PDA

View Full Version : Jack McCallum: INSIDE THE NBA (with reference to 2000 offseason)

jmard5
07-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Despite the amount of publicity being generated for the NBA, I can only imagine how embarrassing these weeks must have been for the old-schoolers in the league office. The commissioner fines Mavericks owner Mark Cuban $100,000 for making the utterly obvious suggestion that he would like to have LeBron on his team, yet James, Wade and Bosh can pick up the whole Eastern Conference in their hands and mold it like a lump of clay. Since the Finals ended with the Lakers' victory -- hey, remember them? -- it hasn't been a league; it's been a summer camp for the marquee masters of the universe, the adult version of AAU ball.

What I kept longing for was the offseason of 2000, the free-agent summer that truly shaped what happened in the NBA for the next decade. Oh, you don't remember it? That's when Tim Duncan chose to stay in San Antonio, a decision he announced -- and I'm probably not far from the truth here -- by putting down the car magazine he was reading, dialing Gregg Popovich and saying, "Pop, I'm coming back."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jack_mccallum/07/08/lebron.free.agency/index.html

ajh18
07-09-2010, 12:40 PM
This whole thing has had me wondering what that Orlando team could have been like if Timmy had gone there and Grant Hill had been healthy. Whille as a Spurs fant I'm really thankful Tim didnt leave, I wonder if Tim Duncan, healthy Hill and TMac from 2000 would have been as strong a core as this Miami team?

I'm leaning towards yes. Grant Hill, before the injuries, was an absolute beast, incredibly versatile. Tim was in full "best PF of all time" mode, and McGrady was a similar threat to Lebron/Wade as a scorer/rebounder/assist guy. Plus, those three didn't have near the egos of Bosh/Wade/Lebron. I think I'd have taken that threesome over this one (again, if Hill hadnt been hurt).

Blackjack
07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
McGrady was able to go to Orlando because Duncan turned them down. He was the consolation prize.

sa_butta
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
McGrady was able to go to Orlando because Duncan turned them down. He was the consolation prize.
Some prize they got....

smrattler
07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Jack's got the story wrong. I'm sure someone can post it, how Tim told Pop at lunch or something. First, straight faced that he was going to Orlando... or maybe something like "I'm sorry, but I've decided to...". Just fu*king with Pop and Pop was whiter than usual, looking like he was going to throw up. It was a funny story I remember.

Cane
07-09-2010, 01:01 PM
This whole thing has had me wondering what that Orlando team could have been like if Timmy had gone there and Grant Hill had been healthy. Whille as a Spurs fant I'm really thankful Tim didnt leave, I wonder if Tim Duncan, healthy Hill and TMac from 2000 would have been as strong a core as this Miami team?

I'm leaning towards yes. Grant Hill, before the injuries, was an absolute beast, incredibly versatile. Tim was in full "best PF of all time" mode, and McGrady was a similar threat to Lebron/Wade as a scorer/rebounder/assist guy. Plus, those three didn't have near the egos of Bosh/Wade/Lebron. I think I'd have taken that threesome over this one (again, if Hill hadnt been hurt).

Duncan would've destroyed the East back in his prime and it would've been a lock for Duncan vs Shaq in the Finals. That was a weak conference imo until the championship Pistons came around. If that Orlando core would've been healthy, LA wouldn't have a 3 peat. That team > Miami Thrice