PDA

View Full Version : Nogueira-Mir Rematch To Headline UFC 119

dbreiden83080
07-09-2010, 12:54 PM
"First the co-main event, now the main event has been confirmed for UFC 119.

The Nogueira brothers will compete on the same card in September, as Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has agreed to meet Frank Mir in the main event fight for the Sept 25 card expected to take place in Indianapolis at the Conseco Fieldhouse.

The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the fight. UFC president Dana White also confirmed the fight when speaking with MMAFighting.com on Thursday.

Frank Mir (13-5) last fought in March when he suffered a TKO to Shane Carwin at UFC 111, while also losing his bid for a rematch with nemesis Brock Lesnar. Following the fight, Mir was rumored in several fights, and also discussed the possibility of cutting weight all the way down to 205lbs.

It looks like those plans have been put on hold and Mir will instead face the man he TKO’d in December 2008 in fellow “Ultimate Fighter” coach Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

The former Pride heavyweight champion, Nogueira (32-6-1) moved to the UFC in 2007, and went on to become the interim heavyweight champion before losing the belt to Mir.

The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt has had some ups and downs of late. After a dominant performance over Randy Couture at UFC 102, Nogueira looked like he was on the fast track back to the top before running into Cain Velasquez at UFC 110 in Australia.

Velasquez was just too fast on his feet, and too accurate with his strikes, and Nogueira suffered his second TKO loss in his last three fights. Hoping to rebound in Indianapolis, Nogueira will face an old foe in Mir in the night’s main event.

The bout between Nogueira and Mir will head the UFC 119 card, while Nogueira’s twin brother Antonio Rogerio Nogueira faces Ryan Bader in the night’s co-main event as first announced on MMAWeekly.com on Thursday."

Announced matchups

Heavyweight bout: Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
Light Heavyweight bout: Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs. Ryan Bader
Lightweight bout: Sean Sherk vs. Evan Dunham
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs. Jeremy Stephens
Middleweight bout: C.B. Dollaway vs. Joe Doerksen

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-mmaweek070810

dallaskd
07-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Nog wins this..

CubanSucks
07-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm goin with Mir. I think we underestimate Mir because he got pounded out by Lesnar and Carwin, who can do that to ANYONE

Stringer_Bell
07-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Before the Cain fight, I'd have gone with Big Nog...but both fighters are coming off a loss, and Hulk Mir still scares me. Hulk Mir by guillotine.

dbreiden83080
07-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Mir's gonna pick him apart on the feet again.

Nog's timing is not there anymore and his chin is gone..

angelbelow
07-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I wanna root for Nog, but Im not too sure who pulls this one out..

desflood
07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm goin with Mir. I think we underestimate Mir because he got pounded out by Lesnar and Carwin, who can do that to ANYONE
I always thought Mir was overrated. I'd go with Nogueira.

The way this card looks so far, Zuffa couldn't pay me enough to watch it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Weak card, you couldn't pay me to watch this one.