PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Good money after bad results: A Sonic boom

timvp
05-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Buck Harvey: Good money after bad results: A Sonic boom
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA051605.1D.COL.BKNharvey.27b0da3f5.html

SEATTLE — The Spurs haven't lost the series.

Just some stature and credibility. Playing as if outfitted with The Original Whizzinator can have that effect.

They can salvage everything this week, assuming Tony Parker returns from his Laker-like nightmare. But what is likely to remain — especially after the Sonics guards starred — is an investment the Spurs made last summer.

Look at the books, then the stat sheet. Brent Barry earns more than the combined salaries of Luke Ridnour, Antonio Daniels and Damien Wilkins.

When is the last time the Spurs' front office has looked this bad?

Gregg Popovich doesn't publicly question that. He wondered Sunday, instead, how the Spurs could be "un-aggressive, sloppy and uninspired."

Here's a suggestion: Practice might help.

Last Friday, the Spurs didn't even watch some film. The Sonics meanwhile went through a full workout both Friday and Saturday.

The Sonics went through some pain pills, too. They lost Rashard Lewis about a week after they lost Vladimir Radmanovic.

Naturally, Popovich saw this as a terrible break — for the Spurs. He called it "the worst possible scenario."

Hurt teams often react well, but the worst possible scenario for anyone other than the Sonics? Nate McMillan would laugh at that. Given a choice, he'd rather have his two 6-foot-10 shooters in uniform.

Besides, Tim Duncan said he never knew Lewis wasn't playing until he walked out for the tip, so Duncan couldn't have been overconfident. And when the Spurs overcame their 15 turnovers in the first half? When they came out in the second half to tie the game?

The Spurs were in position to erase the Sonics' wounded-tiger emotion.

But Popovich had already made another debatable decision. He elected to start Manu Ginobili in the second half instead of Barry, and Popovich wasn't without some logic. Popovich wanted to jump on the Sonics.

It happened. Duncan started fast, and Ginobili went inside for a layup. When Ginobili later drove and passed to Duncan for a dunk, the score was tied at 54.

But about a minute later, Barry subbed for Ginobili, and Barry did this: Threw away a pass to Duncan, followed with an offensive foul, then missed a 17-footer.

By the time Ginobili rushed to check back in, the score was Sonics 66, Spurs 55.

And then? "The crowd got crazy," Ginobili said, "and (the Sonics) did, too."

What followed was a dazzling show.

Ray Allen was himself, stepping back for fluid jumpers, and Nick Collison, Danny Fortson and Reggie Evans banged.

But what changed this game were the three Sonics guards, all of whom came fast and cheap.

Ridnour, a Sonics' first-round pick, was slick and efficient. Daniels remained the steadiest Sonic in this series. And Wilkins, having scored just five points in the playoffs thus far, came up with 15 points and five steals.

In the name of Devin Brown, aren't the Sonics not only outplaying the Spurs but also outshopping them?

Wilkins is the kind of bargain the Spurs have often found, and the Sonics weren't sure in January what he was worth. They almost cut him then to save some money.

But this undrafted free agent, after asking Allen a series of questions at dinner last weekend, was ready Sunday. When Wilkins drove and defended, he gave the Sonics an edge they didn't have with Lewis.

If Brown were healthier, Popovich would counter with him.

But Sunday?

Popovich had little choice but to live with Barry.

This bothers Barry more than anyone, and it's not his fault the Spurs gave him a contract worth more than $20 million.

Still, his two-point, two-turnover, four-foul game adds to the conclusion the Spurs misspent last summer.

And weren't the signs there? After all, McMillan told Barry last summer he planned to replace him in the starting lineup with Ridnour.

Barry played with more poise in Game 3, and he might still impact a playoff game with his shooting.

It might even come on Tuesday, when the Sonics will be pressed to continue without a full roster.

That's why the Spurs haven't lost this series.

Just some money.

timvp
05-16-2005, 12:44 AM
:lol

Yeah, everyone is wrong other than Whottt.

Barry is a bust. Everyone* can see that.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Still, his two-point, two-turnover, four-foul game adds to the conclusion the Spurs misspent last summer.

And weren't the signs there? After all, McMillan told Barry last summer he planned to replace him in the starting lineup with Ridnour.

Barry played with more poise in Game 3, and he might still impact a playoff game with his shooting.

It might even come on Tuesday, when the Sonics will be pressed to continue without a full roster.

That's why the Spurs haven't lost this series.

Just some money.

That's harsh!

SPARKY
05-16-2005, 12:49 AM
Yikes. Even Buck gets it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Let the playoff scapegoating begin.

Like I said, Barry is Pop's goat for this playoff series, and Spurs fans will buy it hook, line, and sinker.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Let the playoff scapegoating begin.

Like I said, Barry is Pop's goat for this playoff series, and Spurs fans will buy it hook, line, and sinker.

So Barry is performing up to your expectations for his ~$5M per year?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-16-2005, 12:55 AM
As bad as Barry is performing, people will still bash Sjax.

Aggie Hoopsfan
I never said that. Barry is sucking. But he's not the reason we aren't defending Seattle's pick and roll worth shit.

He's also not the reason we keep forcing it into Duncan with half Seattle's team on him, or Parker keeps trying to go one on five, or Pop thinks running a high pick and roll with Nazr Mohammed is a good idea.

My point was that the character assassination in preparation for another Spurs playoff failure has begun, same shit, different player.

Tom_Foolery
Well, I thought we've been losing money since after 2003 season? (Hint: Steven A. Smith's boy)

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-16-2005, 12:56 AM
And I'm surprised they haven't started talking about Big Dog in the press, but I'm sure Pop is hoping he'll do something stupid at home Tuesday, that way if we lose they can write another smear piece like this one about Glenn.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2005, 12:58 AM
And I'm surprised they haven't started talking about Big Dog in the press, but I'm sure Pop is hoping he'll do something stupid at home Tuesday, that way if we lose they can write another smear piece like this one about Glenn.

I don't think that will happen. Pop got mad at him for a couple bad decisions in game three, but he knows his value. Barry hasn't shown his value in quite a while. I hope Game 5 is his game.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2005, 12:59 AM
The difference between Barry and Hedo is at least they gave Hedo open looks in games 3 and 4. Barry had a very Big Dog-like performance tonight but if he's going to the hoop hard that means that someone else isn't doing their job. He was paid to shoot three pointers, not to be Tony Parker's testicles. At least he understood that someone needed to penetrate and he gave an effort when nobody else would.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2005, 01:01 AM
I don't think that will happen. Pop got mad at him for a couple bad decisions in game three, but he knows his value. Barry hasn't shown his value in quite a while. I hope Game 5 is his game.
Don't forget about his vomitous performance tonight. He's back to jacking up shots and falling asleep on defense or just fouling to get out of having to work. If he does it again I'm going to start dusting off my "I told you so".

Kori Ellis
05-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Don't forget about his vomitous performance tonight. He's back to jacking up shots and falling asleep on defense or just fouling to get out of having to work. If he does it again I'm going to start dusting off my "I told you so".

I didn't forget it, but pretty much every Spur was horrible tonight. So I wasn't going to blame one player more than the other in this game. They all sucked.

My problems with Barry, however, are not just about tonight.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Maybe Devin Brown will get back into the rotation, He did earn it in the regular season.

gilmor
05-16-2005, 01:05 AM
SJax >> B Barry. Seriously we need find some ways to get SJax back next year.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2005, 01:17 AM
I didn't forget it, but pretty much every Spur was horrible tonight. So I wasn't going to blame one player more than the other in this game. They all sucked.

My problems with Barry, however, are not just about tonight.

I thought Barry's performance tonight was very Big Dog-esque, but unlike Big Dog's performance, it was not due to selfishness or laziness,. If Barry is going to get blamed for poor performances, it shouldn't be for tonight. I didn't see Barry jacking up shots or missing a wide open dunk and then looking at the officials. I saw Barry driving to the hole. Granted, he did it badly, but if someone else had done it I'm sure he would have been happy to stand on the perimeter and not hit enough three pointers.

romsho
05-16-2005, 05:17 AM
Brent Barry has been beyond pitiful. His minutes have been completely useless. Does he EVER try and beat his man off the dribble and look for a shot? I have never seen a guy with as quick a first step as he has do absolutely nothing with it...Passive, scared, timid, this guy is a pussy to the umpteenth degree. What a waste of basketball talent.

Gummi
05-16-2005, 06:29 AM
I thought Devin played much better basketball then Barry did tonight. If Devin isn't 100% yet, he's still playing better then Barry so why not give Devin more minutes?

I've supported Barry from day one, but all he does is make me think it was a total disaster signing the guy. He had all the credentials to become the perfect Spur, great shooter, great teammate, good passer, and yet he's done nothing what we expected from him. Well, he's been a great teammate, but I can't remember a good performance from Barry all year except his season-high of 23 points against Atlanta, but that's against Atlanta.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Here's what's funny: Barry's ineffectiveness is being played up.

Meanwhile, P_p didn't even have a practice Friday, we looked unprepared last night, and there's no criticism of him for not having that practice.

MadDog73
05-16-2005, 08:32 AM
The thing is, bashing Pop does no good. Pop is not going to be fired, everyone knows that. If you are a Spurs fan and hate Pop then you are going to have some issues for a long time to come. My advice: find a coach and team you can root for.

Picking on players is a natural thing to do, becuase they ARE changeable. Hedo sucks? Get rid of him. Barry overpaid? Try to trade him (PLEASE, Knicks, bail us out of this one!!!)

We can't replace Pop. Period. So even though he's as much as fault as any of the players for losing tonight, calling for him to be fired is pointless.

boutons
05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
I don't understand the no practice, either. Were the Spurs tired? No exhausting home/away back2backs, travel, etc.

Don't emotion and the win-or-go-home stakes trump fatigue in the playoffs?

In the playoffs, where you have one team to prepare for, it seems that practice, preparation, and concentration on the opponent, esp after the Spurs got snookered in game3, would be called for. Sure, the Spurs didn't get killed by JJ pnr in Game4, but how about some defensive/offensive tricks of our own?

Is Nate outcoaching Pop the way Phil outcoached Pop last May? Is Pop's offensive/defensive system too rigid to handle a fluid opponent who knows how to exploit the Spurs system?

Pop likes to say "all teams know what all other teams do", but it sure seemed like Phil knew/did some stuff that Pop didn't know last May, and Nate seems to be out-smarting Pop this series. And the Sonics are clearly out-executing the Spurs.

My biggest concern is going back to Game1 vs Denver. How could Spurs come out so flat, no intensity? They seemed to have righted themselves vs DEN, but now they go flat again @SEA. The Spurs really are looking soft, no confidence.

The Sonics dumbasses talk tough trash, but then they came out and play tough to back up their words, dictated the game to the Spurs, get 11 STLs!, force TOs, and hit their shots, and play better defense than the Spurs.

The Spurs don't talk tough, but they don't play tough either, they haven't let their basketball do their talking.

They're just playing pussy, blah basketball.

There's still basketball to be played (we're re-starting the series at 0-0 again), but who can feel comfortable, have any confidence after 2 horrible games in a row by the Spurs?

Brent + Bruce + Nazr = 8pts, 5 RBs, 4 ASTs, 3/11 FGs. what fucking mess, while the Sonics got it done without a key starter and key rotation guy!

T Park
05-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Were the Spurs tired? No exhausting home/away back2backs, travel, etc.

uh they flew from SA to Seattle.

Yeah they were tired, Ginobili more than anyone needed the rest.

But, They didnt show any results from the time off.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Brent Barry has been beyond pitiful. His minutes have been completely useless. Does he EVER try and beat his man off the dribble and look for a shot? I have never seen a guy with as quick a first step as he has do absolutely nothing with it...Passive, scared, timid, this guy is a pussy to the umpteenth degree. What a waste of basketball talent.
Barry penetrated nearly as many times than Parker did in fewer minutes. Do you really want him creating his own shot? That's not why he came here, and if he has to do it it's a bad sign. He was given zero wide open looks due to the stagnation and lack of movement yet he tried to get his teammates involved rather than try to jack up bad shots. Somehow he gets blamed for a blowout loss. Pathetic.

boutons
05-16-2005, 10:58 AM
"uh they flew from SA to Seattle."

When? Last wednesday? So Fri and Sat they need to recover from a flight two days earlier?

Or are you saying the Spurs flew to/from SA between games 3 and 4?

Why the fuck are Spurs fans always playing the tired card?

"Sorry, we've been waiting all year for the playoffs, but we couldn't do well in the playoffs because we were tired."

huh?

baseline bum
05-16-2005, 12:03 PM
I hate this lazy attitude towards practice Pop has. It screwed us in 2001 vs LA when the Spurs looked completely unprepared when Pop decided rest was more important than preparation, and it screwed the team again yesterday.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-16-2005, 01:23 PM
We can't replace Pop. Period.

Bullshit. One call from Duncan to HOlt, and it would be done.

I'm gonna save myself from typing, baseline bum hit the nail on the head about practice. They didn't even watch film or do a walk through Friday. That's fucking stupid, and for that reason alone last night should all be on Pop.

The team wasn't ready to play, and didn't take Seattle seriously. That's what happens when you're in the middle of the playoffs and your coach doesn't think you need the practice.

It's called arrogance. And it's Pop's downfall. Doesn't think they need practice. Doesn't think his offense needs more than three plays. Doesn't think he needs to adapt on defense, just run his lame ass system that is getting worked like a whore on dollar blow job night.

MadDog73
05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
OK, Aggie, name a replacement.

if the Spurs lose this year, you may get your wish. The evil side of me actually hopes this happens. Then, when the Spurs fail to make the playoffs next year, Evil MadDog will delight in watching fans like you eating crow and begging for Pop to come back...

Dingle Barry
05-16-2005, 03:14 PM
he wants phil jackson

romsho
05-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Barry penetrated nearly as many times than Parker did in fewer minutes. Do you really want him creating his own shot? That's not why he came here, and if he has to do it it's a bad sign. He was given zero wide open looks due to the stagnation and lack of movement yet he tried to get his teammates involved rather than try to jack up bad shots. Somehow he gets blamed for a blowout loss. Pathetic.

Get your facts straight. I am not blaming him for a blowout loss, but to me he is the most disappointing player on the roster. Do I really want him creating his own shot? No, not most of the time, but I would like it to at least be a small part of his arsenal, what with him playing two guard and all. I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation. Do you think in hindsight the Spurs would still have signed Brent Barry based on his production over the course of the season and playoffs? The lackluster performance of the team the last two games and Brent Barry's production are two different issues. Both suck equally.

smeagol
05-16-2005, 04:11 PM
It happened. Duncan started fast, and Ginobili went inside for a layup. When Ginobili later drove and passed to Duncan for a dunk, the score was tied at 54.

But about a minute later, Barry subbed for Ginobili, and Barry did this: Threw away a pass to Duncan, followed with an offensive foul, then missed a 17-footer

Was I the only one wondering why Pop yanked Manu so early in the third Q? I believe Manu committed his third foul, but IMO, Pop should have kept him in.

ALVAREZ6
05-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Was I the only one wondering why Pop yanked Manu so early in the third Q? I believe Manu committed his third foul, but IMO, Pop should have kept him in.
Same. Especially in such a tight game, and we needed to start a scoring run at that time, instead of waiting. Barry just slows everything down.

I don't know why he was so scared after a 3rd personal.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Get your facts straight. I am not blaming him for a blowout loss, but to me he is the most disappointing player on the roster. Do I really want him creating his own shot? No, not most of the time, but I would like it to at least be a small part of his arsenal, what with him playing two guard and all. I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation. Do you think in hindsight the Spurs would still have signed Brent Barry based on his production over the course of the season and playoffs? The lackluster performance of the team the last two games and Brent Barry's production are two different issues. Both suck equally.
Creating his own shot is a small part of his arsenal, but he was not signed to do anything more than hit open jump shots. In order to do that someone needs to give him open jump shots. Anything else he might do is gravy. I wouldn't say he hasn't been a disappointment, but I never expected him to be the great saviour of the Spurs all the fans and media were jerking off all over before the season started.

Based on his performance thus far, I think Barry is a fuckin' bargain compared to Hedo, and he cost less money. The post season ain't over, so it remains to be seen how big a bargain he becomes.

baseline bum
05-16-2005, 06:54 PM
puta madre

smeagol
05-16-2005, 07:57 PM
puta madre
El puto de Ray Allen le chupa la verga al cabron de Reggie Evans.

A los mal paridos de los Sonics me los paso por el saco de mis huevos.

Fortson y James se pueden ir a la chingada.

Ahhh . . . that felt so good!