PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs need Matt Bonner back.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 04:43 AM
The Spurs would not be able to find a player who can shoot 40% from three for the vet minimum. Bonner would be able to do that. He also plays hard and tries on defense. Although he is atrocious at defense, the Spurs should still bring him back. Despite his choke job in the past 2 playoffs, he is still very helpful to the Spurs.

Please, Spurs, give Matt Bonner another chance.

chazley
07-08-2010, 04:47 AM
haha, nice. Comparing a SG to a C though not gonna work.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 04:52 AM
haha, nice. Comparing a SG to a C though not gonna work.

Okay. Tell me a big man who is available for the vet minimum who can shoot 40% from three. Obviously you can't. Bonner can do that.

bigzak25
07-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Need is such a strong word, but no doubt he'd be a nice complimentary piece to have back.

He's just been the scapegoat for the Spurs lack of an interior presence the past couple years.

Him on the wing, with the pressure off...should be a pretty good deal for the Spurs.

chazley
07-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Okay. Tell me a big man who is available for the vet minimum who can shoot 40% from three. Obviously you can't. Bonner can do that.

We need different things from different positions on this team. If you're asking if I'd like to have Bonner back, yeah I would. But you cannot use my RMJ argument against me because we need different things from different positions, plus I want them both back. Bogans will have a one-way ticket out of San Antonio, he was just terrible last year.

tuncaboylu
07-08-2010, 05:43 AM
:lol:lol:lol:lol

chazley
07-08-2010, 05:56 AM
I gotta say though, reading this thread put a big smile on my face.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Tell me a big man who can shoot 40% from three and score 9 points in 25 minutes? Bonner can. Name me another one who can be had for the vet minimum.

chazley
07-08-2010, 06:48 AM
You're right. We need him back. No one is arguing with you.

bigzak25
07-08-2010, 06:50 AM
you do him a disservice by calling him a 'big' though.

yes, he may be 6'10", but his game is more that of a slow, albeit tall, small forward. The Spurs should be able to use him as such this year, especially with the gaping hole at SF as it stands now, and the anticipated beefed up front line with Tiago coming on board.

Bonner down low is not what we want and we should all know that by now.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 06:51 AM
You're right. We need him back. No one is arguing with you.

So? Name one big who can hit 40% from three and score 9 points who is available for the vet minimum then.

TD=HOF
07-08-2010, 06:52 AM
I'm for it if he's limited to 10-15 minutes, if he's getting more than that he turns into a liability.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 06:52 AM
you do him a disservice by calling him a 'big' though.

yes, he may be 6'10", but his game is more that of a slow, albeit tall, small forward. The Spurs should be able to use him as such this year, especially with the gaping hole at SF as it stands now, and the anticipated beefed up front line with Tiago coming on board.

Bonner down low is not what we want and we should all know that by now.

Ya, name me one big who is available for the vet minimum who can shoot 40% from three, then we will talk. I am willing to admit that I am wrong though. You came the closest but you still went down against me.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm for it if he's limited to 10-15 minutes, if he's getting more than that he turns into a liability.

Ya, okay, name me a big who can shoot 40% from three in 25 minutes and produces 9 points for the vet minimum, then we will talk. I am willing to admit I am wrong, but you haven't made a legit statement on why he should only play 10 minutes. Bonner is more reliable than Ryan Richards, so he should be kept by the Spurs.

chazley
07-08-2010, 07:45 AM
lol this is a terrible impersonation If you had left it at the original post, it would've been epic. Most of my responses were 2-3 paragraphs long though, so decent try. Now it's just annoying.

ElNono
07-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Not in the playoffs he can't.

dbestpro
07-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Bonner shooting 40% during the regular season is like Hairston scoring 23 in the D-league except Hairston has not had a chance to prove who he is come crunch time. We already know who Bonner is.

superbigtime
07-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Because the Spurs wouldn't be who they are today without Matt Bonner.

intlspurshk
07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah...SPURS definitely need Bonner to get another 1st pick next year. I believe Bonner would also help SPURS to remain a lottery team for whatever period he signed as a SPURS player as well.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Not in the playoffs he can't.

He shoots 40% in the season. You can't take a small sample size and prove something. Name me another big who can shoot 40% from 3 and score 9 points in 25 minutes for the vet minimum. Obviously you can't.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Bonner shooting 40% during the regular season is like Hairston scoring 23 in the D-league except Hairston has not had a chance to prove who he is come crunch time. We already know who Bonner is.

So what? Bonner can shoot 40% from three. His defense might be atrocious, but it doesn't matter because all he needs to do is to score 9 points in 25 minutes, shooting 40% from three.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah...SPURS definitely need Bonner to get another 1st pick next year. I believe Bonner would also help SPURS to remain a lottery team for whatever period he signed as a SPURS player as well.

This is bullshit. Bonner shoots 40% from three. Name me another big who can do that for the vet minimum.

ElNono
07-08-2010, 08:13 AM
He shoots 40% in the season. You can't take a small sample size and prove something. Name me another big who can shoot 40% from 3 and score 9 points in 25 minutes for the vet minimum. Obviously you can't.

Bonner never averaged 9 points per game. He never averaged 25 mpg either.
And you don't even know he would be willing to be back for the vet min.

/thread

Agloco
07-08-2010, 08:15 AM
The Spurs would not be able to find a player who can shoot 40% from three for the vet minimum. Bonner would be able to do that. He also plays hard and tries on defense. Although he is atrocious at defense, the Spurs should still bring him back. Despite his choke job in the past 2 playoffs, he is still very helpful to the Spurs.

This shows your lack of basic basketball knowledge in one concise, easy to read sentence. Thanks for the laugh. :lol

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:17 AM

/thread

So? The Spurs can sign him above the vet minimum, while other players cannot be. So, name me another big that can shoot 40% from 3, and average 9 points in 25 minutes for the vet minimum.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:18 AM
This shows your lack of basic basketball knowledge in one concise, easy to read sentence. Thanks for the laugh. :lol

I am the best poster on this board. So, name me another big who can shoot 40% from three and score 9 points in 25 minutes and is available for the vet minimum.

tuncaboylu
07-08-2010, 08:20 AM

/thread

He is kidding with Chazley, he is not serious:

Check the similar thread here:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157895

ElNono
07-08-2010, 08:21 AM
He is kidding with Chazley, he is not serious:

Check the similar thread here:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157895

http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Matt Bonner struggled after the broken hand. Once he gets back to form, he will shoot 40% from three once again.

KuntryDude
07-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Matt Bonner struggled after the broken hand. Once he gets back to form, he will shoot 40% from three once again.

Matt Bonner? Fuckin' Matt Bonner? Dude, get serious!

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Matt Bonner? Fuckin' Matt Bonner? Dude, get serious!

Matt Bonner shot 44% from three in the 2008-2009 season and injured his hand in the 2009-2010 season and still shot 39% from three. Name me another big who can do all of that for the vet minimum then we will talk.

KuntryDude
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Matt Bonner shot 44% from three in the 2008-2009 season and injured his hand in the 2009-2010 season and still shot 39% from three. Name me another big who can do all of that for the vet minimum then we will talk.

You do understand that there is more to basketball than what you're proposing right? Or do you? I'm all for resigning him if he's glued to the bench. You can't hit 9-11 pts in 25 mins, and give up 16 on the defensive end. That defeats the purpose dude! So, what's your logic? Ship that fag to Memphis, then we talk mid-season.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
You do understand that there is more to basketball than what you're proposing right? Or do you? I'm all for resigning him if he's glued to the bench. You can't hit 9-11 pts in 25 mins, and give up 16 on the defensive end. That defeats the purpose dude! So, what's your logic? Ship that fag to Memphis, then we talk mid-season.

That wasn't the premise of this thread. Tell me which big is available for the minimum that can hit 40% from three, then we will talk.

angelbelow
07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
That wasn't the premise of this thread. Tell me which big is available for the minimum that can hit 40% from three, then we will talk.

Lebron James

tdunk21
07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
am sure pop will bring him back to spread the floor

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Lebron James

LeBron James is not a big and is not available for the vet minimum. Answer which big who can shoot 40% from three and is available for the vet minimum, then we will talk.

chazley
07-08-2010, 09:09 AM
haha ok this is back to being funny. Shows just how stupid the people on this board can be sometimes. Best part is OJ is actually right.

DrSteffo
07-08-2010, 09:12 AM
:lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Despite his choke job in the past 2 playoffs, he is still very helpful to the Spurs.

Sweet, so we can win the regular season championship with Bonehead... sign me up!

Seriously though, you just destroyed your argument. What team needs a playoff choke on their squad? Phoenix and Dallas didn't even guard him at the three point line, and he still couldn't hit a three that mattered.

Pass.

O.J Mayo
07-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Sweet, so we can win the regular season championship with Bonehead... sign me up!

Seriously though, you just destroyed your argument. What team needs a playoff choke on their squad? Phoenix and Dallas didn't even guard him at the three point line, and he still couldn't hit a three that mattered.

Pass.

Name me one big that can shoot 40% from three and score 9 points in 25 minutes available for the vet minimum, then we will talk.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
O.J Mayo owning fools in here.

The Truth #6
07-08-2010, 09:35 AM
I heard he was awesome in the silver and black scrimmage game. I agree with OJ. Show me a player at that price who with that skill set can consistently dominate in meaningless games. Show me!

E-RockWill
07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
He's just been the scapegoat for the Spurs lack of an interior presence the past couple years.

This.

I thought Rocket actually played some good "D" against Dirk in the 1st round. The whole team got owned in the 2nd. Matt developed some interior offense as well (ex. that nasty looking running hook) over the season which teams really weren't expecting. His 3 wasn't as consistent, but IIRC, when you put more effort in your interior "D", your offense suffers.

I really feel the disappointment some have for last season is be due to Roger Mason, Jr., Keith Bogans, Richard Jefferson & Coach Pop underperforming.

I have a hard time seeing last season as a disappointment. There are definitly things to work on, but far from blowing the whole thing up & starting over.

George Gervin's Afro
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM

the problem is that bonner doesn't hit shit when it matters..

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 10:18 AM
haha ok this is back to being funny. Shows just how stupid the people on this board can be sometimes. Best part is OJ is actually right.

Except for the fact that Bonner doesn't shoot 40% from three when it matters, and thus doesn't mean OJ's criteria.

All this thread shows is that those with less than 500 posts shouldn't be allowed to start a thread.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Name me one big that can shoot 40% from three and score 9 points in 25 minutes available for the vet minimum, then we will talk.

[quote]

Pass.

This isn't hard. When the chips are down in the playoffs:

1. Teams leave him wide open, clog the paint, and bog down our whole offense
2. Even with no one within ten feet of him, he misses the shot
3. He's on the floor to keep #1 from happening, but because #2 happens, he can't.

i.e., he's a sh-tty player and we can do better.

And further, McDyess can hit from far enough outside, at a much more consistent clip on his jumpers, to space the floor. Why does it have to be a three ball?

Splitter has also shown a consistent jumper for Brazil in international play. Further making Bonner an unneeded player. Particularly because he sucks ass when it matters anyway.

tuncaboylu
07-08-2010, 10:53 AM
[quote]

This isn't hard. When the chips are down in the playoffs:

1. Teams leave him wide open, clog the paint, and bog down our whole offense
2. Even with no one within ten feet of him, he misses the shot
3. He's on the floor to keep #1 from happening, but because #2 happens, he can't.

i.e., he's a sh-tty player and we can do better.

And further, McDyess can hit from far enough outside, at a much more consistent clip on his jumpers, to space the floor. Why does it have to be a three ball?

Splitter has also shown a consistent jumper for Brazil in international play. Further making Bonner an unneeded player. Particularly because he sucks ass when it matters anyway.

He is kidding with Chazley

DrSteffo
07-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes this thread started as a parody of the keep Mason thread. The OP is not serious. He doesn't really think he is the number one poster for example (check out the other thread and you will get it).

Funny thing is this thread makes more sense even though it's a parody.

Sigz
07-08-2010, 11:01 AM
fuck bonner.

E-RockWill
07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
All this thread shows is that those with less than 500 posts shouldn't be allowed to start a thread.

Post Count Nazi

Mhak
07-08-2010, 11:26 AM
So what? Bonner can shoot 40% from three. His defense might be atrocious, but it doesn't matter because all he needs to do is to score 9 points in 25 minutes, shooting 40% from three.

Your dumb!!! with all the 9 points he score all game is double in what the other players scoring against him!!! Do the math it doesn't add up...

Bonner = no champoinship!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes this thread started as a parody of the keep Mason thread. The OP is not serious. He doesn't really think he is the number one poster for example (check out the other thread and you will get it).

Funny thing is this thread makes more sense even though it's a parody.

That explains it, thanks. Didn't really feel like clicking into the RJ thread this morning.

Spurologist
07-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I used to think Matt Bonner would be the Dirk-stopper then I realized Dirk on Bonner with his left nut.

Sadly, Matt Bonner looks to be a decent pickup at his point

SpursChampsIII
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe they should see if Lloyd Daniels, Darko Paspaij, and Dwayne Schintzius are still available too.

Duncan2177
07-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Bonner hasn't proved himself in the playoffs and its been 4 years now, The guy is soft on defense, I hope the spurs dont resign him.

easy7
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Get Scola and let Matt go to see if that makes a difference. :hat

angelbelow
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
LeBron James is not a big and is not available for the vet minimum. Answer which big who can shoot 40% from three and is available for the vet minimum, then we will talk.

LeCrab Jams

poop
07-08-2010, 12:50 PM
the spurs would not be able to find a player who can shoot 40% from three for the vet minimum. Bonner would be able to do that. He also plays hard and tries on defense. Although he is atrocious at defense, the spurs should still bring him back. Despite his choke job in the past 2 playoffs, he is still very helpful to the spurs.

Please, spurs, give matt bonner another chance.
die son of a bitch!!!!

easy7
07-08-2010, 01:07 PM
die son of a bitch!!!!

:lmao :lmao :lmao

KuntryDude
07-08-2010, 01:50 PM
die son of a bitch!!!!

:lol

Obstructed_View
07-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Maybe they should see if Lloyd Daniels, Darko Paspaij, and Dwayne Schintzius are still available too.

Zarko.

KaiRMD1
07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
They need to give Bonner the same minutes they gave him during the 07 playoffs

slick'81
07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
best thread ever

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I believe the saying goes: Ya need a Matt Bonner about as much as you need a hole in your head or a foreign object in your butt.

I need 5
07-08-2010, 05:08 PM

We don't need power forwards shooting an abundance of 3 pointers. Tony Parker needs to develop his range more consistently out there. Bonner can't rebound or defend. Anthony Tolliver can shoot the three almost as well as Bonner and he defends and rebounds much better. We don't need that guy....We never did!

E-RockWill
07-08-2010, 05:12 PM
But Rocket needs to feed his family......

underdawg
07-08-2010, 05:23 PM

Scalabrine - 43.7% in the playoffs

Srupsog
07-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I know who can replace Bonner for the Vet min. Tim Thomas. He's 6-10 240, can shoot the 3, and is way more athletic than Bonner, but that's not hard to do. He probably can play better defense than Bonner because he is longer and more athletic if he buys into the spurs' system. He may be 3 years older than Bonner, but that doesn't mean anything because bonner has no upside and isn't athletic. So I say bring in Tim Thomas to replace Bonner he can do more, and doesn't mind sitting some nights to help the team, he proved that this year in Dallas.

Kori Ellis
07-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Stop arguing with an obvious troll.