PDA

View Full Version : Okay people, make your case. What exactly did you want Lebron to do?

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Stay in Cleveland where he would've had little chance at winning multiple championships, much less one.

Go to the Bulls. Could Lebron really co-exist efficiently with Derek Rose? Who exactly would be the primary playmaker in that line-up? Both players have below average impact on the game when they aren't handling the ball. Wade on the other hand is constantly on the move, looking to get to his spots, so I think the combination of him and Lebron is more organic than a combo of Rose and Lebron.

The Knicks? Does anyone really believe that a Mike D'Antoni coached team with Amar'e as your best big would be capable of winning multiple championships?

Dallas? Honestly, not a bad option.

Clippers? Again, not a bad option.

But the last two teams were long shots at best, so the only logical choice was Miami.

Okay, so Lebron probably won't wind up the "GOAT," but I think he deserves a great deal of respect for "taking the easy way out." Why? Basketball is a team game and the goal in mind is to win, as a team, as many games and championships as you can, and the only way you can achieve that is by creating the best team possible. For all the sports writers, bloggers, and message board posters disappointed that Lebron won't reach his individual potential and challenge Jordan's legacy, go watch Golf or Tennis, sports that are all about individual accomplishment.

And as a Spurs fan, if prime Tim Duncan openly campaigned to somehow get prime Shaquille O'Neal on the Spurs and outright stated, "I don't mind being the number 2 as long as we win championships. I'll even forfeit half my salary to make it happen" I would be ecstatic rather than criticize Duncan for "taking the easy way out." My team would be stacking O'Briens while the media, et al would be crying about Duncan "not wanting to accept the challenge of leading his team to a championship as the man."

At the end of the day, all I care about are these :lobt2:. I couldn't care less whose legacy is bolstered or tarnished while they are being won.

DAF86
07-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Play for the Spurs.

DeadlyDynasty
I don't think anyone here begrudges LeBron for choosing the easiest path to championships (in fact that team will be damn exciting to watch)...it's just the "way" he did it that bothers people.

tlongII
I liked what he did. Miami coming to town will be a must-see event.

BadOdor
07-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Why take a shit on them in national television though?

8FOR!3
07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I wanted him to go to New Jersey.

PG Devin Harris
SG Courtney Lee
SF LeBron James
PF Derrick Favors
C Brook Lopez
6. Travis Outlaw
7. Terrence Williams
8. Who gives a fuck?

InRareForm
I don't think anyone here begrudges LeBron for choosing the easiest path to championships (in fact that team will be damn exciting to watch)...it's just the "way" he did it that bothers people.

baseline bum
I wanted him to go to Chicago without the media circus.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I wanted Lebron to announce his decision immediately when he knew it (in other words the minute he saw Bosh and Wade were going to Miami), and do it as quietly as possible.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
It isn't James choice that bugs me. It's the forsaking by the Spurs fanbase here of their team in order to spite us.

Christ, you were a broken snout away from me not smelling skunk.

And you throw in with Heat fandom. I can't fathom it.

Killakobe81
07-09-2010, 05:05 PM

I agree smart movebut he could of dissed Cleveland with class ...

If you gonna take the easy road to glory ...at least take the hard road in his hometown he should of done it Akron no ESPN special ...and shed a tear like Brett farve and yes he would of got hate still ...

But he would of appeared less like a douche ...Oh well

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 05:08 PM

My area of focus in my post doesn't have anything to do with the shameless spectacle that was "The Decision." For that, Lebron deserves every ounce of criticism being directed his way.

I'm challenging the idea that Lebron wanting to win as many 'ships as possible by going to a de facto all-star team is somehow a bad thing.

The backlash he's received is emblematic of the modern NBA culture that puts the back of the jersey before the front.

Think about it, people are butthurt because "Lebron shunned away from the challenge of winning a championship as the man." Seriously? When did the media, et al become so fuckin' concerned with individual legacies?

Ultimately, basketball is a team game, something everybody has seemed to forget in the post-Jordan era.

JamStone
07-09-2010, 05:10 PM
-Call Dan Gilbert in the morning himself when he allegedly said he had made up his mind, thank him for everything he did and inform him that he had decided to go somewhere else.

-Call all of the other teams in play personally and do the same.

-Call ESPN to make the announcement in a 2 minute segment with a SportCenter or NBA Fastbreak reporter, and take literally 2 minutes to make the announcement and that's it.

-Do nothing else in the media or in public. Go have a nice dinner with his family and friends.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
I thought his best choice was New Jersey. Good mix of talent and potential, while he could still be the leader. Then I realized he didn't want that.

DeadlyDynasty
07-09-2010, 05:15 PM
My area of focus in my post doesn't have anything to do with the shameless spectacle that was "The Decision." For that, Lebron deserves every ounce of criticism being directed his way.

I'm challenging the idea that Lebron wanting to win as many 'ships as possible by going to a de facto all-star team is somehow a bad thing.

The backlash he's received is emblematic of the modern NBA culture that puts the back of the jersey before the front.

Think about it, people are butthurt because "Lebron shunned away from the challenge of winning a championship as the man." Seriously? When the media, et al become so fuckin' concerned with individual legacies?

Ultimately, basketball is a team game, something everybody has seemed to forget in the post-Jordan era.

If he wants to win rings then he definitely made the right choice...the backlash is over the "spectacle," and also the fact that he apparently doesn't want to be the responsible party anymore if his team loses. This is Dwyane Wade's team...he's won their only ring and this is the only team he's ever played for. LBJ can now sit back, pad stats, earn rings, and do it w/o the label of being #1--which he clearly can't handle. I think he made the right move if he wants to collect titles, but the majority of people are upset b/c they probably expected more of him as a leader

DeadlyDynasty
07-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I thought his best choice was New Jersey. Good mix of talent and potential, while he could still be the leader. Then I realized he didn't want that.

exactly

JoeTait75
07-09-2010, 05:18 PM
He can go and do whatever he wants, whatever he feels he needs to do for the sake of his career and his legacy. No one should begrudge him of that.

Just don't pick the worst possible way to go about it. Don't turn it into the new century's answer to "Al Capone's Vaults." For his sake, because he damaged himself far worse than anyone else in the process.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 05:18 PM
It isn't James choice that bugs me. It's the forsaking by the Spurs fanbase here of their team in order to spite us.

Christ, you were a broken snout away from me not smelling skunk.

And you throw in with Heat fandom. I can't fathom it.

What can't you fathom?

Most of us Spurs fans despise that Purple 'n Piss circus you call yourself a fan of, and if we can't beat you, we'll hope the next team you face does, whether that be The Thunder, The Suns, The Celtics, The Heat, or the Syracuse Nationals.

We wish nothing but pain and torment for your team and it matters little who delivers it.

Although it is much sweeter when the Spurs are wearing the executioner's mask, of course.

DeadlyDynasty
07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
What can't you fathom?

Most of us Spurs fans despise that Purple 'n Piss circus you call yourself a fan of, and if we can't beat you, we'll hope the next team you face does, whether that be The Thunder, The Suns, The Celtics, The Heat, or the Syracuse Nationals.

We wish nothing but pain and torment for your team and it matters little who delivers it.

Although it is much sweeter when the Spurs are wearing the executioner's mask, of course.

much hate in this one

himat
07-09-2010, 05:20 PM
He shouldn't have made a spectacle. If he didn't want to stay in Cleveland, which is a reasonable decision, don't rip the fans' heats out with more force than you have to. He handled it very poorly.

And if he decides to go somewhere else he should have went somewhere where he would be the man....now if he doesn't care about chasing the legacies of some of the greats before him than this isn't a problem.

Basically even if you take out the whole legacy portion of the argument LeBron still treated every team involved like a bunch of dogs.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
much hate in this one

Indeed. My hate for the Lakers is pure, irrational, and unyielding.

djohn2oo8
07-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Because when you are being advertised as the best pplayer in the game, you don't just go and join another star or two because you can't win on your own. Just pathetic

DeadlyDynasty
07-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Indeed. My hate for the Lakers is pure, irrational, and unyielding.

props for admitting it:lol

DazedAndConfused
07-09-2010, 05:35 PM
The Lakers could have Jesus play all 5 positions and Spur fan would still hate the Lakers.

Basketballgirl25
07-09-2010, 05:37 PM

bingo. I also dislike the fact he went to Miami, I can understand why, but a gut feeling tells me Wade, Bosh, and Lebron on the same team won't be as good for the NBA as some people think it would have been better if he went to the team I hate with a passion the Knicks.

Zelophehad
07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I wanted him to go to New Jersey.

PG Devin Harris
SG Courtney Lee
SF LeBron James
PF Derrick Favors
C Brook Lopez
6. Travis Outlaw
7. Terrence Williams
8. Who gives a fuck?
Everybody overrates that 12 win team's core, especially Lopez. No way a 22 year old Tim Duncan leads that team to anything less than 30 wins. Plus Harris was really bad last year, although I love Devin he stunk on ice last season.

baseline bum
07-09-2010, 05:40 PM
He can go and do whatever he wants, whatever he feels he needs to do for the sake of his career and his legacy. No one should begrudge him of that.

Just don't pick the worst possible way to go about it. Don't turn it into the new century's answer to "Al Capone's Vaults." For his sake, because he damaged himself far worse than anyone else in the process.

I wish I could agree with that last sentence, but all will be forgotten outside of Cleveland if he's raising a LOB next June. Of course, if he fails, then all the bad memories of this summer will be front and center again.

JoeTait75
07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I wish I could agree with that last sentence, but all will be forgotten outside of Cleveland if he's raising a LOB next June. Of course, if he fails, then all the bad memories of this summer will be front and center again.

That could very well be true. But he's taking a LOT of heat outside the ESPN echo chamber. That might dissipate... or it might not.

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
What can't you fathom?

Most of us Spurs fans despise that Purple 'n Piss circus you call yourself a fan of, and if we can't beat you

Well, for Christ sakes last night you weren't that far off. Manu was fucked up with his nose. And you just preemptively give up and hand it off to the Heat. That's ridiculous.

Christ, you got 4 rings in 12 years.

Wait 'till you don't beat us before you side another team.

8FOR!3
07-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Everybody overrates that 12 win team's core, especially Lopez. No way a 22 year old Tim Duncan leads that team to anything less than 30 wins. Plus Harris was really bad last year, although I love Devin he stunk on ice last season.

True, but you add Derrick Favors and LeBron and you have an entirely different team. You're also talking about a different coach, this is gonna be an Avery Johnson team. Keep in mind that I never said Brook Lopez is gonna be a Tim Duncan, but that doesn't mean he's still not going to be an all star throughout his career. Devin Harris did have a tough year, but with better coaching and better teammates he would look a lot better.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Well, for Christ sakes last night you weren't that far off. Manu was fucked up with his nose. And you just preemptively give up and hand it off to the Heat. That's ridiculous.

Christ, you got 4 rings in 12 years.

Wait 'till you don't beat us before you side another team.

Where did I proclaim the Heat the next champs? If they do happen to meet the Lakers in the Finals, of course I'll root for them. Hell, I'd root for a team comprised of Vlad the Impaler at PG, Emperor Nero at SG, Adolf Hitler at SF, Napoleon at PF, Joseph Stalin at C, and coached by Satan himself if they were to play against the Lakers.

Jloyola
07-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Would of been nicer if he didnt twist the knife so hard!

Giuseppe
07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Where did I proclaim the Heat the next champs? If they do happen to meet the Lakers in the Finals, of course I'll root for them. Hell, I'd root for a team comprised of Vlad the Impaler at PG, Emperor Nero at SG, Adolf Hitler at SF, Napoleon at PF, Joseph Stalin at C, and coached by Satan himself if they were to play against the Lakers.

You sided the Heat last night in the heat of the moment. That's weak & it's puny.

You can skulk back now under the guise of hating us, but, you walked away from your fandom last night, sonny.

midnightpulp
07-09-2010, 06:46 PM
You sided the Heat last night in the heat of the moment. That's weak & it's puny.

You can skulk back now under the guise of hating us, but, you walked away from your fandom last night, sonny.

Point out a specific post where I "sided with the Heat." I defended Lebron's decision and admit that if the Heat meet the Lakers in the Finals, I'll root for them, but otherwise, I care fuck-all about the Heat.

SpursFanFirst
07-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Where is the "GO AWAY" option? I vote for that one.

easy7
07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I vote for the "send his mom over" option...

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
If he stayed in Cleveland, they would have later blamed him for not winning and they would have said his contract stopped them from adding talent to the team, exactly what they said about KG..

If he went anywhere other than Miami, they would have said he cares more about the spotlight, and not about winning rings..

Now that he went to Miami, they're criticizing him for wanting to win..

Mike-in-brazil
07-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I wanted him to go to Chicago without the media circus.

ME too!!!...still think bulls would have been better in the long run ..they have young good talent...Durant type shit,

im clowning people who thought lebron was the next best thing coming...that's whats funny not mad at lebrizzon!! do ya thing mayne
Media and fans...dick riders are more upset the the truth settles in he is not the chosen one nore the GOAT...that's what folks are mad about and its not LeBriz's fault....seriously.

Lebron thinking about rings give a shit about a city, owner ,espn, sports writters , what WE think or feel ....
i personal don't have any feelings with what he should have done,
shit i guess what's best for lebron fuck how we feel lol seriously..

good question though....:toast

Veterinarian
07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
If he stayed in Cleveland, they would have later blamed him for not winning and they would have said his contract stopped them from adding talent to the team, exactly what they said about KG..

If he went anywhere other than Miami, they would have said he cares more about the spotlight, and not about winning rings..

Now that he went to Miami, they're criticizing him for wanting to win..

The funniest part is the pro Cleveland people acting like they care about the city of Cleveland.

The second funniest part is the pro Cleveland people acting like Clevelanders would have taken it well if he announced it in the right way. They would have emo'd regardless.

07-09-2010, 07:45 PM
go to new jersey with bosh or chicago with bosh. cleveland was really going nowhere for the next 2-3 years. at least he recognized that early unlike dirk and garnett. forming the superfriends is just stacking the deck in the same tradition as the celtics and lakers.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I didn't care where he signed and I think it will be kind of cool to see what the three of them can do together. However, I hated that he had the 1 hour special. I'm a LeBron fan, but he should have had the respect to (a) at least return the Cavs phone calls since the season ended, and (b) made his decision and signed wherever he wanted to sign but with the same amount of fanfare as everyone else does in the league. There was no need for the over-the-top special at all. Ridiculous!

Ashy Larry
07-09-2010, 07:59 PM
At the end of the day, all I care about are these :lobt2:. I couldn't care less whose legacy is bolstered or tarnished while they are being won.

I totally agree with this line ...... I could give two shits about Bean's legacy. He's cool in my book as long as they continue to hang banners in Staples.

I have no problem with LeBron choosing to play for the Heat. My only issue with him is the way he did it. Hell, when Michael Jordan returned from the first retirement, dude sent a FAX. Durant, who I really like, didn't have some huge press conference. Little tweet and I don't even know if there was a press conference.

Just a fucked up way to really stick it to people who worshiped the ground he walked on.

HankChinaski
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
He should have walked in with Cleveland warm up gear on and watch as everyone cheers then as he is about to sit down he says

"This getup is a little too hot for this"

Then he suddenly strips off the basketball cavs warm up gear to be wearing a Heat players uniform and then says he's

"How do you say....WAMP WOMP!"

Runs out of the gym yelling "Woh wooh woooh woh woooh wooh!"

Leaving the four letter network cursing to themselves with 59 minutes of on air time left.

ogait
07-09-2010, 09:16 PM
The funniest part is the pro Cleveland people acting like they care about the city of Cleveland.

The second funniest part is the pro Cleveland people acting like Clevelanders would have taken it well if he announced it in the right way. They would have emo'd regardless.

This is true, but as you said he didn't announced it the right way so he deserves the hate that he´s getting even if he would get it regardless.

ezau
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Agreed. For someone who hasn't won anything, that's over the top.