PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 Salary Cap announced: $58 mil

Creation88
07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Officially salary cap number is $58,044,000, up from $57.7 million last season. Tax line rises to $70.3 million, up from $69.9 million

via Stein on Twitter

make your predictions/fittings/etc

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
wow. that's pretty high.

Creation88
07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Spurs currently committed to: $52,606,328

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Almost $2 mil more than expected. Spurs shouldn't have too much trouble staying clear of the lux tax either.

slick'81
07-07-2010, 06:47 PM
yeah seems spurs have some wiggle room now

tdunk21
Spurs currently committed to: $52,606,328

so we are under 6mil under the cap?

Cane
:greedy:greedy:greedy:greedy

Creation88
about $5.4 mil

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
we still get the MLE correct? :lol I thought i read somewhere that you only get the MLE if you're over the cap or under the cap by less than what the MLE is.

Das Texan
07-07-2010, 06:49 PM
wtf happened to the cap going down this year?

slick'81
we still get the MLE correct? :lol I thought i read somewhere that you only get the MLE if you're over the cap or under the cap by less than what the MLE is.

wondering same thing

Das Texan

should be under with all the cap holds and especially with dick's salary slot still out there.

spursfaninla
about $5.4 mil

Is that with the salary-holds for our free agents and lack of full roster spots, or are you just adding up the current contracts?

Creation88
07-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Is that with the salary-holds for our free agents and lack of full roster spots, or are you just adding up the current contracts?

current contracts only.

Creation88
07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
outside the Spurs this will reportedly help Lebron join the Heat a bit easier.

Dingle Barry
07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Pretty sure you don't need the MLE if you aren't over the cap/it won't put you over the cap.

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Yes. The Spurs will use their exceptions, not the cap space.

ElNono
Guess the league did pretty good last season... gonna be a hard sell to the union in the upcoming CBA that the league is leaking money...

DesignatedT
Yes. The Spurs will use their exceptions, not the cap space.

K thanks.

TimmehC
07-07-2010, 07:10 PM
MLE is $5.7 million, according to Stein.

Seventyniner
07-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Good question about the holds.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

Robert freaking Horry still has a $7.2M cap hold!! This means that, for the purposes of trades, exception calculations, etc, the Spurs are over the cap.

Dex
07-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Pretty sure you don't need the MLE if you aren't over the cap/it won't put you over the cap.

If teams are under the cap by less than the MLE, they are given the MLE to use instead of their cap space. This rule is put in place to prevent teams that are over the cap having more money to spend than teams that are under the cap.

lurker23
07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
I think this is generally good news for the Spurs. It means they can use the full MLE and/or spend more on a potential SF with less worry about the luxury tax.

benefactor
07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I think this is generally good news for the Spurs. It means they can use the full MLE and/or spend more on a potential SF with less worry about the luxury tax.
I was thinking the same thing. S&T's for a trade exception suddenly become much more intriguing.

lurker23
07-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Exact numbers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5362260

NBA teams found out Wednesday that the salary cap for next season will be nearly $2 million higher than anticipated, providing additional unforeseen cap space to several teams.

The NBA announced a cap of $58 million for the 2010-11 season, when most teams had budgeted a cap of $56.1 million.

The exact salary cap figure, according to league sources, is $58,044,000, up from $57.7 million in the 2009-10 season.

That means teams such as Miami, New York, New Jersey, Chicago and the Los Angeles Clippers have more spending room than anticipated to accommodate free-agent signings.

The luxury-tax line for the coming season will be $70,307,000, up from $69.9 million.

The midlevel exception for next season is $5.765 million.

The cap goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, ending the league's moratorium period and allowing free-agent contracts to be signed.

DMX7
07-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't understand it. What's the penalty for going over the cap (if you don't pay luxury tax until you get to that line)?

ElNono
07-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't understand it. What's the penalty for going over the cap (if you don't pay luxury tax until you get to that line)?

Being unable to sign new free agents? (Except for the exceptions like MLE, LLE, etc)

benefactor
07-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Pretty much. All the cap does is limit the total number a players you can sign to a certain amount without using exceptions.

07-07-2010, 09:52 PM
can the spurs cut temple, hairston, gee, and jerrels to gain some cap space? i would say they make about $3 million combined. could be useful to outbid other teams offering the LLE.

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
can the spurs cut temple, hairston, gee, and jerrels to gain some cap space? i would say they make about $3 million combined. could be useful to outbid other teams offering the LLE.

If we cut them, the Spurs would still have the cap holds for their spots on the rosters factored into the cap - so the only way those players would help gain other FAs is in a trade.

07-07-2010, 10:00 PM
If we cut them, the Spurs would still have the cap holds for their spots on the rosters factored into the cap - so the only way those players would help gain other FAs is in a trade.
i see...

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
SPLITTER = MLE
SHAQ = LLE

jeffy sign n trade...makes alot of sense to me

franceout
07-07-2010, 10:53 PM
can we sign a sf using the cap space (6m) and then sign splitter using the MLE?

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
can we sign a sf using the cap space (6m) and then sign splitter using the MLE?

No. You either get cap space, or you get cap exceptions like the MLE.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
SPLITTER = MLE
SHAQ = LLE

Splitter = MLE minus just enough to sign Richards to a 3 year deal.
Richards = MLE - Splitter
Jefferson = re-sign or S&T for a legit starting caliber SF
James Jones = LLE
Shaq = league min

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 11:03 PM
James Jones has to be a veteran-minimum and if they use the LLE on a Heat forward, it should be Wright.

Are you just putting what exceptions and tools the Spurs will be capable of using for each player or are you saying that Shaq will receive a veteran minimum?

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 11:09 PM
James Jones has to be a veteran-minimum and if they use the LLE on a Heat forward, it should be Wright.

Are you just putting what exceptions and tools the Spurs will be capable of using for each player or are you saying that Shaq will receive a veteran minimum?

I don't see Wright having much trouble at all getting a >LLE offer from someone, or from multiple someones. If he'll come here for LLE, then sweet. Get him instead.

As for Shaq at league minimum, why not? Given his years of service that's still $1.35 mil to him. LLE is "only" $2.08. If Shaq doesn't want to come here over $700k then F' him.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't see Wright having much trouble at all getting a >LLE offer from someone, or from multiple someones. If he'll come here for LLE, then sweet. Get him instead.

It's definitely possible he'll receive a better offer, I was just stating that he's someone you attempt to pull with the LLE and Jones shouldn't be touched for anything other than a veteran minimum or scraps from the MLE -- he's missed a considerable chunk of the last two seasons and no one's sure where his game is really at.

As for Shaq at league minimum, why not? Given his years of service that's still $1.35 mil to him. LLE is "only" $2.08. If Shaq doesn't want to come here over $700k then F' him.

First off, I was asking an honest question as to what you meant.

As for why not? Shaq playing for a veteran minimum is highly unlikely -- he's talking about the MLE with Atlanta.

I personally don't believe Shaq is a good get for the Spurs at this time but I wouldn't be distraught over him signing for the minimum. I just think the odds of it are extremely unlikely.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 11:58 PM
It's definitely possible he'll receive a better offer, I was just stating that he's someone you attempt to pull with the LLE and Jones shouldn't be touched for anything other than a veteran minimum or scraps from the MLE -- he's missed a considerable chunk of the last two seasons and no one's sure where his game is really at.

No doubt Jones comes with baggage. But unless you're talking about some vet in his mid to late 30s I think anyone who you can realistically get for LLE is going to have some kind of baggage. I know Jones has had his injury concerns, but he was also stuck in a pretty bad situation. Minutes for a SG-SF on the Miami Heat were pretty hard to come by with Wade getting about 40 minutes at SG, #2 draft pick Beasley needing to get some minutes at SF so that he could be on the court at the same time as Haslem and ONeal, plus guys like Quentin Richardson and Dorrell Wright being better players.

I'm all for getting the best player possible for the LLE, so if the Spurs can get someone far better than Jones with it I'm 100% in favor of that. But given the money being thrown around right now I just don't see the LLE being able to get all that much.

First off, I was asking an honest question as to what you meant.

I know you were. I meant to give honest answers. Apologies if you interpreted something different.

As for why not? Shaq playing for a veteran minimum is highly unlikely -- he's talking about the MLE with Atlanta.

I personally don't believe Shaq is a good get for the Spurs at this time but I wouldn't be distraught over him signing for the minimum. I just think the odds of it are extremely unlikely.

Not trying to be rude here, but if Shaq is in it for the money and someone's throwing an MLE his way then it doesn't really matter whether the Spurs are offering a league min deal or the LLE. Neither offer is going to come anywhere close to what he's looking for. If Shaq is willing to consider the LLE then I don't see why he wouldn't be open to considering league min since there's not that big of a dollar difference between the two for him.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:30 AM
No doubt Jones comes with baggage. But unless you're talking about some vet in his mid to late 30s I think anyone who you can realistically get for LLE is going to have some kind of baggage. I know Jones has had his injury concerns, but he was also stuck in a pretty bad situation. Minutes for a SG-SF on the Miami Heat were pretty hard to come by with Wade getting about 40 minutes at SG, #2 draft pick Beasley needing to get some minutes at SF so that he could be on the court at the same time as Haslem and ONeal, plus guys like Quentin Richardson and Dorrell Wright being better players.

I understand the rationale -- seeing some of these contracts and all -- but the teams that value a guy like Jones are contenders and not a lot of them are going to be willing to spend more than a minimum deal on him with his recent injury history and lack of breakthrough play prior. He's just always looked and seemed a much better player than he's ever really shown consistently and I think he's the type of guy who will be looking for the right opportunity to regain and find his form and would probably come to a team like the Spurs cheap if he knew he had a chance to start.

But I don't think you're crazy for thinking the way you do. I can understand where you're coming from.

I'm all for getting the best player possible for the LLE, so if the Spurs can get someone far better than Jones with it I'm 100% in favor of that. But given the money being thrown around right now I just don't see the LLE being able to get all that much.

The trade exception's really what is needed for them to get that starting-caliber 3, so hopefully the Spurs can find a suitor for an RJ sign-and-trade.

I know you were. I meant to give honest answers. Apologies if you interpreted something different.

It's all good. I just couldn't tell if you took it wrong.

Not trying to be rude here, but if Shaq is in it for the money and someone's throwing an MLE his way then it doesn't really matter whether the Spurs are offering a league min deal or the LLE. Neither offer is going to come anywhere close to what he's looking for. If Shaq is willing to consider the LLE then I don't see why he wouldn't be open to considering league min since there's not that big of a dollar difference between the two for him.

Hey, I'm not for him coming here and you're not going to offend me. But Shaq's got an ego fitting of his frame and even if there's only a difference in semantics -- some verbage or a few dollars here or there -- it matters to him how it's viewed. I think he wants to maintain a certain level of value that doesn't come off as him being some past-his-prime vet looking to grab onto a team for a pittance of the pay and viewed as almost inconsequential to the cause.

If he gets an LLE or MLE he's allowed to save a little face and come off as wanted, I guess is what I'm trying to say. That's the kind of vibe and feel I've picked up from Shaq over the last few years. He knows he's on the way out, he just doesn't want it to look like he's as close to it as he may be.

Bruno
07-08-2010, 03:59 AM
The luxury tax being higher than expected is a good news for the end of bench players with a non-guaranteed contracts. Spurs should be able to carry a 15 players roster without paying the tax.

buttsR4rebounding
07-08-2010, 06:36 AM
SPLITTER = MLE
SHAQ = LLE

I like that plan, but I cant see SHAQ taking lle. Would be a nice rotation up front.

Maybe we can do a sign and trade with Clev RJ for Shaq, Moon, Gibson ....Moon can shoot the 3 and is a very good long defender at the 3, Gibson gives us a shooter and Shaq gives us someone who could clog the lanes and give TD a brake from posting up....or hell even a night off.

You know Shaq wants that 5th ring and would love to go through Kobe and Phil to get it!!

That would be one hell of an off season!!!! Maybe if Cleveland is blowing it up because they lose LeBron...

Drachen
07-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Plus depending on who would be offering him the LLE vs our Vet min, it would be even closer due to no state income tax.

Phenomanul
07-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey, I'm not for him coming here and you're not going to offend me. But Shaq's got an ego fitting of his frame and even if there's only a difference in semantics -- some verbage or a few dollars here or there -- it matters to him how it's viewed. I think he wants to maintain a certain level of value that doesn't come off as him being some past-his-prime vet looking to grab onto a team for a pittance of the pay and viewed as almost inconsequential to the cause.

If he gets an LLE or MLE he's allowed to save a little face and come off as wanted, I guess is what I'm trying to say. That's the kind of vibe and feel I've picked up from Shaq over the last few years. He knows he's on the way out, he just doesn't want it to look like he's as close to it as he may be.

That's exactly what I was going to say...

Shaq has an ego that wouldn't allow his name to be thrown around with the likes of a 'minimum' salary....

Mr.Robinson
07-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Shaq as a Spur would be dope. He can still abuse frontlines for 15 mins a game.

outmap
07-08-2010, 08:21 PM
How much is the LLE?

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
$2.08 mil this year.