PDA

View Full Version : Suns to sign-and-trade Amare for $16M trade exception

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Suns will do sign and trade
Phoenix Suns update:

The Suns will use Amar'e Stoudemire's official departure today to make a pair of sign-and-trade deals with New York and Chicago, netting the Suns a $16.5 million trade exception from the Knicks and using part of that for Hakim Warrick's acquisition, according to Stoudemire's agent, Happy Walters.

Walters said the trade exception the Suns are receiving in return for first signing Stoudemire to his five-year, $99.7 million contract with New York is for $16.5 million, equivalent to Stoudemire's first-year salary. That means the Suns will not be getting a player, like free agent David Lee in return.

The Suns could use the trade exception over the next year to acquire a player of less than or close to the exception's value (about $13.5 million after the Warrick deal is done) without having to send any Suns players in a deal.

It was expected that New York would receive a second-round pick in such an arrangement, as well as about $800,000 in extra salary cap space this year by being able to start Stoudemire's contract at a lower first-year salary. By Phoenix signing Stoudemire before trading him, the contract can have 10.5 percent raises to get to the same $99.7 million total as he would have by signing with New York with eight percent raises.

"We really did care about Robert (Sarver) and Alvin (Gentry) and the team and how we could help any way we could," Walters said. "It doesn't give Amar'e any more money. He actually takes a pay cut in the first year of $800,000. It gives them flexibility and hopefully it helps them in the future."

By doing the Stoudemire sign-and-trade first, the Suns then need to use $4 million of that trade exception to acquire Warrick by having Chicago, where he finished last season, sign him to the contract offer he accepted from the Suns last week. Phoenix would be expected to receive a second-round pick from Chicago, unless the Bulls were looking to move another player to clear more cap space.

If only Warrick is involved, the Suns would have a $13.5 million trade exception for the next year.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/88449

Giuseppe
07-08-2010, 09:53 AM
No Lee.

Thank, Christ.

pauls931
07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
So without Warrick, they could have had the money to go after a big name? Then again it sounds like all the big names colluded to go wherever.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 10:27 AM
lol trying to get fans to believe that trade exception will be used for something worthwhile

JamStone
07-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Could use that $13 million to trade for Al Jefferson?

That's if the Suns would want him and Minnesota is willing to take a draft pick or two in return.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't want that 2011 first rounder traded under any circumstances. I'd be plenty happy with Al Jefferson being brought in, but Nash and Hill need to be traded so the Suns can tank and get a top 5 pick.

Muser
07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Better than nothing I guess.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
lol trying to get fans to believe that trade exception will be used for something worthwhile

No joke. It will probably expire just like every other trade exception.

Still...theres hope, right?

MAYBE Boston will throw their hands up after a 5-12 start and want to trade KG for LB, Clark, A pick and the exception.

"Dream On! Dream On!"

- Steven Tyler

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Still...theres hope, right?

The only reason I say yes there is is because last season was a giant surprise no one expected so this might be another season like that, but I'm just getting tired of Sarver trying to play by his own rules (as you mentioned in that other thread). What the fuck made him think he could offer a partially guaranteed contract to a guy who was just a 2nd all NBA center :lol, I still have no idea how inflated the man's ego has to be to be that brazen negotiating a contract.

Double-Up
07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Could use that $13 million to trade for Al Jefferson?

That's if the Suns would want him and Minnesota is willing to take a draft pick or two in return.

Well that would be pretty retarded, giving up one guy because of injury concerns then signing a guy who tore his ACL not too long ago. But hey it's Phoenix so I guess it makes sense to them.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Well that would be pretty retarded, giving up one guy because of injury concerns then signing a guy who tore his ACL not too long ago. But hey it's Phoenix so I guess it makes sense to them.

lol Rocketfan trying to give a lesson about injury prone players

DMX7
07-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Would the Suns trade Nash to NY? Wouldn't that be awesome? lol

vicphoenix13
07-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Would the Suns trade Nash to NY? Wouldn't that be awesome? lol

Robert Sarver's mansion would have to be forclosed before he traded Nash to the Knicks. He hates D'Antoni and there's other franchises that would offer a better return for Nash.

pauls931
07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Does anyone even know if Nash and Amare like each other? Maybe Amare wants out of Nash's shadow.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Does anyone even know if Nash and Amare like each other? Maybe Amare wants out of Nash's shadow.

Nonsense.

Amare took NY's offer because it was 100% guaranteed. There isnt a player in this league that would have accepted Sarver ridiculous contract with all of its "gotchas" and caveats when other teams were willing to make guaranteed max offers.

jacobdrj
07-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I am confused... The Suns didn't get even a draft pick in return?
Not that they wouldn't have sold it anyways...

Trainwreck2100
07-08-2010, 01:44 PM
they'll trade their exemption for the dust chip

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Dude Amare tried everything he could to stay. He even gave the Suns a chance to match NY's offer. He opted out of his last year at the last minute with hope that he wouldn't have to because he could agree to an extension. He WANTED to stay in Phoenix, but he's not about to leave $40,000,000 of guaranteed money on the table because Sarver is a prick when he can get it somewhere else.

Double-Up
07-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Dude Amare tried everything he could to stay. He even gave the Suns a chance to match NY's offer. He opted out of his last year at the last minute with hope that he wouldn't have to because he could agree to an extension. He WANTED to stay in Phoenix, but he's not about to leave $40,000,000 of guaranteed money on the table because Sarver is a prick when he can get it somewhere else.

Wat up pimp.

http://wellthatwasabaddecision.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/jew_unit.jpg

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Wat up pimp.

http://wellthatwasabaddecision.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/jew_unit.jpg

You're still pissed about the thread I made?

dbestpro
07-08-2010, 01:50 PM
The trade excpetion will only matter come the trade deadline, which means the Suns will have to serious over play to be in contention at that time. More than likely it will be part of a salary dump from another team along with draft picks.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 01:52 PM
The trade excpetion will only matter come the trade deadline, which means the Suns will have to serious over play to be in contention at that time. More than likely it will be part of a salary dump from another team along with draft picks.

I'd be fine with them using it to get picks in a salary dump, there's no one they can get with it to put them in contention. It'll be a lot better than using it to overpay a C-list player because Sarver wants everyone to believe he's in win now mode.