PDA

View Full Version : Mavs will not trade Haywood

dallaskd
07-06-2010, 07:22 PM
The Dallas Mavericks are not interested in signing Brendan Haywood to trade him.

A league source said the Mavs remain in contract negotiations to make the unrestricted free agent their starting center next season. However, if the two sides are to come to terms, it probably won't happen until after the top free agents choose their teams.

A report in the Miami Herald on Tuesday, citing one player and a separate agent, said the Miami Heat have broached the Mavs about a possible sign-and-trade involving Haywood for unrestricted free-agent center Jermaine O'Neal and possibly forward Michael Beasley.

The source said the Mavs are not interested in getting involved in a sign-and-trade. Dallas acquired Haywood, a 30-year-old, nine-year veteran, in February along with Caron Butler for Josh Howard. Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson has called re-signing Haywood a top priority after re-signing Dirk Nowitzki.

Haywood met with Miami president Pat Riley over the weekend at his home in North Carolina. If the Heat re-sign Wade and add power forward Chris Bosh, joining such a tandem could be enticing for Haywood. Other Eastern Conference teams such as New York, Chicago, Boston and Cleveland have also expressed interest in Haywood.

If teams with cap space such as Miami, New York or Chicago make Haywood an offer that the Mavs deem too rich, they could reconsider the possibility of a sign-and-trade in order to avoid losing the 7-foot Haywood for nothing.

Haywood made $6 million last season. He could be in line for an annual salary of $8 million to $10 million.

O'Neal, 31, is an unrestricted free agent who played for Mavs coach Rick Carlisle at Indiana. The 6-11, 14-year veteran could also draw interest from the Mavs with all or part of their mid-level exception.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5359252

Amarelooms
07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Cuban better be joking here as to not try and hurt the little girl's feelings. If you can get some good players in return you trade his ass without thinking twice about it

:elephant

redzero
07-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Would they trade him for Okafor?

Amarelooms
07-06-2010, 07:29 PM

I got a deal for you dummy:

CP3 + Okafor

For Damp/Dust chip (save your ass 12 million) + Haywood + (Butler or Terry) and a draft pick.

Let's get it done son

:elephant

Zelophehad
07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I hope the Mavs don't bring back Dampier. Haywood plays his best without competition and mindgames from coaches.

dallaskd
07-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I hope the Mavs don't bring back Dampier. Haywood plays his best without competition and mindgames from coaches.

Damp will be traded and released by his new team. Mavs probably then resign him for the vet minimum and backup C. IMO Dampier is not a bad center if he is under contract for what he is worth.

Zelophehad
07-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Damp will be traded and released by his new team. Mavs probably then resign him for the vet minimum and backup C. .

That's what I meant. Between Haywood's blood feud with Etan Thomas in Washington and his grumbling about coming off the bench last year, I don't think competition for playing time is something that he deals well with. He was playing his best ball with Washington last year when he didn't have to look over his shoulder.

IMO Dampier is not a bad center if he is under contract for what he is worth.

True, true. Just Haywood plays better when he doesn't have competition, of course his play in Washington last year may have just been a contract push.

monosylab1k
07-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Are the Hornets down on Okafor? I do that trade in a nanosecond.

BUMP
07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
*sigh* :depressed

Can we get that Donnie Nelson troll in here?

MiamiHeat
07-06-2010, 07:51 PM
time for a bidding war

MavDynasty
07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
i miss the jho troll

Greg Oden
07-06-2010, 09:55 PM
http://www.birdsale.com.au/crickets.jpg

Borat Sagyidev
07-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Haywood 2011 NBA MVP