PDA

View Full Version : Comparing trios - James + Bosh + Wade

Mavs<Spurs
07-09-2010, 07:02 AM
They have not yet played together in the NBA, but based upon what we have seen of them and know about them thus far, how will this trio compare with other trios, esp Boston's ?

We have seen them play together in the Olympics and that was impressive. This trio has the potential to be better than the Boston trio. No, not KG, Pierce, and Allen. They are overwhelmingly likely, imo, to be better than that trio. No, I think that they have a very good chance of being better than Bird, McHale and Parrish. The problem for the new trio is that they must win multiple championships to earn the right to be favorably compared to that trio. Bird was, in my opinion, the third best basketball player of all time, MJ being first and Magic being second. Obviously, Bird was one of the best passers that this league has ever seen. Kevin McHale was "a master on the block" and one of the very best post up players of all time. However, both McHale and Parrish were post up players.

On the other hand, the trio of LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh play very different positions. Bosh is more of a perimeter oriented forward than a post up player, but given that Wade and James are at their best while penetrating and driving to the basket, this is probably a very good thing. They also have the shooting of Mike Miller to add to the team. James, Wade, and Bosh are all unselfish players who should complement each other very well. Bosh's added muscle will help strengthen the team, but their weakpoint is probably defending the rim. However, James and Wade are outstanding defensive players and Bosh is a very good rebounder. James' best attribute, imo, seems to be as a passer. When set, he can make shots. He is a tremendous athlete and good rebounder. However, his court vision and his ball handling are what sets him apart. Having players like Wade and Bosh to look for will magnify this skill that he has refined.
all 3 are young and in the prime of their careers. Prima facie, the Miami Heat are the team to beat in the league. I certainly can't blame LeBron for this move which was not for money, but to win rings. And I think that they are highly likely to win multiple championships, until they get bored from being so much better than anybody else.

What are your thoughts ?

How do they compare to our trio of Tim, Tony, and Manu ?

Timmy, imo, is one of the five best players of all time. Timmy was at his best in the 2003 and 2005 championships. Manu was at his best in 2005. Manu is an outstanding shooter, great driver, and tremendous distributor of the basketball. Tony is one of the best penetrating guards in the NBA. Tony was at his best in the 2007 NBA Finals. His outside shot is now consistent and he destroys the defense of other teams by getting into the paint, almost at will. To me, there was a rather large difference between the Tony of 2005 and the Tony of 2007. The difference was Tony's new ability to hit the midrange jumper. He was no longer the last member of the trio. For me, it was the greatness of Tim Duncan that best explains the four rings that the Spurs have, even in 2007. There was quite a bit of variation in what the other Spurs brought to the table during the Spurs championship runs of 2003, 2005, and 2007. On the other hand, all 3 of the Heat players are in their prime right now and will play their best basketball right now. Still, I certainly rate Tim Duncan over LeBron James by a wide margin as basketball players, judged by their careers thus far.

jacobdrj
07-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Bird McHale Parish
SF, PF, C

Wade, LeBron, Bosh
SG, SF, PF

Not exactly the same thing. Even the Lakers:

Kobe, Odom, Gasol
SG, X, C

I mean, it is about size. Not that this new uber-heat team can't win anything, but the dominance might not be there, not like those 80's Celtics...

Mad respect to the trio. Getting max deals AND playing together. James has it in him to swallow perceived pride and play to his strengths? Ya know, passing? Wow...

In a side note, IMHO, Parish was overrated. He was carnied along by Bird and McHale... Mostly Bird...

21_Blessings
07-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Healthy Bynum > Rupaul

Kobe > Usurper James

Wade > Pau

Maybe the Heat can sneak in a quickie during the lockout year. But the Lakers still likely to three-beat-that-ass next season.

dallasmavsnfuego214
07-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Healthy Bynum > Rupaul

crofl