PDA

View Full Version : Crucify em, Wojnajsjhroski

badfish22
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
State of LeBron: Live at 9, from his ego

The Championship of Me comes crashing into a primetime cable infomercial that LeBron James(notes) and his cronies have been working to make happen for months, a slow, cynical churning of manufactured drama that sports has never witnessed. As historic monuments go, this is the Rushmore of basketball hubris and narcissism. The vacuous star for our vacuous times. All about ‘Bron and all about nothing.

James is throwing a few foosball tables at Boys & Girls Clubs, an empty gesture out of the empty superstar. He’s turned free agency into the title of our times, a preening pageant of fawning, begging and pleading. Hard-working people are dragged into municipalities and told to hold signs, chant scripted slogans and beg a diva who doesn’t care about them to accept a $100 million contract.

Privately, Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) weren’t pleased on Wednesday morning with the belief that James’ camp was responsible for leaking their plans to a television partner, but then again it makes perfect sense: This isn’t about Wade and Bosh choosing the Heat. It’s about LeBron getting the stage to himself on Thursday night.

One front-office executive whose team made a presentation to LeBron James told Yahoo! Sports that he believes James is choosing between Miami and Cleveland. And yet, if James wants to deliver the biggest kick in the gut to his hometown, he’ll pick the flat-lined New York Knicks. Whatever the decision, he’s made clear that the teasing and tormenting of the loser isn’t his concern.

Team LeBron is having the time of its life, but has no idea the repercussions of what it’s done here. All that comes to James now is the biggest burden to win a championship that sports has ever seen. They aren’t making James a bigger star with this big-top, but a bigger target. All those teams that marched into the presentations and listened to some of the foolish and naiuml;ve questions asked of them believed these kids had no idea what they were doing, or what they had gotten themselves into. They’re all feeling more validated every day. From beginning to end, this process has been a farce.

On James’ new website, under the headline dubbing this TV debacle “The Decision,” there come these words: “Maverick Carter, CEO of LRMR Marketing said…” This explains everything. Carter’s marketing company isn’t doing so well trying to get its one client Jonny Flynn(notes) a used-car dealership endorsement in the Twin Cities, and now Carter’s going to try to justify all that plush office space, staff attorneys, private planes and resort hotels by translating the Championship of Me into the making of his reputation.

Carter’s pushed one agent – Aaron Goodwin – and one advisor – William Wesley – aside because he wanted to be the voice in James’ ear and the one getting credit on the masthead. So far, Carter’s been a superstar at spending James’ money on LRMR, but now he’s getting the company name out there and turning LeBron into Mr. July after LeBron didn’t have the stomach to be Mr. June.

Team LeBron had discussed a documentary on the free-agent process, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported, but the narrative changed after James’ Game 5 meltdown in the Eastern Conference semifinals. Carter says there was never a plan for a free-agent tour, but this is what he means: There was never a plan for James to get held accountable, to have his motivations and priorities called into doubt. There was never a plan for the blame to shift from Danny Ferry, Mike Brown and his Cavaliers teammates. There was never a plan that real-world rules applied to the self-proclaimed King.

They scrapped the tour, the documentary and set sights on hijacking the network for an unprecedented special they believe will elevate James’ brand. Only, James has never looked smaller, never more insecure and unsure of who he is and what he wants to be. He won’t look so much like Kobe Bryant(notes) and David Beckham, but rather a three-star linebacker from Shaker Heights picking Bowling Green over Kent and Ohio U. on local access television.

Team LeBron has known all along it was going to do this, and the cushy, protective relationship with that television network culminates with a basketball player commandeering his own coverage on his own terms. Now James and his buddies spoon out misdirection plays on his possible destination – feeding everyone for days and weeks that the Knicks were dead, only to say now, “Well…who knows?” – to build back drama for the infomercial.

This is some plan they’ve hatched and some game they’re playing with those Cleveland fans who’ve been so relentlessly loyal to James. First, he marched the biggest suitors in the sport to come court him in downtown Cleveland with those pointless presentations. He wanted those people out there creating a visual public push-and-pull for him, and because James needed to be told something that probably isn’t completely true anymore: Cleveland loves him.

Well, Cleveland craves him. Love is a strong word, and it ought to be unconditional, but loving a sports hero is the most conditional kind of love there is. Only, it was different with Cleveland. He’s one of them, but you still have to wonder: Are they one of him?

James never shared that town’s angst with the Browns and Indians. He wanted winners in his life, and rooted for the Dallas Cowboys and New York Yankees. He doesn’t feel the pain of a city’s broken heart. Shaquille O’Neal(notes) leaving the Orlando Magic for the Los Angeles Lakers 14 years ago was a hard hit, but LeBron bailing on Cleveland is far more devastating on a different level.

Everyone ridicules Cleveland, makes it a butt of jokes, but LeBron James has the chance to change all of that. And even then, it has to crush Cleveland’s sporting psyche that James could still walk out. If one of our own won’t stay, what does that say to the rest of the country?

That’s the hardest part here, and that makes the possibility that James would go on national television – with those split-screen shots of stunned fans in Akron and Cleveland – and completely crush those people so impossible to believe. He couldn’t be that cold, that callous, that cunning? Or perhaps, maybe this is all a rollout – the website, the Twitter page and the infomercial – to introduce a new LeBron, a new city, to the world.

Whatever happens, James and the television network will hide behind some money going to the Boys & Girls Clubs. But this isn’t about kids and sports, and it sure isn’t about the credibility that comes with winning championships. Something’s changed here, and LeBron James has gone a long way to devaluing winning and losing in the NBA. David Stern has long pushed the individual over team, marketed showy over substance, and LeBron James represents the manifestation of it all.

Greatest talent to ever walk into this league, the self-proclaimed King, and now everyone gets a front-row, primetime seat for how it means to live without self-awareness, without restraint. The vacuous star for our vacuous times, live on Thursday night and fitting himself for a ring as the undisputed Championship of Me. All about ‘Bron and all about nothing.

benefactor
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Send that King to the tree of woe!

Medvedenko
07-07-2010, 02:59 PM
King Nothing.....

Still, would like to see him in NYK or Miami.....

Amarelooms
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
King Nothing.....

Still, would like to see him in NYK or Miami.....

Great Metallica song son

:elephant

milkshakeballa
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
damn good read. hammer meet nail

Fpoonsie
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
...but now he’s getting the company name out there and turning LeBron into Mr. July after LeBron didn’t have the stomach to be Mr. June.

:wow

Ouch.

Zelophehad
07-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Wojnaroski has been hating on Lebron all off season.

Killakobe81
07-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Wow some great points ...but it seemed a bit too heavy ...

Like there was an axe to grind.

I have no problem with anyone calling out Kobe, LBJ for their faults or even MJ himself ...if they deserve it.

I do think LBJ should stay with Cavs ...but not due to fear of the new BIG 3 ... I just think Cleveland has been screwed over way too many times I watched the shot, the fumble and the Drive. The worldseries loss to the hardluck Braves ...

This might destroy Cleveland ...

InRareForm
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
i like it

InRareForm
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM

as he should

LnGrrrR
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Lebron's been a real prick. He knows how much Cleveland will lose if he leaves them, but does he even give a token concession to them? Nope. Just lets them hang and giggles about it. What a dick.

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 03:29 PM
great article.

Marklar MM
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Right on all points.

Dex
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/d8f/db6/d8fdb623-c3ef-41ea-ab42-cb6105a1b0bf

ffadicted
07-07-2010, 03:39 PM

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

TD=HOF
07-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Can't put it any better, this is ridiculous. All this for a player who is yet to win a single Finals game?

Spurs Brazil
07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Great read and fuck LBJ

bostonguy
07-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Lebron's been a real prick. He knows how much Cleveland will lose if he leaves them, but does he even give a token concession to them? Nope. Just lets them hang and giggles about it. What a dick.

As fellow poster Joetait75 said before, if the Browns ever get it together (which could happen given Holmgren getting to put that team together and it being the NFL), that city will forget about Lebron. They are a football first type of town. If they were to win the superbowl, everything else becomes moot.

redzero
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
tl;dr

Goran Dragic
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
lol now badfish hates Lebron because he never considered Dallas and I was right?

badfish22
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
crucify em, Goran. Send that flipflopping ass directly to the tree of woe!

badfish22
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
but tbh I never said I hated Lebron

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2010, 04:20 PM
LOL @ this geeky looking ugly man hating on the King..

monosylab1k
07-07-2010, 04:30 PM

I think it's pretty clear Wojnarowski was getting all his info from World Wide Wes. As WWW has been slowly getting pushed out of the LeBron camp, Woj's stories have been increasingly more critical of LeBron, and alot more critical of Dallas Carter.

redzero
07-07-2010, 04:34 PM
I think it's pretty clear Wojnarowski was getting all his info from World Wide Wes. As WWW has been slowly getting pushed out of the LeBron camp, Woj's stories have been increasingly more critical of LeBron, and alot more critical of Dallas Carter.

Wojnarowski wrote a scathing piece about LeBron after the 2009 ECF. I just think he just doesn't like LeBron.

monosylab1k
07-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Wojnarowski wrote a scathing piece about LeBron after the 2009 ECF. I just think he just doesn't like LeBron.

Maybe so, but it seems like in this free agency period, Woj had all kinds of info on the World Wide Wes side of the LeBron story. Then as Dallas Carter pushed Wes out, suddenly all of Woj's stories turned into constant bitching about LeBron and his immature rat pack.

Koolaid_Man
07-07-2010, 08:44 PM

finally showing your ugly face egh? you got a long year ahead of you...knowing that we got in that ass...all year long...:lol

SenorSpur
07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I just think WoJo is simply calling James out for a lot of the self-aggrandizing, egomanical, behavior this guy has displayed recently. Remember, he's watched him from the time he landed in the NBA, as a rookie, until now. He's seen this elephant grow and grow from a baby, to the point where now it's eating everything in its path.

To read all the "kiss up" articles from NBA columnists and to hear all the "sucking up" from NBA TV analysts (ESPN), it's refreshing to see someone finally call the King out. After all, it's not like the guy is lying.

eyeh8u
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Woj is only doing God's work

InRareForm
07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
LOL @ this geeky looking ugly man hating on the King..

geek makes more money than your broke ass! :rollin:rollin

Stump
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
A refreshing change of pace. One of the better articles I've read lately.

leemajors
07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
This seems like as good a place as any to post this. I don't necessarily agree, but it's got a certain charm to it:

http://deadspin.com/5581889/lebron-james-is-a-cocksucker

Zelophehad
07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Maybe so, but it seems like in this free agency period, Woj had all kinds of info on the World Wide Wes side of the LeBron story. Then as Dallas Carter pushed Wes out, suddenly all of Woj's stories turned into constant bitching about LeBron and his immature rat pack.

Even in the piece where he said that Wes was reportedly telling people "We're (Wes and Lebron) going to Chicago and Bosh is coming with us too" I remember Wojnaroski sliding in a bunch digs at Lebron. I think he just hates him.

Smooth Criminal
07-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Send that King to the tree of woe!
Can you explain why that is so heavily used?
I assume something to do with Culburn...?

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2010, 12:03 AM
geek makes more money than your broke ass! :rollin:rollin

I actually disagree, TBH..

I doubt he makes too much..

Sisk
07-08-2010, 12:20 AM
I actually disagree, TBH..

I doubt he makes too much..

Regardless - WGAF what he looks like. If you view sports writers like this first of all, why read their material? Second of all, who's suppose to write about sports, athletes? I'd love to see the articles they'd write up about each other...

LeBron is the most narcissistic motherfucker on the planet right now and it's getting pathetic and ridiculous.

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't read his articles..I rarely read any sports writer's articles TBH..

I wrote that about Wojo, because this article comes off as extremely butthurt and jealous of Lebron..pure, unwarranted hate..I also said that, because he is, in fact, ugly..

SomeCallMeTim
07-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Can you explain why that is so heavily used?
I assume something to do with Culburn...?

ISTR it's a quote from Conan the Barbarian.

Now a ST meme, courtesy of Culburn, of course.

Have to admit it does have anice ring to it. :lol

Kamnik
07-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Great article!

Why do you people think Bosh picked Wade over James? Because James is a punk with a hyper inflated ego. All stars have some ego, but LeMe's is in a league of his own.

After reading this article I feel sorry for Ohio people if he leaves... it will be devastating.

Giuseppe
07-08-2010, 04:56 AM
ISTR it's a quote from Conan the Barbarian.

Now a ST meme, courtesy of Culburn, of course.

Have to admit it does have anice ring to it. :lol

It was on the cable late last night. James Earl Jones states the line/not verbatim: "let him ponder this upon the tree of woe.....crucify him."

Cry Havoc
07-08-2010, 09:20 AM
I love how openly the media is ridiculing James even as ESPN themselves set up a program dedicated to his free agency tonight.

Don't be fooled: Every painstaking word they use to ridicule him is mixed in with the greedy wringing of hands as gleefully ponder over how much money he is making them. The sports writers and analysts love this, even as they lie to your face and tell you how despicable he is for this spectacle.

Giuseppe
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I love how openly the media is ridiculing James even as ESPN themselves set up a program dedicated to his free agency tonight.

Don't be fooled: Every painstaking word they use to ridicule him is mixed in with the greedy wringing of hands as gleefully wring their hands over how much money he is making them. The sports writers and analysts love this, even as they lie to your face and tell you how despicable he is for this spectacle.

It was during my initial foray here that Cry lodged something cogent.

He's now trumped that with the absolute goods lodged above.

Bully, Cry, bully for you.

Cry Havoc
07-08-2010, 09:53 AM
It was during my initial foray here that Cry lodged something cogent.

He's now trumped that with the absolute goods lodged above.

Bully, Cry, bully for you.

http://images.theknot.com/PWPimages/8900894233304777/wysiwyg/images/not_sure_srs.jpg

Giuseppe
07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Of course I'm serious.

Your lodgment is dead on accurate. If anything I'm jealous that I didn't think of & lodge it first.

You done good, Cry.

Shank
07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I just think WoJo is simply calling James out for a lot of the self-aggrandizing, egomanical, behavior this guy has displayed recently. Remember, he's watched him from the time he landed in the NBA, as a rookie, until now. He's seen this elephant grow and grow from a baby, to the point where now it's eating everything in its path.

To read all the "kiss up" articles from NBA columnists and to hear all the "sucking up" from NBA TV analysts (ESPN), it's refreshing to see someone finally call the King out. After all, it's not like the guy is lying.

Agreed.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Ouch.

:tu :rollin
I was getting ready to quote that piece until I saw your post. Major burn.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2010, 10:05 AM
This seems like as good a place as any to post this. I don't necessarily agree, but it's got a certain charm to it:

http://deadspin.com/5581889/lebron-james-is-a-cocksucker

:lmao :lmao :lmao

rjv
07-08-2010, 10:14 AM
there is the love for a player like manu, an excellent player, proven winner and solid role model and then there is the dysfunctional relationship between a fan and lebron, an amazing athlete who has won nothing and makes narcissus seem humble.

the king has been on the biggest ego trip this side of lindsey lohan since he was in high school, and his act has been old since then as far as i am concerned.

i for one will not watch this debacle tonight but i will, of course, have to pay attention to his decision as this will be the last domino to fall before the rest of the NBA teams can begin to move ahead with their own transactions.

nice to see the king will not hold the league hostage much longer.

LkrFan
11-02-2010, 08:08 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao
:toast

Indazone
11-02-2010, 11:16 AM
haha Lebron just laid a big fat smelly Cleveland Steamer on the city.

Giuseppe
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Kinda like TMac did on your precious Houston.