PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Your hypocrisy is notable.

Cry Havoc
07-09-2010, 10:23 AM
First of all, I'd like to say that this will not be a piece expressly defending LeBron James or his recent decision to move to Miami. I think the move could have been much more tactfully executed than what James chose to do, especially considering the scores of loyal fans in Cleveland who have to deal with yet another heartache. But basketball is a business, and LeBron is making a decision about business, which involves money and winning. There will probably be a lot more of the latter now that he has more All-Star Games among a single teammate (and that's either Bosh OR Wade) than in all his time in Cleveland, the lumbering silhouette of Shaq notwithstanding. Even so, pulling the guts out of an entire city (and state) is never an admirable thing to do.

The ire of this piece however, is directed directly at the "Total Sports Network". It means like, sports, in Spanish, or something, right? In this case, the unique situation this "Decision Day" program has presented us with is nothing short of a spectacle to match Disney's best anniversary display. The entire sporting world, especially here in the States, was talking about one thing. Chances are if you're on Facebook, you saw people who never post, and do not even care about sports as a whole talking about where LeBron might go. Does Facebook matter in the world of sports as a whole? Of course not. The point is that, much like the USA's recent run in the World Cup, ESPN hyped LeBron so much that even the average person who doesn't watch sports knew about it.

That really does seem to be the going mantra for the network that first brought us "Sports 24/7" these days. Much like MTV lost it's way and needed to create MTV2 to give themselves a network that actually, you know, played music videos, ESPN seems to have devolved into a continuing volley of Sportscenter reruns, daily talk shows, and the occasional athletic contest. It's similarly fitting that if you wanted to watch the World Cup this year, chances are you had to tune in on ESPN3 via the internet to get streaming footage of games. Because obviously no one would want to watch a non-US game on the television! I would rather watch last night's PTI, or Stuart Scott blaring out half-ebonics while attempting futilely to narrate the highlights of a Red Sox game from behind the SC desk.

Yes, I'm laying this, all of this (well, we'll say 95% of it, anyway) squarely at your feet, ESPN. You did this. You virtually gave birth to this situation, fostered it, gave it all the care it needed, and now here we are. Yesterday, analysts on Around the Horn openly criticized LeBron James for having an ego about himself. Nevermind the fact that the originator of said comment (who shall remain nameless, Bob Ryan) typically seems to have a pretty high opinion of his own sports-writing, overweight self, and god forbid Jay Mariotti ever call someone an egotist. The fact that someone employed wholly or in-part by ESPN could ever find themselves critical of LeBron for thinking too much of himself is so hilarious it shouldn't even need mentioning. It's akin to CNN/MSNBC/etc. being hypercritical of BP for the massive oil spill, or Saturday Night Live angrily berating the existence of Sarah Palin. Can you actually be that irate about someone who landed you more job security than you had prior to their existence?

Only in this case, it's far worse. LeBron was 16 years old the first time a basketball game of his was broadcast on national TV. The source? Yep. ESPN. A magazine cover before he graduates high school? Yep, ESPN as well, although SI can also be guilty of this. Let's pose this question from another angle: How many basketball fans did NOT know the name of LeBron James before he turned 18? The number there would probably check in at under a single percentage point. SI smattered a huge, "Chosen One" cover across their issue, and ESPN stated that LeBron (along with Sebastian Telfair) were about to "rule the baskeball world".

Think about it. You're 16. Many men haven't achieved their full height by this age, to say nothing of the emotional maturity that usually comes 5-15 years later (and never for some of the more unfortunate members of the gender). You're already being touted as the next MJ, be it Jordan or Johnson. You're very soon going to be worth $100,000,000+. You have a new Hummer, with more exotic cars to follow in the future, you have women undoubtedly throwing themselves at you, and you have unrivaled athletic prowess. Hell, how many of you can look back in high school and find massive egos with the jocks that were only "decent" enough at sports to start on their varsity team? But in this case, this starter is good enough to have NBA players attending his high school games. Who can honestly say that all this would be happening, while on national TV, without a dramatic effect on the character of said individual?

I'm not excusing LeBron. It's obvious that "the King" thinks a lot of himself (so did Jordan and Bird, and more recently, Kobe and Shaq), and it's an ego that has an ugly side, such as when he walked off the court without shaking the hands of the team that beat him. But that is one of the unfortunate costs of having too much pride. You cannot accept that you're beatable. The entire sports world has been your playground for nearly a decade now, and this entire time people have been telling you that you're a God, or at least the second coming of a guy who's already got a statue outside of the United Center.

The issue I have is that ESPN is attempting to act like LeBron pulled a fast one on us. Like they didn't see this coming. As if it's a shock that a guy who's been talked about virtually every second of every day somewhere in the country on a sports channel or ESPN radio thinks a lot of himself now. The thing is, you tell a human being he's superior to other people enough, and he's eventually going to start asking for your piety. And what is ESPN to do but cave, and give LeBron his run of their primetime programming at 9 PM for a "Decision Day" special?

So now LeBron is gone. To Miami. A city that will probably fit his tastes much better. The pre-decision day backlash in the media was palpable. Even outside of Cleveland, where it's understandable, any manner of talk show hosts and sports analysts are rushing to chip in their two cents about LeBron. Many are criticizing him for hyping his decision. Others are ridiculing his legacy for departing Ohio, his home state. So yeah, there's a point to be made that it's a questionable decision. But they who criticize him also have their checks stamped because of people like him, and Terrel Owens, and Brett Favre. How can you be so critical of something you depend on? Sports are a business, after all. You only have to look as far as the mirror to remind yourselves of that.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Just another case in a long litany of such of symbolism over substance.

Cosell warned of this shortly before his death.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Very well written. Can't say I disagree with anything.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Kudos on a very well written piece, but we're the ones who keep tuning in to watch their crap. The joke is on us, not ESPN. Just watching the games isn't enough for us any more. We want soap opera crap about our athletes and ESPN is more than happy to give it to us. Sure, we like to get outraged over it and denounce such theatrics, but that doesn't keep us from watching it. ESPN doesn't give a damn whether or not we like it as long as we watch it. And make no mistake, we're going to keep watching it.

ffadicted
07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
tl;dr

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2010, 12:16 PM
espn better hire some writers from the wwe

Cry Havoc
07-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Kudos on a very well written piece, but we're the ones who keep tuning in to watch their crap. The joke is on us, not ESPN. Just watching the games isn't enough for us any more. We want soap opera crap about our athletes and ESPN is more than happy to give it to us. Sure, we like to get outraged over it and denounce such theatrics, but that doesn't keep us from watching it. ESPN doesn't give a damn whether or not we like it as long as we watch it. And make no mistake, we're going to keep watching it.

This is nothing new. Sports have always been this way. ESPN is not to blame, neither is James. We create our own Gods, and once we're tired of them, we destroy them. It's human nature, and we love it. We can go all the way back to Jack Johnson flaunting white women in the face of racist America. The media built that up. Babe Ruth, Joe Louis, Marciano, Jacki Robinson, Ali, on and on all the way to our most recent with Tiger and now James. The media built this up for us. Our role is just as big as theirs. We buy the tickets to the freak show, and we love it.

I really don't have a choice. I like watching basketball, and I like watching it at a high level. Unless there's a league I'm not aware of that's equal to the NBA with no theatrics (cue Kill Bill Pana spooging all over himself), it's either watch the NBA and put up with the shenanigans and be a sheep following the herd, or watch only college hoops.

Die hard basketball fans don't tune in for the theatre of it all. The Spurs-Pistons series was probably almost all hardcore hoop fans outside of the competing cities. That's what they need (drama) to lure the average person who's on the fence about whether or not to watch the NBA. There are a lot of people in America who only turn on and seriously watch the news for 30 minutes-plus if there is a 9/11, a Katrina, a massive oil spill. Just like that, there are people who will only watch the NBA if there is something that reminds them of a soap opera. ESPN (and the NBA in general) is selling a product that's part athletic competition and part reality show, and then bringing people on their programs that denounce said product. I watch because I have no other option and I love basketball. However, I'm not going to run out and spend thousands of dollars per year on NBA products and tickets, either.

Killakobe81
07-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I really don't have a choice. I like watching basketball, and I like watching it at a high level. Unless there's a league I'm not aware of that's equal to the NBA with no theatrics (cue Kill Bill Pana spooging all over himself), it's either watch the NBA and put up with the shenanigans and be a sheep following the herd, or watch only college hoops.

Die hard basketball fans don't tune in for the theatre of it all. The Spurs-Pistons series was probably almost all hardcore hoop fans outside of the competing cities. That's what they need (drama) to lure the average person who's on the fence about whether or not to watch the NBA. There are a lot of people in America who only turn on and seriously watch the news for 30 minutes-plus if there is a 9/11, a Katrina, a massive oil spill. Just like that, there are people who will only watch the NBA if there is something that reminds them of a soap opera. ESPN (and the NBA in general) is selling a product that's part athletic competition and part reality show, and then bringing people on their programs that denounce said product. I watch because I have no other option and I love basketball. However, I'm not going to run out and spend thousands of dollars per year on NBA products and tickets, either.

Wow Havoc GREAT post.
ESPN has become almost devoid of ALMOST all true hard-core analysis ...

they feature Skip, woody, Legler etc so they can make very controversil statements and get more people to view and argue.

ESPN used to be about sports first, shows like NfL matchup, the old NFL countdown and primetime ...

now much like MTV they have lost their way ...

Is ESPN the root of all evil? No ... but they have definitely become more sports sensationalism than sports journalism ...

Havoc if you are not 1st team all Spurs talk ...you should be ...one of the better posts i have seen on here in a LONG while.

Props.