10 James Gist F 6-9 235 10/26/86 Maryland R
14 Josh Lomers C 7-0 280 11/10/87 Baylor R
18 Eric Dawson F/C 6-9 235 07/07/84 Midwestern State R
27 Tyler Wilkerson F 6-8 240 07/25/88 Marshall R
30 Bryan Davis F 6-9 250 12/31/86 Texas A&M R
31 Gary Neal G 6-4 210 12/31/86 Towson R
35 Alonzo Gee G 6-6 220 05/29/87 Alabama 1
45 DeJuan Blair F 6-7 265 04/22/89 Pittsburgh 1

We know James Anderson has a hamstring injury, but what about Ryan Richards?

What gives?

ElNono
07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
You couldn't have used the other thread?

Spurs Brazil
07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158085

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
:lol

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
He's still under contract to his European team. Until he's released, he can't play for the Spurs without their permission.

Oh...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158085

ceperez
07-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Is he officially out of this contract overseas? Players with overseas contracts can't play in summer league. At least that's what I've been told.

You may be right here. I hope. Wouldn't have liked to hear that he's been waived.

BTW, did the Spurs introduce Richards like they did Anderson?

Bummer, I was really hoping to see some new talent!

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Are we still going off my word for that or has something more official come out?

He was definitely under contract and there has been no news of his release. I assume we'll know if/when he gets his release and is able to sign an NBA contract.

ceperez
07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
He was definitely under contract and there has been no news of his release. I assume we'll know if/when he gets his release and is able to sign an NBA contract.

Now that seems problematic. Will the Spurs sign him without getting a glimpse of him in a real game situation?

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Now that seems problematic. Will the Spurs sign him without getting a glimpse of him in a real game situation?

If he doesn't get his release, that won't be a problem

If he does get his release, the Spurs will be required by the CBA to tender a contract offer for the minimum salary by Sept 6th. That contract does not have to contain any guaranteed money. He would have training camp and the preseason to earn a spot on the Spurs or to be assigned to Austin. If he didn't the Spurs could cut him.

Obviously that is not the way the Spurs would like to do business. They either want him to remain in Europe for a few years or to sign a multiyear contract that will allow him to develop in Austin and then earn his way up to the Spurs. The Mahinmi plan in its original form.

The reason that the Spurs retain the rights to Gist is that he cooperated with the Spurs and didn't accept the tender offer the past two seasons. McClinton didn't want to go overseas, so he accepted the tender offer, the Spurs cut him and he tried to catch with other teams. In the end, he played last season in Turkey and is back this summer as an FA trying to find an NBA job.

angelbelow
07-07-2010, 08:54 PM

I think its a good thing if he doesn't come over this year. Hes got talent but one more year in europe may be more beneficial.

Mel_13
07-07-2010, 09:01 PM
It would be fair to assume that James Gist will have a contract for training camp with guaranteed money because he has been kind enough to cooperate. Plus if the Spurs can get away with running Gist at the 3 with small ball 4 for about 10 minutes a game at least they'll have an athlete on the court.

He's been a good soldier, it would be good to see his hard work pay off.

Rito3d30
07-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Blair will dominant SL
avg 20 15:downspin:

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Gist doesn't actually seem all that far-fetched of a possibility to make the team as their fifth Big. A stretch but not a ridiculous one.

You'd think they'd like to have a different look and skill set for the role -- preferably an athlete or shooter -- and Gist could fit the bill. He's capable of knocking down the spot-up shot and he should be a useful defender for the perimeter fours.

Gist just never did transition to the 3 and become what they hoped, but he could still prove to be useful as an inexpensive, uniquely skilled Big for their group.

Not likely he makes it, but it wouldn't shock me with the way he's played ball with the Spurs by going overseas and if he could just have a solid, productive SL.

objective
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Mahinmi and Hairston did everything the Spurs asked and Pop still kept them on lockdown with prison guards and barbed wire.

I find it hard to believe that Pop would even have Gist activated on any given night. Especially if he sneaked into games and did well, then he'd be pushed further down the inactive list.

ABrooks111
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Josh Lomers...?

:rollin:lol:rollin

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Gist? Why? He was beyond horrible in SL last year, one of the worst performances I've ever seen..he would have had to have made some massive strides in order for him to make an NBA team..

Thompson
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Sweet, Bryan Davis is there. He is a man beast

I really hope he catches on somewhere. Sloan too.

As far as Richards is concerned, isn't he going to have to have some sort of operation on his shoulder? Maybe they should get started so he'll be ready for the D-league if that's what the Spurs offer.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
with james gist playing the 3, cant we just get him to play solid defense and cut to rim for jam or pull up 3pt shooter? not expecting much from the 3...just something similar to bowen and he will have a job...

Birn
07-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I really believe that Bryan Davis will be an NBA player. I'd take him over Gist. Gist is a great athlete but doesn't excel at any one skill at an NBA level. Davis can bang and defend and does all the dirty work. Great hustle player and very high BBall IQ.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Gist? Why? He was beyond horrible in SL last year, one of the worst performances I've ever seen..he would have had to have made some massive strides in order for him to make an NBA team..

If they're going to go for a cheap athletic and/or shooting Big as their fifth option, Gist should have an opportunity to make his case.

Like I said before, I don't find it likely or probable but if he has a good showing and they use him as a four and not a three, he's got an opportunity -- I'm speaking from what I believe the Spurs might do and not my own personal view (which would be to just get the best fifth Big possible -- Mahinmi or otherwise -- because he should see a decent amount of minutes given the age of Tim and 'Dyess).

Darkwaters
07-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Gist doesn't actually seem all that far-fetched of a possibility to make the team as their fifth Big. A stretch but not a ridiculous one.

You'd think they'd like to have a different look and skill set for the role -- preferably an athlete or shooter -- and Gist could fit the bill. He's capable of knocking down the spot-up shot and he should be a useful defender for the perimeter fours.

Gist just never did transition to the 3 and become what they hoped, but he could still prove to be useful as an inexpensive, uniquely skilled Big for their group.

Not likely he makes it, but it wouldn't shock me with the way he's played ball with the Spurs by going overseas and if he could just have a solid, productive SL.

It's incredible to me that three years after the fact the 58th pick is still in the mix. The Spurs definitely know how to grab unrefined talent late and consciously work to develop it. Even when they don't have to give up a roster spot to do it!

Fuck you McClinton...ruining the streak.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:08 AM
It's incredible to me that three years after the fact the 58th pick is still in the mix. The Spurs definitely know how to grab unrefined talent late and consciously work to develop it. Even when they don't have to give up a roster spot to do it!

:lol

I'm still hoping he figures out how to be Eddie House and resurfaces over here eventually. :downspin:

Man, it's hard to understand how people that get paid to scout for a living couldn't see at least a good amount of the potential and player Thornton was. I hadn't watched him until last year's SL and it just boggled my mind how many people passed on the kid -- imagine if the Spurs had gone with Thornton over McClinton . . .

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Didn't a man by the name of George Hill shoot like 10% in SL? Just saying. Different players, different offensive and defensive focuses and James Gist playing the way he wants is different from a league where you try and show case all around talent and occasionally fail. If DeJuan shoots mid range jumpers at a good rate and decent amount of attempts then that doesn't quite mean that he'll be used in pick and pop situations next season.

malik rose was doing pick and pops in his final season with the spurs, he was quite good at it until he decided to become pumpfake master

timvp
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
I hadn't watched him until last year's SL and it just boggled my mind how many people passed on the kid -- imagine if the Spurs had gone with Thornton over McClinton . . .

Thankfully Thornton was already off the board. Otherwise ST would be in danger of Luis Scola type second guessing for the next decade.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM

cause its james gists bitch

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Thankfully Thornton was already off the board. Otherwise ST would be in danger of Luis Scola type second guessing for the next decade.

I had forgotten he went 43 to McClinton's 51, so that makes me feel a little better about it, but it's still pretty comical to see some of the players that went in front of him after how obvious his talent was in SL.

Was there some kind of injury or anything that threw people? (And you're absolutely right about how this would have become Scola Part Deux :lol)

The Truth #6
07-08-2010, 01:11 AM
I'd love to see Gist impress in SL. Him as a SF is probably never going to work. I'd rather see him add some mass and focus on his more natural instincts around the basket. And if he can hit an outside shot even better. He's a long shot to stick, obviously.

rjv
07-08-2010, 09:11 AM
it will be interesting to see how bryan davis does, especially as compared to gist.

Manufan909
07-08-2010, 04:52 PM
For those who see Gist as a stretch big, has he been shooting the 3 well over in Europe the past two years? It might not translate to the NBA 3 though.

And to who said he sucked in SL, iirc it was only because he was trying to look exactly like an SF, which just isn't his game. He better not be nervous this time around, and just go for dunks unless a 3 is just truly the best option.

Manufan909
07-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I'd love to see Gist impress in SL. Him as a SF is probably never going to work. I'd rather see him add some mass and focus on his more natural instincts around the basket. And if he can hit an outside shot even better. He's a long shot to stick, obviously.

Yep, he doesn't need to camp on the 3-pt line like Bonner, but if the other team starts to clog the paint, he needs to be a reliable option. He might not have a choice, since Duncan, Blair and Splitter will be demand priority inside. They could take turns.:hat

Obstructed_View
07-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Yep, he doesn't need to camp on the 3-pt line like Bonner, but if the other team starts to clog the paint, he needs to be a reliable option. He might not have a choice, since Duncan, Blair and Splitter will be demand priority inside. They could take turns.:hat

I wonder if Pop would yell at a guy who stretches the defense by hitting 18-20 footers and demand that he take two steps back and attempt threes.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I wonder if Pop would yell at a guy who stretches the defense by hitting 18-20 footers and demand that he take two steps back and attempt threes.Did he yell at Dice?

Obstructed_View
07-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Did he yell at Dice?
The Spurs had Dice as a young player? Gee, I thought they knew what he was when they went after him.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 07:17 PM
We'll know soon enough what they have in Gee . . .

ChumpDumper
07-08-2010, 09:19 PM
The Spurs had Dice as a young player? Gee, I thought they knew what he was when they went after him.So you are moving the goalposts? Gee.

If he wants a young (your new qualifier) player to take some threes, I figure Pop would say something like "I want you to take some threes."