PDA

View Full Version : Could Miami's Super Team Be Broken Up After One

picnroll
07-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Could Miami's Super Team Be Broken Up After One

7/11/2010 4:50 PM ET By Sam Amick

Sam Amick
Senior NBA Writer
LAS VEGAS -- When Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert predicted that his Cavaliers would win a championship before The King and his Miami Heat Superfriends in his open letter to LeBron James, the assertion seemed about as foolish as the letter itself.

Yet Gilbert's inexplicable confidence in making the statement -- and lack of confidence in the Heat's new star-studded core -- may have stemmed from a scenario that has fast become a hot topic among the league's owners: The notion that the Miami Three of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh could be down to the Miami Two after just one season.

It is, in fact, a possibility.

With the league's collective bargaining agreement set to expire after next season, the owners are poised to go the way of the NHL and insist on a hard salary cap in the next deal that could be in the neighborhood of $45 million. If they are successful in that attempt -- likely after a lockout like the one endured by the NHL in 2004-05 -- the Heat and a number of other teams could be forced to release key players if their salaries surpassed the cap.

James, Wade and Bosh are reportedly scheduled to make a combined $43 million on their own next season with 10 percent annual raises thereafter, potentially meaning a nightmare scenario on South Beach. The Heat would hardly be alone in their despair, as the defending champion Lakers have approximately $80 million in committed salaries for the 2011-12 season and are slated to pay a combined $45 million for Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol alone.

The NBA currently has a soft salary cap, which includes numerous exceptions that allow teams to exceed the cap and a luxury tax threshold to deter teams from spending well beyond the cap. It is a system, however, that the owners are convinced no longer works in the current economic climate.

Commissioner David Stern claimed at the All-Star game in February that the owners are projected to lose approximately $400 million this season, with player's association director Billy Hunter later being quoted calling those projections "baloney." Considering the events that have transpired since, it's safe to say Hunter isn't done disputing Stern's position.

The announcement of the 2010-11 salary cap certainly didn't help Stern's argument, as the final figure of $58.044 million (with a $70.307 million luxury tax threshold) was not only higher than the $57.7 million cap figure from last season but approximately $2 million higher than was recently projected and far higher than low-end prediction of $50.3 million given by the league last year. What's more, the flurry of bloated free agent deals being given this month has players and agents alike rolling their eyes at the perceived disconnect between the words and deeds of the owners.

The NHL's negotiating history is worth analyzing, as the owners are clearly using it as a reference point for their position. That revelation is the next step in the process, as sources confirmed to FanHouse that the owners were recently given the Players Association's latest proposal and a miles-apart counter is to come.

In the case of the NHL, teams that lost players because of the new structure were given a week to buy out those contracts at a two-thirds rate. That money did not count against their cap, and those players could not re-sign with their current team. Additionally, all salaries on existing contracts were rolled back 24 percent.

All 30 teams will be represented at an owner's meeting Monday in Las Vegas, where they'll certainly discuss such matters. The meeting has been planned for months, although a counter proposal is not expected to be formalized during the session that is expected to last approximately three hours. It remains unclear which options the owners will consider that could help avoid the doomsday scenario and break-up of the Miami Three, whether it's grandfathering in contracts that were signed before the new CBA or perhaps implementing the hard cap in phases over numerous years to allow teams to make the necessary adjustments.

If not, however, Gilbert's seemingly-senseless prediction could wind up being right after all.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/11/could-miamis-super-team-be-broken-up-after-one-year/

DPG21920
07-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Ummm, no it couldn't, because the Cavs will still have no one.

picnroll
07-11-2010, 07:28 PM

If this came to pass teams with salary cap and good players on rookie contracts would be golden. Heat would be screwed.

DPG21920
07-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Any team with Lebron, or Wade, or Kobe, or Durant...would all be better off. Cavs will still suck regardless.

Basketballgirl25
07-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I do like the way NHL does things, NBA could be much better if it learned a little something from the NHL of course NHL could learn a little something from NBA as well, but that's another story

himat
07-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Kobe and Gasol take up that much money alone? :wow

Would teams be able to renegotiate contracts if this happened? If not a lot of teams will be in trouble, not just Miami.

And if they were able to I could see Bosh, Wade, and LeBron taking even less money. It looks like they really want to play together.

07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
first, stern would not let this happen. he worked way to hard to form lakers/celtics/heat to give it all up. second, why would the owners push for an immediate hard cap? every team would have to give up at least one of their core pieces and the players already have signed contracts. and then where will these players go if every team is already over the $45 million cap? lose-lose-lose situation for the league, players, and the owners.

MiamiHeat
07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
if that were to happen, bosh would be the odd man out lol

Basketballgirl25
07-11-2010, 07:54 PM

I actually agree with you for once:lol, although if it were to happen I think it would actually be better for them to keep Bosh and either Lebron or Wade, those two might be better then Bosh, but I still think they would be a much better team with Bosh and only one of them. IMO

picnroll
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM

.... and it would be LeBron, Wade and scrubs. Teams that could build 7 - 8 deep would kick their asses. It'd be pretty funny if this all backfired on the conspirators. Lotta owners would be laughing their asses off.

Darrin
07-11-2010, 07:58 PM
The scenario that I heard is that the league will essentially make everyone in the league a free agent, re-negotiating deals to get under the new cap. That would have to happen because if they grandfather the contracts, teams will not be able to afford it.

JamStone
07-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Did you read the entire article or just the first two paragraphs?

It's not about whether Cleveland would win a title before Miami.

picnroll
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Whatever they do I'd love to see a rock hard cap to level the playing field and eliminate the BS that always goes on in LA and just went on in Miami. Maybe Stern will figure out a competitive league is actually financially better for the majority.

DPG21920
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Did you read the entire article or just the first two paragraphs?

It's not about whether Cleveland would win a title before Miami.

I understand, I was commenting on the writer saying his prediction could become true based on the logic of his article.

Basketballgirl25
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Whatever they do I'd love to see a rock hard cap to level the playing field and eliminate the BS that always goes on in LA and just went on in Miami. Maybe Stern will figure out a competitive league is actually financially better for the majority.

I think a more level playing field would be so much better financially for the NBA, I know a lot more people who would watch and buy tickets to games if it were like that, but since it's not they all stick to baseball and football

Jace
07-11-2010, 11:17 PM
first, stern would not let this happen. he worked way to hard to form lakers/celtics/heat to give it all up. second, why would the owners push for an immediate hard cap? every team would have to give up at least one of their core pieces and the players already have signed contracts. and then where will these players go if every team is already over the $45 million cap? lose-lose-lose situation for the league, players, and the owners.

I agree about Stern I disagree about the owners, only the ones with $$ would be upset about this. Lakers, Mavericks etc.. can eat all the luxury tax that is thrown at them, they are the NBA's version of the Yankees. There are probably 25 other owners that are upset with them because they simply cannot compete financially As to where the players would go, this would be a losing proposition for them, they would all have to see their salaries cut in half which would be harsh

dallaskd
07-12-2010, 12:14 AM
I do like the way NHL does things, NBA could be much better if it learned a little something from the NHL of course NHL could learn a little something from NBA as well, but that's another story

explain yourself

Smooth Criminal
07-12-2010, 12:38 AM
There's only so much the NHL can do to improve. Unfortunately for them they can't stop playing Hockey and pick a different sport..

eyeh8u
07-12-2010, 01:56 AM
you people really think riley has not accounted for this?

if a dumb sportswriter knows this im sure Moses does too

baseline bum
07-12-2010, 03:28 AM
The scenario that I heard is that the league will essentially make everyone in the league a free agent, re-negotiating deals to get under the new cap. That would have to happen because if they grandfather the contracts, teams will not be able to afford it.

The players would never accept that. What a pipe dream.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 04:03 AM
The players would never accept that.

Nor would their lawyers and agents. I'd be interested in learning what clause in an NBA contract could allow for the document to be voided by league mandate. Nobody would ever sign a contract that could be essentially dissolved without penalizing the owners and/or league for the remainder of salary owed.

Basketballgirl25
07-12-2010, 06:28 AM
explain yourself

Well with Hockey, I think it's more entertaining, with NHL I can always guess who is going to win at the end of the season, but most of the time I am never right. With basketball I usually guess a team that is going to win and most years I've been right since I've started that, it's easier to guess in the NBA, because from looking at it all not as many tough teams and players don't move around at much as NHL. NBA would be a lot more entertaining if players moved around as much as Hockey player and teams were more on the even end and not two great teams, I mean two great teams just over kills the whole thing, at least we got college basketball to watch to save us all at times

Basketballgirl25
07-12-2010, 06:33 AM
There's only so much the NHL can do to improve. Unfortunately for them they can't stop playing Hockey and pick a different sport..

true, that is why I said that NHL is for another story. But Hockey has deff improved over the years I've been watching, Basketball is going down hill since I've started watching