PDA

View Full Version : On day Oscar Grant verdict announced, Lebron James' efforts for Boys and Girls Club..

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2010, 07:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5367008

I skipped the non-Lebron parts to keep it NBA, click the link for the entire story..good read, class act..

Now for all of the criticism he has received for orchestrating the hour-long special and leaving Cleveland, not enough attention has been given to the hidden gem of the story: the $2.5 million he raised for the Boys and Girls Club of America. Thousands of children with little or nothing to do after school were greatly helped by James' philanthropy, according to Frank Sanchez, a vice president of the Boys and Girls Clubs. To me, that is far more significant than his signing with the Heat.

James was set for life his rookie year. The NBA is a billion-dollar entertainment business, which means the Dan Gilberts, Jim Dolans and David Sterns of the world are also set for life. But providing a safe place for children whose futures are still in question, especially those who see James as a role model, is far more influential on their lives than him winning a championship or two. In addition to the cash raised, the gesture takes the overwhelming media attention surrounding James' free agency and points it in the direction of a single, but important step in a long series of steps needed to curtail the violence on our streets every day, all over this country.

So many black athletes are quick to talk about growing up in the 'hood and the violence that surrounded them, but so few rush to use their cultural capital to change that environment so those who are not as physically gifted can find their way out as well. Ever since he came into the league in 2003, James has worked tirelessly to help young people -- and not just in Ohio. Two years ago his foundation, in conjunction with State Farm Insurance, began an initiative to build playgrounds and recreation centers around the country.

Does James have a big ego? Hell yeah, few superstars don't. But also recognize he has a big heart. With the world watching last night, James announced a partnership with the University of Phoenix that will offer scholarships to people trying to improve their lives. I say let he who spends this much of his downtime making the world a better place burn the first jersey.

I'm not trying to oversimplify the complex issue of race, the demonization of black males or the historical impact that demonization has on our culture. Nor am I blaming the victim. But I don't think anyone learns from this tragedy by scrubbing Grant's background clean. Yes, I believe race played a significant role in his untimely death. But I also believe the decisions Grant made throughout his shortened life played an even larger part. This is why James helping to provide a support system in which young people are better equipped to make smarter decisions is so important, especially for black males who statistically are more prone to die by the hands of another black male than a white police officer.

Question James' basketball decision all you want, but I find it unfair to question his character. Cynics will say James is just formulating more tax write-offs. Hey, he's a smart man, so I doubt that hasn't crossed his mind. But he's also a caring athlete, one who refreshingly opts to be part of the solution as opposed to being part of or ignoring the problem.

If dissing his hometown in an hour-long ego stroke is the worst thing he's ever done, then I say he's doing all right.

BadOdor
07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Hes doing it for the kids!!!!

monosylab1k
07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Carmelo Anthony donates way more time, energy, and resources into helping kids.

You don't hear about it because he does it from his heart and doesn't want a media spectacle surrounding his ever philanthropic move. He's not such an insecure little baby that he needs his balls massaged every time he does something good for people less fortunate.

Chr!s Childs
07-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Carmelo Anthony donates way more time, energy, and resources into helping kids.

You don't hear about it because he does it from his heart and doesn't want a media spectacle surrounding his ever philanthropic move. He's not such an insecure little baby that he needs his balls massaged every time he does something good for people less fortunate.

Shut the fuck up hoe.

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Good for Carmelo, maybe he'll stop endangering lives with his drunk driving..

I'm not telling anybody to ride Lebron for doing this, this is something that all rich athletes should do..I'm just saying I find it funny that he's being criticized when his Decision brought so much for the unfortunate children from the 'hood..

monosylab1k
07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Good for Carmelo, maybe he'll stop endangering lives with his drunk driving..

As opposed to LeBron regularly getting speeding tickets for going 100+ mph?

InRareForm
07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
There is ways of donating without making it be a smokescreen.

picc84
07-09-2010, 07:22 PM
still? :lmao

InRareForm
07-09-2010, 07:22 PM
"Does James have a big ego? Hell yeah, few superstars don't. But also recognize he has a big heart. With the world watching last night, James announced a partnership with the University of Phoenix that will offer scholarships to people trying to improve their lives. I say let he who spends this much of his downtime making the world a better place burn the first jersey. "

I STOPPED READING RIGHT THERE! LOL

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2010, 07:23 PM

IIRC, he pleaded not guilty, but if it's true, I'll retract my statement about Carmelo..it doesn't really change my point though..

Chr!s Childs
07-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Your hate for LeBron is disqusting. The fact that you know the mavs won't sniff a title for a long time makes you so butthurt.

JJ Hickson
07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
:lol Dayum this kid is serious about his bandwagon jumping. Does anyone else remember the Harlemheat avatar switching last season? This faggot switches teams more often than his food stamp collecting crack whore of a mother changes her cum stained panties.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Great fuckin charity fundraiser :cry

Lebron is a humanitarian for helping the University of Phoenix :cry

j.dizzle
07-09-2010, 07:27 PM
LMAO a ton of athletes donate & help a shitload...This was just an excuse for Lebron not to be shit on even more. It doesnt sound as bad when you involve donating money but he wanted the attention no doubt.

JJ Hickson
07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
TBH Mike Vick donated a lot to the SPCA. You guys need to cut him some slack he's a nice guy too.

Chr!s Childs
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
LMAO a ton of athletes donate & help a shitload...This was just an excuse for Lebron not to be shit on even more. It doesnt sound as bad when you involve donating money but he wanted the attention no doubt.

but he did it for a good cause though. compare that to burning jerseys and the owner saying awful things he wouldn't have said if lebron signed with them.

monosylab1k
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Great fuckin charity fundraiser :cry

Lebron is a humanitarian for helping the University of Phoenix :cry

I'd like a list of athletes that don't donate to charities. Everybody does it, they're obligated, either contractually or socially because nobody likes a rich asshole who doesn't donate anything to charity.

So, to paraphrase Chris Rock, don't compliment LeBron for doin something he's supposed to do.

monosylab1k
07-09-2010, 07:32 PM
TBH Mike Vick donated a lot to the SPCA. You guys need to cut him some slack he's a nice guy too.

:cry he did it for the dogs :cry great fucking animal lover

Chr!s Childs
07-09-2010, 07:33 PM
:cry he did it for the dogs :cry great fucking animal lover

You're such a fuckin pussy I can smell you through the screen...pull your skirt down.

07-09-2010, 07:50 PM
i guess lebron should take back the $2.5 million, issue an apology for announcing his decision publicly in a press conference like many other stars, burn the money, and tell everyone to not support the boys and girls club?

Chr!s Childs
07-09-2010, 07:51 PM
i guess lebron should take back the $2.5 million, issue an apology for announcing his decision publicly in a press conference like many other stars, burn the money, and tell everyone to not support the boys and girls club?

This.

monosylab1k
07-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Or he could have fucked off with the whole ESPN special, made a simple announcement that he was signing with the Heat like every other free agent did, and then donated 2.5 million without the fanfare.

07-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Or he could have fucked off with the whole ESPN special, made a simple announcement that he was signing with the Heat like every other free agent did, and then donated 2.5 million without the fanfare.
the way i see it, he was going to have the press conference anyways like many other stars. and no doubt, espn will try to milk it. so instead of letting espn get the ad revenue, he made it into a charity event. celebrities can't be expected to donate money all the time, that's why they hold charity benefits to raise money from other sources.

07-09-2010, 08:02 PM
the only thing i am surprised is that he didn't personally speak to dan gilbert before making the decision. that guy did sacrifice a lot of money for lebron but lebron also made a lot of money for gilbert.

CubanMustGo
07-09-2010, 08:14 PM

LeBronze did not contribute 1 fucking cent. The advertisers paid ESPN who turned the money over to charity.

Why is this so fucking hard for you to understand? If LeBronze had actually contributed anything it would be different, but all he did was get someone else to make a donation, and it was ES fucking PM.

There is no money for LeBronze to take back because it would never have gone to him. Unless he charged ESPN $2.5M for the privilege of kissing his sorry self-promoting ass for an hour.

07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
LeBronze did not contribute 1 fucking cent. The advertisers paid ESPN who turned the money over to charity.

Why is this so fucking hard for you to understand? If LeBronze had actually contributed anything it would be different, but all he did was get someone else to make a donation, and it was ES fucking PM.

There is no money for LeBronze to take back because it would never have gone to him. Unless he charged ESPN $2.5M for the privilege of kissing his sorry self-promoting ass for an hour.
would the charity still have the $2.5 million without lebron's show? yes or no?

DMX7
07-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Yeah, if he gave himself.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Did Lebron need to create a giant narcissistic attraction or could he have simply given $2.5 million without expecting praise?

07-09-2010, 08:37 PM
can't always expect celebrities to donate money. lebron is already taking time to travel to cities to raise the profile of the boys and girls club. would all eyes have been on lebron anyways without "the decision"? yes. if lebron didn't do "the decision" and just went with a regular press conference, would espn still have milked it the same way? yes. would espn have kept the ad revenue? yes. so what's wrong with lebron taking advantage of his elevated spotlight and making sure the money benefits kids?

murpjf88
07-09-2010, 08:41 PM
GTFO. This article is a joke. This had nothing to do with charity and evereything to do with his brand. You see, the true athletes don't need a camera shoved in their face and don't need to announce it live to the world. Lebrat made a public mockery of the Cavs on national television at at the expense of the Boys & Girls clubs. No camera, no audience, NO charity.

LnGrrrR
07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
University of Phoenix f'ing sucks. But I guess Lebron wouldn't know that since he didn't go to college.