PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: LeBronocalypse

The Gemini Method
07-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Countdown to the LeBronocalypse

By Bill Simmons
ESPN.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/bill-simmons/) | Contact (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=feedback/sportsguy)
Careful; this column will self-destruct at 9 on Thursday night. I can't remember writing a column that had a shorter shelf life. Twelve hours and it turns bad like leftover sushi. Let's call this "Twenty-Three Random Thoughts Before Tonight's LeBronocalypse."

1. A few weeks after the 2008 Summer Olympics, Someone Who Knows Things told me the following rumor: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Chris Paul became such good friends during the 2007 Olympic trials, and then during their 2008 Olympics excursion in Beijing, that they actually made a pact in China to play together. You know, like one of those pacts in a chick flick where two friends agree to get married if both of them are single when they turn 40.

As the rumor went, the 2010 free agents (LeBron, Wade and Bosh) would sign with the same team (at that point the Knicks if they created enough cap room), then Paul would join them in 2012 (or sooner). I thought this was the craziest thing I had ever heard -- so crazy, I only mentioned it once (in a November '08 column (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/081126&sportCat=nba)). It reminded me of being in my mid-20s in Las Vegas, gambling in the wee hours with my single high school buddies, then all of us drunkenly (cont...)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708

JamStone
07-08-2010, 02:48 PM
So Carmelo really must be a bitch.

dickface
07-08-2010, 02:49 PM
So Carmelo really must be a bitch.

:lol

jacobdrj
07-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Why? I don't follow JS...

JamStone
07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Why? I don't follow JS...

Ummmm Carmelo was on those Olympic squads. Had the time and opportunity to bond with those 4 as well. He's actually supposed to be cool with LeBron and Wade.

They didn't want him in on the pact...

dickface
07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Ummmm Carmelo was on those Olympic squads. Had the time and opportunity to bond with those 4 as well. He's actually supposed to be cool with LeBron and Wade.

in his defense, the Traveling Pants can only travel to so many people.

JamStone
07-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Maybe Carmelo was initially a part of the pact as well.

But when confronted, perhaps he felt he had to backpedal away.

Shastafarian
07-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Maybe Carmelo was initially a part of the pact as well.

But when confronted, perhaps he felt he had to backpedal away.

Or throw the chance into a nearby body of water.

jacobdrj
07-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Hmm... He didn't sign the same shortened deal that the other 03 draftees did... And I think Melo has a legit rivalry (at least in his mind) with LeBron. He is probably still bitter he didn't get picked #1 overall (and certainly not even #2).

Yeah, he is a bitch. The 'punch n' run' indecent, the 'laying down on the job' indecent, the 'crying after being shut out' indecent, and of course, the 'and I would like to thank myself' line probably didn't endear him to his peers...

JamStone
07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Hmm... He didn't sign the same shortened deal that the other 03 draftees did... And I think Melo has a legit rivalry (at least in his mind) with LeBron. He is probably still bitter he didn't get picked #1 overall (and certainly not even #2).

Would make for a decent point if CP3 wasn't also part of the "pact."

At any rate, it was more of a joke than anything. So don't take my initial post too seriously.

hater
07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
IMO Carmelo seems the only man out of this gay shit

I can just imagine the amount of gayness in the Heat bench throughout the season.

NBA officially became GAY

jacobdrj
07-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Would make for a decent point if CP3 wasn't also part of the "pact."

At any rate, it was more of a joke than anything. So don't take my initial post too seriously.

I know it was in jest, I am just not awake enough to connect the dots between the omission of Melo from the article/pact to Melo's apparent flaming bitchditude. (I am currently on 2 hours sleep)...

Zelophehad
07-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I think people are overrating the damage Lebron is doing to his image. Hardcore basketball fans are being turned off to him, but honestly there are a ton of homers, bandwagoners, and tweens/little kids among any fan base and throughout the league in general. To hardcore fans, The Jordan Rules hurt Jordan's image but among the general population it was a ripple in the pond.

This is getting more publicity but there are tons of fans who don't follow the league closely enough to be getting tired of his antics.

Andrew Bynum
07-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I think this was a great article by Simmons. If LeBron isn't a little bitch he'll go somewhere and make his own team.

Jace
07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
^Agreed.. If Lebron and company with a ring, his popularity will rebound and then some. People love winners

rjv
07-08-2010, 03:35 PM
did anyone catch the part about superstars and then the next tier of players. did anyone notice any omissions ?

Killakobe81
07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Countdown to the LeBronocalypse

By Bill Simmons
ESPN.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/bill-simmons/) | Contact (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=feedback/sportsguy)
Careful; this column will self-destruct at 9 on Thursday night. I can't remember writing a column that had a shorter shelf life. Twelve hours and it turns bad like leftover sushi. Let's call this "Twenty-Three Random Thoughts Before Tonight's LeBronocalypse."

1. A few weeks after the 2008 Summer Olympics, Someone Who Knows Things told me the following rumor: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Chris Paul became such good friends during the 2007 Olympic trials, and then during their 2008 Olympics excursion in Beijing, that they actually made a pact in China to play together. You know, like one of those pacts in a chick flick where two friends agree to get married if both of them are single when they turn 40.

As the rumor went, the 2010 free agents (LeBron, Wade and Bosh) would sign with the same team (at that point the Knicks if they created enough cap room), then Paul would join them in 2012 (or sooner). I thought this was the craziest thing I had ever heard -- so crazy, I only mentioned it once (in a November '08 column (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/081126&sportCat=nba)). It reminded me of being in my mid-20s in Las Vegas, gambling in the wee hours with my single high school buddies, then all of us drunkenly (cont...)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708

Solid article by BS ...he is good writer when his Boston teams or their rivals are not the subject matter.

As for Lebron. I know many here dont give a rat's ass ...

But i have been a Laker fan all my life but have been a sattelite fan in NY and Texas the past 8 years ...

I also have been a Cowboy fan in Cali when i still lived there ...

Cleveland fans though pessimistic and fatalistic ...care about their teams.

They ARE a football town but if anyone watched ball in the early 90's and didnt just watch Bulls games KNOw they support bball and baseball as well.

When i business travel and head to a sportsbar to watch a game ...Cleveland fans ALWAYS represent if they are playing ...

There are bars in southern Cali that tailor to Browns fans on sundays. those bars are some of the liveliest I had ever seen ...

They have the best atmosphere I have ever seen for game (until i saw the Saints fans this year take over a BWW in Mississipp) ...

Fans in buffalo fans, and Cavs fan deserve some good news Lebron can at least help his hometown.

This sucks for them ...