PDA

View Full Version : Why TP shouldn't be traded????

tbear280
07-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Tim & Manu or only going to be around a couple more years,rebuiling is certainly in motion. Wouldn't the smart thing be to start rebuilding around your youngest and best asset? Tony parker is only 27 and one of the top 5 point gaurds in the league. He has expierince and has shined as a Spur? So he got hurt, everybody gets hurt at some point in their career. Yeah George Hill had a decent year, key word, a year!! Tony has been doing it for 9 years. So Hill plays good for half a season, so lets give him tony's spot. Hill disappered aginst the Suns remember people. He carried them in the Finals against Lebron of all people! Manu's ankles were shot 08' & 09' and Timmy is always hurting his ankles and his knees are shot. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks TP is the piece the Spurs should not get rid of?

spursfaninla
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
in the future, consider contributing to a thread already on the topic, especially when there are twelve just like it.

on the front page.

Anyway, the problems with your take, which I actually already agree with, are:

1) Tony wants the max, we dont' want to give it if we are a bottom dweller after TD leaves and he might not be worth it in that case either.

2) Tony might not want to stay after TD retires if we suck, which we might.

3) Tony is not a piece you can really build around: a great 2nd piece but not a franchise player. Paying him like one, and building around him, is doomed to failure.

4) TP depends on his speed for 90% of his game. He is in his prime at 28-29, but he has 10 years on NBA seasons and playoff games on him. If he gets 5 years, he might not give you the full number of years of production that you pay for when he is 33 or 34 and slow...

that is for starters the opposition position.

plus, in before the lock i reckon.

slick'81
07-06-2010, 06:12 PM
unless its a trade that makes your team better i would hate to trade tony just for financial reasons but thats just me

Cane
07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
in the future, consider contributing to a thread already on the topic, especially when there are twelve just like it.

on the front page.

Anyway, the problems with your take, which I actually already agree with, are:

1) Tony wants the max, we dont' want to give it if we are a bottom dweller after TD leaves and he might not be worth it in that case either.

2) Tony might not want to stay after TD retires if we suck, which we might.

3) Tony is not a piece you can really build around: a great 2nd piece but not a franchise player. Paying him like one, and building around him, is doomed to failure.

4) TP depends on his speed for 90% of his game. He is in his prime at 28-29, but he has 10 years on NBA seasons and playoff games on him. If he gets 5 years, he might not give you the full number of years of production that you pay for when he is 33 or 34 and slow...

that is for starters the opposition position.

plus, in before the lock i reckon.

5) Tony Parker will likely play for France during such a maxxed out contract, potentially lessening his NBA production by risking his health overseas. He routinely sacrifices his body and he'd have to play on a high level for France to be competitive...not a good combination for a guy with his mileage. Manu is similar except his contract is smaller and hopefully his role for Argentina will be as well.

6) Rise of George Hill. He had a breakout season; definitely not as good of a PG as Parker but hard to discount the impressive run the Spurs had with Parker injured or coming off the bench against the Mavs.

:downspin: