PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker: heads up for who?

lotr1trekkie
07-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Not interested in trade exemptions, projects, POTENTIAL, spare parts, draft choices, cap relief, etc. !
Realistically,gurus, is there any player out there that we could trade Tony for that would come in NOW and make us a better team than w/o Parker?
Thursday's events have me convinced that the Knicks or Nets will now pay max for Tony in order to level the playing field with the MAGI. What Thur:depressedsday proved is that teams are willing of sacrifice success in the short term. If Melo doesn't resign that would make him and Tony available next year for free. Personally, I don't want my point guard to have one foot out the door IF the Spurs are serious about another run with Tim. Love the Big 3! If it becomes the Big 2 it is time to blow it up and move on.

rayray2k8
07-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Nothing.. Stop starting Parker threads. HE. ISN'T. GOING. ANYWHERE!
Get over it.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 10:43 AM
He's not going anywhere. Will retire here just like Manu and TD

Tito_Trinidad
07-10-2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.lolgifs.com/picture.php?id=568&hash=70adad418dd5

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 10:44 AM

god thats gross

Mel_13
07-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Realistically,gurus, is there any player out there that we could trade Tony for that would come in NOW and make us a better team than w/o Parker?

No

pookenstein
07-10-2010, 11:10 AM
:vomit::whine

Parker2112
07-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Right now Parker is the best option. But thats not the point.

TD and Manu are headed for a cliff, and so are the Spurs. TP gives us the potential to cross that gap without falling in the lottery pool.

Without panning talent, you'll never replace the production we are about to lose from Many and TD.

HOWEVER, Im down to keep TP this year and make a run. If Tiago is not our answer, we can use Tony at the trade deadline.

DPG21920
07-10-2010, 11:19 AM
The only person I can think of that even seems quasi realistic is Chris Paul. Even that seems like a stretch with regards to being to obtain him via trade.

Parker2112
07-10-2010, 11:24 AM
The only person I can think of that even seems quasi realistic is Chris Paul. Even that seems like a stretch with regards to being to obtain him via trade.

again, that swap makes sense now.

If your planning for the future you want picks and prospects.

Honestly, TD is never going to be TD again. We need to start thinking in terms of a post-TD era...one that actually started when his knees went caput a while back.

DPG21920
07-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Chris Paul is good for now and the future and the question was about now, not the future.

timvp
07-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Without panning talent, you'll never replace the production we are about to lose from Many and TD.

She should be back to her normal self in a month or two.

ElNono
07-10-2010, 11:44 AM
She should be back to her normal self in a month or two.

lol... and now we have two prospective talents too!

Tito_Trinidad
07-10-2010, 11:46 AM
god thats gross

http://www.creepygif.com/images/thumb/34.jpg

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/<a href=

dbestpro
07-10-2010, 11:52 AM
1. The Spurs are better with Parker than any player they can trade for.
2. Parker will sign a max contract next year.
3. That max contract will most likely not be with the Spurs.
4. The best possible cut bait trade might be for Smith of Atlanta. (Dice would go too to get Bibby).
5. The Spurs are not going to trade Parker and would rather deal with him being the one to walk than being the ones to send him away.

Jlowd21
07-10-2010, 12:17 PM
1. The Spurs are better with Parker than any player they can trade for.
2. Parker will sign a max contract next year.
3. That max contract will most likely not be with the Spurs.
4. The best possible cut bait trade might be for Smith of Atlanta. (Dice would go too to get Bibby).
5. The Spurs are not going to trade Parker and would rather deal with him being the one to walk than being the ones to send him away.

I'd go with #4 at the trade deadline if it was possible. I don't want to end up like the cavs and get nothing in return for my superstar. After that RJ can be used as trade bait either the same year or the year after for a PG (considering Josh Smith takes over at SF)

That would leave us with

PG: Bibby, new pg through RJ trade
SG: Manu, Hill
SF: Josh Smith, James Anderson
PF: Blair, Splitter
C: Timmy

JamStone
07-10-2010, 12:38 PM
If the concern is Parker leaving for nothing, perhaps something like Andre Miller and Greg Oden for Tony Parker? You get a competent point guard for "now" and a possible big man for the future when Duncan is gone, one that carries a lot of injury risk but still a player that has value.

Obviously, not sure Portland would do that though.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 12:39 PM
If the concern is Parker leaving for nothing, perhaps something like Andre Miller and Greg Oden for Tony Parker? You get a competent point guard for "now" and a possible big man for the future when Duncan is gone, one that carries a lot of injury risk but still a player that has value.

highly doubtful

ohmwrecker
07-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Can we just cool it with this fantasy bullshit for a while? The Spurs roster, for better or worse, is taking shape and they have given no indication that "re-building" is happening this year. If they trade Parker, they are giving up on contending for a title. It's over. Duncan and Ginobili can retire and the Spurs can join the bottom dwellers and hope for another miraculous #1 draft pick.
This is it. There is no re-tooling. After the big three are done, it's over.

Jlowd21
07-10-2010, 12:41 PM

no thanks, Oden will never amount to anything in this league IMO

ohmwrecker
07-10-2010, 12:43 PM
These are all terrible ideas. Just really awful. Really.

JamStone
07-10-2010, 12:50 PM
no thanks, Oden will never amount to anything in this league IMO

Perhaps. The whole point was trying to get something for Tony Parker instead of watching him leave and the Spurs get nothing. The proposal was just an idea, and probably a doubtful one anyway because chances are Portland doesn't do it. But it was just an idea based on the trepidation that Parker leave for nothing.

ohmwrecker
07-10-2010, 12:55 PM
The only way Parker gets traded this year is at the deadline if the Spurs have no shot at making the playoffs. Period.

lurker23
07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
With the uncertainty of the CBA, the uncertainty of whether the Spurs are a championship-contending team or a rebuilding team, and, perhaps most importantly, this off-season showing that teams are quite happy to do sign-and-trades to accommodate their new star players, the Spurs best bet might be to simply let Tony become a free agent, even if they think there's a good chance he's going to leave.

lotr1trekkie
07-10-2010, 01:17 PM
At the trading deadline[2011] if we trade Tony it means that the Spurs are already dead in the water. If Tony is so limited at that point why would the Knicks[ or any other team] give him a max contract at 29. At the trade deadline[2011] if the Spurs are willing to trade Parket if means that the Spurs are in the rebuilding stage. Tim then has an option. Go to a contender[help the Spurs eith picks] or simply finish his career here.
Not able visualize Tim in any other uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jlowd21
07-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Can we just cool it with this fantasy bullshit for a while? The Spurs roster, for better or worse, is taking shape and they have given no indication that "re-building" is happening this year. If they trade Parker, they are giving up on contending for a title. It's over. Duncan and Ginobili can retire and the Spurs can join the bottom dwellers and hope for another miraculous #1 draft pick.
This is it. There is no re-tooling. After the big three are done, it's over.

Isnt this what the mesageboard is designed for, so fans of the same team can discuss options for the team and talk about the direction the team may or may not be going in. If you dont want to read "this fantasy bullshit" then dont read it, no one's holding a gun to your head man. The offseason is the perfect time to discuss these kinds of things, seeing as how no one on our roster is actually playing basketball at the time. It would be different if we were in the middle of a playoff series and people were talking about trading parker. If TP's leaving anyway, as he seemed to express in an interview, i don't want this team to get nothing in return and then in a year or 2 when duncan and ginobili are gone we end up as the bottom feeders of the league. Once that happens the #1 draft pick wouldn't be quite as "miraculous"

clubalien
07-10-2010, 01:23 PM
tony for d fisher + ron artest

ohmwrecker
07-10-2010, 01:26 PM
At the trading deadline[2011] if we trade Tony it means that the Spurs are already dead in the water. If Tony is so limited at that point why would the Knicks[ or any other team] give him a max contract at 29. At the trade deadline[2011] if the Spurs are willing to trade Parket if means that the Spurs are in the rebuilding stage. Tim then has an option. Go to a contender[help the Spurs eith picks] or simply finish his career here.

That's essentially what I said. I don't agree with your premise that Parker won't have trade value if the Spurs suck at the deadline. Even if TP is playing All-Star ball next year that doesn't mean the Spurs will be in contention. It will take more than Tony Parker to win.

spursfaninla
07-10-2010, 04:37 PM

So, Trade TP spurs fans, please THINK ABOUT THIS before you make stupid trade suggestions.

Trading TP will not happen unless we have given up on success this year.

spursfaninla
07-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Right now Parker is the best option. But thats not the point.

TD and Manu are headed for a cliff, and so are the Spurs. TP gives us the potential to cross that gap without falling in the lottery pool.

HOWEVER, Im down to keep TP this year and make a run. If Tiago is not our answer, we can use Tony at the trade deadline.

This is the correct answer.

We either blow it up (mostly) at the trade deadline b/c we have no shot this playoffs, or we go for it and start over after TD leaves.

spursfaninla
07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
again, that swap makes sense now.

If your planning for the future you want picks and prospects.

Honestly, TD is never going to be TD again. We need to start thinking in terms of a post-TD era...one that actually started when his knees went caput a while back.

Then the spurs should have blown up this summer already. Too late, we signed manu. We still have TD for this year at least.

You want to have a chance to be successful in the future without giving up present success, which is not going to happen. We can't go for future prospects and let TD go out with a chance at another ring, however slight. It is either playoff chances or total rebuild.

The ownership and management has said go for it while TD is healthy, so wishing for them to trade TP makes no sense under that current philosophy, will never happen, and so deal with it.

And they are right. Even a small chance at a championship, you go for it now. We can rebuild forever, and be a marginal playoff team with any group of mediocre talent. But we have TD for a year or two left.

spursfaninla
07-10-2010, 04:45 PM
I really wish someone would tack at the top of the Spurs forum some basics regarding TP and the possibility of trading him, because it gets pretty bad having to see the same tired trade suggestions being brought up, with the same flaws and impossibilities.

Spurs fans who want us to trade TP should be asking TD to retire, and for Manu to be trade for draft picks, otherwise YOU FOOLS make NO SENSE.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I really wish someone would tack at the top of the Spurs forum some basics regarding TP and the possibility of trading him, because it gets pretty bad having to see the same tired trade suggestions being brought up, with the same flaws and impossibilities.

Spurs fans who want us to trade TP should be asking TD to retire, and for Manu to be trade for draft picks, otherwise YOU FOOLS make NO SENSE.

pretty much.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-10-2010, 05:07 PM
parker for darko and sebastion telfair

07-10-2010, 05:28 PM
i'm uncomfortable having to trade parker after giving ginobili such a long extension. it should have been the other way around. but what is done is done. if the spurs go half the season and it is painfully obvious this team is not good enough and parker refuses to sign an extension, here are my trade ideas:

parker + mcdyess + pick for iguodala and holiday/williams

sixes can insert turner in the SG spot and can immediately get the ball in his hands and start a la tyreke evans. right now, iguodala has that role and turner can be just a cheaper option. young will slide down to his more natural SF spot while parker, mcdyess, and brand round out the starting five. pretty good lineup.

spurs need a wing that's better than jefferson at defense. iguodala is that man. the spurs will have to pry either williams or holiday from the sixers because hill is not really a point guard. williams isn't either but close enough. i prefer holiday though.

parker for casspi and landry

kings will have cousins play the role of the scoring big. parker, as a scoring pg, is the perfect compliment to evans.

i don't know how this will improve the spurs immediately but i just like casspi. he's manu 2.0. i think the spurs will get a large trade exception back too. spurs will need to find another point guard with the trade exception or trade blair. a hill/ginobili/casspi/splitter/duncan lineup looks good with landry off the bench. would make the spurs a very versatile team with a great big rotation of landry/duncan/splitter/bonner (sigh). blair can be there too if not traded for a pg. also gives the spurs a very dynamic wing rotation of hill/ginobili/anderson/casspi. there will just be a glaring hole at pg.

parkers for harris + terrence williams + lee

having struck out on the FA, the nets' new owner doesn't want to be embarrassed. upgrading the PG will have to do until they go after melo next year. nets will probably be one of the main competitors for parker next year anyway, might as well get something back.

harris is just a poor man's tony parker but spurs get back williams and lee who are solid wing defenders with the potential to be better. lee will contribute immediately by shooting 3's and playing defense. williams has higher potential. i like this trade idea the least.

ohmwrecker
07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
parker for darko and sebastion telfair

Darko and Telfair are on two different teams, and . . . no.

m33p0
07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
http://www.lolgifs.com/pictures/a19bde587689035.gif

SpursTillTheEnd
07-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Darko and Telfair are on two different teams, and . . . no.
lmao i know cuz i was just playing

ohmwrecker
07-10-2010, 05:43 PM
parker + mcdyess + pick for iguodala and holiday/williams
I don't think this is that great for us. Plus, the Sixers want to move Brand more than Iggy, so they probably don't make this deal. Also, would crowd our guard rotation and leave a hole in our frontline.

parker for casspi and landry

Leaves a hole at PG. Bonner = Casspi. Blair = Landry.

parkers for harris + terrence williams + lee

This makes the most sense, but Parker > Harris.

jermaine
07-10-2010, 05:44 PM

So u suggest we just let him walk at the end of the season then look for his replacement in the big ass point guard pool that's in the draft or FAs!?! Ooooo my bad, there isn't any! We're going to have the same dam problem if we trade his ass or if we don't. I guess we should delay it an get nuttin in return! Yea do that 1.

Phenomanul
07-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Is Lawson still with the Nuggets...?

Carmelo Anthony + Lawson for Parker + RJ...

I'd rather we kept Parker though, and could convince him to stay in SA...

Jace
07-10-2010, 07:05 PM
He's not going anywhere. Will retire here just like Manu and TD

That would be fantastic.. And we can pay them all max deals until they get tired of the money.

dbestpro
07-10-2010, 07:10 PM
That would be fantastic.. And we can pay them all max deals until they get tired of the money.

That would be something. We could have 3 max players just like the Heat.

spursfaninla
07-10-2010, 07:39 PM
So u suggest we just let him walk at the end of the season then look for his replacement in the big ass point guard pool that's in the draft or FAs!?! Ooooo my bad, there isn't any! We're going to have the same dam problem if we trade his ass or if we don't. I guess we should delay it an get nuttin in return! Yea do that 1.

what happens if we trade tp? I have not seen you suggest that the following is not true:

either 1) we get pieces that help NOW for a championship this final year (or so) that TD can help us get that, however slim the chances,

2) or we rebuild. There is no good way to do in between, without a franchise player developing, which we don't have.

So, if 1, we have to get two pieces back for tp that can help now. Why? Because no one is giving equal talent for TP. He is on the last year of his contract, so this is a rental unless he basically commits to signing with them, which is a longshot. If they want a salary dump, they are not giving us equal talent to TP.

So, we would settle for 2 above average players. Hopefully a pg, and probably a wing defender. Anything else is redundant with current parts, and requires further trades, which is a mess and unlikely to help goal 1.

I don't see this happening. It takes too much to happen just right, too soon. It needs to happen now so the pieces have time to integrate.

2) rebuild. Well, we should be trading TD, Manu, and RJ then for future draft picks, get as low in the draft as possible, and hope for a franchise player, because that is what it will take to rebuild properly. We have 4 young pieces assuming splitter signs: hill, blair, splitter, and MAYBE anderson (so really 3.5). That is enough to be the worst team in the west. With manu and td, we just miss the playoffs, and get a crappy lottery pick for a few years.

trading TP is likely to result in a no-mans land middle ground, where we have no chance to win, and we are not bad enough to get a very good pick. The

Now, you might say, but wait, if we get prospects, that is something.

Any team who trades us TP for prospects is a team that will make the playoffs. Their picks will suck.

Trading TP does nothing unless we are going full rebuild. That what you want?

underdawg
07-10-2010, 07:45 PM

This makes the most sense, but Parker > Harris.

you're trading 1 player for 3 players - of course you're going to lose value at the pg, but is it balanced by the holes that the other 2 players fill?

How good is the 2010/2011 team as currently constructed? Does TP's skill make up for all of the other holes we have? If not and you're fairly confident you're going to lose him anyway - why not make that trade early and try and get the other players acclimated as soon as possible.

If the FO thinks Tony's going to sign with us and we're going to let the Big 3 ride off in the sunset, so be it, but if the goal is to win another ring - I just can't see it being done as constructed. Tony's value is the only chance we have at upgrading our roster in other areas.

LakerHater
07-10-2010, 08:46 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CqDk4jAv_Y4/TCLa1JuqZqI/AAAAAAAAEgU/m_Bpu5ssZFc/s400/11.jpg

ChuckD
07-10-2010, 09:01 PM
IF Parker is traded, it's going to be for high lottery talent from the last draft or two, or unprotected picks from bad teams, and it means the Spurs are blowing it up. They absolutely WILL NOT take back an overpaid stiff like Iguodala. That would only make the rebuilding process slower and less effective. Use the Sonics/Thunder as a model. They offloaded Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis in 2007, picked up some extra picks, crashed and burned, drafted high for three years and were back in the playoffs in 2010 as one of the best, most dynamic young teams in the league.

Mr.Robinson
07-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Are people forgetting how well the Spurs played with Parker being injured? He's the reason the team sucks. He refuses to pass to Dick for some reason. I mean the dude rather shoot a half court shot than pass to Dick. Fool just dribbles for 90 percent of the shot clock. He can't shoot, he doesn't pass, he had speed and now its almost gone. When Manu and Dick are playing the Spurs Offense flows so much better. Trade him and the Spurs are a better team. No doubt about it. He is leaving next year anyways.

Hawk
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I am just really worried that Parker will walk away next year and we will be left with nothing but a few second rounders.

I really wish they would have pulled the trigger, if it ever really was on the table. New Jersey Nets #3 pick and Devin Harris > for Tony Parker. This would have solved the problem now and for the future for the next 10 years. Tony Parker is replaceable he is not a superstar. Derrick Favors, will be in the same calibre as Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh, Blake Griffen. We messed up if this deal ever existed.

Agloco
07-10-2010, 09:59 PM

They could tack this thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155526

Danny.Zhu
07-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I just don't get why people are trying to trade Tony. Do you guys seriously think George is that good to be the starting PG after seeing his disastrous performance against Suns.

miserableman
07-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Tony Parker for Gortat and Jameer Nelson