PDA

View Full Version : Spurs may be done with offseason moves

spurnash
07-10-2010, 11:13 AM
The spurs may have just completed their entire off-season agenda.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

Tim Duncan $18,835,381
Tony Parker $13,650,000
Manu Ginobili $11,854,584
Antonio McDyess $4,860,000
DeJuan Blair $918,000
George Hill $854,389
Malik Hairston $854,389 (No / Partial Guarantee)
Alonzo Gee $762,195 (No / Partial Guarantee)
Garrett Temple $762,195 (No / Partial Guarantee)
Curtis Jerrells $762,195 (No / Partial Guarantee)
Sub-Total $54,113,328

Richard Jefferson $6,300,000 (5yr/$37M - must be more than MLE / 5 years)
Matt Bonner $3,325,000 (4yr/$15M - must be raise and /4 years)
Tiago Splitter $5,765,000 (5 yr/$34M - assume full MLE)
James Anderson $1,134,500 (Rookie Scale)
Ryan Richards $473,604 (Minimum rookie contract)
Total $70,111,432

Tax Threshold $70,307,000

It looks like the Spurs are done, 15 players (Richards, Jerells and Gee as our 13 - 15)

I am sure if something comes up they would be willing to upgrade the roster, but they are sooooo limited as to their choices as they are currently simply filling up with minimum contracts. Therefore any upgrade will have to be a trade and will have to be one that doesn't increase salary. Bi-Annual Exception is out even a vet minimum contract may put them over the tax threshold.

This may or may not be a championship roster, but i believe this is an upgrade over last year.

Big Three
T. Duncan should be slightly worse than last year (Age)
T. Parker should be better (Injury and no international play this summer)
M. Ginobili should be slightly worse (Age)

Support 2010
G.Hill should be better (maturity)
D.Blair should be better and get more minutes (maturity)
R.Jefferson should be better (incorporated into system)
J.Anderson should be better than RMJ (can't be worse)
T.Splittger should be improvement and take more minutes (see below)
M.Bonner - same - but fewer minutes (Splitter/Blair)
McDyess - worse with age but fewer minutes (Splitter/Blair)

In addition, we can't forget that our roster was completely overturned last year and that couldn't have had a positive effect. Just being together for year could make a big difference.

If splitter turns out to be MARC Gasol i think we have a chance at the Lakers, if Splitter is any less we are doomed, any better is wishfull thinking but i am an optimist by nature.

DPG21920
07-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Even with Tiago coming in and making great impact, Spurs still have the same glaring problem as last year; a terrible fit at SF.

Unless they decide to use the LLE which is looking less likely (unless the Bonner, Tiago & RJ contracts come back favorable), or unless Malik or Gee or someone like that steps up big, the Spurs are still lacking 3 point shooting and a perimeter defender.

I hope they can find a few more nice pieces to balance the roster because the SF problem is large one looking at things as of now.

rascal
07-10-2010, 11:19 AM

Tim Duncan $18,835,381
Tony Parker $13,650,000
DeJuan Blair $918,000
George Hill $854,389
Sub-Total $54,113,328

Total $70,111,432

It looks like the Spurs are done, 15 players (Richards, Jerells and Gee as our 13 - 15)

I am sure if something comes up they would be willing to upgrade the roster, but they are sooooo limited as to their choices as they are currently simply filling up with minimum contracts. Therefore any upgrade will have to be a trade and will have to be one that doesn't increase salary. Bi-Annual Exception is out even a vet minimum contract may put them over the tax threshold.

This may or may not be a championship roster, but i believe this is an upgrade over last year.

Big Three

Support 2010

In addition, we can't forget that our roster was completely overturned last year and that couldn't have had a positive effect. Just being together for year could make a big difference.

If splitter turns out to be MARC Gasol i think we have a chance at the Lakers, if Splitter is any less we are doomed, any better is wishfull thinking but i am an optimist by nature.

Good overall post. The spurs are still thin on the frontline. I knew no major additions from last years team outside of what they got in the draft.

The spurs basically just improve the team through their draft picks. Look at the roster and all their top players are aquired with their draft picks while other teams load up thru Free agency and trades.

Indazone
07-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Spurs front office putting too much faith in an aging Big Three with McDyess. Really think the Spurs need to get bigger on the front line.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Im fine if they have faith in guys like Hairston/Temple and possibly Gee. They just might be better options than anything we can find on the market. I still expect us to use our LLE on someone. Hopefullly a James Jones.

DPG21920
07-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Spurs front office putting too much faith in an aging Big Three with McDyess. Really think the Spurs need to get bigger on the front line.

They are trying to bring in Splitter. Plus they re-upped Bonner's huge body.

Bruno
07-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Spurs will still likely sign a cheap vet SF. Some of the players with a non-guaranteed contracts will be waived.

IMO, Dorell Wright is the best option but he could be too expensive and/or Spurs could be scared by his off the court issues. There are other options wiht my favorite one being James Jones.

yavozerb
Even with Tiago coming in and making great impact, Spurs still have the same glaring problem as last year; a terrible fit at SF.
Unless they decide to use the LLE which is looking less likely (unless the Bonner, Tiago & RJ contracts come back favorable), or unless Malik or Gee or someone like that steps up big, the Spurs are still lacking 3 point shooting and a perimeter defender.

I hope they can find a few more nice pieces to balance the roster because the SF problem is large one looking at things as of now.

I agree that RJ was terrible most of the time in 2009-2010 but he also had glimpses of what the spurs intended him to be when they signed him. I do believe RJ well be much better this go around with him having one season under his belt in this system. I am also hoping that Tiago can help with the interior defense which in turn would help with the lack of a great perimeter defender. All in all, I like the roster and I expect 50-55 wins during the regular season.

DPG21920
Im fine if they have faith in guys like Hairston/Temple and possibly Gee. They just might be better options than anything we can find on the market. I still expect us to use our LLE on someone. Hopefullly a James Jones.

I don't know if they will use the LLE. It will depend on the Bonner/RJ/Tiago contracts. If all the numbers come out near what has been reported, they will be very close to the LT. I am not sure they venture into that territory.

tdunk21
07-10-2010, 11:26 AM
wait...did we sign RJ yet?

DPG21920
07-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree that RJ was terrible most of the time in 2009-2010 but he also had glimpses of what the spurs intended him to be when they signed him. I do believe RJ well be much better this go around with him having one season under his belt in this system. I am also hoping that Tiago can help with the interior defense which in turn would help with the lack of a great perimeter defender. All in all, I like the roster and I expect 50-55 wins during the regular season.

I expect the same amount of wins, but we are trying to win a title and we have to only look at that.

Is this a team with a legit shot at this point? Not so sure. Those glimpses you saw imo, were simply because RJ has talent overall, not because those were games where you saw him fitting in. When you have talent, every once and a while you will have a nice game overall.

But it is far more telling the numbers over the course of the season. A lot of players have problems in their first year with the Spurs, but often times you see a steady stream of things that give you hope they fit into the system. What you saw from RJ was what you have seen his entire career; shaky 3PT shooting and defending. RJ used to be a very solid defender, but age has caught up to him in that regard. But he was never a very solid 3PT shooter over the course of his career. He did have a great year with the Bucks, but that seems to be an outlier.

Like I said, I think the Spurs are still a very good team and will be better next year and I am cool with that. But if the FO is saying "we are going all in to win a title", then some of their moves leave you scratching your head at this point.

It is still a long ways off though and many things happen such as trades and buyouts and we don't know the specific contract numbers for Bonner, RJ & Tiago just yet.

DPG21920
07-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Spurs will still likely sign a cheap vet SF. Some of the players with a non-guaranteed contracts will be waived.

IMO, Dorell Wright is the best option but he could be too expensive and/or Spurs could be scared by his off the court issues. There are other options wiht my favorite one being James Jones.

Do you think if you just swapped Wright with RJ, that the Spurs are a better team?

Indazone
07-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Surely the Spurs can get a better fit than RJ?

spurnash
07-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Agreed, and if i am not mistaken the Spurs don't have to have all 15 spots filled either and that could give them a little more flexibility.

Nevertheless to find an impact player it is going to be tough. One exception could be a trade that involves McDyess and future picks to get another impact player but i simply don't expect that to happen. Maybe this shake-up in the NBA over the last two days could create an unseen opportunity.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2010, 11:33 AM
giving the scrub matt bonner a pay increase, ruin of trial any short term 10 day contracts to scrubs

Indazone
07-10-2010, 11:34 AM
you mean like Iguodala?

ElNono
07-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Spurs will still likely sign a cheap vet SF.

The centerpiece for the vet min? :vomit:

dbestpro
07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Before last year we would always see tons of posts that would say that a player usually does not fit into the Spurs system until the second year. I suggest we try and give RJ the same latitude that we would have given every other player before him. For me last year was not unusual for RJ as a first year Spur player. This year is the time that we should expect RJ to meet expectations.

Bruno
07-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Agreed, and if i am not mistaken the Spurs don't have to have all 15 spots filled either and that could give them a little more flexibility.

yes, Spurs can only carry 13 players to get more flexibility.

Nevertheless to find an impact player it is going to be tough.

Agree. Spurs have done 90% of their summer with the draft and these 3 signings. While I think Spurs will still add a vet, this player shouldn't have a significant impact on the team.

Bruno
07-10-2010, 11:50 AM
The centerpiece for the vet min? :vomit:

I would say that the first quality of this vet will be his shooting, so no to The Centerpiece™ .

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Spurs in talks with Shaq heating up, dont know if its serious or chatter to get Splitter to come down on his number. I would love to have both.

Doesn't make sense if were resigning Bonner.

ElNono
07-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Doesn't make sense if were resigning Bonner.

We could move Dice... would be a bad move, IMHO, but we could.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 12:02 PM
We could move Dice... would be a bad move, IMHO, but we could.

True. S&T with cleveland I guess.

underdawg
07-10-2010, 12:03 PM

what's your guess on Dorell's price?

ElNono
07-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I would say that the first quality of this vet will be his shooting, so no to The Centerpiece™ .

Jerry Stackhouse? :vomit: :vomit:

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Signing Bonner did make sense but we did it. Shaq is a true Center while bonner is a 6th big who should play spot mins at best. Shaq, TD Blair Splitter Bonner........Nice front line.

Im for it and it make sense because it would allow TD to play facing up more, allow him to take nights off while still giving us a true back to the basket post scorer. Shaq adds fire and emotion, not to mention you know he wants to dethrown Kobe.....who better to do it with??

He gives us a lane clogger, something we have missed. He gets teams in foul trouble and is a hell of a screen setter.

Still can get us 12ppg 8 rb 1.5blks in limited mins..

TP HILL
Manu ANDERSON
RJ ANDERSON GIST
TD SPLITTER BLAIR
SHAQ SLITTER

That is a hell of a 9-10 man rotation.

1st) There is no way the Spurs are signing Bonner to a rumored 15 million $ to be the 6th big man. makes absolutely no sense.

2nd) I was for Shaq coming to join us along with Spliter also, but from the Reports it looks like Shaq will take no less than the MLE (which we don't have after we sign Splitter) If he wants to come for the LLE then I am cool with that but it still doesn't make sense that Bonner will be making close to 4 mil/yr when he is our 6th big man..

ElNono
07-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Unless we're about to S&T Bonner for Shaq... which in no way, shape or form I can see happening...

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Unless we're about to S&T Bonner for Shaq... which in no way, shape or form I can see happening...

That would be great lol

ulosturedge
07-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Bonner was resigned to insure we had a three-point threat on this team. He also did very well sliding underneath defenders closing out on him. Yeah he struggled in the playoffs last year, but with other players emerging he should have even better looks this year.

James Anderson I think is going to help add to that three-point threat on this team. Hopefully that's enough to get our team back to where they were with their perimeter shooting. I also believe JA will be the backup SF(assuming RJ resigns) which for me doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

And then we have Splitter adding an extra much needed piece to our frontline. He's mobile, he's tall, and he looks athletic enough to me.

I know it seems a bit risky relying on alot of these young players, but I think the potential is there. I guess what I'm getting at is if the roster stays like this I can live with it. I honestly believe a lot of guys are going to step up next year. I'm excited. :)

ElNono
07-10-2010, 12:15 PM
That would be great lol

If Shaq really wants MLE money, then trading for Bonner's salary wouldn't cut it.

Bruno
07-10-2010, 12:17 PM
what's your guess on Dorell's price?

I don't know, the market is so crazy. Petro got $10M while I think he was clearly a minimum player. A full LLE deal is 2 years and $4.3M, maybe it will be his market value.

Bruno
07-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Do you think if you just swapped Wright with RJ, that the Spurs are a better team?

No, I don't.

Big P
07-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure there will be a few decent fa's that will take the lle & I'm pretty sure the Spurs will use everything they have including the lle.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I think your caught up to much in the money, Bonner has his spot with us but I think the spurs paid him to hedge against losing out on Splitter for some reason and the fact they know a couple teams with cap room are looking for shooters so they could dump Bonner if the need to.

With Splitter on board we would be paying Dice 5 mil to be the 4th big. Bonner does have value to our system so the spurs overpaid to keep him. I think if Shaq wants to come to SA we may try to work out a sign and trade for him to give him around 4-5 a year as I dont think he takes LLE.

Even without shaq, Bonner is the 5th big next year so being the 6th isnt far fetched.

Plus I think if Shaq is sgned Pops will give diff bigs nights off to keep them fresh so Bonner wouldnt ness be considered the 6th big....if you get what Im saying. At any rate regaurdless of what bonner was paid if you can get Shaq you get him, we need more size and more beef up front.

I don't think its happening. Doesn't make sense from a financial or basketball standpoint but your last point isn't such a bad idea, seeing how duncan will likely sit on b2b and if we do get shaq he MIGHT be able to play 50 games next season.

If Shaq wants to come here I am definitely down for that. Not sure if I would give up Dice necessarily though. Being an older vet, dice was pretty damn durable and very clutch in the playoffs.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I cant believe you wouldnt give up dice for Shaq, Im not a big Shaq fan but what he would do for TD and clogging the lanes on D would make us a much better team on both ends, and allow TD to rest and even take nights off.

Can you imagine a Well rested TD and Shaq with Splitter and Blair in our playoff rotation.......who could compete with that?

They're are just many question marks regarding Shaq. I would be surprised if he could play more than half the season next year at 38 years old. Also, What Shaq are we getting? If he shows up overweight and uncommitted there is no way hes better than a mcdyess who played 77 games last year and stepped up huge for us in the playoffs. We would not have beaten Dallas if it wasn't for Antonio Mcdyess. I truly believe that from the way he played Dirk all series long. He was fantastic.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree with many of your points but my point is he would give us fire, a lane clogger and you know now that Kobe has that 5th ring Shaq is burning inside. Hes gonna want number 5 and would love to dethrown Kobe with Kobes rival.

I think shaq would give us 20 mpg 10ppg 7rpg 1.5blks and play 60 games next year in reg season. I think it would allow TD to play 60 games and be rested for Playoffs.

Think of this two, since D Rob left when you get past TD no one is there to help, now you have another long 7ftr to go through so our D gets better

Outside TD we have no one who can score in the post, with shaq we do which would allow Splitter to play the 4 more......

I think the Lakers shit themselves if we grab splitter and shaq.

I guess we'll find out. I would love Shaq to be here, much more than Bonner. Uneasy about getting rid of Dice for him though. That's just my opinion.

spurnash
07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
For the Spurs to pick up the Big Alamo the following could be a scenario:

Sign and Trade for Shaq at the MLE $5.765M for McDyess $4.86, Spurs would then have to waive one of their 15 man roster (Gee) and only keep 14 for the year. (Bonner makes no sense to Cleveland and the salaries simply don't work)

Does that make us better? Probably, but i agree with previous posts, we would not have beaten Dallas this year without McDyess playing Nowitski....but i would make that trade just for the pure enjoyment of having Shaq and Timmy together for one last ride for glory!!!!

Samr
07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't think the Spurs are done making moves yet, but honestly, with Bonner/Splitter/RJ, I'm content.

Duncan, Splitter, RJ, Manu, Parker starting, then a bench of Hill, Anderson, Blair, McD, Bonner... Spurs are a legitimate 10-deep.

Agloco
07-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Signing Bonner did make sense but we did it. Shaq is a true Center while bonner is a 6th big who should play spot mins at best. Shaq, TD Blair Splitter Bonner........Nice front line.

Im for it and it make sense because it would allow TD to play facing up more, allow him to take nights off while still giving us a true back to the basket post scorer. Shaq adds fire and emotion, not to mention you know he wants to dethrown Kobe.....who better to do it with??

He gives us a lane clogger, something we have missed. He gets teams in foul trouble and is a hell of a screen setter.

Still can get us 12ppg 8 rb 1.5blks in limited mins..

TP HILL
Manu ANDERSON
RJ ANDERSON GIST
TD SPLITTER BLAIR
SHAQ SLITTER

That is a hell of a 9-10 man rotation.

The problem with your take is that the FO would need to move Dice, more than likely to a non-contender. That's not happening for no other reason, ethical issues. Yeah, yeah, its a business but the FO isn't into selling people down the river like that. Dice came here for one reason and one reason only. The FO won't deny him an opportunity to see his dream through.

The only possibility I see for moving Dice is to a contender, and Miami is the likely front runner at this point since they don't have many warm bodies outside of the 3-Stooges and Chalmers. I have no idea how Miami's cap space looks so this might even be a non-starter.

ohmwrecker
07-10-2010, 01:18 PM
No, I don't.

Thank you! Goddamn! Finally somebody has their head on right. This board is out of control!

Agloco
07-10-2010, 01:27 PM
The problem with your take is that the FO would need to move Dice, more than likely to a non-contender. That's not happening for no other reason, ethical issues. Yeah, yeah, its a business but the FO isn't into selling people down the river like that. Dice came here for one reason and one reason only. The FO won't deny him an opportunity to see his dream through.

The only possibility I see for moving Dice is to a contender, and Miami is the likely front runner at this point since they don't have many warm bodies outside of the 3-Stooges and Chalmers. I have no idea how Miami's cap space looks so this might even be a non-starter.

Miami has nothing to give, not even draft picks at this point for years. And remember we sent Rose down the river to a suck ass team.

You missed the boat again lad.

Vic Petro
07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Nothing about the contract we gave Rose could be constituted as selling him down the river. They could have traded him to Siberia and it would have been fair.

underdawg
07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Thank you! Goddamn! Finally somebody has their head on right. This board is out of control!

not swapping wright with rj, but taking wright instead of boner and adding a low level big with some small hope of defensive potential as the 5th big man - that would have made the Spurs better

ohmwrecker
07-10-2010, 01:31 PM
not swapping wright with rj, but taking wright instead of boner and adding a low level big with some small hope of defensive potential as the 5th big man - that would have made the Spurs better

Agree. That wasn't the question though.

lotr1trekkie
07-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Texas 2 Step: agreed 100% about Shaq for a min because he wants to equal Kobe.
Derek Fisher??? Perfect role player behind Tony. GAMER! SA is al lot closer to LA then Miami. The stars will have to allign.

Death In June
07-10-2010, 01:48 PM
What an offseason. You mean we get 5 more years of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole AND a 3pt shooter with t-rex arms that sucks at making threes. Awesome. That actually makes having a slightly above average center all the more exciting.

EricB
07-10-2010, 01:51 PM
:lol

They have targets for the lle but freaking teams are spending out their ass it's rediculous.

elbamba
07-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Anderson should be able to help with the three point shooting. We need another big and another three point shooter.

Agloco
07-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Texas 2 Step: agreed 100% about Shaq for a min because he wants to equal Kobe.
Derek Fisher??? Perfect role player behind Tony. GAMER! SA is al lot closer to LA then Miami. The stars will have to allign.

Shaq will go to Miami if he has even one firing, functionally intact neuron in that large cranium.

Agloco
07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
:lol

They have targets for the lle but freaking teams are spending out their ass it's rediculous.

I agree, it is quite ridiculous

barbacoataco
07-10-2010, 02:31 PM
As I wrote somewhere else, this current Spurs roster is simply too short to compete.
1. No true Centers. All of our bigs are actually PF's.
2. Our SF's are all 6'6"-7" rather than the 6'8"-9" that the best teams have.
3. Hill is too short to be a SG, but he will play minutes there.
4. Who is going to guard the bigs with a low post game? We have no Kurt Thomas type big who can body up strong C's. Fortunately there aren't many left in the WC.
5. Add all this to the fact that Pop often plays small ball lineup.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 02:36 PM
As I wrote somewhere else, this current Spurs roster is simply too short to compete.
1. No true Centers. All of our bigs are actually PF's.
2. Our SF's are all 6'6"-7" rather than the 6'8"-9" that the best teams have.
3. Hill is too short to be a SG, but he will play minutes there.
4. Who is going to guard the bigs with a low post game? We have no Kurt Thomas type big who can body up strong C's. Fortunately there aren't many left in the WC.
5. Add all this to the fact that Pop often plays small ball lineup.

Well Splitter is a 7 foot center, Jefferson is plenty big for a SF not a small ball PF like we tried last season. Obviously a backup SF with size is the next priority.

doobs
07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
15 man roster:

Parker, Hill, Temple
Manu, Anderson, Hairston
RJ, ..., ...
Splitter, McDyess, Bonner
Duncan, Blair, ...

I'm sorry, but I don't think the Spurs can depend on Jerrells, Gee, and Richards to fill those three spots. And the LLE is still there. So they need to use it, or make a trade, or something.

The offseason shouldn't be over just yet.

angelbelow
07-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Nice post, Im hoping that Bonner did not receive a raise and the contract is much less. Than hopefully we can land a defensive/shooter 3.

ChuckD
07-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Tim Duncan $18,835,381
Tony Parker $13,650,000
DeJuan Blair $918,000
George Hill $854,389
Sub-Total $54,113,328

Total $70,111,432

Big Three

Support 2010

Jerrells won't make the club. One of Hairston/Gee won't make the club. AFAIK, Richards' Euro club has not released him from his contract, the reason he isn't playing SL. That's three spots up for grabs, as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't think there is any way in hell RJ gets 5 years. His little foray into free agency this summer should have snapped his head back about his value and demand in the league.

spurnash
07-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Jerrells won't make the club. One of Hairston/Gee won't make the club. AFAIK, Richards' Euro club has not released him from his contract, the reason he isn't playing SL. That's three spots up for grabs, as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't think there is any way in hell RJ gets 5 years. His little foray into free agency this summer should have snapped his head back about his value and demand in the league.

Jerrells ($762k) won't make the club - Probably right
Hairston or Gee ($762k) won't make the club - again probably right
Richards ($473k) doesn't make the club - sounds reasonable to me

The point is assuming RJ get a starting salary of around $6M (doesn't matter how many years)...spurs will have $2M to spend on those three positions total. NBA minimum salaries range from $473k for a rookie to about $1.3M (12 year vet). You can replace any of those three guys with any non-impact players or alternate spurs you like (gist or whoever) and stick them on the toros roster.

If there is a trade to be had who knows, I am sure Buford and Pop will continue their search, otherwise we kind of got what we got.

Another alternative is to not keep two of our roster spots and we may be able to use the bi-annual exception.

dbestpro
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Jerrells ($762k) won't make the club - Probably right
Hairston or Gee ($762k) won't make the club - again probably right
Richards ($473k) doesn't make the club - sounds reasonable to me.

I have finally come to believe that Hairston will make the club and actually play significant minutes at the SF slot. This change of thinking is a direct result of him not being on the SL roster. Good or bad I believe he will get his chance this year.

Spurs Brazil
07-10-2010, 05:01 PM
We must sign a SF who can shot. I'd be happy with Butler or Jones .

montgod
07-10-2010, 06:45 PM
It sure looks that way. Options dwindling fast.

Bell and JJones are all that's left it looks like unless you can get an injured Harrington for the LLE.

CaptainLate
07-10-2010, 07:09 PM

About July 1, mysanantonio.com had the FO going after Matt Barnes. :lobt2:

CaptainLate
07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Anderson should be able to help with the three point shooting. We need another big and another three point shooter.

Matt Barnes?

angelbelow
07-10-2010, 07:15 PM
About July 1, mysanantonio.com had the FO going after Matt Barnes. :lobt2:

We've gone after Matt before and I believe he said he has no interest in playing for the Spurs.

spursfan1000
07-10-2010, 07:19 PM
I hope were not done, we still need another 3pt shooting SF.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Jesus Christ almighty this team is glaringly weak now.

itzsoweezee
07-10-2010, 07:36 PM
any hope i had for the upcoming season went down the tubes with the matt bonner signing. i'm predicting a second round exit again - probably lose out to OKC or Portland.

what are the odds bonner plays more minutes than any other big (other than duncan) next season? i'm betting 50/50.

TD 21
07-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Tim Duncan $18,835,381
Tony Parker $13,650,000
DeJuan Blair $918,000
George Hill $854,389
Sub-Total $54,113,328

Total $70,111,432

Big Three

Support 2010

Good post. I agree, I think they're done.

They may have wanted a more proven backup option at SF, but with the money bring thrown around (for example, Wright signed today for 3 years/$11 million), the Spurs simply can't afford that type of player.

They could sign a minimum type, but what's the point? Those players aren't clear cut upgrades over Hairston and Gee. Both of whom the Spurs are high on, have experience in the system, are young, athletic and inexpensive.

Not only that, but a minimum type signing would put them past the luxury tax threshold. I can't see them doing that for anything less than a clear cut, substantial upgrade.

I also expect Jerrells to be waived to create more breathing room under the tax, free up a roster spot (gives the team flexibility throughout the year in case injuries decimate a certain position) and also because I don't see any conceivable role for him.

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Good post. I agree, I think they're done.

They may have wanted a more proven backup option at SF, but with the money bring thrown around (for example, Wright signed today for 3 years/$11 million), the Spurs simply can't afford that type of player.

They could sign a minimum type, but what's the point? Those players aren't clear cut upgrades over Hairston and Gee. Both of whom the Spurs are high on, have experience in the system, are young, athletic and inexpensive.

Not only that, but a minimum type signing would put them past the luxury tax threshold. I can't see them doing that for anything less than a clear cut, substantial upgrade.

Now you understand...

:lol I keed I keed..

As you know well...I agree to this..

TD 21
07-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Now you understand...

:lol I keed I keed..

As you know well...I agree to this..

I always did understand, I just wasn't in agreement with forgoing signing a veteran SF...until Anderson fell into the Spurs laps (not that he fell that far). Anderson is a good three point shooter and ready to play immediately by all accounts, so there's no need to waste money and pay the tax for a similar, but older and less athletic, minimum type player.

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2010, 08:55 PM
I always did understand, I just wasn't in agreement with forgoing signing a veteran SF...until Anderson fell into the Spurs laps (not that he fell that far). Anderson is a good three point shooter and ready to play immediately by all accounts, so why waste money and pay the tax for a minimum type player?

I agree. :tu

I've been advocating this scenario for a while now.

Sigz
07-10-2010, 09:08 PM
This team is soft as moist shit.

50 cent
07-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Shaq will go to Miami if he has even one firing, functionally intact neuron in that large cranium.
I don't think Shaq necessarily left Miami last time on great terms. I'm not even sure Riley would want to put up with his crap again.

I'm not sure we want to put up with his crap either.

Harry Callahan
07-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Is Jefferson officially signed or not? Just wondering.

Sounds like everybody else might be.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Is Jefferson officially signed or not? Just wondering.

Sounds like everybody else might be.

Nobody is. I would probably suspect that we will hear official signings of Bonner,Splitter and RJ by early this week. Splitter and Bonner almost certainly Monday.

AFBlue
07-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Done or not, they've at least got their core piece back in the fold...

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/12-14/lakers14csf_400.jpg

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-11-2010, 03:44 AM
We will pick up Rasual Butler is my feeling. He'll be the starting SF.

venitian navigator
07-11-2010, 04:09 AM

imho that could be a very very good choice...

Bruno
07-11-2010, 04:14 AM

Do you truly think that Butler, after 2 good years, will only sign a LLE deal or is it just wishful thinking?

Chieflion
07-11-2010, 04:17 AM
The LLE = useless exception.

Even Dorell Wright gets a 3 years, 11 million contract. Which old vet wants the LLE?

Johan motherfuckin Petro got 3 years, 10 million, what the fuck is wrong with this league.

venitian navigator
07-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Do you truly think that Butler, after 2 good years, will only sign a LLE deal or is it just wishful thinking?

I also think the chances are really slim, so probably is only wishful thinking...however, this is a weird market...and hopefully we can still come back with some unexpected asset, like Butler could be.

slick'81
07-11-2010, 04:37 AM
please dont bring back the center piece

J_Paco
07-11-2010, 04:44 AM

Why not? Matt and Richard are back. We all know how well they performed last post-season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-11-2010, 06:10 AM

It's not based on anything other than a hunch, Bruno, he just feels like a good fit and the kind of guy the Spurs often pull out of their magical box.

If not, like you, I can see James Jones as the fallback.

BadOne
07-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Oh God, please no. Bogans is too damn short to be a small forward. Its funny to me that some people on these threads get all up in arms when they hear the words George Hill and Point Guard together, yet suggest Bogans is a small forward. Even Raja Bell, for all of his defensive attributes, is a shooting guard. Guys like Hairston and Gee are even more of a 2, than a 3 [though both are clearly a better option than the "center piece"]. Most legit 3's are at least 6'7, not below. After bringing back that idiot Bonner, Bogans would be an absolute nightmare. He's no Mason, but he'll never be half of Bowen.

smrattler
07-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I didn't know Haislip was not coming back. I thought he was here for one more year?

Alonzo Gee and Malik are redundent I think. Both can play I think. I'm sure at least one of them will prove to be an NBA player. I wonder if they cut or trade one. If they do, I just hope it's the right one. The thing I think that might separate them is the shooting behind the arc. I think Hairston is supposed to be better. But I haven't seen enough of either to know how many different ways they can score. And I've seen enough to say Hairston's defense has very good potential. Don't know about Gee.

Either way, we are talking about SG. If Hairston has the edge right now, can he start next to Tony and allow Manu to come off the bench?

Or are both of them behind James Anderson at the end of this summer?

smrattler
07-11-2010, 02:12 PM
If either starts we can hand it up right now. These guys are 11th 12th men at this point. Gee has more upside than Hairston but much like Bonner Pops keeps holding out hope he will be a player.

Yes, they were 11th and 12th last year.

But I'm just looking at our options at SG. We don't want Manu to start all year long. Hill can't start with TP, too small. Who's left? Everyone wanted Finley, Bogans, and Mason gone. Well, Fin's gone. Bogans and Mason might very well be too. What does this mean?

I think the Spurs are hoping one of these two guys or Anderson can prove to be capable enough to hit some jumpers and play some defense next to Tony. Not for 38 mins/night, just enough to keep Manu fresh for the playoffs.

Unless they have an idea to bring in a vet min guy. Everyone is talking about the hole at SF, I see a bigger hole at SG personally. At least we know who starts and gets the bulk of the minutes at SF.

Killakobe81
07-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Why no Mike Miller for the Spurs?

I know Cips and Heat offered $ to him ...

But I think IF RJ is gone .. (doesnt re-sign for less $ more years)

Who is better that is left?

Spurs should offer at least what Heat did plus a more prominent role ...

IN SA he could take the shots Mason bricks ... and a lineup of:

PG: Parker
SG: Manu
SF Miller
PF Spliiter
C Duncan

6th: Hill
7th: Anderson
8th Mcdyess

That is a GOOD team ...

MaNu4Tres
07-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Why no Mike Miller for the Spurs?

I know Cips and Heat offered $ to him ...

But I think IF RJ is gone .. (doesnt re-sign for less $ more years)

Who is better that is left?

Spurs should offer at least what Heat did plus a more prominent role ...

IN SA he could take the shots Mason bricks ... and a lineup of:

With what money?

Killakobe81
07-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Sorry posted in another thread that Ididnt realize that you guys had NONE ...

Thought RJ brought you guys under ...

Also asked in the other one if he takes a significant cut for less years would you take RJ back?

smrattler
07-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Unless they man leaps forward this summer they will at best be 10th men. Dont get me wrong I like both.....really like Temple but look.....TP, Hill Manu, Anderson......Thats a deep rotation as Hill will play both 1 and 2 and should we not trade tp will start most likely at the 2. That leaves Manu comming off the bench with Anderson behind him....unless someone is injured or Anderson turns out to be a flop Temple and Gee wound see the floor much.

Ok, so among the SG options, you think Anderson is the most likely to rise above the other two (Hairston and Gee)?

I just DO NOT want to see Hill and Parker starting. I know everyone last year thought that would be a great idea, but I saw enough of that to know I don't want that as the permanent solution.

This all reminds me of back when Antonio Daniels was trying to be our PG. When he wasn't a PG. But should not have been starting as the SG either. Luckily, a young skinny French kid named Parker came out of nowhere to defy all odds of Pop: starting as a rookie.

If Anderson can do that? :downspin: Don't need him to be great, just good enough to at least find his spots and knock down open jumpers and play good enough on defense to let Manu come off the bench. Exactly what Finley did a lot of times while he was here. I hope so anyway. I will be rooting for that, for sure.

rascal
07-11-2010, 04:57 PM
So it is a do nothing off season except bringing in Splitter and the draft pick. Basically the same team as last year with upgrades at center and backup sg.

Jace
07-11-2010, 05:57 PM
So it is a do nothing off season except bringing in Splitter and the draft pick. Basically the same team as last year with upgrades at center and backup sg.

You don't think that is enough to avoid a sweep by a mid tier playoff team?

Velo
07-11-2010, 06:06 PM
There's 195k left before Tax Threshold, I need like maybe 60k of that....:downspin:

CaptainLate
07-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Why no Mike Miller for the Spurs?...IN SA he could take the shots Mason bricks ... and a lineup of...

Matt Barnes should come cheaper.

Juanobili
07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
it'd be cool if they surprised us all with a signing

but even if they did it'd be a forgotten vet who'd underachieve in the season

Pistons < Spurs
07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
WojYahooNBA

The Suns have agreed to sign-and-trade with Atlanta for Josh Childress and will give him a five-year, $34 million contract, a source tells Y

The Suns will send a 2012 second-round pick to Atlanta. Wizards, Spurs and Jazz tried to get involved with Childress, sources say.

DPG21920
07-11-2010, 11:03 PM
This is not looking good for the Spurs. It appears this crazy off season really came to bite them in a "worst case scenario" type of way. Because of all the questionable contracts and RJ sucking, they missed out on a lot of opportunities to fine tune the team.

buttsR4rebounding
07-12-2010, 02:50 AM

Tim Duncan $18,835,381
Tony Parker $13,650,000
DeJuan Blair $918,000
George Hill $854,389
Sub-Total $54,113,328

Total $70,111,432

I bet that Splitter's contract is not for the entire MLE. If it were then you wouldn't have seen the comments that Splitter's camp was still waiting for an acceptable offer. I also would not be surprised if Bonner's contract didn't start lower than that. It doesn't take much tweaking to get the numbers low enough to open up the LLE. Also if you did that you would be cutting one of the minimum unguaranteed salaries.

analyzed
07-12-2010, 05:26 AM
If by the trade deadline we can't realistically beat LA, I say trade Parker. there is no point in keeping him only to lose him by FA and get nothing in return. unless we realistically have a shot of beating LA. The only way I see this happening is if RJ plays like d old RJ and Splitter is better than expected a 15 pt and 10 reb guy

spurnash
07-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I bet that Splitter's contract is not for the entire MLE. If it were then you wouldn't have seen the comments that Splitter's camp was still waiting for an acceptable offer. I also would not be surprised if Bonner's contract didn't start lower than that. It doesn't take much tweaking to get the numbers low enough to open up the LLE. Also if you did that you would be cutting one of the minimum unguaranteed salaries.

We will find out soon enough, if we shaved a few $$$ off Bonner, a few $$$ off Splitter we could get some room....If we waived a couple of contracts and ran with a 13 man roster we could save about $1.5M....let's say we do any combination of the above and save enough for the Bi-Annual Exception, i am not sure there is anything out there that is clearly better than what we have at this point.

Question for the Board - What Bi-Annual at this point would interest us and not only be an upgrade but actualy could eat up real minutes (ie. The BAE might be an upgrade on Gee or Temple but if neither Gee/Temple or the BAE can get more than 500 minutes of floor time who cares).

I ask this question because i simply don't see anything out there at this point. I do think there could be some sign and trade possibilities (McDyess/RJ/MB) that could serve us but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Bender
07-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't know anything about salary stuff, but how does Anderson make more than Hill, who has been around a couple of years already?

TimDunkem
07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't know anything about salary stuff, but how does Anderson make more than Hill, who has been around a couple of years already?
It's because of the rookie scale.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9301

spurs50_
07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Do you guys really think reynolds will be signed this year? that would be awesome...

Kindergarten Cop
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Do you guys really think reynolds will be signed this year? that would be awesome...

Who? :huh

If you mean Richards, he will likely spend the whole year in the D-League if he is signed. It would be better for the Spurs (cap-wise) if he stayed another year or two overseas, but he seems to be reluctant to do that. As others have stated though, he will progress much more playing in the D-League as opposed to playing overseas.

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I think he means Richards? :lol

Kindergarten Cop
07-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I think he means Richards? :lol

That's kind of what I was thinking.