PDA

View Full Version : Heat signs Laettner to help Shaq down low

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Heat signs Laettner to help Shaq down low

BY IRA WINDERMAN

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

(KRT) - Proximity as much as the possibilities proved decisive with Christian Laettner's decision to sign Wednesday with the Heat as a free agent.

While stressing that the opportunity to play alongside Shaquille O'Neal made the Heat attractive, the former All-Star power forward said his goal the past year had to been to play closer to his Ponte Vedra home.

"I started looking at the Heat probably last year when I moved down to Florida," he said of relocating to the Jacksonville suburb. "That's where my family stayed last year while I was with the Wizards. I just said to myself I want to play a few more years and I want to be around my family and I want to be on a good team.

"I called my agent and I said, `You've got to get me somewhere in Florida,' and there's only two teams. Right away my agent said Orlando might be tough, and I said, `Let's do the Miami thing.' This was even before Shaq got on the team."

With center Brian Grant and power forward Lamar Odom lost to the Lakers in the July trade that delivered O'Neal to South Florida, the match made sense for both Laettner and the power-starved Heat. Laettner's deal will have minimal impact on the Heat's payroll, with the NBA picking up about half of his $1.1 million contract under the league's minimum-salary program. At 35, the 6-foot-11 former Olympian has been somewhat limited by injuries in recent seasons. But he said he still considers himself a starting option, with Malik Allen and Udonis Haslem the only other likely contenders on the roster at power forward.

"I think I definitely have starter's minutes in my legs and in my back," he said. "I feel good when I'm out on the court. I still love the game."

Laettner said no assurances have been given about his role or playing time. "I know they like me," he said. "They consider me a pretty good player. That's all I need to hear."

As for playing alongside O'Neal, Laettner said all you'll be hearing is appreciation.

"He makes it easier on everyone he plays with. That's why I'm always surprised there were little problems on the Lakers," he said.

Dealt in June from the Wizards to the Mavericks, and then forwarded to the Warriors before being waived last month, Laettner said he never anticipated playing at Dallas or Golden State.

"I was already in Dallas. They didn't use me. They didn't like me then, why would they like me now?" :lol he said. "Golden State? I really didn't want to be out there."

Spurminator
09-16-2004, 12:26 AM
They're going to get along great.

Tommy Duncan
09-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Heat signs Laettner to help Shaq down low

Ok, I need an alcoholic beverage to drink away that mental image.