View Full Version : Past Trade Target: Rudy Fernandez

Bruno
07-11-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_rudy_fernandez.jpg
Born: Apr 4, 1985
Height: 6-6 / 1.98
Weight: 185 lbs. / 83.9 kg.
Years Pro: 1

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/rudy_fernandez/career_stats.html)

ducks
07-11-2010, 10:47 AM
hill for him?

will_spurs
07-11-2010, 10:50 AM
hill for him?

Haha. Maybe some of our unguaranteed contracts (Jerrells?) with possibly a 2nd round draft pick or something.

In the FA thread in main forum it's been said that Portland has problems with him + they now have way too many guys at his position.

mountainballer
07-11-2010, 11:02 AM
James Anderson rights + Hairston/Gee for Fernandez!

DPG21920
07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
That is tough because I think Anderson can be a good player. I don't know if Rudy's upside is enough to trade Anderson for, but then again, if you were to tell me the Spurs could get Rudy for essentially the 20th pick before the draft I would have done that without thinking.

MaNu4Tres
07-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Fernandez was touted as the next Manu Ginobili of the league when he was brought over and instead his game has replicated Brent Barry (late Sonic years;early Spur years) at best.

Spurs should give him a look closer to the deadline if things don't pan out so well with Anderson, Hairston and Gee.

Spurs first need to find out what they have in those three players though, most specifically Anderson and Hairston.

mountainballer
07-11-2010, 11:31 AM
That is tough because I think Anderson can be a good player. I don't know if Rudy's upside is enough to trade Anderson for, but then again, if you were to tell me the Spurs could get Rudy for essentially the 20th pick before the draft I would have done that without thinking.

absolutely a no brainer IMO.

if Anderson once is as good as Fernandez, Spurs will be pretty lucky.

point is, Fernandez is 25, has experience and proven to be a legit NBA player, who can hit the 3 at a high rate. he could come in and fill Mason's spot immediately. (would even be a huge upgrade over Mason)
Anderson (like all rookies) needs to prove his NBA ability at all. he might not be able to deliver much in the next 2 seasons. he might even turn out to be the next Morris Almond.
but the Spurs will need as much help from the role players as they can get.

DPG21920
07-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Anderson was, by all accounts, a top 15 player in the draft. Almost a lottery pick. I think you have to wait and see what you have in him before doing a trade. I can see your logic, but I think the Spurs should wait it out.

I don't think it is a stretch to think Anderson, with his abilities, can reach at least Rudy's level.

Bruno
07-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a true problem with Fernandez attitude.

He whined to the Spanish press about a lack of playing time and shots and said that he would like to come back home. I could have understand it if he was in the doghouse with Blazers but he played significant minutes with them.

I'm skeptical that he has the mental strength to play under Pop. if Spurs can get on the cheap, why not. If Spurs had to give up Hill or Blair or Anderson or a future first round pick, no thanks.

mountainballer
07-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Anderson is was, by all accounts, a top 15 player in the draft. Almost a lottery pick. I think you have to wait and see what you have in him before doing a trade. I can see your logic, but I think the Spurs should wait it out.

I don't think it is a stretch to think Anderson, with his abilities, can reach at least Rudy's level.

I see and respect your point.
I was trying to point out what I would do, if I had the chance to get Rudy.
(I have been a big fan from his Euro days).
btw. I think he is much better than what he was able (or willing?) to show last season.

kobyz
07-11-2010, 11:54 AM
i don't think we should trade for Fernandez because of James Anderson - i like him better for us, i do think we need to make a trade, it's an important year for us, we need to make all to get better, we need to use all our assets for a trade: unguaranteed contracts future first round picks, but not for Fernandez, find other player, rather SF.

DesignatedT
07-11-2010, 12:12 PM
With the signing of Wesley Johnson, I don' see what use they have for Fernandez. they are stacked at the G position.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Portand are stacked at the swing, and we could do with one more. I love Rudy's upside, and we absolutely should swing a deal to grab him is possible. It would mean that Manu would have to play quite a bit of SF, but that's fine - he's a good rebounder for his size.

erikuff
07-12-2010, 05:14 AM
Let's do it. This kid as a jumper and the athleticism we need from the bench

Chieflion
07-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Needed a bump. Consider as extra discussion for the Think Tank.

mountainballer
07-28-2010, 01:44 AM
same as before the bump. I would give a lot to get him.
still the same picture: the most logical and probably only intriguing trade package includes Anderson.
maybe (really only maybe) a package with the 2011 1st rounder and DeColo's rights could get something done, but I doubt it. (Blazers will want a player in return who could play next season).
however, considering the quality gap between Tony, Manu, Hill, RJ and whoever is the next player in the rotation, Rudy would be in fact a great upgrade and provide exactly what we will ask from players, who haven't played a single NBA games combined. (Anderson and Neal)

elemento
07-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Rudy Fernandez wants to be a starter and he doesn't want to play in Portland anymore.

Why should we give Portland our 1st pick or any of our players if they want to get rid of him ?

Rudy for a 2nd round pick fine. If they don't want, fuck Portland. Send him back to Europe.

mountainballer
07-28-2010, 04:48 AM
oh well. that much about raising the bar.
btw. players get bashed because they want to start? great.
btw2: a starting line up of Tony-Rudy-RJ looks pretty good, with Manu and Hill from the bench. no problem there.

Chieflion
07-28-2010, 06:02 AM
The big unknown here is James Anderson. If he plays well, I don't think there is a need for us to get Rudy Fernandez.

ceperez
07-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Never been clear to me why he wants out of Portland.

If it's the lack of playing time, it is likely that he will have even less in the Spurs.

Anderson for Fernandez is a risky but equal trade.

It may boil down to team chemistry. If Fernandez can get back some fire while playing with Manu then maybe it's worth pulling the trigger. However, big IF.

mountainballer
07-28-2010, 09:49 AM
The big unknown here is James Anderson. If he plays well, I don't think there is a need for us to get Rudy Fernandez.

same answer as a few posts back, we won't have found out till mid season, if Anderson is a legit NBA player at all (like is the case with all rookies) and how much help he can provide in the next two seasons. Fernandez is on the market right now and he proved what he can deliver in the NBA. (I still think this was only a small part of what he could do, if he was in the right place).
again, I don't want to say that Anderson might not have the higher ceiling, but in the next two years we can get much more from Fernandez, than we can hope (even in a best case scenario) to get from Anderson.

ace3g
07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Report: Bulls in talks for Fernandez

The Oregonian reported Tuesday night that the Bulls are among three teams engaged in trade talks with the Trail Blazers for swingman Rudy Fernandez.

Fernandez, long rumored to be available, also is being linked to talks with the Celtics and Knicks, the paper reported, citing Fernandez's agent, Andy Miller.

The Bulls still are seeking to add outside shooting for their 12th contracted player after witnessing an underwhelming workout from Tracy McGrady on Monday. The Bulls also have had conversations with representatives for shooting guards like Keith Bogans, Roger Mason Jr. and Eddie House, sources previously told the Tribune.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0728-bulls-chicago--20100727,0,4190684.story

AFBlue
07-28-2010, 12:45 PM
I would love for the Spurs to get this guy. He seems like a perfect player to slot in at the starting 2 spot.

Having said that, who are the Spurs giving up to get him? The latest rumor is that the Blazers turned down the Bulls' offer of James Johnson, so it seems like the bar has been set at Hill or Blair for the Spurs.

As much as I love Rudy, the primadonna attitude and risk that he returns to Europe are too much to give up either Hill or Blair.

8FOR!3
07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry, but no way would I trade James Anderson for him. Anderson doesn't have the attitude issue and he's got much more upside. Younger at that.

The only way I would consider acquiring him would be through Tony Parker, but they'd have to give us Andre Miller and an Oden or Aldridge for that. No way he's a Spur next year.

And for the record, I'm not saying that James Anderson is any better than Rudy Fernandez RIGHT NOW, but for all we know, this guy could be a star and there is nothing proving otherwise.

RiverwalkParade
07-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Parker and McDyess for Camby, Rudy, Miller, and Eli0tt Williams would be fine with me

cd98
07-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I've heard negative things about Rudy and his first NBA season, while good, was not spectacular. His career has been lackluster since. I think he's a bit overrated.

More importantly, Portland overrates its roster. Sure, it has young talent with potential. But most of their potential has not worked out. For example, they wanted big time players for Outlaw for his first few years in the league. Teams balked at the high asking price. Time has shown that he has not been near what Portland wanted for him, even if he was able to dupe NJ into a big contract.

mountainballer
07-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I've heard negative things about Rudy and his first NBA season, while good, was not spectacular. His career has been lackluster since. I think he's a bit overrated.

whatever your words exactly mean. yeah his rookie season....he only set a new NBA rookie record for number of three-point field goals made (159). and his lackluster career has seen as much as 2 NBA seasons. jesus.
however, rumors have Celtics as the front runners to land him and as we know, this is a pretty clueless organisation. for sure they overrate him.
what about this thesis: at this point Fernandez is one of the most underrated players in the NBA? if it would in fact be possible to get him for a future 1st rounder (a late 1st rounder), he will be a steal. if Celtics get him that way, it will pay huge dividends for them.

cd98
07-28-2010, 05:51 PM
whatever your words exactly mean. yeah his rookie season....he only set a new NBA rookie record for number of three-point field goals made (159). and his lackluster career has seen as much as 2 NBA seasons. jesus.
however, rumors have Celtics as the front runners to land him and as we know, this is a pretty clueless organisation. for sure they overrate him.
what about this thesis: at this point Fernandez is one of the most underrated players in the NBA? if it would in fact be possible to get him for a future 1st rounder (a late 1st rounder), he will be a steal. if Celtics get him that way, it will pay huge dividends for them.

How'd he do last year?

Chieflion
07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
How'd he do last year?

Had an injury-plagued season. Mostly his back. Didn't perform that well with below average PER of 14.4. His defense is below average, but he was handcuffed with his creativity on offense tied behind his back because he was mainly the spot-up shooter.

Heard he wanted an increased role on another team, which means more playing time. He didn't state whether he wants to start or not.

cd98
07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Had an injury-plagued season. Mostly his back. Didn't perform that well with below average PER of 14.4. His defense is below average, but he was handcuffed with his creativity on offense tied behind his back because he was mainly the spot-up shooter.

Heard he wanted an increased role on another team, which means more playing time. He didn't state whether he wants to start or not.

Players with bad backs at 25 tend to never fully recover. Problem with him is you don't know if you're trading for the rookie version or the second year version.

His second year version is not worth a number one pick.

I'd pass on a guy this questionable unless I really had to give up little to nothing. He's not worth Hill, Blair, or Anderson.

mountainballer
07-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Fernandez injured his back in March 2009, when he was fouled pretty hard by Ariza. it's not that he has a bad back in the mold of Tyson Chandler.
he likely didn't get the right treatment after the injury and started to play again way to early. he played thru a lot of pain when last season started and still did pretty well during November. (shooting 40% 3s). then the doctors discovered that some bone material or whatever put pressure on a nerve. he underwent a microdiscectomy, first they thought he will be out for 3 months, but he came back after 5 weeks. likely to early again, maybe Portland forced it a bit because Roy was out in January either and Blazers didn't want to lose track on the PO.

however, there was a reason that explains his struggle last season and that surgery isn't something that couldn't be totally healed with patience and the right treatment.

btw. character and the "Diva" reproach....
people constantly ignore that no other Euro player has ever left that much money on the table, when Fernandez agreed to come over on a rookie deal. no, he didn't play the 3 years in Spain for the best contract Barcelona has ever offered to a player and then join the Blazers for much more money than a rookie contract. he came immediately. and we won't ever know what the Blazers promised, but let's assume they promised a pretty prominent role on the team.
so yes, he does have some rights to be disappointed, especially when he feels the coach and team didn't treat him right during the injury. and don't forget, they also traded away his best friend Sergio Rodriguez, one of the major reasons why he came to Portland on such a bad contract. (Sergio was also the player, who perfectly introduced most of Rudy's 3s during his rookie season. something neither Roy nor Miller did the following season)

ok, sorry. to many words on this topic. just my reaction to all the clueless assessments about him.
mark my words: one team (Celtics ?) will be very happy with him and in some months we will have several threads how the Spurs could miss out on the opportunity to get Rudy. likely from the same people who now downplay his abilities.

elemento
07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
son do you have a Rudy's fanclub or something?

cd98
07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Fernandez injured his back in March 2009, when he was fouled pretty hard by Ariza. it's not that he has a bad back in the mold of Tyson Chandler.
he likely didn't get the right treatment after the injury and started to play again way to early. he played thru a lot of pain when last season started and still did pretty well during November. (shooting 40% 3s). then the doctors discovered that some bone material or whatever put pressure on a nerve. he underwent a microdiscectomy, first they thought he will be out for 3 months, but he came back after 5 weeks. likely to early again, maybe Portland forced it a bit because Roy was out in January either and Blazers didn't want to lose track on the PO.

however, there was a reason that explains his struggle last season and that surgery isn't something that couldn't be totally healed with patience and the right treatment.

btw. character and the "Diva" reproach....
people constantly ignore that no other Euro player has ever left that much money on the table, when Fernandez agreed to come over on a rookie deal. no, he didn't play the 3 years in Spain for the best contract Barcelona has ever offered to a player and then join the Blazers for much more money than a rookie contract. he came immediately. and we won't ever know what the Blazers promised, but let's assume they promised a pretty prominent role on the team.
so yes, he does have some rights to be disappointed, especially when he feels the coach and team didn't treat him right during the injury. and don't forget, they also traded away his best friend Sergio Rodriguez, one of the major reasons why he came to Portland on such a bad contract. (Sergio was also the player, who perfectly introduced most of Rudy's 3s during his rookie season. something neither Roy nor Miller did the following season)

ok, sorry. to many words on this topic. just my reaction to all the clueless assessments about him.
mark my words: one team (Celtics ?) will be very happy with him and in some months we will have several threads how the Spurs could miss out on the opportunity to get Rudy. likely from the same people who now downplay his abilities.

I don't think they are clueless assertions. I have league pass and I've seen him play plenty.

Your injury argument sounds like excuses. If Portland thought they had gold, they wouldn't trade him. And they wouldn't sit him on the bench.

As for trade rumors, Boston is linked to every trade rumor. And don't overrate their GM. Sure Ainge used his relationship to steal Garnett, but most of the free agents and trades they have done have been duds. Daniels anyone? Rasheed Wallace? Michael Finely?

I'm not saying that he (Fernandez) has no value, but no one is going to give up top talent for a question mark. And I wouldn't trade Blair, Hill, or Anderson for him. Sure, I'd part with our D-leaguers, but Portland wouldn't want them.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
ESPN seem to think he might be going to the Knicks

toki9
07-29-2010, 10:03 PM
If he's fully healed and mentally ready to go, then i'd think he'd be a good pickup...nice shot and nice court sense and vision...

admiralsnackbar
07-29-2010, 10:18 PM
If he's fully healed and mentally ready to go, then i'd think he'd be a good pickup...nice shot and nice court sense and vision...

No doubt, but the question is who do you give up in exchange? Blair? Hill? I'd probably sacrifice Anderson since I know fuck-all about him, frankly... but I doubt that he and picks would be enough.

mountainballer
07-30-2010, 04:13 AM
I'm not saying that he (Fernandez) has no value, but no one is going to give up top talent for a question mark. And I wouldn't trade Blair, Hill, or Anderson for him. Sure, I'd part with our D-leaguers, but Portland wouldn't want them.

who is talking about Hill and Blair?? of course you don't offer them for Fernandez. the question was Anderson or the 2011 1st round pick. all my points try to justify why I think such a trade would be a good move.

and I don't start a discussion about the quality of a FO, that made two NBA finals in 3 years and was 1 half shy of a 2nd title in that span. that's beyond ridiculous.

toki9
07-30-2010, 01:48 PM
No doubt, but the question is who do you give up in exchange? Blair? Hill? I'd probably sacrifice Anderson since I know fuck-all about him, frankly... but I doubt that he and picks would be enough.

Yeah, i know...the Spurs either don't have the pieces to get it done, or don't want to give up the pieces to get it done...but maybe we could get Presti to do us a solid and convince Cho to pull a Wallace? (Yeah, pipe dream).

Bruno
07-30-2010, 02:13 PM
If Spurs do a trade for Rudy, James Anderson must be include. It would make no sense to have both on the roster. I don't know if Blazers would be interested in him, maybe a 3 team trade should be done. Anderson for Rudy works salary wise. Draft picks can't be traded for 30 days, Spurs and Blazers can have a verbal agreement now on the deal and do it in August.

There are serious reasons for Spurs to do or not do this trade. Rudy is very talented but he has some injuries and attitude issues. Personally, I wouldn't do it but if the rights to Claver were added, I would likely do it.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Fernandez is a deadly player. The guy can straight up play basketball and would give us another manu type play maker. If they can somehow pull this deal off it would be fantastic even if it still doesn't solve our size issue on the wing. A Parker-Hill-Manu-Rudy type backcourt would just be insane with the ball. IMO I believe Portland will trade Rudy and I don't think it will take much to get him (1st rounder) but the likes of them trading him to a conference competitor are slim when I'm sure many teams around the league will be willing to offer that but then again you can't trade picks now so I don't think anything happens soon.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I'd love to see Rudy as a Spur, and if we could nab him for a future first that would be a no-brainer.

07-30-2010, 11:49 PM
don't really want the spurs acquiring another shooter with questionable defense. a swap of anderson and rudy would make sense but the blazers will ask for more. rudy isn't worth that much to the spurs. also, rudy would be the third string SG, a limited role he apparently despises.

galvatron3000
07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't trade Anderson for Rudy. Spurs don't need anymore guard we did this last season. We should run with the guys we have unless we can get a legitimate Sf otherwise forget it. Now I'd consider trading Hill but we need a backup Pg in return not another Sg.

SpurSpurSpurs
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I hope the FO can pull this trade off. I want to see Rudy play Spurs ball.

Pop to Rudy: run as fast as you can on fast breaks and just stay on the corner 3 during half court plays and you'll be fine :ihit

admiralsnackbar
08-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, i know...the Spurs either don't have the pieces to get it done, or don't want to give up the pieces to get it done...but maybe we could get Presti to do us a solid and convince Cho to pull a Wallace? (Yeah, pipe dream).

Presti works for OKC. You're thinking Pritchard, who is no longer with the Blazers.

DesignatedT
08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't trade Anderson for Rudy. Spurs don't need anymore guard we did this last season. We should run with the guys we have unless we can get a legitimate Sf otherwise forget it. Now I'd consider trading Hill but we need a backup Pg in return not another Sg.

you wont trade anderson but you would trade hill?

ducks
08-05-2010, 11:47 PM
I think phil would trade tp for him

ducks
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
sounds like he is afraid of real competition
loser

elemento
08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
the guy is a pussy and a headcase

PASS

mountainballer
08-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Who knows what will happen with this guy. Someone just told mr they read over twitter that he wants to go back to Europe and stop playing in the NBA

likely based on this article, where Rudy's agent is quoted:

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2010/08/18/rudy-portland-on-collision-course/
“Portland and I have had numerous discussions, almost daily, on the situation,” Andy Miller told HoopsHype.com. “I think this situation is headed for a collision course because Rudy’s perspective on where he wants to be and what he wants to do and how he wants to accomplish it is on the opposite of the spectrum from where Portland sees the situation.
I don’t think (the relationship) is reparable.”
(http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2010/08/18/rudy-portland-on-collision-course/)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to go back home. There are a lot of players European born that have NBA skill but don't want to play in the NBA. America is a completely different life style.

agree.
he has left a boatload of money on the table to come to the NBA and play on a rookie contract for 4 years. book it, he was promised a certain role in Portland and he also came over to play alongside his best friend.
Rodriguez is traded away and his role in Portland is marginalised.
yes, he does have a right to be disappointed.
btw. it doesn't need that disappointment, to start dream about playing and living in Barcelona.

Bruno
08-19-2010, 07:24 AM
The problem for Rudy, if he wants to go back in Europe, is that he will have to clear waivers after being waived by Blazers.

More than 15 teams have enough a cap space or a trade exception big enough to claim him form waivers. I can easily see one of these teams claiming Fernandez form waivers even if he wishes to go back in Spain. It's a damn goo gamble to make.

The less worst best solution for Portland is to trade him even if they don't get a great return for him.

Mel_13
08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Why not do what V-Span did with the Spurs and agree to a $0 buyout? Rudy can easily go public and say that he will not play in the NBA next season. Basketball is about going out there and playing hard. If you just go through the motions and don't want to be where you are you won't perform well.

Bruno answered your question in the post above yours. Before any buyout can be finalized, the player must clear waivers. Rudy is on the books for 1.25M in 2010-11 with a team option for 2.2M in 2011-12. Some team will take the gamble to claim him at that price and try to convince him that he can fit in their system.

V-Span was on the books for 2M that season and had sucked as a rookie. He cleared waivers with no problems.

mountainballer
08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
from Jonathan Givony (draftexpress)

For the record, I still think Rudy Fernandez could be a VERY useful NBA player. Shame NBA fans haven't gotten to see everything he can do.
2010-08-19 09:11:10

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/twitter.php#ixzz0x3uNXaAj

this.
that's why I've been writing all those posts that made me look like his father or agent.

Bruno
08-19-2010, 09:55 AM
that's why I've been writing all those posts that made me look like his father or agent.

I'm sure a lot of people (including me) will agree with you that Rudy is a major talent. He was amazing in Europe in 07-08 and during his NBA rookie season in 08-09.

The problem, when it comes about him as a Spur, isn't the talent. Rudy wants to leave Portland because he doesn't get enough minutes, doesn't take enough shots and the system doesn't fit him. What will change for him is he end up in SA: more minutes? more shoots? a better system? Not really... IMO, Rudy has a good chance of being as unhappy with Spurs than he is with Blazers

mountainballer
08-20-2010, 02:22 AM
if Rudy is only happy if he got 35 MPG and 15 shots a game, then yes, this role he won't find with the Spurs either. (this doesn't say he couldn't play such a role on an average team and be successful. much like Kevin Martin for example)
but I think his role with the Spurs could be a little bit more satisfying than what he played in Portland last season. he wouldn't get more minutes (he would take the role and minutes of Mason, plus a few more minutes and shots from the pool), but the Spurs offense is much more balanced than the Blazers, were all goes through Roy (who is on court pretty much permanently, minus some garbage minutes) and then Aldridge and where his limited spot up shooter role he even had to share with Webster.
even Mason's role with the Spurs, with Mason as the much less skilled player, was much more versatile than what Rudy had to play in Portland.
so yes, Rudy would likely get a role that gives him a better chance to use his whole skill set with the Spurs.
just a wild guess. he would play 24 minutes, get 8-9 shots per game (4 threes) and he would average 11-12 PPG. again, I don't know if that's what he is looking for, as he won't be the star of the team. but this role is clearly more prominent than his role in Portland.

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't like Rudy's attitude (even if Portland did treat him unfairly or broke a promise). He could have handled things better.

But the Spurs should definitely make an offer. Rudy could easily start here at SG along side TP and that would be fantastic. Talent wise he would fit easily. Maybe playing alongside Manu & TP could help him as well.

BronxCowboy
08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
He's an incredible talent. I don't know what happened between him and Portland, but when a girl has herpes, you don't ask her where she got it; you just don't sleep with her.

yavozerb
08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
He's an incredible talent. I don't know what happened between him and Portland, but when a girl has herpes, you don't ask her where she got it; you just don't sleep with her.

Ok, about this girl, how hot is she?

BronxCowboy
08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok, about this girl, how hot is she?

:lol

mountainballer
08-21-2010, 07:49 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/286/knicks-in-the-mix-for-rudy-fernandez
The Knicks are among the teams trying to acquire the Spanish shooting guard, and they have offered Wilson Chandler.

if the Blazers balk on this offer, they are complete morons. Chandler is a very nice compensation for Rudy.
(ok, they now have a lot of options at the wing, but Chandler would be their best perimeter defender)

yavozerb
08-21-2010, 08:28 AM
if the Blazers balk on this offer, they are complete morons. Chandler is a very nice compensation for Rudy.
(ok, they now have a lot of options at the wing, but Chandler would be their best perimeter defender)

I would still go with Batum as their best defender...But yes, I agree, if this is indeed the offer from the knicks, the blazers just need to except and move on.

ChuckD
08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Honestly? With all of the noise he's making about going back to Europe, he probably will. He'll be a RFA next summer, and will want to get paid. That's also when the owners are going to lock out the players. You think Rudy's going to wait out a work stoppage?

Any team that acquires him needs to look at him as a one year rental.

mikeb2016
08-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Honestly? With all of the noise he's making about going back to Europe, he probably will. He'll be a RFA next summer, and will want to get paid. That's also when the owners are going to lock out the players. You think Rudy's going to wait out a work stoppage?

Any team that acquires him needs to look at him as a one year rental.

Not the Knicks...Rudy Fernandez would all of sudden find himself a pretty happy guy playing for D'Antoni, getting lots of minutes and shots. He also is not an RFA next year, he has one more option year left. That means he will be cheap for another year while the Knicks make their run after Carmelo, and then they can overpay him on an extension the following year (assuming the new CBA does not have a hard cap preventing too many overpaid players).

The Chandler for Fernandez offer is a pretty good deal for both sides...the Knicks are going to all of a sudden have no need for SF's when Carmelo is traded or signs there, and the Blazers will have taken a big step in trying to build a club using the Khan Model...an entire starting lineup at one position.

I recognize that I typify idiotic and moronic low post counters by even suggesting this, but isn't it a shame that the Spurs committed too much to their presumed starting SF for the next three years, to even realistically think that they could get involved in a three way trade involving Fernandez, Chandler, and whatever the Spurs would reasonably offer Portland that Portland would be willing to take.

Forgive me,that was silly...Portland never accepts reasonable offers.

dbestpro
08-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Portland has a history of holding onto their prospects when they could be moved collectively for allstar talent. Imagine what Outlaw and Websiter would have fetched 2 years ago verses what they have now. I think the problem is they do not want to pay for allstar talent and hope one of the younglings will become a Roy and still allow them to pay them on the cheap.

mountainballer
08-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Blazer lost track a bit, when turning from rebuilding/youngster team to PO team.
(blame a lot to what happened with Oden). now they have a building block in Roy and Aldridge, which is nice, but won't deliver a championship.
I guess they once more try to find out what Oden can deliver this season. if he finally can stay healthy, a front court of him and Aldridge still looks like a pretty good idea. if they see they can never really count on him, they will try to turn young talent into an established star.
money isn't the issue there, they already increased their pay roll to lux tax territory again (after being significantly under the cap last year) and I think one of the reasons to re sign Camby to a pretty high contract was to produce a high salary as filler for trades.
however, I do think they would now do a trade of two or three talents for an all star, if there is an offer. two years ago they thought Roy, Aldridge and Oden are the core and the many young players they had would develop into good role players.

ceperez
08-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Player is still young, can't blame him for wanting to play with more minutes in Europe. The guy probably needs to play with passion or not at all.

Spurs don't really have playing time to give him.

Nor do the Spurs have anything to trade.

Nice to get the player, but its just not in the cards.

ChuckD
08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
He also is not an RFA next year, he has one more option year left. That means he will be cheap for another year while the Knicks make their run after Carmelo, and then they can overpay him on an extension the following year (assuming the new CBA does not have a hard cap preventing too many overpaid players).

Nope, year four, the year after next for Rudy, isn't an option, it's a qualifying offer to keep him restricted within the NBA, but he IS a free agent after year three, or, this coming season. That's exactly how Josh Childress left the Hawks and went to Greece.

I'm 99% sure that he's going back to Europe for at least a season during the work stoppage unless someone trades for him and gets him extended for stupid money before the new CBA kicks in.

Mel_13
08-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Nope, year four, the year after next for Rudy, isn't an option, it's a qualifying offer to keep him restricted within the NBA, but he IS a free agent after year three, or, this coming season. That's exactly how Josh Childress left the Hawks and went to Greece.

I'm 99% sure that he's going back to Europe for at least a season during the work stoppage unless someone trades for him and gets him extended for stupid money before the new CBA kicks in.

Rudy will not be an RFA next summer. Assuming that he plays in the NBA in 2010-11, he will either be under contract for one more year in 2011-12 or he will be an unrestricted FA.

Rudy is entering the third season of his rookie scale contract. The team that holds his rights has until Oct 31, 2010 to exercise the 4th year team option on his contract. If exercised, Rudy will be under contract for 2.18M for the 2011-12 season and could possibly be an RFA in the summer of 2012. If the team option is not exercised, Rudy will be an unrestricted FA in the summer of 2011.

mountainballer
09-13-2010, 09:13 AM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=128435740812447600
Behind the scenes, Cho continues work on accommodating Rudy Fernandez’s trade request. The first-year GM has some options, and I’m getting the feeling he might pull the trigger on something before camp. Wes Matthews is the new backup to Brandon Roy at shooting guard, and Fernandez’s appearance (or non-appearance) at camp could prove to be a distraction nobody needs.

much like Spain Rudy didn't have the most successful WC. on the other hand, he did remind the GMs on several occasions what a fantastic shooter he can be. from midrange as well as downtown. so there will be offers. but I really wonder what the Blazers expect. if true that they turned down the offer of Wilson Chandler, they are asking for a lot. (which is ok of course, any GM needs to at least try and I'm pretty sure Cho wanted to wait how Rudy performs at the WC). yes, they didn't really need Chandler (with Batum and Babbitt) and preferred a pick, (which the Knicks don't have).
what about a 3 teams deal? Spurs 2011 pick to Blazers, Rudy to Knicks and Chandler to Spurs? (with some fillers to make the numbers work)

mountainballer
09-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Rudy Fernandez: I don't want to play in NBA anymore; will ask for release to return to Spain with family.
http://twitter.com/blazerbanter/statuses/25719758820

if the Blazers still have been in trade talks with other teams, this will end it.
(reportedly Rudy has balked at a trade to NO last week)
too bad. I liked the idea of Rudy playing in NY for D'Antony.

ChuckD
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
He's turned into Vaginitis Spandex's emo brother.

yavozerb
09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
The blazers have offcially screwed themself out of any compensation for this guy..I believe teams were offering 1st rd picks for Fernandez and the blazers were turning them down. I am not sure why any team would offer them anything for Fernandez cause the blazers have lost all leverage in trading him. This would have felt alot better if Pritchard was still there but oh well...

ChuckD
09-28-2010, 07:33 PM
The blazers have offcially screwed themself out of any compensation for this guy..I believe teams were offering 1st rd picks for Fernandez and the blazers were turning them down. I am not sure why any team would offer them anything for Fernandez cause the blazers have lost all leverage in trading him. This would have felt alot better if Pritchard was still there but oh well...

Yup. They totally misread the situation. I think they had no idea how much he wanted out. Shit, they usually dump their complementary talent before extension time anyway (Outlaw, Frye, Webster). Why not ship him out one year early? He's not going to play hard for them, even if they do force the issue and refuse to trade or release him.

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
vNPRF-7BTh0

MaNu4Tres
10-07-2010, 01:08 AM
vNPRF-7BTh0

Thank god Manu didn't have a vagina like this guy and Spanoulis.

How can the Blazers still carry this guy on their team when his heart is not into it?

If I'm Paul Allen and Rich Cho I'd release his ass on the spot.

Unbelievable...

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2010, 01:11 AM
If I'm Paul Allen and Rich Cho I'd release his ass on the spot.

Unbelievable...

why release him even if they are payin his ass, just tell him stay at home and dont bother turnning up....lowers his value

venitian navigator
10-07-2010, 03:59 AM
This interview is embarassing, and no doubts that lower (let's say destroy) the market value of the player.
Frankly, after this I can't understand how Portland could decide not to sell him for any kind of compensation...
On the other and, he points out some real problem that players can have with the nba.
82 games are obviously too many to play, expecially with a so small time to rest between games (think to back to back games, for example)...if you have not a strong body, that schedule kills you.
Add the play-off games and, in case of european players like Rudy (or Parker or Gino for our team), also the european or world competition, that happens practically every year, and in a few years your body starts to scream for help and rest (or, more simply, starts to break, piece by piece).
All this considered, I think in time nba teams will realize (maybe they already realized thios, and some alleged injury is just a fake one) you need not only to have a good and long roster in all the available players (15 at the moment) but to intentionally let some guys at home for some regular season games, also if they do not have any kind of injuries...simply for let them rest enough for mantain their bodyes in good energy shape for all the season.

dunkman
10-07-2010, 04:34 AM
He should have stayed in Europe 3 more years as Splitter. Would have earned a lot more during that time and could have escaped the rookie scale.

Right now he's getting paid a fraction of what he could get in Spain, can't blame him for not wanting to stay 2 more years. He will be 27 by then.

His career isn't going in the right direction to expect a big contract after the rookie contract expires. He also mentioned some back injury, those injuries are career threatening.

mountainballer
10-08-2010, 04:48 AM
last night Jeff Pendergraph injured his knee. (status uncertain, MRI today)

this means the Blazers are currently down to one healthy big (Aldridge).
Camby isn't 100% (groin), Oden and Przybilla are still rehabilitating.

if Pendergraph is out for some time as some fear, the Blazers will for sure intensify their effort to finally get back something for Rudy, namely a big and they might talk new scenarios.
(can't tell if any team wants to take the risk to trade for Rudy, who still might want to go home)

however. you can't blame Rudy to not do the best he can on the court to remind other teams that he IS one of the premium shooters in the league.
(9-12 3s in his two pre season games!)

ChuckD
10-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't think it even matters if the Blazers are willing to deal him now. Rudy has pretty much convinced everyone that he's a one year rental if they do acquire him. They'll get shit for him, if anyone is even interested.

ChuckD
10-09-2010, 06:42 PM
cnnsi is reporting Pendergraph is out for the year with a torn ACL.

Danny.Zhu
10-09-2010, 10:24 PM
last night Jeff Pendergraph injured his knee. (status uncertain, MRI today)

this means the Blazers are currently down to one healthy big (Aldridge).
Camby isn't 100% (groin), Oden and Przybilla are still rehabilitating.

if Pendergraph is out for some time as some fear, the Blazers will for sure intensify their effort to finally get back something for Rudy, namely a big and they might talk new scenarios.
(can't tell if any team wants to take the risk to trade for Rudy, who still might want to go home)

however. you can't blame Rudy to not do the best he can on the court to remind other teams that he IS one of the premium shooters in the league.
(9-12 3s in his two pre season games!)

Hope they like Bonner...

mountainballer
10-11-2010, 06:15 AM
there was a rumor (ok, it was the NY post tough) that the Blazers tried to get into the Melo trade. (reportedly they wanted Harris and offered Miller). no info if Rudy would have been involved either.
not big news, but it just tells, that the Blazers are still pretty active to get something done and the news that Pendergraph is out for the season won't exactly change this.
and the latest report about Oden says he won't be ready to play before new year.
Spurs should have an eye at the Blazers. something will happen there soon. maybe a chance to get into a bigger deal and that way get a perimeter defender.

benefactor
10-12-2010, 07:13 AM
http://twitter.com/MoodyFernandez

mountainballer
10-12-2010, 08:15 AM
watch out, tomorrow there will be a story from Peter Vecsey using this as a "reliable source".
ok, maybe not tomorrow. he isn't that fast.

btw "sources"
the net is still full with comments from (real and wannabe) Knicks insiders like this:

Rudy Fernandez slapped with $50G fine for publicizing want out of PDX. Knicks still interested, but POR has to accept offer of 2nd rndrs
http://twitter.com/alanhahn

however. one thing none can deny: Rudy is still playing very good in this preseason. 14-22 (64%) from downtown in 4 games. not bad for a player who hates to wear that uniform.

again:
a trade of Rudy to the Knicks is probably the best chance the Spurs have to somehow land the perimeter defender, who is still missing. the whole thing could even be turned into a more elaborated 3 or 4 teams deal, with the Spurs sending out Dice and the 1st rounder and getting back Chandler and another piece.

AlleyOopNazi
10-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Pshhh.... Please

yavozerb
10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
watch out, tomorrow there will be a story from Peter Vecsey using this as a "reliable source".
ok, maybe not tomorrow. he isn't that fast.

btw "sources"
the net is still full with comments from (real and wannabe) Knicks insiders like this:

however. one thing none can deny: Rudy is still playing very good in this preseason. 14-22 (64%) from downtown in 4 games. not bad for a player who hates to wear that uniform.

again:
a trade of Rudy to the Knicks is probably the best chance the Spurs have to somehow land the perimeter defender, who is still missing. the whole thing could even be turned into a more elaborated 3 or 4 teams deal, with the Spurs sending out Dice and the 1st rounder and getting back Chandler and another piece.

Not going anywhere...Only if the spurs are playing poorly at midseason do I even think of this trade

cd98
12-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Sorry, but this guy is a dud. Sure, he had a great career in Europe, and maybe he still can when his contract runs out and he returns to Spain.

This guy isn't playing like he's worth a 2nd round pick. Anyone that suggested we send Hill, Anderson, Blair, or our first round for next year for this guy should be ashamed.

And don't whine about his minutes. If he were that good, he would be stealing minutes from Roy, who had a bad knee and is currently undergoing minutes restrictions.

This guy has a poor attitude and if his 3 ball aint falling (and it has been all too inconsistent this year) then he is the equivalent of Roger Mason.

Pass.

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Sorry, but this guy is a dud. Sure, he had a great career in Europe, and maybe he still can when his contract runs out and he returns to Spain.

This guy isn't playing like he's worth a 2nd round pick. Anyone that suggested we send Hill, Anderson, Blair, or our first round for next year for this guy should be ashamed.

And don't whine about his minutes. If he were that good, he would be stealing minutes from Roy, who had a bad knee and is currently undergoing minutes restrictions.

This guy has a poor attitude and if his 3 ball aint falling (and it has been all too inconsistent this year) then he is the equivalent of Roger Mason.

Pass.

Yeah, he's pretty much flipping the middle finger to Portland's front office.

dunkman
12-12-2010, 03:11 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_background_images/157929994/rudymain.JPG

Too funny. . .

Bruno
12-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Rudy is having a crappy season. On the other hand, James Anderson showed great things before fractured his foot. Gary Neal is also a good surprise. With hindsight, it looks like Spurs were damn right to stand pat and not make a move for Rudy.

ChuckD
12-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Rudy is having a crappy season. On the other hand, James Anderson showed great things before fractured his foot. Gary Neal is also a good surprise. With hindsight, it looks like Spurs were damn right to stand pat and not make a move for Rudy.

I'm not sure the Spurs ever wanted him, including pre-draft. IIRC, timvp said that RC came back from scouting him unimpressed with his emo attitude, so this is really nothing new.

Darkwaters
12-15-2010, 09:48 AM
I was really high on this guy going into the draft and was heart broken when he was taken right before the Spurs drafted. Didn't realize he was such a bitch though. Glad we skipped him.

Darkwaters
12-15-2010, 10:08 AM
The prospect of getting in on a Trailblazers trade is fun, but I'm not sure what we could realistically want from them. They've got several wings that might be interesting:

Batum
Babbitt
Williams

But I'm not sure how we get any of those guys. Williams is probably unnecessary as at 6'4 hes not a great SF prospect. Plus, Gary Neal pretty much fills that role and is playing well for us at an even cheaper rate. Babbitt would be fun but hes a completely unproven talent at the NBA level and the Blazers probably don't want to pass on him so early, nor do the Spurs really know what they're getting. Clearly Batum would be of interest. But what would we have to give up? I know hes not starting anymore, but Batum is still a viable part of their rotation.

The only thing I can think of is getting in on a multi-team trade and pulling something away from someone else.

rjv
12-15-2010, 11:22 AM
I have a true problem with Fernandez attitude.

He whined to the Spanish press about a lack of playing time and shots and said that he would like to come back home. I could have understand it if he was in the doghouse with Blazers but he played significant minutes with them.

I'm skeptical that he has the mental strength to play under Pop. if Spurs can get on the cheap, why not. If Spurs had to give up Hill or Blair or Anderson or a future first round pick, no thanks.

yeah. i was big on fernandez when he first came into the league but he has proven to be soft too often and no where near the gritty and bad ass player manu is.

he has skills but his intangibles are lacking.

Bruno
12-15-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure the Spurs ever wanted him, including pre-draft. IIRC, timvp said that RC came back from scouting him unimpressed with his emo attitude, so this is really nothing new.

I don't know if Spurs wanted him but some poster here did (hence this 4 pages thread).

Darkwaters
12-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know if Spurs wanted him but some poster here did (hence this 4 pages thread).

Yea, I definitely led that charge. Pretty happy that didn't happen. Splitter seems to be a better long term consolation prize anyways.

angelbelow
12-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Lots of poster wanted him here.. many saw him as a good replacement for Manu. Its becoming more clear by the day that we should be thankful we didn't make a serious play for the guy.

Darkwaters
12-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Marco Belinelli was in that mix too. Of course, he went considerably higher when Golden State scooped him up at 18 (I believe). Then he lit up his first Summer League and we all thought to ourselves, "fuck this Splitter guy." Of course, Marco has been unspectacular, despite sparks. And Rudy has just been a bitch. Oh, and Petteri Koponen...yea, who?

angelbelow
12-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Marco Belinelli was in that mix too. Of course, he went considerably higher when Golden State scooped him up at 18 (I believe). Then he lit up his first Summer League and we all thought to ourselves, "fuck this Splitter guy." Of course, Marco has been unspectacular, despite sparks. And Rudy has just been a bitch. Oh, and Petteri Koponen...yea, who?

When Marco first entered the league, my impression of him was that he was a good to great shooter but I didn't hear much chatter about him being Ginobili-esqe, not until the NO fans at the beginning of this season saying that he was :lol.

Darkwaters
12-15-2010, 07:27 PM
When Marco first entered the league, my impression of him was that he was a good to great shooter but I didn't hear much chatter about him being Ginobili-esqe, not until the NO fans at the beginning of this season saying that he was :lol.

Well, he got a lot of buzz to that regard prior to the draft. He was hailed as a Ginobili knock-off that was more focused on shooting rather than driving to the hoop. I like him a lot, but hes nowhere near the level he was hailed to be at.

angelbelow
12-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, he got a lot of buzz to that regard prior to the draft. He was hailed as a Ginobili knock-off that was more focused on shooting rather than driving to the hoop. I like him a lot, but hes nowhere near the level he was hailed to be at.

Oh wait, I think i remember now, there was a lot of comparison to Michael Finley as well right? I think most of the "experts" at ESPN really like the pick too.

cd98
12-21-2010, 05:20 PM
The prospect of getting in on a Trailblazers trade is fun, but I'm not sure what we could realistically want from them. They've got several wings that might be interesting:

Batum
Babbitt
Williams

But I'm not sure how we get any of those guys. Williams is probably unnecessary as at 6'4 hes not a great SF prospect. Plus, Gary Neal pretty much fills that role and is playing well for us at an even cheaper rate. Babbitt would be fun but hes a completely unproven talent at the NBA level and the Blazers probably don't want to pass on him so early, nor do the Spurs really know what they're getting. Clearly Batum would be of interest. But what would we have to give up? I know hes not starting anymore, but Batum is still a viable part of their rotation.

The only thing I can think of is getting in on a multi-team trade and pulling something away from someone else.

Forget about trading with the Trailblazers. They are more unrealistic than NY Knick fans. They way overvalue all their players. They basically wanted a lottery pick for Fernandez. They had a high asking price for Outlaw before he left in free agency. You also have to be careful because they can swindle you into taking their injured players (see Twolves and Martell Webster).

mountainballer
12-29-2010, 05:03 AM
don't worry, I no longer think Rudy would be that good an idea for the Spurs. (less because of Anderson, more because Neal delivers most of what we could have expected from Rudy).
but I still have this "make a case for Rudy" reflex.
with Roy out, Rudy can show more of his qualities. (12.8 points, 4 assists, 43% 3s in 30 MPG.)
what I try to tell: Rudy IS better than he can show alongside Roy. no wonder he is that unlucky in Portland. he isn't a star. he isn't even very good.
but he can be pretty good, if he gets his niche. (let him just shoot or play the P&R, that's something he can execute beautifully)
I wonder why the Bully aren't mentioned, considering the several reports that they are in the market for a scoring guard.

mountainballer
12-29-2010, 06:09 PM
No. Spanoulis was the most overrated.

Darkwaters
12-29-2010, 10:30 PM
No. Spanoulis was the most overrated.

The Greek T-Mac!

Mel_13
12-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Every NBA fan here says Spanoulis sucks.

Almost every NBA fan here says Rubio is good (when he is one of the biggest scrubs in Euroleague).

Almost every NBA fan said Fernandez was great before he came to the NBA (when he could not even get into a serious club even)........

Most overrated European players to ever live by NBA fans:

1. Wicky Scrubio

2. Rudy Fernandez

Rudy has already far surpassed VSpan's accomplishments in the world's premier club league. That is undeniable.

jjktkk
12-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Every NBA fan here says Spanoulis sucks.

Almost every NBA fan here says Rubio is good (when he is one of the biggest scrubs in Euroleague).

Almost every NBA fan said Fernandez was great before he came to the NBA (when he could not even get into a serious club even)........

Most overrated European players to ever live by NBA fans:

1. Wicky Scrubio

2. Rudy Fernandez

Meh, Bill

Spursfanfromafar
12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I am a NBA fan.. and who is Spanoulis?

Mel_13
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
lol at video clips from the Dleague of European basketball.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Spamopolis is turrble.

Blackjack
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
:rollin