate 2-team trades just depends on the specifics of the deal(s). Sometimes there are cap benefits to be realized by structuring things as two deals instead of one, or visa versa.

Budkin
07-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Trading Tony Parker to the Knicks would be an awful move.

TeKu
07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I see the comparisons to Manu's contract situation and, while no doubt some of this is posturing on TP's agents part, there are a few differences:

1. Age. Tony at 28 will want (and should expect) a long term deal (5years+) Manu's age meant a 3 year commitment was a lot more reasonable to both parties.

2. CBA/Lockout. Whatever happens here the landscape is looking to be significantly changed (worse from players view, better from owners).

Given those 2 factors the Front Office risk associated to Manu's contract is much less (2yrs, 1yr if lockout) than the risk on any TP extension (5years +). Plus the incentive for TP to get an extension now is that much greater than it was with Manu, if he waits till next July that's huge financial risk I don't see him taking.

The Spurs have shown themselves to err on the side of caution with big financial risks. It's not too much of a stretch to think that the Spurs have indicated to TP the likelihood of an extension this year is low and are doing the right thing by him to get him to a team that will extend him (NY makes sense here).

All depends on the new CBA, but that risk to SA/incentive to TP could be as much as $40-$50m?? (lower max, shorter years, less guaranteed $$$'s). So while it makes no sense at all from a bball viewpoint the $$$'s for each side would point to all this smoke having some substance.

For a straight TE makes no sense though, but a 3way for a SF could be viable.

CaptainLate
07-06-2010, 06:21 PM
And believe me, the Spurs are not going to give away Tony Parker, or go after an undrafted second year player to fill his void.

In January, when NY is still a lottery team, they'll trade him then or to someone for something better. Come 2011, we don't want to be what the Phoenix Suns ended up this year -- i.e., not getting a damn thing for Amare.

yavozerb
07-06-2010, 06:23 PM
In January, when NY is still a lottery team, they'll trade him then or to someone for something better. Come 2011, we don't want to be what the Phoenix Suns ended up this year -- i.e., not getting a damn thing for Amare.

or demanding a trade i.e. like Nash...:lol

ElNono
07-06-2010, 06:27 PM
1. Age. Tony at 28 will want (and should expect) a long term deal (5years+) Manu's age meant a 3 year commitment was a lot more reasonable to both parties.

The Spurs offered Manu the max they could possibly offer him under the current rules. It had nothing to do with with some calculated move.
They simply couldn't have offered any more years or money if they wanted to, IIRC.

CaptainLate
07-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, let's trade away the heart of our system and the engine that makes the Spurs machine go, and hope we can get somebody half as talented, not to mention as familiar, as Parker back in S&T or trade exceptions.

If they plan to rest Duncan and Ginobili next season, Parker is the one leg the Spurs have to stand on.

George Hill is not ready to run this team, and may never be.

Per the coaching staff, Hill did a good enough job to have Tony coming off the bench at the end of the season and during the Mavs series. I'd say Hill did better in his 2nd year the TP did in his. And we don't need a PG who has to have the ball in his hands as much as TP does. Frankly, I look forward to having TP gone, if not by the end of this month, then come trade deadline in 2011.

Josepatches_
07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
If the Spurs traded Parker, which I hope they don't.. They won't come close to winning anything in the next 5 years.

It seems Tony could sign elsewhere next summer so he couldn't be here next 5 years anyway.

To me with or without TP we aren't close to win next year.So there is no reason to not trade him if we can get good players for the future.

TeKu
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
The Spurs offered Manu the max they could possibly offer him under the current rules. It had nothing to do with with some calculated move.
They simply couldn't have offered any more years or money if they wanted to, IIRC.

Fair point, wasn't trying to make it look calculated just that contract length wasn't really a concern with Manu, it is with any TP extension.

ElNono
07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Fair point, wasn't trying to make it look calculated just that contract length wasn't really a concern with Manu, it is with any TP extension.

Agreed. And it's important not just for the Spurs, but for Tony too. The next CBA might not allow for as many years of guaranteed money.

Pauleta14
07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
In the worst case scenario, if Tony wants to leave next year, there still can be a sign and trade and I can't imagine Tony refusing...

ps/ I still think he's going to sign an extention.

DPG21920
07-06-2010, 07:28 PM
A lot will depend on FA and how the team comes together. I can see TP traded, but when the Spurs signed Manu, to me that signaled TP was in the plans for the future.

mando6599
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM

timvp, I've never really felt that TP was the engine that runs this thing. To be honest, he's never seemed really sincere in his words, whether it be in interviews, practices, whatever. He seems humble, but I think I would absolutely hate him if he weren't a Spur. Yes, his lifestyle does bother me in terms of glam and glitz. I can't really pinpoint in words what exactly I'm trying to say, but in recent history our most favorite and beloved Spurs have been some of the most down-to-earth, kind, and class acts. Robinson, of course. Duncan. Manu. Bowen. I just don't see Parker as someone like these guys, on or off the court.

Plus, he's not really a prototypical PG, but more off-guard. He's never one to have the best court vision, good, but not Nash-like(sorry, had to). That tends to make him a more self-utilized shooter looking for his own shot in the half-court.

Brazil
07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
He seems humble, but I think I would absolutely hate him if he weren't a Spur. Yes, his lifestyle does bother me in terms of glam and glitz. I can't really pinpoint in words what exactly I'm trying to say, but in recent history our most favorite and beloved Spurs have been some of the most down-to-earth, kind, and class acts. Robinson, of course. Duncan. Manu. Bowen. I just don't see Parker as someone like these guys, on or off the court.

Plus, he's not really a prototypical PG, but more off-guard. He's never one to have the best court vision, good, but not Nash-like(sorry, had to). That tends to make him a more self-utilized shooter looking for his own shot in the half-court.

the I hate parker but I don't know why club has a new member :toast

I guess this is the same thing about the french, people don't like french but don't know exactly why... maybe the smell or that je ne sais quoi

funny

ElNono
07-06-2010, 08:52 PM

I guess this is the same thing about the french, people don't like french but don't know exactly why... maybe the smell or that je ne sais quoi

funny

Maybe it's Domenech... :lol

alchemist
07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
BTW did Parker really say he wouldn't sign an extension? That's a huge difference from Ginobili.

Vic Petro
07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Some of these Tony Parker trade ideas are starting to scare the shit out of me. No offense to Phila, who was proactive and helped us kill at least one day with discussion over his trade scenarios, but when I start seeing Parker and Smith being debated as equals I start to get antsy.

I have been adamant about seeing what Tony is worth around the league. However, if trading him now doesn't bring back a #1 option, you don't do it. If RC just remains patient and can find a way to send Jefferson to NJ for a TE, the team will be much improved next year. Splitter, Anderson, a healthy Tony, TE (Morrow/Matthews/Korver), LLE, Hill/Blair/Gee/Temple one year more experienced. That's pretty good, considering that in the West the only real teams to fear are the Lakers and OKC.

ohmwrecker
07-06-2010, 09:33 PM

funny

The French have a directness in their speech that can be (and sometimes deservedly so) interpreted as arrogance. That is why when Tony says something similar to what Manu said last year before his extension, people get pissed off and make a lot of assumptions.
The difference is how they chose their words and the way they deliver the message. Manu came off as respectful and a little sad about his possible departure. Whereas, Tony sounds like he's saying, "Fuck you, Spurs! Thanks for the championships. I'm outta here!"
Of course, they are two very different people, personality wise. The part that I find most interesting is how these two players seem to polarize the fanbase. It's really fascinating.

barbacoataco
07-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I was against trading Parker but I do see some of the reasons why the Spurs might consider it. The problem with Hill is that as a PG he really is not good enough at ball distribution and play making. But the Spurs will have Ginobili who is kind of a de facto PG anyway. If parker is not going to stay in S.A. long term then the Spurs should look at a trade ONLY if they get a player of equal value in a spot they need.

jag
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM

This is something that has never made sense to me. No matter what he's done it's never been good enough for spurs fan.

jag
07-06-2010, 10:07 PM
To be honest, he's never seemed really sincere in his words, whether it be in interviews, practices, whatever. He seems humble, but I think I would absolutely hate him if he weren't a Spur. Yes, his lifestyle does bother me in terms of glam and glitz.

The "Tony was wrong for marrying an actress/Tony's too Hollywood" Crew and the "Youth Movement" Crew are becoming caricatures of themselves.

jimo2305
07-06-2010, 11:22 PM

my whole deal about parker is.. i know he's great and all.. and i have no qualms about keeping him and building around him and what not..

BUT

he's our best trade bait right now.. especially if we can get a player and/or pick of his caliber..

the nba is a business.. and you can't just sit around and do nothing because you like this person or that person.. it's not nba 2k10.. it's real life..

parker is a great player and he's been great for the spurs.. but he's not on duncan's or robinson's level.. the players at that level are on a "don't trade this player no matter what" status.. to me.. parker isn't.. the whole french thing and lacking that jumpshot is what seperates him from the chris pauls and deron williamses and steve nashes.. if parker was as impactful as them.. then i wouldnt be making this post at all..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2010, 11:42 PM

This.

And this.

kaji157
07-06-2010, 11:59 PM
If i were going to trade Parker i would call Houston and ask for Brooks, Battier and Scola to start the talks.

mike20spurs
07-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Trading Parker to the same conference should be out of the question but if the houston deal would work youd have to take out brooks and stock in Ariza

Slippy
07-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Just have to re-iterate . Hill's emergence as a possible replacement for Tony as PG is laughable but a scary thought at the same time.

wut
07-07-2010, 07:46 AM
agreed....trading Parker for anything other than another all-star PG is a bad idea.

tuncaboylu
07-07-2010, 08:00 AM
If i were going to trade Parker i would call Houston and ask for Brooks, Battier and Scola to start the talks.

That wouldbe a good trade fo Spurs but Houston would want Blair and a draft pick to realize this trade.

K-State Spur
07-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Trading for an exemption makes zero sense unless one of two things is true - holt is hemorrhaging money or you already have a deal worked out with where another player(s) would step in and fill that money.

otherwise, the worst case scenario is that you have a top 10 PG for another year, and then you get the equivalent of a trade exemption for the cap next year when his contract comes off the books.

Me thinks this whole article is wishful thinking by Blazer fan.

ohmwrecker
07-07-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.ballineurope.com/us-basketball/nba/new-york-knicks-forget-lebron-james-6868/

tuncaboylu
07-07-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67925/20100707/source_amare_wants_ridnour_in_new_york/

Hahaha. He couldn't land on Parker, now courting for Ridnour.