PDA

View Full Version : pipe dream - can we get carmelo?

spectator
07-09-2010, 04:15 AM
ok. i think we all need to dream, because hope fades last. i did not check the salaries for fear that we may not pull this off financially speaking. however, assuming splitter comes in and we get at least to the semi-finals again, and we look like a solid team missing one great player, do the city of san antonio and the spurs organization have enough to convince carmelo to come and play for our team next year?

i assume this would only be possible if we do not keep parker and knowing that mcdyess said he may retire at the end of this coming season. would that bring enough cap flexibility?

we have seen stars decline new york and brooklin and more money to play for a serious championship contender. if the spurs would have made a good run at the championship this coming year, is that enough to make carmelo get here?

pipe dreams are fun!!!

tp2021
07-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Put down the pipe

benefactor
07-09-2010, 04:23 AM
lol

Chieflion
07-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Crack dream.

BadOne
07-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Money wise, it might work if we moved Tony, however there'd be no significant chance he'd sign an extension with us. The moment his contract expired, he'd be out of here just like Parker might.

Puff, puff, pass...

sa_butta
07-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Money wise, it might work if we moved Tony, however there'd be no significant chance he'd sign an extension with us. The moment his contract expired, he'd be out of here just like Parker might.

Puff, puff, pass...
I think moving Tony would be a mistake...Would you be ready to hand over the reigns to George Hill after he got torched by Nash??
Even if it meant bringing in Carmelo we still need a true point to handle the competition in the west...with guys like CP3, Nash and Williams.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2010, 08:16 AM
No, we can't get Carmelo. How about Richard Jefferson instead? Too bad, it's what you're getting.

BadOne
07-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I think moving Tony would be a mistake...Would you be ready to hand over the reigns to George Hill after he got torched by Nash??
Even if it meant bringing in Carmelo we still need a true point to handle the competition in the west...with guys like CP3, Nash and Williams.

Very true. Too bad there wasn't a decent PG in the draft we could've moved on.

sa_butta
07-09-2010, 08:43 AM
No, we can't get Carmelo. How about Richard Jefferson instead? Too bad, it's what you're getting.
Honestly we are lucky if RJ comes back, if he was to leave who will fill his void?? Rookie James Anderson?? unproven in the NBA...Ill take my chances with RJ...he can only get better.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Honestly we are lucky if RJ comes back, if he was to leave who will fill his void?? Rookie James Anderson?? unproven in the NBA...Ill take my chances with RJ...he can only get better.

No doubt. I agree with you. RJ isn't ideal, but there isn't a better option available.

07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
short answer: no. long answer: no.

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I do the trade, we need a thug on this team who runs away in a fight

silverblk mystix
07-09-2010, 09:10 AM
...sir...please...

take two steps back...and

DROP THE CHALUPA!

Lebowski Brickowski
07-09-2010, 09:18 AM
No doubt. I agree with you. RJ isn't ideal, but there isn't a better option available.

There isn't a 3-5 mil/yr long, sf who can defend and hit the 3?

coyotes_geek
07-09-2010, 09:25 AM

With the MLE being used to sign Splitter, a $3-$5 mil/yr SF is out of the Spurs price range. BAE is the best they can do, and that's only $2 mil.

spursfan1000
07-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Crack dream.

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2010, 09:26 AM
keep fkn rj, and sign barnes to LLE

i doubt barnes will take the vet or minimum or else he can just goto miami and play with them, we need a thug on this team that keeps the other players from gettin physical with us

Seventyniner
07-09-2010, 09:37 AM
With the MLE being used to sign Splitter, a $3-$5 mil/yr SF is out of the Spurs price range. BAE is the best they can do, and that's only $2 mil.

Do you think that RJ for a trade exception is now out of the question?

Flux451
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Crack Pipe Dream

coyotes_geek
07-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Do you think that RJ for a trade exception is now out of the question?

It's not out of the question, but I don't think it's a very likely scenario. Never did. You only get the trade exception if you can send RJ to a team under the cap who wouldn't have to send any salary back your way. To do that you need to have some team with cap room have interest in RJ, and have RJ have interest in that team. Thus far, there's no signs whatsoever that those two conditions are lining up.

Even if you do get the TE, you're only half way there. You've still got to go out and convince some team that it's in their best interests to literally just give away a quality player. That's not going to be easy.

You can S&T RJ to a team over the cap and get a player in return, but should anyone here get excited over trading RJ in return for some player who another team would rather have RJ instead of?

I'd have no complaints whatsoever if the Spurs find a way to pull it off, but I just don't see it.

DrSteffo
07-09-2010, 10:03 AM
No but I wouldn't mind smoke that stuff u are smokin

ohmwrecker
07-09-2010, 10:06 AM
It's going to be a terrible thread kind of day. I can feel it.

Dream Weaver
07-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Crack Pipe Dream

:lol

Agloco
07-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Wrong question. How will SA pay anyone besides RJ 3-5 mil/year?

Seventyniner
07-09-2010, 01:20 PM
It's not out of the question, but I don't think it's a very likely scenario. Never did. You only get the trade exception if you can send RJ to a team under the cap who wouldn't have to send any salary back your way. To do that you need to have some team with cap room have interest in RJ, and have RJ have interest in that team. Thus far, there's no signs whatsoever that those two conditions are lining up.

Even if you do get the TE, you're only half way there. You've still got to go out and convince some team that it's in their best interests to literally just give away a quality player. That's not going to be easy.

You can S&T RJ to a team over the cap and get a player in return, but should anyone here get excited over trading RJ in return for some player who another team would rather have RJ instead of?

I'd have no complaints whatsoever if the Spurs find a way to pull it off, but I just don't see it.

I see your point. It seemed like the Nets or Clippers were possibilities for RJ, but you're probably right that they're unlikely.

The main use of a TE might be at the trade deadline, if a high payroll team is underachieving and looking to dump salary. Chris Paul is a pipe dream, but Iguodala, Varejao, or even Granger may not be. It might cost Hill, Blair, and/or future picks, but there should be possibilities.