PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Consequences: Teams and countermeasures

JamStone
07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
So I was thinking how this new "superteam" was going to affect the rest of the NBA. Obviously, over at least the next five years, they will be the favorites or one of the favorites to win it all, year after year. But I was wondering what we might expect from some teams as a way of trying to stop them. I know in the early 2000s, Western Conference teams had to get a Kobe stopper, like Doug Christie or Bruce Bowen or Raja Bell. This goes beyond making one or two tweaks, getting one or two players. So what do you expect from some teams?

For me:

1) New York Knicks - I think they make every possible play to trade for Carmelo Anthony this summer and this upcoming season. After that, I think they do everything they can to try to sign Tony Parker next summer. I think also in the back of their minds, they are trying to figure a way to acquire Chris Paul. With their resources and overspending not being a major issue, I think the Knicks are the team that will have to try to build a team strong enough to oppose the Heat in upcoming years.

2) LA Lakers - the construction of the new Miami Heat team forces the Lakers to look more short term, even immediately next year. But they really don't have the ability to make any major moves. They already signed Blake which leaves them very little maneuverability financially. Could they still try to sign T-Mac? They could use another wing defender. Could they find a way to trade for James Posey, whose contract the Hornets would probably be fine dumping?

3) Chicago Bulls - they need a dynamic scorer at the 2-guard position. Problem is there aren't too many young dynamic 2-guards who are available. They should probably look at trying to put together a package that Philadelphia might consider for Andre Iguodala.

4) Orlando Magic - I think they're in trouble. They need to do everything they can to get a potent wing player who is still in his prime. I think these Miami Heat moves probably shut the door on Orlando's chances unless they make several bold moves. Rashard Lewis is probably immovable. But they need to put every other player besides Dwight Howard available to make some major changes. What exactly, I'm not sure.

In general, I think more and more teams will have to invest in a big, shot blocking big man or two to try to hold down the paint defensively. Teams that are actually still good at least for now, especially in the East, like Boston or Atlanta really need that shot blocking center that can at least be an interior presence for all the LeBron and Wade drives at the basket.

What do you see as some foreseeable moves teams will make, not just this summer but the upcoming few years, to try to counter this new "superteam?"

Medvedenko
07-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Nice points Jammmy....

Orlando: They have the pieces to really challenge the Heat. They do have a very well balanced talented team. Now is their heart and brain into it will be the question.

Boston: Looks like they're in the running at least another 2 years. They have the talent and depth with a few tweaks to really challenge the league.

I can't see any other team in the East challenge until maybe 2 years.....which will undoutedy give the Heat time for more moves and if they don't win next year, more desperation for Riley.

The Lakers will be allright in the West getting to the finals. I do believe they need to go after a CP3 or another All-Star calibre guard to mesh with Pau and Bynum. Kobe will be in facilitator role in the next 2-3 years while being a great role player after that. It will be interesting to see how he reacts.

Motivation abound for all other teams....

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 04:15 PM
No need to go knee jerk. Wait till the dust settles and it shakes out a bit. Then at the trading deadline in January will be the next watershed moment.

Even then it will advisable to tread with extreme caution. We won't know what the true impact is going to be until next April and the playoffs re-start.

We almost must fail before we make a structural change of magnitude.