PDA

View Full Version : Has our window shut ?

silk
07-09-2010, 03:12 AM
There's a new generation of high profile team building-up (thunder, bulls, heat...) Meanwhile, our big three is aging and the best of them, Tim Ducan, could probably decline still more next year. Without an elite Tim, can the spurs realistically compete for a championship ?

It's almost as if the new spurs building up were not in San Antonio anymore but in Oklahoma. Durant has spur written all over it, same for their GM and other player. I would have thought Oklahoma City would be the new spurs in a couple of years, but, really, could it be as soon as next year ? Tony sais this is our last realistic chance.

Kind of sad watching our Era goes, but if that's the case, we have to be well aware of that and enjoying the last moments.

Spurs da champs
07-09-2010, 03:15 AM
If we trade tony for the right pieces, we still got a chance.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Who is this Tim Ducan of which you speak?

The Spurs have historically done a good job of not relying on free agents to fall into their lap in order to keep the talent level. With the exception of a few hiccups recently, there's still plenty of young talent to develop and take some weight off the veterans. We should expect Tony Parker to have an all-star season since it's a contract year for him. If some talented big bodies can be found, some of the youngsters step up and the coaching staff can manage to tolerate some growing pains the Spurs can compete.

scottspurs
07-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Probably, but Tim Duncan and Company will show up and keep putting one foot in front of the other. This is probably the last season the spurs will be contenders and they need a lot of things to fall in their favor to win it all. I know this is becoming redundant around here, but I think next season depends on how good Tiago Splitter really is. And thats if he even becomes a spur.

For the spurs to get #5 I believe Splitter has to exceed expectations and be really good. That and the FO needs to find shooters and perimeter defenders. Probably not going to happen.

scottspurs
Probably, but Tim Duncan and Company will show up and keeping putting one foot in front of the other. This is probably the last season the spurs will be contenders and they need a lot of things to fall in their favor to win it all. I know this is becoming redundant around here, but I think next season depends on how good Tiago Splitter really is. And thats if he even becomes a spur.

For the spurs to get #5 I believe Splitter has to exceed expectations and be really good. That and the FO needs to find shooters and perimeter defenders. Probably not going to happen.

ezau
Who is this Tim Ducan of which you speak?

The Spurs have historically done a good job of not relying on free agents to fall into their lap in order to keep the talent level. With the exception of a few hiccups recently, there's still plenty of young talent to develop and take some weight off the veterans. We should expect Tony Parker to have an all-star season since it's a contract year for him. If some talented big bodies can be found, some of the youngsters step up and the coaching staff can manage to tolerate some growing pains the Spurs can compete.

You have to remember that the Heat still don't have a team yet. Yeah, they're scary good but we have to wait and see how well they'll be able to play together as a team.

mudyez
07-09-2010, 03:23 AM
For our window!

TBH, I think it has! Hurts a lot and people will hate me for saying so.

But if you think about writers writing us off 3 years ago, we did a great job!

Reasons we are not in the hunt any longer:
1) Timmy isnt the defensive presense he used to be in our runs!
2) Manu can't do it for long stretches, like some years ago!
3) We need Bowen or at least a stopper thats near his level!
4) Other teams are stacked (Lakers, Mavs, OKC some teams in the east)

Saying so, we have to make following decition:

Do we want to be in the playoffs and maybe compete for a spot in the Western CF (maybe even go to the finals with some luck), or are we trying to rebuild within the process? Timmy and Manu are not going anywhere and nobody wants them to leave, but both also can be used to tutor our young players (we have some nice pieces).
A lot comes down to the Parker situation, how Splitter does and if RJ can be his 08-self again.

We can still go far in the playoffs, but I dont see us going all the way. It was great so far and winning 4 titles is great ('06 it could have been one more, but we also could have lost to the Pistons or lose other ships, if Kobe+Shaq get along with each other)..

As for OKC: I agree with them having a great team, that has a lot of the Spurs (build within the draft, defense).

They are my second fav team and I hope they will win some ships!

Inly knack with them is, that they are the Zombisonics and always will be!

Obstructed_View
07-09-2010, 03:28 AM
You have to remember that the Heat still don't have a team yet. Yeah, they're scary good but we have to wait and see how well they'll be able to play together as a team.

Spurs gotta win the west before they worry about the Heat.

slick'81
07-09-2010, 03:33 AM
sadly i felt like '07 was it for sa but have always kept hope alive now the window is shut and may be locked

mudyez
07-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Spurs gotta win the west before they worry about the Heat.

Agree!

I can understand eastern teams worry a bit about the Heat but us?

Right now they have a good team, but IMHO not the best team right now.

If they can get 2 defensive Centers and 2-3 Shooters shooters (that also can play some defense), they might become but we still would have to go through the Lakers and some others to face them.

As scarry, as the Heat may become, I dont see them as the unbeatebals right now:

1) LeBron and Wade have to show us, that they can share one ball!
2) Bosh is a great player but not a "superstar"...How can e help the Heats interior defense?
3) Can they fill the slots? Kobe is about at teha same level as LeBron for the next 2 years and Gasol can be compared to Bosh. Now do you take Wade + only min players over Artest, Odom, Bynum, Fisher, Blake and so on? (the answer has to be "depending on the min players, which could be surprisingly good, but I wouldnt bet on it).

We are 3 playoffseries away from facing an eastern team...and right now its not even sure, if Boston or Orlando cant outdo them!

mudyez
07-09-2010, 03:37 AM
sadly i felt like '07 was it for sa but have always kept hope alive now the window is shut and may be locked

Tru words, but you have to give the franchise credit for trying some more years!

Why not try to get the best out of that team for one more season?
If all stay healthy and Splitter does well, we might at least confince Parker to stay, when NY is not making the playoffs again!

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2010, 03:37 AM
we go down fighting man

mudyez
07-09-2010, 03:38 AM
we go down fighting man

and thats what I like about us...as long as we dont skrew our future entirely (like trading Blair and Hill for Vince Carter or something like that :downspin:)

kamikazi_player
07-09-2010, 03:42 AM
It may be locked, but I'll still stick to this team no matter what. Maybe our fortune will happen soon, who knows. Who woulda thought Bron and Bosh would be a heat?

SpursTillTheEnd
07-09-2010, 03:44 AM
spurs till the end ima ride or die with this team until its over, or im dead and gone,i dont give a fuck if we win one game ill still be a spurs fan, i cant even tell yall how many fight ive been in over people calling the spurs boring

SenorSpur
07-09-2010, 03:44 AM
With the defending champs out West and a Super team brewing in Miami, and on the heels of an epic 4-game sweep to the Suns, the next 12 months do not look promising.

Despite drafting 3 outstanding young players in consecutive years, it's clear that this team, in particular its star core, are in decline. Unfortunately, the Spurs have little to no financial "wiggle room" to make free agent upgrades. The minor moves they can potentially make probably will not be enough to allow them to move past the Fakers.

Meanwhile, other teams are getting better and contenders are moving parts around in an effort to get stronger. In the past week, we've all been witnesses as to just how much other teams have "upped the ante" in the NBA arms race. Unfortunately, the Spurs have been forced to watch from the sidelines.

There's no doubt the Spurs will be a playoff team, but a serious contender for an NBA title? That's a huge leap. If the window isn't totally shut, it's closing very fast.

mudyez
07-09-2010, 03:49 AM
spurs till the end ima ride or die with this team until its over, or im dead and gone,i dont give a fuck if we win one game ill still be a spurs fan, i cant even tell yall how many fight ive been in over people calling the spurs boring

yeah...same with me!

There is no question if I stay a Spurs fan, just if we have to lower our expectations in years to come!

tim_duncan_fan
07-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Yes it has shut. On top of that, Miami just signed a triumvirate out of the greatest free agent class ever and we can't even get our on draft picks signed...

GoSpurs99
07-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Yes it has shut. On top of that, Miami just signed a triumvirate out of the greatest free agent class ever and we can't even get our on draft picks signed...

After trading Beas, the now have three players signed. The are not going to win it all automatically w/o help from bench/role players.

They are certainly in the discussion.

senorglory
07-09-2010, 04:18 AM
fuck your mother.

bigzak25
07-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Oh Ye of little faith. This is a championship season. Believe. :toast

tim_duncan_fan
07-09-2010, 04:48 AM
Oh Ye of little faith. This is a championship season. Believe. :toast

Not if we can't even cover the basics like getting Splitter signed.

I wish the Spurs had a greater since of urgency. The window is closing but that doesn't mean we can't squeeze through the crack or the doggy door...

The guys just really need to get a move on this year though. If we're gonna compete the FO needs to get on its game and get us some players. Bonner, RJ and Mason just aren't gonna cut it.

The least we could do is get the Splitter signing out of the way quickly.

alchemist
07-09-2010, 04:48 AM
I believe so, but that won't stop me from enjoying the Spurs play. This is probably the final year TP will play for us, Tim is almost gone. Just enjoy it before it's gone. :toast

bigzak25
07-09-2010, 04:55 AM
Not if we can't even cover the basics like getting Splitter signed.

I wish the Spurs had a greater since of urgency. The window is closing but that doesn't mean we can't squeeze through the crack or the doggy door...

The guys just really need to get a move on this year though. If we're gonna compete the FO needs to get on its game and get us some players. Bonner, RJ and Mason just aren't gonna cut it.

The least we could do is get the Splitter signing out of the way quickly.

Patience my friend. Good things come to those who wait. I believe they'll get it done. As for small forward, there is the LLE, along with Bonner and Hairston. I feel the team will fill out nicely for the run.

Wouldn't mind one more vet big to go along with TD, Splitter, Mcdyess, and Blair, but I'm happy with those 4.

I don't expect RJ or Mason to be back.

bigzak25
07-09-2010, 05:09 AM
And just think, if Shaq would be willing to take the LLE and commit to being in shape.

I don't know how likely that is, but it's a possibility. Shaq has enough money and I'm sure would love to come home to San Antonio and help TD get one or TWO more as they both ride off into the sunset.

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2010, 05:23 AM
dude nothing is impossible, shit can happen in the season like players gettin injured in the playoffs etc

imo we got the team and chemistry going for us, just lacking a few pieces thats all...

benefactor
07-09-2010, 05:35 AM
fuck your mother.
I lol'd.

timtonymanu
07-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Honestly I feel the window has been shut since the last title.

Trading Scola was the first sign. Letting Bowen walk was the last.

That being said, I still support the Spurs every year like I'm expecting a 5th title. If it never comes, I'm happy for the 4 titles. For the Spurs to win that many titles without any Gasol-like trades and non-lottery picks is something fans should be proud of.

sa_butta
07-09-2010, 07:10 AM
I think we are a good playoff team, just don't have the championship team. I feel we may be this way for a while.

George Gervin's Afro
07-09-2010, 07:12 AM
The team we have going into training camp does not give us a chance to win the title.

iManu
07-09-2010, 07:42 AM
I lol'd.

Me, too. :elephant

Whisky Dog
07-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Right now we have a .0000000000019% chance to win the title.

It's done, it's over. The NBA let the Lakers conspire in the Gasol deal and have let the 3 top FA conspire to join the same team.

This isn't a sport anymore, it's sports entertainment. If I were you I'd start watching the NBA like people watch WWE. Get some kicks out of the sheer lunacy but realize it just isn't reality. It's all staged just to get your money.

Danny.Zhu
07-09-2010, 08:06 AM
dude nothing is impossible, shit can happen in the season like players gettin injured in the playoffs etc

imo we got the team and chemistry going for us, just lacking a few pieces thats all...

You meant 30-40% of the entire pieces.

sa_butta
07-09-2010, 08:06 AM

It's done, it's over. The NBA let the Lakers conspire in the Gasol deal and have let the 3 top FA conspire to join the same team.

This isn't a sport anymore, it's sports entertainment. If I were you I'd start watching the NBA like people watch WWE. Get some kicks out of the sheer lunacy but realize it just isn't reality. It's all staged just to get your money.

Best teams money can buy wins the titles these days....
I think its funny when the teams spend a ton of money and don't win...
like the Yankees in baseball.

lefty
07-09-2010, 08:25 AM
We are done

Go San Antonio Heat !

PublicOption
07-09-2010, 08:28 AM
miami doesn't have a bench. one of those guys gets hurt and its over.

PublicOption
07-09-2010, 08:30 AM

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/bullseye.jpg

silverblk mystix
07-09-2010, 09:00 AM
...not quite...not yet...

but if the spurs re-sign BONNER

...then the window is SEALED SHUT.

CaptainLate
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
There's a new generation of high profile team building-up (thunder, bulls, heat...) Meanwhile, our big three is aging and the best of them, Tim Ducan, could probably decline still more next year. Without an elite Tim, can the spurs realistically compete for a championship?

It's over. The FO had pinned the future on the 2010 free agent class. When the economy tanked and Splitter stayed overseas, and the FO put all their chips in with RJefferson, which didn't work and now we see it won't work, the window shut. With the ownership we have, the brief dynasty we had has come and gone...enjoy it b/c that's all she wrote.

Had it not been for cheap ownership during DRob's prime years, we may have had one or two more :lobt2: . And if not for the lottery balls dropping TDuncan into our lap, we'd have never seen the four :lobt2: that we did.

Prediction: Attendance will start declining the next few years and S.A. will no longer have a pro basketball team in 5 years. Holt & Co. will sell out to some rich foreigner who will then move the team to a larger market. Of course, by that time, the country will be in shambles and society will be worse off than it is now, if you can imagine that. :depressed

silverblk mystix
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
It's over. The FO had pinned the future on the 2010 free agent class. When the economy tanked and Splitter stayed overseas, and the FO put all their chips in with RJefferson, which didn't work and now we see it won't work, the window shut. With the ownership we have, the brief dynasty we had has come and gone...enjoy it b/c that's all she wrote.

Had it not been for cheap ownership during DRob's prime years, we may have had one or two more :lobt2: . And if not for the lottery balls dropping TDuncan into our lap, we'd have never seen the four :lobt2: that we did.

Prediction: Attendance will start declining the next few years and S.A. will no longer have a pro basketball team in 5 years. Holt & Co. will sell out to some rich foreigner who will then move the team to a larger market. Of course, by that time, the country will be in shambles and society will be worse off than it is now, if you can imagine that. :depressed

What a rosy outlook....do you have a lot of close friends?

gee I wonder why not...:lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2010, 09:13 AM
fck its simple

sign splitter,
sf veteran to LLE...cmon matt barnes

we have to get pass the lakers b4 worrying about what shit comes out east

Darkwaters
07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I thought the Spurs were owned by a congolmerate of corporations in the San Antonio area that agreed to support the team and keep it in the small market. It's the same way the OKC franchise is set up. Sure, Holt has the largest share of ownership, but hes hardly the end all be all.

spursfan1000
07-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Spurs are aging, teams are getting more experienced like the Blazers and Thunder. I think the window is over, last year was the last year for us to win IMO. I just don't think even if we made it all the way to the finals that Spurs could beat a team like the Heat, who have Lebron,Wade and Bosh. Considering that both Spurs and Heat met up, I don't even believe we have a chance against the champs LA, but I guess anything can happen?

anakha
07-09-2010, 09:30 AM

so is rj coming back if he does i say fuck the spurs until he is off this team

Error, does not compute.

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Spurs fans just don't realize how spoiled they are year after year to even have the POSSIBILITY of winning the championship.

Miami? Pffft. They might be guaranteed a championship if those three could actually play 80 minutes each. They still have to hire 9 or 10 other players with pocket change.

bigfan
07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Lets sign Splitter, re-sign RJ and see if you all feel the same way.

Seventyniner
07-09-2010, 10:14 AM

At least that last part is right.

SenorSpur
07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
An addendum to my earlier post, Splitter can and should be a wonderful addition to the frontline - assuming the Spurs can come to terms with him. However at the start of the season, if all the Spurs have to show for their offseason efforts is resigning RJ and Bonner (God forbid) - the Spurs championship window is officially closed.

DrSteffo
07-09-2010, 10:22 AM
No.

bigzak25
07-09-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_3XvDE05M&feature=related#t=01m26s

When the going gets tough!

The tough get going!

Where's the Spirit? Where's the guts?

This could be the greatest offseason of our lives.

But your acting like its the worst!

Lakers! Dead! Celtics! Dead! Heat?! Dead!

LETS DO IT!!!!!!!
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

mudyez
07-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Can we play the followijng lineup right until mid february?

Splitter
Blair
RJ
Hill
Parker
(should get us at about nearly 50%, doesnt it?)

then trade Parker and RJ for better players and go with this fresh lineup to make a run?

Dyess/Splitter(then somehow experienced)
Timmy/Blair
our unbeateatebal tribble double every evening SF, that someone trew at us for RJ and Parkers expiring
Manu
Hill

???

no??

...so its shut!

AFBlue
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
If we trade tony for the right pieces, we still got a chance.

I'd have to see who the "right pieces" are, but I honestly think that NOT trading Parker keeps the window open. Parker, when healthy and fresh, can be the most dominant player on the court...and with an aging Duncan and Ginobili, they'll need his fresh legs now more than ever.

bigzak25
07-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Splitter
Blair
RJ
Hill
Parker

then trade Parker and RJ for better players and go with this fresh lineup to make a run?

Timmy/Blair
our unbeateatebal tribble double every evening SF, that someone trew at us for RJ and Parkers expiring
Manu
Hill

???

no??

...so its shut!

There's a first time for everything, so here's the roster as I see it.

Duncan
Splitter
Bonner
Hill
Parker

Blair
Manu
McDyess
Anderson
Hairston

LLE Player
Minimum Vet

Obviously an upgrade at SF, (a defensive specialist?) would be ideal and another Vet big.

That roster could win a Championship. Things have to fall in place of course, but it's a Championship caliber roster.

They gotta limit TD and Manu's minutes all year of course, and save them for SPAM.

I say keep Tony the whole season unless someone offers a blockbuster deal the Spurs just can't refuse.

Then figure out what TP wants to do at the end of the year, after the parade.

So, no, the Window is not shut.

IF the Splitter deal goes to pot, then I'll concede a bit and pray for Shaq...but we are not there yet.

DrSteffo
07-09-2010, 11:08 AM
The chances of winning the nba should be reagarded as a continuous rather than dichotomous variable since it is a matter of probabilities. Even if the probability is 1% can you say that the window is shut?

da_suns_fan
07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Yes.

Duncan is too old.

Ginobili is too old.

vander
07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
the window shut in 08 when Manu got injured and the FO didn't trade him away.

the RJ trade + Bair was like a crowbar jammed under the window and opening it up just a bit

but it wasn't enough, the wood splintered off and the window fell shut again, and this time it was sealed with the re-signing of Manu

soon the window will be barred up and the house condemned when the FO fails to trade TP and either has to let him walk next year, or pay him 2x what he's worth to stay.

Snik
07-09-2010, 12:36 PM
With the defending champs out West and a Super team brewing in Miami, and on the heels of an epic 4-game sweep to the Suns, the next 12 months do not look promising.

Despite drafting 3 outstanding young players in consecutive years, it's clear that this team, in particular its star core, are in decline. Unfortunately, the Spurs have little to no financial "wiggle room" to make free agent upgrades. The minor moves they can potentially make probably will not be enough to allow them to move past the Fakers.

Meanwhile, other teams are getting better and contenders are moving parts around in an effort to get stronger. In the past week, we've all been witnesses as to just how much other teams have "upped the ante" in the NBA arms race. Unfortunately, the Spurs have been forced to watch from the sidelines.

There's no doubt the Spurs will be a playoff team, but a serious contender for an NBA title? That's a huge leap. If the window isn't totally shut, it's closing very fast.

This.

No regrets at all though. A 4 championship run is nothing short of fantastic. Only three teams have more championships. Not bad, not bad at all. Miami has to win 3 more just to tie us.

IMO, OKC will be the biggest threat to LA in the west next season. They have the pieces, and now a little taste of the playoffs, and they are young young young...nothing but up for those guys, and, other than the Spurs, they are probably the classiest team out there.

Agloco
07-09-2010, 12:39 PM

I honestly felt that 08 was the curtain call so to speak. We were better than the Lakers that year but injuries kept the team from performing at its best during the series. I think the Spurs would have given Boston a run for their money in the Finals. That was the last legitimate shot that they had IMO.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-09-2010, 12:39 PM
If the Spurs do not win this year, it will be time for them to start rebuilding. And you know what, there is no shame in that when you consider what the Spurs have accomplished in the last decade. Look at teams like the Mavericks and Suns who will have to start rebuilding shortly. Those two teams have been in the hunt almost as long as the Spurs have and have still have nothing to show for it. The Jail Blazers, Kings, T-Wolves, Nets all had their short period of time where they were contenders for a title and they had to start rebuilding shortly after. Even the Lakers had to eventually start over after their 3-peat years. Which should make the average fan appreciate the Spurs consistency even more(even though they most likely do not).

If the Spurs keep their FO intact during their rebuilding years, I think they will have similar fortune of Blazers and Thunder. They will have to stockpile tons of young talent and trade some of it away for team needs.

timtonymanurich
07-09-2010, 12:44 PM
the window shut in 08 when Manu got injured and the FO didn't trade him away.

the RJ trade + Bair was like a crowbar jammed under the window and opening it up just a bit

but it wasn't enough, the wood splintered off and the window fell shut again, and this time it was sealed with the re-signing of Manu

soon the window will be barred up and the house condemned when the FO fails to trade TP and either has to let him walk next year, or pay him 2x what he's worth to stay.

I know you're a Spurs fan, but I can't wait for you to eat your words next June. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Chillen
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I don't doubt that a team with Duncan, Ginobili, Parker remains a threat still to win a championship. It's still a possibility, never count out the Spurs. Is it likely, perhaps not but they have to stay healthy all year and in the playoffs it's a whole new season.

AFBlue
07-09-2010, 01:47 PM
The window currently centers around the youngest of the three stars and the development of the young, supporting cast.

If Parker is traded for cap space or a non-all star player, if Parker leaves via free agency, or if Parker does not come back and dominate despite being healthy and fresh...then the window is closed.

and/or...

If Hill plateaus as a distributor and Blair does not improve beyond a "garbage man" offensively, if Splitter is ONLY an average defender and does not produce offensively in the NBA, or if James Anderson proves too unathletic to be an effective shooter/scorer at the NBA level...then the winow has closed.

Until I see that from Parker and/or the young supporting cast, I'm not prepared to say the window is closed.

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
spurs rebuilding wont be over the top like those teams who went out and overspend of tank for top picks...

spurs already have the pieces, its just a matter of signing these clowns and handin the keys to the next franchise player...duncan and ginoboli can still play from the bench if they wanted too...

we can win it this year with the current team, all we need is splitter to sign
get another center maybe rasho or shaq
then 2 defensive SFs who can hit the outside shot....

chazley
07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Honestly, I think we will be as good as Miami this upcoming season, but not as good as the Lakers if Kobe doesn't start aging like he should be.

mingus
07-09-2010, 02:38 PM
just next year, that's it. it's probably going to be the last year we see Duncan as we know him. and i doubt TP comes back the following year, just a hunch. going to be hard, but it's still open, even if slightly. weirder things have happened.

Texas_Ranger
07-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Bonner is back, so yes!

mingus
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
An addendum to my earlier post, Splitter can and should be a wonderful addition to the frontline - assuming the Spurs can come to terms with him. However at the start of the season, if all the Spurs have to show for their offseason efforts is resigning RJ and Bonner (God forbid) - the Spurs championship window is officially closed.

sad but true.

Blackjack
07-09-2010, 02:48 PM
http://celticshub.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/09bonner.jpg

mexicanjunior
07-09-2010, 02:52 PM
If the Bonner signing is true...it is slammed shut and nailed closed.

mingus
07-09-2010, 02:54 PM
im just worred as hell we HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING lately on Splitter. it leads me to believe there's no deal close b/w to the two.

beachwood
07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I think is the first time this decade where I felt we have no shot at winning a title. The team as currently constructed will have a hell of a time beating elite and younger teams.

We will remain competitive I'm sure, but with the resigning of Bonner, and barring any blockbuster trades, the window is shut.

But I still hope.

Death In June
07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Obviously it has. They were swept by the suns last season, and they have no prospects this seaosn outside of splitter, rj, and matt fucking bonner. In other words, the status quo and splitter. And if you think splitter is enough to make any sort of difference by himself, you're out of your fucking mind.

clubalien
07-09-2010, 03:43 PM
the only way our window shuts is if we resign bonner

DrSteffo
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Ok so ppl still don't understand this is a matter of probabilities and beleive ok if event X happens then all of a sudden we have no chance?

We can only do our best right? If we improve our team that chance will improve no? Is 4% better than 2 %?

Agloco
07-09-2010, 04:20 PM

Splitter
Blair
RJ
Hill
Parker

Timmy/Blair
Manu
Hill

???

no??

...so its shut!

Ahhh yes, it's all so simple........:lol

Fresh lineup indeed. :lmao

Yub yub......it be shut. :depressed

Obstructed_View
07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Window shut.

wut
07-09-2010, 05:13 PM
If you define the window being open as having a good chance to win, then yes the window is shut.

Having said that, it's not impossible for the Spurs to win a championship. If Splitter turns out to be solid and the team gels better defensively; it wouldn't be impossible for them to beat teams that go in over-confident. Duncan, Parker and Manu are all still all-star caliber players when it counts. The key is to get solid consistent effort from the other guys.

But yeh window is pretty much shut....it's not exactly the time to go around bragging how great the Spurs are; because they're arguably not even a top5 team anymore...and haven't been for 3 years.

wut
07-09-2010, 05:13 PM
If you define the window being open as having a good chance to win, then yes the window is shut.

Having said that, it's not impossible for the Spurs to win a championship. If Splitter turns out to be solid and the team gels better defensively; it wouldn't be impossible for them to beat teams that go in over-confident. Duncan, Parker and Manu are all still all-star caliber players when it counts. The key is to get solid consistent effort from the other guys.

But yeh window is pretty much shut....it's not exactly the time to go around bragging how great the Spurs are; because they're arguably not even a top5 team anymore...and haven't been for 3 years.

silverblk mystix
07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
...not quite...not yet...

but if the spurs re-sign BONNER

...then the window is SEALED SHUT.

...well...

why am I NOT fuckin' surprised???

Tiago or not....the fuckin window is slammed shut

fuck pop & rc

slick'81
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
lol bonner at 4 years will shut any window tighter than shit

underdawg
07-09-2010, 05:22 PM
when did a "stretch 4" take priority over defense?

CaptainLate
07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I thought the Spurs were owned by a congolmerate of corporations in the San Antonio area that agreed to support the team and keep it in the small market. It's the same way the OKC franchise is set up. Sure, Holt has the largest share of ownership, but hes hardly the end all be all.

As the economy goes down and with it attendance, they'll sell out to the whoever, regardless of any "agreement" to keep the team in S.A. As always, it all come$ down to the bottom line: :greedy :greedy: greedy :greedy

rascal
07-09-2010, 08:55 PM

The only all star is Duncan. Parker needs to get healthy and back to form and he may again be an all star but right now he is not, Manu will never be an all star again.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
However at the start of the season, if all the Spurs have to show for their offseason efforts is resigning RJ and Bonner (God forbid) - the Spurs championship window is officially closed.

Done and done!

Creation88
07-09-2010, 09:12 PM
i just realized and felt for the first time that it's shut closed. bonner/jefferson resigning where the final nails. we have the same roster going forward and Tiago/Anderson are not enough to overtake the Lakers.

i am literally depressed.

slick'81
07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
i just realized and felt for the first time that it's shut closed. bonner/jefferson resigning where the final nails. we have the same roster going forward and Tiago/Anderson are not enough to overtake the Lakers.

i am literally depressed.

^^this probably going into the season with the same team+splitter no way we can win a championship unless splitter becomes an instant allstar and anderson a roty candidate.Luckily there still a small crack open in the fa window :hat -

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/keith_bogans_tourney.jpg

EIC
07-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Window shut, my ass. We've just been clubbed from behind by five dudes in ski masks, thrown into the back of a window-less van, driven to an abandoned warehouse in the desert, drug down a rickety staircase, and locked in a basement room with cement floors and cinder-block walls.

As much as I hate Bonner, even I don't think he has single-handedly destroyed the team's title chances. But the Spurs decision to re-sign him sure as shit tells you that the FO has basically given up on the team as a title contender. In hindsight it will be the one act that comes to symbolize the unequivocal end of the Spurs' title run.

kevm2
07-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Bonner for 4 years? What in the world is the FO thinking?

HarlemHeat37
07-10-2010, 03:38 AM
Just enjoy the ride and hope for the Spurs to make the best possible moves..winning a title is extremely unlikely, but you never know what kind of luck/injuries/surprises will come along the way..might as well enjoy Duncan's last few..

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2010, 03:40 AM
window closed when bonner resigned

duncan not gettin double or triple down low anymore

analyzed
07-10-2010, 04:49 AM
This is a leaque where 95 % of the time the Champions have one of the top 3 best players in the game. We used to have that in TD. Not any longer, no way can you say any of our players our top 5 or even top 10 players in the league. So unless we find away to get a top 5 player in a Spur uniform our chances are slim. ( there have been exceptions Celtics 08 and Detroit 04) , In the next 5 years I just don't see how we can get a top 5 player, were certainly no where near getting a top 3 draft pick , and even if we do, most top picks still don't end up being top players of the game ( unless your lucky and draft in 1997 or 2003. As far as getting a top 5 through free agency we simply don't have the cap space nor is SA considered as being a glamour destination. In hind sight you have to appreciate how lucky we have been with 4 rings. Considering how many franchises have multiple rings. Is it 5 ? LA , Celts, Bulls, Detriot and Houston. So let's count our blessings and hope were lucky

Jace
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Eventually Spurs fans will realize that their window slammed shut last year. Duncan is not a superstar anymore and is getting paid 20 million a year. Tony and Manu are getting older and have been injury prone. Until Duncan/Tony/Manu are traded or go elsewhere the window will be shut.

mingus
07-11-2010, 07:24 PM
the Spurs CAN win a championship if all of these things happen:
-Splitter can have a somewhat reliable post-game, and more importantly have a big impact defensively.
-Richard Jefferson is able to make 38% of his threes at least (assumming he comes back). he has to be able to space the floor next year.
-Anderson can not only hit the 3 consistently (38%), but also be a very good defensive player.
-George Hill does what he did last year offensively (maybe be a little more aggressive), but becomes the type of defender many people thought he could be.
-DeJuan Blair improves in a variety of ways.
-The Big 3 stay healthy. the health of each one has an effect on the other two, esp. if it's Tim and Manu that have to carry the load.

if all these things happen, the Spurs can win next year. it's not like asking any of those things isn't plausable. it's just not likely.

the Spurs def. won't go into next year contenders. they'll have to prove it as the year goes on bec. there's a lot that's up in the air (the things i listed).

07-11-2010, 07:57 PM
i will say most likely. people are expecting miracles from jefferson and anderson. jefferson has played good defense like what, 6 years ago? anderson might help but his NBA defense and 3 pt shooting is a question mark. any improvement from the young players will only be offset by the decreased output of the aging ginobili and duncan. injuries will once again be a problem as the big 3 get another year older. splitter coming over is too little too late and there is no guarantee that his game transfers. on top of that, spurs still have no legit perimeter wing defenders nor 3 pt shooters. too many fires to put out and not enough water.

the west has gotten weaker yes, but the most important team, the lakers, got stronger with blake. for the spurs to even have a shot, they need to either make a lopsided trade like the gasol trade, find the fountain of youth for ginobili/duncan/parker, or discover that splitter is actually a better version of pau gasol.

IknowU
07-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Easy. Make the playoffs first. Then take it from there game by game. And hope pop does miracle with the jefferson, hill and blair.

ohmwrecker
07-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't say that Steve Blake is a real difference maker. Losing Fisher will hurt more than Blake will help. Duncan and Ginobili are on the decline, but limited minutes early in the season (+ no international play for Manu) will help immensely. I expect a healthy Tony Parker to play balls to the wall in a contract year. RJ will be better from working with Pop this summer and, I believe, he has a lot to prove. Splitter will be a huge boost to the frontline, even at the lowest expectations. Hill and Blair are both hard workers with great attitudes and eager to improve. I think James Anderson will be a nice surprise. McDyess is solid. Bonner? Well, you can't win 'em all.
All in all, the Spurs are putting a vastly improved product on the floor next year and I expect improvement all around.
The window is barely cracked on a cold night in a teenager's room who is blowing bong smoke out so his parents don't smell it.

CaptainLate
07-11-2010, 08:41 PM
What a rosy outlook....do you have a lot of close friends?

gee I wonder why not...:lol

You are correct, I don't have many close friends...but Realists rarely do. :wakeup

ohmwrecker
07-11-2010, 09:02 PM
You are correct, I don't have many close friends...but weirdo, shut-in, conspiracy theorist, religious, wack jobs rarely do. :wakeup

Fify.

DPG21920
07-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Slammed.

Chomag
07-21-2010, 08:42 PM
the Spurs CAN win a championship if all of these things happen:
-Splitter can have a somewhat reliable post-game, and more importantly have a big impact defensively.
-Richard Jefferson is able to make 38% of his threes at least (assumming he comes back). he has to be able to space the floor next year.
-Anderson can not only hit the 3 consistently (38%), but also be a very good defensive player.
-George Hill does what he did last year offensively (maybe be a little more aggressive), but becomes the type of defender many people thought he could be.
-DeJuan Blair improves in a variety of ways.
-The Big 3 stay healthy. the health of each one has an effect on the other two, esp. if it's Tim and Manu that have to carry the load.

if all these things happen, the Spurs can win next year. it's not like asking any of those things isn't plausable. it's just not likely.

the Spurs def. won't go into next year contenders. they'll have to prove it as the year goes on bec. there's a lot that's up in the air (the things i listed).

Man, thats a whole lot of "Ifs" lol

ceperez
07-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Looking at the positive side of things, the Celtics who are on average older than the Spurs were able to take the Lakers to a 7th game. They could have won that last game too.

The Celtics I believe are comparable to the Spurs. However the main difference is the Celtics have a better defensive presence with the likes of Perkins at the Center. I guess when he went down in the Finals, that was the end of the Celtics.

Still the Spurs like the Celtics have a really strong and efficient half court game which incidentally is what wins playoff games. The Spurs were able to beat a quite talented Mavericks team. However, the bad thing is the Spurs couldn't stop the quicker and sharper shooting Suns.

This video highlights the big problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuBQ0ARo0Eo

Spurs can't win without its patented defense or its 3 point shooting. These two were missing against the Suns.

senorglory
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
I like our roster. I'm still a fan. We are playoff bound. Injuries/health will determine how deep we go. Spurs have had 20+ years of success, with only one lone season in which we didn't make the playoffs, and that season yielded us Duncan in the draft. Current odds for the Spurs to win the championship is at 25:1.

rr2418
07-21-2010, 10:51 PM
YES!! Spurs window is locked and the key is lost in the woods! It will take alot of people(good players, draft picks, FA's, etc.) to find that key. Work your magic FO!!