PDA

View Full Version : Sons just heard the message from Cavs owner Dan Gilbert...HE WENT OFF

Amarelooms
07-08-2010, 10:25 PM
on LEbrons candy ass. Said he guarantees the Cavs will win a ring before the cHeat and that he's going to do whatever it takes to bring a ring to Cleveland.
Called the "King"...a coward and a fraud who made a mockery of the whole process.

Know he's just angry but I gotta get that transcript. Agree with Queen James being a coward and making a mockery of everyone in the NBA

:elephant

baseline bum
07-08-2010, 10:27 PM
source?

Roddy Beaubois
Crucify em, Gilbert. Send that betraying ass straight to the tree of woe

Giuseppe
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

ploto
As always-- when a team trades a player, it is accepted as a business decision, but a player is always vilified for making the best choice for himself.

Findog
Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers

sribb43
That was the best read I've had in a long time....talk about being butt hurt

4>0rings
lol nice

eyeh8u
cHeats, hilarious

Roddy Beaubois
07-08-2010, 10:28 PM
:lmao damn thats rough

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Embarrassing for a team owner to do this..pathetic, disgusting..Cleveland will be a top 3 worst team in the league for a long time, while playing in one of the worst cities in the entire world..fuck Cleveland..

Manu20
07-08-2010, 10:29 PM
So when does the Heat play in Cleavland???:wakeup

DMX7
I think he's trying to boost season ticket sales, lol.

Amarelooms
Son I love this owner...damn maybe more than my boy Cuban

Fuck you Lebron....you coward....the real King is my boy DIRKKKKKKKK

florige
07-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Any word yet if Usher Raymond has given up on his part ownership yet? lol

Amarelooms
07-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Son thanks for posting that transcript above

JamStone
Dan Gilbert is from Michigan.

Was a former minority sponsor of the Detroit Pistons.

What does he know of the agony of Cleveland sports?

Pretty bitter owner. He paid like $400,000,000-$500,000,000 to purchase the Cavs and now it's worth a packet of McDonald's ketchup.

NRHector
Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliersthey created that clown

Sigz
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

Kori Ellis
07-08-2010, 10:33 PM
It's hilarious to me that he changed the front of cavs.com to go directly to the letter.

Giuseppe
Gilbert should have just been quiet for 48 hours.

This is wrong.

timvp
Good rant but the Cavs won't win a championship in the next two decades.

EIC
07-08-2010, 10:34 PM
GTFO with that bullshit. I don't have a dog in the race, but I'm tired of the "LeBron betrayed us" bullshit. Why does the fact that he's from Ohio have to mean that LeBron is forever chained to Cleveland, no matter how shitty that team is? LeBron has stuck by that team for 6 seasons. He's repeatedly heard the team swear up and down that they are trying to put pieces together to win a ring only to be bounced out of the playoffs earlier and earlier each year.

Your time is up, Gilbert. You failed to deliver a championship-caliber team despite repeated bites at the apple. It's not fair to vilify LeBron for going to a team that promises to deliver what you couldn't: A quality surrounding cast.

SomeCallMeTim
As always-- when a team trades a player, it is accepted as a business decision, but a player is always vilified for making the best choice for himself.

Agreed.

But... the spectacle of what this became is what created the monster of resentment. I realize some of that was beyond LeBron's control. But not most of it.

ploto
That is pathetic from an owner. LBJ did not betray anyone. He left as a free agent to join another team. He is an employee, and he found a better job, just like they would have no problem not resigning him if they found someone better.

himat
07-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I would laugh my ass off if Cleveland won before the Heat did!:lmao:lmao:lmao

picc84
07-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Cleveland is like the prison lifer with nothing to lose. Might see somebody just run up on Bron and shank the shit out of him when he comes to Ohio.

redzero
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM
lol butthurt Clevelandfags

I am loling at them trying to spin this shit. Nobody wants to play for the Cavs. Nobody cares about the Cavs. They won't make the playoffs.

redzero
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM
lol double post

Medvedenko
07-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Wow, epic butthurt from an owner no less.

myhc
totally and utterly classless, unprofessional, and shortsighted.

Sigz
A Cavs fans regarding the announcement tonight:

You could have just tweeted it. Jerk.

baseline bum
07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
LMAO @ ESPN saying Gilbert put the whine in the wine & gold. :lmao

picc84
07-08-2010, 10:42 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/f01vc.jpg

cobbler
07-08-2010, 10:43 PM
That is pathetic from an owner. LBJ did not betray anyone. He left as a free agent to join another team. He is an employee, and he found a better job, just like they would have no problem not resigning him if they found someone better.

Its not that he went to another team through free agency. It's the spectacle he made doing it. Where ever have you seen so much hoopla and BS over a self titled CHOOSEN 1 and King who has won....

the same as the Suns!

SomeCallMeTim
07-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I guess Dan Gilbert never took to heart John Wooden's advice: "Emotion is your enemy."

Amarelooms
07-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah dummy it's not that he left....it's HOW HE LEFT....totally unprofessional and uncalled for

DazedAndConfused
The only thing I agree with Gilbert on is the whole media spectacle Lebron put on to announce his "decision". That was pathetic, self-serving, and embarrassing for the NBA IMHO.

JamStone
Dan Gilbert will regret writing that and for putting it on the front of the site.

But I agree with JVG that LeBron could have given him the courtesy of telling him before he announced it on his special. LeBron didn't owe it to every team, but probably to the Cavs and Cavs ownership.

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Lol at Gilbert. Fuck yes.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
I wonder if besides the spectacle if he actually committed to them then changed his mind. Can't believe he did that on TV though. Jesus.

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Lebron's " The Decision" apparently made approximately 2.5 million $ for the Boys & Girls Club..but ya, let's hate on him for that..

Helping kids >>> embarrassing a shitty city and franchise that will be out of the NBA within the next 5 years..

baseline bum
07-08-2010, 10:47 PM
LeBron should have handled his leaving with more class. And :lol @ Gilbert finding a way to look like even more of an ass than James.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-08-2010, 10:49 PM
lmao dan gilbert promises championship with Keyshia Cole boyfriend, Mo Williams, Anderson Varejao, and Lebron Mama boyfriend

mytespurs
07-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm hoping that was a hoax because if not, Gilbert comes off as a complete moron!
He needs to be professional-how embarrassing for the organization as well as the league.

EIC
Its not that he went to another team through free agency. It's the spectacle he made doing it. Where ever have you seen so much hoopla and BS over a self titled CHOOSEN 1 and King who has won....

the same as the Suns!

And the spectacle affected Cleveland how?

angelbelow
wow how classy

cobbler
07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Lebron's " The Decision" apparently made approximately 2.5 million $ for the Boys & Girls Club..but ya, let's hate on him for that..

Helping kids >>> embarrassing a shitty city and franchise that will be out of the NBA within the next 5 years..

That is total bullshit. This was an LBJ self serving showcase and the charity bit was just a media ploy. How about he handles it more professionally and donates out ofhis own pockets to the Boys club.

Anybody that cannot see through the whole charity aspect of this circus is a idiot.

picc84
07-08-2010, 10:53 PM

Its all about the kids, eh Harlem? :rollin

Slydragon
07-08-2010, 10:53 PM
LeBron = chimp, Cleveland = frog

qVE60zwXx1k

DazedAndConfused
07-08-2010, 10:54 PM
That is total bullshit. This was an LBJ self serving showcase and the charity bit was just a media ploy. How about he handles it more professionally and donates out ofhis own pockets to the Boys club.

Anybody that cannot see through the whole charity aspect of this circus is a idiot.

this. HarlemHeat is an idiot though

newacc
07-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Love the raw emotion and non-politicized reply but Gilbert is going to regret that in about...NOW.

cobbler
07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
And the spectacle affected Cleveland how?

It was a slap in the face plain and simple. He only told Miami beforehand? You would think he would have more class than that after being coddled and catered to for 7 years. You have to let the guy who has supported you hear your "decision" on tv? Come on.

sribb43
07-08-2010, 10:56 PM

GTFO...he could have donated that $$$ at anytime but he had to make a spectical of himself

HarlemHeat37
:lol I love how HarlemHeat is an idiot because he cares about charity..

Fucking Gobbler..first he makes racist statements, then he says it's alright to joke about rape, then he uses his disability to try to make mono look bad, and now he's making fun of me for caring about charity..

I don't know how to react to his posts anymore..

EIC

Bingo.

MiamiHeat
07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
anyone else think this part is hilarious?

Killakobe81
07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Agreed.

But... the spectacle of what this became is what created the monster of resentment. I realize some of that was beyond LeBron's control. But not most of it.

I agree ...unseemly but so was Lebron's press conference.

Just say I tried ... I failed and now Im taking the easier path ...

baseline bum

Maybe he's going to go shoot LeBron?

TDMVPDPOY
dan gilbert is pissed cause he knows his franchise is worth 150m less then it did 24hrs ago hahahahahahaa

SpurCapita
07-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Nothing like a strongly worded letter typed in Comic Sans...

EIC
07-08-2010, 11:06 PM
It was a slap in the face plain and simple. He only told Miami beforehand? You would think he would have more class than that after being coddled and catered to for 7 years. You have to let the guy who has supported you hear your "decision" on tv? Come on.

Frankly, I doubt very seriously that the Cavs did not see the writing on the wall. Even Tibetan monks in the Himalayas knew that LeBron was not holding a special live, primetime telecast on ESPN just to announce that he would be staying in Cleveland.

Now, granted, I would personally have done things differently, but I don't think LeBron's failure to call the Cavs ahead of time is worthy of the backlash it's getting. Not by a long shot.

And Gilbert's right to claim that LeBron acted without class was lost the moment he blasted LeBron on the website (assuming the text is true). Gilbert pissed away the opportunity to take the higher road by not writing something like the following:

"We are, of course, saddened by the loss of LeBron James. We are also disappointed and saddened by his un-wilingness to advise us of his decision to leave the team before making his announcement on television. Nevertheless, LeBron James is a tremendous athlete and has been a dedicated part of the Cavaliers family for years. We wish him well in his future endeavors."

The Franchise
07-08-2010, 11:08 PM
GTFO...he could have donated that $$$ at anytime but he had to make a spectical of himself

I'll be the first to say that donating all the proceeds to the B&G club was a wonderful thing to do, but if anyone believes that maggot motherfucker didn't do this for selfish reasons, you are fooling yourself. How do you let the team that let you run the organization for seven years find out like everyone else? Faggot motherfucker!! I can fully understand why Gilbert was pissed.

ducks
07-08-2010, 11:09 PM
source?

Open Letter to Fans from Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert
Print RSS Feeds RSS Cavs Insider Discuss Bookmark and Share

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

The Franchise
07-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Gilbert pissed away the opportunity to take the higher road by not writing something like the following:

"We are, of course, saddened by the loss of LeBron James. We are also disappointed and saddened by his un-wilingness to advise us of his decision to leave the team before making his announcement on television. Nevertheless, LeBron James is a tremendous athlete and has been a dedicated part of the Cavaliers family for years. We wish him well in his future endeavors."

So you're asking the man to lie? :lol

ducks
07-08-2010, 11:11 PM

lakers got a stack deck and no title with the big name players

lets see the roster and how the big three play together in the nba

who gets the ball when the game is on the line

TDMVPDPOY
lebron didnt do anything wrong besides his charade on the media, at the end of the day he is a FA, he can choose to go wherever he wants....he owes the franchise nothing besides carrying that team...team basically did shit to build around him, even when they did, they put trash around him, it was him who carried that team

scottspurs
Gilbert went a little bit too far with his comments in my opinion. It's just basketball not life. I'm feeling less and less sorry for cleveland by the hour.

Killakobe81
07-08-2010, 11:12 PM

LOL great post

FkLA
07-08-2010, 11:14 PM
More...he's saying Bron quit on the Cavs during the last two games of the playoffs.

Cleveland talkshow is must listen to radio right now. Theyre ripping him a new asshole.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/live/?callsign=WKNRAM

EIC
07-08-2010, 11:14 PM
In reading that press release again, I'm struck by an ironic twist:

Gilbert is calling LeBron a traitor in the same breath that he promises that he will now really dedicate himself to bringing a championship to Cleveland. Does this mean he was holding something back and therefore selling LeBron short all those years he was promising to do everything he could to bring "the hardware" to Cleveland? If so, who's betraying who?

EIC
07-08-2010, 11:15 PM
So you're asking the man to lie? :lol

No. I'm asking the man to act like one.

cobbler
07-08-2010, 11:16 PM
:lol I love how HarlemHeat is an idiot because he cares about charity..

Fucking Gobbler..first he makes racist statements, then he says it's alright to joke about rape, then he uses his disability to try to make mono look bad, and now he's making fun of me for caring about charity..

I don't know how to react to his posts anymore..

How about.... dont react. Coming from a racist liar like you... why would you care? I would love for you to show me how in anyway shape or form I used my disability to make anyone look bad. Talk about bullshit. You are the choosen 1 when it come to spewing it.

You don't give a shit about charity. It's just your way of justifying the obnoxiousness of Lebron and the spectacle he delivered in the most arrogant of ways.

...and talking in the 3rd person. Classic!!! :lmao

SomeCallMeTim
07-08-2010, 11:17 PM

:lol @ HarlemHeat: "Whattabout the children!?!"

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Idk why Dan Gilbert is getting criticized for this, I give the man props for calling it like it is and trying to give the fans a reason to believe. Lebron deserves to be trashed, he left Cleveland hung out to dry and doesn't feel bad about it at all.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
:lol @ HarlemHeat: "Whattabout the children!?!"

:lmao

Amarelooms
07-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Dude calling Queen Bron a quitter too lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5365793

Amarelooms
^^^ shit forgot my :elephant

Zelophehad
That chimp raping a frog video was completely random and unnecessary. Talk about crowbarring shit in.

The Franchise
07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Gilbert went a little bit too far with his comments in my opinion. It's just basketball not life. I'm feeling less and less sorry for cleveland by the hour.

You say that because you didn't have anything invested in the cocksucker. For Dan Gilbert it is life. Just imagine if you had forked over tens of millions of dollars to a dancing buffoon and let his band of merry men do whatever they wanted for seven years. Then when he does decide to leave he let's you cling to hope knowing full well where he was going probably for months. I know that would bother me. :lmao

ploto
07-08-2010, 11:21 PM
So can I assume that every player that has ever been traded or not resigned by the Cavs has had a personal phone call from Gilbert himself informing that person and explaining to him why the decision was made. Players that are traded usually hear from the GM via their agent and players that do not get resigned hear nothing.

I can understand why LeBron did not tell Gilbert in advance, given how he took the news so well.

EIC
07-08-2010, 11:22 PM
You say that because you didn't have anything invested in the cocksucker. For Dan Gilbert it is life. Just imagine if you had forked over tens of millions of dollars to a dancing buffoon and let his band of merry men do whatever they wanted for seven years. Then when he does decide to leave he let's you cling to hope knowing full well where he was going probably for months. I know that would bother me. :lmao

Good point. If only Gilbert had found a way to make millions off this scheme . . .

timvp
07-08-2010, 11:22 PM

Post of the day.

Killakobe81
07-08-2010, 11:23 PM

The Franchise
07-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Good point. If only Gilbert had found a way to make millions off this scheme . . .

The team was actually losing money.

Dr. Gonzo
07-08-2010, 11:25 PM
:lmao The sports talk hosts in Cleveland are saying his Mom didn't raise him right. They are pretty much calling him a pussy. :rofl

This is great.

dbestpro
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Coat tails is a quitter. I never saw a guy quit like he did in that last playoff game.

EIC
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
The team was actually losing money.

Well then Gilbert should be ecstatic, right?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 11:27 PM
This is great, we're gonna hear a bunch of bad shit about Lebron because of this.

The Franchise
07-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I just read on realgm that he actually told NY 30 minutes before his special aired. :wow Now him not telling Cleveland is really fucked up. :lol

himat
07-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Harlem Heat or whoever the f he is, is going to be the most annoying poster on this board very soon guys just warning yall.

SomeCallMeTim
So can I assume that every player that has ever been traded or not resigned by the Cavs has had a personal phone call from Gilbert himself informing that person and explaining to him why the decision was made. Players that are traded usually hear from the GM via their agent and players that do not get resigned hear nothing.

I can understand why LeBron did not tell Gilbert in advance, given how he took the news so well.

I think this misses the point.

The point isn't the decision... it is "The Decision" capitalized, in other words the spectacle, the musical, the made-for-TV movie.

The whole thing was so ridiculously overblown, mostly because of LeBron's actions. I'm sorry, but a stunt like that is just asking for blowback. LeBron got what he wanted but I'm afraid he turned off a lot of people in the process.

There's a pretty simple way to rehabilitate his image -- win a bunch of titles. He probably will. In the end most will remember that... but a lot will remember this as well.

It's not like this is unprecedented, superstars show how divorced from reality they are all the time... Kobe's done it plenty of times. These guys are truly living on another planet.

The Franchise

Why? If they were losing money with him imagine what that means once he's gone.

cobbler
07-08-2010, 11:30 PM
In reading that press release again, I'm struck by an ironic twist:

Gilbert is calling LeBron a traitor in the same breath that he promises that he will now really dedicate himself to bringing a championship to Cleveland. Does this mean he was holding something back and therefore selling LeBron short all those years he was promising to do everything he could to bring "the hardware" to Cleveland? If so, who's betraying who?

i worked with a guy years ago... he marches in to the presidents office and asks to talk about his future. He was a good worker, smart, and always got his job dpne. He was upset about others making more and doing less. He says, you need to pay me what you are paying them. I could get a lot more done and i could step it up even more and really show you what I am worth.

The boss wrote some things down and then handed him an envelope and directed him to payroll. The guy struts his way to payroll and hands the docs over to the clerk. After 20 mins or so the clerk comes back and asks for the guys work badge. He hands it over thinking my new title will look good. Clerk comes back with a severence check, a letter, and an escort to the door.

In the letter....

I cannot have anyone working for me that does not give me 100% all the time. You admitted that you have more to give our company if you were compensated better. I wish you all the luck in finding a future employer.

himat
Coat tails is a quitter. I never saw a guy quit like he did in that last playoff game.

Kobe? But at least he stayed and has matured the last few years. The guy really has become a class act...big change from the dick he was during the 2004 days.

TDMVPDPOY
carlos boozer must be laughing about now, what goes around comes around

ElNono
He should file one of these:

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/butthurt_report_form.jpg

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2010, 11:32 PM
lol my nigga Dave from Cleveland is having a party on Saturday where he's gonna burn Lebron's jersey :lmao

lotr1trekkie
07-08-2010, 11:32 PM
JUDOS to the owner!!!!!! The Cavs won 125 games in two years. He spent to bring in whatever they felt James needed .They failed in the playoffs because James HAS to be the MAN. Think about it. Fans don't say, the Cavs are in town but that the king was paying a visit. Watch in Miami if it ain't so! James could have played savior for the Cavs. Instead, he has left his spouse for a younger women. Sound familiar. More attractive playing with Ms. Wade and Bosh. Hopefully, they all bunk up together on the road

picc84
07-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Whats strange is Cleveland fans acting like Lebron owes them a goddamn thing. He's the only reason their shitty city hasn't been annexed from the United States and turned into a nuclear waste dump. People cared more about Haiti before the earthquake than Cleveland.

SomeCallMeTim
07-08-2010, 11:33 PM

Where's a facepalm emoticon when I need one?

cobbler
07-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Harlem Heat or whoever the f he is, is going to be the most annoying poster on this board very soon guys just warning yall.

Short lived. He promised to vanish if his new bandwagon team doesn't win it all this year!

4>0rings
07-08-2010, 11:36 PM
i worked with a guy years ago... he marches in to the presidents office and asks to talk about his future. He was a good worker, smart, and always got his job dpne. He was upset about others making more and doing less. He says, you need to pay me what you are paying them. I could get a lot more done and i could step it up even more and really show you what I am worth.

The boss wrote some things down and then handed him an envelope and directed him to payroll. The guy struts his way to payroll and hands the docs over to the clerk. After 20 mins or so the clerk comes back and asks for the guys work badge. He hands it over thinking my new title will look good. Clerk comes back with a severence check, a letter, and an escort to the door.

In the letter....

I cannot have anyone working for me that does not give me 100% all the time. You admitted that you have more to give our company if you were compensated better. I wish you all the luck in finding a future employer.
Wow that manager is an idiot if he pays people more to do less and fires people who do more for less.

ElNono
07-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I wonder what Danny Ferry thinks of all this...

cobbler
07-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Wow that manager is an idiot if he pays people more to do less and fires people who do more for less.

Apparently the wisdom is lost on you. Go figure. :bang

Mike-in-brazil
07-08-2010, 11:59 PM
GTFO with that bullshit. I don't have a dog in the race, but I'm tired of the "LeBron betrayed us" bullshit. Why does the fact that he's from Ohio have to mean that LeBron is forever chained to Cleveland, no matter how shitty that team is? LeBron has stuck by that team for 6 seasons. He's repeatedly heard the team swear up and down that they are trying to put pieces together to win a ring only to be bounced out of the playoffs earlier and earlier each year.

Your time is up, Gilbert. You failed to deliver a championship-caliber team despite repeated bites at the apple. It's not fair to vilify LeBron for going to a team that promises to deliver what you couldn't: A quality surrounding cast.

that's a very valid point !!!
he is more upset ticket sales are leaving with lebron...
them shits is prob like 7 bucks now...just enough to pay employees salary

EIC
07-09-2010, 12:03 AM

In the letter....

So we agree, yes? Gilbert promising to do more to win now that he's been spurned means that he was holding back with LeBron and therefore that LeBron is right to go elsewhere if winning a championship is his top priority.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 12:04 AM
What's Gilbert gonna do now? Sign Richard Jefferson? All of the big FA are signed up at this point.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Maybe he'll make another snap decision and climb aboard that brand new, gleaming San Antonio Heat bandwagon, El.

ploto
07-09-2010, 12:33 AM
You really think Gilbert cares all that much about the people of Cleveland. He cares more about himself and his millions. I would guess he does not hear "no" very often, either.

It is hard to exhibit righteous indignation when you are missing the righteous part.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Maybe he'll make another snap decision and climb aboard that brand new, gleaming San Antonio Heat bandwagon, El.

I really stopped trying to decode whatever the fuck you're trying to say a long time ago. As if it weren't enough having ducks onboard. I mostly skip right past your posts these days, so excuse me if I don't respond anything else from you.

Stringer_Bell
07-09-2010, 01:01 AM
It's true, Lebron QUIT on Cleveland in the last game of the season, when he knew it was probably the last game he'd ever play in that jersey. Even before the season, he talked up his free agency being the biggest thing ever then went silent when it became obvious how much of a man-child he was.

I don't blame Cleveland for being angry, Lebron's showed he couldn't do it himself and there is nothing to witness. There never was, they just propped up a coward that wanted to be a leader...and he never delivered. I thoroughly expected him to try and prove the haters wrong and say "Jordan had Chi, Kobe's got LA, but I have Clevevand and we all got work to do." But he ran like more of a bitch than when Orlando bent him over that one series, and now the Heat gotta build a team from scratch while learning to share the ball on a team without a system. He wants rings, but he's probably kicked himself out of the "best player" debate for the time being.

Jloyola
07-09-2010, 01:10 AM

Christmas!

dude1394
07-09-2010, 01:43 AM
I would also lmao if cleveland won one before miami.

But bron-bron DID stab the cavaliers in the back. If you think of how players have dealt with this stuff before, the definitely did.

They typically would stay with the home team until it became time to move on because of age/etc. The caveliers had the best record in basketball last year and bron-bron bails on them to suck on diva's whatever.

It's a pretty pathetic state of affairs imo.

DazedAndConfused
07-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Kobe attempted to leave the Lakers because the team Kupchak and Buss surrounded him with was absolute trash. He literally had no help whatsoever, and honestly I don't disagree with him wanting to go elsewhere. I don't agree with his public tirade, but it was within his right to question whether LA was truly serious about winning when they surrounded him with Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, etc.

Lebron's teams have had the best record in the league for the last two seasons. Don't act like CLE didn't try to surround him with good players, they most certainly did and went over the cap to do so. Lebron simply bailed because he didn't want the pressure.

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2010, 01:47 AM
So it's alright for Kobe to shit on the organization and try to leave because he felt like he didn't have a good roster, but it's not alright for Lebron to go somewhere where he feels like he's going to win?..

DazedAndConfused
07-09-2010, 01:51 AM
So it's alright for Kobe to shit on the organization and try to leave because he felt like he didn't have a good roster, but it's not alright for Lebron to go somewhere where he feels like he's going to win?..

Lebron COULD have won if he stayed in Cleveland. He just didn't want all the pressure of having to be the main man to carry the load. In Miami, he doesn't have that pressure.

In '04 Kobe could have easily signed wherever the fuck he wanted. He purposefully signed with LAL because he wanted to be THE MAN to carry the Lakers back to another title. Not because he wanted the easy way out to more rings.

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2010, 01:53 AM
:lol How could he have won in Cleveland?..his supporting cast is horribly put together for playoff basketball, and they don't have any cap room to get better..how exactly was this going to happen?..

Roddy Beaubois
lol comic sans being a TT on twitter

midnightpulp
Kobe attempted to leave the Lakers because the team Kupchak and Buss surrounded him with was absolute trash. He literally had no help whatsoever, and honestly I don't disagree with him wanting to go elsewhere. I don't agree with his public tirade, but it was within his right to question whether LA was truly serious about winning when they surrounded him with Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, etc.

Lebron's teams have had the best record in the league for the last two seasons. Don't act like CLE didn't try to surround him with good players, they most certainly did and went over the cap to do so. Lebron simply bailed because he didn't want the pressure.

Lebron's teams have had the best record in the league the past two years primarily because of Lebron.

His supporting cast is decent on paper but has fallen way short of expectations come post-season. Mo Williams was historically terrible against Orlando in '09, and Jamison, the player who was supposed to put Cleveland over the top, was a no show against Boston.

For all the consternation about Lebron quitting against the Celtics, he was far and away the best player for the Cavs in that series.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Lebron COULD have won if he stayed in Cleveland. He just didn't want all the pressure of having to be the main man to carry the load. In Miami, he doesn't have that pressure.

Dazed is right: Cleveland didn't fail James. James failed Cleveland. James has proven he is incapable of being the man. Wade can now take that mantle from him without rubbing James' nose in it.

Media will not castigate James for this failure, nor cite the power exchange. It will just take place quietly.

kamikazi_player
07-09-2010, 02:01 AM

I was thinking maybe valentines day.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Dazed is right: Cleveland didn't fail James. James failed Cleveland. James has proven he is incapable of being the man. Wade can now take that mantle from him without rubbing James' nose in it.

Media will not castigate James for this failure, nor cite the power exchange. It will just take place quietly.

How are you supposed to be "the man" when Mo Williams is the second best player on your team, and before that, Zyldrunas Ilgauskas?

You Laker fans constantly excuse Kobe for not delivering in the Smush era, blaming his lack of help, but conveniently change your standards when it comes to Lebron.

In all his time with the Cavs, Lebron had exactly two legitimate teams that were capable of winning a title, and not many people in '09 believed that they could go all the way with Mo Williams as his second option. Last season's team was more than capable and just didn't get the job done. It happens. But let's not sit here and act like Cleveland has gone to the far ends of the earth to surround James with the best talent possible.

James in no way "failed" Cleveland. What have they really done for him roster wise during his tenure there?

The Third Man
07-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Dan Gilbert may be "telling it like it is," but his open letter is unproductive and short sighted. He should have at least owned that he enabled the Lebron Ego Monster as much as anybody.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 02:10 AM
How are you supposed to be "the man" when Mo Williams is the second best player on your team, and before that, Zyldrunas Ilgauskas?

You Laker fans constantly excuse Kobe for not delivering in the Smush era, blaming his lack of help, but conveniently change your standards when it comes to Lebron.

In all his time with the Cavs, Lebron had exactly two legitimate teams that were capable of winning a title, and not many people in '09 believed that they could go all the way with Mo Williams as his second option. Last season's team was more than capable and just didn't get the job done. It happens. But let's not sit here and act like Cleveland has gone to the far ends of the earth to surround James with the best talent possible.

James is no way "failed" Cleveland. What have they really done for him roster wise during his tenure there?

James quit when he was resisted. They didn't go after Williams, or, the others. They cut out James, isolated him, made him say "no mas" and he coughed it up immediately. Wanted no part of it.

That's failing Cleveland. That isn't Cleveland failing him.

Wade will take that failure from him.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 02:17 AM
James quit when he was resisted. They didn't go after Williams, or, the others. They cut out James, isolated him, made him say "no mas" and he coughed it up immediately. Wanted no part of it.

That's failing Cleveland. That isn't Cleveland failing him.

Wade will take that failure from him.

So essentially you're saying that the Celtics superior defense shut James down?

How would your tune change regarding Kobe "I resisted and tried to say "no mas" by shooting 6-24 in game 7" Bryant if the Lakers would've lost that game?

The difference between the two is that Lebron had Jamison going 5 and 5 in his closeout game and Kobe had Gasol going for 19 and 18 in his.

It's funny how winning covers up the truth of the matter. Kobe was equally awful against the Celtics, but one player "failed" his city while the other is exalted as "the best player evar!!!111."

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 02:21 AM
So essentially you're saying that the Celtics superior defense shut James down?

How would your tune change regarding Kobe "I resisted and tried to say "no mas" by shooting 6-24 in game 7" Bryant if the Lakers would've lost that game?

The difference between the two is that Lebron had Jamison going 5 and 5 in his closeout game and Kobe had Gasol going for 19 and 18 in his.

It's funny how winning covers up the truth of the matter. Kobe was equally awful against the Celtics, but one player "failed" his city while the other is exalted as "the best player evar!!!111."

I just told you the response if we'd a lost Game 7.

When Kobe was resisted in Game 7 he did not quit like James did. He went immediately down into the paint where he knew they could not stop him and got rebounds, and impacted that way.

Once James was stopped, he tossed the towel.

z0sa
07-09-2010, 02:22 AM
Fuck Cleveland, nobody gives a shit that LeBron grew up there and it doesn't matter a fucking iota. The team sucks balls and there were way better options for James out there.

Roddy Beaubois
07-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Can't believe I hate Lebron more than Kobe. I might root against the Heat in the upcoming LA/MIA finals.

redzero
07-09-2010, 02:26 AM

What did James do to prove that he isn't the man? People like to call him a playoff choker, but I want to know when he choked.

When LeBron did everything and played out of his mind against the Magic, he was labeled a choker.

When he played relatively poorly against the Celtics, he was labeled a choker.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 02:28 AM
I just told you the response if we'd a lost Game 7.

When Kobe was resisted in Game 7 he did not quit like James did. He went immediately down into the paint where he knew they could not stop him and got rebounds, and impacted that way.

Once James was stopped, he tossed the towel.

Do you realize that Lebron scored 27 points and grabbed 19 rebounds in Game 6? Also had 10 assists (with 9 turnovers, which tells me he was trying too hard).

The only game where you can call him out is Game 5, and even if he played perfectly, the Cavs still lose that game. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the Celtics defense was just that good and broke his will for that particular game?

And a player having their will broken for one game, or even a series, has happened to every great to ever play. Magic against the Celtics, Jordan against the Pistons, Shaq against the Spurs (or Rockets), Duncan against the Lakers, Kobe against the Pistons and Celtics.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Do you realize that Lebron scored 27 points and grabbed 19 rebounds in Game 6? Also had 10 assists (with 9 turnovers, which tells me he was trying too hard).

The only game where you can call him out is Game 5, and even if he played perfectly, the Cavs still lose that game. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the Celtics defense was just that good and broke his will for that particular game?

And a player having their will broken for one game, or even a series, has happened to every great to ever play. Magic against the Celtics, Jordan against the Pistons, Shaq against the Spurs (or Rockets), Duncan against the Lakers, Kobe against the Pistons and Celtics.

James quit at many intervals in that series. Filling a stat sheet does not relieve him of his failings

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 02:44 AM
What did James do to prove that he isn't the man? People like to call him a playoff choker, but I want to know when he choked.

When LeBron did everything and played out of his mind against the Magic, he was labeled a choker.

When he played relatively poorly against the Celtics, he was labeled a choker.

The Kobe fans will respond that he isn't the man because he failed to deliver a title. For all the hype James has received, it's somewhat of a fair point, but loses all credibility when spoken by a Laker fan who has repeatedly excused their hero for similar failings.

The difference is that James has never had a prime Shaquille O'Neal or Pau Gasol to cover up his sub-par post-season efforts. Not to mention that James was the best player and leader on his team from day 1, a team that won all but 17 games the year before, while Kobe was brought into an ideal situation, drafted by a team that had won 53 games the previous year and had just signed a young Shaquille O'Neal.

mingus
07-09-2010, 02:46 AM
i don't understand why people think Lebron going to Miami hurts his legacy. he was the MPV of the league last year and he's going to be the best player on the Heat. he's the type of player that does so much so well that he'll have a marked impact on the game whether he defers to Bosh and Wade for games or not. his talent will still be on full display in Miami, plus they'll probably be winning championships for the next five years, barring any injuries. he isn't going to score as much, but i can see him averaging a triple double next year.

mingus
07-09-2010, 02:49 AM
that and the MVP usually goes to the best player on the best reg. season team. he'll have both of those locked up next year, and will prob. get a third mvp.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 02:50 AM
James quit at many intervals in that series. Filling a stat sheet does not relieve him of his failings

Evidence?

Are you gonna cite examples like being apathetic and "standing around?"

Did Kobe not exhibit the same behavior at intervals during the Thunder series? Remember after Gasol obliquely called him out, he responded by passively lobbing the ball into the post and standing around the perimeter, appearing as if he was sulking

But on one side, you have a player getting "others involved" and on the other, you have a player "quitting."

Oh how the perception would've changed if the Lakers somehow lost to the Thunder.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Evidence?

Are you gonna cite examples like being apathetic and "standing around?"

Did Kobe not exhibit the same behavior at intervals during the Thunder series? Remember after Gasol obliquely called him out, he responded by passively lobbing the ball into the post and standing around the perimeter, appearing as if he was sulking

But on one side, you have a player getting "others involved" and on the other, you have a player "quitting."

Oh how the perception would've changed if the Lakers somehow lost to the Thunder.

No, Kobe didn't quit in these playoffs or Finals.

James did indeed quit vs. the Celtics.

mingus
07-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Lebron quit like a mother fucker in that series. was the first sign he wouldn't be signing with Cleveland.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 02:55 AM
No, Kobe didn't quit in these playoffs or Finals.

James did indeed quit vs. the Celtics.

Evidence?

Cite one example.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 02:56 AM
i don't understand why people think Lebron going to Miami hurts his legacy. he was the MPV of the league last year and he's going to be the best player on the Heat. he's the type of player that does so much so well that he'll have a marked impact on the game whether he defers to Bosh and Wade for games or not. his talent will still be on full display in Miami, plus they'll probably be winning championships for the next five years, barring any injuries. he isn't going to score as much, but i can see him averaging a triple double next year.

James failed to win a ring in 8 years.

Wade will now lead James into the future. If a ring is garnered it will be because Wade led James to it, literally & figuratively.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Evidence?

Cite one example.

At one point he refused to join the huddle during a TO. He just stood off to the side looking into the crowd.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 02:59 AM
James failed to win a ring in 8 years.

Wade will now lead James into the future. If a ring is garnered it will be because Wade led James to it, literally & figuratively.

Tell me how he was supposed to win a title with the rosters he's had from 03-08? Especially with the Lakers, Spurs, Pistons, and Celtics at full force.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 03:03 AM
Tell me how he was supposed to win a title with the rosters he's had from 03-08? Especially with the Lakers, Spurs, Pistons, and Celtics at full force.

By not quitting.

He's simply not good enough to lead a team to it. That's obvious. In 8 years, he never got to an elimination game in the Finals.

Wade will gladly carry his water now. Should make it much easier for James.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 03:05 AM
At one point he refused to join the huddle during a TO. He just stood off to the side looking into the crowd.

How can you realistically connect that to quitting rather than frustration or some other emotion that a player experiences during a tense playoff game.

I do think he "quit" in Game 5, but not for the obvious reasons mentioned ad nauseum ("He knew he was leaving Cleveland, therefore he quit."). I think the Celtics had him mind fucked and shattered his will and belief that his team had any chance at winning that series.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 03:08 AM
By not quitting.

He's simply not good enough to lead a team to it. That's obvious. In 8 years, he never got to an elimination game in the Finals.

Wade will gladly carry his water now. Should make it much easier for James.

Now you're just trolling.

He's supposed to lead this team to a Finals elimination game by not quitting!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2005.html

Or this team:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2008.html

Or this team:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2004.html

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 03:11 AM
I do think he "quit" in Game 5, but not for the obvious reasons mentioned ad nauseum ("He knew he was leaving Cleveland, therefore he quit."). I think the Celtics had him mind fucked and shattered his will and belief that his team had any chance at winning that series.

It's still quitting.

When Kobe quit I believe he thought he was justified. Why? I believe he thought: "there is no way in Hell I'm going to be able to ring with this f'in bunch. Just fuck it." That's quitting, gd it. Bryant was wrong. And is still wrong to this day.

I don't need Media to tell me what is quitting and who is quitting. I got eyes and a brain.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 03:12 AM
He's supposed to lead this team to a Finals elimination game by not quitting!

Yes. There is no other way.

Jacob1983
07-09-2010, 03:17 AM
It would be awesome if the Cavs make the playoffs next year and the Heat miss the playoffs. Cavs could maybe at least get the number 8th seed in the East. Or how about the Heat as the number 1 seed and the Cavs as the number 8 seed and the Cavs upsetting the Heat in 7 games in the first round. That would be sweet but I don't think Stern would let it happen.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 03:18 AM
It's still quitting.

When Kobe quit I believe he thought he was justified. Why? I believe he thought: "there is no way in Hell I'm going to be able to ring with this f'in bunch. Just fuck it." That's quitting, gd it. Bryant was wrong. And is still wrong to this day.

I don't need Media to tell me what is quitting and who is quitting. I got eyes and a brain.

That's exactly what you're doing. Following the media's (and popular) opinion that James quit on his team. I might be the only one here giving James somewhat the benefit of doubt, and giving the Celtics credit rather completely vilifying James. Like I said before, athletes from all sports have had their will broken and belief shattered at some point in their career, which is what I think happened to James.

You may call it quitting, but I prefer to call it "outclassed."

DMX7
07-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Cavs have a better chance at getting the #1 overall pick than they do of making the playoffs.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Yes. There is no other way.

If you're going to quote me, quote the whole post.

I ask again, how is James supposed to do anything remarkable with the teams he's had from the day was drafted to 2008?

How can you really take James to task for being a failure when he's had exactly two teams anywhere near worthy of contention.

Zelophehad
07-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Whats strange is Cleveland fans acting like Lebron owes them a goddamn thing. He's the only reason their shitty city hasn't been annexed from the United States and turned into a nuclear waste dump. People cared more about Haiti before the earthquake than Cleveland.
This post cracked me up.

v2freak
07-09-2010, 03:35 AM

In the letter....

This may just be the opposite of what I learned in Management theory. I bet people love working under him.

I really stopped trying to decode whatever the fuck you're trying to say a long time ago.

His posts make less sense than the first season of LOST. Don't even try. But in this case, I agree with Guiseppe - at least I agree with what I think he is trying to say. Free agents come and go, even when they're home-grown. But the way he made such a big deal about it was disgusting. We're talking about a guy who's ego is so big he has CHOSEN tattooed to his back.

One question: is he still King James now that he has 2 superstars next to him in Miami? When Bryant continually failed without a decent supporting cast, LA brought in Gasol, Artest etc to help him. Can a player be praised for doing it all, and having help?

DMX7
07-09-2010, 03:52 AM
How funny would it be if LeBron didn't win a championship in Miami?

ffadicted
07-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Cleveland - Miami first round matchup?? Yes please

mudyez
07-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Cleveland - Miami first round matchup?? Yes please

you thing miami will only finish 8th? ;)

Basketballgirl25
07-09-2010, 07:59 AM
from all of this I'm come to this

Lebron and Dan Gilbert are both idiots, now I don't blame Lebron for leaving but the way he did it come on really now it's a joke for the NBA, I can now see why more people like Football and Baseball then Basketball. And Dan Gilbert it was stupid of him to write that, but you know a lot of people around the world were prob thinking that anyway so got to say he has some balls to say that.

pauls931
07-09-2010, 08:01 AM
It's all about the players and where they can get money. LOL, I have CNBC on right now and they just mentioned this story.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Like I said before, athletes from all sports have had their will broken and belief shattered at some point in their career, which is what I think happened to James.

That's weak & puny, Mid.

James quit. It ain't the end of the world. Nash quit. MJ quit. Kobe quit, Wilt quit. Rodman quit. Amare quit. The list is long & distinguished.

Mike-in-brazil
07-09-2010, 09:20 AM

James in no way "failed" Cleveland. What have they really done for him roster wise during his tenure there?
so u don't think he had enough valid players for any so called Goat to take it any team ...?..

i see your point midnight ,but come on doggie...please don't put those lakers supporting role players same catagory as cavs not even close...
lebron didn't fail Cleveland he's just not the Goat people assumed he would be . Dude just failed yalls expectations !!! period!!!
Dawg i don't get this shit claimin king and goat b4 u win anything shit amazes me everytime..media ..fans etc da puck man!!!

not making an excuse for kobe nobody can win a ring with trash around them never happend , and never will

no excuses for nobody fuck dat ...stop it with cleveland didn't give james what he needed ...what they didn't give him a mini all start team wtf!? u need that dawg to get a championship?!?!...seriously!??!

JamStone
07-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I ask again, how is James supposed to do anything remarkable with the teams he's had from the day was drafted to 2008?

How can you really take James to task for being a failure when he's had exactly two teams anywhere near worthy of contention.

That's the problem. The last two seasons take that argument away from James. After making it to the 2007 NBA Finals, he's had good enough supporting casts the last two seasons to have the best regular season records both years. Sure, it was mostly due to LeBron, but if he had enough help to have the best record in the league two straight seasons, he loses the excuse that he doesn't have enough help to win a title.

LeBron quit against Boston. He stopped attacking the basket. He settled for long, lazy jumpers. Stopped staying involved in offense. He still put up stats, but it was pretty clear he stopped trying to win in that series I believe from game 4 on. He scored. He still grabbed some rebounds and assists. But it was clear as day that he had quit on his team and was no longer trying to win. You keep asking where the evidence is. If you watched that series, you wouldn't need to ask for evidence.

Spurs Brazil
07-09-2010, 05:02 PM
LeBron's unsavory 'Decision' spectacleHe chose the Heat for justifiable reasons, but the way he announced it wasn't prettyEmail Print Comments891 By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com
Archive
And now I'd like to present & The Column on The Decision, which was announced by The Egotist, who has lost The Respect of The Columnist for jacking around The Cavs, The Bulls, The Knicks, The Nets and The Clippers (yes, even The Clippers) before deciding on The Heat and milking it for every Favre-like minute as he talked about The King in The Third Person.

Please tell me it's over -- or is LeBron James still blabbering away about the agony of free agency?

[+] EnlargeChristopher Capozziello/Getty Images
The writing was on the wall for the Heat, despite the writing on this fan's sign.

If nothing else, the James Team's manufactured saga makes you yearn for simpler times, like when Michael Jordan, who actually won things such as championships, announced one of his monumental career decisions in a concise "I'm back" fax.

But no, we got 27 minutes of TV appetizers, followed by eight seconds of LeBron steak ("This fall -- man, this is very tough -- um, this fall I'm going to take my talents to South Beach and join the Miami Heat"), followed by 33-plus minutes of Worcestershire sauce. The whole thing was semi-ridiculous, although it did reveal a vain, self-absorbed side of James that's as attractive as braided nose hair.

Anyway, he's going to Miami to team up with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh! Whooee!

Duh. Where else did you think he'd sign once Wade re-upped with Team Riley and Bosh followed? To Cleveland? Sure, because everyone wants to play for a team with little cap space and Mo Williams as your point guard. To the Bulls and a rookie head coach and a sometimes-dysfunctional front office? To New York and the countdown to Amare Stoudemire's next injury? To New Jersey and more question marks than in this paragraph? To Los Angeles and Donald Sterling and the shadow of the Lakers and Kobe Bryant?

The minute Wade and Bosh chose Miami is the minute The Decision was made. James can (and did) frame it any way he wants, but if winning a championship was his No. 1 priority -- and he said weeks and weeks ago that it was -- then the Heat made the most sense, followed closely by the Bulls.

Nearly five months ago, I wrote a column outlining how and why a James-Wade-Bosh signing could happen. At the time, the Knicks were the team best positioned to pull off the audacious move. But that was before Heat president (and eventual coach?) Pat Riley started dumping salaries into Biscayne Bay. Then he kept Wade, recruited Bosh and that was that.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Mark Duncan
These Cavs fans at the Harry Buffalo in Cleveland on Thursday had some trouble appreciating LeBron's seven-year contribution to their city.

I don't have a problem with James' choice. Had he selected anyone but the Heat or the Bulls, he would have backtracked on his free-agency campaign promise of caring only about wins, not money. By signing with the Heat, he'll get both -- maybe not as much money had he stayed in Cleveland, but in the short and long run, he'll have a better chance at an NBA title.

What bothers me isn't so much the contrived nature of the announcement, but that James was such a willing participant -- if not the creator -- of the spectacle. He is an immensely gifted player, the best in the NBA, but he has won nothing. Zilch. Goose eggs. At least Wade has a championship ring. Whatever James won in high school doesn't count.

Can you imagine what Kobe was thinking as he watched Thursday evening's announcement? He must have been seething. He's probably already counting the months, weeks and days until the Lakers play the Heat during the regular season. Knowing how Bryant uses such things as motivation, he's almost surely hoping the Heat win the Eastern Conference and face the Lakers in the Finals.

James did the Heat, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America (with a reported $2.5 million in donated revenue from the telecast of The Decision) and the Lakers a huge favor Thursday night. As for the Cavs, Bulls, Knicks, Nets and Clippers, those franchises deserve better than the dog and LeBron show.

If, as James said Thursday night, he made up his mind that morning, then he owed those franchises the courtesy of a phone call. If it leaked before the TV show, then it leaked. It's not like it was a secret. ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported ALL day and night that James was a virtual lock to join the Heat.

[+] EnlargeChristopher Capozziello/Getty Images
Not much doubt about LeBron's clout outside the Boys & Girls Club, at least in this fan's mind.

And is it just me, or is anyone else stunned that James informed the Heat of the decision minutes before the broadcast, but didn't do the same for the franchise that had been his only professional home? He apparently had one of his business partners place a call to the Cavs.

This was a James production, filled with James-endorsed products, coordinated by James employees. Was it news? Absolutely. Was it narcissistic? Absolutely. Was ESPN a partner of sorts? Absolutely.

I don't think less of James' basketball skills, but I do think less of his instincts. He didn't grow his brand Thursday night; he grew his ego. It was clumsy, ill-conceived and unnecessary. I watched and winced.

In Cleveland, Cavs fans were burning his jersey. Dumb. Northeast Ohio ought to thank him for his seven years of loyal, blue-collar service, just as James thanked Northeast Ohio for its support. It is, as James has reminded us repeatedly, a business.

But the business of James has become a little less pure and a lot more mercenary. It wasn't who he chose, but how he chose them.

Maybe a championship, if he wins one, will make it all worthwhile. Maybe James will learn a lesson from this botched exercise in marketing. Until then, the way he handled his free-agency announcement will be known by two words:

The Mistake.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at [email protected]. Hear Gene's podcasts and ESPN Radio appearances by clicking here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/100708&sportCat=nba